Final Mix: A Black 2 Required Battles Only Nuzlocke

Extravanganza Accordian Demo Extravanganza Accordian Demo Extravanganza Accordian Demo

Alba Corbina

Johto League Champion
Badges
Pronouns
She/Her
Dex Entry Entry unknown.
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
I'm glad to see this run back in action, but some of your image links and (more importantly) your gym video aren't working...

Uberle

Zine’s out, you should read it
Badges
Pronouns
he/him
Dex Entry Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bothers him
Pronouns
he/him
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
And caught up.

Love the rule set and all the detail you put in for how each mon can be used.

Honestly I expected this run to be more bloody.
Good job so far.
Don't take a year to update again. (joking)

0 Anonymous

Johto League Champion
Badges
Pronouns
Unspecified
Dex Entry Entry unknown.
Pronouns
Unspecified
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
So eh, how were those exams?

Nice to see this back in action though, I've been following it for a good while. It's cool to see you strategize on EXP.

Celia Dawn

Pronouns
Unspecified
Oh hell yeah! Strategy runs are easily my favorite, and I'm happy to see this one continuing.

The hardest run I've ever attempted was a combination no grinding + povertylocke, but this seems insane. When I finish my current run, I think I'm going to try something along these lines. Either way, I'm easily adding this to the list of runs I'm following.

OP
Sheepscope

Sheepscope

Johto League Champion
Badges
Pronouns
Mostly she or they, rarely he :)
Dex Entry Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.
Pronouns
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
Alba Corbina: It's good to be back! I've been feeling better in the weeks leading up to this post, partially due to my medication now. It's been treating me pretty well.

Uberle: Yeah, I'm hoping that doesn't change. It's going to get tight, though.

0 Anonymous: Not great. I still passed, thank goodness.
It's a surprisingly precious commodity. I never thought I'd be so desperate for it.

Celia Dawn: Thanks! Good to have you here.
...Holy heck. How did you live without items?
I'm already eager to see what strategies you employ! I'll be looking out for that!
87l7OBG.png

So last time, I forgot that Team Plasma shows up here.
I'll take free exp. any day.

dARHauH.png

...Oh.

No hard feelings for the smack down I want to bring across the region?

8TrIUlV.png
RgdeqUF.png

FYI: I kept missing one of the last two experience shots, and reloaded the game to make sure I had them. It doesn't really show, but Cenric's health was originally a lot higher against the second (female) Grunt: turns out I got really lucky the first time I got through Trubbish. I nearly ran out of Dig PP the next several times--I missed the screenshot every time!

...So apparently RNG and I are good.

giphy.gif

Our first evolution! And thankfully not the last. XD

Onto the second!

7vQLOn9.png
aZwlIUy.png

The order in which I'm fighting the Grunts matters a little--I switched in Brynn for the second one because I was worried they would level up from facing Watchog first--but apparently the yield wasn't enough.

I'll just heal Cenric up in a second--

OnG3Lhg.png
gg7SeO8.png

Or the game will do it for me. >:(

Yeah, I forgot about that, too. I had to travel down to the Virbank Complex, and wait for a Magnemite to paralyze him with Thundershock--and I was debating between keeping that or poison for Clay.

Win some, lose some.

oyu1oiK.png

You know what, I'll deal with it later. Brynn's going to be soloing Charles anyway.

OH3FZQj.png
zcAftyR.png
zkrMnfE.png

He's programmed to be a RotationB2/TripleW2 battle, and won't take no for an answer--even if you have less than three Pokemon when you talk to him.

It's probably the third possible scripted softlock I think about within the Pokemon games, but it's the least problematic of the bunch; most people would have caught at least three Pokemon, or had three left at this point--Charles's team is decently powerful, but tends to waste time using Guard moves.

(The second is Geosenge Town's inaccessibility, save with Fly, during the Ultima Weapon segment.
The first is the twins on BW!Route 3: they're scripted to block a party with only one Pokemon. I'm kind of shocked I've never seen a Nuzlocker run into this one, given how some people handle gift and capture clauses, and the lethality of the Striaton Gym.)

I have actually gotten close to this benchmark once--on a Game of Chance-Wedlocke fusion, I only had two left from Elesa, and my two captures in the area.

Also, it just dawned on me what my solution to Reversal Mountain could be. Double battle. Wow. And I need to have Hubert test that theory, because it might have a consecutive trigger.

xkEkOof.png
F6SUcRN.png
T9nQ9Tz.png

I've been debating for a while about whether I was going to take Imogen or Katrina with me to help against Clay, and I've chosen Katrina--she evolves in two levels, which even after Brynn's Exp. Share, should be one after this fight--

vaDI2hz.png
8pX9IF8.png

...I guess it could have been Kevak, too. Poor guy really isn't getting much screentime, but he's been keeping the Liepards off my back.

Also, I assure you in some universe Hubert's side makes sense.

TfQVkaj.png

Actually, there is something else I want to mention regarding Hubert: those who watched the Mandibuzz sweep might have noticed I recorded it on Black 2, instead of White 2. It was just convenient; I was mapping out the required trainers route on Victory Road for the main run, so I decided to record the sweep first before I made the trek. It's technically the same set of maps for both version, just with a few bridges added or removed, but I wanted to get used to the route I'd be taking.

I don't think anyone noticed the color change of the status bar, but I thought I'd be upfront with what was going on there. It was still his save file, just the wrong version.

And now, onto a Nuzlocke-honored tradition:

wWsuZ8P.png
jxEWMeO.png

The capture of a Ducklett. And the usual trip to the box.

Kind of a waste, really.

I know Gens 4-5 really changed the playing field and the overall difficulty we've come to expect. Movesets on average have improved to levels we couldn't even imagine back in RGBY.

So my question is: why does Swanna get such a bum rap?

I would have imagined that, out of all the Pokemon Unova introduced, Swanna has one of the poorest ability, moveset, and stat combinations--but this isn't true. For abilities, they get Keen Eye and Big Pecks. Both are rather good--and famous among Kanto's bird population. (The hidden ability, Hydration, is thankfully hard to find.)

So what about the learnset? It's certainly below the curve, but it's not awful. They already know Feather Dance (!!!) at this point, learn Air Slash soon after, and then there's natural Tailwind and Hurricane (and Roost, but I don't go for it--the type advantage is wasted if the user moves second, and I prefer a good stock of healing items), and the usual Water type-TM/HM staples...but that's as far as it goes.

(Any other status moves I haven't mentioned aren't going to help me, as far as I can tell.)

Stats? We've seen these before on Zebstrika, the Simian lines...and yet so many Nuzlockers have worked with them. That's not saying any of these species are great, but there's enough for people to come back to them. That said, compared to them, Ducklett is introduced rather late in the game, and with that double-weakness...yeah.

I don't think Swanna is really that bad...but the way it was incorporated onto Skyla's team* certainly was, and that doesn't help.

*Outside of Challenge Mode, but she could use a better set for a sixth gym leader.

Min4hnV.png

At long last...Driftveil.

This is going to be a thing. I'm going to be jumping back and forth between here and Route 6 to get everything done, and put myself in the best position for Clay and beyond.

This is the critical point.

VCB5dMH.png
IbuOy7z.png

I was going to teach Brynn Volt Switch anyway, but I really wanted Signal Beam. You'll see why in a minute.

NQNspns.png

I'm grabbing the items right now, but not my encounter just yet. I'm pushing Brynn's level just a little higher for the dark grass--I'm hoping I can eke Level 29 out of the next few trainers, but it won't be a big loss.

kTLE8K8.png
Q0yq4ib.png

It feels kind of weird that this Scientist is the first required field trainer in a while. I can't get around him with Surf, and he doesn't rotate, so I have to face his Deerling.

6CJOovw.png
inQNOtj.png

The exp isn't quite enough to level up, so Rood's Swoobat's won't be diminished--and that damage was from a +1 Jump Kick (he always uses an X-Attack on the first turn). No Eviolite, but still. Gave me a mini-panic when Signal Beam didn't OHKO like I thought it would.

CRDVsuF.png

The Foongus lennies--I marked these fake items as such to be helpful and for personal reasons. See, with any Nuzlocke run, I go through routes in a procedural way: I get the items as I go, look for my encounter, and then head back to town to regroup. I don't really like having to run from a Pokemon just because I didn't remember it was a fake item, especially when I'm repelling for a specific encounter or grass patch (in which case that would replace my encounter). I checked Bulbapedia this time, so it worked out okay, thank heavens.

I like the line, but the mechanic trolls me half the time. Apparently there's a lot of Foongus fans on the SSWL Discord, so if the faces bother either you guys or the rest of my readers, let me know, and I'll replace them with the regular sprite.

pkDlKhD.png

Now I have to go deal with Team Plasma's rain of terror.

zuMEwdG.png
1qx7x8A.png

And then close my debate about whether this is a legal catch or not.

N's Pokemon are still registered under him, and come with preset Natures, Abilities, and IVs, like most trades, so I decided that I wouldn't activate the event to catch them (so no Lvl. 35 Zen Mode Darmanitan for me :(). Most of them are wild, except for Zorua here.

He's got great utility in Illusion and his Dark typing: combined with someone weak to Psychic moves or resistent to the rest of the set in the back slot, he can just chip away at something 30 levels higher than he (and therefore he's got great synergy with Cenric and Brynn).

Right now he's my best counter to Caitlin's Metagross, and does some much-needed support work elsewhere, with less experience investment needed. He'd end up between Level 33 and 38, depending on who he fights.

I thought at first the boosted experience was grounds to not use him at all...but honestly? I want to have some fun, and that's exactly what I've planned for this soon-to-be Zoroark.

Welcome to the team, Sydney.

iTP09bV.png
t8Wt97Y.png

I know I've said I don't care about speed in this run, but I'd make a few exceptions for 'mons like him. That max Speed and base 105 turned out to be extremely helpful.

I did say last update it would be a pleasure to work with him, didn't I? >:)

89MV1bp.png
nH4HYay.png

I think I can get Brynn to Level 29 through the gym trainers, so I'm going to fight them there before I make my Route 6 catch. If I can manage Level 27 for Cenric, that would be great too!

There's a map below detailing the shortest possible route to Clay--and I've already checked: the miners will notice the player before they can reach the conveyor belts.

(I already picked up every item in town save the Expert Belt. We'll have a Level 30 pretty soon.)

mAOhJdJ.png

Bulbapedia actually addresses the required trainers in Driftveil Gym--while looking at their map (marked as usual), the page mentions how a player can fight a minimum of two trainers--which I've never read on any other gym article they have. It was a nice surprise while I was planning things.

MuI55xu.png
tBWMseo.png

The Baltoys in the gym don't have any Ground moves, but they do have Extrasensory and Ancient Power. It's an easy two-shot with Signal Beam at any rate.

UBRGfLy.png
HJOgb8l.png

The second battle was pretty uneventful at first--I avoided a Dig with his own Dig. :)

Froiv0X.png
qkYFFzg.png

Another Baltoy. With Sandile coming up, I figured I had this in the bag. That Intimidate wouldn't change anything.

I9rVBvc.png

...So Sandile started off with Mud-Slap, and Wake-Up Slap kept on missing, allowing him to set up Embargo, and then Swagger, a Defense drop, and still Cenric kept on missing or hitting himself. Right before I took this shot, I watched the message bar to see if Embargo had expired...and it hadn't. I didn't think he could land a hit right now, assuming he'd live the next Crunch or Mud-Slap, so I had to switch. But to whom? Katrina and Imogen would soak up the experience, Kevak would die, and there's always a risk of Mud Slap against Brynn.

I felt I had to take the gamble.

RM3rdVh.png
mFeSKMu.png

...Thank goodness he used Crunch.

936MUcz.png

And that was only the gym trainers.

J5AkGHR.png

It turned out, yeah, Clay's Excadrill had the best possible Nature. I can't exploit lowered Speed with this crew yet, and the raised Attack...yep. I figured my best shot was to leave Cenric unevolved, and hopefully a little more bulk with Eviolite could save the day.

I was going to grab the Route 6 encounter right now anyway, or end the update here...but I got in a crazy mood, and thought, "You don't need a Grass type or Shelmet; you can just beat him right now."

And I just ran with that.

COEc5BH.png

TlZfov1.png
roD2cO7.png

• Krokorok: Lvl 28/31, Relaxed, all 12s. Intimidate
    • Bulldoze
    • Crunch
    • Sand Tomb
    • Torment
  • Krokorok: Lvl 34, Hasty, all 30s. @Sitrus Berry, Intimidate
    • Bulldoze
    • Crunch
    • Sandstorm
    • Torment

The plan here is to counter Intimidate (which I never remember XD) with Work Up, then OHKO with Wake-Up Slap.
I actually considered having Brynn hold an Air Balloon and Signal Beam it instead, since Krokorok tends to lead with Sandstorm and Torment. But they'll be better as a backup later in the fight.

Cenric was paralyzed on the first turn only, then did everything nice and neatly. The damage was from Crunch and Sandstorm.

Onix will be out next, since it's the 'mon with the highest base power move, Explosion (250), accounting for STAB and type effectiveness.

sMuvURT.png
Z6F9wbu.png

XMtnldE.png
4FVAT4j.png

• Onix: Lvl 34, Quiet, all 30s. Sturdy
    • Bulldoze
    • Rock Slide
    • Explosion
    • Rock Polish

In the video, I forgot whether Torment is affected by item usage: it isn't, so I ended up attacking Onix instead to be productive.

What I was trying to do was to stack Work Up boosts while Onix whittled down Cenric's health enough to proc Explosion (and healed in anticipation of that, but that didn't work out). It'd make Sandslash go much quicker (and therefore be far less dangerous), and he can tank an Explosion very well anyway.

Neither Krokorok nor Onix ever used Bulldoze. I suspect that's because he's slower than them, but it's still their best move (90 v. 60 or 56)...?

3cGTxBX.png

Incindentally, he's at +2 now.

gdLjRi4.png
xQLgatv.png

hyuvvdT.png
kKFCM37.png

• Sandslash: Lvl 28/31, Serious, all 12s. Sand Veil
    • Bulldoze
    • Crush Claw
    • Rollout
    • Fury Cutter
  • Sandslash: Lvl 34, Mild, all 30s. Sand Veil
    • Bulldoze
    • Crush Claw
    • Rock Slide
    • Hone Claws

This was the one I was really afraid of: between Hone Claws boosts and Crush Claws defense drops, a critical is absolutely fatal, and sets up disaster for Excadrill. I prepared Brynn to counter this with Reflect (on a free switch, that is). But...

pPc3Hhf.png
FBCQ6z9.png

Ln9Bon2.png
KSCdFMk.png

• Excadrill: Lvl 30/33, Rash, all 18s. @Sitrus Berry, Sand Force
    • Bulldoze
    • Metal Claw
    • Slash
    • Rock Slide
  • Excadrill: Lvl 36, Brave, all 30s. @Sitrus Berry, Sand Force
    • Bulldoze
    • Metal Claw
    • Slash
    • Rock Slide

How much Slash did there--that's about how much Explosion would have done.

QlXH9Oa.png

...Was that really it?

Alba Corbina

Johto League Champion
Badges
Pronouns
She/Her
Dex Entry Entry unknown.
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Awesome job with Clay!

I'll be honest, I didn't even notice you'd edited the Foongus sprites until you pointed it out.

OP
Sheepscope

Sheepscope

Johto League Champion
Badges
Pronouns
Dex Entry Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.
Pronouns
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
I'm alive! I'm actually alive!
Since it's been so long, let me know if any descriptions, links, doodads, or my sanity is broken. I've got a post to make elsewhere. >:D

tEyrr48.png
YpfAUpY.png

I've decided to wait on catching my Route 6 encounter until after I have Surf. While my encounters here are more dupes gathering, I have a few options I've been thinking about.

• Tranquill is part of a chain that gains Altaria, so that I can safely navigate Victory Road's grass. There's two options I'm looking at for the final team, and with the grass before the caves safely dupes (but unfornately not Repellable, with my levels, probably), I have more room to choose.

• Shelmet allows me to catch Gligar on Route 11, who is one of several Pokemon I want to gather to guarantee Route 23's. Any of the three I have in mind is an good emergency reserve, but 23's is the strongest for sure.

• Nosepass helps increase the chance I'll run into the 'mon I'm looking for in Chargestone Cave, but this one's role can be filled by the Victory Road chain, and I'm a little leery about my odds here. We'll see what happens.
If one path doesn't pan out, I can cross back onto another.

PK9YJ2d.png
RpkTOah.png

I recommending going with the 'mons in your box over your current team if you're having trouble coming up with a no-faint strategy. For example, it worked out that a Roselia was better at clearing out Dewott, who would've made a dent large enough for Tranquill to finish the job.

1BUsPSj.png
G013x79.png

Speaking of birds, Imogen is joining us for this segment: she has great resistance against Simisage and Watchog, and only takes damage from Elgyem's weaker Attack stat. Gabrella (the Ducklett) can also work here, countering Cheren's Work Ups with Feather Dance.

Brynn and Cenric are holding Eviolite and Leftovers to bolster their defenses and longelevity, but there's nothing I can do for Imogen to counter Weak Armor, so I'm instead boosting her damage output. Her opponents will all be using contact moves anyway, and Fury Swipes gives her multiple bites. >:)

Lastly, I chose to edit in Cenric's final form now. At this point, there's no benefit I can get from Eviolite boosted defenses over the higher Attack stat and a Choice Band, and he doesn't have any missable moves.

vSOMca0.png

I was going to discuss why I chose Cenric as my lead (over Brynn), but I think it just came down to keeping damage off everyone else--I've been hit hard before.

Dewott: Aqua Jet, Water Pulse, Revenge, Fury Cutter
Stoutland:Tackle, Work Up, Bite, Odor Sleuth
Magneton: Thunder Wave, Supersonic, Thundershock, Mirror Shot

57SoKM5.png

Damage isn't an issue against Dewott in this case: Thunder Punch is a clean OHKO with Sheer Force, but without it things can be a little tight. I did consider having Gabrella wall him, but she wouldn't be in great shape by the end of it.

If I had picked Snivy or Oshawott, my lead would be a Gigalith or Brynn, respectively, instead, and then I'd take a Ducklett/Mandibuzz and Steel or Rock type 'mon as usual.

w9reiJT.png

Switching to Brynn for this one.

daQYu97.png

Tranquill mostly spammed Detect, so several Thundershocks later...

I'll switch to Imogen when Brynn is on their last legs.

92b6xtV.png

Or not. That last Seed Bomb was a critical.

EH10123.png
C9DDJyR.png

RIP my Poison+Guts strategy.

c0JdSVE.png

Low Kick OHKO--although Intimidate would have changed that.

bOxfGsW.png
sfCfSdT.png

Fly did around a third, but Cinccino only landed a Sing and spammed Work Up the rest of the time.

XFw2Czb.png
DgpwGcf.png

Another Low Kick OHKO.

6XodA7h.png
xaMI7ok.png

I've always considered Colress to be the easiest fight.

ho2mQbs.png

Honestly expecting most of these to be OHKOs now.

YVx05TP.png

See?

ZaRifHJ.png
Cvo7MJ5.png

Probably would have been with Wake-Up Slap. And surprisingly, he doesn't learn coverage the next time I'll fight him; I'm thinking he'll be set to Easy Mode, since there's no challenge.

2JyfDOi.png

*eagerly waits to raid for TMs and competitive items*

VpaS5un.png
LFbmBop.png

081ECg8.png
pAOZLfw.png

I've been nervous about these trainers since the start of the run. It's not that they're particularly dangerous to any of my team members (and Cheren's help in the next battle makes this reaaaaaaally easy), even with Koffing's Selfdestruct...

0ofbMzq.png
AG5IjsB.png

ENh5mLH.png
cwNpOox.png

But I have failed before in trying to get a Magnemite to Level 30 at this point. I wasn't worried at the time, but boy, did I regret it when I realized...

hhbrYpz.png

So.

This is the last required exp before Skyla.

Not in her gym, not in Chargestone Cave, nothing.

So my team will be at Level 30 for the fight against her Level 42 ace, whom no one can fully resist. The rest of the fight is easy, it's just when Swanna comes in.

13RnsD4.gif

Welcome to the level gap.

JP2jKiI.png

It's been...apparently four years? Since I went back to this run, so the log I'm finishing this on (yes, it's been close to done for four years) I had to reacquaint myself with confused me at first--the last Plasma fight isn't immediately after this paragraph. I forgot I why I did things in this order, that I was so worried at the time about evolving...I feel like I had this all along. Hindsight's 20/20, huh? Looks like I had plenty of room to get some exp for the next guy.

Yes, we going back.

5eiqIo7.png

ALL the way back.

I guess I could have done this before the Cheren grunts if I let Cenric get to Level 30 on the second fight...I'm not doing the math on that after all this time, and it's not going to make a difference since I don't think I planned on risking this little guy v. Skyla.

Anyway, apparently I was okay with Repelling at this level...I don't remember how Relic Castle's floors work anymore, so I'm wondering what the hell was I thinking? Past me seemed to be sure this was safe.

ObS6XMh.png

I'm honestly not sure if I want to be past me or not. One hand, I'd still have a reasonable time I'd have taken to complete my degree, and my dad wasn't listening to Fox "news" shows so obnoxiously (and particularly loudly). On the other hand, I feel as dead as I did back then, but I have a job, I'm free from my fucking degree (in the sense that I was finally allowed to quit), I'm actually posting on the forums!!!, and maybe I can enjoy drawing again!

But, honestly, it's these two fuckers are the reason I'm back. :)
@Veegee & @Champ Siggi, thank you so much. <3

fOVaMPi.png

Because if you guys are going to shove me into a blender with a Level 1 Magikarp, I'm going to make something out of it, god damn it! XD

Now let's get that encounter and get this run a move on! >:D

pDKlFov.png

CudjIEq.png

...Okay, this probably comes as no surprise to y'all who have heard me gushing over this little guy, and how much fun I had with Power Split with these rules. ;D But with how powerful Volcarona can be, why would I give that all up? Volk can handle at least one of Skyla's team members at base level, and with more experience and tutor moves, might have been a lot of fun. Not having the best moves would hurt, but if I wanted to, I could make it work. And I'd figure out how to pigeonhole them around the plethora of Rock moves Unova loves so much.

But I like this. Broken strats are fun, but funny, oddball ideas that also break things they never should are even funnier.

Brynn may be the strongest member of the run, but Vivien is probably my favorite.

VzHH4bs.png
8ixPhY2.png

yXksqgB.png
UK619qh.png

dIdkKAq.png

It's been four years since you joined...but welcome aboard. :)

2ZskX8e.png
5eqdXKp.png

Breaking tradition for this update, but with how long it's been, it's not going to kill me.

LOL @ that Special Defense and Speed, plus Modest. Definitely not great, but I'll take it.

THE CHILD

*bursts into emotion all over the place*

Champ Siggi

Currently owns a marshtomp named "Champ"
Badges
Pronouns
He/Him
Dex Entry Very mysterious.
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 15, 2022
I came because when you mention someone the someone gets notified and I'm glad that shoving a lv. 1 magikarp into the magic blender with you caused you to come back. (:< Lol

aegagrusScholarship

Problems and Issues Haver
Badges
Pronouns
yeah
Dex Entry balls
Pronouns
yeah
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 9, 2021
Nature
Hasty
super interesting run! i love super analytical runs and this is fun. also nice on the lackof planned sack strats, that’s spicy. surprised there’s not more death but hey that’s a good thing

also your part 3 images along with what i think are the gifs on all parts are all broken.

Users who are viewing this thread