• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Nine of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode contains a discussion segment on gjinka nuzlockes, as well as the continuations of all our fabulous featured stories.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
Thread Description
if your gf wants you in her life forever does that means she wants to marry you // updated September 15th

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
oh my god Kenneth is so pure I can't stand it 😭

like him, I also tire socially easily... a way out is always appreciated, especially when sympathetic friends or family help give you one, Naomi is so good;;;;

Rose continues to be a shit, but you know who else is shitty? Kenneth's parents!!!! like oh my god how could you not be there for him, how could you continually deny this responsibility so frequently? like just UGH

also I do enjoy the description in the hotel of there being the voices of dragons and birds of prey, reminds us of the fantastical world these characters inhabit

Garish Garchomp

Friendly Neighborhood Landshark
Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
he has no business looking so good when he also looks like he just rolled out of bed.
This could be the subtitle for this story tbh. Poor Kenneth… (EDIT: Christ almighty you really killed him in 38. How are there more chapters after that? He’s dead! Stop it!)

“And after all the dragons I fought through to get to you…”
I wish his Flygon had been out. I feel like that fucker would be as much of a shitbird as Raihan is and would 100% play along with everything. Shit, now I have to make some notes for my fic…

Also tbh just reading these first couple chapters of the update, you have such a gift in not only bringing all these charries to life, but also making each and every one of them a fucking dork in the best way possible. This run is just too blessed tbh. Too pure. Too fluffy. (And then I get to those Rose chapters and it’s a little less dorky and fluffy, but I still love it! And I enjoy the outsider’s perspective on Rose being sketch and Naomi just being like “yeah, that’s no bueno” about his shit lmao)

Oh yes also 37 is the cutest thing ever posted on the nuzforums ok thanks I’m just gonna sob for a while now (and ignore 41(.1) because only happy things happen in this story and only happy things with Kenneth lalalalalalalala) ;;;w;;;

localhoney

grook
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
In short, heaven is her.
wow this is literally the sweetest thing i've ever heard
She pokes his cheek and sings, “But you like it.”
naomi is such a damn tease!!!
The sort of thing his parents should say.
ouch
“She’d give you the world if she could,” his grandfather continues. “I see it in the way she looks at you, and talks to you, and talks about you.”

“What, you two gossip about me?”

He smirks. “Sometimes.”
Oak/Naomi gossip extra needed!!! asap!!!
“You owe him so fucking much—”

“That it is literally impossible to make it up to him!”
hey wow cool i didn't think i was going to nearly cry thanks 13th

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The reason she guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that she wants them to hurry up and leave.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
oh my god Kenneth is so pure I can't stand it 😭

like him, I also tire socially easily... a way out is always appreciated, especially when sympathetic friends or family help give you one, Naomi is so good;;;;

Rose continues to be a shit, but you know who else is shitty? Kenneth's parents!!!! like oh my god how could you not be there for him, how could you continually deny this responsibility so frequently? like just UGH

also I do enjoy the description in the hotel of there being the voices of dragons and birds of prey, reminds us of the fantastical world these characters inhabit
I love him he's perfect 😭

Kenneth got all my introverted qualities and then some, that whole thing was just a mood. Really glad Naomi can recognize when he might need an out.

Regarding his parents, just big :'D You're gonna love some later parts oh boy

And thank you! I had to include something, especially considering the Wild Area is right there.
This could be the subtitle for this story tbh. Poor Kenneth… (EDIT: Christ almighty you really killed him in 38. How are there more chapters after that? He’s dead! Stop it!)

I wish his Flygon had been out. I feel like that fucker would be as much of a shitbird as Raihan is and would 100% play along with everything. Shit, now I have to make some notes for my fic…

Also tbh just reading these first couple chapters of the update, you have such a gift in not only bringing all these charries to life, but also making each and every one of them a fucking dork in the best way possible. This run is just too blessed tbh. Too pure. Too fluffy. (And then I get to those Rose chapters and it’s a little less dorky and fluffy, but I still love it! And I enjoy the outsider’s perspective on Rose being sketch and Naomi just being like “yeah, that’s no bueno” about his shit lmao)

Oh yes also 37 is the cutest thing ever posted on the nuzforums ok thanks I’m just gonna sob for a while now (and ignore 41(.1) because only happy things happen in this story and only happy things with Kenneth lalalalalalalala) ;;;w;;;
;alksdjf look I know, you are correct that that should just be the subtitle and that Kenneth is a dead man walking but death by beautiful people is the way he'd wanna go

His Flygon would def play along, Raihan Too Much for his Pokemon not to take after him.

And ;;;w;;; Sonia, Leon, and Raihan in particular got along so easily when I wrote them. They just fit together, and Naomi and Kenneth somehow manage to slot in with them.

Yes, only happy things happen in this story! Even with Rose and parent problems! Just happy things! Only good things happen in this fic! There is no war in Ba Sing Se!
wow this is literally the sweetest thing i've ever heard

naomi is such a damn tease!!!

ouch

Oak/Naomi gossip extra needed!!! asap!!!

hey wow cool i didn't think i was going to nearly cry thanks 13th
;;;;w;;;;

Naomi teases him too much and I love her for it.

I'm gonna have to properly write something with Naomi and Oak one day, they're good beans in their equally mischievous ways, to Kenneth's chagrin.

I have no apologies for the parent stuff and I'm not sorry about it. 😤

Reminder for Naomi's team, just in case: Shirou is a Lapras and Ren is a Butterfree.

They’re the only five in the stadium. Raihan clears the place of everyone—gym trainers, janitors, even security. He laughs about how he and Naomi will need complete focus to battle each other, but Kenneth suspects there’s an actual reason and that it has to do with Rose.

The stadium itself lends some credence to his theory. It is the final gym, so it makes sense that Hammerlocke’s is the most extravagant of them all. Black stone wraps it in massive, stylized wings, but the tower that stands overhead is the most interesting detail.

“It’s part of the power plant,” Sonia tells him. “It’s supposed to collect solar energy.”

Supposed to.

“Alright,” Raihan says before he or Naomi steps onto the field. He grins devilishly, and Kenneth wonders if he does that on purpose or if that’s just the way he smiles. He doesn’t know which is worse for his heart. “You know my gimmick. What’s yours?”

He’s almost jealous of how immune Naomi is. “Gimmick?” she asks.

“For your gym. I cock about with weather, and you…?”

“Oh. Mine was… cheating,” she laughs.

“Cheating?”

She glances at Kenneth bashfully. “Um. So, I’m telepathic, so—”

“Shove off.” His eyes practically sparkle. “Really?”

“Yeah. So… Here, Kenneth’ll say what I’m thinking at you. Um.”

It’s something sweet, literally. Cold. Happy, temporal. She keeps it clear-cut for Raihan but makes it a guessing game for Kenneth, and he laughs softly when he identifies it. “She wants bubble tea after this.”

Raihan’s eyes go wide.

“It’s wicked, isn’t it?” Sonia says.

Leon perks up and leans forward in his seat. “Wait, I want to see, try me!”

“Sure,” Naomi laughs. “Um… Oh, okay.”

She thinks of Kyou. Kenneth isn’t sure how much clarity she offers to Leon and the others—or if she’s even thinking this to anyone but himself and Leon, she doesn’t fill him in on that much—but he gets the sentiment. “She’s saying—”

“Wait,” Leon says, turning a playful frown on Naomi. “Are you saying Charizard isn’t the best Kantonian starter.”

She grins mischievously. “Maybe,” she sings. “I’m not biased.”

She’s adorable.

“Wicked,” Raihan laughs. “Very on brand gimmick.”

She shrugs proudly. “I try. I’d only really use it against late badge trainers, though. Try to throw them off.”

Raihan claps his hands and heads onto the field, grinning and walking backwards, his phone floating around him ready to record—the very picture of confidence in one of its most attractive forms. “Throw me off, then! I’m more than a late badge challenger, come at me with everything you’ve got!”

Naomi hands Kenneth her bag with a teasing smile. “You’re rooting for me, right?”

“Of course.” He plants a firm kiss on her cheek, both as reassurance and as a small apology for staring at Raihan too much. “Good luck, though you don’t need it.”

“You flatter me, thank you.” She spins away brightly and runs to her spot on the field.
Naomi lies and it’s hilarious.

Kenneth only ever saw a few of Naomi’s late badge battles, but from what he witnessed and what Naomi told him, her strategies went like this: Trainers challenging her for their sixth badge dealt with a little telepathy here and there. It looked more like her Pokémon acted on their own on occasion.

Those seeking their seventh badge dealt with far more silent commands than spoken ones. They had to rely on their own ability to predict her and on their Pokémon’s instincts.

Those dumb enough to leave her for last couldn’t trust a single word that came out of her mouth.

Raihan, of all people, should have recognized that she’s a troll.

To his credit, he and his Pokémon are quick thinkers, and he catches on fast. Commands meant to look like her Pokémon were simply disobeying put Raihan on the defensive. Shirou creates a barrier of ice when Naomi calls for an attack on his Flygon, drawing attention away from Ren and creating an opening for him to swoop in. An alleged Surf meant for Gigalith pulls Flygon in range for the Ice Beam that Shirou actually fires—and just barely misses.

Raihan laughs when he seems to figure it out. He shouts over the sandstorm, “You’re going to make me look bad in front of Nessie when she sees this!”

Naomi puts her arms up and makes a heart for the camera.

Kenneth flashes back to all the times she has deliberately screwed them over in co-op games for shits and giggles, but he loves her all the same. For some reason.

Ren goes down first, to a Thunder Punch-Rock Blast combo that Shirou isn’t quick enough to counter with Psychic. He redirects his attack to the Gigalith before it can launch another Rock Blast, leaving him and the Flygon.

Raihan laughs as he recalls his Gigalith. “Bollocks.”

Flygon has to get close to attack, and Naomi plays that to her advantage. Bursts of Psychic and walls of water keep him at bay, and Shirou gets the chance to freeze a sheet of water over the field, granting himself mobility without giving Flygon an opening.

Kenneth feels self-conscious with Leon and Raihan around, but he cheers and applauds when Raihan recalls his Flygon.
Raihan leaps over the counter in a fluid, effortless motion that is more attractive than it has any right to be. He hands Naomi a holographic card, of the same mind as Nessa. He even already asked them for Instagram follows, as she promised. “Now how in the bloody hell is anyone supposed to win a badge from you?”

“They don’t have to beat me,” she says, inspecting the card at an angle that Kenneth can’t see well enough. “They just have to handle themselves and their Pokémon well enough. Which, I mean, for a final badge usually means beating me,” she mutters. “But still!”

Raihan laughs. “So I suppose I didn’t earn my… Marsh Badge.”

“Hey, if you were going all out, you would’ve won.” She holds the card aside. It’s a selfie Raihan took with a small crowd, devilish smirk and all. Kenneth considers plucking it out of her hand right in front of him, helpless as that is. “I could only keep you guessing for so long, and you’ve got way more Pokémon suited to doubles than I do. I feel like you went easy on me.”

“Why’s that?”

“You didn’t dynamax!”

Raihan lifts his chin and grins. “Nope, a strategic move, that one. Why give you a bigger target when you already had the advantage?”

She squints at him. “Okay…”
Leon asks when he gets to battle her, and somehow the conversation turns to his brother.

Naomi’s a little distant while Leon talks, filling them (mostly Sonia) in on the dip in Hop’s mood as of late. Kenneth takes her hand, and that seems to bring her back.

He means to ask what’s on her mind later, when they go off on their own to get that bubble tea she wants. But Leon comments that Hop will make a great trainer, and she says, “You should tell him that. If you haven’t.”

It’s Sabrina.

All eyes turn to her. She falters under everyone’s gaze, but he squeezes her hand and she continues, “I just— My older sister was the bigshot trainer of the house, and I never really knew what she thought about me and always assumed the worst.” She shrugs. “Being in her shadow and all… I dunno. Maybe Hop feels similarly…”

“Oh,” Leon says softly. “I’ll… keep that in mind. Especially now.”

Sonia tugs on his sleeve—holds his sleeve.

Raihan shoots Kenneth a look, and Kenneth can’t help but smile. He has to turn away.

“I can keep an eye on him?” Sonia says. “Next time we run into him.”

It does seem painfully obvious, considering how gently Leon replies, “That— I’d appreciate that, Sonia, thank you.”
The first thing Kenneth asks Naomi once they’re out of earshot of the others is if she’s okay.

She has to draw herself out of it—deep breath, deliberate smile. But she isn’t hiding anything when she says, “Yeah. I dunno, started thinking too much.” She’s pensive for a moment, despite her statement. “Is it weird that I’m a little worried about him? After that Bede kid, and now what Leon said…”

He puts his arm around her waist and pulls her close against his side. It’s comforting having her there. “Reminds you of you?”

She shrugs, a slight motion that shifts his arm. He tugs her closer, and she settles against him, though it throws their footsteps off. “I guess a little. Maybe it’s more Leon that reminds me…”

She pulls her phone out and swiftly changes the topic. It’s casual, easy, and her tone and posture suggest she has nothing more to say on the matter. She isn’t avoiding anything, so he doesn’t need to push. “Oh, so there’s two places I wanna go. They’re supposed to be the best tea shops in Hammerlocke.” Her tone lightens into something proud and determined. “But I wanna see for myself.”

And he wonders.

Kenneth knows what else he’d like him to cock about with. 😏

43 always makes me a little sad because... Naomi would've made such a great gym leader if it had been her choice. Just u_u all around.

Also I totally did not forget that dynamaxing was a thing when I wrote this battle, nope.

localhoney

grook
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
Naomi hands Kenneth her bag with a teasing smile. “You’re rooting for me, right?”
cuuuuuuuuuuuuuute~

“Oh. Mine was… cheating,” she laughs.

“Cheating?”
If the Pokemon games had a real telepath and they wouldn't telegraph everything they were gonna do, the games would probably be hard as fuck. So going up against Naomi in Kanto with 7 badges was probably an ass-whooping and a half.
I feel like you went easy on me.”

“Why’s that?”

“You didn’t dynamax!”
I thought this was a cute exchange until I read this:
Also I totally did not forget that dynamaxing was a thing when I wrote this battle, nope.
And then I just snorted. Imagine forgetting the region's whole gimmick.
“You should tell him that. If you haven’t.”

It’s Sabrina.
Nooooo, 13th, you don't get to make me feel things. This story is so cutesy and fluffy that whenever you drop these emotionally charged lines, my heart is not prepared. I love it and the parallels between Leon and Sabrina are going to be interesting to see.

Garish Garchomp

Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
First off, I’m so proud of my favorite himbo for being smart about the battle and clearing the stadium of everyone, what a legend. Also, in this week’s episode of oh my god I love my son so much idk how he isn’t dead yet:

He grins devilishly, and Kenneth wonders if he does that on purpose or if that’s just the way he smiles. He doesn’t know which is worse for his heart.
God bless.

I love how it’s just a thing that gym leaders have gimmicks. Cocking about with weather, cheating, all sorts of fun stuff. Makes sense to match these two against each other too, because they’re both so damn cheeky in the way they go about them. I love the way Naomi’s gimmick breaks down too, how the higher the level, the worse she is. Hell, they don’t even have to beat her to get the badge, which is a testament to the piece of shit she can be in battle. Motherfucker even poses for the camera, jesus christ almighty lmao. I know she didn’t ultimately want to be a gym leader, like you said, but goddamn is she a good one. Imagine fighting her in-game, seeing wrong moves pop up and all that shit. What a deconstruction that’d be.

Aside: the fucking moment with Naomi and Leon and the thing with Hop, I don’t have any words or coherence I just sob. ;;;;;

In conclusion:
Kenneth flashes back to all the times she has deliberately screwed them over in co-op games for shits and giggles, but he loves her all the same. For some reason.
SUPER BUNNY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel
I could honestly just quote the entirety of 45, I love it so much. 😭 The parallels between Hop/Leon and Naomi/Sabrina, the way Naomi... recognizes it, but also feels comfy and confident enough to bring it up to Leon, the tenderness between Sonia and Leon (and ofc Naomi and Kenneth), and Raihan eyebrow-waggling at whatever's going on between the former couple was all just so perfect, I loved it all.

43 makes me sad as well, because damn she's talented. I wish being a gym leader could've been her choice. ;;

(also I cackled at your author's note xD)

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
The Gym Battle was really fun, and it's amazing to see how Naomi uses her natural power to her advantage! Even with what little training she's gotten in the past few years, I can tell she'd be hell on the battlefield. Amazing work all around, way to leave me wanting more!

And the aftermath, the parallels... it's bringing back all my feels and I am down for it and then some. Way to go, it's fantastic <3

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The reason she guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that she wants them to hurry up and leave.
cuuuuuuuuuuuuuute~

If the Pokemon games had a real telepath and they wouldn't telegraph everything they were gonna do, the games would probably be hard as fuck. So going up against Naomi in Kanto with 7 badges was probably an ass-whooping and a half.

I thought this was a cute exchange until I read this:

And then I just snorted. Imagine forgetting the region's whole gimmick.

Nooooo, 13th, you don't get to make me feel things. This story is so cutesy and fluffy that whenever you drop these emotionally charged lines, my heart is not prepared. I love it and the parallels between Leon and Sabrina are going to be interesting to see.
Pokemon but real time fighting, hahaha... :'D

And hey, look. I wrote that part in November or December, it was still new so I think I get a pass. As if I was gonna rewrite it all these months later to put dynamaxing back in, ha.

I will make you feel things, get ready for 50.1.

First off, I’m so proud of my favorite himbo for being smart about the battle and clearing the stadium of everyone, what a legend. Also, in this week’s episode of oh my god I love my son so much idk how he isn’t dead yet:

God bless.

I love how it’s just a thing that gym leaders have gimmicks. Cocking about with weather, cheating, all sorts of fun stuff. Makes sense to match these two against each other too, because they’re both so damn cheeky in the way they go about them. I love the way Naomi’s gimmick breaks down too, how the higher the level, the worse she is. Hell, they don’t even have to beat her to get the badge, which is a testament to the piece of shit she can be in battle. Motherfucker even poses for the camera, jesus christ almighty lmao. I know she didn’t ultimately want to be a gym leader, like you said, but goddamn is she a good one. Imagine fighting her in-game, seeing wrong moves pop up and all that shit. What a deconstruction that’d be.

Aside: the fucking moment with Naomi and Leon and the thing with Hop, I don’t have any words or coherence I just sob. ;;;;;

In conclusion:

SUPER BUNNY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Raihan's not a himbo, he just pretends to be one to get away with shit. He knows what he's doing.

To the gym leader thing and Super Bunny Man, all I can say is that I love my piece of shit daughter v much and she deserves good things despite the things she pulls. Kenneth would agree.

Get ready for more Hop stuff. :')

I could honestly just quote the entirety of 45, I love it so much. 😭 The parallels between Hop/Leon and Naomi/Sabrina, the way Naomi... recognizes it, but also feels comfy and confident enough to bring it up to Leon, the tenderness between Sonia and Leon (and ofc Naomi and Kenneth), and Raihan eyebrow-waggling at whatever's going on between the former couple was all just so perfect, I loved it all.

43 makes me sad as well, because damn she's talented. I wish being a gym leader could've been her choice. ;;

(also I cackled at your author's note xD)
I get to play into 45 with this batch! Those parallels were happy coincidences and you can bet your ass that if this was a full-fledged story that focused more on Naomi, I'd make a bigger deal out of them.

I wish that too ;; Makes me feel like someday I have to write an AU where she stubbornly keeps the gym and changes everything about it 'cause fuck everyone else.

The Gym Battle was really fun, and it's amazing to see how Naomi uses her natural power to her advantage! Even with what little training she's gotten in the past few years, I can tell she'd be hell on the battlefield. Amazing work all around, way to leave me wanting more!

And the aftermath, the parallels... it's bringing back all my feels and I am down for it and then some. Way to go, it's fantastic <3
Aa thank you! It was a lot of fun to play to her abilities hehe

Get ready for a few more feels in this one. :')

I uh, kinda forgot yesterday was Sunday but today is like Sunday 2.0 so.

Naomi falls asleep under a tree surrounded by some of her Pokémon—Emi’s head on her lap, Rina in her arms, Kenji curled up against her, and Kyou at her side.

Her newest Pokémon lingers beside them, hidden in Emi’s tails—a shy Siliconda that slithered into their camp after some punk hooligans (Sonia’s term) started making a ruckus.

Kenneth takes a picture and sets it as his home screen. It’s like a still out of a fairytale.

“Hey, focus,” Sonia hisses, swatting his arm with her fan. She grins. “Less staring, more fanning. You’ll ruin my curry.”

“It hasn’t even started cooking.” He pockets his phone and gets to work nonetheless.

Fan.”
When the food is ready, he kisses his fairytale princess on her forehead and coaxes her to come eat. But she tugs him down next to her, and he’s too weak to resist. Her head on his shoulder and Emi’s insistence that he scratch behind her ears and give her some of his curry keep him pinned.

He can’t complain.
“You’re childhood friends, correct?” Sonia asks him as they clean up.

He glances back at Naomi, still under her tree and finally eating with her sleepyheads. “Yeah. We’ve known each other since we were twelve. Why?”

“And you’re in a proper strong relationship…”

He is planning on proposing to her—which reminds him that there is at least one thing he needs Sonia’s help with. But with Naomi within earshot, now isn’t the time to ask. “Yeah.”

She hums.

“Um, why?”

She shakes her head. “I was wondering,” she says, as if that fully explains her questions.

He’s reminded of Raihan, but he isn’t bold enough to ask her about Leon.
The mural at Stow-on-Side isn’t what he expects. It’s streaks of green and floral colors surrounding a sword and shield, not a depiction of an ancient battle. The style is far from reminiscent of the art he saw in Hammerlocke’s vault.

Even worse, there’s seemingly little to glean from it.

“It’s a recreation,” Sonia reminds him. “We don’t know what exactly happened to the original.”

“And it’s accurate?”

“As far as we know,” she sighs.

They don’t have another vault moment. They spend too long inspecting the mural trying to interpret it, but nothing clicks. The colors start blurring in his head.

He stands by the railing and looks out over the town instead, dusty orange and bathed in sunlight, unlike anything he’s seen in Kanto; the brilliant sunsets in Vermillion don’t come close. Naomi is somewhere down there, wandering the streets with her Pokémon. Now would be his chance to ask Sonia.

His heart pounds. His feet stay glued where he is.

“Alright,” Sonia breathes, melting against the railing. “I’m starting to think myself in circles.”

“Yeah… Me too.”

She frowns at the mural like she’s trying to come up with just one conclusive thought before she gives up for good, but she says nothing.

He takes a deep breath and takes his chance. “Uh, could I… ask for a favor from you?”

She raises an eyebrow. “That’s rather vague… What’s the favor?”

“It’s… about a surprise, for Naomi. So you can’t tell her.”

That piques her interest. Her face brightens, and she straightens her posture. “A surprise? I like surprises.”

He smiles nervously. He looks out over the town again, fixing his gaze on a tin roof covered in Hawlucha.

He hasn’t told anyone in person yet.

“Yeah… Uh, so… I’m… planning on proposing to—”

She gasps so loudly it startles him. “What! You’re—” She lowers her voice to an excited hiss as if Naomi is around, and he laughs—out of nerves or joy, he doesn’t know, and if he’s nervous, he’s not sure why. “You’re proposing to her?”

“Yeah,” he laughs again.

He feeds off her excitement, and she does so in turn, and he already knows she’s going to agree before he asks her to find out Naomi’s ring size. She assures him that when they return to Hammerlocke, she’ll take Naomi on a shopping spree throughout the city—and she goes right back to bombarding him with questions about when it will happen, where, how. He doesn’t have any concrete answers, but he’s happy to give them all the same.

He wishes he could have told his grandfather like this.
Her newly evolved Polteageist takes to its new teapot happily—mischievously, in truth, taking off through the roads of Stow-on-Side to take its new form for a spin. It reminds Naomi of Mewtwo, though they were never as bold when it came to pushing limits. She doesn’t worry herself over it. Emi tracks it, though she gets distracted by the scent of food.

Naomi expects to find it tired out, sitting on the side of the road waiting for a fool to stumble across it and its cursed tea—and there’s a thought, that tea could be cursed. Someone does find it, but for all his air of naiveté, Hop isn’t stupid.

She hesitates, but he sees her. She figures there’s no sense in proceeding as though Bede didn’t happen.

“It’s going through its rebellious teenager phase,” she jokes.

She only gets a polite smile and a stiff nod for her trouble.

She sits next to Hop on the curb, using her Polteageist as an excuse by pulling it into her lap. She peeks inside to see it all swirled and cranky, and she pats the side of the pot. “Out of energy to burn?”

It makes a quiet, high-pitched whistle. The pot starts to cool.

Hop shifts beside her, and she decides to say something before she loses her nerve. “Hey, um. I guess, while I have the chance… about what happened with that kid, in the Wild Area?”

He hunches his shoulders and turns slightly away from her.

She tenses, and Emi nudges her arm. For a moment, she fears that her telepathy got away from her, but Emi is just that good at reading her. She puts an arm around Emi and scratches her head, both thanking her and seeking comfort. “I just— Um… Wanted to apologize if I overstepped. I just really didn’t like the way he was talking…”

It takes him a moment to shrug and mutter, “It’s fine. Cheers for that…” It’s polite, again.

She hesitates to say her next words, but she might have appreciated them herself at his age. “I know we barely know each other. But, if you ever wanna talk—about anything, I mean… I’m willing to listen.” A beat of silence passes, and she adds, “Or you can tell me to… shove off.” She throws in a small laugh for good measure.

He doesn’t bite.

So she waits.

He only stirs when Emi decides to sit between them, either seeking his attention or trying to be helpful. Likely both. He obliges and scratches between her ears with a small smile.

Naomi pats her back. “Sorry, she’s an attention whore.”

Emi gently smacks her side with her tails. She learned long ago what attention whore means, no telepathy needed.

“You know it’s true,” she coos.

“She’s cute, though.”

“And she knows.”

Emi licks his hand as if to corroborate. It gets a genuine smile out of him.

“You, um,” he starts, eyes on Emi. “Lee said you became a gym leader through your older sister?”

She hoped he would bring it up himself, but she still needs to steel herself. “Yeah.” He doesn’t respond, so she assumes he won’t ask outright. She swallows. “She… was giving up the gym so she could get into acting, but she wanted to keep it in the family. I mean, I still think it was really so she could keep an eye on it and not to make some legacy out of it, but.” She shrugs.

He still doesn’t say anything.

“Anyway,” she continues, “it was… rough. Because she really wanted me to take over, and my parents really wanted me to take over, and— Bree is this perfect, overachieving control freak, and growing up in her shadow was just—” She huffs. It’s a lot to say at once. “I always felt like I had to live up to all her achievements, and I just couldn’t.”

He shifts. She tries not to pay too much attention.

“So having her gym looming over me like that, and feeling like I couldn’t say that I didn’t actually want it…” She shrugs. “It was nice to find out later that she did actually think I was capable of running the gym without her micromanaging, and for the most part, she did actually let me run it on my own.” She smiles bitterly, drumming her fingers against Polteageist and wishing Emi would come back to her. But Hop needs the comfort more. “Honestly, I might’ve stayed gym leader if it had actually been my choice, you know? But, yeah… She and I get along better now than we used to. She doesn’t really loom over me anymore, now that we’ve gone different ways and I’ve moved out so my parents can’t be all ‘why aren’t you more like Bree’ without realizing it,” allegedly.

She can’t read him. He watches Emi intently, with his face at an angle that makes it difficult to tell if he has something to say.

She chews the inside of her lip but says anyway, “I hope your parents aren’t like that? Not that you have to say so, just… you know.”

He asks quietly, “Was she like… the family prodigy?”

“Oh yeah,” she laughs. She tries to sound light. She doesn’t think she succeeds.

“Lee is, too…”

“Maybe you could talk to him about that?”

He shrugs.

“He seems to care a lot about you. He’d probably listen. And, I mean, teenage me probably wasn’t really in a place to talk to Bree but… I find myself wishing I still had.”

She considers it a small victory when he mutters, “Maybe.”
Hop and Bea are in the middle of dynamaxing their Pokémon when Kenneth figures out how to propose.

He pulls his phone out to jot down some of the logistics, but somehow Naomi has the presence of mind to look at him instead of the monsters in front of them.

“Thought of something,” he says, before she can ask. He lowers the brightness of his screen—partly so she can’t see what he’s writing, mostly so his phone won’t illuminate the lies on his face for her to see. “Research stuff.”

“Research at a time like this,” she says, amused. Thankfully, she leaves him be.
That night, while she’s curled up next to him, he asks, “We’re going to Wyndon at some point, right?”

“Yeah. Why?”

He smiles. “Just making sure.”
Me

So I have an idea for how I'm gonna propose and it involves a spreadsheet

Fucker 🤓

is this gonna be like one of those spreadsheets you make for the rpgs you guys play…

Me

Shh just hear me out

I'm calling myself out on making a monster of a spreadsheet for FE3H...

I actually edited Naomi's conversation with Hop a fair bit. Hopefully it doesn't feel like she's sharing an unreasonable amount, but I still wanted to Hop to get where she's coming from.

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel
Kenneth takes a picture and sets it as his home screen. It’s like a still out of a fairytale.
cuuuuuute
When the food is ready, he kisses his fairytale princess on her forehead and coaxes her to come eat. But she tugs him down next to her, and he’s too weak to resist. Her head on his shoulder and Emi’s insistence that he scratch behind her ears and give her some of his curry keep him pinned.
cuuuuuuute
He is planning on proposing to her—which reminds him that there is at least one thing he needs Sonia’s help with. But with Naomi within earshot, now isn’t the time to ask. “Yeah.”

She hums.

“Um, why?”

She shakes her head. “I was wondering,” she says, as if that fully explains her questions.

He’s reminded of Raihan, but he isn’t bold enough to ask her about Leon.
CUUUUTE but also like, I can't help but grin like a total fool at Sonia. Jfc girl, everyone sees it but you. xD I'm glad Kenneth doesn't press her about it, though.
He feeds off her excitement, and she does so in turn, and he already knows she’s going to agree before he asks her to find out Naomi’s ring size. She assures him that when they return to Hammerlocke, she’ll take Naomi on a shopping spree throughout the city—and she goes right back to bombarding him with questions about when it will happen, where, how. He doesn’t have any concrete answers, but he’s happy to give them all the same.

EXCUSE me ma'am, that last line, I cry. 😭 I wish he'd gotten that chance, too (and the thought of Oak trying to help him plan a proposal/pick out rings or something is immensely amusing to me), but god am I glad Kenneth has Sonia. He deserves to have someone physically present to be so genuinely happy for him and Naomi. ;w;
She peeks inside to see it all swirled and cranky, and she pats the side of the pot. “Out of energy to burn?”

It makes a quiet, high-pitched whistle. The pot starts to cool.
how the fuck did you make a literal teapot cute??? and so animated, omfg. Sassiest tea I've ever seen, and I can think of no better owner than Naomi.
He only stirs when Emi decides to sit between them, either seeking his attention or trying to be helpful. Likely both. He obliges and scratches between her ears with a small smile.

Naomi pats her back. “Sorry, she’s an attention whore.”

Emi gently smacks her side with her tails. She learned long ago what attention whore means, no telepathy needed.
;w; Emiiiiiii. She'll always be my favorite. I love how in-tune she is to Naomi, outside of the telepathy even, and just how intuitive she is about human emotion in general. She's a good bean, even if she is an attention whore. c:

“Oh yeah,” she laughs. She tries to sound light. She doesn’t think she succeeds.

“Lee is, too…”

“Maybe you could talk to him about that?”

He shrugs.

“He seems to care a lot about you. He’d probably listen. And, I mean, teenage me probably wasn’t really in a place to talk to Bree but… I find myself wishing I still had.”
I love how... tough, this conversation was? if that makes sense. It didn't come easily for Naomi, and Hop sure as hell wasn't keen on engaging, but even as she sort of fumbled through it you could really see him start to open up on a really painful and personal topic, and it felt true to life. It's not an easy convo to have, but I'm so glad it happened, because the parallels between the two of them are 👌 It was just really good, and I think a testament to the character-driven emotional payoff you really nailed down in Agency. It's cool to see it carried over, here.
is this gonna be like one of those spreadsheets you make for the rpgs you guys play…
I'm calling myself out on making a monster of a spreadsheet for FE3H...
haha, nerd

...but more importantly, knowing what happens (and bc I adore how nerdy both you and Kenneth are, with your damn spreadsheets), cuuuuuuuuuuute. ;w; God I'm so excited for the actual proposal.

Garish Garchomp

Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
Raihan's not a himbo, he just pretends to be one to get away with shit. He knows what he's doing.
Lmaoooooo I actually like this description a lot more, thank you. What a legend.

Bless your Sonia tho. And bless those punk hooligans for delivering a good lil snek unto us. Amen.

Honestly idk how Naomi's team just fits her so well (both in Kanto and here in Galar) but it just does. I mean it's not a stretch to say the tea pokemon is Naomi's thing but the personalities just fit beautifully tbh. No surprise that you know how to make Emi god's gift to pokemonkind, tho (and that she now knows the meaning of attention whore). Also, "rebellious teenager phase" lmao.

She smiles bitterly, drumming her fingers against Polteageist and wishing Emi would come back to her. But Hop needs the comfort more.
This, though, this is good shit. It's these details that make me love your writing so much.

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
cuuuuuute

cuuuuuuute

CUUUUTE but also like, I can't help but grin like a total fool at Sonia. Jfc girl, everyone sees it but you. xD I'm glad Kenneth doesn't press her about it, though.

EXCUSE me ma'am, that last line, I cry. 😭 I wish he'd gotten that chance, too (and the thought of Oak trying to help him plan a proposal/pick out rings or something is immensely amusing to me), but god am I glad Kenneth has Sonia. He deserves to have someone physically present to be so genuinely happy for him and Naomi. ;w;

how the fuck did you make a literal teapot cute??? and so animated, omfg. Sassiest tea I've ever seen, and I can think of no better owner than Naomi.

;w; Emiiiiiii. She'll always be my favorite. I love how in-tune she is to Naomi, outside of the telepathy even, and just how intuitive she is about human emotion in general. She's a good bean, even if she is an attention whore. c:

I love how... tough, this conversation was? if that makes sense. It didn't come easily for Naomi, and Hop sure as hell wasn't keen on engaging, but even as she sort of fumbled through it you could really see him start to open up on a really painful and personal topic, and it felt true to life. It's not an easy convo to have, but I'm so glad it happened, because the parallels between the two of them are 👌 It was just really good, and I think a testament to the character-driven emotional payoff you really nailed down in Agency. It's cool to see it carried over, here.

haha, nerd

...but more importantly, knowing what happens (and bc I adore how nerdy both you and Kenneth are, with your damn spreadsheets), cuuuuuuuuuuute. ;w; God I'm so excited for the actual proposal.
much cuteness

so good ;w;

Oh my god Oak would tease him the entire time but also be like one step away from tearing up the whole time cause like, his (grand)son is all grown up now ;;;;;;;;;;;

I feel like Naomi and her Polteageist teaming up together would lead to too many shenanigans... And Kenneth would probably be the victim for all of them.

Emi will never stop being my favorite ;w;

Aaah I'm glad to hear that about the conversation! I really wanted to give them something to connect over, even for just the one drabble, and Hop def wasn't going to be the one to initiate it or carry it forward. It's one of the few places where I kinda wish this was a full-on story from Naomi's POV, just so I could really have the two of them interact and learn from each other. Really cool to hear it kinda paid forward the work I did in Agency though. ;w;

and shush

Lmaoooooo I actually like this description a lot more, thank you. What a legend.

Bless your Sonia tho. And bless those punk hooligans for delivering a good lil snek unto us. Amen.

Honestly idk how Naomi's team just fits her so well (both in Kanto and here in Galar) but it just does. I mean it's not a stretch to say the tea pokemon is Naomi's thing but the personalities just fit beautifully tbh. No surprise that you know how to make Emi god's gift to pokemonkind, tho (and that she now knows the meaning of attention whore). Also, "rebellious teenager phase" lmao.

This, though, this is good shit. It's these details that make me love your writing so much.
On Raihan: Thank you.

I remember "punk hooligans" sticking out to you the first time and I'm glad you still saw fit to point it out again here hehe.

And! Idk either! Polteageist is a given, and there's of course her Agency team, but the rest that have had some type of actual focus? I really don't know. But I'm happy with her little team in the end.

You already know how I feel about Emi. ;w;

And ;;;w;;; Thank you ♥

shush it's. it's maybe still sunday somewhere, right? ;;

They don’t expect to arrive at the mural again only to find it destroyed, or to find Bede being escorted away by League workers.

They also don’t expect what’s left of it to crumble and reveal statues of two wolves wielding a sword and shield.

Sonia shakes him by his sleeve before pulling her phone out for pictures. “We were right!”

“We were…”

It only raises more questions—why the Pokémon were hidden, what exactly they were fighting, the source of dynamaxing, power spots and wishing stars. He wonders about Hammerlocke’s stadium, and Rose’s claim on it comes to mind. He doesn’t know what to make of any of it.
As picturesque as Glimwood Tangle is, the atmosphere makes his skin crawl. Any moment spent lit by mushrooms and listening to Morgrem calls is a moment too long. Even Sonia seems unnerved, all her nonchalance left behind in the dens of the Wild Area.

They’re only here for one thing, an Indeedee that keeps evading Naomi’s attempts to catch him. She blames the Indeedee, but it’s her own stubbornness that draws them deeper into the woods.

He really hopes they don’t end up possessed by fairies before he has the chance to properly propose.

It’s the tenth Great Ball that sticks. She snaps it up from the ground, spins on her heel, and heads back up the path they came from, taking him and Sonia by their sleeves. “Okay, we can go now!”

“You know,” Sonia starts, something nervous but light in her tone. Kenneth gives her a look, but it doesn't stop her. “They say every year, at least one challenger is lost to the fairies here.”

“Sonia!” Naomi whines.

“One year, there was this whole investigation with Opal because—”

“Sonia, shut up!” they both say. Same tone, same inflection.

Sonia laughs, but not without quickening her pace.
It kills him to agree to take the long way back to Hammerlocke. Kenji and some of the others are close to evolving, and Naomi wants to help them get there sooner rather than later. Kenneth understands, but every minute spent on the road instead of in a flying taxi is another minute that he has to put off proposing.

He must wear his impatience on his face, because more than once, Sonia gives him a supportive look.

He busies himself with his tablet. He keeps a blank spreadsheet open in the background while he pulls up Wyndon on a map. At least while Naomi’s busy, he can make some headway on his plan.
She saves Kenji for last and tears up when he evolves. She looks away, embarrassed, when she notices Kenneth watching, so he gives her some space and time with her starters.

He only hugs her when she seeks him out, and kisses her head when she asks if she’s being overemotional. “You’re fine,” he tells her.

She squeezes him. “They like each other.”

“I can tell, you’ve been playing with them all day.”

She’s quiet.

He runs a hand through her hair, thick, dark strands that catch the sun like gloss. It’s past her shoulders now. She’s been meaning to get it cut, but he wonders how she’d look with longer hair. Regal, probably, especially with that dress she wore on their last date.

She picks at his jacket. “It makes me feel a little like…” She shrugs. “I dunno, like it helps make up for what I did to Kyou.”

“You realize you’re gonna have to let go of that one day, right?”

“Maybe…”

“He forgave you.”

She sighs and straightens, but she doesn’t look him in the eye. “I know, I know.”

He kisses her nose.

She still doesn’t quite look at him, but she smiles.
They’re only in Hammerlocke for a day when Sonia puts her plan into action. One sudden girls’ day out that Naomi easily agrees to.

He gets a fair amount of planning done, for the ring and the proposal, before Sonia texts him a ring size.

He’s never moved so quickly to buy something before.
Naomi comes back showing off two bags’ worth of sweaters and knit dresses and a pair of warm, flat, thigh-high boots that he wishes she’d put on for him right now.

It is incredibly difficult not to pull out the picture of her ring and show it off to her too.
Opal has known him for less than a day and treats him more like family than anyone else. Even more than the Chairman. Bede is suspicious, because all he has ever known is to suspect and reject.

The Chairman was always the exception, but now, he doesn’t know.

To think that Opal treats him like family is strange, not only for having just met her, but because his definition of the term has never been solid. Family is people who praise him or believe in him. That’s the best way he understands it. But he thinks it’s supposed to be people who guide him and protect him. People who care, however that feels. There may even be more to it.

And Opal exudes the nebulousness of family.

Or, as someone who praised his talent, he hopes she does.

She recognizes him from his battles. She notices his challenger’s band has been taken. She tells him, “Old Rose could never raise anything as he should,” and grins like she can see right through the Chairman, and right through him.

He can’t find it in him to defend a man he would do anything for.

She promises he’ll blossom with her guidance, and for the first time since Rose, he lowers his guard.
Their train has only left the Hammerlocke station for a few minutes when something explodes.

Naomi responds with more calm than she should, scanning the aisle of their car but otherwise not even making a move to stand.

Across the table, Sonia’s gaze flits between the back of the train and whatever she’s scrambling to type on her phone.

“Did you hear that?” Kenneth asks Naomi, adding to the murmur of other passengers.

“Sounded like a truck flying over a speed bump,” she casually answers, as though they’re close enough to a road for that to be plausible.

“Oh, bloody hell,” Sonia hisses. She turns her phone toward them. There’s a tweet from Hammerlocke’s police department stating an explosion happened at or near the stadium. Cause, unknown. No smoke or fires reported so far. “I swear if the whole city goes out because of—that blasted power plant…” Because of Rose.

“The hell is going on that this power plant is exploding,” Naomi mutters.

Kenneth thinks on what Sonia said the last time they were in Hammerlocke. “Power spot shenanigans?” It doesn’t seem far-fetched.

Sonia scoffs and takes her phone back, tapping and scrolling. “Don’t even joke about it…” She calls Raihan to check on him, and looks like she’s ready to spill blood when he confirms Rose is at fault.

59.1 is on AO3 as its own drabble as of... six months ago, wow. It's really been that long?

I'm excited for the next batch, things get a lil hurt/comfort-y. :3c

localhoney

grook
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Naomi falls asleep under a tree surrounded by some of her Pokémon—Emi’s head on her lap, Rina in her arms, Kenji curled up against her, and Kyou at her side.
not gonna lie, i definitely took inspo from this and had Amira copy her pose with Eddie's mons
;w; stop it 13th
oh the parallels hurt
So I have an idea for how I'm gonna propose and it involves a spreadsheet
I feel like this is how you would propose.
“I dunno, like it helps make up for what I did to Kyou.”

“You realize you’re gonna have to let go of that one day, right?”

“Maybe…”

“He forgave you.”
noooooooooo i still get sad when I think about that scene where Kyou wants to stay
Opal has known him for less than a day and treats him more like family than anyone else. Even more than the Chairman. Bede is suspicious, because all he has ever known is to suspect and reject.
damn ;;; i hate Bede but this is sad
Their train has only left the Hammerlocke station for a few minutes when something explodes.
13th I know I blew up a helicopter but we can talk about this

Garish Garchomp

Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
First off, it’s just really neat to see you stick to game plot stuff but add your own spin on it and your charries? Idk, this whole run feels comfy and breezy other than when you hurt my son and it’s just nice tbh. It's also a change of pace, too, since Agency never had this kind of overarching plot really, it was all very minute and character-driven so to have this umbrella of shenanigans and Rose bullshit is just interesting to read since it's such a different setup for us reading Naomi and Kenneth.

Also yeah I’m gonna need to get more detail on that whole lost to the fairies thing pls. Sonia is legit best wingman tho god bless

She saves Kenji for last and tears up when he evolves.
Same but for different reasons. God, those feels though... 😭

I spy that lil Bede drabble used in here too, v nice v nice~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)