• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Extravaganza 2021 – Promos Thread

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxRodDraws

Me and the boys at 2am looking for BEANS
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 8, 2020
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon will throw memes at trainers as a distraction to steal food from them. It also seems obsessed with punching birds.
OH BOY IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR
Cracks my knuckles Here we go!

Finding Balance by @ima
A new Nuzlocke that's already got a great hook with incredibly likable characters!! The art style has a very soft and pleasant touch to it that makes you want to enjoy each page and admire the details put into the backgrounds and characters. The relationship between the rivals, Precious and Pearl are so perfect! Literal best friend material and they have such a loving connection between each other! I am always looking forward to the next pages when they come!

First Summer by @Krisantyne
A definitely familiar Nuzlocke for most individuals in the Nuzlocke Community. First Summer has been such a pleasure to read over the years and watch not only the character development grow, but also watch the art grow and improve in each page! It's truly inspiring! The main character, Sara and her team will steal your hearts! There's lot of moments of heartship, bonding, love, fear, and excitement within First Summer! For sure a comic worth catching up on and reading.

Blooming Glory by @Spacey
A very well thought out comic with an intense and deep story behind it. Believe it or not, the main character, Glory, is starting expected to start out on her first Pokemon journey on her own! (Can you believe it? She's only 10 years old). Throughout the story, you meet a lot of characters that become extremely likeable and you find yourself attached to these characters. Blooming Glory also has it's own mix of following the game story plot line, while also having it's own twist and turns thrown in, making parts of the story have unexpected events occur and has you at the edge of your seat when you read on. There are times where you feel so close to the characters that if anything were to happen, you could feel your heart drop. Blooming Glory does an amazing job with grabbing the reader's attention and leaves you hungry for more.

A Fateful Nuzlocke Challenge by @ponibutts
Oh my lanta, this comic, the main character, the art style, I love them all (not to mention the artist is a pretty rad person). It's got a good balance of character lore, page flow, intriguing story, and most importantly, babies. Yes, you heard me, the Pokemon you met so far are precious babs and you fall in love with them immediately. The story is still new, but already has enough going on where you want to keep reading to find out more and part take in the adventure!

Deadly Syns by @SysterSyn
Another amazing and familiar comic to the community, a strong story-based Nuzlocke with it's great share of humor and rib tickling moments. If you're not reading Deadly Syns, are you really living your life to the fullest? Through out the story, you see a load of character development and growth through Syn and her team, as well as character growth with a select few side characters. The art style is simple, clean, and yet detailed in it's own special way, making each page a pleasure to any viewing eyes. The story is far along in its adventure, if you're looking for a Nuzlocke to binge read, hop on the DS Train!

Dear Sergio by @feraligatr
A Shield Nuzlocke that is fresh, new and already kicking off! You meet Sergio who may seem like your average moody teen, but this comic shows to never judge a book by it's cover. The story does a well job showing that there is more to Sergio than meets the eye and why he may act the way he does at times. The characters and plot grab you enough where you want to stick around to see what happens next and where the story goes from here. The art style keeps a simple appeal to it where it doesn't draw away from the characters and the story, but makes it all the more likable to view and admire. Well worth the read and I encourage anyone to see for themselves!

By The Sword by @SnakeEyesDraws
LET ME TELL YOU ALL ABOUT BY THE SWORD! Possibly one of the many SWSH Nuzlocke comics that has not only been a pleasure to read, but admittedly a big inspiration and motivation for me and my own Nuzlocke comic! Tumble becomes a protagonist that you immediately fall in love with as he portrays a very positive and jolly character, as well as side characters that feel as though they have a bigger purpose than how the game portrays them. There is so much artistic growth that has progressed with By The Sword, and the story grabs your attention so quickly that putting this aside would be nearly impossible to do. I highly recommend anyone looking for more SWSH content to read By The Sword and embrace the story of the Child of the Sword.

Penumbra by @TwistedEerie
Yeah that's right I'm going to simp for Penumbra again don't look at me
What can I even say about Penumbra? There's so much good about it, it's almost an overload! It's got some quality memeing and humorous puns and references that makes reading so enjoyable and leaves readers with a smile, if not, a chuckle. Aside from the funny haha moments, Penumbra does indeed contain a deep story plot and character lore that makes you wonder what is or has happened and leaves you begging for more. Krane may seem like an emo kid but the longer to story goes on, the more you see his personality change into almost a completely different person, yet it's a change that makes the story refreshing and realistic, at the same time questionable. You find yourself wanting to see what will happen next.

Soul Brothers by @GECKO
A very interesting Soul Silver run with a variety of character personalities that you will find something charming and engaging about them. The dynamic between Corey and Ty is incredibly strong! You see how connected they are with each other and how much Corey and the team grows through out the journey. This comic will show you what it means to have a loving family and support, even in the toughest times, and just how willing everyone is to help out each other and do anything for them.

Autumn in Sinnoh by @Nessi
A different type of Nuzlocke run where the trainer has been turned into a Pokemon! Autumn in Sinnoh shares equal moments of comedy, in-depth character backstory and heartship between the main characters and the connection to the plot. The art style is adorable and the character designs are eye appealing and rememberable! A comic well worth the read for those looking for something different!

Alex_Nidas

I'm lazy and I'm proud
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Sightings of them in the wild are rare, as they prefer to stay indoors with their art tablet and little siblings.
Promo time. I will come back and edit this with more recommendations over the next couple days, promise.

index.php

Atychiphobia by @Sarbear
An exclusive, dangerous pokemon league. Heavy restrictions on capturing wild pokemon. Looming political tensions from a new rising group known as Team Plasma. We've all seen nuzlockes of Unova, but Atychiphobia feels like a distilled, more unique experience. We have two lead trainers, Alyssa and Ever, who have to share the pokemon they catch due to the wildlife rules imposed to try and help dwindling species, and both seem to have their own heavy baggage. While the comic has yet to even reach Striaton, Sarbear has already breathed immense life into every character, with a charismatically cruel Ghetsis, an almost antagonisticly strict Juniper, the brooding cat-otter Tallulah, and plenty more, each scene ends up being a fun and fascinating mesh of personalities and ideals. Where the story is going is uncertain for now, but I am without a doubt going to pay attention every step of the way.

ddorj4n-85db9477-68f1-4177-b6ad-da74f3148243.png

When Sword and Shield first came out, I, like many people, were more skeptical on the games, and have had some notable problems with the game's story: or lack thereof. So when I say that By the Sword makes me actually care about the story in Galar, it should mean something. The story of Tumble, a wanna be dragon type gym leader, is equal parts heartwarming and heartbreaking, as we see this naive kid in search of dragons step out in the world, and slowly begin to realize that things may be indirectly working against him. And as the readers, we can see even more the writing on the wall, knowing that things are only going to get so much worse for this cinnamon roll before they get better. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Already fleshing out our expanded cast of characters, completely changing up Team Yell's normally antagonistic roll, and giving Sordward and Shielbert designs that don't make me want to vomit, SnakeEyesDraws' art is charming, goofy, and immensely detailed, making this a comic you should certainly take the time to appreciate and enjoy.

Last edited:

TheLastUnicornInOz

Alolan Vulpix in the Desert
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 14, 2020
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Elvia, while living in a hot dessert enviornment, embraces the ice typing, rarely leaving her cool home and often is drawing or creating
*CRACKS KNUCKLES*

OH IVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS

GODLESS LANDS BY @vizarding : I'm generally very fond of gijinkalockes but this one definitely came out swinging!! While updates are a bit slow now, at the start of the year they were cranking them out very quickly meaning you have so much story to read through!! Excellent world and lore building and tackles issues many folks face in adult hood about no longer vibing with the religion you grew up in and finding its issues and such. Also lets go lesbians time, what more could you want?

SEVERANCE BY @Winterspheonix : Viruslocke and bizarre nuzlocke rules are something I kinda wish I'd known about before starting my own nuz because OMIGOSH THERE IS SO MUCH POTENTIAL HERE! Winter works darn well with the concepts and making seeing the usually cute electric types feel like a threat. Actually has me intrigued on less common spotlights in the Sinnoh games too with whatever is going on with some of the gym leaders in this story. Excellent read!

SWEET RELEAF BY @khorale: We love seeing improvement on these here forums and WOAH HAS THIS COMIC HAD A GLOW UP. Genuinely so cool to see someone grow so quickly while exploring their story and watching how the two intermingle with each other. A cute Kanto story with the shaking of something else going on under the surface and Im so ready to see more!!

I GOTTA WORK NOW BUT WILL TRY AND ADD MORE SOOOOOON

SnowyUmbreon

Hex Maniac
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
When left alone, this solitary creature spends hours reading stories and playing video games. She spends an unhealthy amount of time on the computer.
Despite only starting recently, Alloyed Chains: Flower by @mike-princeofstars already shows signs of strong storytelling that leave the readers wanting to know more. Follow it’s lovably dense protagonist Dahlia as she makes her way through the Alola region with a mysterious necklace given to her by her late father. Additionally, this comics’ renditions of iconic canon characters like Lillie and Hau are incredibly unique, adding renewed flavor to the traditional Alola story. Did I mention the adorable art style? All in all, I strongly recommend giving this cute little comic a good readthrough!

A Knight’s Gale by @FoxRodDraws is an absolutely beautiful Shield wonderlocke with stunning visuals and a distinctly unique art style. Right off the bat this comic does a really neat job of showcasing the relationships between its characters. Raiyah’s relationship with her childhood best friend Hop is incredibly adorable, and it’s really fun to see how the two of them get along. On a less wholesome note, this comic also does a great job of portraying the strained relationship between Raiyah and her mom.

Dear Sergio by @feraligatr is a Shield nuzlocke following the adventure of Sergio. One of my favorite things about this comic is the relationship between Sergio and Hop. Sergio’s more serious demeanor is a really good foil for Hop’s boisterous enthusiasm, and the way the two of them interact is really entertaining to see. It’s very entertaining, to say the least!

Broken Sword by @Dirtwig-Draws sets itself apart from other SWSH runs through its unique protagonist, a rough-and-tumble Scottish girl named Moira. The way Moira interacts with other characters is incredibly humorous, especially her interactions with the Team Yell grunts. This comic definitely keeps readers engaged with Moira despite her flaws, leaving the audience wondering how she'll respond to the challenges she has to face.

Last edited:

pikafan96

That Little Yellow Rat
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 27, 2020
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
A reclusive creature. Can rarely be seen scavenging for food late at night.
Okay, I don't have much free time (unfortunately for me) which means I don't get a lot read too many runs these days, but there are a few I'd like to promo that I've either recently picked up or come back to every once in a while - so here I am!

It's a bit of a mixed bag for the the mediums of each run, but there's not many so I'll just throw them all into together!
Also they're gonna be short and sweet 'cause I suck at describing things.

The Terribly-Titled Nuzlocke of Pokemon Rejuvenation by @Derogatory Trainer
What can I say about this run? It's got it all! Humor, adventure, adorable dragons, snarky protagonists, and of course annoying blondes - the run's got the whole package.
It's essentially a commentary focused of the fangame Rejuvenation - an incredibly long, incredibly tough Pokemon game. It follows the protagonist as he fights his way through the Aevium region with his semi-reluctant team.
What really sets this run apart though is Derogatory Trainer's use IRL pictures (hence it being a "reaction-locke") and the editing of his Pokemon into the pictures with him.
It's a fun run, but beware! It's rated Mature for a reason.

Pain by @Kit_The_Feef
Drayano hacks are brutal, I don't think anyone will disagree with me there; but what happens when you're going into not only the hack itself blind but also (to an extent) the game it's based around? You get this run.
Another mostly commentary based run, this nuzlocke follows our protagonist through a much less friendly version of Sinnoh. Accompanied by a pretty impressive team (including an overpowered moth) can our hero make his way though the harsh winter wonderland, or will Drayano eat him up and spit him out?
A major point of this run that should be pointed out though that it utilizes Mystery Dungeon-like portraits for the Pokemon - adding a very cute way to show personality and emotion! No, I'm not biased.

fuzzball by @Hallow
Who doesn't love solo-lockes!? And this one's got a ton of charm to it!
I don't know about you, but I don't think Joltik gets enough respect. Luckily for our small little friend - this run sets out to prove just what they're capable of!
This run attempts to answer the question; "can you beat Volt White using just a single buggy-baby?" And let me tell you, the answer will surprise you!
That being said, yes, this is another Drayano hack; which makes things even more difficult for our intrepid hero.

A Home for the Broken by @faerieconstellations
No I'm not biased towards Drayano hacks. LEAVE ME ALONE.
Yet another Drayano hack! But this one's in comic form, AND utilizes a hardcore ruleset. Totally different the the ones I've already mentioned.
This comic's art style is so damn pretty. I love the way all the characters are designed, the colors are gorgeous, and I could and would kill a man for Raymond.
There's not too many pages of this comic out just yet, but I'm really enjoying where it's going so far and am excited to see how everything turns out!

The Adventures of Mum! by @Ookum Spookums
I don't know about you, but the concept of this run really roped me in.
Typically a run (or just the games in general) follow the story of a young up-and-coming trainer taking on the world! Well, not this one! This comic follows Gloria's mom (or "mum" I suppose) going out into the world to try and find her missing daughter.
The concept is super interesting to me since it not something I've seen before, and of course that's just on top the fantastic art and writing!
I think this comic is on a bit of a hiatus right now? But it absolutely still deserves a shout-out!

Jet's Black Nuzlocke by @Zero
Can I just say that I was shocked to see that this run was still going? In the best way possible of course.
I first found this run back in 2012ish(?) when I was still young, naive, and had all the time in the world to binge-read nuzlocke comics. I ended up forgetting about it (along with many others) pretty quickly after I found it though; due partly to losing interest in nuzlockes, and also due to just not having a ton of free time anymore - but I have found it once again and am re-reading it from scratch!
What can I say? It's got amazing art, characters, writing, and Firedog is just as great as I remember - I'm not telling you things you don't already know though!
So go read it, again if you have to!

And finally I'm gonna promo my own run!

City of Stars by @pikafan96
Do you like to watch others suffer? Do you enjoy watching psychotic women threaten murder? Do you like watching Pokemon slowly form a union against their trainer and attempt to convince her to finally seek therapy? Then do I have the run for you!
This run has our protagonist take on the Reborn region! A smog-fueled, crime-filled, run-down hellhole of city. Can she and our rag-tag band of merry 'mons make it out the other side unharmed? Or is tragedy on the horizon?
Also we've got Mystery Dungeon-like portraits and visual novel styled aside scenes to spice things up; just like my last run! (Although I haven't implemented any of the latter just yet, but they're coming!)

AoiSora19S

Blue Haired Idiot
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
  1. Steel
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
Generally inept with most things. How he's still alive is truly one of the world's greatest mysteries ...
<_<;; never was good with these things, ^^; but a friend asked me to, so all right. o.o but just a few. o3o;; various already said their pieces on some runs way better than i could

Nessi's Autumn in Sinnoh

o3o this is just a good time, what else can i say that others haven't yet? ... o.o oh, o3o i like when legends aren't depicted as "holier than thou" and are really just like any other dingus in the world. this does it hilariously

satanicswirlix's Sinners of Sinnoh

^^; it ain't out yet (just some clips here and there), o3o but the potential is clearly there. the characters, the reimaginings of others, Zinnia's tits, i happily look forward to when this animated run comes out. ^^; just don't pressure her, animation's hard as fuck and we don't have the technology to clone ourselves yet

and AoiSora19S's Shield Nuzlocke - Hestia's Pilgrimage

^^; i initially didn't want to promo myself, o3o;; but the same friend who asked me to do this forced me to since she felt my stuff needed more attention. ^^; nice of her to praise my run earlier here, though. o.o anyhow, o3o;; SN-HP, admittedly, ain't for everyone. o.o but if you can stomach raunchy humor, mediocre art, and bad handwriting, you might find something with plenty of heart ....... o3o in one case, quite literally. baw haw haw haw

^^; well, i got nothing else to add, scroll down and have a nice day ... o_o or evening ... or wherever the shit your time zone is. o3o enjoy yourself

AmossyRock

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 7, 2020
Nature
Hasty
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. ???
Hello denizens of this forum! Today, I’d like briefly introduce some of my favorite comics that I’ve read this year.
Please give a read to these wonderful stories!

EMERALD RUN by @incomescrane

I know this comic is still very early in the making, but man, that prologue has me intrigued!

FIRST SUMMER by @Krisantyne

Probably one of the first nuzlocke I’ve ever read, so it has a special place within my heart and for good reasons: the arts tyle is so colorful and vibrant that makes you immerse in the world in no time.

GODLESS LANDS by @vizarding

I was instantly fascinated by the world building and how the game mechanics we all know are contextualized in this Gijinka-locke.

JET’S BLACK NUZLOCKE BY @Zero

Everyone, and I mean everyone, in this comic is so frigging cute! It’s a more comedy focused run compared to the other’s I have described, but it can also punch you in the gut and make you cry when it wants to.

FINDING BALANCE BY @ima

This comic has me hooked, not only because it fuses elements both from the game and from the manga, but also because I find the interactions among the protagonists very entertaining and make me wonder how they will develop with time!

KURUKKOO by @Kadew

I love how the friendship/rivalry between Red and Blue is portrayed, it’s spot on for two ten years old on their first journey to become “the very best like no one ever was”.

Moon

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
more!

Behold! A Pale Horse by @localhoney. Edmund Dorian lives in Sinleaf Twinleaf Town, and receives a mysterious letter paying him to kill the members of the Coronet Twelve.
Oh yeah, he's an Assasin.
He also goes on to do the league, and also there are tentacle monsters involved.

The Dark We Carry by @Dee. Rui goes to Orre to visit her grandfather, but sees a Shadow Pokemon and gets kidnapped and her Aipom gets taken away. Oh yeah, she can see aura now. She couldn't do that before. She joins forces with Wes and his Espeon and Umbreon (Cap and Luna) to try to take down snagem i mean uh the brotherhood. except Wes gets stabbed and Rui's the protagonist.

...i don't feel like puting more right now

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Anxious, sweet-toothed writer who hides amongst the papers. Only attacks when provoked.
Wanted! by @YumeTsuki: Girl meets homicidal, rogue criminal in this funny and intriguing take on Pokémon Colosseum.

Emerald Run by @incomescrane: It's not far in, but I'm intrigued by the premise so far! Plus, the art style grabbed me by the lapels and refuses to let go.

What the Water Gave Me by @effsnares: The wonderful effsnares has blessed us with another run and gorgeous artwork, this time focusing on a young boy with a mysterious, tragic past as he takes on the Johto Pokémon league.

On Borrowed Time by @Woo: PMD is one of my favorite Pokémon spin-offs, and Woo has an interesting take on Explorers of Sky with stand out, funny characters and very pretty art.

Blank by @jaeb_dub: A well-illustrated tale about a young woman who's emotions were sucked away reluctantly going on a Pokémon journey with her friend(?).

Judgement Has Come to You by @SaintsGarden: A girl and her cat gijinka decide to rip Alola's gangs a new asshole. What's not to like?

Burn Away by @snooze: A young man with shadily acquired powers travels across Kalos with a ragtag group of fellow gijinka at what is probably the worst possible time. Gorgeous artwork!

A Fateful Nuzlocke Challenge by @ponibutts: A shy, quiet teen begrudgingly leaves his abusive home and goes on a Pokémon journey when the family pet literally says "fuck it" and runs away from home. Came for the art, stayed for the shy bean and his Poke-pals.

Internship by @AmossyRock: A unique take on the nuzlocke story, where the protag travels the region for the sake of the titular internship.

The Quiet Dark by @Erberor: In a word where nocturnal beings are being chased and slaughtered by their diurnal "neighbors", a ragtag group of nocturnal beings seek sanctuary. As with All That We Are (which you should also read!), The Quiet Dark has a strong narrative voice and excellent world building.

Greens, Eggs, & Ham by @Uberle: A recently completed run in which Kanto goes to shit thanks to a zombie virus and an immortal doctor travels the region to un-fuck it. Shenanigans ensue. Surprisingly hilarious for such a dark story, not gonna lie.

Trainer Watching by @Flop disc: Disaster lesbians crab-dance around each other as one of them takes on the Island Challenge and the other tries to figure out what the hell is up with her new companion.

Unbecome by @RisingMew: A girl on the run joins the Aether Foundation to get a new lease on life.

Healing Wish by @SimplyUnknown: Blue travels to Unova to escape a potential scandal in Kanto and finds adventure, danger, and love.

Don't Evolve by @Faleep: When Unova goes to shit thanks to the zombie apocalypse, three teens are separated when trying to deliver Professor Juniper's research to the Pokémon League and must find their way back to each other in a torn-apart region.

Several wonderful people have recommended my Changeling System, which I greatly appreciate! So I'll just plug in my other run, Infinite Land, Endless Seas, where a former Nurse Joy-in-training and a former Officer Jenny-in-the-making abandon their designated fields to traverse the Hoenn region, completely unaware of the pissed off demigods ready to ruin their fun and mess up the region.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Oh jeepers cats guys there's too many runs to list here I hope I didn't forget any!!!

@Bowser's Family Vacation 's Brotherhood, in case anyone wanted to know what it's like in the head of Paul from the Sinnoh anime as he goes on a nuzlocke journey. Also, Paper Bowser and the Thousand Year Grind, because who doesn't love a Paper Mario nickname theme and Bowser's witty commentary and on-point reaction memes?

@Leon Yorunaki 's Lost Month which is pretty brand new so what better time to check it out?! It's off to a great start, with lots of juicy family drama and angst~ Also it's a hack made by the author; how cool is that?!

@RubyClaw 's Dimming Diamond, which is not only another one of his excellent [semi, in this case] blind runs, but it is also a playthrough of his incredible lorelocke rules. It's a ton of fun and it's great to hear Ruby's insight on these new games, their mechanics, and how the lorelocke rules play into it all!

@Trollkitten 's Secrets of Atherai: Ori's Gift. This one is a bit of a long runner on the forums, but as it's still updating I think its earned a promo! How could you not love a no-humans, musical nuzlocke with a cute, spunky Eevee at the star of the show? Also A Trace of Magic- Seeing Red, a newer run of hers which involves some interesting rules- the datalocke and dual LGE/Firered gameplay!

@ACottontail 's Questionable Influence, which might have the strangest premise for a nuzlocke comic that I've ever beheld. And it's all part of its charm. This run is a ton of fun with zany but loveable characters. Honestly it kind of gives off Saturday morning cartoon vibes.

@Wastelander Nick 's Level Platinum. Speaking of vibes, this run is very much channeling classic, original Nuzlocke vibes in the best possible way. It's funny when it needs to be and dramatic when it needs to be- it's like chicken soup for the nuzlocker's soul.

@Memento 's Translucent Legends, another awesome lorelocke! It hasn't updated in a while, but it did update this year so a promo it gets! It's dark and a bit harsh, which is what makes it all the more interesting- especially with its engaging characters. Memento also has a few other runs that are worth keeping an eye on!

@QuietGuardian 's An Arduous, Atoning, and Amazing Adventure. As you can tell by the title, this is an Alphabetlocke! It's also a story written in journal format that utilizes said format very well. The story is already at the third gym, but it's so enjoyable with its fun main character and his interesting past. And the writing style is so accessible that you'll breeze right through it before you know it!

@Uberle 's I can Break These Cuffs. Boy oh boy do we have an interesting main character in Freak. He has been describes as a walking meme, and I think that description fits the bill. But his complexities are revealed as the story progresses, which is all the more fun!

@aegagrusScholarship 's Somewhere in Unova . One of the few brave souls who is posting a Castlocke run of Madness Combat! I honestly know nothing of the source material but it's still a ton of fun to read. Plus, the art this dude puts out is just *chef's kiss*.

@Moon 's Orange's Adventures, another awesome lorelocke to grace the forums! This one is particularly fun because of its main character and his friendship with Cheren and Bianca. Plus puns. Puns are always welcome.

YumeTsuki

Professional Moron
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 1, 2020
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Occassionally appears on a whim.
So, once again I crawl out of the darkest edges of existence, to show that I in fact am not just a gremlin that stays hidden in a corner, and present my faves of the year... And like the usual dork I am I'm not very good with words, but I sure as hell got a lot of good comic runs to share... (Which means the notifications probably stop working. Whoops. ówò; )

de2qo13-fb96ec3c-2f7d-4def-a64d-ca48c782c1af.png

Making Matcha - A LeafGreen Gjinka Comic - @ramendotexe

Well written characters and very good battle choreography scenes! I'm looking forward to where this run is heading.

title_by_spottedpool90_deaixpy-pre.jpg

Sun's Trials: A Pokémon Ultra Sun Nuzlocke - @GreyestGray

The strong prologue definitely drew my attention, and the art and pokémon designs are adorable! :3

de2hxp5-06b368ec-af34-42e1-8d23-76133b6dfab9.png

Pocket Space [a FireRed gjinka comic] - @WildfireWhim

Another batch of interesting characters and a cool premise!

de5x9ns-b63a5e67-336d-4f51-9af7-52159eb86be5.png

Sundowner - An Ultra Sun Nuzlocke - @Dschubba

Very pretty art! And an interesting perspective as an adult takes on the island trials while trying to solve a case for her client.

FWIW_forum_signature2.png

For What it's Worth: A Pokémon Black Nuzlocke - @ratrascal

Adorable pokémon designs!

de8nc03-90b9a71a-7ab6-4880-bf6f-d1ed6b96fff1.png

Tala's Nuzlocke Adventure [Soul Silver-Normal Mode] - @TalaSeba

Another interesting premise, I'm looking forward to how it proceeds.

full

First Summer: A Rijon Adventures Nuzlocke - @Krisantyne

Pretty art! Wonderful scenes! Takes place in a fanmade region. Overall a pleasant read.

brokensword.png

Broken Sword Nuzlocke - @Dirtwig-Draws

Love the premise. Taking that scottish personality and rocking it.

dedctge-4c748fc7-8acf-4061-b421-7c9609c9889b.png

Burn Away [an X gjinka comic] - @snooze

Yo... If you haven't read this comic yet... You really should! It's got a fantastic plot and gorgeous art!

index.php

Atychiphobia - A Black/Black 2 Run - @Sarbear

Gorgeous art, interesting characters, and I spy mysteries ahead to solve. òwó

fpzG84a.png

Shiro's Quest: A Nuzlocke Adventure in Hoenn - @ShiroInu

A classic but very enjoyable nuzlocke to read. This is part of a long-running saga that covers multiple regions.

94K1zpx.png

The Ballad of Brett - @RandomTrainer

Super good world-building, and interesting takes on Pokémon!

OuLev4F.jpg

Sunlocke - @TheTRUEgge

You love birds? The artists sure as hell does! 'Lots of birds to find in this comic! And a funny character that loves a lot of shirt designs.

2tOYMhB.png

Speechless - A slightly tweaked Fire Red Nuzlocke Challenge - @Kinetic Kimo

This one isn't as much reading as there are no words to describe anything, as most of it's content is based on gestures and imagery. A picture is worth a thousand words! ~

afatefulnuzlocke.jpg

A Fateful Nuzlocke Challenge - LeafGreen edition - @ponibutts

Absolute babies in this nuzlocke! A pet pikachu escapes from home, and Oleander gets dragged into an adventure.

ddn9sgr-b1509a8b-8862-4582-b9d8-45448517b266.png

Liberty - Soul Silver Nuzlocke - @jadethestone

It's back! And it's getting a rework! A trainer with the ability to speak to pokémon gets dragged into the routine of becoming a pokémon trainer.

dcugicy-c4e2b112-ee1a-428a-ab4e-28b17a01024f.png

A Silly Lillielocke - @Velink

A take on Lillie's adventures through the kanto region after the plot from Alola. Excellent artstyle, and very comedic.

6FSZJP.png

Hypoxia || A Pokémon Soul Silver Nuzlocke - @Polymori

Pretty art, wonderful pokémon designs, and another good story to boot!

Logo_Smaller.png

The Adventures of Mum! A Pokémon Shield Hardcore(ish) Nuzlocke! - @Ookum Spookums

Definitely an unique take on the league challenge. It's not often a parent goes on an adventure. But this mom wants her child back, and some answers.

mgSTWwD.png

Bright Souls - @SnackyTheSylph

Let's start by doing something illegal and accidentily unlocking a power that maybe should've been left alone? This comic is drawn in MS paint, but that is certainly no reason to underestimate it!

FYR_Banner.png

Finding Your Roots - @Salt&PepperBunny

A cute story about a mudkip exploring its earthern heritage, meeting cool friends along the way.

4UhcRhj.png

Penumbra: A Pokemon Moon Nuzlocke - @TwistedEerie

Mysteries galore! The secret codes sprinkled across this comic along with its compelling story telling and pretty art keeps me on my toes. The codes do not need to be solved in order to understand what's going on. But it's a very enjoyable way to pass time. ~

bff3be43bc9a7001ed58e7e19338e143da6c1bc7.png

Judgement Has Come to You - @SaintsGarden

Page 1 got me hooked from the getgo. This Gjinkalocke is about a duo that's going to bring down... Judgement...? on Alola.

0UFcYlz.png

Sweet ReLEAF - @khorale

Cute style, cool characters, and a wholesome start...

signature_2.png

The Long Way II - @Alex_Nidas

The second part of a multi-region nuzlocke. Something suspicious is going on...

severance_nuzforums_banner__2020_by_winterspheonix_ddvitzo-fullview.jpg

Severance: A Platinum Randomized Viruslocke - @Winderspheonix

Good world building in the randomizer department, and an intriguing ruleset.

banner_by_thelastunicorninoz_de1s5ex-pre.jpg

Pokemon Royal Nuzlocke (Pokemon Shield) - @TheLastUnicornInOz

A sheltered girl with health problems left her family in another region behind and gains a chance to prove her worth.

derqgux-d9bbdb0f-08f7-4079-b77a-e750bf61cce7.png

On Borrowed Time - A PMD:EOS Nuzlocke - @Woo

A mute shiny alolan vulpix stranded on the shore and is found by a partially evolved shinx.

686be5d761b99e8b940a6e95e411aec490218f28.png

Finding Balance || A Pokémon Platinum Nuzlocke - @ima

Inspired by the story from the managa series. Precious Berlitz will take the journey to Mt. Coronet. But she's forced to take someone with her on her journey, ending up on an adventure with her childhood friend as a bodyguard.

deetof2-68de8af6-1032-46fd-b225-e1b61686c234.png

Hidden swords - @Giogeth

In search of a forgotten god, a were-toxel travels to Galar.

de49lmm-f70d6059-9ad7-4a90-b9ac-f7aa79c9788f.png

Blooming Glory: A Crystal Nuzlocke - @Spacey

A little sister goes on an adventure to find her lost brother, the champion of the region.

ddjg035-4775b665-4941-4be4-925b-11c4564a1fcc.png

Deadly Syns - @SysterSyn

What seems like a normal adventure quickly tumbles into a deeper rabbit hole. Be ready for a lot of feels.

defn7hs-98577ce7-eea3-4f23-9a0c-ae740ec69104.png

Autumn in Sinnoh Platinum nuzlocke Comic - @Nessi

Maybe it's not a good idea to piss off a space god. Unless you don't mind being killed and thrown into another world reincarnated as a turtwig... Cute art, cute characters. :3

wlera_cover_2_0_by_neowth_ded16x2-fullview.jpg

WLERA: When Little Emma Ran Away - @Neowth

Title says it all, Emma runs away. And leaves trouble in her wake.

CLM0I8S.png

Emerald Run: A Pokémon Emerald Nuzlocke - @incomescrane

A new arrival, but it sure as hell looks promising, and the art is A+

ddv2son-09615b23-4086-45bd-8e14-bb7209a39e92.png

Undertow - A Moon Nuzlocke - @Riboo

From the perspective of a Team Skull Grunt who is honestly just vibing. And then he gets a chance at the trials...

unknown.png

THE NATEVENTURE - A (funny) Pokémon Emerald Nuzlocke Comic - @NOOLMAN

Slapstick humor, nailing the saturday morning cartoons vibe. While also having a cute mudkip.

ddvx2im-6f3c7636-983b-4861-a8ac-ce43dd839509.png

Across the Divide - @pkmnMasterWheeler

What if ash's pikachu was the protagonist in a mystery dungeon esque setting? Well, for one, it gets the best sidekick ever. You can not change my mind.

deetq3h-86ab8e57-ae53-4861-85ea-4280912908a9.png

Soul Brothers [SoulSilver Nuzlocke Comic] - @GECKO

Wholesome, adorable, and gave me the impression nothing could possibly go wrong. How dare you.

tumblr_inline_ow75rolxjh1uwv284_540.png

pouch creatures dark difficult version - @Empty Sun

Violence and fun. ~

03dcc161c3b085533343f03be905bfce.png

What The Water Gave Me - A SoulSilver Nuzlocke Comic - @effsnares

Pretty af art, and from what I can see pretty good world building with cute pokémon. c:

deesspy-b1ae214a-9753-4df7-b613-8eb1f6419652.png

Kurukkoo! - @Kadew

There are birds. And overall fun character interactions.

MkTqAyT.png

Sunshine - @yepiz

An ex grunt from a disbanded evil organization tries to start over and just get by in life in a normal way as an empanadas salesman.

ddyj8ab-76bc7f95-ae16-4c76-a50c-e03def62f66c.png

Wanted! - A Pokémon Colosseum Nuzlocke - @YumeTsuki

Yume defects from Team Snagem after stealing a proto type and then sets out to break the law and sow chaos in an already chaotic region

Last edited:

Chess

birds can't hurt me these shades are gucci
Globetrotter
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Team Omega
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
They/Them/She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Grass
Pokédex Entry
can be bribed with shiny objects and spices to do household repairs. utterly incapable of many things, but does them anyway
i think i only really read like two runs this year that haven't already been highlighted and i'd be remiss if i didn't promo them

also uh. do they have to have actual gameplay attached. are we in the Nuzlocke Radical portion of the ganza's nuzlocke definitions. time sensitive qu

i think if anyone still knows me here they know what the first promo's gonna be, because i haven't really stopped talking about it since i started reading it. Ashes & Tea Leaves - A Valerie Story by @SnakeWrangler was explicitly started as a sort of nuzlocke-less nuzlocke by his own admission, and honestly? I don't even know where to begin. Minimalist storytelling is hard enough as it is as anyone who's seen a bad two sentence horror post can attest; minimalist storytelling that still very much captures the subject's voice, feelings, lack of focus, and lack of awareness of their connections to the world, laying them bare without quite giving you the chance to realize why it matters until the moment has already passed, and more importantly, turning that liminal space between a moment and its impact, that moment of half-remembered nostalgia for things you didn't appreciate at the time into a lens of its own?

I don't know if I have the words to really do justice to what this run accomplishes. Sometimes you just encounter writing that changes you. Sometimes that writing is pokemon fanfiction about a character with barely a dozen lines throughout the franchise. You take what you can get, really

On the other end of the scale, not in terms of merit but tone and content, is Like a Weed by @Tookie is a SWSH reimagining that, I think, really gets to the heart of what SWSH is about better than a Pokemon game typically can, just by dint of the format. There is a championship. You the player will win the championship, but not before saving the world. Things like having worked retail long enough to effortlessly switch between your Customer Service Voice and your normal register, or putting your entire foot in your mouth in front of some very important people might happen, but they aren't the story.

Weedman's tale is made more interesting by the way it focuses on the sport itself more than any world-changing events. There aren't any heroes to be found, except maybe the barest hint of them in the upper echelons of the bracket, far from where Weedman stands. SWSH itself was met with some derision for focusing on the tournament more than the mythos, but the economics and scale of it make for a genuinely fascinating topic to inflict on an absolute outsider with something to prove and none of the official support that we've come to expect as players of the game. Like A Weed doesn't take itself seriously until it does, and Tookie is a master of finding the humor and absurdity inherent to the setup while still managing to capture the personal impact of wins and losses on a global stage. And where this story shines is that the separation from gameplay allows Weedman to lose outright, to embarass himself on a stage that wasn't meant for him, and to pick himself up and keep going. You can't have an underdog story without an underdog

also this is legally still an isekai run. fight me

Last edited:

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
Alright I have time to do Screenshot and Comic recs now, praise be

Screenshot Runs

The Sixlocke Series by @greenbeanbottle is such a fantastic concept--completely randomizing a team of six that are the only Pokemon that can be used all run, no more captures or replacements. GBB puts an incredible amount of care and strategy into planning around these limitations, and it's really made me appreciate the capacities of Onix, amongst others!

Dee's Grand Adventure by @Dee is a fun series that's just starting up, with a different ruleset for each game they're planning to play, voted on by the readers! They're doing pretty good at their Crystal run right now, and the Pokemon nicknames are goddamn adorable

Dust in the Wind 4 ÷ 2 = 2 and That's How Many Moths I Have by @Erberor , resident Moth Expert, is something a little different in his series of moth-based conquests--it's Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, with two Dustox! This caused some funkiness early in the game but it's starting to smooth out, and as I know very little about this game I'm really enjoying reading this run and learning about it through such a unique lens

Comics

Soul Brothers by @GECKO is such an adorable, wholesome run until the moments where it punches you DIRECTLY in the heart. Corey and Ty have such wonderful dynamics with each other and the rest of the team, and the concept of having a Pokemon as an adoptive sibling is explored with a lot more seriousness than you might be initially led to believe...

Kurukkoo! by @Kadew is hands down the cutest thing happening on the forums, no contest whatsoever. Kadew's art style is delightful and she packs so much into each page that you'll want to read them again and again! The protagonists are perfect ten-year-old gremlins and I would die for them

Undertow by @Riboo is a hella fun Alolan run, following Kai, a Team Skull member who's given a second shot at the Island Challenge and takes it up with... well, a lot of complaining actually, but he still does it. His kinda brotherly vibe with Hau is great, I love 'em

A Home For The Broken by @faerieconstellations is still in its beginnings, but the art style is so soft and beautiful and the characters so lively, it's easy to fall in love with immediately. We love a story about healing and moving forwards ❤️

High Ground by @Malochroma is already looking to be a great time--I've been thinking for a while that Galar seems like the perfect place to monolocke, given the massive variety offered early by the Wild Area, and thus protagonist Ricki is out to prove the superiority of her beloved Ground-types to all of Galar!

Wanted! by @YumeTsuki is a buckwild and bloodthirsty Colosseum comic, where Wes has been replaced by the far more unhinged Yume who has some mysterious connection to shadow Pokemon. YT draws some of the goddamn scariest shadow Pokemon I've ever seen and I love it every time.

Deadly Syns by @SysterSyn might well be my favourite comic run right now. SysterSyn's artstyle has developed into something truly dynamic and iconic over the course of the run, which stars fun takes on a lot of canon characters, some of the coolest Pokemon designs I've seen this side of Apocalypse Johto, and the mysterious human(?) dumpster fire that is Syn as the protagonist. Some really surprising characters have turned up in the current Silph arc, which is juggling a LOT of people, but doing it very deftly and I'm always excited to see updates in my inbox!

Internship by @AmossyRock is new and already looking really good. I'm down for a protagonist who's doing a research internship rather than being a trainer, and thus approaching the Pokemon they catch from a more scientific perspective, though I'm still worried about what "poke-rabies" entails...

Judgement Has Come To You by @SaintsGarden is one of the most stylistically unique Nuzlocke comics I've seen, with a strong vibe of artists I used to see a lot of on oekaki boards but with some cool apocalypse-punk flare. I always love me a post-apocalypse, and I especially love me one where people unironically have names like "Bullet Hell". That's easily the best kind of apocalypse.

The Adventures Of Mum! by @Ookum Spookums is a concept I'm all here for--the Galarian protagonist has gone missing, so it's up to her mum to go find out what's happened to her. It sets up a lot of interesting lore, and I laugh pretty hard every time Tooks the Skwovet goes All Might on his foes XD

A Fateful Nuzlocke Challenge by @ponibutts , or, An Emo And His Pikachu: seriously, this comic's excellent, a lot of depth to the characterizations, and I really love Ollie's whole team. I also want to kill Ollie's dad more basically every time he's mentioned. The true villain of Kanto is Ollie's Dad's Bullshit.

yepiz

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
Pokédex Entry
Often lost in thought
extRAVAGNAANZZANAWWW. I'm excited to return and promote some of the comics I've been following closely. I hope this year I discover new runs because I'm somehow feeling like a fish out of water. Maybe I'm coming back before the 15th to write more runs... depends on work (help hahaha).

The landscapes, road trips and sisters' relationships are what makes the Rainbow Tour so special for me. I didn't expect to find a point of view so different from the usual become-champion nuzlocke. Which is fine, but sometimes it makes you wonder if you can twist a nuzlocke run hard before it loses its point.

Praising the medium, because I do comics half of my time after work, I've looked several times the colours of each page. The paneling deeps you down to the environment and feelings behind it. The moments of tension even if there are no battles are exciting. I wonder, where this adventure will go on? Each road is quite different and very interesting. I recommend you mmizart's comic if your heart resonates with all these concepts.​
Is it possible to take the burn away after all the people around you feel more special than you? I don't wanna pun out the title of Snoozer's comic thanks to english not being my first language. However I felt that there's a part of Roman's character that wants to be part of the world around you so he tries hard to chase his dream even going beyond his limits. The gijinka protagonist is on a quest to gain that special ability that he lacks. He has a team that is supporting him and despite everybody having this magical gift, all of them have their own struggles.

Snooze is a mad artist when it comes to composition, colors, lights, shadows, boom bang battles, shiny sparkles, character diversity and when dramatic moments come, it strikes you hard. It's incredible how far she has come when it comes to improvement (I bet this comic has awards under its belt, tho!).

Summary if you wanna see HD punches and kicks with gijinkas supernatural powers and one trying to be so, Burn away is your choice!
This is the comic you start reading as a hilarious classic comedy to a one you get attachment to their characters thanks to the level up of the comic itself. The funniest characters get a brief look at their weakness, family and circumstances that made them who they are. It's an humanity detail that makes the characters feel real. Not only the main trainer and her pokémon have a spotlight here, but the Team Rocket brothers, which are, particular for me, my favorite heel-face turns here after discovering some truths about themselves.

The latest update (without spoilers of course) is right in front of the PKMN league. You (as a possible reader) have a chance to get ready before the last challenge! Check out French's French and see what she's up to! To the Victory Road!!!

A Silly LillieLocke is the ultimate twist of fate and mixing of crazy headcanons comic that goes close to the line of "Oh god, this is pokémon?" and it's more like "PKMN COULD DO THIS??? PERHAPS POSSIBLY YES??? HELL YEAH!!!". Gazillions of references here and there. If you read the pokémons manga series, follow the pokémon anime or any popular media, you'll identify many blinks.

The artstyle is super consistent. I don't know how Velink manages to do this. Characters expresion deserve an award for being different in every single panel. When it comes to color it surely surprises you. And just after defeating a formidable challenger (such as gym leaders) you'll be rewarded with an amazing illustration of everybody's celebration: in Kanto, in Alola, somewhere in the Ultra Space. It's an astonishing party!

For sure is my top comedy of one of the cutests characters in the 7th generation, Lillie. If you like reading gangs and crazy possibilities, this one's for you.​
Many people have said this comic is about birds. Indeed it has! But also something that is very cool is Kurukoo's two main protagonists. They are like the red Oni and Blue oni duo... inverted! One always pushing further for the tactical victory, who'll be Professor Oak's niece, Blue and the curious and blissful newcomer Red, who is more curious and sensitive to discover the pokémon world.

I've commented on this before, even if the quest to become a pokémon master is slow, arduous and tiring, there will be many aesops, lessons learned and incredible stories that will shine brighter before getting a badge. And that is what really matters after all. Just two kids and sometimes wonderful pokémon bird companions.

And not least nor forgotten is the art: have you seen a charmander sleeping on a bofire before? Or anatomically detailed prehistoric pokémon? Yep. That is all I have to say about it. I enjoy too much Kadew's panels. Perhaps I'm missing more details that you could find!

Single player kid nuzlocke version? I'm enchanted by Cordia's adventure. Innocence, new discoveries and friendship are some of the adjectives that come to my mind when I recall this pokémon journey. Like Kurukoow, this nuzlocke is a slow-paced adventure. Kanto kid comes to a new region, in the process she cheers up and meets new people, pokémon pals and encourages herself to go on this ritual training that is the Island Challenge. I'm feeling this story as a growing up process, naturally happening. I can't help but smile everytime I see an update of Lanae's nuzlocke. Is a sun nuzlocke and still makes me feel nostalgic of my childhood.

Narrative speaking is very clear, there's no way to get lost. Expositions is something that you'll really appreciate if you're a Alola tourist like me (lol). Soft colors and roundy lines also help.

I wish this comic would get to know even more. This story speaks honestly and I do feel more attached to this character more when I read it again. Give it a chance.
Initially prophetic, almost poetic. This comic is truly beginning. I'm holding my peanuts on this one and wish incomescrane for the best. I don't have too many words to describe this comic and yet I'm amazed at how much it can tell within a few pages.

Booker was called in a dream by no one else but pokémon legendaries. Still, he’s not quite bothered to continue with it.

The black and white emphasis here is just right to focus on the possibly serious tone of this comic. I'm looking forward to this run!​

Last edited:

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
I read so many good run this year I'm sure I forgot some (and I'm leaving myself the right to go back and add a few more if I remember). Anyway here's a bunch that came to my mind and I think are quite worthy of your recognition and some praises.

Comic:
The Ballad of Brett by @RandomTrainer - This comic run just speak for itself. A beautifully drawn adventure story set in a pokemon world in which humanity is very much connected to nature, and pokemon are an integral part of the ecosystem and agriculture.

Kurukkoo! by @Kadew - A very fun, colorful and cheerful fun that just brings a smile to me every time I read a new chapter of it.

The Adventures of Mum! A Pokemon Shield Hardcore(ish) Nuzlocke! by @Ookum Spookums - A brilliant and very original idea for a run that makes for a very entertaining read.

THE NATEVENTURE by @NOOLMAN - A very amusing comic, in many ways in the spirit of the original Nuzlocke yet it also combines concepts from the classic funny comic genre.

Deadly Syns by @SysterSyn - Something about this run is just so touching and I find it rather hard to explain exactly what. Perhaps it is the awesome character development or the hardships the protagonist and her pokemon have to deal with. Either way, an excellent run.

Step by Step by Step by @Tailsimp - A touching story about a journey of growth and friendship.

Written Runs:
All Our Futures: A Y Giftlocke by @SayleeK - The most surprising story run I read this year and one of the best I ever read so far. A short and sweet story about many kinds of loves and happy ever afters.

Secrets of Aetherai: Ori's Gift by @Trollkitten - One of my favorite written runs on the forums, a fun music rich adventure in the beautifully crafted world of Aetheari. A run that combines musicals, theology and pokemon and does it well is something you just have to check out for yourself!

The Hippocratic Oath by @Spectacles - What can I say, Spectacles somehow found a way to make an even better run than her two previous gems, this time going all in for the story format and writing an extremely touching story about dealing with the unfairness and cruelty of fate and about the bravery of fighting against all odds for what you believe is right.

Orange's Adventures by @Moon - A thrilling and intense story of growth and overcoming challenges, and also a really cool lorelocke of Unova, both in the same package!

Legends of Hoenn: a Pokemon Sapphire Lorelocke by @Corviknight best birb - A classic adventure story of a protagonist and their loyal pokemon companions, each with their own unique characters and abilities. Join them as they grow together to become a true team.

Screenshot/Written Logs:
The Monstrosity by @Spectacles -When I made the Lorelocke rules I admit I never dreamt someone will be crazy enough to combine them with two more hardcore rulesets thinking to themselves "there's got to be a way to make this even more complicated and full of layers!". But hi, if anyone can do it, it is Specs! A highly entertaining run that is the pinnacle of the custom ruleset madness, and gets to show off the beauty of how all these rulesets can be combined and what unique stories and pokemon it can create.

Paper Bowser and the Thousand-Year Grind by @Bowser's Family Vacation - First of all, it is a very fun and thrilling run. But more than that, Bowser here is just an extremely funny person who delivers tons of humor in her runs which makes this run extremely fun to follow.

Alola Exp-lore-ation by @QuietGuardian - Both a prime example of the Lorelocke rules (and on an Alolan game which make things even more interesting!), and a great strategy heavy gameplay based run in which you can see the behind the scenes of a talented Nuzlocker at play. Highly recommended.

Sword Shenanigans by @Skarmizard - A very detailed casual and very fun run of pokemon Sword where you get to experience the game through the eyes of Skarmi and enjoy his insightful and just plain fun thoughts and remarks.

Translucent Legends: A Crystal Lorelocke by @Memento - A very dark yet intriguing and thrilling story set in a fantasy setting. Join Fawn as she tries to find her place in a world of pokemon, creatures she is having a very hard time to accept yet can't turn her back on.

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire Exclusionlocke by @Zefalcon - or rather the entire series of Exclusionlockes by Zefalcon, but this is the latest of the bunch so I chose it. This run is very much a classic gameplay based challenge run, and is extremely fun to follow! (And I recommend to start from the beginning of the series).

The Sixlocke Series by @greenbeanbottle - Another installment in the awesome series of runs. The format, the details, the game event story-telling, all make this run a must follow!

Dee's Grand Adventure by @Dee - Who doesn't like an ambitious grand adventure! This "you vote for the rules" run is just in its beginning with a calm and fun to follow notepad run of Crystal but has already got me hooked up.

Shameless self promotion, Dimming Diamond by me. My attempt at combining a lorelocke, a semi-blind run, and a game review run in one package. Not sure if it's working well or not, but I'll let you be the judge of that I guess.

Last edited:

Moon

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
@Moon - Yeah, yours and like 3 more runs which accidently put in the Screenshot section instead of the Written run, and I didn't even get to add two more runs I was planning on (and just added). That's what happens when you press post by accident before organizing your stuff 😋

Neowth

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
I don't really care tbh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
A dork from the North
There's many runs I love, but I want to put out only the hidden gems here, in order to have the spotlight on some unnoticed runs people might be missing out on :)

Here we go!

Emerald Run by @incomescrane: I found this run by accident. Only what, 3 pages in and I was intrigued! The manga style is a nice change from all the cartoonish and coloured runs I'm usually drawn to, I got some biblical accurate vibes which I always approve andI'm excited to see what happened on this run that made the author decide to use game notes from 2015(?).

simple. by @sealclown: The first monotype nuzlocke comic I've seen and after seeing what nonesense you've to do with Roxanne with a normal type team.... CAN'T HONESTLY WAIT. Also, the normal types you can get in Emerald are fun, the art is gorgeous and it's Hoenn!

Rainbow Tour by @mizar : This comics art is very pretty, I like the character / pokemon designs and how it seems to me the MC is just hanging out with the League challenger who is the game's rival (I think?). Lots of good vibes and I love camping/worldbuilding outside the League and Gyms.

Altered Egos by @Creepmander : Only the prologue's out, but I find the style charming and fitting for the horror-like atmosphere the author is going for. This is gonna be something big and I'm ready for that ride! Also it's a randomised locke so OH BOY.

Forgotten Fables by @holdinglines: Cute art style and I like the protagonist already! Can't wait to see where this story goes.

Autumn in Sinnoh by @Nessi: one of the rising stars in the community I believe. And no wonder; interesting set up, tragic backstories and children committing crimes while being cute.... who would not love that?

Sunshine by @yepiz: Somehow I've missed this gem of an alolan adventure! Hope you're not making the same mistake, the art is adorable and I'd die for the main cast. Still catching up in the story but oh man is it a good journey!

Judgment has come to you by @SaintsGarden : The concept is one that you don't see often and I do like Judgment a lot as sassy cat person. Also again, a nice change with the styles, being more manga like than coloured cartoon/anime style. And those character designs are a cherry!

Game of Change and Out of the Dark by @Pasteldeity : I used to read their old locks and I am just glad to see em back. Get ready for some clever plot, interesting rule sets and amazing art!

BLANK by @jaeb_dub : An expressionless protagonist is a nice idea, and the reason behind it is even better! Most people do forget about some Pokédex entries, after all.

Making Matcha by @ramendotexe : another hidden Gijinka locke I don't see too many people hyping about. Just the effort they have put on their comic's forum pages tells you of dedication for this story! I'm ready for more!

Also there's WLERA, I hope it's making you all laugh :')

Hana

Sparkly eldritch horrorterror
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 22, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Ice
Eeeyoooo here we go!

you can Tell i mostly gravitate towards 4th gen runs and gijinkas i am sinnoh and/or gijinkalocke trash im sorry

PERSONAL FAVES:

Sinners of Sinnoh, by @satanicswirlix
Hooooboy where do I even start? Not just a Sinnoh nuzlocke (totally no bias here) but an ANIMATED sinnoh nuzlocke????
I've honestly been blown away with the content so far and I'm so excited to see where this goes. The voice acting is on point, the humour is so well timed and the art style is adorable and fits the whole vibe so well. Not to mention the sheer DEDICATION it takes to do a project like this??? please watch sinners of sinnoh or i'll break into your house at night with a gun until you do.

When Little Emma Ran Away, by @Neowth
There are a million different reasons for promo-ing this comic but my current #1 reason is THAT JAW DROPPINGLY AWESOME GIRATINA DESIGN. THE COOLEST GIRATINA I'VE EVER SEEN. Read it for that if nothing else. WLERA also boasts a unique cast of characters (and excellent takes on the canon DPPt characters' desgns), super cute art, top notch humour and excellent pacing, giving you time to soak in what's happening while keeping the plot moving along and keeping the reader gripped. The facial expressions are also 100/10

Champion's Mercy, by @spacesriot
One of my favourite gijinkalockes! I love the "bunch of friends being chill having a fun trip around the country but something messed up is happening in the shadows" vibe. The characters just bounce off each other and the interactions feel so natural. Jupi is a master at designing unique and diverse characters that still clearly resemble the Pokemon (and they're a super sweet and friendly person too). And there's so much content despite still being fairly early game! All the characters are so interesting and have so much going for them, which can definitely be a challenge given the huge casts gijinkalockes tend to have but CM pulls it off so well.

[Blank] by @jaeb_dub
Suuuuper pretty art and attractive character designs! (also tons of really cool extras!) I love the take on the protagonist having no soul and how it affects her interactions with everyone. Super great cast of characters who are familiar yet refreshing. And did I mention super pretty art and backgrounds?

Relic Radiation, by @critterlingz
I!!! Love!!! where this is going!!!
Full of intrigue right from the start, and thrusts us into an uncertain foreboding world full of mystery. The detail in the plot and comic panels are fantastic and often serve as clues to what's going on. An excellent take on the DPPT story with a super unique twist. And excellent character designs.

Pokemon Gijinka Nuzlocke Challenge, by @EarlyGrey
A classic right from the early era, and the first gijinkalocke I ever remember being aware of.
Top notch character designs, completely wild off the wall humour, honestly this needs to be considered one of The classic gijinkalockes.

severance_nuzforums_banner__2020_by_winterspheonix_ddvitzo-fullview.jpg

Severance, by @Winterspheonix
Another super unique take on the 4th gen plot. The sense that Nothing's Quite Right is there right from the start.
The use of colour and panelling is incredible and really sets the atmosphere perfectly (e.g. the contract between the blue lighting and Vulcan's flames in the Roark battle!)
What I especially love about the art is how Winter seamlessly interprets the Pokemon designs in her own style, making them super unique but still recognisable (check out that Togetic on page 15!)
Plus it's a randomised run so both the catches and gym pokemon are ones that you wouldn't see in a conventional DPPt run. Speaking of which, I absolutely LOVE how Tala and her team all interact with each other. The fight scenes are so dynamic and really put you on the edge of your seat.

686be5d761b99e8b940a6e95e411aec490218f28.png

Finding Balance, by @ima
A fresh take on the Platinum story based more on the manga . The art is sooooo gorgeous and the character designs are great. Precious being the sheltered daughter of a rich family setting out into the real world gives a lot of opportunities for the humour to shine through, her having no idea about the cost of everyday things like the hotel made me laugh a lot. And she and Pearl just bounce off each other so naturally and I'm in love with their dynamic. I would die for them. There's also tons of adorable extra side content already despite being early game

episodegrey.png

Myths of Unova: Episode Grey by @Kylee nim
A sequel to the LEGENDARY Myths of Unova. I'm so looking forward to seeing how the OG characters have grown since the MOU incidents, and the new characters are absolutely precious. I can't wait to see how the BW2 lore is expanded here given how incrediblly breathtaking the MoU worldbuilding was. We're definitely in for a treat.
And as usual, the absolutely Stellar art you can expect from Kynim

Logo_Smaller.png

The Adventures of Mum!, by @Ookum Spookums
i LOVE this concept so much! As the title suggests, we see the story of Shield told from the POV of the player's mum, after Gloria and Hop went missing in the Slumbering Weald.
The Pokemon have so much personality and I loved watching Mum navigate the modern pokemon league and get used to new tech and battling. And the interactions between Mum and Sonia are quality.
One other thing I really love is the way Spookums handles dialogue-heavy parts by showing simple panels and images, and dialogue around them on the background. (I may or may not be taking advice from this).

Hana

Sparkly eldritch horrorterror
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 22, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Ice
And other super cool runs I love that definitely deserve a promo
(sorry for making this 2 posts but I didn't know if the tagging would get messed up if I did it in 1)

Autumn in Sinnoh, by @Nessi

Deadly Syns, by @SysterSyn

Wanted!, by @YumeTsuki

Penumbra, by @TwistedEerie

Pocket Space, by @WildfireWhim

Blooming Glory, by @Spacey

Pi and Pea's Adventures by @piyostoria

Lakour's X Nuzlocke, by @Waweezer

The Nateventure, by @NOOLMAN

By The Sword, by @SnakeEyesDraws

Soul Brothers, by @GECKO

What the Water Gave Me, by @effsnares