• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • 🎊🎊🎊 Happy Nuzyear! The 11th annual Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza has closed, but you can find the user promotionals HERE and the final results HERE Go read all about these cool runs!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Extravaganza 2021 – Promos Thread

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garish Garchomp

Friendly Neighborhood Landshark
Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
Howdy!

Welcome one and all to the 2021 Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! I'm back at it again running the Ganza this year, and I'm flanked by a wonderful feature team to get this 11th edition of this most premier event off the ground and soaring as usual. We're once again tweaking things a little bit this year, though not as much as in 2020 unless you count a whole lot more explanations and clarifications in the whole process. That said, you'll find much of the overhaul comes below...

First off, we have something new to add to this stretch of the Extravaganza! As you know, the last couple years have seen us add rotational categories to the Ganza ballot. But this year, we'll be letting you decide which two will be added! IF YOU WANT A SAY IN WHICH CATEGORIES WILL BE ADDED TO THE END OF THIS YEAR'S BALLOT, YOU CAN VOTE RIGHT HERE! You'll have three options to choose from (as a couple that were suggested in the Reflective unfortunately were either too narrow in scope or wouldn't translate across all three mediums), as well as a write-in option for category ideas as well to make sure all bases are covered.

Along those lines, should this format of voting work well, we may use it for all the voting later on, in place of the Google Forms of last year! Part of the reason for that is that it allows us to set requirements on who can vote, after having to manually discard votes from non-forum members last year. We'll keep you posted on that front, but be aware that we may set a requirement on who can vote based on when the account was registered, and that registration date may or may not come from before the Ganza.

If you have any issues with this process, let me know and I'll see what I can do to troubleshoot or whatever the case may be.

So! The main event! The promo period that kicks off the Extravaganza has its own time again. This period is for promoting any runs that have been updated any time in the year of 2021, as those are the runs eligible for the 2021 Extravaganza. That means there's a boatload runs to plug here, and a whole lot of reading to do to catch up on 'em all and be informed for the big show!

Here are the rules to keep in mind when you post, with changes from last year underlined like this:
  • The promos period will run from January 1st to January 15th, with nominations kicking off after it's over. Of course, this thread will stay up throughout the Ganza.
  • If you need a prompt to help you figure out what to promo, try to find the best hidden gems you think might need a signal boost ahead of the Ganza!
  • There is no size limit on promotions! That's right, we might as well call this Extravaganza 2021 – Promos Unleashed, because you've got all the room you could ask for here. Keep things accessible, of course, but if you wanna wax poetic then by all means!
    • Not just that, but you can promote as many runs as you want! We're testing this format this year to see how it runs, so feel free to spread as much love as possible!
    • You are allowed to promote your own run in here, so don't be shy to put your name forward and tell the world why your run is awesome! However, you must promote at least two other runs before doing so, and we obviously ask that you put as much effort into those promotions as you would your own.
    • Let people know you promoted them! Tag them in the post! Give 'em a nice comment on their thread! Put it on their wall! Talk about it in Discord! It's alllll about bringing people up, so let's get it!

Please also note that this is your window to opt out of participation in the Extravaganza. If you would like to opt out, please message a featurer so that we may place your name on the ineligibility list that'll be provided with this year's nomination ballot. We want you to feel comfortable with the event however possible, and by opting out prior to the event, you will allow other creators to be nominated/voted on for awards in the places you might have taken up despite not wanting to. Participation in the Extravaganza is not, in fact, mandatory, but we will need your notice in by the 15th of January so we may release an accurate nomination ballot on time.

And that's that! Hop over to the discussion thread with any questions or comments you might have, or to check out the full schedule for the Extravaganza this year. These next two weeks are a great time to immediately abandon new year's resolutions catch up on runs, discover those you might have missed, and shout out creators who delivered the goods this year! All that will put you in a real comfy and knowledgeable spot heading into nominations, giving you more of an idea of how to fill out your ballots.

We'll be back with nominations on January the 16th. Until then, get promoting, and get your fellow creators hyped for the show to come!

Last edited:

TheTRUEgge

three of them?? this has gotten out of hand!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
Howdy hey I have MANY of these! This was such a great year for Nuzlockes, I loved everything that I read! These are sorted by category, but other than that aren’t sorted at all. I just opened every single run I wanted to promote (The “watched threads” tab is a lifesaver) and got… busy. So, so busy.

I read so many comics this year! Who would've guessed that being a moderator on two comic-focused servers would result in such a thing? These are just some of the awesome comics I've read and enjoyed, and I'm sure I've forgotten a few. They're just all so good! I couldn't pick just a few!

Soul Brothers by @GECKO is an absolutely heartwrenching comic following brothers Corey and Ty across their League challenge! What stands out the most about this comic is the thoughtful writing and fascinating team dynamic; I can’t get enough of the nuanced arguments Corey and Ty have, or the wonderful antics the team gets up to while protecting baby Omelette. Super excited for this run to be on the forums this year!

Rising Sun by @Piglings follows the mysterious Luna through her misadventures in Alola. Despite Luna’s aloof attitude, the comic is a light and entertaining read, with plenty of moments that had me laughing and plenty more that had me saying “oh no, I shouldn’t laugh but I just can’t help it.” It perfectly blends humor and more serious elements, and I’m intrigued to learn more about Luna’s past.

By the Sword by @SnakeEyesDraws is packed with lovable characters, intriguing plotlines, and absolutely astounding battles. Seriously, the detail put into this comic is incredible, and there are a ton of plot hooks just begging to be theorized about. I’m particularly invested in protagonist Tumble’s journey to become the best dragon gym leader ever, and the steep learning curve he’s stumbled into.

Bright Souls by @SnackyTheSylph follows Amelia and her Totodile who she definitely did not steal, no sir. Amelia’s just here to cause mischief, but she’s accidentally been pulled in over her head after… trying to steal ANOTHER thing, go figure. Her antics combined with some neat lore and fun characters make this a lovely run to follow.

PMD: Rangers of Sky by @solaris127h and @GreyCorsola is a PMD-style comic packed with awesome visuals, a super intriguing plot, and terrible bastard characters who I simply adore. It’s also surprisingly heartfelt, and I can’t wait to see where it’s headed.

Pandemonium in Johto by @novamallow is a delightful randomized Nuzlocke and I love it very much. I am going to politely point you towards this fan feature I wrote about it earlier this year because it sums up my thoughts quite nicely.

simple. by @sealclown is just. So. Cute! The artstyle is wonderfully soft and it fits the storytelling perfectly. Wuby is taking on the gym challenge and following in the footsteps of Norman, their dad, by only raising normal types! The friends they’ve made, people and Pokemon alike, are extremely wholesome. If you’re looking for a soft and laid-back run, you should absolutely give this a read.

Game of Chance by @Pasteldeity is a comic that blends a difficult ruleset into an intriguing plotline expertly. Although we haven’t seen much of it yet, the explanations currently in play are great, and the characters are very interesting.

Nuzlocke S3 by @Yuriakashu is a comic as simple as it is effective. It follows Yule, a boy who can’t catch Pokemon, as he navigates a Johto suffering through a heat wave. The way this comic’s unique world is woven throughout its plot is fascinating, and it’s heartwrenching to see what Yule must go through.

Eclipsed by @LintuLady is an absolutely delightful Nuzlocke that just recently got started! It follows Delilah, who’s just moved back to Alola with her father, as she sets out on the Island Challenge! The highlight of this comic so far is the dynamic between the upbeat Delilah and her stick-in-the-mud starter, Coconut the Rowlet. I’m a sucker for any Alola comic, and an Alola comic with a starter Rowlet? Can’t go wrong with that!

Autumn in Sinnoh by @Nessi is a comedic journey through Sinnoh, following Autumn, who has had her soul accidentally shoved into the body of a Turtwig (Accidentally, Palkia swears). Now she’s trying to figure out how to reverse this, and making some friends along the way!

First Summer by @Krisantyne is about young trainer Sara and her quest to rescue her sister before the summer’s end. Despite this ticking clock, First Summer is a delightfully relaxed comic, with gorgeous scenery and plenty of fun character moments. It’s so detailed that I feel like I could spend hours marveling at the pages, and I have, and I will definitely continue to.

Finding Your Roots by @Salt&PepperBunny is an Omega Ruby nuzlocke set in a pmd-style world. It follows Cedar as she goes on a journey to rescue an egg and connect with her identity as an earthen. The art style is cute and colorful, and the comic itself deals with heavy themes about identity and society in an interesting and nuanced way.

Deadly Syns by @SysterSyn is packed full of great art, fun characters, and an interesting plotline! It puts a new spin on the traditional Kanto comic, and all the characters are hilarious and wonderful. It's also got some fantastic battle sequences and scenery if that's up your alley!

Blooming Glory by @Spacey sticks out to me for a simple reason: The protagonist, Glory, doesn't end her journey by becoming the champion. She's got much, much more work to do than just that, and her duties as champion--as well as the aftermath of her rise to that position--is all dealt with in a thoughtful and interesting way.

Sunlocke by yours truly follows Ann, a human from a world that definitely did NOT have Pokemon in it. She’s been trucking along on her journey for a while now, but new developments have weakened her resolve. Not to brag or anything, but I’m super proud of this comic; I feel like it’s a great representation of how far I’ve come as a creator, and the pages I posted in 2021 were some of my favorites ever!

Screenshot runs are really interesting to me because of the sheer variety you see in them! It's much more than you get in comic or written runs, I feel, and that makes every one of them just about completely unique. There have been a lot of delightful screenshot runs that I read this year, and my favorites all have a funky little ruleset or a charming commentary style that's just very pleasant to read.

Snuff Out the Light by @Mattman324 asks a question: In a game where you can steal, but you can’t steal everything, just how much of the Pokedex can you fill? It’s the type of question I never knew I needed the answer to, but I’ve had a great time reading this run and finding out! It tickles my inner completionist, and also my inner love of grinding, because hehe number go up.

fuzzball by @Hallow is another run that asks a question I hadn’t thought of but is, in hindsight, very important: Can you beat drayano hack Volt White with naught but a single Joltik? The answer has been surprising to me so far, and I’m excited to see this run continue to develop!

let’s attempt to nuzlocke radical red against my better judgment by @Alolan Floatzel is another run attempting to do something that was probably not intended by the developer. Radical Red is a difficulty hack, and judging by this run, it is difficult indeed. Watching Floatzel theorycraft through the earlygame has been a fascinating experience, and I’m rooting for him to eventually succeed!

Copyrightlocke! by @Master Bryss follows a unique rule that is deceptively difficult: Each move is ‘owned’ by the first Pokemon caught who knows it. Only that Pokemon will be able to use said move for the rest of the run. This simple stipulation leads to a run that is uniquely difficult, with much of the strategizing revolving around things such as “Which starter do I choose to ensure that the next Pokemon I catch can actually hit things” and “Just how willing am I to switch-grind everything that knows but cannot use Tackle.” It’s a fun run to read, and I would highly recommend it!

NONVIABLE POKEMON: WHITE 2 CHALLENGE MODE EDITION by @Squiggy Azalea looked at all the worst Pokemon in the game (As decided by Nuzlocke Viability Rankings), gathered them all up, and put them to WORK. The result is a team full of funky friends, and a run that’s delightful to read. Perhaps my favorite part is the fact that Squiggy is giving the Unovan minigames, like the entralink, some much-needed love.

Fossil Fighters, but it’s a Nuzlocke by me asks a question, just as many of these other screenshot runs have: Can you Nuzlocke Fossil Fighters? I just wrapped up this run earlier this month, and it was a delightful ride from start to finish. If you like dinosaurs and children’s games featuring dinosaurs, I couldn’t recommend it enough!

Okay yeah so I only read one of these this year. It was a good one though!!!

Nothing to See Here by @crashcrashcrash pairs a fun ruleset concept with a story that complements it perfectly. Queeje is determined to be the first blind champion of the Galar region, and he won’t stop at anything to make sure it happens. At his side is Twitch, our slightly glitchy and also very delightful narrator, who’s tasked with guiding Queeje through the region in one piece. The two of them have a fun dynamic, and the other Pokemon found on the team are similarly delightful to watch grow. Perhaps the most unique aspect of this run is that “deaths” don’t happen in the traditional sense; Pokemon may leave the team or go missing, but they never die in story. This helps maintain the lighthearted tone of the run, and it’s also surprisingly heartwrenching to see the aftermath of Pokemon who can’t take part in battles anymore.

The World Torn Asunder by myself and @novamallow is a randomized Soul Link of Black and White. It follows a world that’s been split in two, each new world a representation of our gameplay. Amelia and Bailey, best friends who may have accidentally caused the split (it’s complicated), are now in separate worlds and just want to reunite. They’ll do anything to achieve this–including discovering the mysteries of the torn world themselves. It’s a relatively short run and is currently finished all the way through Black and White (With BW2 on the way!) so now’s a great time to give it a read! There are also pretty pictures.

Last edited:

LintuLady

Just a dork who draws
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 11, 2021
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
She/They
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
This artistic Pokemon is from up in the North. Loves writing, drawing and all sorts of fantasy. Easily motivated by snacks
First ever Extravaganza!! Here we go!!!

Undertow by the lovely @Riboo

The art is fantastic, story changes are amazing and protagonist team is beyond fun. I adore Undertow to bits since it's what really pushed me to start thinking about making my own comic! But beyond my personal love I just adore the idea of a team skull lead and all the changes it brings, Kai's chaotic ass is just a pure joy to witness. Also I have a special place in my heart for anything alola

Finding Balance by the lovely @ima

The art is GORGEOUS. I cannot stress enough how I love the style. I also love the added story bits and the dynamic and friendship between Precious and Pearl, those two have my heart. There is such fun buildup already going on so I am extremely excited to see what the future brings for this beautiful comic

What The Water Gave Me by the lovely @effsnares

The art style never fails to take my breath away, the environments and characters all just look so damn good that it's hard to even put tot words! The switching between monochrome and colored adds such fun contrast to scenes and colored scenes always make me excited cause they are extra gorgeous. So far the all pokemon and gold are so fun, especially the pokemon designs, I adore them all but floppy ear mareep has my heart. But the setup for Gold is also so very interesting and I can't wait to see more

Sunlocke by the lovely @TheTRUEgge

The simple art style is beyond charming and adorable but honestly it's the that pokemon really shine here. There are so many wonderful pokemon on the main team and I adore them all, they're all written so differently and well that it's almost impossible to pick a favorite! I adore them all so so so much. Also I feel like Ann's grown through the story and the stories going on with her are also so fun

Autumn In Sinnoh by the lovely @Nessi

Man where do I even start. The whole premise of this is so interesting! Since the starter IS the protagonist!!! The story pulls a total PMD with Autumn (poor girl though)!! And so far the art has been so fun, I adore the style since it just has this very cozy vibe to it. The pokemon designs have been so cute and all the interactions are just so fun and full of charm! There is so much lore setup already and I cannot wait to see where the story goes from here

Step By Step by the lovely @Tailsimp

The style looks straight out of some cute cartoon and I adore that vibe. The dynamics going on are so fun and I adore Alma and Cyndi, Alma is such a dork and I love her for it. There is some really fun set up going on which I love also. Kim and Clover are also so very precious (don't even get me started on chickpea and my love for that little pear)

A Fateful Nuzlocke Challenge by the lovely @ponibutts

I adore the style. Everyone is so expressive and I love it. Amorette is a sweetheart, she has my heart, precious cabbage baby. Ollie's own setup is so interesting, gotta love protag's who don't wanna go on a journey but end up doing so anyway!! Ollie's relationship with his team is really fun thus far and I can't wait to see where this story goes!

Eclipsed by me and my grubby little hands

So last but not least I want to mention my own passion project! I recently finished chapter 1 and can now say I am very proud of how expressive I made the first chapter and every little lore change I made. Eclipsed is basically just "Ultra Sun but the Tapu are actually important!" and with that base it's been really fun to write. Delilah and Coconut have my heart, I adore them with all I have <3

Gecko

Pure of heart, dumb of ass
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
he/she/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
An awkward lil reptile who is just trying her best.
A Knight’s Gale by @FoxRodDraws is a Shield Wonderlocke that is still in its early stages, but already has a very intriguing opening that makes me very curious to see how Raiyah’s journey pans out. The art style and character designs are absolutely delightful, and we’ve already seen a lot of great character dynamics. Plus, the starter is a KICKASS lizard so you can’t go wrong there!

Broken Sword by @Dirtwig-Draws is a Sword Nuzlocke following Moira Gladstone, a crass Scottish gal that has hilarious dynamics with the rest of the cast due to her aggressive, piss-off attitude and her disinterest in challenging the League in the first place. But the unexpected hero is one of the fun parts of this comic, combined with great character relationships and some intriguing plot points that hint at something much greater going on in the background of it all. I’m quite excited to see where this comic goes as it progresses!

A Fateful Nuzlocke Challenge by @ponibutts is a LeafGreen Nuzlocke following Ollie and his best friend/Pokémon brother, Stormy the Pikachu. The relationship between these two is one of my favorite parts of the comic so far, as they have strong sibling energy, giving each other shit and bickering a lot while also clearly having a very strong bond and looking out for each other. The other characters we’ve met so far are also really great! The art is wonderful and I enjoy the serious tone that foreshadows much heavier moments to come.

Leftovers by @Pcaara is a Pokémon comic set in Hoenn that follows the journey of Asadi, a delightful, anxious, precious protagonist and her unbelievably cute starter, Sammy the Mudkip. This comic is packed with joy and fun. The art is super cute and full of life, especially in the vibrant settings it portrays. The characters are all really fun to read and watch interact with each other, and there are interesting inter-team conflicts that the gang has to resolve. If you want some good ol’ fun and feels in the Pokémon universe, this is the comic for you!

The Nateventure by @NOOLMAN is a great comedic Emerald Nuzcomic about a lovable Mudkip named Nate who’s going on a Nateventure! I love the highly cartoon-y art style and all the physical comedy it lends itself to. The whole thing is stuffed with wacky antics and wackier characters, and we’re still at the beginning. This comic is always a good time and I know I’m in for some fun with every update!

What the Water Gave Me by @effsnares is an absolutely gorgeous SoulSilver Nuzlocke comic that really shines in its artwork and Pokémon designs (I will never get over the Chikorita design. It’s so good.) Every page is a delight to look at, and the whole experience of reading it is just very pleasant. The author is taking great care to establish the characters and world before the journey gets rolling, so I have high hopes for what lies ahead!

Dear Sergio by @feraligatr is a Shield Nuzlocke that has a compelling protagonist that I’m already invested in and want to see succeed. Sergio is hesitant to begin his Pokémon journey, but we slowly learn why that is and what hesitations he still has, which makes it all the more satisfying to see him come to terms with venturing out. Though his journey is just starting, the pre-establishment of the characters and some foreshadowing of dark happenings in the world gives a really solid foundation for what will be a fantastic story to come! Oh, and there’s a lizard starter. Again, always a plus :)

Autumn in Sinnoh by @Nessi is a very sweet Platinum Nuzlocke about a girl named Autumn who gets transformed into a Turtwig and is looking for a way back to the human world. The art is cute and fun, and the characters even more so. The comic has many feel-good moments with heartwarming character interactions, but it will also yank on your heartstrings along the way too. This comic is the perfect blend of humor, heartbreak, levity, and friendship.

And finally, Soul Brothers, which is my SoulSilver Nuzlocke comic, follows brothers Corey and Ty on their journey to fulfill their collective childhood dream of becoming Champions together. As the journey becomes more perilous, the tone of the story also shifts from lighthearted, wholesome fun in the earlier chapters to a more intense and serious emotional journey for the characters involved. Though the comic is 3.5 years old now, it wasn't on the forums until this year, so I'm very honored to be able to join the ganza event and promo/vote for awesome comics here!

Last edited:

SysterSyn

The almighty dingo, provider of juice.
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 18, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
It possesses only one singular braincell, which it uses to bully fictional characters and write comics about it..
It's gone midnight and I will be here all year so I'll limit myself to three this time, but please check out everyone else's recommendations in here, I'm seconding them all, everyone is so amazing and talented wow <3

-----------

By @TwistedEerie
Dingo yelling obsessively about Penumbra at any given opportunity? It's more likely than you think! A perfect blend of humour and deep intriguing plot, and stunning art and composition to ice the cake, this delicious comic deserves pride of place on every one's plate. (This is a threat)

-----------

By @mizar
Although currently in hiatus, Rainbow Tour brings not only sweet and juicy road trip vibes to the table, it also comes packaged with immersive worldbuilding and beautiful art that makes this one a treat you don't want to be missing out on! (This is also a threat)

-----------

@jadethestone
Liberty is an old and delightful classic, with a gripping story and lovable cast. It's not updated in a while, but it's now making it's return, meaning there's no better time to jump on board! (This is also also a threat)

Last edited:

ima

Finding Balance
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 30, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
  3. Psychic

Hello, my name is ima! I have many comics I want to promote so I want to get straight to it! I do want to quickly break down the promotion though! It's going to go from the banner of their comic, link to the thread, a quote that resonated with me, the official summary of the comic (if there is one), and why I enjoy the comic!! Thank you so much for this opportunity <3 I'm very excited to promo every single one <33

"That... that was horrible... and all for a damn microwave meal... but I can't allow myself to go back to that
dark place... not like last time.. it's okay Asadi.. pick up the pieces. You have to move on..!"​
19 y.o Asadi spontaneously sets off on a transformative journey across Hoenn - meeting new faces, seeing new
places, and struggling to balance the responsibilities of a pokemon trainer with those of impeding adulthood
and the baggage of the past...​

There are many things that I enjoy about this comic, but what stands out to me is how the comic doesn't shy away from tense, very intimate, and sometimes awkward moments that the characters go through. It also realistically portrays mental disorders (such as anxiety from Asadi) and doesn't classify it as being a bad thing or a good thing - it's allowed to just be.
It's a very grounded reading that breathes life and passion. It feels like we are watching a regular person go through
the motions in the pokemon world. The story even begins with Asadi working at a Pokemart!
The characters that aren't Asadi feel just as real and people that you could genuinely meet down the street.
To portray the normalcy of life into something beautiful is a gentle reminder that your life is just as romantic.
Also, the art journey is very inspiring and plain amazing.​

"... You think they'll be okay?"
"Hmm?"
"My plants. The ones in my room,"
"I'm sure they'll be fine. Miss Thea will be taking good care of them,"​
This is a comic about healing and letting go.​

I can't explain why this quote resonated with me when I first read it without spoiling too much. I will say that it portrays Twyla's kind, thoughtful nature in a small dialogue exchange even after visiting a dark moment. It shows that despite her own struggles that she can't help but think of others as well (even if they're plants).
This comic also explores mental illness and trauma and can sometimes artistically portray moments so well that they can be difficult to read at times.
The use of space and composition is so strong that you will find yourself scrolling up and down to fully appreciate the art. You will also adore the banter between everyone, you can feel the love through the pages.​

"Oh? I'll finally be able to meet my brother's elusive best friend, then?"​
Victoria "Ricki" Foster has nursed a fondness for Ground-type Pokémon since she was a child, with only her Sandshrew
Ruby and her closest friend Hop to keep her company during her mother's long absences. Now, Hop is getting ready to
take on the Gym Challenge and chase his wish of supplanting his brother as Champion, and Ricki doesn't want to be
left behind. She has a wish of her own: to build the perfect Ground-type team, and show the world what her Pokémon
are truly capable of.
Unfortunately for the two Postwick teenagers, there's a lot more standing in their way than just Leon, and they've
caught the attention of Galar's most powerful beings... along with its most dangerous.​

Maybe it's just me. But when I see anything with Hop in it my eyes ZOOM and when I see that the comic has two trainers traveling together my eyes break the sound barrier. Character dynamics are something that I adore, so reading a comic that does not shy away from two trainers adventuring together makes my heart full. It has me screaming every single time without fail (please don't read my comments). Not only is the art amazing, but by just reading the dialogue you can get the sense of history between characters that feel real and natural.
Also, that prologue will pull you in so fast that it's terrifying how quickly it got me hooked. It's still in the early stages of the comic, but you can tell that the story that will be told is going to be something you wanna stick around for.

"Name's Momo, I'm one of Professor Birche's assistants,"​
Momo is a 16 years old girl who studies hard to become a certified trainer.
This summer, she'll embark in her first official internship, under Professor's Birch's guide.
Follow her as she tries her best to balance school work, adolescence, her Pokémon and evil organizations!​

The art is stunning, it is so beautiful and I feel whisked away into a magical world (which like duh pokemon) but still!! The colors are vibrant and have such a joyous feeling that you can't help but feel happy when reading it. It's still early in the comic, but the premise that this comic has is so strong that it makes me excited about how the concept will be further explored in the story.
The worlding building is done swiftly and efficiently that it leaves you aching to learn more about this version of Hoenn. Momo also is such a sweet girl too, she's so kind and patient with the pokemon and always greets them with a smile. I'm already in love with all the cast which speaks to how gosh darn cute this comic is. Then you realize it's a nuzlocke. Then that's when you go "oh no".
So if you want to join me in crying that will most likely happen - please do.

"Well, when WILL I be ready?"
"When you stop acting like a child,"
"What the heck?! Do you expect me to stay in this house forever?"​
With being the daughter of Alola's most well known couple, the Champion and Co-Founder of Aether Paradise, Raiyah is
now excited to finally start her very own Pokemon Journey and follow in her parents footsteps.
What new friends will she encounter? What secrets will she unveil about not only the Galar region, but about herself
as well?​

This comic is not only visually engaging but has so many mysteries that it leaves you scanning your eyes over the panels again and again. The relationship between Raiyah and her parents feels so true to a lot of kids, with them being loving and supporting, but also can get frustrated and yell at their child that doesn't feel abusive. Walking away from the comic you get the sense of complexity between relationships. This also brings me to one of my favorite dynamics - rivals.
I have a thing for two trainers who clearly adore each other's time and company, okay? And it's Hop! Double win!
Even though the focus is not on the dynamic between Raiyah and Hop at the current moment, it does well to portray their friendship and close those two have. Unlike other friendships, they don't shy away from being affectionate with one another which gives it a whole new depth of likeability to their characters. I am most excited to see how they bring out each other's strengths and possible weaknesses. It is such an amazing read so far and I seriously cannot express how excited I am to see this story play out!

"... A little bird told me to get stronger, so I did,"​
Oleander is a 17 year old from Pallet Town. His pet Pikachu escapes yet again, and the professor insists he takes along
a starter Pokemon to help find Stormy. Ollie's simple fetch quest turns into much more than he bargained for.​

I love this comic!! The art is so beautiful, the themes are mature, and doesn't shy away from the possibilities of real-world consequences that I can't even mention without spoiling. The backgrounds are also nothing to be scoffed at, you can feel the atmosphere through the pages to the point I can almost imagine how the air feels.
The story starts off strong with so many things to be unraveled in time and leaves you with more and more questions! It's an engaging read that has you hanging off every piece of dialogue. I also cannot express enough how much I love the seriousness and how violent it could get. Not that anything explicit has happened (as of yet at least), but enough for you to fill in the blanks. There are so many different dynamics to explore in this comic that it leaves me at the edge of my seat to see what happens next and how relationships develop throughout the story.
Alsooo Ollie and Gary are cute.​

that's all I have for now <3 if there more runs I want to promote I will either edit this comment or upload a new one <33 thank you again!

aegagrusScholarship

Problems and Issues Haver
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 9, 2021
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
all of them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Dark
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon craves attention and recognition, but becomes an absolute mess if given either. Often seen starting multiple projects and finishing none.
oh man oh man oh man my first extravaganza!!!! honestly, when it comes to runs I read before I actually joined the forums, they're mostly finished runs. alas.
anyways, here's all the runs that I'm still following so far!! these aren't sorted at all. I really hope I didn't miss any, but if I did, I might update this list as it goes. anyways!! let's go.

...yeah I'm bad at putting things into words so don't mind me if some of these reviews sound nonsensical

by @crashcrashcrash

honestly this is one of the most interesting rulesets I've seen so far and I really do love how the rules were written, in a very literal way, into the story. also twitch best rotom you can't change my mind.
also I really like how deaths were handled in the writing!! well, I mean. not exactly deaths. in-game deaths, at the very least. I dunno, I just like fun ways of interpreting nuzlocke rules, man.

by @Kit_The_Feef
Pain.
gonna be honest this is just super entertaining in general. I do like runs of hacks, actually; it's a great way to see what exactly is different between the hack and the game short of, you know, actually playing the hack myself! not to mention, the little PMD-style portraits are great. also kit sir how much did you die drawing them, because I know you did, because you were dying in nuzwriters' from drawing them.

by @Spectacles
The Monstrosity
yeah okay all I can ask is. Why Do You Do This To Yourself. that is all. that is. all. if you're looking for some schadenfreude, this is the run for you, because the ruleset is exactly as the title implies and hoo boy do we get to see all the dice rolls and sheer complications going on behind the scenes. oh wait, did I say ruleset in the singular? there are three rulesets being applied at once.
please read this, it is incredibly entertaining and highly concerning both at the same time.

The Hippocratic Oath
slightly less concerning (but still concerning) in terms of rulesets, but man, for a first storylocke this is incredible. I am invested in Comet's story, man. I hope he stops being a dingus but also he's trying his best don't be mean to him. also the amount of actual medical science being written here is super interesting!

by @DistortionLocke

I actually have no idea how I found this run, but I absolutely do not regret clicking on it. local guy gets yeeted into galar and turned into bede. shenanigans ensue. it's hilarious already and, without too many spoilers, seeing how the in-universe sw/sh differ from the games we get is actually incredibly intriguing! dunno, man, seeing this sort of subtle worldbuilding is always my favorite thing. get those b-points jaime, I believe in you.

by @Erberor
Banner_4.png

L A M P
doing a sololocke with dustox is. so impressive. and the sheer amount of strategy that goes into all these runs (and the explanation of the strategies, which is one of my favorite things to read) is just insane.
and this is the fourth run.
the moth shall reign supreme.

by @vizarding

updates have slowed a bit but still, this is such an impressive comic. I love the worldbuilding and the general vibe of it all! it's also such an interesting premise; the trainers are actually gods worshipped by the characters in the world. and that's just. I have never seen that interpretation before, and I am hooked. also the panel formatting has heavily inspired my own comics, actually! so that's another, more personal fun to it.

by @Empty Sun

taiyo runs around unova and murders things also there might be a plot. maybe. who knows.
okay but I love this sort of deadpan humour, probably because that's my own sense of humour, and the parts where the comic becomes possibly a bit more serious are intriguing no matter what the endgame of these moments is. also murder is hilarious good on you taiyo

by me

i forgot to promo my own run like a dingus
yeah this thing is a shitpost in terms of premise but then i put too much effort into it
you probably don't need to know madness combat (hopefully), i tried to write it so that you don't actually need prior knowledge
read my stuff thanks

Last edited:

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!!! But don´t forget to wear one
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
It's time to promote some runs

Across the Divide by @pkmnMasterWheeler This PMD-based comic it's a blast to read through, starring the best rodents you've ever seen.

Autumn in Sinnoh by @Nessi A comic about a girl turned into a Turtwig, who interacts with a ton of Pokémon filled with personallity and charm.
What really made me fall in love with the comic, aside from the great artstyle, are the characters; they are really great and engaging.

Blooming Glory by @Spacey The most wholesome Comic you'll ever read, nothing else to say.

Deadly Syns by @SysterSyn The stakes have never been higher in this iconic Leaf Green Comic. You should read it, like right now.

Finding your Roots by @Salt&PepperBunny Set in a PMD world, Finding Your Roots tells the story of a small Mudkip who is on a journey to save an egg, while exploring her identity as an Earthen. This comic is just amazing, the artstyle, the characters, the themes it discusses, everything.

Kurukoo! by @Kadew This run needs no introduction.

Soul Brothers by @GECKO A pretty chill comic about a couple of brothers aiming to become the champion.

Step by Step by Step by @Tailsimp A comic with a lovely artstyle, lovely characters, and a lovely story. Overall a lovely story.

Sunlocke by @TheTRUEgge With over 200+ Pages, this Sun Comic will take you for such an amazing ride.

Wanted by @YumeTsuki This Colosseum Nuzlocke really knows how to bring the grimdark aesthetic this game can truly offer.

All our Futures by @SayleeK A short but really engaging story. This one completely caught me off guard, specially with the ending.

Behold, A Pale Horse by @localhoney The classic story about the assasin set to kill the Sinnoh Gym Leaders is still as strong as ever.

Lost Month by @Leon Yorunaki A Pretty recent story here in the forums, but it offers quite a promising story with the drama regarding the main character's family.

The World Torn Asunder by @TheTRUEgge and @novamallow A BW Randomized Soulink Storylocke about two friends stuck on different worlds, and the chaos that ensues. This Storylocke had just finished, and it's fairly short, so I really recommend giving it a read.

Twelve Steps to Home by @llyarden A small Eevee is on a quest to reunite with a person very close to them. Another short Storylocke, but this one is just as engaging and promising as the last one. I really like this one, I can't recommend it enough.

Brilliant Luck (Or Not ~!): A Blind-ish Brilliant Diamond Nuzlocke Let's Play by @Tailsimp A hilarious Let's Play series starring one of the best personalities around. Great jokes, great editing, this is a run you don't want to miss.

Fossil Fighters, but it's a Nuzlocke by @TheTRUEgge Ever wanna see a Nuzlocke of a non-pokémon game? How about a direct sequel to the already great Benji's Lucky Platinum Run. Well, this run is just that, and way ... way more.

Lyra's Let's Play Nuzlockes: Emerald Edition by @pkmnMasterWheeler The Let's Play of a generation. Come join this amazing series, filled with twists, turns, and a ton of memorable and hilarious moments.

Paper Bowser and the Thousand-Year Grind by @Bowser's Family Vacation If you thought Nuzlocking Pokémon HGSS wasn't difficult enough, imagine trying to nuzlocke it using one of the most complex rulesets ever, the Lorelocke. The writing is top notch, as you might expect from Bowser. Really fun time, can't recommend it enough.

Via Memory Lane V: A Sapphire Nostalgialocke by @SayleeK This user has been doing Screenshots Runs of every Pokémon Game in chronological order, with her current run taking place in Pokémon Sapphire. The run has been a blast to read through so far, and I really recommend it.

faerieconstellations

🌻🌻🌻
Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 14, 2021
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
she/ her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
first ganza aaa !!

will be updating this with more promotions soon ((and fan art of said promotions, perhaps ?? 👀)) but for now have these gems:

FINDING BALANCE by @ima

I absolutely cannot stress how much I absolutely adore this run—there’s so much to enjoy about Finding Balance, but, for brevity’s sake, here’s three points:

• the art. One of the first things I gravitated towards in this comic is ima’s art—it’s so vibrant! The backgrounds make it seem like Sinnoh is alive and real ((this portrayal of Jubilife is one of my favorites in a comic)); the characters are always so well-drawn; and lighting and color is used so well to set up ambiance—a beautiful comic, this one.
  • the characters. Oh, Precious and Pearl—they are such strong leads, and their interactions ((AKA “an immovable object and an unstoppable force collide, and then hilarity ensues”)) with each other just hksdjhfalga im love them, your honor
  • the story. Finding Balance is the story of Precious, and is, as such, intrinsically tied to her strength as a character and, let me just say, she is a strong character. She’s sheltered, and thus has so much growth she’s capable of; she also has a lot of struggles which she may decide to overcome, so the story of how exactly she does that is something to look forward to. The world outside her is also so vibrant—one thing I’m excited to see is the story of a certain professor’s lab assistant.
BROKEN SWORD by @Dirtwig-Draws

Funny funny funny funny funny funny funny – Broken Sword is absolutely hilarious, and that’s thanks so much to its protagonist: Moira. Remember the memes about the Scottish SwSh female protag? Broken Sword is that, given heart.

With comedies, it’s difficult exactly to explain why it’s funny ((the comedic timing in this comic?? *chef’s kiss*; the dialogue is so, so spot on; and the situations Moira and her ‘mons find themselves in can just be absolutely hilarious)), so really, you should just read this and see for yourself! But, as mentioned, Moira is given heart: there’s so much lurking underneath the veneer of comedy – a greater plot waiting to unfold fitting of the SwSh story, struggle, trauma—these glimpses into something darker humanizes this comic so much, and I am so excited to see how everything unfolds.

Also: the side characters have so much personality; i.e. Sonia is big sister we all need, but never had and Ne s s a ahsgdkhfkajfdg

THE ADVENTURES OF MUM! by @Ookum Spookums

On concept alone, it’s so strong and interesting: what happens if mom was the one who went on a journey, not you? What an absolute hook. It’s very funny—of course it is, you’re following a go-getter mom who’s ready to set the world on fire. But it also promises drama—again, of course it does, you’re following a mother who lost her child. Although currently on a hiatus, The Adventures of Mum! still deserves a peek. I’m really interested to see where this comic leads.

satanicswirlix

🌸 CHATOT 🌸
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
B̵͎͗e̶͊ͅh̶̩̒ì̸̪n̵̼͐d̸̥̚ ̷̀ͅy̷͎̓o̷͚̊u̶̗̕.̶̻̒
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
you'll NEVER know!!!
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Fire
  3. Grass
  4. Water
  5. Bug
  6. Dark
  7. Dragon
  8. Fairy
  9. Fighting
  10. Flying
  11. Ghost
  12. Ground
  13. Ice
  14. Normal
  15. Poison
  16. Psychic
  17. Rock
  18. Steel
  19. Cool
  20. Beautiful
  21. Cute
  22. Clever
  23. Tough
  24. ???
Pokédex Entry
So yeah, I'm an ass. And I'm also a goofball. And a wing nut. And a Knucklehead McSpazatron! But most of all, I'm... I'm... I'm... I'M A GOOFY GOOBER!
Shield Nuzlocke - Hestia's Pilgrimage by @AoiSora19S

SN-HP is probably the best nuzlocke I've ever read. The amount of raw emotion that, as the self-proclaimed Idiot Artist puts it, "crappily drawn panels" can invoke is simply awe-inspiring, and just goes to show that the writing is the most important part of a story. And man, the writing. It's so fresh! So funny! I've never seen anything like it. Give it a try if you're a fan of raunchy humour, because it's more than what meets the eye.

Kurukkoo! by @Kadew / Finding Balance by @ima

Kurukkoo and Finding Balance are two very cosy and nostalgic reads that have everything I want in a nuzlocke. Runs with two protagonists are always a delight! I'm grouping them together because I have similar thoughts for them, but they're both very unique. Read Kurukkoo for shenanigans about kids and birds, read Finding Balance for Pokéspe-inspired shenanigans about Pearl and Precious. Read both now, or else. Do it. Now. Seriously. I'm not taking no for an answer. This isn't a request. It's a threat. I have a balloon. I'll pop it. The timer's about to go off. Seriously. You have 10 seconds to click those links before I ██████

Sinners of Sinnoh by …me.

Sinners of Sinnoh is an animated nuzlocke that still isn't out yet (but will totally be out soon trust me) which doubly excludes it from the Extravaganza! Ain't that neat? It's also a musical- the basic premise can be understood thanks to its very own expository theme song:

Vivian's a lonely chick who lives in Twinleaf Town,
Her only friend was Barry who would always put her down.

Until one day
She met her starter who had spliced up DNA,
They destroyed the lab
During a battle now they both have to repay,

So she'll...

Train a team,
Fight the gyms,
Meet some girls with giant tits!
Work with Lucas,
And his stalker,
Watch out for those deadly crits!

Do some research,
Have it stolen,
Stop a cult along the way!
Pull a nerve,
Pay a fine,
Fight her rivals, they ain't gay!

Sinners of Sinnoh!

Winterspheonix

Comic Secret Hoarder
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Flying
  2. Ice
Oh gosh its Ganza time again! Alright let's see if I can't put any new runs on this list. I'm gonna limit myself to 3!

Simple by @sealclown

Geuninely a really cute run with a fun monolocke rule. It's about a trainer who is trying to beat all of the gyms before summer vacation is over! Isn't that just a cute, calm and simple idea! The art is wonderful and the main protagonist is a really sweet, down to earth, and real person. Genuinely a soft and fun read!
-----------------------------------------

Pokemon Royal by @TheLastUnicornInOz

This comic has vibrant colours and a very fun protagonist that isn't usually seen around. It talks about struggles most comics in nuzlockes never speak about, and focuses around the concept of pushing past what people think you can do and doing what you know you can do! A very fun and inspiring read!
--------------------------------

Atychiphobia by @Sarbear
I. Love. Atychiphobia. Like, a lot. Firs,t good art. Second, a very rare situation where there are two protagonists rather than one. And third, Its HONESTLY interesting. You get the feeling these two protagonists have histories and lives and flaws right out the gate, making them feel like real people. It also had a nice fun balance of both light hearted and serious moments which are expertly done. Honestly, please read it's so well down and deserves more attention than it gets.
--------------------------------

Severance by... me
I'll be brief with this one as this is a self posting of my own comic (and simply the fact explaining this comic is very hard to do without spoilers). Essentially, Tala is in a rough place and life isn't going amazing. Her friends decide to take her out of town to remind her about the good times..... and things happen from there. Take a look if you'd like!~

Last edited:

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
Time for some pro mos, no amateur mos permitted here

Storylockes

Darkest Day by @bhelryss : I am here for how fairy tales might be real and really fucked up, I am here for extremely chaotic teenage shenanigans, I am here for lore presented in the form of snippets of in-universe books, news reports, and I am super here for Real Big Dogs that are pretty spooky but also maybe your friend???

Amber Eyes In Neon by @llyarden : Okay, let's call it, llyarden is the most masterful crafter of intricately-built words on the forums, and his skills are on FULL display in this walled city version of Galar, where two very different people find themselves suddenly able to speak to Pokemon. There are class politics, eldritch abominations, and a deep, detailed world to plunge into and explore.

Twelve Steps To Home by @llyarden : Come one, come all, witness the same mastery of the craft applied to a purposefully short, heavily character-focused story! I am honestly saving this one to binge-read once it's fully posted but I did read the first few installments and they're so interesting. From the very first chapter and the framework of the Eevee telling his story to an unknown other, I have been theorizing about what's really happening and I already know I'm gonna cry

Showstoppers by @llyarden : Just gonna round out the trilogy of Excellent Llyarden Fic 2021 with this super fun gijinka concept, wherein the Kalos League is an American-Warrior style gameshow that's heavy on the performativity. It's flashy, it's fabulous, it stars lesbians with murky and mysterious backstories, what's not to love?

A Trace of Magic: Seeing Red by @Trollkitten : This is such a wild dual-run concept, starting out with Gary (of FireRed) and Trace (of Let's Go Eevee!) as a pair of juvenile livestreamers who accidentally join Team Rocket and it keeps getting wilder from there. I love these boys and am also incredibly concerned for them.

The Dark We Carry by @Dee : I don't need to sell this to you, you already know that this is one of the best nuzfics ever written, but 2021 is the year I finally read it and drowned in how good it is. It's reaching its epic conclusion now, so if you haven't read it yet, get on board now!

Colossus by @Garish Garchomp : Another Galar run! But this one following one of the most enjoyable gangs of assholes in the game. They're just here to kick ass and swear on live TV and they're getting sucked into politics and it sucks, but at least there are headstrong teenagers to accidentally adopt!

Come Hell Or High Water by @Whozawhatcha : Guys I love this run SO MUCH. Tamaya is such an excellent protagonist, having already fought in a war and had a whole story happen to her, and now this story is about her healing and recovery... while more Protagonist Bullshit is happening to her. Whoza takes the Alola plot in SUCH interesting directions, and has such wonderful takes on characters like Hau, Looker, Plumeria and Guzma.

Behold! A Pale Horse by @localhoney : Wanna see a guy really kill it at the Sinnoh League! And by "kill it" I mean assassinate all the gym leaders, who then subsequently receive personal oneshots that deeply humanize and completely recontextualize the people who you just read about being brutally murdered? Shit's excellent, guys

Three's A Crown by @Missy : It's been a few months since this last updated, but I still think of the triplet protagonists of this run on the regular, along with the Victorian Canada-inspired Sinnoh that they inhabit and compete in. Estelle, Gwen and Minty all have such distinct voices and such unique paths through their intertwined stories, and I hope to see it return again soon.

Dandelion by @Aurea : A melancholic and loving little Galar run about Sonia, contrasting her own time as a trainer against where she is at the time of the game plots. I've reread this a couple times because each part is snacky in length yet so filling in terms of lush detail and beautiful prose.

Impulse by @Aurea : Aurea brings just as much talent in creating emotion and atmosphere to the much longer Impulse, which is another longfic I finally binged this year and enjoyed the hell out of. Nat's journey is long and measured, but watching her transform is so, so wonderful and inspiring.

Trainer-Watching by @Flop disc : I dearly love lesbians who are both assholes but in interestingly different ways. Moon in particular is a great protagonist, with her individual relationships with Lillie, Hau and her mother all being so juicy and delightful to read.

Wow this got long just picking out storylockes, I'm gonna have to come back another day to post about great comics and screenshot runs!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"

Run Title: Little Lapses
Creator: @Zero and @Salt&PepperBunny
Medium: Comic / OA​
What's better than a new comic by a seasoned artist? A new comic by two seasoned artists! Having already proven their ability to tell stories about vulnerability from the point of view of child characters (Jet struggling to trust authorities and Cedar grappling with the widespread impact of racism, respectively), Little Lapses moves out of the inherently-vulnerable setting of the nuzlocke and into the more intimate space of children trying to clarify their place in their families: both with their parents and within the structure of their found family.
Zero said:

What is bothering our main protagonist? The mom(s) know, but we don't, and, without the infrastructure of gameplay to base the narrative off of, the story can go anywhere! I, for one, can't wait to see how these girls take on the task of having the best day ever!

Clg6zYz.png

Run Title: Fossil Fighters, but it's a Nuzlocke
Creator: @TheTRUEgge
Medium: SSWL / OA​
A freshly-completed run, Fossil Fighters, but it's a Nuzlocke casts a spotlight on one of the many monster-collecting franchises that have since gone extinct (🥁 ): Fossil Fighters! What is Fossil Fighters, you ask? It's a game when you dig up dinosaur fossils and then have your dinosaurs fight each other. Why yes, it is scientifically the most cool thing in the world. But Fossil Fighters is more than just dinosaurs.

It's puns.
TheTRUEgge said:

It's built-in battle commentary.
TheTRUEgge said:

It's dancing.
TheTRUEgge said:

It's aliens. 👽 How are there aliens? There's only one way to find out. ☝️

There is no banner for this run yet, so enjoy this fanart by @ACottontail !
Run Title: The Hippocratic Oath
Creator: @Spectacles
Medium: Storylocke​
Long-time ruleset and SSWL maker Spectacles makes her first foray into storylockes with The Hippocratic Oath, combining her doc-locke ruleset, her Super Naturelocke ruleset, and her real-life experience in the medical profession in a story about one young man's quest for redemption. And money. Healthcare is expensive.
Spectacles said:
Whether the professor understood the Pikachu’s plea or not, he gave no inclination. Instead, he gave Comet a level look and said, “He belonged to the previous clinician of the Viridian City Pokemon Center.”

Comet’s jaw clacked shut. Oh.

Pikachu’s glare deepened, sparks still raining from his cheeks. “And I would have belonged to her still had it not been for you, kid. Don’t think I’m not aware of that.”
Indeed, no one—neither most of the Pokemon nor our protagonist, Comet, himself—is happy about the current circumstance.
Spectacles said:
“Your enthusiasm is… a tad overwhelming. You said it yourself that this would be an easy win.”

Pulling the mouse up to eye level, Comet fixed him with an intense stare. “Dude, I was just blowing hot air. I was afraid you would throw a stroke or something before you made the first move. Never in a million years did I think you could pull that off. DAMN we are GOOD!”
But even though the circumstance doesn't change, the emotions surrounding it do.

Last and certainly not least, my new project for 2021! You see, it all started when Bowser got interested in the lorelocke ruleset and thought Johto, the region in Pokemon that seems to be the most “old-fashioned” or in-tune with its legends, would be an appropriate setting…

It turned into this.
ixJy7bTK_o.png

Why, yes, I am committing to this ~overly fancy~ font. Unless it’s too hard to read, in which case my commitment will waver.
What a glow-up. 🤩

In all seriousness, Paper Bowser and the Thousand-Year Grind is an SSWL that combines humorous commentary, (hopefully) humorous Photoshop edits, and the definitely humorous ramblings of someone flailing about a mythical beast of a ruleset.
8Ilwbb21dy1Yt-Ckurs-zMohDydvRGr1ouEMDooh8U1-lxNjWPh0fNFW6H6UIScTVltNP_9euxXZ1YKglLmVm9j32kGLicOB7q48T4EJaZBe2OXZpcDXG1Pgi7eVjZRAU0hsl4s=s0

FIebOzbF80FbH5TDft7ZsjtxGvlsi73Mxj2zCvtqncC3yB61ialDYxeg0csTT_G3qjwqo06bWxPKiPxFVds1OGpkV_jHheLUndZGJ4p_wZVQ84K3nQIuQV9Ploj5__RDW4hSMPU=s0

Well, what are the odds ANOTHER one of my Pokemon will get poisoned on the switch-in?

Turn 10: Cragley VS Koffing
Smog!
🤢

hJOaZ1UQBrnv9YPILTzJY-4TIS0xyDNMx9dqbx2ju-_dZLsLnbKbD1oewDtVIbBRlKYmaGMvrpqq07Ga3WsgvM00YOFRjm1TN6STjAIpUQ1jApUVHELgc-z2ioyDxCHzV6FeYYQ=s0

Last edited:

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Unlimited Promos= UNLIMITED POWER!!!
Note: There were too many good comics, so I tried to promo ones that hadn't been promo'd before. (I probably made mistakes, though.)
Bright Souls by @SnackyTheSylph
Have you ever gotten bored and decided to steal a starter from Professor Elm? Because that's what Amelia did! Enjoy the shenanigans of Amelia and co as they travel through the Johto region and gain a mysterious blessing...

The Ballad of Brett by @RandomTrainer
I like the blue greyscale this comic has, gives it that real Gen 1 feel to it. Also, this comic's redesigns slap. Join Brett in his journey across Kanto!

Shiro's Quest by @ShiroInu
Shiro's back, this time in Hoenn! With Atlantis the Mudkip by her side, will she be able to beat the Hoenn league and Magma/Aqua? And what has Mewtwo planned for her?

Burn Away by @snooze
I'll admit it: I read this comic on my birthday and it made me cry. Beautiful art, powerful storytelling, this comic is wonderful and if you haven't read it yet, you should.

Alloyed Chains: Flower by @mike-princeofstars
This one's only recently started, but I've been enjoying it so far! I like the cutesy art style, and the secret of thr flower necklace intrigues me. Give it a read!

Sona-Locke by @Snow Studios
I like this comic's redesigns, seems wholesome so far. Very fun character expressions, too. This follows the story of Archie, as they set out on a journey around Unova for their 15th birthday!

The Fire Within by @SnowyUmbreon
This one's also great. The art has improved a lot and there are a lot of colourful characters on Lysander's team. He runs away from home, to avoid battles, then battles anyway, as Kanto is kinda dangerous.

Lakour's X Nuzlocke by @Waweezer
One word. Tailsbro. This comic has made me laugh on several occasions, it's ridiculous, it's fun, I love it.

Questionable Influence by @ACottontail
Have you ever wanted to find out what would happen if Smash Bros characters were able to travel to other games, as they originally cmae from their own? Join Corrin, the (possibly adopted?) daughter of Bowser as she commits crimes throughout the Galar region!

The NateVenture by @NOOLMAN
FYI the protagonist is not our human trainer, Eddy. No, the real protagonist is... Nate the Mudkip, a loveable moron! This comic is full of wacky humour and over the top expressions, I love it.

Emerald Run by @incomescrane
This comic has absolutely gorgeous manga-style art and I think it's neat. This is the journey of Booker, a man in his late 20s dealing with ominous dreams and the like.

When Little Emma Ran Away by @Neowth
Another comic full of zany humour and fun characters with a neat artstyle and cool Pokemon designs! (It should be mentioned that Neo also has The Burning Sky, a more serious run with a Combusken protag. It's also good.)

Flame of Mystery by @Anike469
Another classic Kanto comic, with a funky Squirtle that I adore. (Tero). The region is under attack from Rocket, will Bertha be able to stop them and become the champion?

Road Map Not Included by @ashdrawsarts
Another Unova comic with Pokemon characters I adore. Also, Finley is trying their best as a trainer whilst dealing with many, many problems that occur on their journey, among other things.

Sweet ReLEAF by @khorale
The final comic on my gigantic promo list, Sweet ReLEAF follows the story of Leaf and her Bulbasaur, Nana, through Kanto. It's very sweet and wholesome and Leaf is a wonderful protag who cares a lot about Pokemon.

Into the Fire by @ashtrayscomics
Editing this one in because I actually got the time to read it yesterday! It's full of entertaining humour and cursed faces. Also, a mysterious Mew...
This is the story of Leaf and her grumpy Bulbasaur, Caesar, as they travel through Kanto on a quest to free Mew.
Note: Because of the tagging limit, I'll be promoting written and screenshot runs in a separate post.

Last edited:

Moon

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
Oh wow, uhhh I've got a lot in mind

Pouch Creatures Dark Difficult Version by @Empty Sun is very good. It follows Taiyo in the Unova region who teaches her baby snake how to become a ruthless killing machine. Also Team Plasma is there.

The World Turned Asunder by @TheTRUEgge and @novamallow. It is a very unique take on a Soul Link where Amelia and Bailey, best friends, accidentally cause the universe to split in half. They then proceed to try to put the universe back together. (oh and it's also in Unova)

Dust in the Wind 4 / 2 = 2 and That's How Many Moths I Have by @Erberor is a Dustox only nuzlocke of Pokemon XD.
...Except, every battle in the game is a double battle, so two moths are necessary.

Changeling Rival's Contingency Planning System by @DistortionLocke is a run of Galar where Jaime describes Pokemon Sword as a 'stupid fucking shitty-ass game', gets a chandelier dropped on him, and wakes up transported by the game into Galar as Bede.

Ashes of Glory, by @pikafan96, is a nuzlocke of Pokemon Reborn. It's the third installment of Pikafan's series that contains an overly optimistic dinosaur, a (possibly psychotic) trainer, and a multitude of other pokemon that all have little to no faith or trust in their trainer.
...Except Dusty, but shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

A Trace of Magic: Seeing Red by @Trollkitten is two datalockes of FireRed and Let's Go Eevee, respectively, where the protagonists (Trace and Blue) live in a world where pokemon (called monsters) have suddenly appeared, and a group known as Team Rocket are trying to take down the Monster Taming League.
Trace and Blue proceed to join Team Rocket.

Simple. by @sealclown is a normal type only nuzlocke of Pokemon Ruby. It stars Wuby.
And the art is so cute.
uh but Wuby is trying to do the pokemon league.
Simple.

Nothing To See Here by @crashcrashcrash is a blind nuzlocke of Pokemon Shield.
And I mean 'blind' literally.
It stars Queeje (who is blind) and a Rotom named Twitch. (who is Queeje's guide.)
Um. I can't actually think of anything else to say but it is very good and you should read it.

ugh i have too many in my head to type write now
maybe I'll do a second post later

You are allowed to promote your own run in here, so don't be shy to put your name forward and tell the world why your run is awesome!
Oh?

Orange's Adventures by yours truly is a Pokemon Black Lorelocke where the protagonist Orange and his literally immortal pig go out to be the Champion for no particular reason whatsoever. if you want an adventure full of pointless rules, omnipresent death, a myriad of references, and shameful, horrendous puns, then you're in the right place.
...Yeah, there are a lot of references, and I count about five that no one could tell was a reference.

Waweezer

Johto League Champion
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 22, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon is known to make weird comics at random, no one really knows why.
I'm horrible at descriptions, but there's a lot of nuzlockes I wanna talk about.

Pokemon Royal Nuzlocke by @TheLastUnicornInOz

it's artstyle is very unique and cute, and the characters are very nice as well!

THE NATEVENTURE by @NOOLMAN

very wacky and funny comic, with some really weird ideas.

Autumn in Sinnoh by @Nessi

it's sorta like mystery dungeon mixed in with the mainline games, very nice idea! the comic is also really good as well.

Level Platinum Nuzlocke by @Wastelander Nick

this comic really reminds me about the old nuzlockes back in the early 2010s, and I think that's what it was going for, very good comic!

Jet's Black Nuzlocke by @Zero

the artstyle, characters, story, there's a reason why this was nominated the best nuzlocke comic last year

Sunshine by @yepiz

A former grunt with a stolen rowlet. this comic is both very funny and has good story!

Sonalocke by @Snow Studios

even though it only has a couple of pages, it look's to be a great nuzlocke with it's art and characters!

pouch creatures dark difficult version by @Empty Sun

the ms paint quality and humor well together, and sometimes there parts with very detailed art.

Soul Brothers by @GECKO

The 2 main characters have very nice chemistry, and so does the entire team, this comic really does well with it's charcters!

this comic is so weird and I love it. the characters also very good and work off well each other.

Undertow by @Riboo

The main protagonist is fun to watch and the idea of following a team skull member doing the island challenge is very interesting.

WLERA by @Neowth

the art is very charming and the main protagonist is very fun to watch.

Tim's Very Ordinary Emerald Nuzlocke by @Numbuh296

This comic is very simplistic and it knows that, it's very relaxing to read and the art and formatting makes it fell like a saturday morning comic strip.

The Long Way 1 & 2 by @Alex_Nidas

this comic has really good characters, humor, and story. it's also amazing to see how much better the art get's throughout the series.

Judgement Has Come To You by @SaintsGarden

this comic has really good characters and world building, also the names are funny :)

And finally...

MY NUZLOCKE! @ME!

YES I HAVE THE BEST NUZLOCKE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But seriously, 2021 was a really good year for nuzlockes, glad I read all of these

Edit: I forgot one.

By The Sword by @SnakeEyesDraws

The worldbuilding in this nuzlocke is really good, as well as the pokemon redesigns.

Last edited:

Wastelander Nick

*banjo music ambience*
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 29, 2020
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
Pokédex Entry
It is found roaming the deserts, usually on a back of a Mudsdale. It loves gathering relics of the past.
happy new year, everyone! So, first time participating, first time promoting runs, first time rushing to finish a page to post before promoting... Some of the descriptions may be a bit vague. This is partly intentional as a spoiler-free guide and partly it's been a while since I read most of the runs. Some spoilers will be hidden, click them if you can handle the truth :P
Let's get started and hope I don't mix up the links

The Hippocratic Oath by @Spectacles
After reading GoT-ta Catch 'em All! and its monster of a ruleset, I started this story with TWO rulesets... little did I know about a Monstrosity that was ravaging nearby... An interesting take on nuzlocke runs with a rookie clinician protagonist on his road to atonement! Lots of new, original characters and reimagined old ones!
"Surrender..."

Liberty or Death by @ActiveTransport
A historical wedlocke during- no, let's rephrase it: #what_if Benjamin Franklin x Sinnoh history of independence?
The story of the indepence of the United States, retold in pokemon fashion. Gym leaders, rivals and Team Plasma admins become historical figures! Pokemon are named after States, which indirectly adds another rule about how many pokemon can be used. Also some rules reflect the era that the story takes place!

Unova after Dark by @AerialAce40
In a modern Unova, the old ways of joining the Sun or Moon clans have survived, despite fanatics from both clans fighting each other and terrorizing Unova. Jack, the son of a powerful Moon clan figure, begins his journey to prove that "dark is not evil" and keep an old man from freezing Unova. Ghost/Dark Dualocke set in Black2, which doubles as a political thriller!

Colossus by @Garish Garchomp
An anti-hero's tale - Taz, a short tempered punk, one day decided to take on the world League, after trying to become a drummer, and other more... recreational activities! Together with Marnie, they try to put Spikemuth back on the map! The story is a dictionary on british slang, too! An unholytrinitytypeLocke set in Galar!

The Knife Ridge Scrolls-A Historical Gold Giftlocke by @SayleeK
Another historical run, this time based on ancient Japan history and set in the appropriate region for japanese folklore - Johto. The story is told through e-mails between professor Reiton and Mortimer "Morty" Minaki about a mysterious character. nicknamed Ghost, and their role in unravelling historical mysteries. Awesome worldbuilding, which deviates from the Johto plotline early in-game!

Or more like "Smash Bros meets Mario Party meets pokemon Sword featuring Deltarune references" and some minor characters from the Mario games! One of the rare traditionally drawn nuzlockes which deviates from Sword's plot right from the beginning! Not to mention the protagonist's questionable morality :P ...or her origins!
Also, a newly added prologue show how much @ACottontail 's art has improved since the beginning!

By The Sword by @SnakeEyesDraws
Realistic pokemon, especially Stephan, who isn't just a wheel of a Rolycoly, nicely developed couples in the making and a funny deconstruction of the 8th gen, in short.
Spoiler-free highlights:
realistic evolution problems - massive weight gain and drastically lowered speed & accuracy
"The risk I took was calculated... but, oh boy, am I bad at math" XD

The Long Way by @Alex_Nidas
A lot of mundane comedy ("Hi, I'm here to-" "Next door, you idiot!"), scary characters (a gym leader in particular), questionable posters (Say YES to drugs), truly sad moments and... something at the end - no spoilers! ;)

Liberty by @jadethestone
Original characters as a new couple of protagonist and rival, with different goals than to take the League... A very cute Gastly, an even cuter Onix, Whitney getting what she deserves and a rival that earns our respect later on. Also, Will (the protagonist) could double as Marnie's equivalent, with her taste in gothic fashion!

S^3 by @Yuriakashu
In a Johto tortured by a continuous drought, a young kid leaves his dysfunctional family with a... fire starter (no regrets). The dystopic element gives its position later to more meta elements. The character grows, physically and mentally, through his adventures, especially in Goldenrod City.
highlight - Equinox, the reimagined Togetic

Pandemonium in Johto by @novamallow
It's always a joy to read randomized nuzlockes and how their creators struggle (or not) to explain the randomized element! Beware of the Gorebyss artillery and... Elder Lee from Sprout Tower. You'll never see him the same way again after reading this comic... ;)

Wanted! by @YumeTsuki
Α nuzlocke set in the wastelands of Orre, with a rogue ranger asking for trouble! A post-apocalyptic retelling of Pokemon Colosseum with loads of action sequences!

Golden Sun by @pkmnMasterWheeler
Follow Ash and his alolan company around the island challenge! The comic manages to incorporate smoothly the unbereably long cutscenes of the game, and we're also rewarded with long and detailed battles!

Lakour's X Nuzlocke by @Waweezer
Forgive me for I have sinned, but I admit I haven't read that one yet... However, it won a place in my list, after reading Avacado's Sword Nuzlocke (completed and including a Cinderace with cool blackglasses, a Barraskewda that carries the whole team, an obnoxious Bede... oh, and LOADS of guns!)

Soul Brothers by @GECKO
I have sinned again and this one is still on my list to be read... Make sure to read Skyward (completed, on DeviantArt) first, which is the independent prequel of Soul Brothers. You'll also notice the evolution of @GECKO 's art between those 2 comics!

Leftovers by @Pcaara
A pokemon epic! Yes, this isn't a usual nuzlocke. It follows multiple characters (I mean it, just see how many appear on the comic banner!) around Hoenn, and plotlines tangle together! Two specific moments I'd like to mention is something sinister lurking in Sea Mauville and Phoebe being a troll with black humour!

Jet's Black Nuzlocke by @Zero
A lot of side stories, character development of the villains too!, and an inspiration for me to add a character arc similar to a specific villain. Including also hilarious references and a grumpy Druddigon later on!

Dio's Bizarre Black 2 Nuzlocke by @sociopathicotter
An overload of memes, JoJo references, illegal activities and a gym leader that IS THE DANGER!

Autumn in Sinnoh by @Nessi
Palkia has some anger management issues and a poor girl is the victim... no, this sounds too serious #what_if: A human turned into a pokemon?? Can she return to her own world? Cosmic comedy moments at first and heartwarming ones later!

Sunshine by @yepiz (EDIT)
Here's a nuzlocke which I also have to check from the creator of ASRR (completed). In case you haven't read ASRR, go check it out, especially for that epilogue chapter!

Level Platinum Nuzlocke by not that guy with the straw hat and the banjo
The comic has started since early 2017, but I discovered the forums last year. It's traditionally drawn and expect a lot of older and newer memes, as well as too many and blatant references throughout the story. I was inspired from kitfox-crimson's, @Kylee nim 's nuzlockes, and recently from @Zero for a reason mentioned above (spoiler alert).
Some TV series, a movie series and an old anime keep providing ideas.
Special thanks to @Spectacles and @ACottontail, for keeping track with it and guessing possible outcomes!

I may return to edit this if I manage to read anything else until the 15th.

Last edited:

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
I took a short break, promos are hard.
Now with these written and screenshot runs, I'm certain these have been promo'd before, mostly. But unlike the comics, I don't have literally 50 of these, so I shall promo the ones that I personally liked a lot.

Colossus by @Garish Garchomp
Our protag, Taz, is an incredibly snarky Spikemuth lad and his narration is incredibly entertaining to read. He gives almost no shits. Also, I like the way the Pokemon's personalities are written, too. Such as Belter being an energetic and enthusiatic battler. All in-all, a good read.

An Arduous, Atoning and Amazing Adventure by @QuietGuardian
After our protag stole a few things in Elm's lab, he now has to do a research trip for Elm to make up for it. At least he's allowed to challenge the gyms, right? But there's a catch: He must rotate his team according to alphabetical order!

Somewhere In Unova by @aegagrusScholarship
Ah, Madness Combat, a Youtube series filled with extreme violence... It could never fit in with Pokemon, right? Except that's exactly what Screemurr has done in Somewhere in Unova. They've brought these characters to life in a Pokemon setting and somehow... It works. It works incredibly well. A highly entertaining read, great characterisation, violence, and, of course, Madness.

Changeling Rival Contingency Planning System by @DistortionLocke
Nobody would ever want to be Bede. He's one of the worst rivals and honestly a big stinker. So what do you do when you are isekai'd into Bede's life? A life where you must remain in character unless you want to die. How will Jaime cope with becoming his least favourite SwSh character?

Epiphany Fallen by @Dartwind
A Sword storylocke written entirely in free-verse poetry... It's very interesting to read due to its format and I've found myself enjoying it quite a lot.

Twelve Steps To Home by @llyarden
This one's only meant to be short (12 Chapters total planned). That doesn't make it any less of a story, though! When Ven's trainer goes missing, the Eevee opts to do the gym challenge himself in order to impress Trainer in the hopes of getting him back. Along that journey, he gains many allies, all of whom are full of personality and likeable. Please read this storylocke!

Ashes Of Glory by @pikafan96
Y'all ever nuzlocked a Drayano hack? Blind? On Set Mode? Join Pika on her journey through Blaze Black, where she slowly loses all semblance of sanity conquers the Unova region to spite Looker! Should be noted that this one is finished, but she's got another one started already: City Of Stars, which is honestly? Even more of a nightmare than Blaze Black. I mean, it's Reborn. 'Nuff said.

Via Memory Lane by @SayleeK
Join Saylee as she reminices the past through her Nostalgialocke series (Current run: Sapphire). Not only do we watch the gameplay, but we get to hear some entertaining anecdotes and stories, and I think I've learned a lot of interesting things through Saylee's ramblings. A good read if you want to be taken back to your childhood.

GBB's Sixlocke Series by @greenbeanbottle
Apparently, main series Pokemon games can be beaten with literally any team of six. Any. So what does GBB do? Randomly picks a team of six to beat the entire game with. And he's succeeded, too. (Recall the ending of the Crystal Leg.) The current Leg is Emerald, and whilst it's had a rough start, the team seems to be doing well now. Here's to hoping his mon's can kick Hoenn's ass!

Dust In The Wind 4÷2=2 And That’s How Many Moths I Have by @Erberor
What's better than one moth? Two Moths, of course. Can Pancake and Waffles beat the entirety of XD: Gale of Darkness? (The answer is yes. Obviously. Erb has already proven the power of MOTH.)

Anyways, that's all my promos done now, it's 12 30 AM here. I'm not promoting any of my runs here, but if any of you are curious, they're all in my signature!

Leon Yorunaki

I'll Spirit Shackle you!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
Considering I'm not really following comic or sswl runs at this moment, it wouldn't be much fair for me to nominate any (there must be a lot of great runs I'm not aware of). Instead, I'll focus on the great writing runs I've managed to read and got me attached.

· Nothing to See Here - @crashcrashcrash : You ever did a blind run? No, not that kind of blind. crash³ did something spectacular here, not particularly with gameplay (which is already unique on its own), but with the characterization. Queeje is a very nice protagonist, with some familiar drama despite the lightheartedness of the run, whose blind condition isn't that hindering because of his glitchy friend Twitch; the Rotom is surely the best partner Queeje could have asked for. The most interesting part of it, however, is how this is a deathless run. Even when the pokémon ends up fainting in battle, they don't die; instead, they go out of team for different reasons, and watching the drama that unfolds is a unique look at the nuzlocke rules. All I can say is go there and take your time reading, it'll be a blast!

· Somewhere in Unova - @aegagrusScholarship : Spectacles started the trend of Castlockes, but few have taken the courage to make it into a written run. Screemurr here took it by assault and said "why not?", and this masterpiece-in-progress was born. And this comes from me, who don't know anything from the cast source (Madness Combat), because it doesn't matter not knowing it when characters are so well developed and full of personality, neither when it follows so closely the Unova plot because of the unique implications of a run like this. You'll grow to love Deimos/Sanford action duo, Doc giving the good examples as a boss but never following them and Jeb's the best Patrat you'll ever see, yielding a sword thrice his size. I mean, if this isn't badass enough for you, I can't convince you further. Just go there and read it!

· An Arduous, Atoning, and Amazing Adventure - @QuietGuardian : Do you know how bad it is to do an Alphabetlocke (or, in this case, an ABC-locke, the harsher variation of it) in the worst grinding games (Johto)? Say no more, because Quiet decided to do just that, in those funny logs from Adam, a thief too nice for this world, who is forced into this mad ruleset as punishment for his deeds. And he even jokes at it, not knowing how painful it becomes at points. The highest point to me was Adam needing to perform a Heimlich maneuver to a panicking Spearow. Who, because of this bad ruleset and terrible RNG, is never making on the team again. Maybe this task makes him a better person than his usual Mr. Complains-a-lot sona. Keep your hopes up and go read it!

· I Can Break These Cuffs - @Uberle : If you're a fan of Gijinka runs, you'll feel at home. If you're not versed into those yet, be sure to give it a try, because Freak lives up to his namesake. In a world where everyone lives up to their species, our strange protagonist isn't bound to the rules, being able to change forms at will. And mega-evolve in due time. And metagame the hell of it for shits and giggles. No wonder he's in trial for a murder (and he supposedly didn't do that!). It's probably because no wants to deal with a freak like Freak. Shame on Elly, the Togekiss Gijinka bound to keep him under control as he goes to perform the Gym Challenge, hopefully without killing any contestants. Not so much on Fenice, the Shiny Moltres they managed to rescue and who seems to be the only person in this world who can cope with his weird humor. Believe me when I say this is a funny ride. Meme songs included.

· Twelve Steps to Home - @llyarden : I didn't think a tale this long could span so fast, as a holiday-themed run for Let's Go Eevee. Ven is a newfound-trainerless Eevee set on a journey trying to find this unnamed Trainer, and what's the best way to do so if not defeating the gyms on his own to gather attention to himself? He then is joined by Daisy, an autumnal Bellsprout running away from hunters. Word spreads fast and, soon enough, Ven's team becomes a continental sensation, a group strong enough to rock back the League and break into Team Rocket's operations soon enough. It's not made for you to cry (even though I almost did), because its lightheartedness will shine bright once they move on carving a sweet new path in Kanto. Totally worth your read.

· All our Futures - @SayleeK : Talking about seasonal runs, this one is not on the lighter side. This doesn't make the story less interesting, quite the opposite: she managed to condense a full run in about 5k words, which is already a feat on its own, but this giftlocke goes further into that, with how cutely it starts, and how we see the Arrangement through the eyes of the starter Fennekin, who is bound to evolve to see the future, acting as guidance for the human and finding the perfect mate, which would be the perfect happy ending we all wanted if it was the end of the story. Won't spoil the ending, but it fits the run perfectly and is pleasant to read. It's definitely the best finished work I've read StF in the whole of 2021. And you should, too!

· Changeling Rival's Contingency Planning System - @DistortionLocke : We all know isekai genre has been overdone to hell and back (most of the time, literally), so what's my susprise when I see something like this coming from such a competent writer? Jaime starts as a terrible character before his death, hating voicely the "worst pokémon game ever" only to find himself inside it. Having to live it through the eyes of the character he hated the most (Bede). While not going out-of-character. And trying to fix all the game mistakes from the inside. I seriously have to wish him good luck, because this will be one hell of a task (doesn't help I kind of side with Jaime's opinion, which makes me even more curious about it)

· Lost Month - @Leon Yorunaki : shameless plug of my own run (which is not the best of the list because I often save the best for the last). It's on its early stages and probably more suited for the next Ganza when it'll have more content, but the early stages will likely get you hooked as you follow a messed-up protagonist with daddy issues fighting against her mom (and primarily against herself) for the answers she was denied in the years prior. Having an unstable psychic as her starter isn't doing any favors and, when she settles on a journey without knowing how dangerous it can be, you can be sure it's going to make her break little by little.

· The Hippocratic Oath - @Spectacles : Told you I'd save the best for the last. All I can say is "don't get scared by this heavy ruleset" because it's that combination who makes this run so interesting. Comet is a seasoned trainer and a former member of a team of elite trainers doing the hard job of protecting the land. At some point, however, his personality traits kicked in and in a foolish act, he not only failed the mission, let the criminals escape, destroyed half of a city pokémon center, but also killed the former clinician for the city. As a sort of fixing it (which he sees as punishment), he's now forced to take his role, partnering with his old and damaged Pikachu by doing the hard work many trainers don't know about: dealing with the injured pokémon. There's no better summary than Specs' itself: "Comet must learn what it means to not only heal, but to be healed in return." There. Now give yourself some time and go read it, and you can punch me in the face if you don't like it (because I seriously doubt it'll happen)

Last edited:

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
Woohoo Ganza time! (This is my first one so I can only be excited secondhand, but that counts for something, right?) Anyway, I know a couple of these runs have been promoted already, but I'll say them again because they deserve it.

Finding Balance || A Pokemon Platinum Nuzlocke by @ima
This run is just as Precious as its main character, a real Pearl of a comic. The artwork is very clean and expressive, we get to hear from both Trainers and Pokemon, and it strikes a good balance (holy moly no pun intended) between serious and comedic.

Kurkkoo! by @Kadew
Bravery! Trainers are brave! If you hate birds then you are weak, your bloodline is weak, and you will not survive the winter you might want to stay away, but in all other respects this comic is incredible. It also just had an anniversary, so that's cool. Featuring best friends, realistic Pokemon textures, and a Charmander who can't decide if it's an angel or a demon.

Orange's Adventures - A Pokemon Black Lorelocke by @Moon
Ironically, words are simply insufficient to describe this written run. The story more or less follows Black but it has plenty of original moments, prompted by the main character apparently having access to the National Pokedex way too early. The author does a good job of explaining some of his plot points, while leaving others for you to figure out. You will tear your hair out trying to get all the references, though, so just sit back and let it wash over you.

Dust In the Wind 3: LÄÄÄÃÄÄÆÁÄĀÄÄMP - A solo Dustox run of Heart Gold by @Erberor
I think someone already mentioned the fourth run in this series, but I want to mention the third as well; they're all incredible. What, you expected multiple Pokemon? Why do you need any other Pokemon when you could have MOTH? Plenty of screenshots here of Dustox and Dustox's...trainer? Pet? Translator? Whatever you call that human who Dustox keeps around for fun. There's also one heck of a plot twist at the end which just about puts Moon's references to shame.

Ignoble Idolatry: A Scottish Shield Nuzlocke by @SayleeK
This is not the first SayleeK run to be promoted, nor will it be the last. I love this run not only for the writing and the story she develops, but also for the care and attention she puts into showing off Scottish culture. While it's not the heaviest or darkest thing on the forums by a long shot, it does a good job of tying in real-world considerations and dilemmas; this is the kind of thing that makes you feel like the world of Pokemon makes just as much sense as our own, if not more.

Via Memory Lane IV: A Crystal Nostalgialocke by @SayleeK
I wasn't kidding about promoting some SayleeK runs. The Memory Lane series is a wonderful, lighthearted screenshot journey through the older gens. At least for now--I suppose the plan is to make it all the way to the newer gens as well? Anyway, the Crystal run stuck out because of movies, arson, revenge, and a super-speedy blue mammalian creature. Gotta go fast, you know?

Unova After Dark - A Black 2 Storylocke by @AerialAce40
You could just as well call it Unova After Ghost, but I digress. Both a storylocke and a typelocke, this written run does a great job with worldbuilding while sticking faithfully to its theme. Some OOC moments and varying perspectives do a good job bringing the characters to life.

And I guess as long as I'm here, I might as well plug the two of my own three runs which haven't been mentioned so far. I won't argue they're on par with the things I've promoted above, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't check them out.

What Makes a World -- AT's Yellow Nuzlocke
My first-ever Pokemon challenge. I couldn't decide whether I wanted to roleplay or just document, so the writing ended up somewhere in the middle. Hey, all you ancient Greek people, it's not Rocket science...it's alchemy! Also, some jerk who still thinks the whole world is made up of air, water, earth, and fire. Pretty standard written Nuzlocke, although the ending was one hell of a ride if I do say so myself.

The Avengers Initiative -- AT's X Wonderlocke
The reason they call him Nick Fury is because the stuff you get on Wonder Trade nowadays could make anyone's blood boil. This run will make slightly less sense if you know nothing about the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but everything has some context. And trust me, you'll get plenty of exposure to all kinds of people for various reasons. On an unrelated note, this challenge gave me a serious case of vertigo. If you know any Sky Trainers, go punch them for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread