• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Extravaganza 2020 — Promos Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garish Garchomp

Friendly Neighborhood Landshark
Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
Oh, hello. I didn't see you there.

Welcome to the 2020 edition of the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Not just that, but it's actually the 10th anniversary of the Extravaganza, which is certifiably insane. it's my privilege to be running the Ganza this year, flanked by an expert crew of featurers, and I'm straight-up chomping at the bit to get this show on the road yet again! Because of the anniversary, and thanks in large part to the feedback of the community after last year's rendition, we'll be making a couple big changes this go-around, which I'll note as they become applicable. For now, though, let's get to the good stuff! happynuzyear.png

By popular demand, we've extended this promo period that kicks off the Extravaganza! Any runs that are updated any time in the year of 2020 are eligible for the 2020 Extravaganza. That means there's a whoooole lot of runs to shout out, and a whole lot of reading to do to forget the fiery hellscape that was the year that's just passed us by!

Here are the rules to keep in mind when you post, with changes from last year underlined like this:
  • Why yes, Billy, you can promo yourself! Of course, you should also do your best to spread the love. If you see a particular run is getting a lot of promos, shine the spotlight on someone else as well. Speaking as a creator myself, just a single glance from those bright lights can lift me through a whole day; you have the power to make some days through this!
  • The promos period has been extended, and will now run from January 1st to January 20th. There will be overlap between promos period and nominations, though, because nominations will be starting on January 15th again this year!
  • If you need a prompt to help you figure out what to promo or how to fill that last slot or two, take a cue from discussions in last year's reflective, and try to find the best hidden gems you think might need a little signal boosting ahead of the Ganza! Who knows how far that could go!
  • There is a size limit on each promotion:
    • Your overall promo post may only be 1500 characters, not including any snippets. Please only choose one kind of snippet! (Not including freebies. Freebies are freebies. As in, they're free. It's in the word and everything.)
    • Length limits for snippets include:
      • No more than 250 written words
      • No more than 1500 tall pixels of comic, altogether. Please have your images no wider than 800 pixels. (You can use the built in editor to resize your images as needed.)
      • No more than 4 screenshots with 10 line breaks, altogether. (But no more than 250 words)
      • No more than 30 seconds of video
      • A banner within the signature guidelines is a freebie!
      • Any amount of fanwork you've done for a run is a freebie! (but if you're opening a vault full of 'em, spoiler it please!)
    • You are now limited to 5 promotions in your post, up from 3! More time to promo and more slots to promo sounds like a pretty stellar combo to me. No bias.
    • Let people know you promo'd them! Tag them in the post! Post in their thread! Post on their wall! Share it in Discord!

Please also note that this is your window to opt out of participation in the Extravaganza. If you would like to opt out, please message a featurer so that we may place your name on the ineligibility list that'll be provided with this year's nomination ballot. We want you to feel comfortable with the event however possible! Participation in the Extravaganza is not mandatory, but we will need your decision in by the 13th of January so we may release an accurate nomination ballot on time.

That's that for this section! Hop over to the discussion thread with any questions or comments you might have, or to check out the full schedule for the Extravaganza this year. These next three(!) weeks are a time to catch up on runs, discover some you might have missed, shout out creators who delivered the goods this year, and just downright reflect! All that'll put you in a real comfy spot heading into nominations, giving you more of an idea of how to fill out your ballots.

We hope this tenth (10th!!!) anniversary of the Extravaganza hits different, in the best way possible! We'll be back with nominations on January the 15th. Happy Nuz Year, y'all!

Winterspheonix

Comic Secret Hoarder
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Flying
  2. Ice
de4ac77-4f654466-8cfb-42ea-bc72-aa8fc6f6f0c3.png

So I've been reading this comic recently and honestly it does an amazing job with its characters. From Lysander's build up as a character, and the team being willing to work together and stick together. On top of that there's a little spice of humor making it a really fun blend of both the old time nuzlocke era as well as the new nuzlocke era. A comic that knows when to take things seriously and when to have a laugh or two.

Okay this comic is cute with a capital C. Like for real. I'm usually not one for recommending really new comics but I gotta scream over this one. I just really enjoy the premise of it being this lil adventure that's literally built on the idea of summer vacation. I may not be summer now but I'm living for it. Also the interactions Wuby has with their teammates is HECKING CUTE and really touching. Also the fact its a normalocke is not something we see everyday! So yeah my recommendation!~

Another nuzlocke that really takes me back to allowing nuzlockes to have more humor in them! Autumn in Sinnoh tells the tale of Autumn ending up in the pokemon world like the usual PMD shenanigains, but that gets hard when humans are in the mix and oh boi we are in for a ride. Genuinely the characters are likable, the plot can get goofy at times, and the pokemon Autumn has met so far are a real treat to meet too! I believe in ya Autumn and you deserve some love!

(IM having trouble with a 4th/5th recommendation so im gonna save this spot for when I have a brain and can think)

TheTRUEgge

three of them?? this has gotten out of hand!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
Sunlocke is a Pokemon Sun Nuzlocke by me that follows Ann, a girl who grew up in a world devoid of Pokemon before just… appearing here one day. Now she takes on the island challenge, making friends along the way, as she tries to figure out why she’s here. It currently features 6 completed chapters, which cover gameplay up to totem Lurantis.
bftGp0G.png

Pandemonium in Johto is a randomized Soulsilver comic by @novamallow ! Join Ethan as he tries to unravel the mystery of the strange fog that altered the region... and join us all in loving Terry, the goodest boy.
deb21rk-0f477412-f57c-42ba-82f2-f2422583f565.png

Bright Souls is a Crystal Nuzlocke Comic by @SnackyTheSylph . Join Amelia and her totally-not-stolen partner Bowser as they wander around, touching eggs they shouldn't and getting caught up in Soul Shenanigans (Or so a sunflower tells them).
Bright_Souls_banner_cf_version.png

By The Sword
is Sword Nuzlocke Comic by @SnakeEyesDraws ! It features a massive cast of lovable Pokemon characters being led by future dragon gym leader Tumble. Delightful designs and art abound!
ddorj4n-85db9477-68f1-4177-b6ad-da74f3148243.png

Nuzlocke S3 is a SoulSilver Giftlocke Comic. Yule cannot catch Pokemon; they can only be gifted to him. The comic's writing is delightfully emotional, and every event depicted hits hard.

WildfireWhim

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 4, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
Hell yeah! Two extra promo slots!!! I've been struggling to figure out what hidden gems I wanna promo all December so I'm pumped to be able to promo two extra people this year (just gotta... go narrow it down again skljgf)

Self Acceptance by @Rapidashing

Hi hello this comic debuted this spring and!! It's already off to a great start!!! The characters are all super endearing and the art style slaps. If you haven't checked this one out yet, I highly recommend it!

By The Sword by @SnakeEyesDraws

Another comic that debuted in 2020! The character interactions and relationships are all really well thought out and really fun to read! The pokemon designs are also really fun and I'm having a great time following their league challenge so far! Give it a read if you haven't yet!

Imperfect by @Butterkatt

This comic has been around for a while and I think it deserves more attention! The comic has some really lovely atmospheric colours/lighting and the characters are all really interesting to follow!

Maya's Platinum Nuzlocke by @Random-ftw

Another run that's been around for a while that I think deserves more attention!!! The characters are all super charming and the art style is really fun and cute!! Go check it out!!

FoRLoVE by @Vixenkiba
Another new run! It only has a couple pages out right now, but it already looks like it should be a fun adventure and the amount of detail in the art is absolutely wild!

Last edited:

YumeTsuki

Professional Moron
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 1, 2020
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Occassionally appears on a whim.

Penumbra by @TwistedEerie
A nuzlocke that will keep you busy in more ways than just reading. Theres a lot to unpack with the mysterious cryptic messages that are strewn through the pages.

Fault Line by @faultlocke
A great Gjinkalocke located in Kalos. The world building is looking great, and the characters are very interesting.

Liberty by @jadethestone
Definitely worth a read if you haven't yet. This Jotho run follows Liberty, a girl with the ability to hear the voices of pokémon, but no interest in battling. Her starter on the other hand...

The Long Way by @Alex_Nidas
I'm curious to where this is going. The main character definitely got me intrigued.

Atychiphobia by @Sarbear
Hella well written characters. It's just the beginning, but it's already going strong. ~

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Robot lover by day, robot lover by night as well. This Pokemon spits out a comic page about once a month before scuttling back into its room.
(kicks down the door) IIIIIIIIIT'S PROMO TIME!!!
--
https://deviantart.com%2Fsnakeeyesdraws%2Fart%2FHypoxia-Promo-Echo-865795964
Hypoxia - A SoulSilver Nuzlocke by @Polymori
A more original and interesting take on the HGSS games, Hypoxia follows a loveable and plucky Cyndaquil who teams up with a young man named Cassin order to take on the gyms and prove himself as a battler - a task easier said than done, judging by the mysterious past his new trainer has. There's lots of intrigue and mystery being set up in this comic, along with some endearing and complex characters and amazing art!
https://deviantart.com%2Fsnakeeyesdraws%2Fart%2FUndertow-Promo-Fox-865796105
Undertow - A Moon Nuzlocke by @Riboo
Yo yo yo, who doesn't love Team Skull content? Riboo's got you covered with an amazing comic that follows a Team Skull grunt taking on the trials and dealing with the prejudice of Alola against his crew! Amazing interpretations of the Alola setting through the eyes of a Team Skull grunt, amazing art, and hilarious humour! Don't miss out on this fun journey that gets better and better with every page!
https://deviantart.com%2Fsnakeeyesdraws%2Fart%2FSundowner-Promo-Sangria-865796278
Sundowner - An Ultra Sun Nuzlocke by @Dschubba
If you desire a fresh, unique take on the Alola tale with a proactive, engaging protagonist and interesting twists on the canon events and characters, check out Sundowner! It's got an amazing start that shows a ton of promise, and some pages that are pure eye candy with some beautifully rendered backgrounds. Every panel is a labour of love and the effort shows in both the writing and art, read it or forfeit your coffee to a hardwoking detective and her kitty companion!
https://deviantart.com%2Fsnakeeyesdraws%2Fart%2FDear-Sergio-Promo-Toh-Kay-865796453
Dear Sergio - A Pokemon Shield Nuzlocke by @feraligatr
With a new gen of Pokemon comes a new batch of Nuzlocke comics, and Dear Sergio has an incredibly strong start! The dynamic between an apathetic teen and his enthusiastic friend dragging him into shenanigans makes each page a delight to read, with fun dialogue and expressions to boot! Get caught up on the comic now to see what the artist has in store for future updates!
https://deviantart.com%2Fsnakeeyesdraws%2Fart%2FSeverance-Promo-Vulcan-865796613
Severance - A Randomized Platinum Viruslocke by @Winterspheonix
Jam packed with incredible world building, complex characters, and gorgeous artwork, Severance is a must read for any Nuzlocke fan. This comic is such a unique and fascinating take on the Sinnoh region we all think we know - information is gradually shown and revealed through clever dialogue and foreshadowing, making the reading experience thrilling and nail biting. Severance also has the bonus of being a randomized run, making it even more of a fun read to see what new Pokemon the team meets on their journey. Hop on board if you haven't already and witness this amazing story for yourself!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
It's Extravaganza season! 🥳 Hidden gems, huh? Well, let's see....

I know that this is the Nuzlocke Forums, but not everything here is a nuzlocke, and I wanted to shine a light on an OA that came to us in 2020: PMD Rangers of Sky. What is PMD Rangers of Sky? Well, imagine not only a collaboration between two creators but a fusion between two side series! (Can you guess which ones? :P)

We begin our adventure with these beans.
4uQ0wQQ.png

Betty Eliza and Z-Man Zayne—they're Pokemon Rangers.

But now our adventure has these beans.
ITwEvIH.png

#batthings Eliza and You Damn Mushroom Breen.

How did this happen? A series of events involving a Tyranitar and a well.
N9ZY2jo.png

A very scary—but in a beautiful way!—well. Seriously, the striking black and white is used masterfully to illustrate scope. Both ranger!Eliza and Swoobat!Eliza are realizing that they are not as powerful as they thought they were. And so are we! Because this PMD world doesn't have any guild that we've ever seen before. Who puts a guild on top of a Regigigas statue, guys!?

S162.jpg

*image for attention*
Healing Wish by @SimplyUnknown
See? This run is such a hidden gem that it doesn't have a banner! T-T Well, allow me to make a bid for why this run deserves to be recognized this extravaganza.

Bid 1) Reconfiguring canon in a thought-provoking way.
Most nuzlockes play around with the official events of the story, but how many runs reconfigure not only the canon of the game it's set in but the canon of the game its main character is from? That's right—Healing Wish might be a Pokemon Black nuzlocke, but its protagonist is the one and only DUMBUTT Blue Oak. Except... This Blue is not the DUMBUTT from our childhoods. He is a young man drained by the effort of trying to live up to the expectations of a family that does not want him.
SimplyUnknown said:
A desperate keen escaped his throat as the gym leader sank to his knees, tears streaming down his cheeks. He should have known. He should have fucking known that even after all this, after being one of the strongest gym leaders in the Kanto region for 6 years, after all the research on various Pokemon he sent back to Pallet, after becoming the fucking champion, he wasn't good enough. He'd never be good enough. Never measure up to Red. Not for Samuel Oak, Pokemon professor.
The people who actually love him take notice of this exhaustion, and Agatha—yes, the poison not ghost Elite 4 member—as such sends him on a vacation to Unova while she fights the petition that Samuel made to get him replaced by Red in the League. (The AO3 tag "Ookido Yukinari-hakase | Professor Samuel Oak Being an Asshole" is well-deserved.)

Bid 2) Depictions of dysfunctional families.
We've covered "Ookido Yukinari-hakase | Professor Samuel Oak Being an Asshole," but we also have transphobia, sexism, and the unfolding drama of Touko's, a young Unovan trainer who Blue has taken under his wing, search for her brother.
SimplyUnknown said:
Panting, Blue and Touko followed him through the gate and onto the silver and brown train loaded with passengers. He skidded to a halt in front of a baffled crowd, and turned to watch Touko and Blue with a panicked look in his eyes. "Touya, what's going on? Mom's been worried sick!" Touko growled as she slowly approached her older brother. "Where have you been?"

His eyes darting back and forth like a skittish Pokemon, Touya appeared to come to a decision. "Sorry, sis." As the doors slid shut, Touya launched himself through, landing with a solid thud on the ground as they closed, leaving Touko and Blue trapped inside.
Finding the person, unfortunately, does not mean finding the answers.

...I do not have enough space for the rule of threes. :(

Keep in mind that I say this as someone who has neither read nor watched Game of Thrones: I love this "throneslocke." Whether you're still screaming about the ending of the HBO series, eagerly awaiting G.R.R. Martin to give a release date for the next book, or merely inundated by the memes on social media, Spectacles welcomes readers of all houses, through her combination of commentary and story-telling.

Do you like runs with wild rulesets? Then this is the run for you. From RNG to family trees, Specs delivers all of the numbers-crunching goodness. Even better—she is committed to translating the curses and blessings of RNGesus to stories of heartbreak and triumph. This run has been a contender for saddest death for a reason.

And if the rules aren't wild enough, she makes them wilder! As a Game of Thrones fan, she knows that there needs to be d r a m a.

Spectacles said:
AiV751b.png

Yeah you better focus! We need all the catches we can get in this ruleset!
Early-game Specs is right! :0

Even if those catches lead to d r a m a....
Spectacles said:
We have our egg, which means we have a bastard! Orys is the only active member of House Baratheon now, and he’s not married, so there’s no way this is legit even if it does hatch into a Baratheon Pokemon.

Well, I’m not waiting to find out what it is. Time to run around and turbo speed and see where Orys was spreading his wild oats….

d3KN4VU.png

…..WHAT.

A GREYJOY POKEMON?!?

Orys… you didn’t.

I am going to my RNG right now, and if our rival Beldum is a female I swear….

YEP. IT SAYS IT’S A FEMALE. Orys, you dog!
Also, wait, how did this happen.

Wait a minute…

The trainerless/PMD style is fairly common here on the forums now, but Finding Your Roots is one of the first runs using this style to become popular, so if you enjoy this format, check out a progenitor of that style!

If you aren't sold on a PMD style nuzlocke, might I interest you in... Hm... I don't know...

S28pYxl.png

dMgGJfw.png

Thoughtful depictions of children navigating fantasy racism,

fzmtzit.png

Queer representation,

6xVMxrm.png

And the purest bean of a protagonist?

Finding Your Roots has just finished its first Book, so now is a great time to join the Cedar fanclub the adventure!

Inspired by screenshot/story runs like GoT-ta Catch 'em All!, Jenga! is a Critical Role castlocke that also hopes to bring in audiences across the spectrum of knowledge about its source material. Whether you're a full-on Critter, curious about tabletop RPGs, are a GIF aficionado, or just enjoy watching someone struggle through a restrictive ruleset, Jenga! has something for you!

Bowser's Family Vacation said:
62ZDnOM.png
Where the Friendship Checker Poketch app is a thing!

b04a522f11c759f0d5ceefb7a33d9ebf.gif
GROG, DO YOU LOVE ME!?

As it would turn out, no, not really. ;( What, no, I’m not crying.
tumblr_odg7p0RQoT1qccr2xo6_400.gifv

Last edited:

mizar

young, dumb, and full of you know ;)
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
ddkg0zd-8d936d39-26a7-4ab3-abcb-c9d3874de213.png

Champion's Mercy by @spacesriot

This run was started back in November 2018, but is new to the forums this year! Champion's Mercy is an Alola gijinkalocke following Axel Barnes, a 15 year old rowlet gijinka. It's already onto the second island, so without spoiling anything, plot is starting to pick up and there are a lot of ongoing mysteries. This run has some popularity on Deviantart but it gets a little overshadowed on the forums. It's definitely worth checking out, with so few alolalockes this one really stands out for its character dynamics and neat takes on canon.
unknown.png

PS... The art style is also very cute!

---

YAryh13.png

I Wanna be the Very Best by @SnackyTheSylph

As of writing this someone else has already promo'd this screenshot run, but it deserves a second because it's very unique and entertaining, and has been going on for quite some time at this point. This person is going through every mainline pokemon game without ever using the same team members, making for some interesting runs. They're currently on Kalos, and still have plenty of games to go.

---
I will update this if I write more promos!

Last edited:

sealclown

certified gamer moments
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 13, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
she/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. ???
there's been so many good runs this year, its so hard to decide! i'll probably add more later on and dump my fanart stash, but here's a few that havent been mentioned yet!

an alola gijinkalocke, champion's mercy is complete with great designs and a growing sense of mystery. the interactions between all the kids are so good, and all of their different personalities and background create some really fun dynamics. if intrigue, colorful and personality-filled designs, and evil catgirls are your thing, please check it out!!

until then (which you might have known as pantsing, in the past!) is a randomized platinum gijinkalocke, and also a total visual treat. at times abstract and always experimental, it has such cool paneling and really expressive characters. it also balances drama and being grimly hilarious really well. with cool visuals and some well-done darker humor, take a look if you're craving a very unique nuzcomic!

pocket space, a firered gijinka run (listen, yes ok i have a huge soft spot for gijinkas, listen), is such a cute run with so much genuine character interaction. it has a fun 'teens going on a summer roadtrip' energy, alongside a really interesting premise. the more casual scenes of all the kids just spending time together it really gets you invested in their successes- for both winning badges and growing as people! if you want some summertime mystery-finding adventure in your life, check it out.

even if you don't usually read storylockes, brick by boring brick is such a fantastic read. it blends humor, pure chest-gripping cuteness, and raw emotion in a way that always manages to feel organic and genuine. with well-written protagonist and a fleshed out canon cast, if you're looking for a great romcom, or a more grounded nuzlocke story, or just think that leon is kinda hot, i highly recommend this!

(with one more TBD...!)

SnowyUmbreon

Hex Maniac
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
When left alone, this solitary creature spends hours reading stories and playing video games. It spends an unhealthy amount of time on the computer.
ddjg035-4775b665-4941-4be4-925b-11c4564a1fcc.png

Deadly Syns by @SysterSyn
Do you enjoy falling in love with characters only to have them cruelly and mercilessly ripped from your loving hands? If so, then Deadly Syns is the perfect comic for you! (Every fan has a favorite and no one is safe!) Seriously though, Dingo does an amazing job of making readers fall in love with all of Deadly Syn's characters, even characters who only appear for a brief amount of time. Aside from amazing characterization, Dingo also has strong writing and storytelling, plus gorgeous art to boot!

banner_by_thelastunicorninoz_de1s5ex-pre.jpg

Pokemon Royal by @TheLastUnicornInOz
Although it's just starting out, this comic is certainly worth a read! Pokemon Royal is an engaging underdog story about a young trainer struggling to prove her worth as she deals with underlying health conditions. The story starts out quick, instantly engaging its readers, and there is a clear amount of effort and attention to detail packed into every panel.

MWAZXZP.png

Finding Your Roots by @Salt&PepperBunny
Having just finished its first book, Finding Your Roots is well on its way to becoming a fan favorite. More than a simple Nuzlocke, this comic tackles difficult issues such as prejudice, bias, and acceptance in a very unique way. Salt&PepperBunny does an amazing job of navigating these difficult themes as she investigates tensions between different Pokemon types. Additionally, this story contains beautiful writing, characterization, and art. It's worth reading many times over!

0UFcYlz.png

Sweet Releaf by @khorale
So far, Sweet Releaf's greatest strength is its amazingly adorable art style and recognizable characters. Sweet Releaf has a cheerful and optimistic atmosphere, but this doesn't prevent it from covering difficult topics such as abuse and disability.

hidden_swords_cover_by_thegalacticdragon_ddklcw1-pre.png

Hidden Swords by @Zonathesona
Hidden Swords introduces an interesting concept to the world of Pokemon, known as werePokemon. Using the setting of Galar, this comic investigates the history and lore of werePokemon. Additionally, this comic introduces interesting and fun hybrid designs, as well as unique designs for human and werePokemon characters.

Alex_Nidas

I'm lazy and I'm proud
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Sightings of them in the wild are rare, as they prefer to stay indoors with their art tablet and little siblings.
ddyj8ab-76bc7f95-ae16-4c76-a50c-e03def62f66c.png

Wanted! by @YumeTsuki
Everyone has their own take of a mainline game's nuzlocke. Your Kantos, your Sinnohs, your Alolas, but few dare take on the desolate wasteland of Orre. And even fewer do so in such a snarkily relaxed manner. But, Wanted! does it all, and then some, worthy enough of at least a quick peak.

de2etld-063e6cac-3a02-4e19-874c-3e3d418bcab6.png

Shiro's Quest by @ShiroInu
What happens when you put a comic through 10 years of prep work, finally finishing off the first leg of the journey, only to reveal that the party's just getting started? You get Shiro's Quest, the second installment in Shiro's journey of self discovery and accidental hijinks. With the Kanto chapter of her journey only wrapping up a few months back, now's the perfect time to hop on board and find out what's in store for Hoenn.

41BuZw1.png

Smile Through the Pain by @erk pls
In a site dominated by comics, it's rare that screenshot and written stories get their due. But Smile Through the Pain is one of those rare gems that deserves at least a curious glance at it's first few chapters to see if you get invested. Following the adorkable Diana, this screenshot run is narrated by her journal entries as we get to see this chipper beacon of sunshine go up against a brutal hack, that doesn't pull any of its punches, and is sprinkled with tons of giggleworthy lines.

(remaining two spots reserved for when I can think of other promos)

Last edited:

Nessi

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 5, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
Okay let´s go! : D

0UFcYlz.png

Sweet ReLeaf by @khorale An incredible cute and wholesome Run who is also entirely drawn traditionally! It´s "only" at Viridian City right now but that´s because it focuses a lot on the characters and is overall just an absolute delight to read

nSJEe2Q.png

Rainbow Tour by @mizar This comic is simply gorgeous. You ever see one of those Nature documentarys that have such beautiful shots they just stay in your head forever? This is that in Pokemon form

ddvx2im-6f3c7636-983b-4861-a8ac-ce43dd839509.png

Across the Divide by @pkmnMasterWheeler is a super unique Run where the Pokemon are not allowed to evolve and only one Pokemon per Gym is allowed to be caught. As if that´s not interesting enough it follows Ashs Pikachu (yep that one) after it´s being thrown into a Mystery Dungeon like world without any pokemon so the Towns,Routes and NPCs are all unique as well! Definitely worth a read if just for the cuteness alone

soul_brothers_nuzlocke_cover_by_gecko_nuzlockes_dc9jl5y-pre.jpg

Soul Brothers by @GECKO In Soul Brothers Pokemon and Humans can´t just understand each other but live as Equals. The best example for that are the two Main Characters Ty the Totodile and Corey the Human who grew up as Brothers dreaming to one day beat the league together. The Relationship that emerge from that equality are super well written and interesting, the designs are also overall cute and the whole comic is over all wholesome until a mysterious Group of people starts to poison Pokemon turning them into feral Beast and to top it all off this Group is now hunting the two brothers to kidnap a Togepi Baby they care for. Incredible intriguing and a true hidden gem

Everyone else I wanted to promo has already been put here so I leave the last 1 spots open to maybe come back to later :V

Last edited:

KirbySSU

Unova Veteran (Though Not In Nuzlockes)
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 10, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Likes Kirby, perhaps a bit too much.
ddqowpf-8fd2fb7d-c2b4-4f04-9362-87b0d831266b.png

(Brick by Boring Brick by @glancesherlock)

I generally don't get into reading storylockes, but Brick by Boring Brick is a wonderful blend of comedy and a compelling story, with amazing writing throughout. The main character is written in such a realistic way, Leon, Hop and all the other side characters are a delight, and Raihan has so many hilarious lines I want to print out and frame on a wall. I can't really do this story justice by saying that, so please, please give it a read. You won't be disappointed.

Bramble

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 20, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
  1. Steel
  2. ???
Planning to add another 4 runs to this when I have time, but to get things started I want to talk about a run that ended earlier this year and well deserves to get its due in one last Extravaganza. You might have heard of it if you’re into Rocket plots, ghostly antics, and mythic portents (or even just a healthy appreciator of the ol’ Johto Green). It’s Lost in the Stream by @AstroDeath !

AeWXybf.png

This storylocke follows a grunt named Elliot, his fellow Rockets, and a growing group of tag-along ‘mons straggling across Johto as members of a criminal team that’s seen better days. Elliot himself isn’t doing much better- aside from the dodgy career prospects, being harassed by his Misdreavus and having no luck with a certain cute gym leader, he’s plagued by dreams that speak of something way beyond the daily bullshit…..
It’s a genuinely funny story with some unexpectedly poignant moments, and if it wasn’t already obvious, AstroDeath has one of the most unique takes on the standard Johto plot that I’ve read. It’s well worth a read!

*****​
On the other end of the spectrum, here’s a run that’s still in its early days. @Epsilon 's The Thorn asks- if Galar’s based on England, and its League runs with a football theme, why not take that to its logical conclusion?

1M8lHOE.png

This storylocke has a take on the gym challenge that turns it into a nuzlocke equivalent to Premier League football in all its glory (rowdy fans included lol), and isn’t afraid to have fun with your classic cheesy sports underdog tropes. It also has two contrasting but equally likable protagonists in sheltered rich girl Aria and a jaded Sonia (not to mention the gem that is Marnie- her dialogue is worth the read alone tbh). The Thorn is just coming up to the first gym and has really started to hit its stride (and hints of a wider plot) so it’s as good a time as any to catch up.
What might Lillie be like if she had spent an even longer time under Lusamine’s thumb? What kind of relationship might develop between her and a new neighbour, Moon, who’s her polar opposite (yet strangely appealing)? What if Orre was just straight-up Australia? If you’re curious, @Flop disc 's Trainer-Watching gives you the answers to those questions and a lot more besides.

Flop_banner_flottflott.png

It’s a story that’d been around for while before being rebooted last year, but this new incarnation takes everything good about the original version and heightens it even more. This take on Lillie has pretty much become the Lillie in my eyes by this point, and she’s a unique and deeply fleshed out character, having been raised to protagonist status in this story. As much as Lillie’s quirks and flaws shape the gist of Trainer-Watching, the other characters are given just as much care- Moon is a fascinating figure in her own right. The prose is also some of the best on the forums. Read it, you won't regret it!
This is a Low by @Garish Garchomp is another completed run that deserves to go out on a high (pun 100% intended).

JwZ05oa.gif

It’s a short, but very dense, story centred around (the lil’ shit, the legend) Bede, following his journey across Galar and his journey towards the possibility of something better. For a one-shot, there’s quite a bit compressed into this story, with some very tight writing and structuring. It manages to be both exactly what you’d expect from a Bede story, and more- his relationship to his team, to Rose, to his past and to his future prospects in Ballonlea are all sketched in a way that makes them mean more than just the obvious. It’s also funny, in a sarky, snarky way that fits Bede to a tee. Where else are you gonna see Opal described as having “the kind of cheek that can only come from someone who missed their exit to the afterlife more than a few kilometres ago.” ?
*****​

The last run I’m promo’ing is Three's a Crown by @Missy ! If you’re like me and went through a phase of devouring Victorian pulp stories as a kid and feel like reliving that on the Nuzforums, this is the story for you. If you didn’t go through said phase, but just appreciate an excellently written and entertaining read, then this is also the story for you, because it delivers on that and more.

elwhvcu.png

Three's a Crown centres on three sisters in a 19th-century-Canada-inspired Sinnoh, who are stirred into competition when they learn their mother’s will dictates that only a League Champion may be the inheritor of her estate. The setting is vividly drawn, with Minty, Gwen and Estelle each having their own distinct place in it. The way Missy juggles the sisters’ clashing personalities while giving depth to them, their teams, and a cast of colourful side characters is something special among storylockes here. There’s a lot more I could say about the various threads of this story and how they’re being gradually woven into a plot much wider than the sibling squabble that sets it all off, but I’ll leave it for now- reading it will do it more justice tbh!

Last edited:

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
Click the banners to go to the threads! ovob

by @Sanctell

How far would you go for freedom?

Devon, a teenager who is all alone in this world (except for her tiny Turtwig friend), gets discovered to take on the Nuzlocke Challenge and become a social media star in order to pay off her debts. If anyone has ever had a good reason to go on a dangerous journey, it's Devon - money makes the world go round and those debt collectors are ruthless.
Debtlocked is set in a futuristic world whose disturbing intricacies are just being started to be revealed, and once you've seen these glimpses, you'll be dying to know more! While I'm sure it will take a while until the big questions are answered, you can have smaller questions answered very soon - the comic is interactive! If you're more creative than me, you can message Devon and her team on social media and they may respond in-story!

QNGh8kH.png

by @ratrascal

The Unova region will have to face its shortcomings, or risk losing the connection between humans and Pokemon forever.

May I present ... Rat Comic!
What I love most about FWIW is how hard it goes on the characterization of the first few small friends right away. Not only do all the Pokémon have amazing unique designs, but they also have so much personality and struggles and problems with each other going on that it feels like you've known them forever even though they're just past Accumula Town! Unfortunately, while we can understand them, the humans in this story can't. But trainer Avery is going to try!
Are we sure Avery is really the protagonist, though? Look at Ruby the Patrat, pictured below. Now you are convinced to read the comic. Thanks.

iBe3pxb.png

by @Lanae

Young Cordia Yoshikawa just moved from Kanto to Alola with her adoptive mother and wants to start a Pokemon journey! It won't be as easy as she thinks.

Cordia has grown up very sheltered, but she is delighted to find out that her new home Alola requires children to take the Island Challenge. She's having a good time for the most part, but her mother seemingly can't let go and is acting very suspicious. So much that this raises questions about who Cordia even is...
Besides these compelling mysteries, the comic also offers an adorable art style, all the funny moments of a kid trying her best but still being a kid, and... Grumpy Nebby!

iMYjGOU.png

by @Yuriakashu

Choosing a fire starter in the middle of a drought ...

Ah yes, it's the most mind blowing story I have ever seen in a Nuzlocke. I can't tell you much because you gotta experience this, but we got a very special kind of reality, people whose amazing powers are more of a curse than a blessing due to the state of the world, and stunning depictions of grief. On the topic of grief, you can also actually get a thrill out of the gameplay aspect, since this run only uses gift Pokémon and, uh, not all of them are alive anymore at this point.
The story is very far in already, so you will get lots of payoff from reading it and you can also watch the fantastic development of Yuria's style over the years. Come along for the rest of the journey!

dSuky99.png

by @critterlingz

a young boy, desperate to escape his stifling hometown, embarks on a league challenge.
but he carries the weight of a years-old tragedy wherever he goes -- and a growing feeling that sinnoh is hiding something terrible.

You thought the death of a beloved character was the biggest fear you could have in a Nuzlocke? Check out Relic Radiation to see much, much worse!
In this horror themed comic, strange and deadly things happen in Sinnoh, and you can trust nobody. The brilliant and unique art style makes amazing use of color in the most impactful moments, and when the constantly bickering yet lovable cast gets to have a nice thing sometimes, it feels like being given a stress ball that you can squeeze to get through all the spookies. Okay I lied, I'm very scared about their deaths, but the scariest thing about it is the how. c:
Also, please consider: Champion Astraea (i'm gay)

ToTgctc.png

Last edited:

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!!! But don´t forget to wear one
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
Greetings everybody; Here are some Storylocke nomitations for the Ganza.

By @Aurea

From the Legendary Author behind Impulse, comes a romance like you have never seen before. This Storylocke of Pokémon Shield focuses on the relationship between Sonia and Leon, as the events from the game take a backseat. Aurea is a veteran in the Storylocke Community, so it should more than obvious that her writing is top notch: her version of the characters are excellent, their interactions with one another are excellent; and the chemistry between the main pair, is truly something to behold. You must read it, you won't regret it.​

One of the runs that caught my eye during this year was Behold, A Pale Horse. The main premise of Assassinating the Coronet Twelve is already engaging, but everything else about this run is what makes it so interesting to read: The protagonist Eddie is quite a character, and so is the Rival Deion; the reimagined region of Sinnoh as a crime-ridden society is quite intriguing and filled with potential; and as the series goes on … I can't tell you, you must read it for yourselves, so you can see why this Run shows quite a lot of potential.​

By @JavierE64

In a world where the human race is already extinct, and different Pokémon Communities rule over Hoenn; a ragtag group of young Pokemon will try to survive this nightmare of a world, and search for a better life. If I’m being completely honest, I think the best part of this run is worldbuilding: I put a lot of effort into the Post-Apocalyptic setting, even borrowing elements from real life. If you like different takes on a Nuzlocke Run, filled with intriguing characters and settings, you should totally check my run out.

CJpqD2A.png

By @Bowser's Family Vacation

Another run I found very intriguing last year was Brotherhood: Bowser’s Family Vacation is one of the most unique authors on the forums, with both Jenga and Ashes to Ashes as great examples. And Brotherhood is no exception: Our protagonist Paul must embark on a journey across an Unova taken over by Team Plasma, all while looking over his older brother. I find this version of the character to be a blast to read; and even though we don´t read things under his perspective, the narration really dives into his personality and thoughts. Not to mention, the world is very grim, but very detailed, and Hugh is an interesting character now.

The Applin of My Eye By @Whozawhatcha

Pokémon Sword and Shield brought a new kind of Storylockes to the community: Romantic Comedies; and one of the first runs of this kind was The Applin of My Eye. From the Author of Ghost in the Machine and Come Hell or High Water, and first released on Valentine’s Day, this is the story of a farmer called Bonnie, who is competing in the Pokémon League, with only Wooloos. Add in an intriguing and hilarious love triangle, a casual but charming writing style, and the most adorable team of Pokémon ever created, and this is a run worthy of a ganza. If you love romances and Wooloos, then this run is the perfect match for you. ​

Last edited:

Polymori

A Hot Mess
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon has an over-active imagination and creates more stories than any sane person should.
Most of these have probably already been posted cause they are that good, but just means more love for them uwu

FWIW_forum_signature2.png

For What It's Worth - @ratrascal

"The time is right for starting a Pokemon adventure, and Nuvema's local teens are finally ready to head off on their own. Avery, humorous and laid-back, finds herself caring for an Oshawott with a puzzling lack of confidence for a starter Pokemon.
It was supposed to be a simple journey, but no one can rest easy when the controversial figures of Team Plasma start to make waves across the region.
As someone who always preferred just taking it slow and teasing her friends, Avery realizes that she's going to have to step up and defend the things she cares about.

The Unova region will have to face its shortcomings, or risk losing the connection between humans and Pokemon forever."

de0a2xk-2cfb8e83-82cd-4ab5-adb2-2b3ce20a1f00.png

Autumn in Sinnoh - @Nessi
It's not very often you get such a fresh take for an isekai nuzlocke. Super lovable characters, cute af art style and just all around really interesting plot and characters. I have a hard time keeping up with nuzlockes and comics in general, but this is one of the few I keep coming back to because it's so good!

nSJEe2Q.png

Rainbow Tour - @mizar
Phoebe is 17, fresh out of high school, with no idea where to go next. In contrast, her sister Eva and brother Felix have just been hired by the world-famous Professor Oak to research pokemon across the Kanto region. Phoebe's mother urges her to become a trainer as she did, despite her lack of interest. Partially to get away from her mother, and partially for fun, she joins Eva in her travels. However, haunted by her past, she can't keep running from her future.
Also worth noting, since Phoebe is not interested in taking on the pokemon league, gym fights are handled in other ways.

ddvx2im-6f3c7636-983b-4861-a8ac-ce43dd839509.png

Across the Divide - @pkmnMasterWheeler
Across the Divide is a Let's Go Pikachu Nuzlocke about Ash's Pikachu after he gets thrown into another world, and his adventures trying to get back home!~ What crazy adventures await our hero in this strange new world? And will he be able to get back home to Ash?!

unknown.png

Undertow - @Riboo
Undertow is a great twist on an Alolan nuzlocke. With his lawful good popplio named Foxtrot, Team Skull member Kai is given a second chance at facing the trials after his failure as a child. Meet an amazing and very real cast of characters that are sculpted by their history and the problems of Alola's culture. While Undertow is not dark, it does have a more real take on pokemon than your standard nuzlocke.

Empty Sun

that's right, buttholes
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
It might eat you. It might your relatives.
yeehaw mateys got some shit to show ya

pmd ros has some gotdang nice art. like, whooo-wee
i'm really interested in where it's goin' and it updates regularly, so it's worth following

this comic might be dead but i really want peddleton to win "best mon" category so he it be. make him win boys

everyone and their mom is promoting undertow. which is fair, it's pretty solid
might be a contender for best mc

a funky little emerald comic, and it's also a fair ways along
another contender for best mc

rare non-comic promo!
this mf really be playing every single game. right now they're on X and i am lobbying for them to catch an alomomola

i imagine i can't self promote so
:watchingyou:

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
Alrighty, gonna keep these short so you can quickly read this post then immediately head over to check out these gems because it's what they deserve~

The Sun and Moon portion of the pokemon anime was a delight, but I know many of us were curious to see what a more traditional "Ash travels through the region" adventure would look like. Well, wonder no more as Golden Sun by @pkmnMasterWheeler gives us that and much more. Filled to the brim with Wheeler's trademark humor, fantastically executed battles, and fun cast of characters, Golden sun is a delight to read whether you're a long time pokeani fan or new to Ash's adventures- so be sure to give it a read asap!!!

Road Map Not Included by @ashdrawsarts follows Finley, Cheren, and Bianca as they travel through Unova and man, I don't know if I've ever seen the Unova trio feel like such good friends. From their banter to their teamwork to their fights it's clear that these three kids are the closest of friends who are going to be there for each other through all the craziness that Unova will throw at them. Round that off with a starter that doesn't really want to be here, and a fun team of pokemon to root for, and you've got yourself an incredibly enjoyable comic you need to read as soon as you get the chance!

The only thing I should have to tell you about Magenta's Gen 1 Nuzlocke by @sunburstblue is that that the starter is a Squirtle named Tiny that is like, an inch tall max who fits into his trainer's hand, and all of you should immediately understand and leave this post to read it right this very second. But if I stopped there I wouldn't get to mention the gentle and nostalgic tone of the Nuzlocke thus far makes me smile every time I see a new page. Please give this charming comic a read as soon as you can- don't worry, you can thank me for the smile on your face later.

Dear Sergio by @feraligatr is a newer comic on the block, but has already got me grinning from ear to ear with the way our protagonist, Sergio, plays off of Hop. A classic high-energy, low-energy duo, Hop and Sergio are instantly a fun pair to root for as they begin their pokemon journey (however unwillingly for Sergio) and head off into greater Galar. So be sure to give this fun new comic a look as soon as you're done reading my last promo.

Okay, so we all remember how fantastic Pokemon Yellow Nostalgia-Locke by @pkmnMasterWheeler was, right? Well I'm happy to tell y'all that fantastic-ness continued on in the ask-blog/comic hybrid, PEA Shorts. Join the titular characters, Pulse, Eve, and Arcadia as they adjust to their new lives, answer your questions, and just generally be an adorable family unit of 2 lesbians and their super powerful now-in-charge-of-the-universe mewtwo daughter. Filled with humor and heart, PEA shorts is an endearing blog deserving of more love right this very instant!

Lampette

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 20, 2019
Nature
Lax
Time for a self promo!
d8nDl4k.png

Pokemon: Shadow of the Sun concerns a young Sneasel named Twig. Born with a strange birthmark that makes her a pariah in her village, she is kidnapped one day but manages to escape, only to find herself far from home. Enlisting the help of a hard-drinking Gardevoir and a chipper Togetic acolyte, she goes on a journey to find out the meaning behind her mark, and hopefully return home...

SOTS has been on break these past few weeks but will resume updating this week. If you're into fantasy like Redwall or Warrior Cats, then definitely give my comic a read!

Read here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread