• The Writer's Locke will be on hiatus from now until August 2nd. Read more about it here. Thanks for sticking by us. Looking forward to seeing you all again when we're back!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

FAQ  Extravaganza 2019 — Discussion Thread

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
Exactly what it says on the tin. This is a thread for open discussion for the 2019 Extravaganza, mostly geared towards any questions you may have about how to participate this year! Please hold any extended discussion and review of the event for after the Extravaganza has concluded and we move this thread into the Suggestion Box.

Happy Nuz Year!

llyarden

Perpetual Lurker
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
I may just be missing something here, but why does the Ineligibility List say 2018?

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I may just be missing something here, but why does the Ineligibility List say 2018?
I am small and not make very many money
less jokingly, thanks for the heads up! We missed that

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
For runs that have multiple categories (i.e: SSWL and Written), how do you decide what to put it in for the ballot?

Also, for runs that only have Pokemon characters, do those Pokemon count as main or supporting characters or only as Pokemon?

Last edited:

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
For runs that have multiple categories (i.e: SSWL and Written), how do you decide what to put it in for the ballot?

Also, for runs that only have Pokemon characters, do those Pokemon count as main or supporting characters or only as Pokemon?
In regards to categories, a run should really only run for it’s primary medium. While storyshots are a thing, the difference between a Written story with pictures/illustrations and a narrative Screenshot run is a clear line. If there is anything that really blurs that line to an incomprehensible level, I’d advise asking the author.

For Pokemon only runs it can be broken down a few ways. This also applies to Gijinka only:
  • The main character category is for the protagonist only
  • The Pokemon character category is for team members, which means it does extend to gijinka team members
  • The Supporting characters category is for everyone else, pokemon, gijinka or otherwise.
Hopefully this clears up any confusion. We definitely covered Gijinka runs in the guidelines since it’s always been such a prevalent issues in years prior, but I guess Pokemon Only runs have gained enough numbers to now to face the same questions. Hooray for that! That’s progress!

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
Where can you see the winners from previous years? I never followed this very closely before and would like to try and avoid nominating people for the exact same things they have won two or three years ago.

Reactions: Bug

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
@Krisantyne I would direct you to the directory, however that is in Tapatalk. However, we did include an ineligibility listing in the firsts post of the thread that lists out users who have won previous years and in which categories.

Thanks for joining us for this Ganza!

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
@Bug Ah, I thought the ineligibility list covered 1st and 2nd place from last year or there were many ties or something; if it goes back multiple years, that will be enough information for me. Thanks!

Zero

Jet's Black Nuzlocke
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her/it
Pokémon Type
Fire, Bug
Pokédex Entry
It is born asleep, and it dies asleep. All its movements are apparently no more than the results of it tossing and turning in its dreams.
For best redesign do we nom one specific character or a whole series?

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
When a creator gets nominations for multiple different Best Pokémon (also applies to Supporting Character, Antagonist and Battle), are they all added together and the most commonly mentioned one goes into voting for them? Or does each one count separately and the nominators all have to choose the same one to benefit the creator?

Reactions: Bug

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
For best redesign do we nom one specific character or a whole series?
We had never really specified, but general concensus seems to be entire runs over singular characters. If you feel inclined to point out one particular character we'll just count it toward the run they're in in the end.

When a creator gets nominations for multiple different Best Pokémon (also applies to Supporting Character, Antagonist and Battle), are they all added together and the most commonly mentioned one goes into voting for them? Or does each one count separately and the nominators all have to choose the same one to benefit the creator?
An author may only be nominated once per category, so it does mean that everyone will have to have a general consensus to push a single character forward. You can freely edit your post as many times as you want leading up to the closing of the thread. If an author manages to get multiple pokemon through, they will be asked to pick only one (unless this is the best death category and they all died at once. RIP).

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?
Are streams considered Screenshot/Written logs for the purposes of this extravaganza?

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
@Nate Yes, for the purposes of the extravaganza they are.

Ketsuba~n

Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 9, 2019
I have one last-minute question: Why are Creative Content and non-Nuzlocke runs allowed? This is the Nuzlocke Extravaganza. Posting a work on the Nuzlocke Forums should not automatically make it Nuzlocke-related.

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
I have one last-minute question: Why are Creative Content and non-Nuzlocke runs allowed? This is the Nuzlocke Extravaganza. Posting a work on the Nuzlocke Forums should not automatically make it Nuzlocke-related.
Correction: it’s the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza. We’ve allowed Other Adventures and by extension original content as part of our celebrations for years now. While it’s highly unlikely you’re going to find non-fanwork as part of the event, we still have non-Nuzlockes we’ll likely be seeing move onto voting this year again as well. Maybe if we have a year where we’re dominated by unrelated original works we’ll have to make some changes, but until then the event will remain as a way to celebrate what our fellow users create and share every year.

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Just wants to stay home and solve crimes.
Voting for the Extravaganza opens tomorrow, and while we're very excited for the festivities to begin, the Feature Team would like to make a quick announcement.

As many of you are aware, AngrySkitty sadly passed away last month. While her comic, Nuzlocke on Ice, did receive many nominations, Skitty's family has requested that her comic not be included in the event. We are hoping to make a dedication in her honor in the near future, but to respect the wishes of her family, Nuzlocke on Ice will not take part in the Extravaganza this year.

Thank you for your understanding.

Garish Garchomp

Friendly Neighborhood Landshark
Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
Heeeeey friends, guess what time it is?

That’s right, it’s voting time! The thread with all the categories and their lovely lovely snippets is up right here!

pinkshellos

Black Lives Matter !!
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 23, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Flying
Pokédex Entry
A timid Pokémon typically found in groups. The only thing that motivates her more than companionship is food.
Question - I’m sure there were many many many different nominations for each and every category; what was the process for narrowing those down to the 5 on the ballot?

cross_off

just a gangster, I suppose...
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he - him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
it was banished for its violence. it silently gazes upon the old world from the distortion world
Question - I’m sure there were many many many different nominations for each and every category; what was the process for narrowing those down to the 5 on the ballot?
afaik it's whichever 4-5 people got the most nominations in said category because it's a popular vote. think there's exceptions for tiebreaks + people opting out but I'm not 100% sure how those are handled. leaving this as a placeholder bc nobody responded bc I'm certain that feature team has a clearer answer to give.

also while we're here @ feature team I'd like to formally lodge a protest at being kicked off the storylocke ballot and seeing my slot given to some clown named cross_off. justice for d'lo would be much appreciated (maybe reverse the trade while you're at it too)

Garish Garchomp

Friendly Neighborhood Landshark
Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
@pinkshellos So generally speaking: the 5 most-nominated runs/characters/etc got in. However, we have a 3 category limit for the sake of diversity, and some candidates make it into 4 or more categories. In those cases they had to choose which 3 they wanted to move forward with. Once they dropped down to 3, we went down to the run/charry/etc with the next highest tally to fill the gap they left, unless of course that user was in a similar situation, in which case we just skipped over them (bc they had enough on their plate) and went to the next eligible person. That's the gist of it. Also, generally when it comes to tiebreaks further down, it goes to the user not in the ganza or in a fewer number of categories.

@d'angelo russell Should have that fixed (or should I say, that problem has been crossed off i'm so sorry that was awful). Congrats on your trade to the T'Wolves, btw. Have fun throwing up lobs to KAT!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)