• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • 🎊🎊🎊 Happy Nuzyear! The promotional period for the 11th annual Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza has closed. Go read all about these cool runs!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Don't Get Me Started: a Pokemon blog

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
In which I talk way too much about my favorite topic

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So... it's that time again.

Progress on Secrets of Aetherai: What Once Was Mine is... progressing. It's my first time in years tackling a serious long-running comic (I did some screenshot comics for Twitch Plays Pokemon back in the day, but we don't talk about those because one, they were never finished, and two, I was an edgelord back then and they were horrible), and the early chapters are going to be... experimental. Also I'm doing everything in Microsoft Paint because I had two options: learn how to use a new and vastly more complicated graphics program, or use what I already knew like the back of my hand. And I chose the latter. It's a little harder to work without layers, but it gets the job done. Anyway, What Once Was Mine will start posting pages on May 1, so keep an eye out for that.

A Trace of Magic: Seeing Red has resumed updates, and I'm excited to see where my two disaster boys are heading next. Secrets of Aetherai: Ori's Gift is nearing the close of the current mission, which was originally to be titled The Cubone Missile Crisis because I love that pun, but sadly it shall not be because Cubone didn't actually play a role in the events of the Missile Bomb/Lavender Tower (Team Rocket/Pokemon Tower) situation. So I'll probably run another AMA for Ori's Gift after that happens and hope we get enough questions for that one.

While I won't actually start posting Pokemon Tantalum 2.0 articles until after ScVi have been out long enough that I know what they're about and what elements of them I want to carry over into the game concept, I have been working on Tantalum 2.0 and some of the game elements I'd want to see in a dream Pokemon game. One of the concepts is turning Holowear into a game mechanic that alters a Pokemon's stats, movepool, and Contest condition. This may be based off my brother's strong desire to see more Pikachu in little hats.

Healthwise, I'm learning to manage my stomach problems for the time being, but I do have an endoscopy scheduled for May 13. Which is when my period is scheduled to arrive. I cannot have ibruprofen for a week before the endoscopy and I cannot take anything by mouth after the midnight before it, so... fun. I should probably speak with my mom about that. (The good news is that the endoscopy is a 8:30, which is late enough that I can get up on time and early enough that I won't be ravenously starving by the time it's over.)

Have a blessed Easter, everymon, and don't eat too much discount candy in the next week.

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
I honestly don't know what it is that leads people to speculate about time travel, but it would be kind of funny since we just had PLA. That could be taken as evidence that they wouldn't repeat the same concept twice in a row, or that PLA was just the springboard/testing zone for more time travel shenanigans. Take your pick, haha.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
I honestly don't know what it is that leads people to speculate about time travel, but it would be kind of funny since we just had PLA. That could be taken as evidence that they wouldn't repeat the same concept twice in a row, or that PLA was just the springboard/testing zone for more time travel shenanigans. Take your pick, haha.
I think it's the scene from the trailer with the clock's hands going in all different directions, and the logo text for Scarlet looking old-fashioned while the logo text for Violet looks futuristic.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
How One SPECIAL PIKACHU Changed VGC FOREVER | Competitive Pokemon Lore by Moxie Boosted

How did a single event Pikachu with a special move cause a domino effect to raise awareness of VGC? News at eleven. This is a really cool video and definitely highlights how what seems inconsequential at one point can be the butterfly whose flapping causes a hurricane.

---

Sky Drop and Dark Void: Banned for Breaking the Game by GatorEX

I've recently gotten into watching competitive Pokemon lore videos (as you might have guessed), and this one was really interesting. One note: GatorEX lists "Precipice Blades" as a move that hits through Sky Drop, but the correct move name is Thousand Arrows -- Precipice Blades cannot hit Flying types even if they are not using Sky Drop.

---

Charizard Samurái from Pokémon Unite in Pokémon Sword ⚔️ Shield 🛡️ (MOD) by Ivo NewmaN

Remember that Armored Charizard that was rumored to appear in Sword and Shield but never actually happened? Well, now you can finally hack it into your game -- and unlike its official appearance in Pokemon Unite, it won't cost you anything. I do however wonder... what would its G-Max form look like? Would the armor catch on fire?

---

NEW Legenedary Pokemon Enamorus Explained | Pokemon Theory by Asura Pokemon 101

While Enamorus did clearly fall out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, she does have significant cultural origins that are worth exploring, and this video does exactly that. (Also, TIL that the four-winged potato from Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings is actually a real mythological thing and not something that Marvel made up.)

---

The Truth About Ingo & The Hisui Region- Pokémon Legends Arceus Theory by Zanolith

A Pokemon Legends: Arceus Mystery SOLVED?! by Espy Juju

Why did Ingo fall through the timespace rift into Hisui? How did he lose his memory? This theory provides an interesting possible explanation to both, tying in to the reveal of Hisuian Zorua and Zoroark of all things. I must admit, I did not see that coming, but it makes a surprising amount of sense. While I saw Zanolith's video first, Espy Juju's video was actually released prior (and referenced in Zanolith's video, which was conceived independently without knowledge of the original Epsy Juju video), so I have included both videos here.

---

12 Pokemon Fused To Build A Team, Then We Battle! by Shadypenguinn

Like Pokefusions? Like randomized metas? Well, here's one for you. One Pokemon provides the type(s) and base stats, while the other provides the moveset and ability. Also they're represented by awesome recolors, so they have that going for them. One shall win, and one shall lose (both the battle and quite possibly his temper).

Sequel videos:

---

THIS is What Another Pokemon Legends Game Could Look Like by HoopsAndHipHop

I may not be able to really enjoy Pokemon Legends Arceus because of my... well, inability to handle the real-time aspects of the boss battles (which is the polite way to say that I can't deal with playing as a teenager that's getting hit with glowing stone axes), but I do enjoy the concept and setting, and Hoops has provided a potential scenario for a Legends game set in Unova. While I really like the starter evos (and this is one of a very limited number of scenarios in which I would joyfully choose Blaziken), I do feel like the Original Dragon design is too skinny to fit the designs of the three Pokemon that purportedly came from it, and I have... issues... with the purpose of the game being to establish colonial settlements that eventually grow into the cities and towns we see in modern Unova.

No, I'm not going to spoiler tag my politics here, because this needs to be said.

Being American myself, I have the right to complain about this. There's a mention of Native American influence on the regional Blaziken's design, but other than that, no mention of Native Unovans in the video whatsoever. Given that we got the Diamond and Pearl clans in Legends Arceus, I'm pretty sure that when and if Game Freak near-inevitably does a Legends game set in Unova, I'm pretty sure they're going to create a native tribe or two to populate historical Unova. Probably including a regional Natu/Xatu line while they're at it. But what would these clans be called? The Truth Clan and the Ideals Clan? (Given the general US political climate, I know Game Freak's localization team has got to be smart enough not to call them the Black Clan and the White Clan.) Either way, while I'm sure Hoops had only good intentions with this, given the horrible injustices perpetrated against Native Americans during US history (and last I heard they're still getting a raw deal from the government), I just can't see Hoops' particular concept as anything but ethnically insensitive, and definitely not the sort of plot that Game Freak would ever want to model a game around.

---

NEW POKEMON & FINAL TRAILER! | Pokemon Legends Celebi by InfamousTrainer

Leaving off on a more positive note with the 'Legends treatment' fan concepts, we have a reaction/review of the final Pokemon Legends Celebi trailer, which incidentally also has a Fire/Electric Blaziken. While there's currently no plans to make this concept into a full game (that I know of), it does have some awesome Pokemon designs, including beta legendary beasts with Eeveelution elements, Shadow Ho-Oh, and a third member of the Lunar Duo that both ties into the storyline and creates a type trio with Cresselia and Darkrai, complete with each of them representing a phase of the moon. What's not to love?

And, of course, there is a Girafarig evolution that is absolutely perfect, but I won't spoil it here if you haven't watched the video yet. (Seriously, watch the video.)

---

A ROTOM of EVERY TYPE! by PragMagik

How many Rotom forms can the Pokemon fan community come up with for each type? Quite a lot, as it were; the title 'A Rotom of Every Type' is slightly misleading, as the video shows multiple Rotom forms for each type, with all the artists credited of course. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite, although if I absolutely had to, it would probably be the rock crystal lamp. I want one of those in my room.

---

Solving One of The STRANGEST Mysteries in Pokémon Legends Arceus by HoopsAndHipHop

So why exactly is there so much Unovan representation in Hisui? Hoops breaks down the historical reasoning behind this design decision, and also shows a bit more possible inspiration behind Enamorus, a Pokemon that just gets more and more complex the more I learn about her. (She still ugly tho.)

---

Pokemon Emerald but every Pokemon is a Fusion by Astrons

Like Pokemon fusions? I like how they can be epic, adorable, and/or cursed, depending on how they're designed. This romhack has quite a selection to check out, and the video only shows the tip of the iceberg.

---

What Pokémon Z Could Have Looked Like - Part 1 by Tam Valley Productions

The first part of a graphic novel series reimagining a grittier (and more political) Kalos. While some aspects seem a bit heavy-handed and cliche, I do like the concept of two different interpretations of the origins of Mega Evolution, which is actually pretty realistic all things considered -- there's plenty of different interpretations of historical events in the real world, and it makes sense that the pro-monarchy side would describe AZ's weapon in an entirely different light than those on the losing side.

Now I kiiiiiinda want to try to do a rewrite of the Gen 1 storyline, except I'm sort of already doing that with A Trace of Magic: Seeing Red... and I already have a lot of projects on my plate, so I should probably stick with Seeing Red.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
So.

I know I haven't been posting a lot of blog content recently, and that's not because I'm not writing it, it's because none of the stuff I've written is yet ready to post. Some of it has been working on Pokemon Tantalum mk. 2, but I won't start posting those until after ScVi's release because ScVi is looking to be a huge new step forward for the series and I'd like to see what it has to offer in terms of new gameplay content. I will say that I have ideas for another project concept tied to Pokemon Tantalum that I might get into before posting Pokemon Tantalum, but at this point I have so many running projects that I don't really want to announce any more just yet because I start more things than I finish.

Tomorrow is the day I finally start posting my Pokemon Y lorelocke, and hoo boy. At one point it was going to be a comic rather than a storylocke, but a combination of production issues and DeviantART drama made me realize it wasn't going to work out. I'm still not sure if I'm entirely happy with the introductory chapter; I may just cut out the prologue entirely and jump straight to the action. I do have a rather bad case of expositionitis, and people have mentioned that Ori's Gift could have done without its prologue (I'd like to someday go back and remaster Ori's Gift after it's finished, but it's gonna be a while before we reach that point.)

The bad news is that E3 has been entirely canceled this year due to the ongoing pandemic. The good news is that Xbox at least is still doing a presentation on June 12, and while I haven't been keeping track of what other publishers are doing, I'm guessing that others will follow suit. Personally, I'm hoping Nintendo at least gives us more of a taste of ScVi, since we haven't heard anything since the initial reveal in February. In terms of non-Nintendo games, I would like to learn more about Disney's two big upcoming games, Mirrorverse and Dreamlight Valley, which seem to be as different as night and day to each other and it intrigues me that Disney is releasing both so close together. Dreamlight Valley is the one I'd be more likely to actually play, but unfortunately it doesn't look like it's coming to Switch. Well, that's what Let's Plays were made for.

Anyway, just to prove that I have been writing things and not just saying I'm writing things, I'm going to post a little sneak preview of a game mechanic concept for Pokemon Tantalum:

Similarly to Cosplay Pikachu in ORAS, Holowear allows a Pokemon wearing it to use certain moves it couldn't use normally. Holowear also slightly boosts the wearer's stats, with the specific stat boosts depending on the Holowear type, and special Holowear will allow the user to change their Ability and/or type. Holowear also provides certain beneficial effects in Contests, depending on what type of Holowear it is. While some Holowear designs from Pokemon Unite would be used in the game, other Holowear designs would be taken from other Pokemon games and media, such as Pokemon Cafe ReMix and Detective Pikachu Holowear. Holowear can mainly be obtained by crafting or as prizes at the Game Corner, and can be dyed different colors with juice made from berries or apricorns. Below are a few sample sets.

---

Lucario line -- Holiday Holowear (Cafe ReMix)
Stat Boost: +Sp. Atk; -Speed
Learned Move: Freezy Frost
Contest boost: Beautiful
Other Notes: If Mega Evolved, Lucario with Holiday Holowear will become Fighting/Ice type.

Lucario line -- Masquerade Holowear (Cafe ReMix)
Stat Boost: +Sp. Atk; -Speed
Learned Move: Glitzy Glow
Contest boost: Clever
Other Notes: If Mega Evolved, Lucario with Holiday Holowear will become Fighting/Psychic type.

Pelipper line -- Delivery Holowear (Cafe ReMix)
Stat Boost: +Speed
Learned Move: Present
Contest boost: Clever
Other Notes: Present is altered significantly in Pokemon Tantalum to be a physical Ice-type version of Pollen Puff while still retaining the random nature of the damage it deals to foes, which makes it significantly better. Granted, anything would have made Present significantly better. I retained the random element because any Ice-type version of Pollen Puff would easily become the new meta, and I didn't want to make the move THAT overpowered. Delibird and Pelipper do deserve something special though.

Jigglypuff line -- Pastel Holowear (Pokemon Unite)
Stat boost: +Defense
Learned move: Softboiled
Contest boost: Cute
Other notes: This one would be distributed via Mystery Gift on Easter.

Yes I am aware that berry juice dyes don't make any sense for holowear being holographic please just let me have this crafting mechanic thank you.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
So I actually had an article written up for this week that I'd planned on posting today, but I wrote it in a single day and got fatigued halfway through and insisted on finishing it anyway, which means that it needs some major reworking before it's presentable, as it's mainly me spitballing ideas as they come to me without too much coherence and also involves me slapping the Dragon type on various Kanto mons that only tangentially resemble dragons (hello Lickitung). So that article is going to have to wait a bit, if I ever publish it at all. I do want to use the ideas in it, but I'm not sure if it'll be as an article or just as a reference for yet another project in my list of too many projects.

So last year I did the Apoctober art challenge (and started the Dinovember art challenge, but gave up halfway through because Apoctober had more variety and creative freedom with its prompts, but there's only so many times I can draw dinosaurs without feeling like same ol' same ol'). This year I was planning on doing Mermay alongside Subjectively, but this year Jack isn't doing Mermay, he's doing Kaijune for a change. Which made me realize that I could seriously have fun with Kaijune in that I could design Gigantamax forms for Pokemon that got the short end of the stick with the Gen 8 gimmick (looking at you, gens 2-7). Seriously, why limit one of the most gleefully broken gimmicks Game Freak has ever come up with to only the first and last gens of Pokemon, and then add Garbodor for no reason? (I mean, I actually love Garbodor, it's a fantastic garbage monster, but it does strike me as odd that it's the only Pokemon not from the Game Boy or Switch eras of Pokemon to get a G-Max form.)

A while back I noted in A Trace of Magic: Seeing Red's thread that I'd created a Lutari Neopet named Otterfall after Trace's Rattata. Well, I've done it again, naming my new Hissi Neopet after Muertonis, a legendary fakemon I posted during Apoctober who is also a character in the Secrets of Aetherai series and will appear to some degree in What Once Was Mine. If anyone's interested in looking at my disaster snek, here she is: https://www.neopets.com/petlookup.phtml?pet=Muertonis

As much as I've wanted to write the next chapter of Secrets of Aetherai: Ori's Gift, even though I know how the chapter goes by this point and have been visualizing it in my head for months now, I feel kind of... not motivated to write it. Part of it likely has to do with my chronic illness sapping my strength, but another part is that I'm afraid that if I'm not in the right frame of mind when I write it, I might botch it completely. It's a pretty important chapter IMO, with a song and everything, and I want to get it right.

Now, since I want a bit more to this article than just me talking about things I'm gonna do, so I'm going to share this really cool project by Tam Valley Productions on what a Pokemon Z game could have looked like. I've shared the first part in my most recent What I'm Watching article, but it's not really good for my creative process to limit myself to What I'm Watching articles, so I decided to just share links to this series specifically because it's awesome.

Stay cool, stay safe, and God bless you all.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
So, good news for any of you that still read my blog: my writer's block for blog articles has dissipated (for now) and I actually have a sizable backlog due to a creative burst in the past few days! Because of this, I'll be posting two articles a week for a bit instead of just one for up until I've used up my backlog.

When writing my Daily Conspiracy Pokedex, I got to tackle how Alolan Rattata and Alolan Meowth gained their Dark type. But what, specifically, makes a Dark type a Dark type? Are they truly evil (as their Japanese name implies), or are they merely misunderstood? Of course, the full answer is complicated, but first I'll go into the details of all Pokemon that change their types to or from the Dark type.

First off, several Alolan forms of Pokemon gain the Dark type where they once had none. Alolan Meowth is pure Dark, Alolan Rattata is Normal/Dark, and Alolan Grimer is Poison/Dark. Where Alolan Meowth's Dark type draws from its spoiled and brutish nature, Alolan Rattata retains its Normal type, possibly indicating that it has not 'gone bad' nearly as much as Alolan Meowth and is more a victim of circumstance (that being hunted by diurnal Gumshoos and being forced to become nocturnal and rely on dirty tricks to survive). Given that Alolan Rattata becoming nocturnal is specifically stated to play a part in its becoming Dark type, along with certain Dark-type moves being associated with the night or with space (Night Slash, Malicious Moonsault, Black Hole Eclipse), it is entirely possible that Dark Is Not Evil and that other factors such as skulking around in the dark of night can cause a Pokemon to adapt to the Dark type. This also explains why Eevee evolves into Umbreon at night, and why Umbreon is a Dark type; it's a documented fact that Umbreon in the GS Spaceworld demo was originally a Poison type that evolved from the Poison Stone (with Espeon retaining its Psychic type and evolving from the Heart Stone).

Even diet can contribute to a Pokemon adapting the Dark type; Alolan Grimer is in no way more malicious in behavior than its Kantonian cousins, and only gained the Dark type from consuming garbage rather than toxic sludge. (Yeah, honestly, I don't know how that works either, but my Alolan Muk in my Moon nuzlocke was a boss, so I'm not complaining.) Some fans believe that Guzzlord, the Dark/Dragon type, is a mutated Alolan Muk, so that might have played into Game Freak's decision to give Alolan Grimer the Poison/Dark type.

Mega Gyarados replaces its Flying type with the Dark type upon Mega Evolution, and while fans continue to be disappointed at no Water/Dragon Gyarados (despite the fact that Magikarp being available everywhere would make that broken type combination far too easy to obtain), the Dark type makes sense for Mega Gyarados because the stress of Mega Evolving causes it to be even more destructive and rampaging than usual, even shutting down most sections of its brain in favor of the uncontrollable desire to set the world on fire. (No wonder Lysandre used one!) It does however retain enough sense to obey the orders of a trainer it truly trusts.

Now we get into tricky territory, as we discuss a controversial topic among Pokemon theorists: the regional variants of the legendary birds of Kanto. I've long held that the birds of Kanto, while rare, are not single-individual species and do have a breeding population in the wild, and this was supported as early as the original Pokemon Snap, where you could photograph Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres hatching from eggs. I've been told that those games are not canon, but that was before the Galarian forms of those birds were revealed to humanity and suddenly everyone and their brother was bending over backward trying to make them fit into their pre-conceived notions of what being a legendary Pokemon meant.

What is known is that at least two different varieties of Moltres exist in the Pokemon world: a Fire/Flying type, and a Dark/Flying type. What makes this even more confusing is that both varieties are on fire... at least to the naked eye. In truth, Galarian Moltres's 'fire' is actually a dark aura that consumes the spirit of anything it touches, sapping their drive and emotion until they are mere shadows of their former selves. Hmm... dark aura... consumes spirit... Dark/Flying type... could this be the descendant of a Moltres that 'roosted' with Yveltal? I don't even want to think about how that works with Yveltal stealing life energy and Moltres literally being on fire. (They deserve each other.)

It's been long enough that I think I can safely discuss Hisuian forms in this article, and there are a lot of them that associate with the Dark type. Hisuian Qwilfish and its evolution, Overqwil, lose their Water type for the Dark type, and yet continue to live in water because they are fish and that is what they do. This is another case of a Pokemon gaining the Dark type from its diet, as it consumes poison to allow it to use the move Barb Barrage, which allows it to evolve into Overqwil (named for its freaking huge spines). I've heard of 'you are what you eat,' but apparently in the Pokemon world, eating toxic waste can make you the Dark type. And yet Alolan Rattata gained the Dark type while being considerably more picky about what it consumes, so I don't even know anymore.

Hisuian Sneasel is a Fighting/Poison type, while its modern counterpart is a Dark/Ice type. Supposedly, its environment has an effect on its typing, but in terms of behavior, Hisuian Sneasel is more of a lone wolf type than modern Sneasel, which live in packs. I'm tempted to say something about how people are stupider in groups, but this isn't actually the case with Sneasel, as Weavile are generally more intelligent than the Sneasler that evolve from Hisuian Sneasel. Is modern Sneasel a case of a Pokemon going along with the crowd and not standing up for what it believes in? Possibly, but I think that's reading too much into it.

I've covered Hisuian Zorua in my previous article, and why it makes little sense for modern Zorua to be Dark type and Hisuian Zorua not to be. I'll put what I said before in a spoiler tag so you don't have to read all the way through it if you don't want to, but here it is:

Speaking of Zoroark, I'd like to address one of the greatest mysteries of the Normal type: why and how a Dark type dies and becomes a malicious ghost that is not Dark/Ghost type, but Normal/Ghost type. To be perfectly honest, this doesn't make sense to me either. The original Zorua wasn't even all that malicious, just a timid prankster that hid behind its illusions. If anything, the original Zorua should be the Normal type and the ghost version Dark/Ghost; I mean, have you SEEN Hisuian Zoroark's Pokedex entry? "With its disheveled white fur, it looks like an embodiment of death. Heedless of its own safety, Zoroark attacks its nemeses with a bitter energy so intense, it lacerates Zoroark's own body." This is anything but healthy behavior.

However, the dex entry does make a telling reveal in its use of the word 'body.' How would a pure departed spirit have a body that's capable of being lacerated? Perhaps Hisuian Zoroark's Normal type is an indication that the Hisuian Zorua line is not pure spectral energy like more amorphous Ghost types, but is a solid enough form that even its own ghostly energy affects it. That being said, while the Normal type does seem the proper type for a normal animal that just so happens to be a ghost, it still doesn't fit the Pokedex entry, because Normal types are immune to Ghost type attacks, right?

Well, the dex entry never actually says that the 'bitter energy' is a Ghost type attack. It simply says 'bitter energy.' And it's my theory that said 'bitter energy' that Hisuian Zoroark uses is not actually a Ghost type attack, but a Dark type attack, which is the one single type that would be super effective against a Normal/Ghost Pokemon. Notably, the only Dark type attack that Hisuian Zorua/Zoroark learn via leveling up is Snarl, and I'd snarl too if everyone treated me the way that Hisuian Zorua were treated in life.

On that note, the strange case of Zorua and Zoroark decisively proves that the Dark type is not an indication of how 'evil' a Pokemon species is, as the more malicious variant of Zorua is not the variant of Zorua that is a Dark type.

Now we're getting into another case of a regional variant that lost its Dark type: the Galarian Zigzagoon versus the Hoennian Zigzagoon. This is a reverse of what happened with Alolan Rattata, where Galarian Zigzagoon was the original, had a more aggressive disposition initially, and then calmed down in less harsh environments and lost its Dark type and final evolution. Now, the example of Zorua proves that temperament alone does not determine whether a Pokemon is Dark type or not, so I'm not entirely sure of the true reason why Zigzagoon lost their Dark type, but it seems to have worked for them in Hoenn at least.

In terms of Pokemon that gain the Dark type upon evolution, Seedot becomes Grass/Dark upon evolving into Nuzleaf, possibly tied to its tendency to cause fear in people for no clear reason. (It's likely that it tries to scare people away to protect itself and its territory.) Corphish also gains the Dark type on its evolution into Crawdaunt, and some have theorized that this is mimicry in action, as Crawdaunt superficially resembles the Water/Dark type Sharpedo. The problem with this theory is that according to the Pokedex, Crawdaunt lives in ponds, while Carvahna, the pre-evolution to Sharpedo, lives in rivers. Corphish and Carvahna do not even share territory in the RSE games. While Corphish can be found on Route 117 and Carvahna on Route 118, with Mauville City in the middle, there is a distinct different in that the Corphish are found in fresh water and Carvahna are found in salt water. It could be that Crawdaunt that happened to look like Sharpedo gained some sort of advantage in their habitats, but when their habitats have not overlapped with Sharpedo habitats, how many Pokemon native to a Corphish's habitat would look at a Crawdaunt and associate them with a Sharpedo? Even if they did, they don't exactly look THAT much alike.

Skorupi loses its Bug type for Dark type when it evolves into Drapion, which could be tied to its aggressive state, but it really doesn't make sense that it loses its Bug type. (Which may be why Aaron of the Elite Four hasn't stopped using it.) Hisuian Samurott is another regional variant that gains the Dark type, and it has no sense of honor, will do anything to win a battle, and can inflict wounds that take years to heal. Is it any wonder the Dark type has such a terrible reputation?

Greninja and Incineroar are two more starter Pokemon that gain the Dark type upon final evolution, one being a ninja and one being a wrestling 'heel.' Pangoro gains the Dark type upon evolving with another Dark type in the party, and its ursine cousin Urshifu has a Single Strike Style form that is the same Fighting/Dark type as Pangoro. Continuing the Dark Is Not Evil trope, Single Strike Style Urshifu is known to banish evil rather than to be evil itself, so that further proves that the Dark type is not a simple morality check. (Urshifu is also another legendary Pokemon that there is main-series canonically more than one of, so yeah.) Hoopa Unbound is the Psychic/Dark type, but this is its original form, as opposed to Hoopa-Confined, which is Psychic/Ghost type (a 'ghost of its former self,' as it were).

So what do all of these Pokemon have in common? Not much, apparently. It seems that being the Dark type or not being the Dark type can depend on several factors, including diet and environment, and it isn't always tied to behavior. After spending some time considering the subject, I have concluded that the most likely scenario is that the Dark type is a form of energy similar to the Ghost type (many Ghost-type Pokemon have mischievous or malicious dispositions), but distinctly its own. This is proven by the unusual physiology of Galarian Moltres, which literally has this dark energy visibly pulsing from its wings. Morpeko's move 'Aura Wheel' may make use of this dark energy, as it switches from Electric type to Dark type depending on Morpeko's form, further solidifying the dark energy theory. Moves like Dark Pulse, Night Daze, and Fiery Wrath also make use of dark auras.

Other Dark-type legendary Pokemon are Darkrai (who causes nightmares not out of malice but to protect itself, but this power has been known to go too far and presumably killed a girl in Unova), Yveltal (who drains the life from everything around it), Hoopa-Unbound (a mischievous and greedy djinn), Single Strike Style Urshifu (who fights against evil rather than being evil itself), and Guzzlord (who simply wants to devour everything ever). In terms of personality, there's not much overlap, so the Dark type being tied to a type of elemental energy rather than behavior makes more sense.

Question of the day: What is your favorite Dark-type Pokemon and why? Is there any Pokemon that you think deserves the Dark type but doesn't have it? Is there a Pokemon that you think does not deserve the Dark type, but has it?

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
My favorite Dark-type is Darkrai itself! I couldn't point to one particular reason; I just find everything about it to be very cool. Impressive design, the name is fun to say, the way all its sleep mechanics tie together is very satisfying, and there's SO MUCH you can do with its lore.

Pokemon that should have the Dark-type...I maintain that the Alolan variants of Rattata and Raticate don't need to exist, because the original Kantonian variants deserved to be part Dark-type from the very outset a la Magnemite and Magneton. They're largely nocturnal species and they learn tons of Dark moves by level-up. The thought process behind Skorupi and Drapion also confuses me. Both of them look like they could be either part Bug or part Dark, so in my opinion it doesn't make much sense for them to change. I don't care which type ends up paired with Poison but I'd rather Drapion kept Skorupi's type upon evolving.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
My favorite Dark-type is Darkrai itself! I couldn't point to one particular reason; I just find everything about it to be very cool. Impressive design, the name is fun to say, the way all its sleep mechanics tie together is very satisfying, and there's SO MUCH you can do with its lore.
aDrive is currently doing a playthrough of a fangame called Pokemon Eternal Order on YouTube, and while the game's writing isn't much to write home about, it does have an interesting plot twist regarding Darkrai -- the player character's father is the leader of one of the two evil teams in the game, and the player eventually learns that Darkrai is controlling said leader from the Dream World for some reason or another (if it's been stated, I don't remember what it is) to gather Xerneas and Yveltal. I'm curious to see where that goes.

And then there's Pokemon Insurgence's take on Darkrai, in which it has an entire cult dedicated to it but Darkrai itself cannot stand the cultists and their tendency to kill their own fellow cultists as ritual sacrifices to summon it. Can't say that I blame it.

Memento

The Princess of Darkness
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
She is known to spend hours daydreaming about her stories.
My favorite dark type is probably Hydreigon. He's a little hydra baby, and he's adorable, and I will not brook any argument about it! :D Second favorite is Grimmsnarl. I just am a huge fan of demonic-looking mons to capture (Comes from my love of Dragon Quest Monsters. Devimp line fire/dark from Uranium is still one of my favorite Fakemon ever, and his evolved form (even though he needs to be level seventy-something to evolve) is so cool!) and Grimmsnarl is as close as we got to one of those.

As for a Pokemon that needed to be a dark type...Luxray, obviously? Dark moves? Looks like an early game dark Pokemon? Hell yeah, he needs to be a dark type!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
My favorite dark type is probably Hydreigon. He's a little hydra baby, and he's adorable, and I will not brook any argument about it! :D Second favorite is Grimmsnarl. I just am a huge fan of demonic-looking mons to capture (Comes from my love of Dragon Quest Monsters. Devimp line fire/dark from Uranium is still one of my favorite Fakemon ever, and his evolved form (even though he needs to be level seventy-something to evolve) is so cool!) and Grimmsnarl is as close as we got to one of those.

As for a Pokemon that needed to be a dark type...Luxray, obviously? Dark moves? Looks like an early game dark Pokemon? Hell yeah, he needs to be a dark type!
Personally, I felt like giving Luxray the Dark type was unnecessary and that it didn't really have anything lorewise to justify it. But to each their own.

So recently Bird Keeper Toby and Truegreen7 started a podcast channel called Calm Mind Podcast, in which they choose an entirely random Pokemon species to talk about and see where the conversation goes from there. I found this idea intriguing, so I decided to try something similar, using the Random Page function of Bulbapedia to select a Pokemon species to discuss and seeing where that goes. (This isn't truly random because it favors Pokemon that have more dedicated pages in the wiki due to being featured more, but what the heck, I don't mind.)

And my first selection was... Kantonian Slowpoke.

The Slowpoke line is interesting to me because while it has a split evolution and a regional variant and a split evolution of its regional variant, only one of its final evolutions has a Mega Evolution, and that's Kantonian Slowbro. I briefly touched on the topic of Mega Evolution in a Rocket's Notebook entry in Secrets of Aetherai: Ori's Gift, but I wanted to come up with ideas for Mega Evolutions for the other three Slowpoke evolutions because Wynaut.

First off, I wanted to take a look at the Slowpoke evos' current position in the metagame. Kantonian (Johtonian?) Slowking is one of the best UU defensive pivots in the game due to its bulk and Teleport/Regenerator combo, but its typing holds it back somewhat because of its weakness to U-turn and Knock Off. Galarian Slowbro works well with Calm Mind in UU's late game, and pairing its Quick Draw ability with the Quick Claw has given it a taste of infamy in that it hits first more often than not. Finally, Galarian Slowking is an OU defensive pivot pick with excellent coverage options that make it difficult for the opponent to switch into, but like its Johto cousin, is vulnerable to Knock Off.

So how would Mega Evolutions alter these Pokemon? Well, first we need good design elements for these Megas. Since Mega Slowbro emphasized the Shellder eating it alive, Mega Slowking (I'm not even going to try labeling it 'Kantonian' or 'Johtonian' at this point) would have the Shellder on its head transform to look more regal and crownlike, likely developing more ornate jewels. Since Slowking is known to wear a neck frill resembling a collar, let's build on that and give it frills that resemble royal robes. Perhaps even give it jewelry to wear that matches its shell crown. Heck, it might even achieve its lifelong dream of wearing pants.

For stats, base Slowking runs a 95/75/80/100/110/30 stat spread (HP/Atk/Def/Sp.Atk/Sp.Def/Spd). Since Slowking's thing is that it's extremely intelligent due to its symbiotic relationship with the Shellder on its head, let's boost its Sp. Atk by 50 to bring it to 150. With its new royal robes and jewelry, its defenses could take some boosts as well, so we'll give it +30 Defense and +20 Sp. Def, leaving it with a new stat arrangement of 95/75/110/150/130/30. With those defenses, keeping Regenerator would make it too broken, so I'll give it a new ability. My first instinct was Magic Bounce, but this is overused for Mega Evolutions and would make Mega Slowking even more broken in Trick Room, so I'll go for Magic Guard instead. Accomplishes the same goal of preventing damage from status conditions while not making it quite as obnoxious to go up against.

mega_slowking.png

To this day, no regional variant Pokemon have Mega Evolutions, because regional variants were introduced one generation after Mega Evolutions, and no new Mega Evolutions have been released since the generation they were introduced in. (I'm still not sure why no regional variants have G-Max forms, especially since almost every G-Max form was of either Kanto or Galar mons, but ah well.) While it would make more sense to give Galarian Slowbro and Galarian Slowking G-Max forms than Mega forms, I don't care, I'm making Mega Evolutions and no-mon can stop me.

So Mega Galarian Slowbro. I think the obvious take here is to turn its Shell Side Arm into a full-out massive cannon. The ability Mega Launcher would be very thematic here, allowing it to take advantage of Water Pulse and Heal Pulse. (I'd like to give Galarian Slowbro Dark Pulse as well for coverage options and because it works so well with Mega Galarian Slowbro's ability.) As Galarian Slowbro's base stats are 95/100/95/100/70/30, I think it makes more sense to mainly buff up its attacking stats while adding a bit more defense to keep this slow bro from being washed away. +30 to Attack and Sp. Atk, +20 to Defense and Sp. Def, for a grand total of 95/130/115/130/90/30. Granted, giving a Pokemon a BFG might seem a bit much for an all-ages game, but Blastoise and Intelleon exist, so I'm not sure what to tell you there.

...and several days after writing this article, I finally got a more family-friendly inspiration for Mega Galarian Slowbro's arm-ament: the salmon cannon. Yes, this is a real thing. Salmon cannons are pneumatic tubes set up at the base of dams to allow migrating salmon to shoot over the dams and reach their nesting grounds, and apparently they're officially spelled 'salmon canon' but I refuse to use that spelling because canons are entirely different from cannons and I'm not a huge fan of people changing the meaning of words. So my new concept for Mega Galarian Slowbro's arm cannon is that it holds an Arrokuda that it shoots at its enemies. Yes, that means that Mega Galarian Slowbro is a combination of three Pokemon: Galarian Slowpoke, Shellder, and Arrokuda.

Finally, Mega Galarian Slowking. In this form, the Shellder has taken complete control of its host and uses its powers to cast dark curses, so I'm going to take the liberty of giving Mega Galarian Slowking the Ghost/Psychic type, allowing it to use the Ghost variation of Curse on its opponents. (By controlling when it Mega Evolves, it might use both variations of Curse in a single battle.) Since this is a type set saddled with two 4x weaknesses, I feel better about giving Mega Galarian Slowking the Magic Bounce ability. Galarian Slowking's usual base stats are 95/65/80/110/110/30, and I think I'll keep its base Defense at 80 because it started as an OU mon and I don't want to make it too broken, but its Sp. Atk and Sp. Def are both raised by 50, making this spellcaster's stats 95/65/80/160/160/30. I don't know if that's enough to offset the curse of two 4x weaknesses, but set this thing up in Trick Room under the right conditions and it could be devastating. In terms of what it looks like, probably even more shadowy than usual, with dark purple robes and a darker-colored body. Giving it some form of jewelry-slash-armor with eerie gems set in it would also look really cool.

Slowpoke are, quite frankly, not one of the brightest of species, and an excellent example of why Wisdom and Intelligence are two separate stats. (The latter of which is something that Jet is always telling me, but I digress. I'm sure he means it as an insult.) While it's said that Slowpoke have incredible cosmic knowledge at their disposal (a thought which I find questionable), they tend to space out and lose their focus whenever faced with the necessity of actually doing anything with it.

This is where their symbiotic relationship with Shellder comes in.

There are three places where Shellder can attach to a Slowpoke: the head, the tail, and the forearm. Regardless of the location, Shellder venom (which is low enough in potency that Shellder are not considered the Venomous element, but still causes unique chemical reactions when injected into Slowpoke flesh) can affect a Slowpoke's brain chemistry in such a way as to clear their minds and ground them in reality.

When a Shellder latches onto a Slowpoke's arm or tail, they become a Slowbro, but retain their separate consciousnesses. A Slowking, however (or Slowqueen, depending on the gender) will have the Shellder's and the Slowpoke's minds connected together via the Esper element, and the resulting creature is usually a mixture of both individuals' personalities. This is not entirely unlike how Beldum and Magnemite will evolve by linking together in groups.

There are some occasions where a Slowpoke and Shellder duo do not link properly while creating a Slowking, subjecting the merged individual to various forms of mental illness. This can only be cured by breaking apart the Slowpoke/Shellder combination, but unlike with Slowbro, which can separate from their Shellder without much harm other than the Slowpoke reverting to what they were before, breaking apart a Slowking/Slowqueen has been known to risk permanent brain damage and/or lasting psychological trauma to both the Shellder and the Slowpoke. As such, great consideration must be taken to ensure that a Slowpoke that wishes to become a Slowking/Slowqueen finds the most suitable Shellder possible before the bonding process begins.

Any attempts to evolve a Shellder into a Cloyster while it is still attached to a Slowpoke has invariably resulted in severe physical injury to the Slowpoke, often ending in loss of life or limb. As such, it is forbidden under international law to expose a Slowbro or Slowking to a Water Stone, and doing so is considered an act of assault. Fortunately, members of the Slowpoke family generally have enough Esper power to know the location of any Water Stones in the immediate vicinity and are able to avoid them. Legend has it that there is an Essence in existence that allows a Shellder to Ascend into a powerful new evolution while not harming the Slowpoke that it is bonded to, strengthening both entities' elemental powers, but this has yet to be confirmed.

And if the Slowpoke know, they're not telling us.

QOTD: What Pokemon would you like to see get a new Mega Evolution?

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Oh, man. I can only assume that the opening of such a big can of worms had to be intentional. For the sake of time and my sanity I'm going to avoid considering which Pokemon I would like to get Megas just because they're already cool and/or powerful, and a Mega would make them even more so. (Scizor and Blaziken are the first examples in my mind who fall into this category.) Instead I'll look at Pokemon who I feel have been neglected in terms of receiving any kind of alternate form/special mechanic, and who could also genuinely benefit from a Mega. This might be either in terms of stats and battle prowess, or because a Mega would make them feel more complete and really enhance their lore. By those criteria, four species come to mind: Tauros, Dunsparce, Ledian, and Ariados.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
By those criteria, four species come to mind: Tauros, Dunsparce, Ledian, and Ariados.
If Tauros gets a Mega Evolution, I'd like to see Miltank get one as well, but given Miltank's design... quirks, let's put it this way: that might be an udder disaster.

Dunsparce definitely needs more love though, and Ledian and Ariados both getting Mega Evolutions would be great because they're two easily overlooked counterparts to each other and they certainly need the help. Regional common Bug-types have been getting more and more love/cool designs in more recent gens, meaning that the OG ones tend to fall by the wayside (Mega Beedrill and G-Max Butterfree are outliers because genwun).

Memento

The Princess of Darkness
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
She is known to spend hours daydreaming about her stories.
Honestly, I'd give Beautifly, Dustox, Mothim, Kricketune, Ninjask, Volbeat, Illumise, and Venomoth a Mega-evolution (yes, I get that it's basically every bug, but I was so inspired by Dusty and his runs that I have to give bugs a shoutout; they could be absolutely amazing in Nuzlockes, given the chance.), and I totally agree with ActiveTransport on Ledian and Ariados (especially Ledian and Ariados, the poor babies deserve all the love they can get).

I'd also give Liepard, Mightyena, and Dewgong Megas. Liepard is a mon that looks so cool but tends to fall by the wayside early on, if one even bothers to train a Purrloin. Mightyena's stats aren't the best either, and I can really imagine a Cerberus sort of Mega for it that Houndoom didn't pull off (kinda like the Mightyena evolution in Procyon/Deneb, the sequels to Vega). Dewgong could really use a Mega (I'm a huge fan of Dewgong and its defensive capabilities, but it just...falls flat on its own.)

I can imagine so many badass ideas for all of these mons, and so long as it isn't another extremely powerful Pokemon getting an evo, that's fine. Just...please, don't give Dragonite or Hydreigon one; as much as I like an Orochi idea for Hydreigon, it doesn't need the Mega. Megas should SOLELY be for mons who actually need one to stand out in a crowded field.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Liepard is a mon that looks so cool but tends to fall by the wayside early on, if one even bothers to train a Purrloin.
I love Purrloin and Liepard, but they do fall by the wayside early on, and I would like to see it get some love. I even had a concept for a Liepard evo called Usurpurr, but never actually got around to drawing it. It's one more concept on my list of Things I Want To Draw But Never Actually Draw.

antingaround

Redemption arc
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
Pokédex Entry
nuzlocke psychopath
Re: Magic Guard Mega Slowking... honestly, the only reason why double defensive boost (iron defense + amnesia) body press mega slowbro isn't used as much is because it needs Rest to prevent toxic chip. this would be totally meta-defining in singles probably. I like ghost/psychic mega gking, awful typing is offset by amazing stats and the still very good movepool and makes it an interesting sidegrade.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
So I've recently been doing a series of articles produced by clicking 'random page' on Bulbapedia until I get a Pokemon species, then writing whatever I'm inspired to write on that Pokemon. One of the options I got is Treecko, my favorite Hoenn starter (sorry Mudkip stans), and that got me thinking about the Dragon type and what makes a dragon a dragon in the Pokemon world. Real-world dragons are a wide and varied family of very divergent mythical creatures, so defining a dragon is like defining a fairy: it's just as hard to define what is a dragon as it is to define what is not a dragon. Is a basilisk a dragon? Is a coatl a dragon? At what point does a certain mythical creature become a dragon?

In hopes of addressing this dilemma, I set back out to my old friend Bulbapedia to look up various Dragon-type Pokemon and determine at what point a Dragon type becomes a Dragon type. Mega Charizard X is the most well-known, with certain conspiracy theories claiming that the Charizardite X is an artificial Mega Stone (an idea I grew to hate because someone I knew insisted that Charizard was never a dragon and kept trying to shove the theory down my throat). Mega Ampharos and Mega Sceptile likewise gain the Dragon type upon Mega Evolution (Ampharos's at least makes sense because its original Japanese name is a pun on 'electric dragon'), and Alolan Exeggutor replaces its Psychic type with the Dragon type upon evolution. And of course there's Kingdra, Vibrava/Flygon, Altaria, and Dragalge, as well as the legendary Ultra Necrozma and Naganadel.

There doesn't really seem to be all that much of a pattern to it. Some Pokemon just become dragons when they grow up (or Mega Evolve). However, as I noted within my short article on Mega Sceptile, there are two certain Gen 7 Pokemon (I can't call them Alolan Pokemon because one of them is an Ultra Beast) that gain the Dragon type upon exposure to strong light: Alolan Exeggutor and Ultra Necrozma. I go into this topic in slightly more detail in the Treecko article, but the long and short of it is that infinity energy manifests as light and that sometimes (but not always) exposure to this light makes a Pokemon a Dragon type.

But let's look at another subclass of Dragon Pokemon: the legendaries. And hoo boy. I've mentioned before that I really really REALLY want to see Game Freak lay off on making so gosh-darn many legendary Dragon-type Pokemon, because we've got eighteen types to choose from and I want more variety. For legendary Dragon types, we've got Latias, Latios, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Zygarde, Guzzlord, Ultra Necrozma, Naganadel, Eternatus, and Regidrago. So darn many! And that's not even counting that nearly every pseudo-legendary Pokemon in existence is Dragon type! Give us something new for a change, Game Freak!

However, while the bulk of these legendary dragons run the gamut in terms of powers and appearance (from time and space to truth and ideals to a literal glue wasp), the most recent entry in the legendary dragon family, Regidrago, is actually the key to understanding what makes a dragon a dragon. You see, Regidrago is made entirely of crystallized dragon energy. Dragon energy. While Regidrago's red and black color confuses me (the Soul Dew, Dragon Gem, and Dragonium Z are all various shades of blue), this does confirm that dragons in the Pokemon world are not a biological distinction like the Bug type, but a family of very different-looking creatures that all happen to be able to harness a certain type of energy. Not unlike my theory on the Dark type, but while the Dark type seems affiliated with, well, darkness (such as coming out at nighttime and even eating garbage), the Dragon type seems more affiliated with light.

Now, not all Pokemon associated with light are the Dragon type. The Helioptile line comes to mind, although I wouldn't be surprised if these reptilian creatures at some point got a Dragon-type regional variant with a regional evolution. But it seems to me that the Dragon type draws from some form of primal energy, perhaps the very energy of Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. After all, why is it that all three of the Creation Trio are Dragon types? How are Roar of Time and Spacial Rend defined as Dragon type moves? Could it be that dragon Pokemon are capable of harnessing the very powers behind the creation of the universe?

And what differentiates dragon powers from psychic powers or fairy powers? After all, the Psychic type is also highly associated with legendary Pokemon from the dawn of time -- Mew, Unown, and the Lake Trio chief among them. What makes Psychic different from Dragon? What makes Fairy immune to Dragon? How exactly is an entire type of Pokemon unable to be affected by the powers of creation itself?

...next time.

QOTD: What Pokemon do you think should have the Dragon type, but doesn't? What Pokemon do you think should not have the Dragon type, but does?

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
@SayleeK @bhelryss Golduck should be a Dragon-type.

It does seem like a shame that Gyarados was never able to acquire the Dragon-type in some form or another the way Charizard was. And if Gyarados, I think you could make a pretty good case for Milotic being a Dragon-type. Another Pokemon who comes to mind for this is Dunsparce. (I know this is about the second time in as many posts that I've brought up Dunsparce but I love it so much and Game Freak does not OTL). They also could have made base Sceptile a Dragon-type and I would not have questioned it.

Pokemon who shouldn't have the Dragon-type...yeah, I'm not buying Alolan Exeggutor being a Dragon. Altaria doesn't make too much sense to me either. I could be persuaded that Tyrantrum deserves its Dragon-typing but I want to see the logic behind that one. Honestly, there are so many memes about what constitutes a Dragon in the Pokemon universe, and for good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread