• The Writer's Locke has released it's final episode! Come celebrate a fantastic project with it's last hoo-rah.
  • The Hidden Gems Showcase (2022) is now closed. Thank you all who turned out this year! You can find all the cool content that got featured here. I hope you find a new gem to read!
  • Check out the Nuzlocke Forums Fundraiser 2022 to see how you can help support the forums, earn new badges, and more! Goal: $1201/$1500
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Don't Get Me Started: a Pokemon blog

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
In which I talk way too much about my favorite topic
OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
So, funny story -- I had the next Theorymon Thursday article ready last week, but then a Scurvy trailer dropped with a new Pokemon, and I thought, "let's wait until next week so it isn't overshadowed by the canon reveal." And so I waited a week, and another Scurvy trailer dropped, with three new Pokemon. At this point I'm like, "Okay, am I going to wait another week and hope that Game Freak isn't doing weekly reveals, or am I just gonna bite the bullet and post this?"

You can probably guess my choice.

When I was asking my friends in the Twitch Plays Pokemon lore Discord server (yes, such a thing exists in 2022) what sort of ideas they had for new Proto/Neo/Apocalypse forms of Pokemon, somebody suggested a Bug-type Paradox form. Since I'd recently rewatched PragMagik's video on a Goomy for every type, I naturally gravitated to the Goodra line. (Yes, I am aware that mollusks are not insects, but if whatever Shuckle is counts as a bug, I'll gladly grant the same power to the dragon snail. And yes, I am aware that we just got a 'proto form' of Sliggoo and Goodra in their Hisuian forms... and to this I say, I don't care. Besides, I think the concept I came up with is worthy of being deemed the common ancestor to both.)

proto_goomy.png

This little guy was based around the idea of it being the 'missing link' between the Omanyte and Goomy lines. Since Omastar as we know it died out when its shell became too big, naturally we can assume that those with smaller shells survived, and that gave me the opportunity to tie the shells in with the 'king's rock' item. Yes, these absolutely take inspiration from Dragon Quest's 'king slimes,' but they also reference a real-world variety of seashell known as the crown conch. Also, as a worldbuilder by nature, I like having an explanation as to why the king's rock even exists to begin with. (And I love the little tentacle mustache.)

proto_sliggoo.png

Of course you can't have royal Poke-mollusks without referencing the mythical Pokemon Manaphy, who is based off sea angels. Imagine these guys just floating around the Temple of the Sea from that one movie.

kingoolhoo.png

One thing I learned from my time in the Twitch Plays Pokemon collaborative storytelling community (we were once a dumpster fire, myself included, but the group has mellowed out in recent years after moving from Reddit to the aforementioned Discord server) was that any setting can benefit from the addition of eldritch horrors. ANY setting. It was about the time of our sixth run, Randomized HeartGold, when game glitches started rearing their ugly heads, including one particular sprite glitch known as Dark Helix. This led to the lore of the glitches being named "Outsiders" and being a recurring villainous force throughout the next few seasons, eventually culminating in the rise of OLDEN in Anniversary Crystal and the capture of the nightmare bird Phancero Idola in Pokemon Prism. This also led to a lot of arguments regarding 'forced lore' that I won't go into because, like I said, TPP lorewriting was a dumpster fire back then and I was hardly innocent either.

Kingoolhoo is not one of those glitches. It's about as cute and cuddly and loveable as anything based off an eldritch horror has any right to be. Actually more so, if you ask me. I'm not sorry.

neo_goomy.png

For Goomy's Neo form, I decided to take a real-world animal that by all rights ought to be a Pokemon by now but somehow isn't: the sea sheep. They are very real and very adorable sea slugs that take in chloroplasts from the food they eat and use them for photosynthesis. Since Sap Sipper is one of the canon Goomy's abilities, this felt like a natural development for Neo Goomy, and also gave me the opportunity to create a pseudolegendary line that's Grass type. (Similar to how Proto Goomy gave me the opportunity to create a pseudolegendary line that's Bug type.) I intentionally game Neo Goomy the little ears because it deserves to look like the cutest final boss in indie game history (not spoiling anyone who hasn't played Undertale yet, assuming such people exist and have not yet already been spoiled by the very vocal fanbase).

shrubbereep.png

Playing up the 'sea sheep' element, I went all-out in having fun with the design, even in the naming. I love the little derpy tongue hanging out.

algaeraph.png

I will admit, before I drew this one I did in fact lie awake at night trying to come up with a good pun name for this line's final form, and once I had the the idea to mix algae with giraffe, I couldn't say no to it. (To be fair, I lie awake at night every night.) This line is one of my favorite Paradox Form designs I've done yet, and I'm extremely happy with it. They are just so soft and happy and friend-shaped.

And now comes the nightmare fuel.

apocalypse_goomy.png

After doing Apocalypse Psyduck, I wanted to do an oil spill Pokemon to tie in with it, and guess who wound up in the woods holding the bag. Yep. These are horrifying. As polluting the environment of the only planet we've got by all rights should be. I was probably subconsciously inspired by the Blotlings from the Epic Mickey series, as I'm currently working on a massive multifandom crossover project that involves Epic Mickey elements and that you probably won't see for at least ten or fifteen years at the rate I'm going, and even when you do see it, the Epic Mickey parts won't even kick in for at least a hundred chapters. (Those last three words should say something about how massive this project actually is.)

sliggoop.png

I'm still not sure if I should have tried to make the 'shell' look more like an actual oil barrel. Clearly I am not the greatest at making geometric shapes actually look like geometric shapes, but let's just imagine the barrel is half-melted from the intense heat. (The barrel isn't actually a part of its body, which is why it's not part Steel type. It's more like a hermit crab's shell, which is to say, entirely detachable.)

sluggunk.png

My bestie Redwings, who plays competitive Pokemon, told me that this would probably be a better Corrosion user than Salazzle, since Goodra actually has bulk, but ultimately both species lines have the Fire type to hit Steel types with anyway, and only one line actually exists, so it's something of a moot point.

I love how it looks like a fire snake in a barrel. Imagine walking up to a barrel and then suddenly this enormous head made of oil with flaming horns just pops up and hisses at you. Absolutely metal.

Bonus concept:

proto_magearna.png

I'm not terribly thrilled with how this one turned out. It was based on my friend Kelcyus's idea of a Proto Magearna being a nature spirit, and I decided to model it after gourd dolls and the GS Ball, but I'm not terribly good at drawing humanlike creatures, and I feel like I failed the stylization of the concept. The shapes just don't look all that great together, and don't really feel cohesive enough or real enough to be an actual Pokemon. I was going to try to make Neo and Apocalypse forms of Magearna that were Steel/Fighting and Steel/Dark respectively, but I bowed out of that concept because I felt like having too many mythical forms made them feel less... mythical.

And that's the end of my backlog for Paradox Forms of Pokemon lines. I do have other concepts I'd like to explore, but artwise I'm currently working on the reworked starter lines for Pokemon Tantalum, and if my health permits, I would like to attempt Apoctober this year as I did last year, but possibly with a different concept than the fakemon theme I went with last year. I've recently started experimenting with a web AI called DALL-E Mini that generates cursed images based on text prompts, so that could be an interesting way to generate ideas for... AI-poctober? It's really fun to mess with.

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
I love seeing all the callbacks to canon lore. You do a great job with that. King's Rock, GS Ball, Apricorns...the Johto stan in me is squealing. Great puns for all those Sliggoo and Goodra names too.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
I love seeing all the callbacks to canon lore. You do a great job with that. King's Rock, GS Ball, Apricorns...the Johto stan in me is squealing. Great puns for all those Sliggoo and Goodra names too.
I love coming up with pun names and building on established Pokemon lore, which is why the Goomy lines were so much fun to work with. Well, that and it's Goomy and you can't go wrong with mollusks. (My first pet as a kid was a snail I found in the backyard. Sadly, the neighbor's kid accidentally dropped a jar on it.)

Last edited:
OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
My apologies for the lack of a blog article today, especially given that I haven't yet produced a reaction to the latest Scurvy trailer. I have been suffering from PTSD over an incident that happened back in April and it has affected my ability to focus.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
The latest Nintendo Direct has dropped, and while it doesn't have any new Pokemon news other than the Stadium series coming to NSO+, there was one topic that I wanted to touch on as it pertains to a controversial aspect of the Pokemon series itself.

I know that the vocal portion of the online Pokemon fanbase has long complained about the perceived drop in quality in Pokemon games over the past several years, and I'm not trying to disprove their own subjective opinions on what they like and don't like. There are definitely examples of Pokemon games that would have greatly benefited from more time in development; Diamond/Pearl, XY, and Sword/Shield among them.

And yet when I see Pikmin 4, the game thought lost in development hell forever, finally get an official announcement in a Nintendo Direct, I realize: Pokemon is not obligated to the fans to give us yearly releases. They aren't obligated to the fans to give us any releases. We are not 'owed' the Pokemon games that we want.

Now, I don't want to sound like a Pokemon shill (even if to some extent I might be). When a company sells us a sixty dollar product, the consumer naturally assumes that the product is worth sixty dollars, and if they don't think it's worth sixty dollars, they don't have to buy it. The idea that you can't judge a game unless you've played it doesn't hold water; everyone has games that they've never played and never will play because they know enough about the game without playing it to know that it's not worth their money. It is absolutely all right to not like the direction a Pokemon game goes in, to not buy the game for that reason, and to talk about your reasons for not buying that game. It doesn't mean that anyone who does buy and enjoy the game is objectively wrong, or that you have the right to shout them down, but that reasoning does go both ways. If you don't think any game is worth the money it's being charged, you have every reason not to buy it. It's your money.

And I'm not saying that Game Freak isn't under any obligation whatsoever to give us their yearly release schedule. They're a company. The purpose of a company is to provide goods and/or services in exchange for money. If they stopped making games, they'd have no reason to continue to exist as a company. I don't know the full situation between Game Freak/Creatures Inc./Nintendo on how they decide what games to make, but I do know that the anime/manga/trading card game/et cetera all greatly depend on Game Freak churning out new games, so that's probably a large determining factor in the batshit crazy release schedule we've got and that's been affecting the games' overall quality.

I'm just saying that when I watch Arlo, one of my favorite YouTubers and a massive Pikmin fan, become literally unable to say the words "Pikmin 4" in his Nintendo Direct review video because the game was thought lost in development hell forever, I realize that Pokemon fans have been spoiled compared to just about every other Nintendo franchise. Say what you want about the quality of the games we've been given, but we've still been given at least one new thing every. Freaking. YEAR. Metroid Dread was almost never made, and Metroid Prime 4 had to be restarted from the ground up and handed to Retro Studios, and we haven't heard from it since. F-Zero and the Mother series are pushing up daisies. And even The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom has been known about for a long time but we've only seen teasers and have only just found out what its NAME is.

Would the Pokemon games be better if they had a longer development time? They absolutely would, and I'm not arguing about that. But hearing Arlo's loss for words at the announcement of a game that many feared we would never hear from again... it's changed my perspective. I don't view Game Freak's ridiculous game release schedule as an universally bad concept, but more as a trade-off. Their games may not be perfection incarnate (and not every game has to be), and we as fans do have every right to (politely) discuss what we'd like to see change, but honestly?

I can't personally imagine being a Pikmin fan right now.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
QotD: What is one video game series that you want a new installment of?

SprungGeoduck

Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Beautiful
oooooh that's a really good question

for me I gotta look to my absolute favourite franchises

I'd say Burnout but Criterion got sent to the NFS/Battlefield mines by EA and I do not trust them at all to do anything good with that franchise anymore. Hell, even the spiritual successors aren't doing it for me: Dangerous Driving was a total dud and the jury's still very much out on Wreckreation

So, if I think about it, I have to go with XCOM. Chimera Squad barely counts, and it's been six and a half years since XCOM 2 came out (annoyingly, the Firaxis devs who usually handle such things seem to be focused on Midnight Suns at the moment, which tbf seems to be an XCOM game with a Marvel coat of paint on it, but still)

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
There will be no blog article tomorrow, as I will be going to an art fair with my parents for much of that day. This is Georgia in what is sadly still summer for us, so pray that we don't roast.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
So I told y'all that there would be no article today, and that hasn't changed. However, since I want to post something, I'm going to bite the bullet and reveal a bit about the next project I'm working on.

So some of you might be aware of a little nuzlocke I've been working on called Secrets of Aetherai: Ori's Gift. What you aren't aware of is that now that the first major arc is (almost) complete, I recently made the decision to adapt the plot and characters to an original universe concept and set out to publish the thing. It's gonna take some time to rework the nearly eighty chapters I've written so far over the course of the past three years, and obviously I can't post the rewrite on the forums if I expect to sell it, but here are a few bits of the story bible (currently a WIP) for your perusal. Be aware that these notes contain some spoilers for Ori's Gift.

Rocket Trail the Foxen/Wolven hybrid (fennec fox/black wolf)
Mundane element
Thirteen seasons old
He/him

A studious young researcher with a heart for adventure and a sarcastic sense of humor. Wants to venture beyond Pawprint Town and see the world, despite the threat of the wraiths (which he, being a teenager, thinks he can handle because he's obviously invincible). Later learns that he is a Kitsune, part of an ancient race of Foxen with the ability to channel the ancient elements through their multiple tails, and thus has the ability to wield several elements at once. He sets out to find the Wellsprings (nexuses of elemental power) that have become wraith Strongholds so he can harness their elemental power and wield his birthright. Leader of the adventuring group known as the Trailblazers.

As a Foxen, Rocket is clever and intelligent, and also has a tricksterish sense of humor. He and Bella get on well together, although he has something of a friendly rivalry with the more serious Jet, who rivals him in his classes. While he's a bit larger than your average fennec fox due to having a wolf parent, he's still rather on the short side for a Foxen.

Jet Black the Corvidae (raven)
Aerial element
Thirteen seasons old
He/him

One of Rocket's best friends and often times the sole brain cell of the group. Jet is probably the most rational of the quartet, constantly assessing situations and warning his friends of the potential and very probable dangers of whatever they're about to do. He can be somewhat stiff and serious at times, which brings him into conflict with Rocket and Bella, who think it wouldn't kill him to have some fun. Tries to fit everything he experiences into neat little boxes inside his head, which is a trait he has to unlearn when the Eldritch Good chooses him as His prophet and sends him and his friends on a quest that will teach them to unlearn everything they thought they knew. Eventually gets captured by the Four Kings and sent to the Nevermoor for 're-education,' during which he learns the full hideous truth of the Kings' brainwashing/manipulation of Gatto and of the pure evil that they seek to reawaken to gain control over the entire world.

Jet's friendship with Rocket is biologically significant, as wolves and ravens have a symbiotic relationship in real life. Also, both Rocket and Jet enjoy the smell and taste of carrion, although certain other species find this repugnant and Jet tries to not bring it up in polite company (Rocket doesn't care).

Bella Bramblepaw the Kitticact (cactus cat)
Flora/Kinetic element
Thirteen seasons old
She/her

Spike's twin sister and easily the more outgoing and adventurous of the two. She constantly seeks stimulation and will cause trouble if left alone. Probably has a crush on Rocket or vice-versa.

Spike Bramblepaw the Kitticact (cactus cat)
Flora/Kinetic element
Thirteen seasons old
He/him

Bella's twin brother and the more bashful/introverted of the two. Something of a 'scaredy cat' and often relies on his sister's protection/guidance when dealing with difficult or dangerous situations. Sticks with her because he can't imagine having to face the world without her, which eventually he has to do.

Rosalee Trail the Foxen (fennec fox)
Mundane element
Middle-aged adult
She/her

Her husband, a black Wolven named Atom Trail, disappeared on an expedition to Mirren shortly before Rocket was born. The panic of losing her mate caused Rosalee to miscarry most of her pups (which were born premature from induced labor due to them growing too large for her to carry them), and Rocket is her sole surviving cub. She worries about losing him, too, making her somewhat overprotective.

Insectoid. Named for the general appearance of most monsters of this element, although it applies to similar monster types like arachnids and crustaceans as well. Monsters of this element are able to influence insect life around them as a form of attack, and often use the element to power up attacks from claws and stingers as well. Some Insectoid attacks can be used to poison or paralyze the opponent, but the element is not solely affiliated with offense; certain Insectoids possess other traits such as flying high, dodging attacks, spinning silk, and creating sweet honey that can heal wounds or cure ailments.

Venomous. An element associated with a wide variety of chemical compounds and gases, most of them dangerous. Venomous attacks can melt through a foe's defenses, hindering their effectiveness and inflicting a wide variety of lingering aftereffects. However, despite the name, some Venomous abilities include the capacity to create harmless or even beneficial compounds for various purposes, and many Venomous monsters have the capacity to create medicines or other helpful concoctions for practical use. Some Venomous monsters can even sense the presence of poison on an object and counteract the poison to make it safe for other monsters to handle.

Spectral. Monsters of this element draw their power from the Shadowlands and are capable of manipulating extradimensional matter, which often manifests as a shadowy aura. Different styles of Spectral attacks have the capacity to burn, freeze, paralyze, poison, confuse, or otherwise harm the opponent, even draining their life force to heal the user. Other known Spectral talents involve the ability to phase through walls or transmute oneself into shadow to lurk unseen. The most potentially dangerous Spectral attack, Payback, will reflect whatever damage the user has taken onto the target, and has been most famously used by dying monsters to take their foe with them.

Darkling. An element born of negative emotions; not necessarily 'evil' emotions, but emotions that cause pain to oneself or others when expressed. Many Darkling attacks are considered sneaky or underhanded, but others consider the Darkling element to be associated with justice and retribution. Monsters of the Darkling element are often looked down on or even feared and hated by monsters of other elements, and it was only recently that the Four Kings have allowed Darkling element monsters to associate freely with the rest of Gatto.

WaterSausage

Some watery grass flower
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 5, 2022
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
Him/They
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
An exemplary specimen of the genus Typha. This one's embraced their feline association.
So I told y'all that there would be no article today, and that hasn't changed. However, since I want to post something, I'm going to bite the bullet and reveal a bit about the next project I'm working on.

So some of you might be aware of a little nuzlocke I've been working on called Secrets of Aetherai: Ori's Gift. What you aren't aware of is that now that the first major arc is (almost) complete, I recently made the decision to adapt the plot and characters to an original universe concept and set out to publish the thing. It's gonna take some time to rework the nearly eighty chapters I've written so far over the course of the past three years, and obviously I can't post the rewrite on the forums if I expect to sell it, but here are a few bits of the story bible (currently a WIP) for your perusal. Be aware that these notes contain some spoilers for Ori's Gift.

Rocket Trail the Foxen/Wolven hybrid (fennec fox/black wolf)
Mundane element
Thirteen seasons old
He/him

A studious young researcher with a heart for adventure and a sarcastic sense of humor. Wants to venture beyond Pawprint Town and see the world, despite the threat of the wraiths (which he, being a teenager, thinks he can handle because he's obviously invincible). Later learns that he is a Kitsune, part of an ancient race of Foxen with the ability to channel the ancient elements through their multiple tails, and thus has the ability to wield several elements at once. He sets out to find the Wellsprings (nexuses of elemental power) that have become wraith Strongholds so he can harness their elemental power and wield his birthright. Leader of the adventuring group known as the Trailblazers.

As a Foxen, Rocket is clever and intelligent, and also has a tricksterish sense of humor. He and Bella get on well together, although he has something of a friendly rivalry with the more serious Jet, who rivals him in his classes. While he's a bit larger than your average fennec fox due to having a wolf parent, he's still rather on the short side for a Foxen.

Jet Black the Corvidae (raven)
Aerial element
Thirteen seasons old
He/him

One of Rocket's best friends and often times the sole brain cell of the group. Jet is probably the most rational of the quartet, constantly assessing situations and warning his friends of the potential and very probable dangers of whatever they're about to do. He can be somewhat stiff and serious at times, which brings him into conflict with Rocket and Bella, who think it wouldn't kill him to have some fun. Tries to fit everything he experiences into neat little boxes inside his head, which is a trait he has to unlearn when the Eldritch Good chooses him as His prophet and sends him and his friends on a quest that will teach them to unlearn everything they thought they knew. Eventually gets captured by the Four Kings and sent to the Nevermoor for 're-education,' during which he learns the full hideous truth of the Kings' brainwashing/manipulation of Gatto and of the pure evil that they seek to reawaken to gain control over the entire world.

Jet's friendship with Rocket is biologically significant, as wolves and ravens have a symbiotic relationship in real life. Also, both Rocket and Jet enjoy the smell and taste of carrion, although certain other species find this repugnant and Jet tries to not bring it up in polite company (Rocket doesn't care).

Bella Bramblepaw the Kitticact (cactus cat)
Flora/Kinetic element
Thirteen seasons old
She/her

Spike's twin sister and easily the more outgoing and adventurous of the two. She constantly seeks stimulation and will cause trouble if left alone. Probably has a crush on Rocket or vice-versa.

Spike Bramblepaw the Kitticact (cactus cat)
Flora/Kinetic element
Thirteen seasons old
He/him

Bella's twin brother and the more bashful/introverted of the two. Something of a 'scaredy cat' and often relies on his sister's protection/guidance when dealing with difficult or dangerous situations. Sticks with her because he can't imagine having to face the world without her, which eventually he has to do.

Rosalee Trail the Foxen (fennec fox)
Mundane element
Middle-aged adult
She/her

Her husband, a black Wolven named Atom Trail, disappeared on an expedition to Mirren shortly before Rocket was born. The panic of losing her mate caused Rosalee to miscarry most of her pups (which were born premature from induced labor due to them growing too large for her to carry them), and Rocket is her sole surviving cub. She worries about losing him, too, making her somewhat overprotective.

Insectoid. Named for the general appearance of most monsters of this element, although it applies to similar monster types like arachnids and crustaceans as well. Monsters of this element are able to influence insect life around them as a form of attack, and often use the element to power up attacks from claws and stingers as well. Some Insectoid attacks can be used to poison or paralyze the opponent, but the element is not solely affiliated with offense; certain Insectoids possess other traits such as flying high, dodging attacks, spinning silk, and creating sweet honey that can heal wounds or cure ailments.

Venomous. An element associated with a wide variety of chemical compounds and gases, most of them dangerous. Venomous attacks can melt through a foe's defenses, hindering their effectiveness and inflicting a wide variety of lingering aftereffects. However, despite the name, some Venomous abilities include the capacity to create harmless or even beneficial compounds for various purposes, and many Venomous monsters have the capacity to create medicines or other helpful concoctions for practical use. Some Venomous monsters can even sense the presence of poison on an object and counteract the poison to make it safe for other monsters to handle.

Spectral. Monsters of this element draw their power from the Shadowlands and are capable of manipulating extradimensional matter, which often manifests as a shadowy aura. Different styles of Spectral attacks have the capacity to burn, freeze, paralyze, poison, confuse, or otherwise harm the opponent, even draining their life force to heal the user. Other known Spectral talents involve the ability to phase through walls or transmute oneself into shadow to lurk unseen. The most potentially dangerous Spectral attack, Payback, will reflect whatever damage the user has taken onto the target, and has been most famously used by dying monsters to take their foe with them.

Darkling. An element born of negative emotions; not necessarily 'evil' emotions, but emotions that cause pain to oneself or others when expressed. Many Darkling attacks are considered sneaky or underhanded, but others consider the Darkling element to be associated with justice and retribution. Monsters of the Darkling element are often looked down on or even feared and hated by monsters of other elements, and it was only recently that the Four Kings have allowed Darkling element monsters to associate freely with the rest of Gatto.
Hi! Long time lurker here, I loved your story and I will definitely patiently wait for future developments! Take your time, you're doing great!

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
I know it's been a while since the last Scurvy trailer dropped and I somehow STILL haven't written out my thoughts on it, but I don't really have much of an organized take on it. Let's Go mode sounds like it would've been good for a game with actual grinding (something that the newer games simply haven't had), but given that you can visit any area of the map at any time, it could be good for preparing weaker mons for stronger areas. Just... I'm not personally a fan of it because I don't buy Pokemon so that the game can play itself.

I've been playing a lot of Disney Dreamlight Valley since it came out, and my current impressions are that it's good, but they should not have charged us money for early access aka bug testing. Even given the monetization benefits of buying the early access packs, I'm not thrilled with the idea of selling a buggy and incomplete version of a game that will eventually become free to play. Personally, I happened to have enough Nintendo eShop points to get the cheapest version free, so I didn't actually have to spend any money, but still. (Also Mother Gothel is one of the villagers, and she ranks only slightly higher than Magica de Spell to me, and that's only because Magica de Spell is objectively worse in every way. I do not look forward to developing anything remotely resembling a 'friendship' with Mother Gothel. I do hope this means that Rapunzel is showing up soon, though. And Ursula? Please stop suddenly showing up in the water every time I go fishing. Seriously, it's kind of creepy.)

Speaking of Magica de Spell, the Disney XD YouTube channel is slowly uploading DuckTales '17 season one episodes, so if you've wanted to get into the series but don't have a Disney+ subscription, now's probably the time to check it out. I could probably write an entire article about how much I vibe with Webby's arc in Daytrip of Doom (anyone who thinks Webby is a Mary Sue has never watched this episode), and Season One is the season where we see the most of Lena, who is Best Girl. (We also see why I hate Magica de Spell so much. LEAVE LENA ALONE!)

I've also been working on the backbone of a potential superproject that could take ages to complete and would take up a lot of my time and energy (I have plenty of time but not so much energy), and right now, I'm trying to decide if it's worth attempting or if it'd just detract from the multitude of other projects I have going right now. It's hard to balance my ADHD mind's desire to start new projects with my chronic fatigue and anxiety's interference with my ability to even complete the projects I already have going, and that's a daily struggle for me. Without going into details, this particular project would take years to complete, and I'm kind of afraid of looking like a fool if I give up halfway through. Any thoughts?

Oh, and by the way, Twitch Plays Pokemon is playing Pokemon Star on October 15. Even with the overworld model swaps turned off (RIP Lillie Valley), it is still an extremely cursed romhack, so if you want to see Twitch chat get exposed to cringe... October 15. Be there. Or don't. Honestly, I don't blame you if you don't.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
So as a bit of an update, the blog post schedule is likely to change now that I'm taking steps towards my future that involve me being busy on Saturdays. I'm probably not going to have a new article tomorrow, just so you're aware; while there was new information on Scurvy dropped earlier this week, I'm not sure there's really anything to be said about it that hasn't already been said, so I don't think I could justify an entire new article on it.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
So today was a day that happened. For whatever reason, Nintendo decided to drop a new Pokemon trailer and the very first trailer for the upcoming Mario movie, and I'm here to talk about both. Spoilers will abound, so I'll tag each part of the article separately.

So I'll be honest: I did not expect the opening sequence to go THAT HARD. I know Bowser is a terrifying fire-breathing monster that likes to hang out in terrifying stone fortresses built over magma, but movie Bowser threatening an entire kingdom of adorable penguins in his fire-bombing airship is something else entirely. This is a Mario movie -- a Mario movie -- and I was expecting something a bit more colorful and cutesy for the opening, but no. Illumination drops us right into Bowser's fury and shows the utter incapacity of the cute little ice world residents to even try to stop him from stealing, of all things, the power-up that makes him invincible.

Yeah. Anyone who remotely knows anything about the Mario series can tell that this is trouble.

And then the scene switches to Mario popping out of a warp pipe and, evidently from his reaction, seeing the Mushroom Kingdom for the very first time. We see him wonder at the 'we're not in Brooklyn anymore' mushroom forest, see him meet Toad, watch them head off towards the castle... and then we see Luigi in his first (and most assuredly not his last) terrifying encounter with the undead, which I think was a nice touch.

I'm gonna level with you: I am not expecting the Mario movie to be great art. This is Illumination we're talking about; great art is not what they are known for. But in all honesty? I don't watch Illumination movies for artistic value, I watch them to have a good time. Sing 2 had an entirely nonsensical plot (Buster Moon should have been arrested at several points in the storyline and one of the characters goes so far as to acknowledge it), but I still enjoyed the heck out of it. And regardless of the quality level of this particular film, somehow I know I'm gonna enjoy the heck out of this one too.

So there's a lot to unpack here, and I'll just cover the stuff that really stood out to me.

First off, Farigiraf. I love that name. I love the concept. I love how it looks like it's wearing a Chain Chomp hoodie. I love that Girafarig is finally getting an evolution after being introduced all the way over in Gen 2. In terms of how that evolution actually works in-universe, my inner worldbuilding gremlin is certain that there's some sort of biological explanation, and my hypersensitive squick meter is saying that it probably involves body horror and I don't want to think too deeply about it. But, hey, it looks like it's wearing a Chain Chomp hoodie, so all is forgiven.

Pokemon Picnics are pretty cool, and the ability to wash your Pokemon a la Pokemon Refresh is pretty sweet; I really missed that aspect from Gen 7. (Gen 8's camping mechanic never really stuck with me.) I'm gonna have to try out the sandwich-making mechanic to tell if I like it or not, but I will note that it is now officially canonical that the Pokemon universe has ham in it. There is as of yet no word on whether this ham comes from regular old pigs, or if Lechonk has reason to fear us.

As someone who's never gotten past the first boss in Legends Arceus due to her entirely rational fear of being hit with axes, I have to say, I love that there's a legit crafting system in Scurvy using items that certain Pokemon drop in battle. I actually had that concept for Pokemon Tantalum, and seeing it manifest in a real, legitimate, Game Freak created Pokemon game is pretty sweet, even if it is just TMs. And I feel like it makes TMs feel more earned than just letting TMs be infinite use.

Now for the more negative points. The character creation options are pretty cool, but honestly, the one thing I really want in Pokemon character creation (which may still be an option, we don't know yet, but it certainly wasn't shown in this trailer) is the ability to choose one's skin tone from a gradient rather than having only a small handful of options. Human skin tones are very diverse, and if the player character represents the player, then allowing the player more agency over the character's appearance is only a good thing. (Also I love the photo app for the photo op.)

Also, I've noticed in a couple of scenes that pop-in occurs at some points, and sometimes the framerate gets choppy. If this happened in an early reveal trailer, I'd at least have the hope that the footage was not final and that the graphics quality would improve before the final release. However, with less than two months before Scurvy makes it to the public, somehow I don't think that all of these issues are going to be fully resolved by the release date. It won't make the game unplayable; I enjoyed and still enjoy LGPE and SwSh very much despite their flaws. Still, it's another example of why I think Game Freak needs to just not do yearly releases and put at least a bit more polish into their games. Granted, Pokemon games print money anyway, so they probably don't have too much corporate motivation to shed the yearly release model and do what the vocal portion of the online community wants... but as a part of that vocal portion, I would definitely like to see that happen.

Overall, though, this trailer still left me excited for Scurvy's release.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
So today I'd like to draw your attention to a couple of new monster taming games: one an all-new IP in production by the creators of Pokemon Xenoverse, and one a full-fledged Emerald romhack done in the style of a roguelike.

LumenTale: Another Story, formerly known as Project Animon, is a 2.5D monster taming RPG set in its own universe and with its own creatures, the Animons, who are divided into several elements and five additional 'classes' (not the game's term) based on the emotional reactions they inflict on others. This can be seen in Lampecko's becoming 'estatic with joy' and a few seconds later in another battle entirely when another Animon becomes too scared to move -- which the Pokemon universe would call a flinch.

I have been excited about this game since I first heard of it, and the concept of Animon being grouped by emotional states has made it the number one contender for basing a certain nuzlocke concept around. I had this idea a while ago for a storylocke based around a Persona/Psychonauts like concept where the heroes are working at a mental health facility where they actually enter the minds of their patients and do battle with the personifications of the issues that the patients are suffering from. As someone who's dealt with mental illness and neurodiversity issues all of her life, and who has a brother who studies psychology as a hobby, this is a very interesting topic for me, although I must admit I'll probably need to do a lot more research before writing so I can be sure to get the issues right. The long and short of it is that a Pokemon-like game where the monsters all canonically have psychological effects on those around them is perfect for a concept like this.

Now, I've been saying for a while that I've wanted the Pokemon series to use a 2.5D artstyle. Gen 5 was, to me, the pinnacle of main series art design, and while XY had some very nice set pieces in the overworld (and I very much enjoyed the Team Flare grunts' losing animations), the Pokemon models simply didn't carry the same charms as the previous gen's animated sprites. However, I must admit that while I'm happy to see LumenTale adopt a very similar artstyle to what I've wanted Pokemon to have for years, the end result is... not quite as great as I'd thought it would be. The overworld is beautiful, the sprites are expressive, but the two of them don't really fit as well together as I'd hoped, and the townsfolks' idle animations are not great. Since this game is after all a work in progress -- and will be on Kickstarter this December -- I do hold out hope that the graphics are not final and the developers will take customer feedback into account while polishing this game.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald Rogue - The PokéCommunity Forums (pokecommunity.com)

I was informed of this hack's existence by a video in my YouTube feed, and it sounds pretty interesting. You like randomized games? You like permadeath challenges? Then do I have a game for you. Sadly there is no story in this game (it's kind of difficult to have one in a game where everything is random), but a proper storylocker could no doubt craft a compelling narrative from the Mankey-typewriters of the RNG seed. If anyone decides to nuzlocke this game on the forums, please tag me in the initial forum post, as I'd love to see it happen. (I don't do romhacks because those involve roms and emulation and fancy quasi-legal computer stuff that I don't want to have to struggle through.)

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Oh wow, that Roguelike Emerald sounds amazing, and I guess nuzlocking will add extra challenge but in a sense isn't necessary as it has pemradeath right?

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Oh wow, that Roguelike Emerald sounds amazing, and I guess nuzlocking will add extra challenge but in a sense isn't necessary as it has pemradeath right?
Yep! Although the 'only get the first encounter in each area' would make it even tougher, especially considering how strong the bosses are.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
So guess who's got two thumbs, gastritis, and mild anemia as well? YEP. I've got yet another diagnosis to add to my list of problems. I spent most of this week in bed, but have been feeling a bit better today thanks to making necessary dietary changes to help me produce those necessary healthy red blood cells (RIP chocolate), but I still don't actually have a blog article for today.

So, instead, I'm going to share my notes on a potential Proto/Neo/Apocalypse series for a certain single-stage Pokemon.

Context: BP-Bludgeon of YouTube recently did a video (strong language warning) in which he turns his fears (childhood and adulthood) into Ultra Beasts. I thought this was a cool idea, and one of my most... unusual childhood fears was of certain Sesame Street muppets, which I would have recurring nightmares about. (I really should have told my parents about this so they could at least stop giving me the Sesame Street bedsheets.) Rather than an Ultra Beast, this concept led me to conceptualize what Proto, Neo, and Apocalypse Mimikyu might look like!

Proto Mimikyu
Ghost/Ground type
Lives within a clay figure resembling Baltoy/Claydol

Neo Mimikyu
Electric/Fairy type
Resembles an electronic Pikachu toy, possibly a Rumble wind-up model. Much more cheerful than vanilla Mimikyu. May have a 'Five Nights At Freddy's' vibe to it.

Apocalypse Mimikyu
Ghost/Poison type
Resembles a tentacled Eldritch abomination (possibly 'outsider kitten'); its disguise has been torn to shreds and it wears the Pikachu head over its own head like a hoodie

(Note: 'Outsider kittens' were a running gag in my old RP group, being normal kittens photoshopped to look like multi-eyed Eldritch abominations. I've wanted to make a Pokemon based off this concept for a while, and I might just do so this Heckoween.)

Any thoughts? Ideas? Criticisms? (Maybe don't criticize the art until I actually sit down and draw it.) None of these concepts actually resemble Sesame Street muppets, but the idea of haunted items that resemble what could conceivably be living creatures (or at least pass for them in a puppet show) does fit Mimikyu's disguise gimmick pretty well imo. But I'd like to hear what y'all think!

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
SPOILER WARNING: This article centers around a recent Gen 9 reveal. Proceed with caution.

So earlier this week a trailer dropped for the new Ghost-type Pokemon Greavard, an adorable doggo that loves to play but has the unfortunate effect of draining the life energy from those who play with it. Its most notable feature (aside from its large jaws and massive floof) is that, unlike any other dog Pokemon (that isn't Terastalized into a Fire type, at least), it has a candle on its head. Why a candle? Well, I have a bit of a theory about that.

You see, Greavard's whole thing is that it buries itself underground with only its candle sticking out, but it's never really explained why -- just that it waits for a person to approach and then jumps out and barks at them. However, I strongly suspect that Greavard's noticed similarity to Litwick -- both being Ghost-type Pokemon with candle-like appearances -- isn't merely a case of unrelated species resembling each other because it's advantageous, like Diglett and Wiglett. No, I think that Greavard's candle and tendency to hide itself underground is similar to that of the anglerfish's titular lure. While this has not been in any way official confirmed, I sincerely believe that Greavard uses its candle to attract wild Litwick, which it then devours with its massive jaws.

NatureIsSoFascinating_1143.jpg

Yes, even ghosts have their predators.

On that note, Greavard is an adorable floofer and I want to name mine Zero after Jack Skellington's dog, which is also a ghost with a light on its head. Just in a different position.

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
That's a fascinating idea, and not something I ever would have considered. The exact nature of Ghost-type Pokemon in relation to other Pokemon and the world as a whole seems very inconsistent. I suppose it would make sense for them to have evolved (in the Darwinian sense) alongside other Pokemon, forging predator/prey and other relationships.

Its cuteness and my general affinity for Ghost-types aside, I really can't bring myself to like Greavard. Its whole concept is just too awkward and nonsensical. The anglerfish theory is a good one, but turning that into a dog with a candle doesn't seem like a coherent execution of the concept at all. It really doesn't look like anything more than a dog with a Litwick superglued onto its head.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
I'm the opposite; the 'out-there' nature of the Pokemon is what attracts me to it. Even if it becomes a fire hazard every time it rolls over...

And yeah, I love thinking of how different Pokemon species interact with each other on the food chain. Way back in Gen 6 days I had a theory that the Honedge on Kalos Route 6 fed off of Espurr's psychic energy and that the Espurr allowed them to do so because otherwise they had so much innate psychic power that just opening their ears would cause a devastating shock wave that would destroy everything around them.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Spoiler warning: this post contains discussion on Pokemon Scarlet and Violet.

Two weeks.

Just two weeks until Pokemon Scarlet and Violet release.

I'd initially wanted to complete the Gen 3 Datalocke rules before the release of Scurvy, but ultimately there's not much point to that. People aren't going to be starting Gen 3 datalockes when Scurvy releases, they're going to be playing Scurvy. Besides, once Scurvy's out and a whole bunch of Pokemon get new Pokedex entries, new evolutions, and new regional forms, I'm just gonna have to head back and make new data rules for everymon I've already got listed, so trying to crunch to complete Gen 3 in two weeks is only going to make the job that much harder for no good reason.

For Scurvy, I'm gonna try something a little different and actually try to experience the game as blind as possible (aside from the stuff I already know). This means I'm going to have to miss Twitch Plays Pokemon's run of Scarlet, which is a real shame, but it also means I get to see if Game Freak can actually pull off introducing a twist villain that's neither impossible to guess (like in Legends Arceus) or painfully obvious (like literally any other twist villain they've ever done in a main series game). This does mean I'm going to have to do something about my YouTube addiction, since spoilers get clicks, but everything has its trade-offs.

While I've been sorely tempted to attempt a blind nuzlocke, my past experiences attempting blind nuzlockes of games I've never played have never gotten anywhere, and besides, I want to see what all the new Pokemon evolve into, and I can't do that if 1. I'm limited to my first encounter in each area and 2. they're all dead. Also, I'm not sure how well a blind nuzlocke would go in Scurvy, given the three different story paths and the entirely open world structure.

Anyway. While I've been waiting for Scurvy to come out, I've been playing Pokemon Showdown's random metagame of the month, which is Shared Power in Gen 4. Now, while I like the metagame's concept (which is that all of your Pokemon share the abilities of any of your Pokemon that you've sent out thus far), it's wasted in Gen 4, which is the gen before most Pokemon got any of the really good abilities. In addition, the randomized nature of this metagame means that it's a grab bag of whether or not you'll actually get anything good, like the one time my poor bestie Redwings1340 had to fight a Wonder Guard, Speed Boost, Levitate Metagross that wasn't weak to Ghost or Dark moves. That is not fun when you're on the wrong end of it.

I won't spoil what kind of new Pokemon just got leaked from a Pokemon GO datamine, as some of you may be sensitive to spoilers, but I will say that I am reminded of the introduction of Meltan and how much fun that was. This one doesn't seem quite so much fun, largely because Meltan was introduced at a point in time when we weren't expecting any new Pokemon and there were no known prior leaks of Meltan beforehand, so none of us knew what was going on, while this particular leak is of a Pokemon that Riddler Khu has hinted at months in advance, so it's not really the same situation at all even if you don't take into account that using Pokemon GO to reveal a new Pokemon has already been done. (Also I don't know how I feel about the leaked Pokemon's design, but I won't go into details as details would be spoilers and such.)

As for how I'm doing personally, my doctor wants me to have a fasting blood test to see if they can figure out anything from that. Unfortunately, my dad's car is in the shop and they'll have to keep it for a couple of weeks, so we've only got one car at my house and that means I won't be able to get my blood test scheduled until we get the second car back. Not that I'm looking forward to having a fasting blood test, but I am looking forward to getting it over with and hopefully knowing more about whatever the heck is wrong with me. Prayers are always appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread