• Drumroll please... The results for the 2020 Nuzforums Extravaganza are up! Congrats to all our participants and our winners this year for the 10th anniversary! #HappyNuzYear
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Nuzlocke General Do you prefer 6-mon teams or rotation teams?

Thread Description
What's your playing style? Large teams or small teams?

SirKillalot98

Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 27, 2019
Pokémon Type
Water, Flying
Mostly 6 mon teams. Unless a mon is constantly behind or severe type disadvantages, I don't change the team.

Mattman324

Blame this on the misfortunes of your birth.
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
YUUSHA
Pokémon Type
Electric, Steel
Pokédex Entry
KITA KITA KITA
usually i just go with six pokemon because when i do runs where the whole box gets in on things it tends to slow the run down enough that i lose interest

which isn't to say i've not beaten games with 30+ member teams

it's just not as common

Killjoy

Oops! All Unova!
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
the ride never ends, and crying is not an emergency
I like having many trained Pokemons in the box, just to always have some backup when things in my current team go sour. Usually around the mid-late game I had pretty set in stone team, and only swaps them against gym leaders, when some members don't have good typing against it or moves.
Bad ability, lacking moveset or bad nature usually don't really matter for methe when training before fully set team. Unless Pokemon is really fragile (Dry Skin Paras. My bane of the existence.).

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
I generally stick to 6 and train others only after a death or if I feel a member switch for the Elite Four is a better idea. Half the time I spend most of the midgame using only 5 Pokemon in earlier gens since grinding gets so bad.

Emperor ServingSpoon

The original AND the 16th!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Adept at procrastination. If he ever seems productive, it's likely because he's ignoring something far more important.
I'd generally stick to a 6 mon team in earlier generations, but I'm fairly likely to end up with at least a few rotating members in both Gen 6 and 7. I've been playing a lot of limited runs lately (whether that be limited around types or colours), and in those kinds of runs it's especially handy to be able to make use of every Pokemon available to you, so I've had a lot of rotating members in those, too.

That said, narrowing those down to only 6 for the Elite 4, etc. is often really hard to do! Vikavolt ended up on my Ultra Sun Elite 4 team primarily because I felt bad for boxing my Vikavolt/Charjabug in every other Alola run I've done, and I still wish I could have brought Carbink in for one of them, since it's always been really useful up until then! And there were at least 6 members left off my Elite 4 team in my Y Grasslocke that were super reliable teammates, too! The cut is always hard... (But better that than unnecessary deaths before then!)

Reactions: Dee

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a master of having too many projects at the same time. Also, Pikablu.
Well, usually I just go with a team of 6, occasionally slipping into rotations of 7 or maybe 8 whenever I catch something I really want to use. Most of the time, unless I'm playing very cautiously, one of the rotation mons ends up dying and I'm back to 6 again. So, yeah, not a big fan of rotation teams, considering something tends to go wrong whenever I try one.

Snow Peregrine 0

Sinnohoan Talonflame (Talonfrost? Talonfreeze?)
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 19, 2019
Deep beneath the cover of another perfect wonder
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Ice
Pokédex Entry
An ice-type subspecies of Talonflame that is found in Sinnoh. It is socially awkward as all hell.
I rotate my team based on what I'll need coming up (like prepping for gyms) and what's useful/strong in general.

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
I used to only use 6 'mons, but eventually I had a run where I had 7 solid teammates, so I started a rotation there. Now it seems like I usually have a rotation of 7-8, sometimes 9 or even 10.
And don't get me started on wonderlockes...I have one right now where I have a 12-mon rotation, which is probably gonna be 14 soon...help me

SweatingCalendar

Alligator lizards in the air, in the aaaaaiiiiiirr
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 24, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Pokédex Entry
Pokémon[a] is a series of video games developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company as part of the Pokémon media franchise
In nuzlockes I always rotate 'mons in and out for the situation at hand because while I hate to spend an hour grinding 2-3 pokemon I dug out of the box just to only be used in 1 gym, I'd hate it more of I lost my nuzlocke and invalidated my 20+ hours spent on the run.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
It's probably easier to do rotation teams in wonderlockes because of the boosted experience points.

Emperor ServingSpoon

The original AND the 16th!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Adept at procrastination. If he ever seems productive, it's likely because he's ignoring something far more important.
The boosted experience definitely helps. But if you've got the Gen 6/7 Exp. Share on, it's pretty easy to keep more than 6 Pokemon at the appropriate level for most of the game without any significant grinding, anyway.

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
It's depending the situation. But if I need to choose, well...Rotation team.

Either for less victims or for covering my team's weakness.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Usually I go for rotation teams in the beginning and then settle for a steady team about two-thirds of the way in. In my recent Omega Ruby navlocke, however, it was the opposite: I had a steady team in the beginning because of the limited number of PokeNav catches available, and then later on in the game I started grinding reserve mons and switching my team around more often for the variety.

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!!! But don´t forget to wear one
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
I normally prefer to just work with 6 members, only rotating if it's absolutely necessary. Heck, I didn't even had a full team at all on my earlier runs. Saying I'm not the biggest fan of Grinding would be an understatement.

ACottontail

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
It depends on whether the game has the buffed exp share or not. In the older games I stick to teams of 6 or less pokemon as I hate grinding, and having more pokemon that I can't use 100% of the time feels like a waste in those games. However past gen 6 I like rotating teams as the exp share makes the process of keeping your team at a decent level more manageable. The first time I remember using a rotating team in the main story was in Ultra Moon, as I tried to add 2 new members to my team every island as I thought it would be fun to try to use some pokemon that came up too late to use in a normal play through. I also had a rotating team with whatever I wanted to train on it in Sword.

I also used a rotating team in my Nuzlocke run of Sword. For most of the run the team size was 8, but it got bigger. (As for the content creation question I plan to turn my run into a comic. The 8 mon team decision was before I knew I wanted to make the run into a comic, but making the team bigger than that came afterwards. Making the decisions to make my trainer dislike using pokeballs, (try to)give my pokemon strong characterization and other things, well I have keeping track of 10+ characters at once to look forward to.)

PageEmperor

Kermit Seismitoad isn’t real, it can’t hurt you
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Has tons of plans that he can’t put out right now because he is too busy.
If there are multiple mons I want to use, then I use a rotation team of all the mons I want to use. Otherwise, just a team of 6.

Ionbird

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
Team of 6. It's always what I've been used to. When I played Sword I had a rotation team however as my Pokemon were getting overleveled due to my catch Pokemon and fight all trainers impulses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)