• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Sinnoh Mature Commentary Dimming Diamond - 3/12/2021 Update 2 is up!

Thread Description
(A Semi-Blind Screenshot Advanced Lorelocke of Brilliant Diamond!)

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Dimming Diamond

(A Semi-Blind Screenshot Advanced Lorelocke of Brilliant Diamond!)

Hi everyone! It’s been way too long since I posted a run here, and I admit I really missed sharing my adventures with you guys. As some of you might know I have a habit of Nuzlocking blindly every new pokemon game that comes out, and sure enough Brilliant Diamond and Shiny Pearls have been released recently! Now I wasn’t sure what style of run I wanted to do. On the one hand I really like making review and commentary runs in which I talk about the different features of the game, the game’s design, the gameplay and the artistic experience. On the other hand, I did play pokemon Diamond and Pearl a long time ago so this game isn’t totally new to me, plus I wanted to challenge myself (especially with the forced exp share I recently learned about). And so, I decided to go for a hybrid format. I’ll be playing the game blindly, share casually my thoughts about the game as I go, and while at it use this opportunity to both show and test-play some more my Lorelocke ruleset. And to make things even more interesting I’ll add a few extra rules such as the Advanced Lorelocke variant (found in the variant appendix at the end of the Lorelocke document), and trying to limit my item usage even more, possibly to zero. Another thing I always prefer doing and will also do with this run is post as I play, so you’ll get to experience my authentic blind experience, so the rule is that I’ll never play passed the point of my next update. I’ll give you details about it all and some of my other thoughts down below, but if you are less interested in these sorts of things feel free to skip right ahead to Part 1, and hopefully enjoy!

Oh and two final notes before that:

1) I love your comments and always enjoy sharing my experiences with others, so feel welcomed and encouraged to take part and share your thoughts and feelings! It really motivates me to make these runs and I love making my runs feel like a team effort. However, do avoid spoiling major things for me as I’m playing blind. You can give me clues, talk about stuff I missed, but don’t tell me ahead of events exactly what I’ll face as it will take the fun out of it (unless I specifically ask you guys something, in that case that’s ok). If you really feel like you want me to know a specific major thing you can put it in a spoiler box.

2) This run won’t have a clear organized schedule due to real life not allowing me to stick to one, but I promise I’ll keep this one alive and running (Kantonian Fables don’t look at me that way! I promise I’ll have time for you, one day).

Is this a “blind run” in the sense that I know nothing about this game? Not really. I did Nuzlocke successfully both Diamond and Pearl a few years ago, and played the first few hours of Platinum. However, I don’t really remember much of the games to the extent that I’m not even sure who are the exact gym leaders and E4 members and the order in which you face them, let alone every opponent I’ll face, their pokemon, moves, items, etc. Also, I managed to more or less avoid major spoilers for the remakes so I don’t know a whole lot about what’s changed in them (I do know that not a lot has changed though, which is a real shame if you ask me). This is also the reason why sadly I can’t follow your BDSP runs, but I promise to catch up on them once this run will be finished. Finally, one important point - I’m not allowed to check anything online. Not about pokemon stats, moves, routes, encounters, nada. I have to trust my memory and years of reading Bulbapedia, Serebii and Pokemon Database to aid me.

> Basic Nuzlocke Rules (Faint is dead. 1 catch per route. Nicknames are a must).
> The Lorelocke Ruels! (currently version 1.32) - https://nuzlockeforums.com/forum/th...pokemon-up-to-gen-4-and-tons-of-new-art.2197/
In short if you don’t want to read it all, the Lorelocke rules give every pokemon a unique randomized rule based on their lore, many of which can have negative or even deadly effects.

Advanced Lorelocke - An extra difficulty variant of the classic Lorelocke rules:
1) Master Tamer - You must make an honest attempt to catch every encounter, no matter how harsh the lore rule is. (Note - In a regular Lorelocke you can choose to avoid pokemon if you don’t like their Lorelocke effects, not here!)
2) Loyal Tamer - You can’t choose to kill your own pokemon in battle on purpose to free a party spot (You can however sacrifice pokemon for the purposes of lore rules, or let them die as cannon fodder to save other pokemon in battle, just don’t kill them to avoid having to use them on purpose).
3) Dire Consequences - The catching effects of pokemon come into effect, even if you killed the pokemon by accident or it fled (for example Vile Poison can still kill that pokemon even if you didn’t catch it).
4) Chosen of the Gods - Limit the amount of “Chosen” pokemon in your party to 1 at a time. If the Chosen pokemon dies the gods are angry with you and you must kill one pokemon of your choice you own as a sacrifice.
5) Shiny Destiny - You may choose the lore rule of your Shiny pokemon, or may choose for them not to have a lore rule. You must keep your Shiny in your party at all times.
6) War is Cruel - Play on Set.
7) Limited Resources - Can’t use more than 3 items per battle. (Note - I'll do my very best to avoid using items at all and keep them to the very minimum only for specific battles. This is a blind run so I’m afraid to completely ban them without knowing exactly what I’ll face, but if I’ll see it is doable, I might just do that or at least allow them on very specific battles, and again no matter what no more than 3).
8) Everyone has a story - Dupes Clause 3 - You can’t catch a pokemon you already caught before. You are given three attempts, and if by the third attempt you still haven’t encountered a new pokemon, you lose the encounter for this route.
9) Be Brave! - You can’t flee from battle.
10) The Long Journey - Do your best not to return to a pokemon center while exploring a new route unless you have to. You are on a journey, going back takes valuable time and resources.

Part 1 - Dusting off the Old Gear - Down in this thread!
Part 2 - Dupes, Swaps and Links

Part 1 - Dusting off the Old Gear

HXvoSf3.jpg

* Dramatic Gen 4 music playing.

I still get excited every time I see the opening screen of a pokemon game, the sense of the familiar and unknown mixing together. A new adventure begins.

U4TlZpb.jpg

True, these days I have to add a lot of extra spice to still get the same excitement. Playing with the Nuzlocke rule for the challenge and sense of achievement, playing blindly for the sense of adventure and surprise, and adding the Advanced Lorelocke rules for the sense of fantasy and lore. But still underneath it all it is the same old pokemon adventure. Grab a few cute and creepy critters as your allies and conquer the world with them.

8F0oYOS.jpg

Man the graphics are brilliant. True, not the cutting edge of technology, but still hit the right balance between 3D realism and pokemon-style, the Switch transition really did wonders to the pokemon games, just compare them to Gen 7 and see how great the difference is.

I6hsjoA.jpg

Umm, I’ll go with the classic Lucas look.

yduc6QO.jpg

That’s how I’m known around these parts.

n6X2rPw.jpg

Yeah, I never liked tweaking with these too much.

NSUBpBe.jpg

Ah, nostalgia, what a powerful force. Again the sense of adventure and a world where magical rare creatures roam. Gen 4 were never my favorite games, and honestly I didn’t play them all that much. I know a lot of people really like them and when I did my research about their lore I could understand why. Still the games themselves always felt too slow for me, and also the fact I never connected to them is perhaps because this is the generation of pokemon games when I officially became too “edgy” and more or less lost interest in pokemon (only to rediscover it more than a decade later). I guess it’s about time to start fresh and change my mind about this generation. Remakes, amaze me!

9OzgcYd.jpg

Ah... Not what I meant. This is the beginning of the game, a good time as any to open the issue of the Chibis (a word I didn’t even know existed before the release of the first BDSP trailer). I admit when I first saw the Chibi graphics of the overworld game I was somewhat disappointed. Pretty fast we got to see the Legends:Arceus trailer and all was forgotten, still my first impression was definitely negative. I did my best to avoid most of the trailers from that point forward to increases the “blindness” of the run, still I got to see glimpses of the new graphics as time passed by and it honestly sort of grew on me? Or at least I learned not to hate it as much :P. The cut-scenes and in battle graphics are great that’s for sure, and the Chibis are ok. Silly, but not as bad as I thought. I can’t say I support this choice, but I think we can overlook it. Not that were counting here, but ~2/5 Claws?

Also, look how shiny the floor is, poor mom is working way too hard.

Also also, where’s my hat?

But enough of Chibis, hats and clean floors, let’s get into some gameplay, or at least story. Woke up, no potions on my PC (shame!), said hi to mom, what’s next?

jQhEMwY.jpg

D9VXc7B.jpg

Interesting, I don’t think I remember them saying that in the original games? Though I honestly don’t remember much of them so I might be wrong. Foreshadowing for more pokemon than the original games had, or perhaps even pokemon from newer gens? (Yes? Maybe? Please? Pretty please?).

msyPZ7y.jpg

Well, some things don’t change at least! Went to the Lake with Barry, met the Prof and Dawn, was attacked by wild Starlys, yadi yada. Time to choose a starter!

QHXir2n.jpg

Hmm that’s a tough choice... The gen 4 starters are a really solid trio, the most equal in my opinion out of any generation, this is perhaps the only generation where I don’t have a clear a favorite. I postponed this decision for a long time and I’m really not sure up to this very moment who to choose. I can choose the one I used the least but I tried them all to some extent so that wouldn’t really work. I can make my choice based on what lorerules are the best for each of the pokemon, but it doesn’t feel right as I want to try out different rules for the sake of variety and testing anyway. I can base my decision on classic Nuzlocking strategy: Fire types usually being the best option as they are rare and valuable early on (and from what I remember they are extra rare in the Gen 4 games), Water types usually being second best as they are solid pokemon but it is very easy to obtain pokemon of this type, and Grass starters usually being a rather problematic choice though with the benefit of some useful status moves. I can try and fit them to the gyms of Sinnoh but I honestly don’t remember them all that much and especially their order (I do remember the first one is Rock, but I guess they are all good against it with Chimchar evolving into a Fighting type pretty early). Hmm... I thought of doing a poll and letting you guys decide for me but I’m too impatient to wait for the results. I guess I can just randomize but it feels wrong for such an important decision. Well, I’ll just go with my gut... and I’ll choose...

DB1376q.jpg

Look at my sleepy baby turtle! So adorable! I love Torterra, and even though Grotle isn’t very appealing to me second stages are known to be problematic and it’s a passing phase (assuming I’ll manage to keep him alive). And now that we got our first pokemon it is time to randomize a lorerule for it! I go to the relevant page in the Lorerules manual, there are 5 options there so I randomize 1-5 and get:

2) True Zoophyte
When this pokemon is used in battle on man-made floor it can only stay in battle for 3 consecutive turns before it must be switched out. If it is not (even if it can't), it dies at the end of battle.

Ouch, that’s a harsh one! Based on a few similar myths about creatures who are part animal and part plant such as The Vegetable Lamb of Tartary this rule means my poor critter needs its soil to survive or else it will wither. Most battles in the game tend not to be on man-made floors so it isn’t that bad, however most gyms, league arenas and evil team bases are man-made floors which makes this quite problematic. Definitely a candidate for lorerule removal if I ever get the chance, but for now we’ll take it.

But this got me thinking, there’s a rival battle in this game pretty soon right? Possibly in the professor’s lab? I wonder if I can even win the first battle in 3 turns. Well, this run is also a test run, and I never thought of this issue before, and that’s why testing is important! (as well as your feedback). This also makes me think of Bulbasaur which you use on man-made floor against your rival the minute you get it and it also has this lorerule in its list. I mean technically you can say the lorelocke rules don’t come in effect until you get the Pokeball along with the other Nuzlocke rules, but I’m not sure if it will work well. So, clarification is always the better option in my opinion, let’s add a fix to the rule! Added: “Comes into effect only when you have another pokemon.“ which will be added along other corrections (and some new beautiful @mewstein art) to the next update 1.33 version of the rules. (In retrospect it seems the rival battle in this game isn’t as early as I thought it is, but as it is relevant for the Kanto starters so I’ll keep this fix to the rules”.

MNmcxPW.jpg

Quirky nature, fine by me. I named it Yeduah after a Zoophyte creature from Jewish mythological.

uncfz2b.jpg

I'm enjoying the battle graphics so much. The shadows, the lighting, the anime style, great stuff.

Anyway, we meet the professor, meet Dawn’s father (who is one of the scientists it seems, didn’t remember that), get our Pokedex and a Parcel (because every pokemon game needs a Parcel), and are free to roam the country-side and wreak havoc!

djmRr6i.jpg

From my old age of 32 I can very much relate.

PVAysQ9.jpg

As we are playing with the “The Long Journey” Rule (though not really set in stone, the spirit of the rule says I should try and not to return back to the Pokecener mid-route) I need to stock up on supplies. Potions, Antidotes, etc. I like this addition as modern pokemon game rarely require you to do that anymore, making you feel constantly safe. Combined with the “Be Brave!” rule which states that I can’t flee from battle this really gives me the sense of traveling into the dangers of the unknown with only the equipment on my back.

And finally, we are off! We enter into the wild grass of Route 201 with our trusted Yeduah, where our first encounter is... A Starly!

And so, we randomize a lorerule for the Starly and get:

5) Formerly Trained Bird of Prey
This pokemon was used as a trained bird of prey by its former Falconer trainer, but was abandoned and sent back to the wild. If it damages a pokemon, it can’t leave battle until the pokemon it damaged either faints or switches out. Must know U-turn if possible.

That’s pretty cool! A Starly unique lorerule (though I have been considering giving to the Pidgey line as well for their Falcon inspiration). On the other hand, that’s a tricky rule. Much like Yeduah’s rule, it affects the battle itself and not the moveset or out of battle stuff so that could prove tricky. Well, Starly is a great pokemon so I’m sure we’ll be ok. Now to catch it.

kpbvX1T.jpg

Meet Takagari! (Named after the Japanese art of Falconry). Bold nature is pretty meh, but I’ll take it. And I can’t remember if Keen Eye is the one that turns into Intimidate or not, and I’m not allowed check so, so I guess we’ll just wait and see.

Now with this lorerule I need to be very careful when grinding it. One hit and I’m obligated to finish the battle with this fellow, and with limited/no item usage that can end up very-very badly.

With an animal-plant hybrid on our side, and a feral falcon on our shoulders we head into the wild grass of route 202 to get our next encounter which ends up being...

A Kricketot! True, a very mediocre pokemon that will be outpaced by the rest of my team very soon, but still an adorable pokemon that I always wanted to take with me as far as I could. Also, I can tell you that weaker pokemon tend to have more positive lorerules (in average, they can also have some nasty ones) so we have potential here. I randomize its Lorerule and got:

2) Symbol of Luck *
If this pokemon dies while you are trying to catch it, or while you own it, you lose your next encounter. If this pokemon evolves while it is in your party, you may choose which lore rule you’ll get on your next encounter (right after seeing that encounter).

1) Inspiring Music (Glorious Art)
After every gym battle you win in which Kricketot/Kricketune was used for at least one turn, it gets 1 glory token and every pokemon that was in this battle gets 1 glory token. You may sacrifice items worth 20,000 pokeyen and remove 3 glory tokens from Kricketot/Kricketune and 3 glory tokens from a pokemon you control to cancel that pokemon’s lore rule.

2) Symbol of Luck *
If this pokemon dies while you are trying to catch it, or while you own it, you lose your next encounter. If this pokemon evolves while it is in your party, you may choose which lore rule you’ll get on your next encounter (right after seeing that encounter).

3) Insect Gladiator
Can’t be in the same party with another Bug pokemon. Whenever you face a Bug type pokemon you must switch immediately to Kricketot/Kricketune if possible and can’t switch it out against it. Must know at least 2 Fighting type moves if possible.

4) Living Violin
This pokemon is a magical violin enchanted with a force of life. Must know a Sound-based move if possible. In a trainer battle in which Kricketot/Kricketune used a Sound-based move, you may ignore the negative effects of any lore rule for the rest of the battle.

5) Lord of Agricultural Pests
When you catch this pokemon, each Grass type pokemon you own (including in the box) has 30% to die. When Kricketot/Kricketune is in your party and you encounter a Bug pokemon, you may reroll their lorerule once.

*Kricketot only

Nice, that’s a fun one. Looking at the possible rules I could have gotten that’s pretty much the average with Lord of Agricultural Pests being horrible (especially in an advanced lorelocke where I have to deal with its effect), Insect Gladiator being ok, Living Violin being pretty useful (especially with the lorerules of the other pokemon I got) and Inspiring Music (Glorious Art) being amazing.

Still, bottom line that’s a positive rule and if I can manage to keep it alive and only enjoy its benefit, choosing a lorerule for one pokemon as I encounter it could be very useful.

crK9JdT.jpg

Named it Fluke for the good luck it brings to our team.

We press forward into route 202 not being allowed to turn back or flee from battle.

txJHnnU.jpg

We have a few rough moments, but manage to cross it safely.

wlA9PX3.jpg

5KVlXMn.jpg

1rvb5mm.jpg

I somehow doubt that’s the same text the sign had in the original games... There isn’t really a need for me to complain about the Exp Share right? I mean, I assume we all hate the fact you can’t toggle it off as there isn’t any reasonable logic behind this, correct me if I’m wrong. If any of you happen to think differently I’d love to hear it. Oh Game Freak... But anyway, I just wanted to note that for now I can’t do much about it, but if I’ll see and if this will become an issue I’ll consider rotating some team members in and out to keep the levels at a reasonable, well, level. Problem is this is a blind run so I’ll have to guess/estimate to do that.

Anyway, we finally reach Jubilife City (which is a really adorable name for a city, and probably the only that stuck with me from Gen 4).

XPQIIbP.jpg

10Hmvk4.jpg

The quest for Barry!

fpwzLvz.jpg

That better be the last time I have to actively search you to give you your own stuff! At least it didn't take too long to find you.

OueHmA6.jpg

Finally, you are talking some sense man.

Jubilife city seems more or less like I remembered it. A battle with an Abra (who to my surprise used an Electric move instead Hidden Power like I thought it would).

3CrcvXy.jpg

Chasing after clowns to get a pretty useless 90s top of the art clock-calculator (sorry for all of you Poketech fans, I never really liked this feature, perhaps because I only used it through an emulator before).

PbhJISc.jpg

And some actually useful freebies like the Old Rod and Quick Claw.

SukC2UN.jpg

y4mcaA4.jpg

cXtEKHk.jpg

iz3fxvn.jpg

That’s a pretty messed up way to phrase that...

This urban set of mind is starting to get to me, let’s head back to the wilds and clear our heads. First, we’ll go north into route 204 where our encounter will be:

UJ7l9aX.jpg

A Zubat, always a solid mon to have (though I admit I’ve used it to death and beyond). Still, can’t complain, now let’s randomize a lorerule for it:

4) Chosen of Camazotz
When you catch this pokemon you must sacrifice a pokemon or release Zubat/Golbat/Crobat. While this pokemon is in your party you may cancel the lore rule of every other Dark and Ghost pokemon in your party and the effect of lore rules of Dark and Ghost type pokemon as you catch them. You may sacrifice a pokemon whenever you want in order to cancel the effect of a lore rule of pokemon as it enters your party, before the randomization of this effect takes place (e.g before the Vile Poison is rolled to see if it killed the pokemon).

Damn, this might seem like a good lorerule but it is actually quite problematic. You might be surprised to hear that about the supposedly only positive lorerule Zubat has, and a Chosen rule which almost always tend to be good, but I’ll explain why after I’ll hopefully catch this one.

NkLoc98.jpg

Whoops! Almost killed her.

HDagb0y.jpg

But finally, we got her.

Chosen of Camazotz is not only a really cool lorerule, it is a very useful one, especially in an Advanced Lorelocke. Avoiding certain rules is always good, no negative effects after you catch it is great, and being able to sometimes avoid negative affects is amazing in a run where every encounter can be the end of your favorite pokemon. However, at this very specific point I can’t allow myself to sacrifice any of my pokemon as the cost of keeping this one on my team is just too high. Losing Fluke will not only suck but will both cause me to lose the positive effect of symbol of luck that I will otherwise get when it evolves and make me lose the next encounter. And I really don’t want to sacrifice my poor Yeduah or Takabari which are both great pokemon. So, with much grief, I choose the option of releasing Eztli the Zubat. Farewell! Not truly a death yet, but still a loss. Farewell!

16TkGCO.jpg

Space!

With a heavy heart and a party of 3, we moved further north fighting enemy trainers.

juX5pp8.jpg

eRBWTX2.jpg

Fluke gets into some action and crushes a helpless Bidoof.

XVvDyyR.jpg

I miss the blind runs in which I didn’t know what my pokemon will evolve into. Still I’m pretty fond of Kricketune, so no complaining here (though now that I think about it Kricketune is a perfect fit for a Mega Evolution or a regional form as those seem to be more popular these days).

EAios40.jpg

My mustached boy!

And now that it has evolved: “If this pokemon evolves while it is in your party, you may choose which lore rule you’ll get on your next encounter (right after seeing that encounter).”

So next encounter we get to choose the lorerule! Nice. We are just at the entrance to Ravage Cave it seems so I could go there, however if I learned anything from my pokemon games is that caves are usually home for two pokemon: Zubats - who are currently dupe, and Geodudes - who don’t really have very positive lorerules that I’d like to have. So I decide to change my course and head west to Route 203 first to get my next encounter:

RiAP2uA.jpg

Damn! A surprise rival battle, oh no, and my pokemon aren’t healed! (Unrelated, but you have some amazing hair dude).

YPschZg.jpg

Luckily my pokemon are a bit overleveled (must, resist, urge, to complain, about Exp Share!). Takagari’s lorerule makes it a bit risky to stay in but I take my chances and let it crush Barry’s Starly, proving it is the top bird.

I0ClZkw.jpg

I decide to keep it in even against his starter, and we have a bit of a tense battle but manage to defeat it as well.

And with Barry out of the way we head into the tall grass of Route 204 where our encounter is:

Qkjuyl5.jpg

A Shinx! Always wanted to use one (and not kill it pretty much immediately like I did last time). And I can even pick her loreule thanks to Fluke’s Symbol of Luck effect. Let’s see our options:

1) Symbol Of Imperial Authority
This proud Pokemon demands to be the figurehead of your party. It must be the first on your team whenever you battle Gym Leaders, the Champion, or your Rival. Can’t have two pokemon with this rule in your party. It is considered Royal.

2) The Clairvoyant Lynx
This pokemon has the gift to see through both bodies and minds, and the ability to produce a precious gem. Must know the move Leer, Scary Face, Baby-Doll Eyes or Laser Focus if possible. You see through all disguises by lore rules (Master of Disguise, Changeling Bakeneko, etc), and can see all that is hidden (What the effect of Hidden Story will be, etc). Every time Shinx reaches a level that is divisible by 12, put a gem token on it. If Shinx/Luxio/Lucray dies or you reach the E4 you get a Lyngurium stone, which can be treated as an item worth 5,000 X the amount of gem tokens on it pokeyen for the purpose of any lore rules (e.g. 3 token, 15,000 pokeyen).

3) Descendant of Lyncus (Royal Ancestry)
Comes in effect as Luxray. Considered Royal. Won’t follow a commoner and will only follow another Royal in battle - meaning you can’t switch this pokemon into the battle if another pokemon who is not Royal is in the battle. Cancel this effect as long as it holds a King’s Rock.

4) Descendant of the Nemean Lion
Comes in effect as Luxio. Must know Protect if possible. Every time it reaches a level that is completely divisible by 10 (20,30, 40... and so on) it gets struck by a terrible hunger. You must then either sacrifice a non-Steel pokemon for it to eat, or throw away items worth 15,000 to buy it enough food. If this pokemon dies in battle it becomes part of a constellation - and you are granted a wish and can cancel the lore rule of a pokemon of your choice permanently.

5) Mishipeshu
When you catch this pokemon, there is a 15% chance, +15% if there is Water in this route, for every pokemon that was damaged by Shinx/Luxio/Luxray, unless it is Flying type, Water Type, knows Surf or has Levitate, that it will be dragged into the water and die. Shinx/Luxio/Luxray is considered Dragon and Water type in addition to its other types for lorerule purposes. Must know a Water type or Steel type move if possible.

That’s a hard one. Imperial Symbol isn’t that bad but having two pokemon with this rule sucks and it is quite common. The Clairvoyant Lynx is pretty cool and has two nice to have positive effects but the move pools from which you have to choose one of your moves is pretty meh. Mishipeshu is actually not that bad if I can switch right now to Takagaro as I’m trying to catch her and hope he doesn’t die, and knowing a Water or Steel type move if I remember correctly in this case means Rain Dance or Iron Tail assuming these are the available moves in this game as well (and that my memory since balancing this rules hasn’t failed me). The two other rules are both far too risky and problematic. Hmm... I’ll go with the Clairvoyant Lynx, though Mishipeshu was a close second.

2) The Clairvoyant Lynx
This pokemon has the gift to see through both bodies and minds, and the ability to produce a precious gem. Must know the move Leer, Scary Face, Baby-Doll Eyes or Laser Focus if possible. You see through all disguises by lore rules (Master of Disguise, Changeling Bakeneko, etc), and can see all that is hidden (What the effect of Hidden Story will be, etc). Every time Shinx reaches a level that is divisible by 12, put a gem token on it. If Shinx/Luxio/Lucray dies or you reach the E4 you get a Lyngurium stone, which can be treated as an item worth 5,000 X the amount of gem tokens on it pokeyen for the purpose of any lore rules (e.g. 3 token, 15,000 pokeyen).

Based on the Greek/Medieval European mythological belief that the lynx holds secret powers of knowledge and sight that allow it to see beyond the mundane (which also heavily influenced the concept of the Shinx line and their X-Ray sight abilities), along with the bizarre belief that the lynx’s urine hardens over time into a precious stone.

Let’s catch her!

It took me three failed pokeball throws, then a Fury Cutter by Fluke that almost killed her, but at last, I got her!

xP2a2N6.jpg

Sassy nature is probably meh, but Intimidate rocks! Welcome to the team Claire.

Now before we continue forward in this route, now that we used our Symbol of Luck effect let’s get back and get two more encounter we left behind. First, let’s fish in Route 218.

BBi77CJ.jpg

Surprise surprise, we got a Magikarp. I do love the background by the way. Now let’s randomize a lorerule.

2) The Grace of the Koi
Whenever you are near water you can choose to link or relink Magikarp with one pokemon on your team, and that pokemon loses its lorelocke as long as it is linked and both are at the same party (Can only have one pokemon linked to it at a time, and lose this ability and the link when it evolves into Gyarados). Magikarp/Gyarados can't have more than two physical moves (even after it evolves).

Interesting, the Magikarp line only has two options, the other one being this one:

1) Leaping over the Dragon Gate
Magikarp can only evolve after you use the move Surf/Fly/Waterfall (Fly in Alola, Biking over water in Galar) while it is in your party.

Always hard to say which is the better of the options. Long term only two physical moves usually sucks (depending on its nature), but the early game effect is nice and the ability to actually use a Gyarados early is priceless. Let’s catch it.

1idqOtI.jpg

Meet Asagi, named after a beautiful blue colored variant of the koi. Probably not the best nature but I guess it is ok for such an OP pokemon as is. Now who to link it with for its temporary lorerule canceling effect? Yeduah the Turwting and Takagari the Starly are the main options. I think I’ll go with Takagari for more battle versatility. Can always change it next time I’m near a body of water. Linked the two and Takagari’s lorerule is canceled for now.

UYsV9AM.jpg

And finally, back to the Ravaged Path. As I mentioned before it is very likely we are going to face either Geodudes or Zubats here. Geodudes are notorious for the deadly Rockslide lorerule, so I’ll put Takagari in front to cancel this effect as it can’t hit Flying type pokemon. Let’s see what we got:

First attempt, a Zubat. A dupes.

Second attempt, a Zubat. Hmm.

oHOvQoA.jpg

Third attempt, Another Zubat, damn. No Encounter for me here. Let’s move forward!

Though come to think of it, this seems like a great place to end this chapter now that we have established ourselves a team. I was hoping to do that with a full team of six, but hi 5 pokemon isn’t that bad. This is the current squad:

EQeoSkL.jpg

I’ll see you next time when we move east and face the Rock gym! (Assuming I remember correctly). Thanks for joining this adventure!

P.S. What’s up with these floors? I can’t even see anything from all this shine. These people are clearly obsessed:

emcIMUE.jpg

Asagi the Magikarp is linked to Takgari the Starly, canceling its lorerule for now.

Yeduah the Turtwig - True Zoophyte
When this pokemon is used in battle on man-made floor it can only stay in battle for 3 consecutive turns before it must be switched out. If it is not (even if it can't), it dies at the end of battle.

Takagari the Starly - Formerly Trained Bird of Prey
This pokemon was used as a trained bird of prey by its former Falconer trainer, but was abandoned and sent back to the wild. If it damages a pokemon, it can’t leave battle until the pokemon it damaged either faints or switches out. Must know U-turn if possible.

Fluke the Kricketune - Symbol of Luck (already used the positive effect)

Claire the Shinx - The Clairvoyant Lynx

Asagi the Magikarp - The Grace of the Koi (linked to Takagari)
Whenever you are near water you can choose to link or relink Magikarp with one pokemon on your team, and that pokemon loses its lorelocke as long as it is linked and both are at the same party (Can only have one pokemon linked to it at a time, and lose this ability and the link when it evolves into Gyarados). Magikarp/Gyarados can't have more than two physical moves (even after it evolves).

None so far!

Eztli the Zubat lvl 4 Female (Chosen of Camazotz) - Released immediately after it was caught as part of its lorerule in order to avoid other negative effects.

Last edited:

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
The Lorelocke ruleset looks so interesting, but it must be hard to keep track of everything... Do you have like, a spreadsheet or something?

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual lorewriter and worldbuilder. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Nice! Always interested in another lorelocke, and with these advanced rules, it should be pretty interesting. Will you and your monsters survive what comes ahead?

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
Man it's barely been a week and people are already documenting BDSP? I guess I shouldn't really be surprised :v:
I have to agree with Kit about wondering how you keep up with the lorerules...I don't think I could do one myself because I'd inevitably forget some effect of someone's rule and render the whole thing pointless because it makes my brain :psyduck:
That said, it's interesting to see your thought process in terms of how beneficial each rule is for each 'mon/going forward. So far no one seems to have gotten anything too bad (aside from that unfortunate Zubat), so hopefully it stays that way.
Also I'm both loling and O_O at how shiny the floors are-that seems like a really good way for someone to slip and fall...

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
@Kit_The_Feef and @Skarmizard - keeping track of the additional Lorelocke effects on your team really isn't that hard, I managed to do so with a biro in the back of an old lab notebook during Breaking The Lore. The main trick is to think of your team as a whole rather than as six individual components, and the rules do a good job of encouraging you to pick a 'mon that will benefit your team's synergy rather than throwing it on your rota just because it's a particularly strong or unusual critter. A Lorelocke is a marathon rather than a sprint, and hopefully it'll get you thinking up new ways to play the game rather than more conventional strategies if you do give it a go.

Meanwhile back to Ruby's run... Go #teamturtwig - I was so sure you'd pick the fire-type starter but now I think I hear someone weeping in the mines in Oreburgh city. And I caught a Route 204 Shinx too! She's still going strong as a fully evolved Luxray on my Pearl team, along with this mush:

R5GzLni.png

Sparkle sparkle!

Moon

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Kit_The_Feef - Thank you so much! Well, mewstein explained it quite well, and as she said it really isn’t as hard as you’d think as you sort of remember it as a whole package not having to memorize every single part of every lorerule all the time, just the effects that matter at that time. I do have a notepad where I record everything including the lorerules and their progress, though I honestly have one for every Nuzlocke I do taking note of each route’s catch, important battles and deaths, etc, not just for lorelockes. I also have the Lorelocke rules open at all times so I could easily check them. But to be honest I rarely have to and often play with my Switch connected to my TV on another room. Most lorerules aren’t ones that require you to constantly remember them all the time and usually in a party there are only a few pokemon whose lorerules affect the constant gameplay (they were intentionally designed that way). True you have to be aware of certain situations where it is likely that a lorerule will be relevant, mainly when encountering new pokemon and when your pokemon learn new moves, but at some point you get the hang of it. If you ever decide to try it I’d love to hear your thoughts and feedback.

@Trollkitten - Welcome to the run friend, and I’m happy to provide one! Well, this is only for the divine to tell as I have no idea myself!

@Skarmizard - Hi dude welcome to the run! Ha, indeed I rushed to publish this as fast as possible, not because I wanted to be among the first even (though that’s cool), but mainly because I’m the sort that posts as they play as you know and I wanted to start playing already :)! As mewstein wrote and as I wrote to Kit here in the comment it really isn’t as bad as you’d think. With a notepad and the rules open it is really hard to forget something, and you honestly can manage quite well without having to check them out very often. And worse case and you forgot a rule/effect - well that’s not the end of the world! You can still enjoy the rules and make a mistake or two, that’s ok. Happy to share my thoughts, it does make the game more interesting to try and think of ways to deal with the challenges these rules throw at me, and even though I’m the one who made them and tested them a lot they still surprise me (e.g. the rule I got for Zubat is amazing and usually really useful, and I got the one time it sucks getting it :P). Yeah what’s up with those floors?!

@mewstein - Great explanation, I think you really nailed it. Also, welcome to the run! Also also, yeah you know me well, I’m almost always a Fire type fan, but I just went with my heart and for some reason it told me to pick that adorable turtle, perhaps to avenge Highland, the Torterra I lost in my bloody Diamond run near the very end to a certain legend. Rest in peace brave warrior. Pip is bloody adorable.

@Moon - *Thud! (Also, welcome!).

Part 2 - Dupes, Swaps and Links

Welcome folks to another chapter of our semi blind adventures through Sinnoh. Last time we started making our way through route 203 where we got Claire, our awesome Shinx.

scWxb8n.jpg

p4pMwNw.jpg

I used this opportunity to give her some battle experience and train her up to the levels of the rest of the team (which is always challenging with the mandatory Exp Share on... And I managed to not mention this annoying feature for exactly three sentences it seems, hmm, gotta learn to control myself, serenity now!).

Anyway, with no way to turn back or flee from battles due to our rules we rely on our brave team and out-of-battle potions to get through this route until we finally reach our next destination, Oreburgh Gate (a very epic name for this location I must note).

ukkghhp.jpg

And I think that’s the Rock Smash HM guy right?

gjR4tjq.jpg

Yep.

sLkTSoV.jpg

ypHduhv.jpg

HeSOPR7.jpg

Ok cool! So if I understand this correctly, in this game TMs are TRs, and HMs are Poke-Rides? I kind of like this solution. Not sure if it should be used for other future games (HMs/Poke Rides/Mandatory Roadblock removals in my personal opinion are pretty much a solution of the past that probably should fade away), but for a remake game that’s a pretty decent compromise between the classic and modern approaches that still keeps to the spirit of the original game. 4 Claws, both for the effort and the risk taking with giving us breakable move tutors.

SmuVf0l.jpg

Oh, and I even got three TMs instead of one? Nice.

Oreburgh Gate is a new location where we can get a new encounter. Not let’s analyze this situation for a moment and do a little recap. I remind you that our Zubat encounter was sadly released last time as the lesser evil option of its problematic lorerule so we can’t get any more Zubats, and that we already lost our Ravaged Path encounter due to dupes (three damn Zubats in a row). If I’ll have to bet the encounters here are probably similar being Geodudes or Zubas, which leads us to a pretty certain Geodude encounter, assuming we get anything new that is.

Therefore, much like before, the lorerule of Geodude’s that we should be the most careful with is “Rockslide!” So I’ll be keeping our flying type Takagari the Starly as the lead of our party to avoid any tumbling boulders.

And here we go! I’m a bit excited. Attempt 1:

rxgTYFq.jpg

Very funny... Attempt two?

1FkFqUT.jpg

Two dupes, you’ve got to be kidding me. I got one more chance, come on, give me something new.

Wait a minute, you know what? I’ll do my best to avoid the third one and get out of this cave. That way I can wait until I’ll unlock the Rock Smash HM after the next gym and guarantee a Geodude through Rock Smash.

The rules technically don’t ban me from using Repels, but I feel that on a first travel through a route that’s against the spirit of the rules. So instead, I’ll move from trainer battle to trainer battle to the exit.

Hq04ILR.jpg

mLe1JaP.jpg

rUNro9j.jpg

We made it!

Sigh, but as I’m about to leave the cave and move forward I pause and think. I mean, it just feels a bit shady and cheesy saving only my third attempt for later after getting two dupes. Let’s just give it a last attempt, worst case I’ll lose another encounter for dupes. I’m sure there will be many more to come.

And back into the cave, here we go! Let me guess, Zubat?

vzSJul9.jpg

A Geodude! Woohoo. Now for her lorerule, gods give me Rockslide...

1) Rockslide!
This pokemon falls off the nearest wall/mountain as you attempt to catch it. There is a 35% chance for every non-Steel/Rock/Ground/Flying/Pokemon with levitate that was used against Geodude/Graveler/Golem (or for the pokemon who leads the party in Let’s Go) to die (after the battle). Must know at least one move with the word “Rock” in it if possible.

Nice!!! Usually a risky rule (which I’ve seen many lorelockers skip their encounters due to) but with some luck and an early Flying type you can strategically avoid it (which makes me wonder if I should change that from total immunity to just lower death chance for these pokemon to make it more interesting? 10% perhaps in case you have a pokemon that meets the above criteria? What do you guys think? Should I change it or keep it as is?).

Now not to kill it or be killed by it.

After many Defense Curls by her and a crit that almost killed her, I finally caught her.

AsJRpXP.jpg

Meet Lorelei! (Named after a certain Rock) True, that’s a bad nature and bad ability but still a Geodude is a solid encounter.

aTdqPOS.jpg

And regarding the last line of her lorerule, it seems to have a move with the word Rock in it already, lucky, else I’d have to teach it Rock Smash right away (which isn’t that bad and I’ll probably do it anyway, but I’d like to keep my options open at this point).

Finally with a full team of six we return to Oreburgh City where a kid shows us the way to the gym.

jzw6JXN.jpg

Sounds like Barry to me.

wRjnuW8.jpg

Now who said Blue and Silver were the only asshole rivals?

T6Z7jgP.jpg

And as usual the gym leader fails to do their very basic job of staying near the damn gym on its opening hours. Oh well, I guess its time to go to the mines and drag them up here.

But first.

Let’s loot this place!

1KKwTKn.jpg

Don’t mind if I do.

jFmBxrF.jpg

Hmm, don’t rub it in man.

GD22mpY.jpg

Free cash, and these items tend to be extra useful in lorelockes as some rules refer to them.

XWAg7j2.jpg

The fossil revival guy. Interesting, I’ll remember that, I always liked Fossil pokemon and Sinnoh has two really good options.

IBf9X9u.jpg

Let me just buy a couple of those, I’ve always been a sucker for special Pokeballs, not sure if it’s the design or just the concept. I do wish they were more common and that the more obviously useful pokeballs such the Great Balls and Ultra Balls would have been given to you much-much later to make them less of a no-brainer option.

And with that out of the way, before we move onto the mines it seems we have reached a new location.

IvThTxm.jpg

Here we go! I think I remember vaguely this route had some really useful pokemon such as Meditite and Ponyta, let’s see what we get!

LLuGylW.jpg

Very funny, game... Now seriously, give me something good!

And a second Geodude, come on, are you teasing and punishing me for over thinking my last encounter? Ok, I get it, now just give me something I haven’t caught yet, anything! My box is empty and that’s no way to go through a Nuzlocke.

And... A third Geodude. *sigh, no luck. Oh well, no encounters here, let’s carry forward!

(I encountered two more pokemon after that, and they were both Geodudes. I’m not sure what other pokemon are in this route and I can’t allow myself to spend too much time there thanks to can’t flee+forced exp share combo plus the fact I don’t want to overlevel too much and have no idea what levels of opponents I’m going to face. So I guess I’ll never know what I missed).

As we fought those annoying dupesodudes Claire our Shinx got to level 12, which according to her rule means we put Gem counter on it (Every time Shinx reaches a level that is divisible by 12, put a gem token on it. If Shinx/Luxio/Luxray dies or you reach the E4 you get a Lyngurium stone, which can be treated as an item worth 5,000 X the amount of gem tokens on it pokeyen for the purpose of any lore rules (e.g. 3 token, 15,000 pokeyen).).

Now we talked before about the supposed challenge of keeping track of your loreules and to be honest these sorts of rules aren’t that dramatically important to follow closely. I mean until I won’t reach the E4/Gods forbid Claire dies this won’t have any effect, which means I can pretty much forget about it until that moment when I’ll check her rules again and just do the math about how many gems she gained up to that point. Still for the sake of order I’ll keep track of it through the game. Also, I admit that I’m still not fully satisfied with the way the lorerules that affect money work. It is quite hard balancing such rules as the money system tends to be quite different between games and generations, and I can’t predict how many of your lorerules will be related to money. Still the idea was to make you feel like your resources are limited and actually mean something (which goes well with the Advanced Lorelocke rules that often cause you to spend money on potions and other out-of-battle healing items). So, to summarize my thoughts on this subject - it is still very much a work in progress, but I do feel that money rules can have interesting effects in some of the playthroughs, and be rather irrelevant in others.

42PktVX.jpg

Ok, enough Lorelocke design rumbling, back to the game itself. We finally enter the Oreburgh Mines which is a new location! Perhaps here we could get a new encounter here? Though I admit my hopes aren’t very high, let’s try our luck!

ez1AJoC.jpg

Nope.

uhggTMj.jpg

Nope.

qoPevku.jpg

And nope. Guess it wasn’t meant to be. I’m King of the Dupes.

xqOGvvR.jpg

Stop taunting me! Where were those damn Machops when I was there?

lbXgU4E.jpg

Holy Horus! Almost lost Takagari there. I opened with Lorelei the Geodude and obviously switched to Takgari who took some damage. I then hit the Machop and was sure I could take it in one hit, but it survived on a sliver of health and Revenged Takagari into the deep-deep red. Luckily, we survived on 1 health, I should be more careful, in blind runs you need to take risks sometimes but you must always assume the worst.

vjPXOLj.jpg

FSFapZs.jpg

A few useful moves we learned along the way. I decided to teach Lorelei Rock Smash to help us clear our way through all these rocky mons, and this also allowed me to replace her Rock Polish move for another “Rock” move for her lorerule.

bMStbQh.jpg

Found Wally. Back to base.

OrdlAKP.jpg

Fought a few wild pokemon and trainers on my way back.

v2BeMTj.jpg

P3yRwKi.jpg

Woohoo! (A bit of an ugly middle stage compared to adorable Starly and Badass Staraptor, but I’ve seen worse).

fbIr8lO.jpg

And we got intimidate, sweet! Two pokemon on the same team with Intimidate is a really powerful combo and especially useful for switching/pivoting tactics (and three such pokemon including Asagi as a Gyarados could be totally broken to be honest :P, we’ll see if I’ll keep him on the team or not at that point).

Well, I guess all that we have left now is head to the gym and hope for the best. Just one more thing I want to do before that.

2jxLfO8.jpg

We head back to the last body of water we saw in route 203, there I activate Asagi’s lorerule again:

And this time link Asagi with Yeduah instead of Takagari, as I have a feeling Yeduah will be far more useful here, being a Grass type in a Rock gym.

On my way back I fought a few low leveled pokemon and Lorelei gained a level.

yvLV393.jpg

What the what? What’s that supposed to be? Why should I ever switch Defense Curl for Harden? Aren’t they exactly the same mechanistically plus Defense Curl gives that extra boost for Rollout? So, am I missing something here?

And now at last, it’s gym time!

YMWmWlp.jpg

In the spirit of the Long Journey rule and the sense of adventure (Even though the rule says nothing of gyms and buildings) I think I’ll try and do this in a single attempt without leaving the gym to heal before the gym leader battle. So, is our team ready?

FltrtoY.jpg

Hmm my main pokemon for this battle are probably Yeduah and Lorelei. I could use Claire and Takagari for some Intimidate Shenanigens but it could be VERY dangerous if not done properly. Fluke and Asagi are pretty useless here to be honest. I mean I can teach Fluke Rock Smash but I doubt it will help with its Rock weakness and low defense (still, I taught him that just in case things will get very messy, which means I’m left with one copy of this TM). So, are we ready? Or should I grind a bit? Or will the exp from the battles with these henchmen be enough? Levels 12-14 are a bit low, but who knows what the levels of this dude’s pokemon will be.

You know what? Let’s be brave and try our luck, hope we’ll make it! It will suck quite a lot losing so early but hi that’s the fun of Blind runs (and I say that as someone who have lost posted blind runs before, and I’ll tell you that’s NOT fun, but winning when you know this risk is very much is far sweeter).

znJfFOO.jpg

For gold and glory! (And exp, mainly exp).

hbN4qZw.jpg

I’ll be using Lorelei as she’s the one who needs this exp the most.

YbVxwZO.jpg

Nice.

oJ7D9kU.jpg

I, umm, what?

DOZaB7z.jpg

Crushed that rock serpent, guess I wanted to win?

LlPXa4R.jpg

And here’s the team just before the battle. Hopefully we are ready even though some of these levels seem low. I wonder when Turtwig evolves... Probably 16/17 right? And if Lorelei learns Magnitude in a level or two and I’m missing out on that. Sigh, Hope I’m not making a terrible mistake.

What’s our strategy? I guess we have a few options. Growth or Defense curl abuse? Opening with Yeduah? Or perhaps with Lorelei?

You know what, I’ll open with Takagari hoping I will bait a Rock move and could pivot into Lorelei who would resist at least, and get that sweet early intimidate.

I’m not sure what pokemon this guy uses. I think he has the two fossils of this region, but is that it? Or perhaps also a Geodude? And with which pokemon he will open? We’ll have to wait and see.

Let’s go!

kxFC9s9.jpg

I admit, these Chibis are adorable from certain angles.

Wish me luck!

HMU5FFT.jpg

jIuw79f.jpg

Takagari the Staravia lvl 14 vs Geodude lvl 12

3 pokemon damn, guess it’s the two fossil and a Geodude. But at least it is lvl 12, at least that’s good and shows I’m on the right levels.

wF50YJw.jpg

Intimidate takes effect.

Now I could pivot through Shinx here and get a double Intimidate, perhaps even a back-and forth pivoting between the two assuming it has a Ground type move. But there’s a good chance it doesn’t (because Lorelei doesn’t, so why a level 12 Geodude would). And I don’t want to risk it too much anyway. I could also get some chip damage before switching but unfortunately Takagari’s lorerule doesn’t allow that as he’ll have to stay in if it hits that Geodude. So let’s switch to Lorelei and hope for the best.

Formerly Trained Bird of Prey

Though technically, it says damage not a hit, so I can risk one turn and growl. I can even take a major risk and Double Team a bit...

What are the odds of this Geodude taking me from full health? I assume I’m faster, I’m mainly risking a crit here if anything.

Hell let’s do it, I’m going for Growl!

Takagari used Growl.

Geodude used Rollout, Takagari is at 22/40.

Oh no... Rollout is not good, not good at all.

Ok I obviously can’t stay in, this is very bad. I’m switching to Lorelei hoping she’ll resist this better, even with her low Defense nature.

Takagari return, go Lorelei.

Geodude used Rollout, Lorelei at 32/34.

Ok, we’re ok it seems. Interesting, that did nothing, perhaps due to the double attack decrease. Now let’s think. This turn was 60 BP, next 120, next 240, right? Or maybe there’s also 480, I can’t remember. No crits and I’m still fine, but should I risk it just to get some more defense for later on with a Defense Curl? Hmm, I don’t think so, my health is no less important than an extra defense boost, especially if I’m doing my best to avoid healing items. Ok, Let’s Rock Smash! Maybe it will miss at some point.

xA8dGo7.jpg

Hmm that didn’t do a lot of damage, and we didn’t get the Defense Drop which sucks. This is getting risky, next turn is 120BP. Not much else I can do at this point, Lorelei, again! Please get the def drop, or let the opponent a miss, that would be brilliant.

Lorelei used Rock Smash, Geodude at ~1/3 health, and got the defense drop.

Geodude used Rollout, Lorelei at 20/34. That hurt.

Lorelei, finish that sad excuse for a Geodude!

DNLzbne.jpg

Nice! (And Fluke and Claire leveled up in the process, Fluke learning Absorb). Who’s next?

G8Y6S0f.jpg

Interesting, didn’t expect that. If I had known there will be so many Ground+Rock dual types I would have probably opened with Yeduah. Wonder if it was also the same team in the originals and I just didn’t remember. Can Onix learn a Ground type move at this level? I don’t know... And I guess I have to take that risk.

t5l5o0m.jpg

And to top that Lorelei only has 4 PP of Rock Smash due to me not stopping in the Pokecenter before the battle.

Onix (He is faster than me!) used Stealth Rock. Ok...

Lorelei used Rock Smash, 4/5 health, but Def down, cool, good job Lorelei.

Onix used Rock throw, 17/34 HP, that’s nothing! Onix’s sucky attack for the rescue.

Lorelei used Rock Smash, 1/3 health left (and 2 PP). Interesting... Perhaps I should use another turn here for a Defense Curl? Tricky math... Nah my health is just too low. Going for a Rock Smash.

Onix used Rock Throw, 14/34 health.

Lorelei used Rock Smash, Onix down!

gQ8OBf8.jpg

And Lorelei gains a level, and a few extra health, useful! Sadly, still no Magnitude. Who’s last Roark?

EfkMTn7.jpg

I doubt I could do it in the exact same way, but I’m willing to try.

Vc1yKQF.jpg

Right... yeah I remember this little fella. For some reason I was sure he had the two fossil mons but it seems this is his ace. High attack and ok defense right? And if I remember correctly very early Headbutt. I think I could take one hit, and I’ll have to take that risk. Lorelei, last PP, use Rock Smash!

Cranidos used Bulldoze, Lorelei is dead, just like that.

*Sigh... Damn damn damn. If I knew it had a Ground type move I would have switched to Takagari. That guy has two Ground pokemon with no Ground moves and a Mono-Rock mon with one. Hmm, what can you do… Lorelei, we will avenge you!

Now I can play it risky and switch to Claire, hope it will go for Bulldoze, switch to Takagari, and then finally switch to Yeduah, to get two intimidates.

And I’ll do just that.

ElmKqab.jpg

Stealth Rock doing some damage, hurts but I can survive. Takagari wouldn’t like it though...

I’m switching to Takagari and praying he can take it.

p6gGCAX.jpg

Ouch, Takagari down to 12 health, can’t afford to do that again. Now please use a Ground move...

Cranidos used Leer.

Ha. Hmm. Ok sure, not what I thought but I guess that’s actually good, a bit scary though. I guess the A.I. didn’t see a kill with a Bulldoze there.

Takgari return, go Yedauh!

35/40 due to Stealth Rock damage.

Cranidos used Headbutt, 28/40. Ok, that’s actually pretty good. All those Intimidates paid off nicely.

Overall, it all played well, and Yeduah can stay as long as I need thanks to the Asagi effect on its lorerule. Now a crit might be the end of us so let’s hope we won’t get one. I can go Growth first but I think that’s not wise at this point. Yeduah my dear, Razor Leaf, and please don’t miss!

H8yPCak.jpg

Quick Claw active, Yedauh hits first. Razor Leaf connected, Cranidos survived on very low health.

5PE4pN9.jpg

Cranidos used Leer. Ok, I guess that’s good? Though there’s a good chance it out speeds us next turn.

What should I do next? Razor leaf is 95% accurate and that Cranidos is hanging on a few health points. I guess can use Tackle but I’m still not totally sure if will be enough to kill and that dude might have a potion anyway. Yeduah, Razor Leaf!

bohZ1d3.jpg

Called it.

Yeduah used Razor Leaf, Cranidos down!

0yoqjai.jpg

krBcWNa.jpg

We won!

Losing Lorelei sucks a lot... but I’m proud, we played well. Blind runs have their risks, but we I think we managed them correctly. Great job team!

J8RouLD.jpg

3mtD4J3.jpg

My eyes!

0jFx7qd.jpg

ROxOIb4.jpg

Stealth Rock is a useful and interesting to use move, but I’ll wait with it for now. 5 copies are quite impressive.

As we leave Roark’s gym we go to the graveyard and bury our fallen friend Lorelei, in the hopes that she will go to pokemon Valhala where she belongs. Lorelei, you joined us recently but you already made a mark on our team. You were a hero and this battle was won thanks to you. If I had known Cranidos had Bulldoze I never would have risked you staying in. You’ll be remembered.

DNXRZP8.jpg

Once more just like in the beginning of this chapter, we are down to a team of 5. Hopefully we’ll have some better encounter luck next time.

snRgxZK.jpg

Well, I guess we’re off to the next town, and this seems like the perfect place to end this chapter. Join us next time when we continue into the heart of Sinnoh and into the partially unknown. We’ll have exciting moments! Such as this one:

EBMoYrP.jpg

Gem counter on Claire the Shinx - 1
Asagi the Magikarp is linked to Yeduah the Turtwig, canceling its lorerule for now.

Yeduah the Turtwig - True Zoophyte

Takagari the Staravia - Formerly Trained Bird of Prey

Fluke the Kricketune - Symbol of Luck (already used the positive effect)

Claire the Shinx - The Clairvoyant Lynx

Asagi the Magikarp - The Grace of the Koi (linked to Yeduah)

Lorelei the Geodude (Rockslide) - Died in battle against Roark's Cranidos.

Eztli the Zubat lvl 4 Female (Chosen of Camazotz) - Released immediately after it was caught as part of its lorerule in order to avoid other negative effects.

Last edited:

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
oof, poor lorelei.... you were right not to try grinding up to ~15 on the off chance lorelei would learn magnitude. my geodude (in a casual run) has yet to learn any ground moves and she's nearly lvl 25

gotta say im really really excited to see how things go from here. i've been eyeballing the lore and data locke rulesets for a while now, and seeing them in action just makes me more curious to potentially try them myself

MelloNyello

El Gran Pepega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 16, 2021
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
Tri/Hard
Pokémon Type
  1. Flying
  2. ???
Wait... did you... individualy scale each 720p image?
That... sounds painful.
Also, good job on Roark Didn't even oneshot the ace, but lorelockes are harder so I digress.

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
Glad to see a new run from you, Ruby! I know the feeling of nostalgia from returning to a region for a remake, though I think mine's more powerful in this case. Sinnoh was not only the first region I ever played, but my first nuzlocke was a successful run of Platinum. That being said, Platinum being more popular than Diamond or Pearl in so many regards has messed with me on a few occasions already, so maybe you're better off than I am.

BDSP both use the original Sinnoh Pokedex, which means there are a lot of potential duplicates around. Sorry you ran into them so early though. At least you'll have plenty of chances to go for another Geodude, though Lorelei will be missed. This is a good game to have a lot of backups in the box, especially if you're going with a level limit if you want to keep your main team from curbstomping everything. Wishing you good luck with your next catches and looking forward to your next update!

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Poor old Lorelei - how cruel that the Lorelocke 'mon you were desperate to capture ended up being your first casualty. Roark's Cranidos slew my first SP capture, Kimberly the Bidoof - it (Cranidos, not Kimberly!) is a nasty combination of choppy and quick (for a Rock-type at least). I imagine it has the blood of many an unfortunate Nuzlocke companion on its claws.

Good luck with the next leg of your journey!

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Woohoo, so glad to see this on the forums!! :) and I love these advanced lorelocke rules, especially when it comes to your Zubat encounter. Normally That’s an encounter that normally would have just been skipped, but having to do your best to catch it and release it makes it more interesting. Wow, a very tense first gym battle and a very unfortunate death. The surprise type coverage of blindness strikes again. Looking forward to seeing more of this!!

Users who are viewing this thread