• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Want to get a banner into the adspace for yourself? Submissions for new banners are open until September 30th!
  • The Writer's Locke has released it's final episode! Come celebrate a fantastic project with it's last hoo-rah.
  • This month's feature has an ANIMATED TRAILER and a backpack shaped like a spheal, what more could you ask for? Read Endurance: In Our Blood by purplechug!
  • The Hidden Gems Showcase (2022) is now closed. Thank you all who turned out this year! You can find all the cool content that got featured here. I hope you find a new gem to read!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
Dee Nuzlockes 11 games--with readers choosing the starters and rulesets! Current status: No Evolution Y, chapter 7

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
I actually love the Kalos Berry Fields, since with so many plots and trees being able to give high yields, you can quickly build up a ton of Berries. I don't use them all, but I enjoy having a large stash of Sitrus Berries to heal up less serious damage. And then there's the mutations you can create, including for those helpful EV-reducing Berries. Between it and the Battle Chateau, I'd say Camphrier Town is by far the place I fly to most whenever I play XY.

Addendum: I can't really blame you for not allowing Snorlax by your rules. Giving players not just a required battle with a 540 BST Pokémon but a chance to capture it before the second badge is one of the many things about XY that make me suspect that the game designers thought "balance" was just the name of Norman's Gym Badge.

Last edited:
  • eyes
Reactions: Dee

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
honestly the berry gardens in kalos were SO helpful. i had so many leppa berries

so many

i miss the berry gardens, i wish they'd make a return, honestly? the berry island in sm wasn't....quite as good

and im not a fan of the berry trees in swsh

parfum palace remarkably critical of the rich

i like that in a tourist establishment

reshiram and zekrom really here as a wink to people from unova dksfj

i love shauna....

• Love

sky_

life is a trip alright (picrew by chereverie)
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
They are happy with rest, quiet and cuddles. They may try to be edgy or mysterious, but are often told that they present as the opposite.
Listen sky, I don't make the rules! People have been thirsting over Professor Sycamore, and he's not alone! Juniper, Kukui, Sonia... and now these new Scarlet and Violet profs. Game Freak decided to pivot from making their professors quirky, bookish men in middle age to the sort of people tumblr dreams about hahahaha.
xjkvhsfhkaSJAKFHKDSJFHSKJ oh dear lord ;sdhfsjfh i had heard about Kukui and Sonia, not Juniper too 😭
Ah, the infamous question! You see, you walk into a cafe, and a man asks, with no context: "Do you prefer it to be long, or short?" Your options are "long" "short" and "what?!" (And yes, those punctuation marks are included in the original.) It turns out he's talking about camera lens length, but you don't get clarification until after you answer.
oh dear lord have mercy why ksdfhksjdfhskjfhskjf
(Random thought: I think it would be awesome if Korrina was the Champion instead of Diantha, with an aces Fighting-type team and using her Lucario as a Mega Evolved superpowered mon… who’s with me? Give her one or two non-fighters for coverage, maybe a team like Hawlucha, Pangoro, Drapion, Machamp, Aegislash, Mega Lucario. I dunno.)
Omggggg yes xDDD that would definitely make things more difficult maybe? A Mega Lucario would be really scary as a final boss... Fighting/Steel is an even more powerful typing with new Fairy 'mons to beat up
the concierge tells us that he’s also the owner, doorman, bellhop, housekeeper, and cook. Hey, if you can pull all that off, more power to you!
Honestly this guy probably lying on his CV and he's just opened a door and sprinked some cheese on a plate once or twice ;pppp but he keeps spamming LinkedIn about living that #sidehustle life ;p
More insightful commentary from people in the palace. A maid points out that the owner only inherited it and didn’t do anything to deserve or earn his grand wealth, while a nearby man points out that just because parents excel doesn’t mean their children will do so. The real means of wealth is being born into it, and using said wealth to extend itself (like overcharging for tours of your palatial estate that you inherited) while others scrape by to break even. Another Tourist notes that the palace was built after an aristocrat won a war, gaining a bounty of treasure. She outright notes that a lot of people and pokemon lost their lives in the conflict—again, pointing out that the means of acquiring wealth often necessitates harming others. Others point out that the current owner of the palace can afford for every meal to be a feast, but he often dines alone—they wonder whether it wouldn’t be better to have a lively meal to be shared with everyone.
Oh my god that commentary actually sounds really cool xDD i think in the next games Game Freak's poor exhausted devs should drive the message home even harder and include a building like this with toymakers toiling at lightspeed in the basement ksjdfhsdkf

OP
Dee

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
Wow, I'm back! I... did not intend for this update to take over a month. Sorry! A combination of much grinding and also irl stuff preventing me from 'locking are to blame. We finally have a new chapter, but first...

I will happily concede this point, as I wholeheartedly agree that XY has an excellent selection of Pokemon to choose from. Sometime after I finish my lorelocke of Y, I'm hoping to do a magic-locke of X (Psychic, Ghost, Dragon, and Fairy types only), because while I'm not the biggest Kalos fan, it is one of the best games to do a type-restricted locke in because of the sheer variety within the game.

Fair enough. I actually made Pokemon Amie legal after the fifth gym in my Y lorelocke because I was inexplicably getting my butt whooped.

Red suits? Excuse me, but those are clearly red-orange.

There's a conspiracy theory by The Ruin Maniac Files on YouTube about why there are statues of Zekrom and Reshiram in Parfum Palace's garden. Look up "The Infinite Energy Files" playlist if you're interested.

Also, Cinnamon is adorable even if you likely won't be using him aside from as a HM navigator (I know the term currently in vogue is 'HM mule' but I feel like this sells short the importance of navigators on pre-Gen 7 teams). It's a shame he can't evolve into a long boi.

A magic-locke sounds very fun! I'll admit, I've considered a dragonlocke of Y--Kalos is one of the few games in the series which not only has enough dragons for a full team, but you also get plenty of viable pokemon really soon into the game. And yes, poor Cinnamon probably won't be in use for much more than an HM jockey (my term of choice haha) but he's cute nonetheless!

I actually love the Kalos Berry Fields, since with so many plots and trees being able to give high yields, you can quickly build up a ton of Berries. I don't use them all, but I enjoy having a large stash of Sitrus Berries to heal up less serious damage. And then there's the mutations you can create, including for those helpful EV-reducing Berries. Between it and the Battle Chateau, I'd say Camphrier Town is by far the place I fly to most whenever I play XY.

Addendum: I can't really blame you for not allowing Snorlax by your rules. Giving players not just a required battle with a 540 BST Pokémon but a chance to capture it before the second badge is one of the many things about XY that make me suspect that the game designers thought "balance" was just the name of Norman's Gym Badge.

I hear great things about the Berry Fields--I'm just far too single-minded to deal with them haha :'P

As for Snorlax, I actually did use one named Ymir for my first ever XY playthrough. He was indisputably my team's MVP, up to and including stomping Diantha's ace into the ground. The only downside is trying to live long enough to catch the dang thing...

honestly the berry gardens in kalos were SO helpful. i had so many leppa berries

so many

i miss the berry gardens, i wish they'd make a return, honestly? the berry island in sm wasn't....quite as good

and im not a fan of the berry trees in swsh

parfum palace remarkably critical of the rich

i like that in a tourist establishment

reshiram and zekrom really here as a wink to people from unova dksfj

i love shauna....

I should use the Berry Fields, I just... don't :'D

And yes, very interesting for a tourist place to smash the rich. Mixed messages for sure. And I love Shauna too... she's so charming

xjkvhsfhkaSJAKFHKDSJFHSKJ oh dear lord ;sdhfsjfh i had heard about Kukui and Sonia, not Juniper too 😭

oh dear lord have mercy why ksdfhksjdfhskjfhskjf

Omggggg yes xDDD that would definitely make things more difficult maybe? A Mega Lucario would be really scary as a final boss... Fighting/Steel is an even more powerful typing with new Fairy 'mons to beat up

Honestly this guy probably lying on his CV and he's just opened a door and sprinked some cheese on a plate once or twice ;pppp but he keeps spamming LinkedIn about living that #sidehustle life ;p

Oh my god that commentary actually sounds really cool xDD i think in the next games Game Freak's poor exhausted devs should drive the message home even harder and include a building like this with toymakers toiling at lightspeed in the basement ksjdfhsdkf

I think Korrina would just be a fun final boss, idk haha! I do find Diantha to be a bit of a letdown. And omg, Pokemon LinkedIn... you just know Giovanni is on there as a "legitimate businessman" complaining about how "free healthcare" in the form of Pokemon Centers is making trainers grow lazy and complacent

Current team: Nutmeg • Cayenne • Sirloin
650.png
667.png
4.png

Route 7

Welcome back! Last time, we explored Kalos's presentation of wealth and class, and also picked up a Poke Flute to wake up a sleeping lug of a Snorlax. Today, it's time to continue our journey through the region.

With the bridge clear, we can enter the route proper. Trevor and Tierno show up again and introduce us to the pokemon day care. It's really just a glorified tutorial, which is unfortunately the hand these two are dealt more often than not. They definitely don't get the fun and care that Shauna did…

While there are some flowers available right away to catch a pokemon, I'm going to hold off for now. The only really good catch here would be Roselia, which is a low 10% chance everywhere, but the flowers have a high chance of Flabebe, which under my rules would be bad. I'm shooting for the grass, which reduces their likelihood to raise the rate at which Croagunk is encountered instead.

Trevor and Tierno at least get the verisimilitude of exploring grass looking for pokemon, with Trevor running ahead from one patch to another on occasion. An Artist debuts with a Smeargle for us to battle against. I like this trainer type a lot, actually!

A little further down is the Battle Chateau. This is a great place to grind… in other rulesets. The high levels of the chateau are just gonna be way too much for me to deal with a bunch of unevolved mons, so we'll have to grind the normal way, alas. At the end of the route's main path, Serena is here and wanting a battle. It's a double battle, us against the T-twins!

BOSS: Trevor and Tierno
I lead with Nutmeg; Serena sends out Fletchling; Trevor and Tierno send out Corphish and Pikachu. Fletchling weakly attacks Corphish while Pikachu launches a Thundershock at it, and then Nutmeg smashes Corphish into dust with Vine Whip. The next turn, Fletchling lands another ineffectual Peck against Pikachu, getting paralyzed in the process, and then gets brought to the low yellow by Thundershock.

Vine Whip follows through and leaves Pikachu hanging by a scrap of HP. Fletchling powers through to KO it with Peck the following turn. Trevor sends out Flabebe. Fletchling is paralyzed and can't move, and then faints when Flabebe uses Fairy Wind; Nutmeg uses another Vine Whip to take it to the red. Serena sends out Braixen, who finishes the fight with an Ember attack.

After the fight, Serena says something about going to Ambrette Town and… that's it. No comment on her win, not even a single line from Trevor or Tierno about their sudden loss. It's just disheartening! If you're gonna shove so many characters into the game, give them some personality!

At the end of the route, we find a cavern. Let's go ahead and make our grand entrance!

Connecting Cave

My attempt to encounter a new pokemon falls short when I inadvertently end up triggering a battle against a Pokemon Breeder. A little farther beyond, we're walled in by two big stones. Time to come back with Strength! But first…

293.png

Name: Pudding
Species: Whismur
Ability: Soundproof
Nature: Modest
Location encountered: Connecting Cave
Type: Normal

Say hello to Pudding! Unfortunately, his stats are lackluster even with his excellent nature… to the box with you, little guy. But I'm glad to have you on the team nonetheless! Alright, let's return.

Route 7

With the cave a bust, it's time to head south. And look! A grassy patch!

187.png

Name: Rosemary
Species: Hoppip
Ability: Leaf Guard
Nature: Relaxed
Location encountered: Route 7
Type: Grass/Flying

I wasn't expecting a horde battle—and I definitely wasn't expecting a lone Hoppip to take over a dozen balls before it was caught! Rosemary made me work for it. I don't think I need such a frail pokemon, so into the box you go, Rosemary!

and literally the next fight was a horde of Roselia aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA

Okay, it's fine. It's fine! At the end of the grassy patch is a Persim Berry, and behind a cuttable tree is a Silver Powder. There's another cave entrance nearby.

Connecting Cave

Unlike the northern path, this section is a straight shot to the other side, in which waits…

Route 8

The second of the two areas in Kalos which I have applied Pinwheel Clause to, Route 8 has a distinct split between its upper and lower areas. Right off the bat, we run back into Sina and Dexio, who upgrade our pokedex to handle Kalos's coastal areas. Neat!

A hidden path near the entrance leads us to an even more hidden Super Potion disguised behind a rock. A maze of one-way ledges also takes us to an HP Up, followed by a Rising Star who uses an Axew! It's a close match, but Sirloin pulls through. Still, the closeness of the battle doesn't bode well for future matchups… A Strength block bars us from a shortcut, so we have to take the long way around—but that leads us to a patch of flowers! Let's see who we can get!

325.png

Name: Truffle
Species: Spoink
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Adamant
Location encountered: Route 8
Type: Psychic

A pleasant surprise! Spoink has pretty decent stats for an NFE pokemon. I'll admit, it's a bit disheartening that Truffle has what is probably the worst possible nature for his species… but I'm in dire need of a decent psychic pokemon, so I'll take what I can get. Welcome to the team, Truffle!

After a little bit of time leveling him to the position of the rest of the team, it's time for Truffle to test his mettle against a nearby Black Belt, and he does so with aplomb! What a good little guy! The bottom path is visible below us, but there's no reason to focus on it just yet. Southward, a little maze of hoppable stones surrenders a Leaf Stone. Ah, an evolution item… in this ruleset, good for money and nothing else. And beyond…

Ambrette Town

Such a lovely seaside town! Serena gatecrashes us to insist that we head to the Fossil Lab and learn about fossils, reasoning that maybe they have something to do with Mega Stones. They don't, but whatever. Let's check it out.

A lady in front of the aquarium gives us the Rock Smash TM, which is going to be useful in getting some squadmates in the future! A punk nearby lets us trade a Poke Ball for a Dive Ball. Hey, I won't say no to that. A bench at the south side of town gives us a nice scenic view—I wish they'd brought that mechanic back as an easter egg or something for future gens. It would have been nice!

Another trainer, this time in the hotel, gives us the Nature Power TM. On the second floor, we meet a woman who says it's her first vacation in a long time. I can tell—she's so used to working she forgot to change out of her maid outfit before heading out! In a nearby room, Mr. Bonding gives us the Sp. Def O-Power. Useful!

After we're done dawdling, Serena accompanies us into the Fossil Lab. There, the scientist greets us as "future archaeologists". I like your gumption, but I'm all about that battle life! After admitting that he doesn't know anything about Mega Evolution, the scientist backpedals and insists that we visit his dig site in Glittering Cave just to be sure his assistant doesn't know anything either. Well… sure. Why not. And Serena can come too.

Route 9

The man in the gate talks about the famous Rhyhorn rider, Grace. Hey, that's our mom! Another lady gives us the Rocky Helmet, which is one of my favorite items. Let's slap that on Truffle! On the route proper, we hop on a Rhyhorn and make it a good ways in before encountering our first pokemon.

449.png

Name: Hazelnut
Species: Hippopotas
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Careful
Location encountered: Route 9
Type: Ground

Hey, a decent pokemon! Hippopotas isn't bad, and Hazelnut even has a good nature! Sand Stream doesn't really mesh well with my team as-is… but I think I'm going to at least give her a shot. Welcome aboard, Hazelnut!

A little side path gives us an X Defense. Ahead, a fork branches between a Paralyze Heal and a hidden Fire Stone (more sell fodder!) and the way forward. Overshooting the entrance takes us to a Dusk Ball, and then it's back the way we came. A ranger near the cavern entrance heals up the team, and a rock near her hides a Super Repel. And then, it's time to head inside!

Glittering Cave

This is the first place where I'm more likely to get a pokemon I'd like than one I'd not! Let's see who we can find.

66.png

Name: Orzo
Species: Machop
Ability: Guts
Nature: Lax
Location encountered: Glittering Cave
Type: Fighting

And another good find! I've been wanting for a Fighting-type, and I think little Orzo here is going to do just fine. After dropping quite the number of hours training up both Orzo and Hazelnut, it's finally time to progress!

Despite the cave's reputation for being easy to get lost in, it's actually not that bad—its supposed mazelike nature is actually due to the close-following camera and the fact that there's no real landmarks to tell your way. The cave itself is a simple straight shot with three dead-end side paths. One of them contains nothing of note (for now; in the postgame, it gives a Kangaskhanite), one has a Hard Stone, and the other yields the Shadow Claw TM. Once we're through the maze segment, it's time for the back half of the cave.

When we step in, someone in a truly garish hot orange suit is waiting for us. To the tune of a catchy and vaguely siniste beat, he introduces himself as a member of Team Flare. They only care about themselves, and don't care who they hurt! When we refuse to skedaddle, he initiates a fight. Hazelnut and Truffle make quick work of his Houndour and Zubat, respectively. Still, he's not the only baddie in the cavern! Heading in, we encounter another grunt and then a duo. Thankfully, Serena shows up to help us in a double battle. It's a pretty easy encounter despite the two enemy pokemon ganging up on her Espurr, and then afterwards the fashionistas retreat, lamenting that selling pokemon fossils was going to be a way of making good money.

Just a little past them is an Escape Rope tucked away in a corner, followed by a scientist—our AWOL fossil researcher! He doesn't even know what Team Flare is, but that doesn't stop him from giving us a fossil. We have our choice of Jaw or Sail. I'm heartbroken… Amaura is one of my favorite pokemon, well, ever—but in a no evo run, that Rock/Ice typing is just going to be far too frail to rely on. I'd be despondent to lose it, so I'll pick Jaw. Maybe next time, Amaura!

The other fossil is given to Serena, who—just like the Kanto starter—refuses to put it on her team or use it in any way. What's even the point of giving your rival these cool pokemon if they don't use them? After a pretty generic speech where Serena decides to get stronger to protect people from Team Flare, the researcher returns to the lab, inviting us to come along and get our fossils revived. And I think that's what we're gonna do—next time! It was a pretty fun update with some new teammates acquired and the promise of another good one on the horizon. See you soon!

Current team: Nutmeg • Cayenne • Sirloin • Truffle • Hazelnut • Orzo
650.png
667.png
4.png
325.png
449.png
66.png

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
The other fossil is given to Serena, who—just like the Kanto starter—refuses to put it on her team or use it in any way. What's even the point of giving your rival these cool pokemon if they don't use them?
I absolutely agree, and this is yet another indication that Kalos deserved more game development than it got. Not only did we never get Pokemon Z, but XY before it basically felt to me like a glorified tech demo. (Granted, a very beautiful tech demo, but still a tech demo.) We didn't even get a patch to add in the ORAS primals/megas, which is ridiculous.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
oooooo congrats on your new kids!!!!!!!!

amaura really is pretty, but im personally quite pleased you picked jaw

tyrantrum/tyrunt are one of my favorite fossils!!! kalos really out here like "did you main little foot or chomper from the land before time as a kid"

one day the gang will all be there, but for now......

• Love
OP
Dee

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
I absolutely agree, and this is yet another indication that Kalos deserved more game development than it got. Not only did we never get Pokemon Z, but XY before it basically felt to me like a glorified tech demo. (Granted, a very beautiful tech demo, but still a tech demo.) We didn't even get a patch to add in the ORAS primals/megas, which is ridiculous.
Not patching the game was absurd, but par the course for Nintendo in the early to mid 10s, I suppose. It always feels like they're clugging it out a decade behind everyone else. I have come to appreciate Kalos the more I play it--X and Y are very ambitious games, and certain areas really do feel lovingly crafted. But the only reason they're not the most incomplete games in the series is because the original DP duology is right there.

oooooo congrats on your new kids!!!!!!!!

amaura really is pretty, but im personally quite pleased you picked jaw

tyrantrum/tyrunt are one of my favorite fossils!!! kalos really out here like "did you main little foot or chomper from the land before time as a kid"

one day the gang will all be there, but for now......
I love Amaura so much, so it was heartbreaking to split from them. I hope Tyrunt lives up to the hype! And wow, you're not wrong about that haha.

Episode 5: Fossil Fighters

Current team: Nutmeg • Cayenne • Sirloin • Truffle • Hazelnut • Orzo
650.png
667.png
4.png
325.png
449.png
66.png

Ambrette Town

Welcome back! Last time we caught a lot more pokemon and had our first encounter with the fashion disasters that pass for the baddies in this region. This time we're back in Ambrette, following the fossil guy as promised! But not before snagging a well-hidden Heart Scale from behind the Pokemon Center. Huzzah!

Inside the Fossil Lab, the main doctor gives us an Aerodactylite as thanks for rescuing his assistant. Wowza! That's one of the few mega stones you can use in-game in X and Y before trading and/or seeing the end credits. (Considering this was the debut of the mechanic, they really should have been more generous handing those out. At least ORAS rectified it, though given my ruleset I suppose it's moot no matter how you look at it…)

But the assistant is able to turn that Jaw Fossil we got last time into a brand spanking new pokmeon!

696.png

Name: Roquefort
Species: Tyrunt
Ability: Strong Jaw
Nature: Docile
Location encountered: Ambrette Town (gift; revived fossil)
Type: Rock/Dragon

Not a bad nature for our little dragon! I'll take neutral over something like Modest. Roquefort also comes pre-packaged with Bite and Charm, and I'm able to quickly get Bulldoze on him as well. Now it's time for some grinding!

…with that out of the way, Roquefort is now even with the rest of our team at a solid lv. 25. Let's progress, shall we?

Inside the aquarium, a friendly old man gives us an Old Rod. Thanks! A lady nearby claims that Water is the second-most-common type after Normal, which I don't believe is true? I think it's the other way around, even in Gen VI. Would love confirmation on this from someone more patient than I am! Anyway, the southern exit takes us right to the route!

Route 8

As a reminder, Route 8 is subject to Pinwheel Clause under my rules, and thus the lower part of the route counts as another encounter. There's fishing and whatnot we could do, but I'm not interested in a Magikarp. Let's see who we find via Rock Smash!

557.png

Name: Escargot
Species: Dwebble
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Naughty
Location encountered: Route 8
Type: Bug/Rock

Say hello to Escargot! I'm excited to have her on the team! We also get a Mago Berry while we're here. But before continuing on our plot-given path, there's another encounter newly available to us!

Ambrette Town

Heading south along the coast takes us to a hidden spot of town only available via the beach. This gives us a Pearl and a hidden Rare Candy. I then try to catch a Binacle! …emphasis on try. Orzo knocked it out with one Thief attack, oof. Maybe next time.

Route 8

Back on the main path, a beachcomber gives us a Dowsing Rod which we immediately put to good use, picking up a Pearl, a Heart Scale, a Stardust, and an Ultra Ball! Huzzah!

Heading north, we run into some Water-type specialists like Swimmers and Fishermen. And just a little further north…

Cyllage City

We're here, our next destination! Cyllage is a sporty seaside town with a bike racetrack running all through it. There's a lot to do!

First thing, we enter a nearby house and pick up a Satchet. The others in the house hint as to its nature and usefulness. I already lost my chance for a Spritzee and can't evolve pokemon regardless, so it's basically just sell fodder for me.

A hidden rock nearby carries an Ether, and a second house exists to tell us about the GTS. I uh… don't think that exists anymore, guys… The Bike Shop says that we are the 10,001st​ customer to arrive to the store, which means no free bike for us… unless we win a quiz, that is! Make up your mind, guy. Anyway, we get a free bicycle after correctly deducing that bikes—gasp!—come in multiple colors.

Inside Hotel Cyllage, a pair of tourists give us the Rest and Sleep Talk TMs. Probably not gonna mess with those strats, sorry! A Maid on the second floor gives us the Destiny Knot item, which is great for specialized breeding and meh in-game. Another hotel worker cleaning rooms boasts that he "never drops the balls". Um… no comment. Mr. Bonding, meanwhile, gives us the Prize Money O-Power. Outside, using the Dowsing Machine on the beach nearby gives us another Pearl.

On the coastal cliffside, we meet a fellow with a climbing wall for hair. This is Grant, the Gym Leader! Apologizing for beating us in a race we didn't even know we were in, he gives us the Strength HM as a "consolation." But we can't use it outside of battle till we beat him. Um… thanks. Down the slope from his gym is an X Defense, and a hiker near Connecting Cave gives us the Frustration TM. An X Sp. Attack is nearby as well. Is it time to take on the Gym? Not quite… I have another last-minute thing in mind.

Route 10

Just north of Cyllage sits this pleasant hideaway. And hey—no need to wonder what my pokemon is gonna be when I can use Honey to force the issue into one of two teammates, Yanma or Nosepass! (After snagging an Iapapa Berry, of course.) Let's see who we get!

193.png

Name: Oregano
Species: Yanma
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Lonely
Location encountered: Route 10
Type: Bug/Flying

Not bad! With Escargot and now Oregano, I have some good Bug-types for my team. I'm a fan of bug pokemon, so this is fine by me! (They'll probably sit out the gym battle, however.) After training them both up, it's time to fight Grant!

Cyllage City

Grant's gym is, to put a word to it, awesome. A giant gem-studded climbing tower in the middle of a crystalline cavern with a rushing waterfall in the background? Hallelujah! His gym trainers are actually nothing to scoff at either, rocking (heh) tough customers like Solrock and Lunatone, Relicanth, and Rhyhorn. Still, I'm able to make it through easily enough, and then the man himself awaits us for a big showdown.

BOSS: Gym Leader Grant
Grant sends out his lv. 25 Amaura; I send out Orzo, who's lv. 26 and empowered by a Defense O-Power. After Orzo eats a pretty powerful Take Down move from the brachiosaur (changed to be Ice-type thanks to Refrigerate) he retaliates with a Revenge attack that OHKOs the dino.

Grant's next pokemon is his Tyrunt, also lv. 25. For this fight, I swap to Hazelnut! Sand is summoned, but that's a moot point as Tyrunt takes no damage from the weather. On turn one, Tyrunt does about one third of Hazelnut's HP with its Bite attack and she inflicts Yawn on it. The next turn, Bite takes Hazelnut down to the mid yellow and makes her flinch, but Tyrunt falls asleep. The following turn I heal up Hazelnut with a Super Potion as Tyrunt continues sleeping, and the next a Bulldoze takes Tyrunt down to the red as it stays asleep. The turn after, Grant uses a Hyper Potion to heal, but Hazelnut just uses Bulldoze again. The sand fades away. Finally, Hazelnut uses one last Bulldoze to cinch victory! Way to go, Hazelnut!

In the aftermath, Grant praises us for our skill and awards us both the Cliff Badge and the Rock Tomb TM. That will do for now. Next time, we'll continue onward! See you there!

Deaths: 0
Badges: 2

Current team: Nutmeg • Sirloin • Truffle • Hazelnut • Orzo • Roquefort

650.png
4.png
325.png
449.png
66.png
696.png

On reserve: Cayenne • Escargot • Oregano

667.png
557.png
193.png

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
But the only reason they're not the most incomplete games in the series is because the original DP duology is right there.
Agreed, and it really says something that DP actually outdoes LGPE and Swish in this regard. Which is exactly why BDSP being 'faithful remakes' was objectively a terrible decision. Fortunately BDSP was made in Unity, which apparently makes them a lot easier to hack than the other 3D games, so there are people out there hacking Platinum features and more into the game.
Inside the aquarium, a friendly old man gives us an Old Rod. Thanks! A lady nearby claims that Water is the second-most-common type after Normal, which I don't believe is true? I think it's the other way around, even in Gen VI. Would love confirmation on this from someone more patient than I am! Anyway, the southern exit takes us right to the route!
This could help you, although you'll have to do some maths.

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
Inside the aquarium, a friendly old man gives us an Old Rod. Thanks! A lady nearby claims that Water is the second-most-common type after Normal, which I don't believe is true? I think it's the other way around, even in Gen VI. Would love confirmation on this from someone more patient than I am!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not right. Water currently outnumbers Normal by over 20 Pokémon, and Gens VII-VIII didn't add that many Water types with few enough Normal types. (I did do some counting for this using Bulbapedia pages, and while it was hard to get an exact number, since I don't know how they count regional forms and Mega Evolutions towards the totals, it still looks like Water outnumbered Normal in Gen VI.)

I agree, Grant's Gym is one of the better ones in Kalos. Creative design, varied Pokémon for the Gym Trainers to use, and even a way to quickly return to the entrance without beating the Gym Leader! If only some of the others didn't ignore that last part…

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
nside the aquarium, a friendly old man gives us an Old Rod. Thanks! A lady nearby claims that Water is the second-most-common type after Normal, which I don't believe is true? I think it's the other way around, even in Gen VI. Would love confirmation on this from someone more patient than I am!
i decided counting was for nerds, so i just googled "what's the most common type" and apparently the top result says water at 16% of all pokemon (144 water types) and normal at 115 normal types

the more you know
A hidden rock nearby carries an Ether, and a second house exists to tell us about the GTS. I uh… don't think that exists anymore, guys…
actually the gts does still exist! if you have pokemon home's mobile app

that's the only way to access the gts now, unless you want to do bdsp's version

OP
Dee

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Agreed, and it really says something that DP actually outdoes LGPE and Swish in this regard. Which is exactly why BDSP being 'faithful remakes' was objectively a terrible decision. Fortunately BDSP was made in Unity, which apparently makes them a lot easier to hack than the other 3D games, so there are people out there hacking Platinum features and more into the game.

This could help you, although you'll have to do some maths.
I will never understand the reasoning behind de-Platinuming Sinnoh for the remakes...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not right. Water currently outnumbers Normal by over 20 Pokémon, and Gens VII-VIII didn't add that many Water types with few enough Normal types. (I did do some counting for this using Bulbapedia pages, and while it was hard to get an exact number, since I don't know how they count regional forms and Mega Evolutions towards the totals, it still looks like Water outnumbered Normal in Gen VI.)

I agree, Grant's Gym is one of the better ones in Kalos. Creative design, varied Pokémon for the Gym Trainers to use, and even a way to quickly return to the entrance without beating the Gym Leader! If only some of the others didn't ignore that last part…

Yeah, Water's been king for a while now afaik. And I do love the Kalos Gyms in general for their designs!

i decided counting was for nerds, so i just googled "what's the most common type" and apparently the top result says water at 16% of all pokemon (144 water types) and normal at 115 normal types

the more you know

actually the gts does still exist! if you have pokemon home's mobile app

that's the only way to access the gts now, unless you want to do bdsp's version

I knew it was water! And I didn't know about the GTS :0

Current team: Nutmeg • Sirloin • Truffle • Hazelnut • Orzo • Roquefort
650.png
4.png
449.png
325.png
66.png
696.png

Cyllage City

Good to have you back! Last time, we got enough pokemon to have a rotating team and took on Grant, successfully claiming our second badge. This time, we're going to continue on our journey! With Grant beaten, it's time to head north—but not before putting our new Strength HM to good use!

Route 8

On the upper side of the route, a square block prevents us from traversing along the cliff face. Getting it out of the way snags us a Water Stone! And nearby, let's return to Connecting Cave.

Connecting Cave

A boulder from the Cyllage City side is blocking the way to the Aerial Ace TM, which is much appreciated on Oregano. The other blocks give way to a shortcut! Sorry, Ambrette Town—I won't have much occasion to visit you anymore. And with that… let's progress! To the north!

Route 10

As a reminder, I popped in here last time to pick up Oregano, so no encounter for me. Another Iapapa Berry waits near the route's entrance, and a puzzle involving a pushable block yields both a hidden Revive and the Thunder Wave TM. Nearby, on the main trail, a Psychic came by to "recharge" with the power of the standing stones. Um, aren't those pokemon graves…?

Further up there's a random shout-out to Colress, of all people! GF brought him back in Alola too, they really must have liked him. A Mind Plate is tucked in the corner, and an X Accuracy is inside a grassy patch. A suspiciously bare plot of grass relinquishes a hidden Paralyze Heal, and then we get a surprise reappearance by Team Flare! The grunt almost betrays their plans for the standing stones, but gets distracted by his recognition of (and desires for revenge towards) us. Thankfully, his mons are pretty easy to beat. Funny, for a team based all around wealth and elitism, you'd think the reward money they pay out would be more generous…

Anyway, there's another hidden Burn Heal in the north end of the route, followed by a Thunder Stone guarded by a Psychic—one who, like the fellow before, claims to feel energy from the stones. Interesting… More Team Flare grunts appear to harry us, but they're not coordinated in any way. And then beyond…

Geosenge Town

I love this town's music. Love it. So lovely~

An older gentleman in the pokemon center gives us the Payback TM, and there's a hidden Timer Ball behind a southern house. In the hotel—intriguingly named Hotel Marine Snow—Mr. Bonding gives us the Speed O-Power! A ranger in the building tells us more about the strange stones in Route 10; namely that they've been here since time immemorial and there are—hundreds of millions of them?! I don't… think that's right? All those in one route? That's crazy!

A scientist in one of the houses gives us an Everstone, and a fellow in another tells us a 'myth' of a man wandering for 3,000 years. Well, you can't believe everything you hear! But that's not all. A member of Team Flare leads us on a wild goose chase and disappears after saying that Team Flare will 'use an ancient artifact and the power of the stones on Route 10 to change the world'. Wow! That's just… right in the open, huh. Serena arrives, gives a single line about Team Flare being weird, and disappears. Alright… bye, I guess.

Anyway, it's time to progress through the gate on the other end of town—but we get ambushed by a certain roller-riding Gym Leader! She says her Lucario has taken a shine to us, and wants to test us through a battle. So nothing to it but to do it, I guess!

BOSS: Gym Leader Korrina

Korrina has two pokemon, both identical. She sends out her first lv. 25 Lucario and I reply with Orzo. On the first turn, Lucario terrifyingly uses Swords Dance—but Orzo lands a critical hit with Low Sweep to OHKO! Nice! She sends out her next pokemon, also Lucario, and I keep in Orzo. This Lucario also uses Swords Dance, and this time, Low Sweep doesn't crit, which means that Lucario stays in. The next turn, Lucario—Metal Sounds? Okay… well, another Low Sweep takes it.

That was anticlimactic.

Korrina invites us to press onward to Shalour City to challenge her properly, and then rollerskates off. Let's take after her!

Route 11

New route new catch! Let's do this!

32.png

Name: Rarebit
Species: Nidoran (male)
Ability: Poison Point
Nature: Lax
Location encountered: Route 11
Type: Poison

…I encountered another horde. Not gonna lie, I would have loved Nidorina or Nidorino, but I think a lowly Nidoran just isn't gonna cut it in Kalos. To the box you go, Rarebit.

There's a tree with some Sitrus Berries nearby, as well as a Psychic with a Sigilyph that seriously gives us a run for our money! I manage to squeak out a win with no deaths thanks to Truffle coming in clutch with Thunder Wave, but it was seriously touch-and-go for a bit there! Amazingly enough, the notorious Frank and Sly don't give me near as much trouble. I lead with Oregano and Truffle, and ganging up on Machoke with Aerial Ace and Psybeam, respectively, is enough to take it down before it even gets a chance to move. Then the rest of the battle is just a lopsided 2v1.

As we approach the nearby cavern, Prof. Sycamore calls us on the Holo Caster to let us know that an old friend of his, the Mega Evolution guru, will meet us in Shalour City. My guy… you sent us on a wild goose chase around the Kalos region to find out stuff about Mega Evolution when you already have a friend who's the guru of said technique?! I swear!

There's a Hyper Potion up some stairs, and then a Rock Polish TM and a hidden Super Potion behind a cuttable tree—and then it's time to enter the next locale.

Reflection Cave

That Sigilyph served as a wake-up-call for me, so I took a bit of time to level everyone in both the main and backup teams. That's the whole party up to lv. 29! Plus, you know what a new zone means—new encounter!

577.png

Name: Jell-O
Species: Solosis
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Docile
Location encountered: Reflection Cave
Type: Psychic

Solosis, huh? Insane special attack for a NFE mon (105 base special attack!) but abysmal everywhere else. I suspect that he'll die the moment I tried anything, so I'll box Jell-O in favor of Truffle for now. I'm otherwise terrified of running into Wobbuffet so I'm just going to be slathering myself with Repels 24/7.

The bit of trainers facing the wall in this cave but still being able to have "line of sight" thanks to their reflections is a neat little trick that plays off of the established game rules. Less charming is that the first guy we encounter says he is "thinking about never leaving this place". Uh… did the fae folk kidnap you or something, guy? There's not exactly the conveniences of home in this random cave! Though I suppose you wouldn't have to deal with landlords…

At the forthcoming crossroads, there's lots of ways to go. North leads to a dead end with a single Nest Ball, and east is much the same but with a Revive. The southern path leads to a match against Battle Girl Hedvig (thank you for the save on that one, Nutmeg and Truffle) and a small sidepath to acquire a Moon Stone. After beating an Ace Trainer (the first of that class you can encounter in Kalos, unless I'm mistaken!) it's time to head to the basement.

Down there, a breeder heals our pokemon, and then we pick up a Black Belt! A little bit south, Tierno (when did you get here?) gives us the Flash TM, which in this region acts as an encounter reducer instead. Nice and all, but I think I'll just stick to my repels instead of wasting a moveslot or sticking an HM jockey on my team.

A fun little puzzle ahead shows us a seemingly impassible rock ledge, but the solution? The mirror shows that there are secret steps leading up to it! Smart! A little further ahead, a Psychic claims that "since ancient times, mirrors have possessed secret power" and that he will steal that power to destroy us. Boy, first the standing stones and now these mirrors… Psychics in Kalos are actually kind of sinister, aren't they? (Funnily enough, after beating him, he says that one look at my pokemon tells him what kind of trainer I am. Probably meant to flatter you by saying you're 'strong' but given that I'm doing a no evo run, it sounds like he's calling me juvenile!)

Unfortunately, tragedy strikes… against a forthcoming Ace Trainer, I lead with Truffle and he sends out an Absol. Knowing the matchup is abysmal, I switch… and Absol uses Pursuit.

My poor little piggy never stood a chance.

325.png
Truffle has been killed. RIP, Truffle.

Escargot cleans up both the Absol and the Pinsir that comes after, but I'm still a bit down. Losing a teammate is never fun, especially since I'd made it so far in my no evo run already. I hope it's not the start of a trend…

A short detour to a level below the basement leads us to the Earth Plate and the Gyro Ball TM, as well as an area that's focused on the elemental genies and thus useless to a normal XY run. Back up to the ground floor, there's a lone Hiker to battle and a rock to push down for a shortcut, and then…

Shalour City

We've made it! Having crossed through the cave, we're now at our next destination, Shalour City. Sadly, it wasn't a costless venture... poor Truffle was a casualty. Hopefully we can keep the numbers low. Next time, I think I'll meet you for our big showdown with Korrina. See you then!

Deaths: 1
Badges: 2

Current team: Nutmeg • Cayenne • Escargot • Oregano • Roquefort

650.png
667.png
557.png
193.png
696.png

On reserve: Sirloin • Hazelnut • Orzo

4.png
449.png
66.png

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Solosis, huh?
SOLOSIS YEAH

another favorite pokemon dkfj

aw too bad about truffle, what a good little pig he was :(

you've done really good so far, i hope truffle is just an anomaly..

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
I will never understand the reasoning behind de-Platinuming Sinnoh for the remakes...
There is a theory that those involved deliberately made the DP remakes lackluster so they wouldn't cannibalize Legends Arceus's sales, and while I don't think this is what actually happened, I do understand where the theorists are coming from. I just wish that we'd gotten remakes that actually elevated the games rather than just being basically the same game with a weird artstyle.

OP
Dee

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
SOLOSIS YEAH

another favorite pokemon dkfj

aw too bad about truffle, what a good little pig he was :(

you've done really good so far, i hope truffle is just an anomaly..
Yeah, it really is pretty sad to lose Truffle :(

That said, for how punishing this ruleset can be, only one death so far is nice! I'm doing better than I thought

There is a theory that those involved deliberately made the DP remakes lackluster so they wouldn't cannibalize Legends Arceus's sales, and while I don't think this is what actually happened, I do understand where the theorists are coming from. I just wish that we'd gotten remakes that actually elevated the games rather than just being basically the same game with a weird artstyle.
I don't mind the chibi artstyle actually, but yeah BDSP felt empty and the mandatory exp share in a game not tuned for it was a baffling design choice

Current team: Nutmeg • Cayenne • Roquefort • Escargot • Oregano
650.png
667.png
696.png
557.png
193.png

Shalour City

Welcome back! Last time, we made it through Reflection Cave, though not without our first loss—Truffle the Spoink. Losing such a cute little pokemon was pretty hard, especially considering that I'd really come to like him over the time he was on the team… I'd found myself hoping that he'd stick around for the long haul, but I guess it wasn't to be. Oh well.

This time, we're on the coastal town of Shalour, where the professor directed us to meet a Mega Evolution guru. Korrina also invited us to challenge her for real at her gym. After a swing by the pokemon center to heal up and swap around our team, it's time to explore the city. The center is selling the Poison Jab TM for 10,000 pokedollars, so I think it's a good idea to pick that up so we have some counters to fairies. A lady in a small house gives us some Stardusts after Oregano helps her get down some luggage.

An older woman in the house next door is impressed by the affection our pokemon have for us, and gives us a Soothe Bell as a reward. We also run into Mr. Bonding again, who gives us the Critical O-Power. But the biggest reward of all? A scientist who provides us with… the Eviolite!

Excuse me for a moment. Ahem.

YEEEEEEEEEE-HHHAAAAAAAAWWWWWW!

Finally! Finally! A way to help patch my team's (to put it gently) frailties! It's probably no exaggeration to say that this is the most important item in the run, and it's finally ours! Hallelujah!

Elsewhere in town, someone says he knows a Hiker who likes Ferris Wheels who 'finally found love'. A shout-out to a certain infamous encounter in BW?

Deeper in the city, Trevor and Tierno appear and reaffirm our duty. Tierno also gives us an Intriguing Stone! With that in our pocket, let's enter the imposing structure on the far end of the bay—the Tower of Mastery!

Tower of Mastery

With somber and mystical music serenading us onward, it's time for us to see what we can do here in the tower. A truly massive statue of Lucario reposes in the center, and in the chamber beneath Lucario's pedestal is Korrina and her grandfather, the guru!

The guru wants to know who found the Intriguing Stone. You can try and lie, but he sees through you immediately and makes you cough up the truth—that Tierno gave you the stone. Though the whole thing is pointless anyway, as the Intriguing Stone is just a pretty-looking but ordinary rock.

When Shauna and Serena arrive, it's time for the lot of us to hear the spiel. The guru opens by saying 'so I can assume you lot know about pokemon evolution?' Well, funny thing, my guy… I actually don't in this run! After he and his granddaughter explain what Mega Evolution is, the guru drops the bad news: he only has one extra Mega Ring, so most of our motley group are going to wind up disappointed! It quickly comes down to us and Serena. It's been a while… in fact, this is probably the longest wait in the series before you have a proper rival battle. I'm looking forward to seeing what Serena has in store!

BOSS: Serena
It's time for our first battle against the game's main rival! Serena leads with a lv. 28 Meowstic; I open with Escargot. On the first turn Meowstic makes Escargot flinch with Fake Out, but it hurts itself with the Rocky Helmet! The following turn, the psychic kitty unleashes a crit Disarming Voice that thankfully isn't that powerful, leaving Escargot comfortably in the green. Bug Bite takes it down to the yellow. Another Disarming Voice leaves Escargot just above half health, and then another Bug Bite takes the win.

Serena's next pokemon is Braixen, lv. 30. I pivot to Roquefort. Braixen's Psybeam does about 40% of Roquefort's HP, and his Rock Tomb takes it to the mid yellow. Braixen then uses Fire Spin for tiny damage and Roquefort takes it out with Bulldoze.

Serena's final teammate is her lv. 28 Absol. Already I'm shaking with traumatic recollections of poor Truffle... anyway, I send out Orzo. Absol uses Quick Attack, which crits and does about a third of Orzo's health, and then Orzo himself crits with Revenge which handily OHKO's Serena's final pokemon. And that's game!

For being a bit arrogant throughout the early game, Serena is pretty genteel and gracious in her defeat and surrenders the right to wield the Mega Ring without a fuss. That's fine and all, but I'm… never gonna use it…

Korrina praises us for our victory, but asserts that she needs to test us before we're ready to take on Mega Evolution. She invites us to meet her at the gym. And after a healing session, I think we should do just that!

Shalour City

Let's head on over to the gym. I'll admit, the idea of having a Fighting-type gym being mainly focused on sports and athletics rather than martial arts is a neat one! A fun interpretation of the type theming. This gym requires you to beat all four trainers before you can face down the Gym Leader, so let's get to it! There's some pretty threatening pokemon here, like Sawk, Heracross, and Hariyama. Despite some close calls—one trainer's Throh almost kills Nutmeg!—we make it through deathless and earn the right to challenge the leader. So with Korrina ready to fight, let's take on her challenge!

BOSS: Gym Leader Korrina
The roller skater herself leads with a lv. 29 Mienfoo; I open with Escargot! On turn 1, the Attack O-Power I used applies, boosting Escargot's damage output. Mienfoo uses Fake Out, causing a flinch, but the Rocky Helmet damages it more in return. The next turn, Mienfoo uses Power-up Punch, dealing modest damage but boosting its own attack strength, but hurting itself on the Rocky Helmet again. Escargot's Bulldoze takes it down to about 1/3rd​ of its HP. The turn after, Escargot outspeeds thanks to Bulldoze's speed drop and lands another one for the KO.

Korrina's next pokemon is her lv. 28 Machoke, so I send out Hazelnut. On the first turn, Hazelnut sets up sand with her ability; Machoke uses Power-up Punch and she Yawns. The turn after, Machoke uses Leer and Hazelnut's Bulldoze takes Machoke to a little under half damage. Machoke falls asleep at the end of that turn. One more Bulldoze on the sleeping Machoke snags us the KO!

The last pokemon (and ace) for this battle is Korrina's lv. 32 Hawlucha. I send out Oregano! I'm fairly certain that Hawlucha's only 'Flying' move in this battle is Flying Press, so keeping my fingers crossed that Oregano can deliver.

On turn 1, Hawlucha uses Hone Claws to raise its attack and accuracy while Oregano uses Aerial ace. The move crits, taking Hawlucha to the mid yellow, and then both of us taking lingering damage from Hazelnut's Sandstorm. The turn after, Korrina uses a Hyper Potion to get Hawlucha to safety. Another Aerial Ace (this one non-crit) takes Hawlucha down by about 40% of its HP, and then the sand fades. Still another Aerial Ace takes Hawlucha to the red, and then it uses Flying Press. Oregano resists the move, which still does about 40% of his HP—and that's with the Eviolite on him! To say I'm intimidated would be an understatement.

Korrina uses another Hyper Potion and Oregano's Aerial Ace immediately drops it down to 60% again. Another Aerial Ace takes it to red, and Hawlucha uses another Flying Press—but it's not enough to take down Oregano or stave off one last attack from Oregano that seals the win for us! Huzzah!

With Korrina's Fighting-type squad down, we're up one Rumble Badge and the Power-up Punch TM. Normally that would be the end of our update… but there's still more to do here in Shalour! Satisfied that we're ready for the Mega Ring, Korrina invites us back to the Tower of Mastery. Um, but I still… can't use it…

(Oh right, there's one other thing to do! Now that the Intriguing Stone has been identified as valueless, we can trade it to a Hiker in town for a Sun Stone, which is basically free money for this run!)

Anyway, back to the tower.

Tower of Mastery

Korrina has already ascended the spire, and is waiting for us at the top. Most of our friends are gone, though Shauna remains to cheer us on. She's so nice!

Ascending the tower, we can stop in rooms for a history lesson. Apparently, long ago a trainer and their Lucario came to Kalos. There, they found two stones—leading to the first Mega Evolution. And Korrina is this person's descendent! Pretty neat lore.

An Ace Trainer in the high reaches gives us a Low Sweep TM, so that's nifty! A lady in the same room tells us that Sycamore trained in the tower once upon a time, but quit. So it was a setup…

On the tower's high balcony, Korrina gives us the Mega Ring! (I'm sorry, it's basically a paperweight to me.) Her Lucario wants to battle alongside us in the Mega Evolution tutorial!

I won't even bother making this a boss write-up since this battle is borderline impossible to lose as long as you pick an attacking move every turn. I will say that the music—a grandiose, heavy remix of the Gym Leader theme—is really good, and I wish it got more play! Anyway, our Lucario comes out on top, and with that, the Mega Ring is ours. And now neither one will ever be used again…

Korrina 'gives' us a Lucario that's illegal. Oh no! To the box you go, little jackal. However, one thing to note is that this is the only encounter in the Tower of Mastery. Just like the Snorlax bridge, the only encounter being illegal means that I get another token to use. With two queued up, I'll have to spend them wisely…

Anyway, that's it for today! I hope you all enjoyed reading, and I'll see you next time for another epic adventure. Until then, toodles!

Deaths: 1
Badges: 3

Current team: Nutmeg • Cayenne • Sirloin • Hazelnut • Orzo • Roquefort
650.png
667.png
4.png
449.png
66.png
696.png

On reserve: Escargot • Oregano

557.png
193.png

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
cnongrats on your badge!!!!! and on your illegal puppy

im so proud of everybody, but especially oregano!!!!!

now that you have the eviolite things should be less dicey

Users who are viewing this thread