• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Teen Commentary Dead Hack Theatre - A Pokemon Legend Version Nuzlocke

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
A Nuzlocke of a Long Forgotten Hack PART 2 UP (8/5)

ABAP

Itinerant Runner
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 8, 2020
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Psychic
Ah, ROM Hacking. A part of the emulation scene that I'd wager is as old as the scene itself. When I was a kid my first introduction to emulation was through hacking, with things like Pokémon Naranja version or Emerald 386. The kinds of hacks on the scene then were so different from what you can find now it must seem like the stone age. Still, with all the progress that's been made, how many hacks have been forgotten? How many were obscured in the face of bigger counterparts, or just never received much attention in the first place? These weirder, smaller, hacks have always fascinated me the most, just because of how out there some of them are vibes wise, and I think they grab the attention of most people too.

Thus, I present to you all the first (and hopefully not last) installment of Dead Hack Theatre: Screenshot runs where I'll be showing off the Obscure, Infamous, or just Forgotten Hacks of Pokemon, and Nuzlockeing them. I'm ABAP. I used to do screenshots back in the ancient era of Zetaboards on this site. For our inaugural installment we will be Nuzlocking none other than Miksy91's Hack, Pokemon Legend Version.

Pokemon-Legends-Arceus-update-1.0.2.jpg

No not that Legend Version, THIS Legend Version:

Pokemon-Legend-Version-1.png

A Hack of Crystal that, thanks to a certain Spin Off is actually getting pretty hard to find these days. Strap in, this might be a wild ride...

1. If a Pokémon Faints, it's dead. It must be Permaboxed.
2. You may only catch the first Pokémon you encounter in each named area.
2a. Dupes Clause - Pokémon which are a part of an evolutionary line you already have must be ignored if they are the first encounter. If all Pokemon on a Route are duplicates you may not catch any.
2b. Shiny Clause - Shiny Pokémon may always be captured and used.
3. All Pokémon must be nicknamed.
4. Items may be used in battle, but not to excess.
5. Battle Style is SET. No hard Level Caps. No Spoilers.

1. In Which Space and Time are Broken, and then Broken Again. (This post!)

Pokemon-Legend-Version-2.png

Okay so nothing weird right off the bat.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-3.png

I always go with one of the generic pre-made name options in these games. IMO one of the greatest losses modern Pokemon inflicted upon us. Crystal's are pretty tame: CHRIS, MAT, ALLEN, but sometimes you get wacky stuff like KAZ or TORU. And don't get me started on the options in Hacks like Snakewood...

Pokemon-Legend-Version-4.png

Uh, nice...hat CHRIS. We also have a kind of screwed up walk cycle, but that's kind of hard to express in screenshots only.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-5.png

The region that we're in appears to be the PIKACHU region.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-6.png

Nah, I kid, it's just Johto, but again, nothing here is out of the ordinary. New Bark Town start...

Pokemon-Legend-Version-7.png

No PC potion, but that might actually be the norm in Crystal, I just can't remember...

Pokemon-Legend-Version-8.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-9.png

Elm is our neighbor. Yeah guys, sorry! I guess this isn't as wild as I would have thou-

Pokemon-Legend-Version-11.png

Oh. I...see.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-12.png

Yes, it is in fact Celadon City. As this lovely sign has pointed out to us. Welcome to the wild world of Early 2010s Miksy Hacks.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-13.png

The thing is, starting in Celadon isn't the worst idea in the world. It's a big, central, city. I'm sure a lot of people start there in Crystal Clear. But despite the carry over of some things, like this guy complaining about Grimer in the Lake, you can probably already tell that this isn't EXACTLY Celadon City.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-14.png

For example I don't remember weird conspicuous dirt mounds in vanilla Celadon City.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-15.png

And I think there should probably be a department store around here rather than two houses and some trees.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-16.png

But I mean at least the interiors are the same, if scrambled. Like the house on the left is this diner in Celadon that's kind of pointless.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-17.png

😎😎Nice 😎😎

Pokemon-Legend-Version-18.png

So who knows? Maybe the house on the left is like, that Pokemon Hotel or whatever, or maybe

Pokemon-Legend-Version-19.png

OH.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-20.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-21.png

No need to get too excited. It's just Elm's house. But you see this is kind of the problem, this isn't actually Celadon. It's just some inocuous Celadon buildings thrown together with the houses from NEW BARK TOWN. So really it doesn't amount to being much different from New Bark Town.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-22.png

And so as you can probably guess the house next door is in fact...

Pokemon-Legend-Version-23.png

Elm's Lab! Yes he's packed it up all the way from Johto to muscle in on Oak's territory folks.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-24.png

Does it have to do with the ominous floating Pokeball. I'm pretty sure we can find a longer table at Ikea or something man.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-25.png

In case anyone was curious, no, none of the text is different. We're still having to go to Mr. Pokemon, same story and everything.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-26.png

Oh the floater is a Magnemite, that's cute.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-27.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-28.png

And here are our other starter picks. Pretty eclectic bunch. Anyway, I choose my starters via the only method worth considering: RNG.

Capture.png

1. So that means Sandshrew. It's no steel type sadly, but at least it's not Marill.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-29.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-30.png

Yeah, sure, whatever.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-31.png

In the Balkan Slavic and Belarusian folklore, the wise hedgehog (along with the tortoise) sometimes appears as the animal capable of finding the raskovnik, a magic plant that could be used to open locks and to find hidden treasures. I didn't find a name for these mythical Hedgehogs, but I figured this was a better well to draw from for a name rather than a certain...other Hedgehog IP.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-32.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-33.png

The next city over, are you sure about that one big guy?

Pokemon-Legend-Version-34.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-35.png

Elm, listen to me, you are delusional after the move, there is no way you expect me to walk all the way to Cherrygrove-Fucking-City.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-36.png

Unfortunately Elm does in fact expect me to walk all the way to Cherrygrove-fucking-City. But before we get started on that journey, let's take in some more of the sights, like the world's smallest game corner over here.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-37.png

This was supposed to be a screenshot of me not having any coins and being mad, but no joke, I found a random Max Potion on the first one I went to. What are the odds? Not the first time an Item will be in an unorthodox place either. Speaking of items...isn't there something we're forgetting in this town?

Pokemon-Legend-Version-38.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-39.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-40.png

Oh yeah! The department store! You know the thing everyone knows Celadon for having? Yeah, this isn't it, it's unfortunately just the place we can trade coins for prizes, which is useless to us because we have no Coin Case

Pokemon-Legend-Version-41.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-42.png

Our faux Celadon appears to be on the water, and just a little ways over we can unfortunately find a very regular looking Pokémon Center and Pokémart.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-43.png

Hey, Cherrygrove City! We made it! Does that mean I'm done now 😏

Pokemon-Legend-Version-44.png

We can get Pokeballs straight away, which is very nice.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-45.png

And surprisingly enough Route 16 is what's just past the Mart and Center. So three cheers to correct geography, even though it looks nothing like the actual Route 16. That must be Mr. Pokémon's house there.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-46.png

First encounter, nothing too exciting.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-47.png

Icarus in mythology flew too close to the sun with on wax wings created by his father Daedelus. He earned his place as a legend after that, albeit a tragic one. Will our Icarus meet the same fate?

Pokemon-Legend-Version-48.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-49.png

It turns out it's not Mr. Pokemon's house, unfortunately. However this guy is talking about Cycling Road and Fuchsia city, which probably means the Kanto geography is still somewhat the same. Not like I'll be able to get very far without a bike.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-50.png

So yeah, I expect to be turned around at the gate here for not having a

Pokemon-Legend-Version-51.png

whiguyblink.gif

Pokemon-Legend-Version-52.png

Okay, clearly I should maybe raise my Pokemon a bit before I get too in over my head.

And yes, upon leaving that building I randomly hopped on a Bike which I do not own.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-53.png

No I do not get to keep it.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-54.png

You gotta treat Hacks like this like Big Brother: Expect the Unexpected.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-55.png

Trust me, there's more than enough happening to go around.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-56.png

Hm? What? Excuse me? You're just standing here at the entrence?

Pokemon-Legend-Version-57.png

EXCUSE ME?

Pokemon-Legend-Version-58.png

Level 8
Shit. He still has another Pokémon too.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-59.png

Luckilly even at a higher level Ledyba is so weak it's practically set up fodder. With its supersonic missing I'll set up a few defense curls like this...

Pokemon-Legend-Version-60.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-61.png

Until it does so little damage with Tackle that anything we take just gets healed back with Leftovers, like so.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-62.png

One down.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-63.png

Level 10
Fuck. I hope it doesn't have Absorb.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-64.png

Okay, I think by now it would have used Absorb if it had it, unfortunately this is taking a really long time.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-65.png

A REALLY long time. REEEALLY long. Thankfully Crits saved us at the end.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-66.png

It's a common shrew jackass.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-67.png

Clearly this is completely different "Ilex Forest" too. Completely different (again).

Pokemon-Legend-Version-68.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-69.png

pog

Pokemon-Legend-Version-70.png

The legend goes that if you say her name in the mirror three times in the bathroom with the lights out, she shows up and kills you. Really silly stuff in retrospect.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-71.png

Okay yeah, I do not remember this much needless winding. But I DO recognize that asshole Farfetch'd when I see it.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-72.png

Missing from who? For what? What's the context. Either way, I got you cornered buster.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-73.png

Aaand he flew over the trees. Time to find him I guess.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-74.png

Behold! I read the text that says "SUPER POTION" and one appears! (No it did not become a normal sign afterwards.)

Pokemon-Legend-Version-75.png

Okay now there's DEFINITELY no escape.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-78.png

Fuck.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-77.png

Screenshots do not do justice for how labyrinthine this place is, and I don't have time to deal with it right now.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
The legend goes that if you say her name in the mirror three times in the bathroom with the lights out, she shows up and kills you. Really silly stuff in retrospect.
If that's the case, then everyone who's ever done it must be dead, so how would anyone know?

This hack is... something.

Cirr

I'm a bot! (maybe) #OnionBoy
Screenshotter
Godfather
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
  3. Cute
  4. ???
Pokédex Entry
Fails Captchas with regularity
I like the concepts of these runs!

hope you don't get haxed to death

OP
ABAP

ABAP

Itinerant Runner
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 8, 2020
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Psychic
PREVIOUSLY ON DEAD HACK THEATRE
Our hero CHRIS began his journey, with his silly hat and Pikachu map in CELADON CITY. Only it wasn't really Celadon City. Receiving a Sandshrew from Prof. Elm, he proceeded on to not-Route 16 and then not to Cycling Road, but on to Ilex Forest. Where he began chasing after a Farfetch'd for some reason. And now, the Adventure Continues...

If that's the case, then everyone who's ever done it must be dead, so how would anyone know?

This hack is... something.
Alright, fair enough, fair enough. When I was a kid I never actually did Bloody Mary because I was actually way too scared, so I'm definitely doing some projecting here.

I like the concepts of these runs!

hope you don't get haxed to death
Thank you! Not getting Haxed is kind of a crapshoot with these sorts of things because you either hit a crazy unexpected level spike, or you just steamroll things because you unknowingly went somewhere you weren't supposed to yet.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-0.png

God this place sucks. Going to have to go back and heal again. Should probably stop fighting wild Pokémon at this point too.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-3.png

No, your eyes are not deceiving you, nor is this a screenshot of the same spot three times. These are three different locations which are in this hellhole forest back to back.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-4.png

I mean I know at this point it's just going to fly away to some spot on the OTHER SIDE of the forest but, whatever.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-5.png

At least we got the Headbutt TM out of it. Should probably teach this to Raskovnik but I kind of want to save it for something else that might need a good Normal move.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-6.png

Well we're not going this way either. There was another part of the forest that also needed Cut to continue last chapter, not sure if I pointed it out. What it means is that we seem to be hemmed in. Hopefully that fucking Farfetch'd is stuck here with us.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-7.png

FOUND YOU.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-8.png

You're not Kwaaing your way out of this!

Pokemon-Legend-Version-9.png

I am literally running from one side of the forest to the other trying to catch this thing.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-10.png

GET OUT OF THE TREE.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-11.png

Finally. Buddy, I don't know who you are, but this better be good.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-12.png

Sweet! Now we can definitely conti-

Pokemon-Legend-Version-13.png

200w.gif

Pokemon-Legend-Version-14.png

Well until we find our way across the continent (doesn't seem too impossible at this rate), we're at an impasse. There has to be another way forward.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-24.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-25.png

Oh yeah, forgot to mention last time, there IS a gym in town, we just can't get in yet. And guess what! The old perv made it into this hack too!

Pokemon-Legend-Version-15.png

Anyway, a little to the right of our house is Route 7, so here's our other way forward.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-16.png

Sure, this can be a Birdlocke

Pokemon-Legend-Version-17.png

The Ancient Egyptian God of Wisdom, I guess in retrospect he's not a legend so much as he is a straight deity, but I liked the name. Hopefully he can illuminate some sort of knowledge on this madcap hack.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-18.png

Saffron City appears to have been completely flooded in some horrible accident no doubt caused by Silph Co. Sadly for us, this means yet another dead end.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-19.png

The good news is that this is in fact Mr. Pokémon's house.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-20.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-21.png

Elm, couldn't you have just walked over here? There's not even any tall grass between your lab and his house! Am I at least getting paid for this?

Pokemon-Legend-Version-26.png

It's just a Sandshrew man.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-27.png

Whatever, at least we got a Pokedex.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-23.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-28.png

Oh here we go again, I have to get back there. He just can't take the ten steps required to come here.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-29.png

What Pokémon, there are still two Pokeballs on the table. Well, one on the table, but you get my point. Was Elm holding out on us??

Pokemon-Legend-Version-30.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-31.png

Uh huh...

Pokemon-Legend-Version-32.png

What? No I didn't battle anyone like...wait a second. Does he mean the Bug Catcher?

Pokemon-Legend-Version-33.png

I figure you have to mean Bug Catcher Wayne. Because that was the only person I ever battled.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-34.png

No problem, he likes standing at the entrance to Ilex Forest.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-35.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-36.png

Nothing super exiting here. Elm forgets where he is again, that there's a Gym right here in town.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-37.png

And given we've done everything else, I have a feeling that Gym is finally open.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-39.png

But first, some minor preparations, namely getting Thoth to a good level.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-40.png

Alright, with two birds this is going to be a cakewalk, I can't wait to see the look on Erika's face when

Pokemon-Legend-Version-41.png

059196d5f1bbfba3a87d0bd25833e32178972394.gifv

Pokemon-Legend-Version-42.png

I mean, it is the Azaela Town Gym, kind of, I mean the Layout is completely different. But why not just use the ACTUAL Celadon Gym?

Pokemon-Legend-Version-43.png

Oh yeah...this is a silly way of doing this but, sure.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-44.png

Anyway, it's not like I have anything to worry about. Bug just as weak to Flying as Grass is and

Pokemon-Legend-Version-45.png

Oh, I see.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-46.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-47.png

Yes, I definitely expect this to be the Psychic type gym. Not only that but these things are rocking levels 3 and 4. So we are MASSIVELY overprepared.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-48.png

Right, famous Bug Pokemon Abra and Natu. This is a good time to mention I really should have checked with the Gym tips guy to see if any dialogue had changed. I doubt it, but it would have been funny.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-49.png

Bug Pokemon like ABRA? I mean 14 IS early, but I don't think that's what you mean.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-50.png

Yep, I knew it.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-51.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-52.png

This goes pretty much how you would expect. All of them still Bug...Catchers. All of them with Abras and Natus levels 3-5. I guess the guy at the front of Ilex was supposed to be some kind of gatekeeper to prevent progress? But I just blew right past him.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-53.png

That one's not even a Bug type OR a Psychic type.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-54.png

Also just as easy.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-55.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-56.png

Good thing you're not using Bug Pokémon 😏 😏

Pokemon-Legend-Version-58.png

Alright here we go.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-59.png

Yeah, that's not surprising. Not really much of a threat either.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-60.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-61.png

Especially not after this. One down.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-62.png

Oh shit. Unexpected actually. We'll send in Icarus.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-63.png

Oh shit.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-64.png

NEVERMIND WE'RE IN IT. What is this Gen 1's crit rate??

Pokemon-Legend-Version-65.png

Nice ace.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-66.png

Too bad I'm overlevelled.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-67.png

Of course, we take the 1/10 chance to get confused.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-68.png

Powering through this is probably stupid and reckless, especially when it outspeeds me.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-69.png

Luckily for me being stupid and reckless always pays off.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-70.png

Alright, enough of that before somebody dies.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-71.png

No crit??

Pokemon-Legend-Version-72.png

No sweat.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-74.png

I mean I do know the difference between a Bug Type and a Psychic type.

Pokemon-Legend-Version-75.png
Pokemon-Legend-Version-00.png

Perfect. Now let's get the hell out of here.

TEAM SNAPSHOT
part-2.png

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
This hack is... something. I'm not quite sure what KIND of something, but definitely something.

Cirr

I'm a bot! (maybe) #OnionBoy
Screenshotter
Godfather
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost