• NOTICE: Potential Site Downtime on December 7, 2020.

This is a preliminary notice that you may experience some downtime on December 7, 2020, due to some backend adjustments.

If you attempt to access the Nuzlocke Forums on or around this date, and receive any sort of failure to connect notice, please alert the Nuzlocke Forums Tech Team on Discord (@Tech Team role).

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

Screenshot Alola Mature Dazzling Supernova – An Ultra Sun Blind Nuzlocke - Part 9 is up! (20/11/2020)

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@moonfly - Thank you so much! I remembered Ilima as quite a formidable foe from my Sun blind run, and he indeed gave me a worthy battle, but it is great we came out scratchless. Cool, can’t wait to see who I’ll get.

@Spectacles - mewstein is a known banner master and it is so great to have her art featured in every project I maגe on the forum so far, she really outdid herself on this one. Hmm good point about Lullaby, I had the same problem with my Alolan Grimer in my last run from what I remember. Well I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens first - I'll box him realizing he is not catching up, I’ll lose him in battle, or he’ll evolve and stay with us for better or worse. I never got use a Slowking, though I’m not sure if you are even given the King Rock early enough in this game or not, and if I want to bother with it. Thanks, I have high hopes for Baghnakh, I admit I never gave Alolan Meowth much attention before this run, but that’s the beauty of Nuzlockes I guess.

@Waweezer - lol! Well I can somewhat relate to that. I especially remember how angry I was when I just got a surprise battle with him on my Sun run.

@Time Master Eon - I mean, I think I can generally understand where they were going with this, but if that’s the case why did a young lady tell me that? Well either way, one of the appeals of pokemon games is the oddness factor, at least for me, so I’ll roll with that.

@Arie Kazami - Oh wow, I didn’t know that about his Smeargle, or perhaps I knew and forgot? Either way it makes a lot of sense, cool game design choice. The banner is indeed awesome, many thanks to my buddy mewstein. It seems Snare gets lots of love from you guys! So you know what? I’ll listen to the popular opinion and keep her :).

@mewstein - Yeah I also had memories of her supposedly being tough, but cool to see my team pulled through. Thanks! And thanks again for the banner, I highly recommend others enjoy your art services as well (even though I don’t want to share you with the others :) ).

@Amazon313 - Oh wow! That’s good to know, 50% is crazy high. Well, 60 BP moves here I come! I wonder what is the other ability of Meowth if it even has any, anyway I feel luck has been kind with Baghnakh.

@Alba Corbina - Good point, and it seems you guys really love Snare so I’ll do my best to keep him on the team.

@khorale - Thank you! Yep, I do like the idea of giving it so many elemental moves early on, happy we all made it.

@Uberle - That's honestly great to know, makes me happy I decided to blind this game. Thanks! I have a feeling I’ll need it.

Part 3 - The Snake and the Mongoose

With a team of six on our side we are ready to head on into the depth of Route 2. Last time we finished by catching and adding Snare the Ekans into our team, and thanks to all your support for this little serpent I decided I’ll keep him in and pamper the little guy.

Still I wonder, what other catches Ruby could have gotten?

Abra
and Drowzee, hmm too bad, I love Psychic types, especially Gen I ones (although Lullaby fills in this niche pretty nicely, and also Mime Jr. come to think of it). Makuhita, arg why are you taunting me? Oh well, for diversity’s sake I’m happy I didn’t get the ace of my last run. Furfrou - quite badass early on, Smeargle –unique but not very useful. And later on in this route I saw some Spearows (meh) and Cutieflies (I do have Bident already, still an interesting pokemon I never got use and Fairy type are often really useful). This makes me pretty sure I was correct and indeed different patches of grass have different pokemon in them, or at least different odds of getting them. I should remember that (though honestly, not a lot I can do with this information in a blind Nuzlocke). I’m pleasantly surprised with the variety of pokemon in this game (I talked badly about the Galar games a few times already in this run, and will probably continue doing so compared to many features of this game as it is hard not to compare the two latest games, still I’ll just give credit where credit due – the Galar games have one of the best variety of pokemon in any game I played, both thanks to the Wild Area, but even in the regular routes).

And speaking of which, already a new route! Oh, I remember this one, Ghost types ahead right?

Yep! A little Drifloom. Not my favorite Ghost type out there, I find its silly/cute/terrifying combination a bit too much for my personal taste, but still a pokemon I never got to use. I do have a Flying type, which will later on become a Ghost type, so some redundancy here, but still overall I’m pleased with this little guy.

Now what did I just say?...

Trying to catch this evasive balloon was quite a hellish task. With most of my moves either being super effective or not effective at all against it, and it spamming minimize none stop, it took quite a few attempts until we finally made it.

As usual I have no idea if this is considered a good or bad nature for this guy, so I’ll hope for the best. Now with a full party, who should I box?

Sorry Charm the Mime Jr., perhaps we’ll meet again later on. Welcome to the team Astray!

My other option for this route - Gastly, which is a very solid mon, and Zubat, which as you can assume, I used to death in about every possible Nuzlocke. I don’t feel like I missed out on anything special here.

Freebies (interesting choice of TM for a graveyard).

I then enter quite a troubling house. At first the father there finally breaks the bizarre cultural phenomena / taboo of the pokemon world of sending underaged children into the wilderness to battle wild pokemon in the dreams of achieving glory, at any cost. Or well, at least the habit of them doing so without telling their parents first...

But then we get a very dark twist as we learn of a child who used to be a local champion of sort, yet at some point decided to leave his family behind, and perhaps also his pokemon training career?

The last one creeps me out the most. Is it the father releasing his anger and frustration in the form of golf? Or is it an act of vandalism by the child? Not really sure what they were implying here.

Either way that’s all the information we are given at this point, though I do suspect we’ll learn more about this person in the future? If not, well, that would be a really odd (yet interesting) plot choice. Every glorious career has an end it seems, it’s the side of pokemon training and sports in general people usually don’t talk a whole lot about.

And we reach another new location, lots of small little pockets like this in the game, each with their own story, vibe, and natural or manmade scenery. I simply love it. Alola is such a gorgeous region. Modern graphics Galar with all its gimmicks still have much to learn in my opinion.

You had me at “Pokemon”.

We battle a Surfer Dude who tries to throw presents at Astray, but sadly it won’t accept them, letting it die slowly trying.

Nice! I’m pretty sure that’s an Ultra SuMo exclusive feature, I remember riding on Sharpeedo and Lapras last time. Wonder why they decide to replace it.

Hmm, what a tease, guess we’ll get access to this feature, as well as to the pokemon that are present in this location, later on.

However, as a consolation prize I find a little cave hidden at the edge of the beach, there I see nothing, and as I step out of it, I am attacked by a wild Zubat!

As I mentioned before I used Zubats before countless times, still it is such a solid pokemon I’m both really happy to have it as a backup in case things will go wrong, and happy I won’t be getting it again thanks to the dupes clause (though I remind you I’m using the “I get 3 chances per route and that’s it” version). It also has a pretty good nature which makes it even more tempting.

I kill a couple more of those flying critters just for fun, and as I head out of the cave, I see this guy!

Arg, that could have been a far better catch. Oh well, it seems to be rather rare so I can’t really complain (plus, Golduck being a mono Water type instead of Psychic STAB is annoying. I used to not care about it in previous generations, and I get why they did it due to Psychic being OP in Gen I, but it is getting a bit ridiculous now days. I think if I were Game Freak, I’d finally fix that in Gen 9. Though from my experience, I assume that at best they'll fix it with a regional form).

As we leave this place, once more Team Skull arrives and start their shenanigans.

I do enjoy the little joke of them being banned from Mantee Surfing due to trying their dance moves on its back, and their “Grunt A and Grunt B” gig amuses me every time. Still, fighting them after every corner is starting to get tedious, a bit like Team Rocket in the anime. Just give me a few moments for myself! I promise I’ll appreciate you far more when you’ll return next time, and it’s not like you are posing any challenge to my team anyway.

We crush them as always, and carry in.

As I fight another one of the pokemon that appear in those dust clouds I see it dropped something on the floor. Pretty useful stuff! Gave it to Snare my new beloved team member (who really started to grow on me in my limited time with him. Intimidate and Glare as an opening is a fine setup combo).

I do love those semi randomized drops, gives the sense of a classical hack and slash RPG with interesting randomized loot and not just a preplanned experience. Which makes me think, adding rare items that your pokemon could hold, even some sort of equipment that has its own slot like an “armor” or “clothing” could be an amazing addition to pokemon games that would also add another layer of strategy. Just a thought.

I enter another new location, this time the Berry Fields. I am a fan of berries, even though I don’t have a lot of experience trying to grow different kinds. I look under the tree hoping to find that Gen 7 Fighting Crab mon, um… how is it called again? Crabrawler I believe? A fighting type could be useful against the next trial, assuming it is going to be a Gumshoos like last time. But anyway, I have no luck. Oh well, I think I read somewhere they evolve really late into their last stage and that it is rather useless, still, makes me even more curious to try it for myself.

That’s, umm, troubling? And adorable, definitely adorable. Still someone has to clean up after all these birds, and I have a feeling they leave “wrapping paper” everywhere around the house.

Another useful find. I give it to Bident my Grubbin as it now knows Bug Bite and can actually use it, and pass on its Silk Scarf to Baghnakh. Just trying to imagine Bident wearing this scarf makes me laugh, Baghnakh will find much better use for it.

Oooh, these guys again. Do speak more of this Blinding One!

Ok... So perhaps, this is related to the evil team after all? Though I highly doubt it, these guys are far too relatable for that. Are they really from another dimension? Is this thing canon? (don’t answer that). I honestly wonder how I managed to avoid spoilers about these sorts of things for so long.

After making our way through Route 2 we arrive at a Pokecenter (who is located in a beautiful location at the edge of the cliff observing the ocean, which makes me wonder who owns the land the Pokecenters are built on, state property hopefully? Though the concept of state doesn’t seem to exist in the pokemon world. Which raises even more interesting questions! But I’m totally getting off topic here).

There we meet Hau who prepares us for our very first trial.

We are also shown yet another cool new feature that is Ultra SuMo exclusive, Roto Loto. The only problem is I’m not yet sure how it really works. It seems that every once in a while when I talk to our little Rotom friend I’m given the ability to use it as a slot machine, and the prizes are bonuses that can aid me in battle. But how do I use them, for how long they last, and is it really in the spirit of Nuzlocking to use them? I don’t have my answers yet. I think I’ll be happy to get some feedback from you guys about it before I’ll decide whether to use it or not, so what can you tell me about it? And what do you think?

And our first in-game trade, and it is actually a good one! I never got to use Hawlucha, and I believe that if Spearow were my route 2 encounter I’d probably go for this one. We’ll keep it in mind for now.

And after a short break for basic grinding, just to keep the party more or less on the same levels, I head to meet Ilima outside the cave and begin my very first trial!

*gulp, noted

Yeah, you mentioned that a few times before. We met at least three times by now, and I’ve been to your house. Cut the formality, and let the battles begin!

The trial itself is quite simple, mainly battling Yungooses (Yungeese?) and making my way through the cave. Even though I do love the concept of the trials and think Gen 7 deserves a lot of credit for breaking the dusty old formula of “8 gyms, elite 4, 1 champion”, I believe they could have made some of the trials a bit more interesting. Still the concept is brilliant, a step in the right direction (which sadly Galar took a step back in, and don’t get me wrong, gyms are great, still trying new things is essential for a game like pokemon), and as so many other things in this game this is a brave decision of creating a pokemon game that is actually different.

Nice! Don’t mind if I do. Now that would be useful against this trial.

Hmm, or maybe not.

And Team Skull are back once more, I mean Ilima is standing right there in the entrance of the cave, why did he even let them enter? Perhaps this is part of the trial? Or the Island Challenge in general? That would explain a lot of things.

Either way I defeat them, once more, get that evasive last Gumshoos.

And at last, in a classic Indiana Jones scene I take the crystal out of the pedestal, only instead of a huge boulder, a giant Gumshoos runs straight at me. Time to battle!

Level 15 Snare the Ekans vs level 12 Totem Gumshoos (with buffed Defense I believe).

Lvl 12, interesting, I don’t feel like I overgrinded. Well, after all this is an evolved form and with the Totem Aura boost. Still, hopefully we can make it, right?

Snare’s Intimidate kicks in.

Snare uses Glare. Totem Gumshoos Paralyzed.

Totem Gumshoos used Scary Face, cutting down Snare’s speed.

Totem Gumshoos calls for an Ally pokemon. Yungoos appears.

Hmm that sneaky Gumshoos, by calling his ally after the first turn it managed to avoid an Intimidate. Oh well, low speed isn’t that bad, let’s see how much more we can push this. I usually aim at the ally pokemon first in order to kill them early on as they are easier to finish.

Yungoos used Leer, Snare’s Defense lowers. Damn…

Snare used Bite on Yungoos, ~1/3 life.

Totem Gumshoos used Scary Face. Snare’s Speed goes even lower.

Yungoos used Tackle – 28/38 HP.

*gulp, ok we are still healthy enough, and for some reason Gumshoos refuses to attack Snare straight on so I’m not sure how much damage it can do. Let’s risk another turn and try and finish this Yungoos.

Snare used Bite – Yungoos is dead!

Totem Gumshoos is Paralyzed, lost turn. Yes!

Ally down. I’m Leered once and Scary Face twice, and a bit wounded. I can risk staying in for just a bit longer, but I think a switch would be in my best interest now. Question is, who to switch to? Astray seems like a great option being immune to Normal type moves, however it seems rather likely that this guy knows a Dark type move as well. Let’s go with Calamus!

Snare return. Go Calamus! level 15 Rowlet.

Totem Gumshoos is Paralyzed and lost a turn. Nice! Glare rules. Thanks Alba :).

Calamus used Razor Leaf. ~4/5 Health. Hmm, not enough.

Totem Gumshoos used Scary Face. I can live with that.

Calamus used Razor Leaf ~1/2 Health.

Totem Gumshoos used Scary Face. Dude, I get it, you are scary. How about you start dealing some damage?

Totem Gumshoos used Super Fang – 25/50 HP. Calamus ate the Oran Berry it is holding, 35/50 HP.

Calamus used Razor Leaf. Landed a critical hit! And Totem Gumshoos is down.

Calamus and Snare both level up to level 16!

Hooray!

Rowlet learns Ominous Wind, great move for such an early stage!

And we are given our very first Z Crystal.

In retrospect I realize how lucky I was in this battle. That thing just kept using Scary Face instead of attacking me, and had an ability I didn’t know called Stakeout which could have been extremely painful (you’ll soon understand how I know this). It got twice Paralyze lost turns in the most crucial moments, and I landed a crit at the very end. The spirits are on our side folks! Just pray they’ll stay there for the rest of this run.

As I’m about to leave the cave I again meet those space guys, and this time even learn their names, and get to actually speak with them.

Ultra Recon Squad you say? Well too bad I don’t have the option to actually ask them what that means. Guess we’ll find out later.

And at last, just before I leave the cave, I’m finally allowed to get a catch here. And before I even realize it a wild Yungoos attacks me from one of the dens.

Meet Nibble! The local rodent. I never got to use one, though I’m not very eager to do so as I have enough other options. What’s this ability?

Oh.

Oh! And that was the moment I realized how lucky I was against that Totem Gumshoos. That’s a really useful ability, though mainly in competitive I assume, the AI don’t switch their pokemon out a whole lot. Wonder if other pokemon have it as well, I never seen it before.

To the box with you!

And let’s end with our favorite game: What other catches Ruby could have gotten?

Well those Yungoos seem to be sort of a static encounter which I could have avoided by not walking near the dens, again the downside of playing blind is that you are not aware of these things. Still I’m happy I won’t waste a better route encounter on those little guys, who I assume like many other early rodents we reappear more than once. Zubat, well that’s a dupes, again good thing I got it before. Alolan Diglett, well forgive me you Diglett lovers out there (mewstein), I never really liked this line, especially Dugtrio (even Magneton looks more original and makes more sense), so I’m ok with not getting this one. Even though Ground Steel is a great typing. And Noibat, damn! That could have been amazing. I think this is the first time I’m really bummed about not getting a specific pokemon inthis run. Oh well, that’s Nuzlockes.

And this seems like the perfect place to end this update. Again, luck has been on our side so far and everything is going pretty smoothly. I can only hope it will stay this way for long, though I suspect that wouldn’t be the case. I really like my team. Calamus is a solid starter so far. Snare has been a great surprise (thanks to you guys). Banghnakh is a personal favorite of mine. Bident has a lot of potential. Lullaby is a useful mon, at least for now. And Astray is an interesting new addition, though I suspect that if I’ll have to box anyone, he is probably next in line.

See you guys next time! When we will... well, I have no clue what’s coming next!

Calamus the Rowlet lvl 5-16 Male, Snare the Ekans lvl 10-16 Male, Bident the Grubbin lvl 4-14 Male, Lullaby the Slowpoke lvl 6-14 Male, Baghnakh the Alolan Meowth lvl 8-14 Female, Astray the Drifloom lvl 6-14 Male.

None so far, don’t count on it staying that way for long.

Charm the Mime JR. lvl 7. Ope’ape’a the Zubat lvl 6. Nibble the Yungoos lvl 10.

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
The last one creeps me out the most. Is it the father releasing his anger and frustration in the form of golf? Or is it an act of vandalism by the child? Not really sure what they were implying here.
Hmm, now you've got me wondering whether spanking is outlawed in Alola...

Great update and I'm glad Snare's serving you well - I find poison-types to be pretty useless in Kanto so it's good to see them having more of a presence in other regions. And a Drifloon! Awesome, a team with multiple ghost-types sounds like it could be fun.

For some reason I was sure the first totem was going to be a giant Raticate, maybe I remembered that from the original games, but it certainly seems like the A.I. was having a bit of meltdown during that battle - good job the Stakeout ability didn't turn into a Snakeout for Snare!

Alba Corbina

Johto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
For some reason I was sure the first totem was going to be a giant Raticate, maybe I remembered that from the original games
That’s what the Totem is in Moon/ultra Moon.

I always assumed the guy was hitting his child with the golf club. Which would be pretty dark for Pokemon, but on the other hand this is the same series that had the ghost Marowak story line in Gen I.

Glad to see Snare being a big help in the Totem battle!

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
Fun fact, in Ultra Moon you meet a different pair of Ultra Recon Squad members, in UM you instead meet Soliera and Phyco.

I don't know if they appear in US at all because I never bothered to beat UM so I never got a point in the game where you might meet the other game's pair. I mean I know the Squad's deal because I don't care a whole about being spoiled on Pokemon games, but that is one thing I don't know.

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
I see you are doing a new nuzlocke RubyClaw, and its a run of Ultra sun...
Welp, you are going to be HAUNTED by this run
Ultra Sun has a boss that is just BRUTAL that I beat without a death on my run due to a strategy I ran
All I can say is GOOD LUCK and be prepared to wipe, multiple times to this boss

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
First trial is done without problems,Good job man! your party sure is incredibly strong as for now. Oh right, there a few difference on the Meadow that you will see soon and for Hala...I'll recommend you to switch Bagnakh by any next catch that you will find. Astray and Calamus could be a good choice, but watch out for Crabrawler since it carried a dark-type move in case you lead with Astray and yeahh...Z-Move and crits too, so don't let your guard down.

Anyways, good luck!

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
Totem battles are the main reason I dislike the idea of nuzlocking Alola. They force the battle into a 2 on 1 in the opponent's favor, which makes things far more deadly than a typical battle can be. Still, I'm glad that you had such good luck with your battle though I would note that Totem Gumshoos has Adaptability so the Stakeout damage wouldn't apply to him. The summoned Yungoos do have Stakeout though.

Anyways, I'm glad that you're enjoying your blindish playthrough of Ultra Sun. Or should we call it a Legally Blind Playthrough? Either way, good luck with everything and looking forward to your next update!

localhoney

grook
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
I've never gotten to play USUM, so I am using this playthrough as my vicarious gameplay until I can get around to buying the game. Ekans is def a rare 'mon to see in a nuzlocke, so I'd love to see you take Snare as far as you can, if only for the novelty of it all.

Drifloon catch! That balloon is one of my favorite Sinnoh 'mons, and I'd love to see you use it, but hopefully you don't have to because that would mean Calamus would no longer be with us. Those trials look rough, and that Stakeout ability could've made things dicey for sure.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
@mewstein - Well I don’t know about spanking laws, but using golf clubs for spanking however... now that’s not something you associate with the pokemon franchise very often. Thanks! Snare is already a wild-card pokemon for me, as I never realized just how useful Ekans can be (I used their kind before, but never in a modern game with intimidate kicking in, and in a region where it can be that useful). Yep, the A.I. just really wanted to scare me at all cost, and ironically by doing so achieved the exact opposite result.

@Alba Corbina - Yeah, I think I actually knew that? Or perhaps just about Moon. That’s why I wanted to play Ultra Moon for max difference from my previous run, but sadly I don’t own a copy of that. lol, well, I’ll be lying if I said this thought hadn’t crossed my mind as well. Yep, keeping him in was a great advice!

@Time Master Eon - Oh that’s actually pretty cool, I love version differences like that.

@redninjapuffle - First of all, thanks a lot! Second of all... yeah, I heard the rumors, and I have a terrible feeling you are going to be right. That boss that you speak of, again I think I very vaguely know about it (though no spoilers!) and I’m still thinking if I should be building some backup cheesy strategies (though without knowing much about it, it could be hard), or just grind like hell. But hi, let’s see if I’ll even make it that far anyway!

@Arie Kazami - Thanks dude, much appreciated. Ah, I got too connected to Baghnakh already that’s the problem, but I will remember that advice, and well, you’ll see!

@SimplyUnknown - Indeed Totem battles can feel very unfair, but Alola does give you a proper challenge which I very much appreciate (unlike Galar excluding Leon e.g). Oh, Adaptability is a very solid ability, still makes it far more predictable, I guess. Lucky for me it barely even attacked. Thanks again! Yeah, it is indeed sort of a semi-blind run, though so far I’m pleasantly surprised by how many things I didn’t know of this game and how different it is from Sun.

@localhoney - Oh it is my honor in that case, I’ll do my best to make it for the sake of both of us! I really agree about Snare and he is starting to become our team’s mascot. Yep, Drifloom could be really interesting to use, though it will remain sort of a backup for Calamus as you said.

Part 4 - Putting Some Muscles Into It

Seriously, haven’t we discussed this yet Ilima, that must be the 5th time you introduce yourself to me, and with the exact same sentence to make it even more annoying. We get it, you are a captain. You don’t see me signing every unrelated document with “doctor” on it (well, usually, it depends on how low my self esteem is at the time and if I need that boost).

But we are getting off topic, welcome to the “Ruby tours the peaceful and pastural Alolan side-country show”, with your host Ruby! Or as many know it, “Ultra Sun, where nothing bad can ever happen”, right? Last time Snare our brave snake defeated that evil mongoose set there by this Ilima. And by doing so I believe we finished all the trials of this island (well, there was only one). So, what comes next? The Grand Trial, right?

Yep, though knowing this game I have a feeling there will be a few things before that as the developers probably want me to level up my team a bit more, so I could defeat stronger opponents, so I will get that sweet sense of empowerment most video games are fueled by.

Oh and also:

Z-Moves, very cool. One of those features I overall like, yet am happy stayed in Alola. I’m often disappointed by Game Freak’s tendency to make a gimmicky shiny new feature and then abandon it later, though honestly if done right it actually add uniqueness and character to a specific game and region, and differentiate it from the others. Dynamaxing is another good example of that, assuming they hopefully keep it to Galar only. I do hate it when they do it to features that I feel should become staples of the franchise such as pokemon following and Mega Evolutions.

And so, I gave my Normalium Z to Baghnakh and carry on.

Onto Route 3!

Oh I remember this route. If I remember correctly these shadows could be either Spearows or another bird pokemon, not sure which it was. This could be really useful as I could trade it for that Hawlucha I was offered before. But there is also wild grass nearby. What should I do?

Well, I think the fair thing to do here in the spirit of blindness and Nuzlocking is randomize (and if you learn one thing from my lorelocke is that I do love me some good randomizing, let the gods of fate intervene in our motal affairs). Let’s flip a coin, Tail is for the birds (as they have tails), and Head is for the grass (as... they have heads?).

And heads it is. Very well, let’s see what is waiting for us in the wild grass.

Oooh, nice! And somewhat ironic. Well, I always preferred wild pokemon to traded ones. And she is a female which I believe is uncommon for her kind? (though I might be confusing that with the Machop line, yeah, probably).

She was Limber which surprised me and made catching her much harder as Snare’s Glare wasn’t affective. Though with the help of a good yawn by Lullaby we eventually got her.

Meet Gabriela, and I have no doubt she should join my team as her typing fits me very well, I never got to use her kind, she has very nice nature, and I just really like her design for some reason. Now who should I box?

I’m sorry Astray, your kind intrigues me and I’d love using it, just not on this run. Calamus here will take care of everything that is related to the beyond if you don’t mind, and Gabriela covers your Flying type nicely herself.

And now it is time for the ageless question, What other catches Ruby could have gotten?

Spearow,
amusing it seems that are also some in the grass. Mankey, a very nice pokemon I personally like, though Hawlucha is a far better option in my opinion. Cutiefly once more, oh well it wasn’t meant to be little guy. And there were Rufflets in the shadow spots as well, though if I remember they evolve extremely late like most Unovan mons, so yeah I definitely got the best possible option here. Nice.

And no wonder Ilima barred this route, so many good options for a Fighting type would have wrecked his entire challenge!

I gave Gabriela Brick Break, and we press forward.

Nice, that was dropped by one of the bird encounters. Again, I do like the idea of semi-randomized loot from pokemon as I mentioned before. Gave it to Gabriela as it will suit her mask well.

Will remember that for later.

And we reach the end of the road. Oh right, and that’s the part where Lillie gets lost. I do get the game wanting to make us realize Lillie is going through a transition and grows as a person, which I think is done fabulously in Sun, though in retrospect experiencing it now, it does feel like everybody is humiliating her too much for “not being a trainer”.

We find her pretty quickly, looking for poor Nebby who got lost, again. And once more, we come to the rescue. At least we get a chance for a new encounter here.

This thing then suddenly activated out of the blue. Again, not really sure how it works.

Anyway, our encounter is...

Nice! Another Alolan pokemon I’m really curious about.

Though that thing turned out to be a beast. I put it to sleep several times, damaged it harshly, throw away countless pokeballs at it, and nothing. Born to be wild.

Finally, after 9 pokeballs, in red health and asleep I managed to catch that freedom loving bird.

I’m pretty sure they are a reference to the Darwinian Finches (seems too obvious not be, with their island polymorphism which is based on their diet), so I named this fellow Darwin. I believe this is a negative nature considering the fact is doesn’t evolve and still has higher Special Attack after the nature decrease. I also don’t really need a Flying or an Electric type currently with Gabriela and Bident. So sadly, off to the box with you Darwin.

What other pokemon Ruby could have gotten!? (I’m sure you never asked, but I enjoy talking about these too much, so bear with me and this little gimmick of my runs will you?)

Caterpie and Metapod, totally fine with not getting those. Poor thing need a Mega Evolution and fast. Flabebe, damn that could have been useful. Cutiefly, once more, wasn’t meant to be. And Cottonee, oh! I had one in my Sun run and loved it so much (until it was eaten by a giant Fish if I remember correctly). A lovely pokemon, would have loved getting. So to sum it up, I got the almost worse possible option for my current team, oh well.

We continue forward in the valley, where we spend an embarrassingly long time as for some reason, I couldn’t find the cursed cave anywhere (who knew it was just a tiny hole in the wall, and not even on the main road where the game takes you). On the way my mons get some exp, Snare learns Screech making him an even deadlier living trap, and we Breakneck Blitz crush an inspiring actress, along with her dreams. Though if I know anything about actors, I’m sure she won’t let that stop her and we’ll be seeing her again.

(You have no idea how hard it is to take pictures of the name of the area when it is just popping out with a phone that barely manages to focus on one hand, and the 3DS in the other one).

Until finally, we make it.

And before we even manage to get a proper catch, the space dudes arrive once more.

Dude, she didn’t say anything, why are you attacking her like that? We get it, you are higher ranked, relax.

Who is that Blinding One, I must know!

Oh wait, and now we battle?

So it seems. What space creature have you brought to us? Clefairy? Elgyem perhaps?

Ok... A dog it is. Luckily, we have Gabriela who brick breaks it in two shots, and wins us the match (and as a reward levels up and learns Aerial Ace).

Looking for excuses for losing?

I can’t decide if this is a good or a bad thing. A bit like teaching a teenager how to drive.

Ok I have no idea what is he talking about, but I have no doubt this will happen at some point in the game.

Don’t mention it, but can I just please return to the cave, there are still free items and pokemon there and I...

Hi Hau, nice seeing you. But can you just wait a minute I...

Hmm, fine! It is not like you are asking me or anything. You better not pose a serious threat at this point yet. I do remember you having a pretty deadly team later on in my Sun run.

I don’t like this match.

Ok that’s better. Calamus takes down his Popplio with relative ease.

Next he sends out Noibat. I send Baghnakh as a counter but almost loses her to confusion shenanigans.

I switch to Lullaby who managed to finish the bat.

And finally, he sends his mascot Pikachu, I send out Bident who Mud Slaps it (very slowly) to death, and wins the battle, with a few tense moments. And as a reward for his effort Bident learns Spark.

And Calamus evolves! Epic. I’m not sure what I think of Dartix. Again, I’m having trouble with the concept of a Grass Flying starter pokemon evolving into a Grass Ghost pokemon. So far Calamus has been reasonably useful, but I just can’t seem to fully connect to it. In time hopefully.

I mentioned it before, but I do like Hau’s motivation to become better than his famous grandfather. Makes him a far more interesting character compared to some of his other personality quirks.

That’s the plan! Though if you don’t mind, leaving me alone for a couple of damned minutes, I’ll just return to that cave once more and get me a...

Smoochum! (Not a bad nature). Man, this game has a lot of Kanto Psychic types early on, like all of the none-legends come to think about it. I’m actually among the very small group of pokefans who sort of like Jynx. I mean, not my favorite pokeon or anything, but I do enjoy using it. Still, I don’t think an Ice Psychic baby pokemon is exactly what our team needs right now, so to the box with you, for now at least.

We continue looting the cave, find NeverMeltIce. Find a new location with no new pokemon called Kala’s Bay where we find this mysterious letter in a bottle:

Interesting, I’ll do my best to remember that. Sounds like he’s been spirited away or carried to the fairy realm. Perhaps he got to where the space folks come from?

And at last with a sign of good luck (and religious coercion) we return to Route 3.

We defeat a few trainers along the way, until we finally reach the Grand Trial.

*gulp, so I heard, and remember vaguely.

Luckily that’s literally half my team, and two of the rest resists Fighting type moves.

(I don’t know what is it about him, but I just find him extremely cool).

Here we go! Wish me luck.

Snare the Ekans lvl 17 vs Machop lvl 15.

Intimidate kicks in.

Snare used Glare. Paralyzed.

Machop used Revenge (31/42).

Hala used Full Heal.

Snare used Screech, and missed. Arg. Can Screech miss? Didn’t know that.

Snare used Glare. Machop paralyzed.

Machop used Revenge (19/42).

Ok Snare doesn’t really have any proper moves to damage Machop. I say enough.

Snare return, go Lullaby! Lvl 16 Slowpoke.

Machop used Revenge (47/56).

Machop used Focus Energy.

Lullaby used Confusion. Almost 1/2 HP.

Lullaby used Confusion (!1/10 HP), almost...

Machop used Revenge, critical hit! (11/56). Arg.

Super Potion on Machop.

Super Potion on Lullaby (first used in battle).

Lullaby used Confusion (almost 1/2 HP).

Machop used Revenge, critical hit 15/56. Come on, again? What are the odds?

Super Potion on Lullaby (second used in battle).

Machop Revenge 38/56. Critical hit. Arg! What are the odds, paralyze isn’t kicking, and another crit.

Potion on Lullaby (third used in battle).

Machop used Revenge, critical hit 39/56.

This is getting ridiculous, 4 times in a row crit and no paralyze. I had enough! I can’t keep using healing all the time.

Lullaby used confusion (1/10 HP), almost!

Machop used Revenge, critical hit, Lullaby dead. ARG!!! No! What are the odds?! COME ON!

Hmm, still, such an unneeded death... And I have no one to blame but myself. I let my emotions take control of me. I should have kept healing again or switched, such a silly mistake.

Go Calamus lvl 17 Dartix, avenge!

Calamus used Peck. Machop is dead. At last!

Hala sends out Makuhita lvl 15.

Makuhita used Fake Out 52/58.

Calamus used Peck, 1/2 HP

Makuhita used Arm Thrust, 47/58.

Calamus used Peck, Makuhita is dead.

Its Ace time, Hala sends out Crabrawler lvl 16.

Crabrawler used Pursuit, 39/58.

Calamus Peck, 2/3 HP.

Crabrawler Pursuit 31/58.

Calamus Peck, 1/3 HP.

Hmmm should finish I it? I’m afraid it has a Z move and I’m at 31 HP. Nah, let’s heal, not taking two stupid risks at the same battle, we’ll save that for future battles...

Super Potion on Calamus (fourth used in battle, I remind you, I’m trying not to pass 5 potions per battle as an unofficial rule for this blind run).

Crabrawler used Leer. Defense down.

Calamus used Peck, Crabralwer is on 1 HP. Come on!

Hmm... Peck again, I guess.

Crabrawler used Leer. Defense down.

Calamus used Peck. Crabrawler is dead.

That was one weird battle.

Hooray!

I’m so sorry Lullaby, luck was cruel to you, and I should have been more careful. Rest in peace, you won’t be forgotten. May this box remain mostly empty for as long as possible.

And we are given our first ride pokemon. I can’t remember if in Sun we also got that exact marauding Tauros, but either way I do like the fact it is a specific Tauros and not a general one. I talked about this in my Sun run, but even though the ride feature makes sense and freeing us from the need of HMs as a move slot was a great call, I don’t like the fact we are using an anonymous slave pokemon for this purpose. Having to use a pokemon you befriended makes much more thematical sense.

And at this point I planned on ending this update, as seemed fitting. Finishing by consulting you guys on who to add to my team from my box to replace Lullaby.

However, I remembered that now that I have the Tauros ride feature there were two more locations I can catch pokemon in (well, I thought it was 1, but later realized it was 2), so I decided to first head there.

My first catch of the cave was Maxilla. Steel Fairy is an amazing type combo and there is a good reason why they gave it two to mediocre pokemon and two legends. However: A) She has a meh nature. B) I have no idea if you can even get Mega Mawile in this game early enough or at all, which makes her much more playable as Mawile has very meh stats. So sadly, I decided to box her for now. A Carbink could have been far better, even though I used one in my last Sun run, and Roggenrola would also be much appreciate with Boldore being one of my favorite Gen 5 pokemon.

I then receive the Flyinium Z from who is later revealed to be one of the E4 members, and a character I honestly know very little about other than the fact she plays golf and has a killer Toucannon. I give Flyinium Z to my Calamus, and on the way am reminded to give Fightinium Z which I got from Hala to Gabriela.

I then reach Farthest Hollow which I’m pretty sure counts as a separate area (new name, new area when it comes to Alola, right?). There I meet a pokemon I always really-really wanted to try out.

Meet Capitolina the Rockruff! Can’t decide if that’s a good nature or not, still such an adorable pokemon. I don’t know a lot about it, still I remember it has two possible evolutions. I think one evolves at day and one at night? Well, this is a blind run, so I guess we’ll find out!

That makes me want to keep it even more.

Anyway, like you probably understood already I decided to add her to the team to fill Lullaby’s spot.

And this seems like the perfect place to finally end this chapter.

This is our current team:

All lovely pokemon. Sadly, Baghnakh who used to be a favorite of mine is for some reason losing grace. Perhaps because of the matchups I got so far, or other pokemon stealing the spotlight. Either way overall I love them all.

Join me next time as we loot everything that is left in this miserable island, and go on to rob the next one! Arr!

Calamus the Dartix lvl 5-19 Male, Snare the Ekans lvl 10-18 Male, Bident the Grubbin lvl 4-17 Male, , Baghnakh the Alolan Meowth lvl 8-17 Female, Gabriela the Hawlucha lvl 9-18 Female, and Capitolina the Rockruff lvl 13-15 Female.

Lullaby the Slowpoke lvl 6-16 Male

Charm the Mime JR. lvl 7. Ope’ape’a the Zubat lvl 6. Nibble the Yungoos lvl 10, Maxilla the Mawile lvl 13, Darwin the Oricorio lvl 12, Yukinko the Smoochum lvl 9, Astray the Drifloom lvl 6-14)

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
I always felt like Ilima was doing the introduction to a Youtube video or something whenever I ran into him. He's not a bad trial captain, just a bit bland. Which is fitting considering he's the first one we encounter. Gabriela is a great catch for the Alola region, and that great nature isn't bad either. Bit sad about the lack of boosted Exp, but once you get enough hearts on her, you should be fine.

Oricorio is an interesting Pokemon with a sort of neat gimmick, but it also doesn't evolve so what you see is basically what you get. Still, I've used one before and it's not a bad Pokemon. I'm sorry about Lullaby though, that Focus Energy really did wonders for that Machop. Guess Crabrawler felt sorry for you though, which is nice enough. And yes, Screech only has 85% accuracy. I have missed many Screeches in my time.

Good luck with the next part of the game!

Alba Corbina

Johto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Yikes, I know Focus Energy is supposed to raise the crit ratio, but I don’t think it’s supposed to go up to 100%! That’s some seriously bad luck

Arie Kazami

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Oh boy! Hawlucha and Mawile sure's one heck of good catch! Especially you can teach Bounce from a move tutor on next island for your Hawlucha and equip flynium-Z on it and you got yourself a bird who can NUKE EVERYTHING that slower than it! Just be careful though as Hawlucha not exactly the most durable bird around.

Akala also got some surprise for you...and as for totem for the water-type trial...it not weak to grass, that's what I can say. Also, Poor Lullaby...he still too young...focus energy+revenge just...OUCH

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
I never made the coonection between Oricorio and Darwin's finches... shame on me!

Anyway, seconding your other fans - Hawlucha is a great catch and I'm glad you found a worthy replacement for Lullaby, I've never used Rockruff or it's family so she'll be one to watch.

Something I noticed during your Hala battle - his Makuhita was able to land an Arm Thrust attack on Calamus? Isn't Dartix part ghost, so would be immune to fighting-type moves? Or maybe I am sorely out of date with Gen VII mechanics...

Looking forward to part 5!

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
Isn't Dartix part ghost, so would be immune to fighting-type moves? Or maybe I am sorely out of date with Gen VII mechanics...
Not until it's final form.
Fun fact, Decidueye's ghost typing may be a reference to the extinct Stilt Owl that had the same kind of prominent legs. On top of that, cultures all over the world of associated owls with the afterlife in one way or another.

pikasphere

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 30, 2019
Ooh, a blind USUM run! I think I remember your sun run from way back, so it's great to see what you'll make of this!

Wow, Focus Energy was a killer there. IIRC, it makes critical hits happen 50% of the time, so that was quite some bad luck. You did say the Slowpoke family has been reliable for you in the past, so it's a shame what happened to this one :(

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
@SimplyUnknown - Interesting take on Ilima, when I reread it in my head with this tone I could see what you were talking about. Yep, bland is the right word for it, I know he is Normal type, but still compare him to Norman. Oh, I try not to get those heart ups too much intentionally and sort of let it “naturally” happen (I pet them once in a while when they do a good job, and clean them after battle). I’m really happy with Gabriela, I really hope she’ll stay with us for long (I know this game is hard so I’m emotionally preparing myself for losing lots of pokemon...). Yeah, I can see myself using an Oricorio one day (perhaps on my planned Moon “using only Gen 7 mons” run), but just not on this one. Ha, indeed Crabrawler went easy on us, perhaps the Kahuna heard of our lost before the battle and told him to take the fall. Thanks so much!

@Alba Corbina - I know right? Hope this was all the bad luck I’ll get in this run.

@Arie Kazami - Yeah, I love Gabriela so much, she is such a beast. Oh, I only now after sitting down to write part 5 realized which tutor you were talking about (I think, it’s the BP ones right?), I’ll keep that in mind! Interesting! Can’t wait to see what the next trial has instore for me.

@mewstein - and you call yourself a biologist, Shame! (Kidding, I don’t think it’s that obvious, I mean, they don’t look like finches in any way). Capitolina will be the imperial symbol of our team! As Time Master Eon said, Dartix is indeed not yet a Ghost (which is weird for me, but oh well). Though luckily, she is Flying so not very effective.

@Time Master Eon - Yep! And that’s really cool, I feel like they gave a lot of thought into the pokemon of Alola (and if I may say so, one thing that is improving over the generations in this franchise in my opinion is how deep the lore of every pokemon is these days, including in Galar. Game Freak does a great job on that, and I’m saying that as a 90 kid / pseudo Genwunner who has lots of love and nostalgia to the old mons as well). I’m also starting to slowly grow to like Calamus more and more, it took some time, but I’m starting to see his beauty and strength.

@pikasphere - Hi there! Yeah, of course I remember you from “Blinded by the Sun”. Well, welcome to the sequel! Hope we won’t get crushed too fast, wish us luck! Indeed, Lullaby will be dearly missed, my only comfort is that perhaps I used his kind so many times before, the gods decided I should leave him out of this one and give other mons a chance.

Part 5 - Hiking, Surfing and just Chilling at the Mall

*Sitting near the fireplace (aka window in my blazing hot middle-eastern country), putting down my glass of bobrun. Hello there, I didn’t see you come in. Well, welcome young and old (though I doubt much older than me), my memory isn’t what it used to be my dear listeners. Now let’s open the book and see, where were we? *open a comically large tome with a badly drawn picture of Mimikyu on it.

Ah yes, with little Capitolina the Rockruff by our sides, replacing our beloved fallen Lulluaby the Slowpoke. We cleared the Grand Trial of Melemele island, and now it is time to continue looting this island for everything it has to offer! Lots of side quests, hidden items, and just enjoying the beautiful scenery Alola has to offer, a more relaxing part of the game some might say (This is going to be a battle light and exploration heavy chapter, warning in advance), which in a violent game such as this isn’t necessarily a bad things. Gives me an opportunity to bond with my mons a bit before they are cruelly taken away from me.

Ah, nothing like fresh freebies.

Well, after we finished clearing everything Ten Carat Hill has to offer, we decided to go back to Hau’oli City (totally had to google the name up, I just can’t remember any of the Alolan names no matter how hard I try) and see if there was anything else we missed there.

Like every good tourist, the first thing I do in an exotic island location with fascinating culture and gorgeous nature – going to the mall!

I find a Move Tutor who offers to teach my fully evolved starter pokemon a powerful move (Oh it’s the ones where they take a turn and then deal lots of damage right? For some reason I never use those), which is sadly not relevant yet (and I do hope I’ll manage to keep Calamus alive long enough to make it relevant at some point). However, he also offers to teach him Grass Pledge in the meanwhile, which I gladly accept. Even though Calamus seems to be more of a Physical attacker, 80 STAB damage isn’t something I can say no to at this point.

I then enter a place called the Battle Buffet. Just reading the name gives me chills as I get flashbacks to the horror of losing two of my favorite mons in my blind Galarian run to that cursed Coffee Battle in which two over leveled pokemon were thrown against me in a double battle and tore my dearest children apart... But remembering much calmer versions of Food mixed with Battles in pokemon games like the Kalos Restaurants I bravely decide to take the risk and enter the place. That’s the fun of playing blind, right?

I get to fight lots of trainers who each have a team of one mediocre pokemon and manage to get a nice amount of Exp and prize which I can’t even recall what it was, though nothing useful from that I remember.

I then begin one of the weirder themed mini quest I ever played in a pokemon game (and let’s face it, pokemon are notorious for bizarre side quests). I’m asked by the janitor to help him and his Alolan Grimer scoop pokemon poop from around the mall. Yep, yeah heard me, he isn’t completely explicit about it but it’s hard to understand it in any other way. That’s pokemon – 10 years old using their magical pets to defeat legendary beasts, save the world from violent gangsters, and clean poop at the mall.

But hi, a job is a job.

And I’m given Round in return which is not that bad. I always liked Sound Based moves. I wish there were more mechanisms related to them.

I find a few more Totem Stickers, and again I must point that I really enjoy this little feature as the fanatic collector and completionist I am.

I leave the mall and actually remember for once to return to one of the previous mini quests I was given. I show the guy I caught 10 pokemon and get a very handsome reward in return.

Oh wow, sweet!

Lastly, I play around with the Alola Photo Club:

(Lovely, aren’t I talented?).

I then head out into the sunset riding my new Tauros, looking for hidden items who are placed just beyond unnaturally located piles of boulders. On my way I meet a lady who tells me a rather touching story of how she lost her husband to an accident, and her trying to cope with the lost and with the feeling that those that stayed alive are somewhat at fault, yet also with the realization that blaming them now won’t change a thing. As usual pokemon games can really surprise me by how deep and adult they can be at times just out of the blue, wish these parts of the story were more common.

And I’m given Fling. Again, a missed opportunity if you ask me. It would have made so much more sense if I were given this Machamp ride as this specific Machamp, a pokemon with lore and backstory of its own that could make lots of sense joining my team. I do hope that if they ever return to this system of “ride pokemon” they’ll choose to follow this approach, rather than give us more non-personal pokemon slaves. The Galarian Corviknight Taxi service was somewhat of a compromise between the two approaches in this aspect as it did make more sense to be given as a service, though the fact I could order a taxi from anywhere to about anywhere did kill some of the “traveling in the great unknown wilderness” experience.

We then continue onward and meet Professor Samson Oak, a rather amusing character if I may say.

Oh, ok, that’s really cool prize.

Well, hmm, Gumshoos isn’t my favorite pokemon out there but thanks! And who knows, perhaps I’ll get other Totem pokemon after that?

And this island just has no shortage of mini quests. After I finish talking to Oak, I find an old dude who lost his Meowth.

And help get it back in exchange for a few X-Items.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining, mini quests and side quests are a great thing many pokemon games really lack, as they make the world around you appear more realistic and less centered around the protagonist, and give you glimpses into the lives of other characters in this world. Still, some of them could have been just a tad bit more interesting than go fetch.

I’ll spare you the rest of the mini quests I took part in and all the other items I found. I’ll only share one crucial battle – it seems I missed the Ace Trainer of Route 3 who was only willing to fight me after I defeated all the other trainers in this route. Still, even though time had passed and my team were quite leveled up, he gave me a hell of a fight...

He opened with his Slowpoke which Baghnakh managed to slay quite impressively by herself.

But then, came his Butterfree.

First was Baghnakh but she was a bit wounded and I was afraid of Bug moves so I decided to switch her out. I then sent out Bident and attempted to take him down with his Sparks, but he almost killed the poor thing with his Flying moves. I then took a risk and switched in under-leveled Capitolina hoping she will take him down with her 4X deadly moves, but not only did he heal his Butterfree, she got seriously wounded and missed him with her Rock Throw.

I started to run out of options, and so I decided to risk Gabriela who is also weak to that that harbinger of death’s constant Flying moves. It was a tight battle but she managed to kill it with her own Flying moves and win us the battle. They are called Ace Trainers for a reason, I guess!

My prize was a Roost TM which isn’t very useful in a Nuzlocke in which you can use healing items (yet is extremely helpful in those that don’t). However, my even better prize:

Was Baghnakh evolving! And rather early I must say.

Funny, I wouldn’t say its face is its most appealing feature... Though seriously, let’s talk about Alolan Persian’s design for a second: I remember when I first saw how Alolan Persian looked I didn’t really appreciate its design, nor did I understand why its head was so big and round (and from what I’ve seen online I wasn’t the only one). However, after using evolved Baghnakh for a while its looks really started to grow on me. I mean yeah, it has a big head and had lost some of the elegance its Kantonian Form has, but its facial expression even though cartoonish is rather amusing and even adorable, a mix of naughty and snotty, which I’m pretty sure was their intention. Looks like a character out of the Aristocats. So even though I prefer Kantonian Persian, I think they did a pretty decent job with this one.

Anyway, at last, we finished all the silly side quests Melemele had to offer, and are ready to head to the next island!

To my surprise while Lillie and the professor decided to go by boat much like in SuMo, me and Hau are riding a Mantine there!

Akala island here we come!

Woohoo!

And so, we get to try a new riding mechanism, or perhaps I should see it more as a separate mini game - Mantine Surfing.

I won’t go too much into the details of the mini game itself, but I’ll just note how fun it was. I really got the experience of total freedom hopping on that mighty beast, above and beneath the waves. Riding Pokemon had been my dream ever since childhood, and I think Alola has done a wonderful job with them when it comes to the graphics and the feeling they give you (well, most of them at least, I’d love riding a Charizard like the Latios/Latias of ORAS).

And there’s even a cool BP reward system which adds more motivation to playing this (which I hope I’ll remember to abuse later on). And the fact you do it as part of your journey is also brilliant. 5 claws on this one, great job.

And so, we land at Heahea beach ready for some new adventures. We enter the city where we rejoin with the professor and Lillie.

Oh snap! Who’s that?

:worm: , girrrrrl.

Wait, don’t we later find out Olivine is his wife? No, I must be confusing her with someone else, scratch that (though you have to admit they have their own chemistry going, I wouldn’t be surprised if they used to date).

I do like the designs of so many of the trial captains in this game. I haven’t watched the SuMo anime so I don’t know enough about them, but they convey so much character through their short dialogs and appearance. So wait, is Mallow the first captain I’ll be fighting in this island after all? If so that’s another difference from SuMo where I think the water gal with the mighty fish was the first one who fought.

We say farewell to the rest of the group and go on to explore yet another city.

We get to hear weird poketuber fan theories.

Learn more about the lore of this town (I thought the Johto based town was in another island? I do love though how much like in real world Hawaii they talk about the effects of immigration from Japan on the local culture).

And find another lost letter in a bottle (these seem to be common in Alola), and later find the person who it was addressed to.

(I love the Chinchou lamps in the background).

And am given the Heart Scale for ourselves. That’s actually are really cute little story. I remember writing a letter to my future self when I just started junior high and really enjoyed the experience of reading it 3 years later after I finish junior high, seeing what things I wanted to accomplish and what past me wanted for me.

Umm, what else?

I buy Reflect and Light Screen and teach Light Screen to Calamus.

Always a useful move. If they are every offered to me, I always buy them both.

I’m given yet another “show me pokemon X” mini quest. Well, I’m not sure I wish myself being able to do this one, unless it’s a female Salazzle that is, which would be awesome.

I then run across these couple of Kalosians who’s names I forgot, and am dared to a battle out of the blue.

The dude has quite an impressive team, I let Snare stay for one turn hoping to land a Poison but with one confusion I realize I better switch him back (and that I stupidly risked him to a crit), and let Calamus finish the job.

And he gets an Ominous Wind buff, you gotta love moves like this that can change the battle so dramatically in one lucky roll.

He then sends his Espeon which is quite a powerful pokemon for this early on. Luckily with his buff and type advantage Calamus manages to defeat it, though not without a scratch or two. I wonder what would have happened if that Ominous Wind buff wouldn’t have kicked in, I should be more careful.

And as a prize he gives me, of course, a Full Restore. Wait, what? Seriously, you are going to give me this item instead of the obvious identical Lumiose Galette Kalos treat? Well that’s a weird choice, he is probably keeping them all to himself as he is in a forgiven land after all.

We meet Lillie who seems to be having her own little quests while we were traveling around town. In retrospect I’m really curious what was meeting that she missed. I think I remember this part from SuMo as well but I don’t think we were ever told who it was. Her mother? Her brother perhaps? Yeah I guess it must be Gladion.

We get a lot more open mini quest requests which again I’ll spare you the details about such as helping a bell boy find his dream job, helping a few old guys have a reunion, meeting Colress which seems over exciting about Z moves.

And while doing those we pick a few more of those hidden stickers, when at last, we get this message:

We head to the beach, where we are given our very own Totem Gumshoos.

Meet Riddle. Technically a dupe to our Yungoos but we didn’t get a lot of say in this did we? Sadly, her nature is a bit meh so I doubt I’ll be adding her to the team anytime soon. I’m also not really sure in what way she different from her other kin by being a Totem pokemon. I think she is bigger. Are her stats better? Is her ability different? (I see its Adaptably and not Stakeout). If anyone is willing to share, I’d love to hear an explanation about this.

We reach yet another silly roadblock which stops us from exploring the entire town.

And at last, we head into Route 4 to actually start battling something! But first... An encounter. I run blindly into the grass and...

A wild Eevee! I think that’s one of the pokemon I’m most excited about seeing in the wild in any game. Who doesn’t love an Eevee? Now not to kill it...

And we got it! (With an Ultra Ball, paralyzed and wounded, after 4 attempts, but who’s counting).

Meet Poly! (I’m reserving the right to change its name after I’ll decide what to evolve it into)

High Attack low Speed nature. Interesting! So Flareon, Leafeon or Umbreon probably. I could really use a good Fire type, which is also my favorite type.

However... and I feel like I’m dishonoring my good luck a bit, I think I’ll wait with adding Poly to my team. He has so much potential, and saving him for later when my team will be more established is probably the smarter path at this point when I don’t even have access to any evolution stone (though it will require grinding). Man, I hate not adding him right away, but I think that’s my call. Please don’t hate me for it. See you later little guy!

And now for the obvious question:

What other catches Ruby could have gotten?!

First of all, Eevee seems to be an extremely rare encounter (I didn’t see any other Eevee in all my searches), which makes me feel both extremely lucky and a little bad for not adding Poly into our team. Lillipup which is such a solid pokemon in Nuzlockes that served me well so many times before. Pikipek, which is cool but I’m not lacking in Flying types currently. Yungoos and Grubbin dupes, and Mudbray which is one of my favorite Alolan pokemon. Wow, a pretty good route! Though again, not complaining, I definitely got the best option.

Also I’m pretty sure I saw this before yet it somewhat surprises me every time to see Igglybuff and Jigglypuff hovering around like balloons (as the anime Jigglypuff never did that). Does Wigglytuff have the same ability, or its helium to body mass ratio finally anchors it to the ground?

We continue traveling in this route, finally getting to fight a bit and give our small team a little bit more experience.

Bident levels up and learns Acrobatics which is such a crazy powerful move to have so early on. I’ll be taking that Silver Powder thank you very much.

We find this odd yet adorable location called Pikachu valley which is filled with Pikachu. Sadly, you can’t catch any Pikachus here, however once I win a 5 questions Pikachu quiz, I’m given a few Pikachu memorabilia.

And at last, as we fight our way, we reach Paniola town.

Where we get to fight Hau, old western style.

So far, your team gave me a decent fight, but nothing too extreme. I swear I remember you being a real threat in SuMo dude, prove me wrong!

Baghnakh lvl Alolan Persian 19 vs Brionne lvl 16

Baghnakh used Fake Out ~5/6 HP. Brionne flinched.

Baghnakh used Bite ~1/2 HP.

Brionne used Disarming Voice 41/59. Baghnakh 41/59. Yeah I’m stupid, forgot about this move. Still, I think I can make it.

Baghnakh used Bite, Brionne ~1/10 HP.

Brionne used Disarming Voice 23/59 HP, *gulp.

Baghnakh used Bite, Brionne fainted (don’t judge me, it worked, super effectiveness is for suckers!).

Hau sends out Pikachu lvl 15.

Super Potion on Baghnakh 59/59 HP.

Pikachu used Quick Attack 54/59 HP.

Pikachu used Quick Attack 49/59 HP.

Baghnakh used Bite, critical hit, Pikachu down. Oh wow, Technician is sure strong.

Hau sends out Noibat lvl 14. Let’s give Captiolina some of the action.

Go Capitolina lvl 18 Rockruff.

Noibat used Tackle (I think?) 47/49 HP.

Noibat used Bite 41/49 HP.

Capitolina used Rock Throw, Noibat fainted.

Hau sends out Eevee lvl 14. Nice. Hmm, makes me want to use Poly. Based on the level I bet he caught it here.

Eevee used Quick Attack, 37/49 HP.

Capitolina used Rock Throw, ~1/2 HP.

Eevee used Quick Attack, 30/49 HP.

Capitolina used Rock Throw, ~1/10 HP.

Eevee used Quick Attack, 24/49 HP. Ate Oran Berry, 34/49 HP.

Capitolina used Bite, Eevee is down.

I remembered Hau as a much tougher opponent. Oh well, not complaining, another challenge behind us. You can also blame the fact I seem to be a bit over leveled, but playing blind I have no regrets about this aspect (nor can I predict the levels of my opponents, and I’ve been bitterly wrong about such estimates in the past).

And Hau gives us a Dire Hit which I highly doubt I’ll use (I do my best to avoid X items as they are so OP, perhaps they’ll be helpful against that end game boss you guys have scared me so much about). However, he does share an interesting point about the Totem Aura I wasn’t aware of. It seems they work just like any other buff meaning critical hits go through them, that’s good to know!

Anywhere this seems to be a good place to end this part.

Here’s the team:

I’d love to hear your thoughts about the team, about Poly the Eevee here and what I should do with him and when. And in general, just wish me luck! And see you next time when we make our way to the next trial, and hopefully get a bit more action.

Calamus the Dartix lvl 5-20 Male, Snare the Ekans lvl 10-19 Male, Bident the Grubbin lvl 4-19 Male, , Baghnakh the Alolan Persian lvl 8-19 Female, Gabriela the Hawlucha lvl 9-19 Female, and Capitolina the Rockruff lvl 13-18 Female.

Lullaby the Slowpoke lvl 6-16 Male

Charm the Mime JR. lvl 7. Ope’ape’a the Zubat lvl 6. Nibble the Yungoos lvl 10, Maxilla the Mawile lvl 13, Darwin the Oricorio lvl 12, Yukinko the Smoochum lvl 9, Astray the Drifloom lvl 6-14, Riddle the Totem Gumshoos lvl 20, Poly the Eevee lvl 14)

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
We get a lot more open mini quest requests which again I’ll spare you the details about such as helping a bell boy find his dream job, helping a few old guys have a reunion, meeting Colress which seems over exciting about Z moves.
Tell Colress to high-tail it back to Unova sharpish, I need him for page 39 of Bad Apples!

Good job on a death-free episode although I'd be very tempted to add that Totem Gumshoos to my team for the novelty factor (although he'd probably buggar up the battle animation frame rate on my ancient DS!). Good to see an evolved Baghnahk - and honestly I'd hold off using Eevee at all as I feel it's overused in Nuzlockes...maybe keep Poly as a back up back up plan eh?

Well done for getting past the Mantine Surf escapade - I ended up rage-quitting it several times (but then you've always been more of a fan of mini games and new features than me)... maybe they should introduce a fishing mini game for us boomers!

Last edited:

Arie Kazami

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Pretty good catch for that Eevee! The tutor in Akala is the one who going to teach Bounce to your Hawlucha, that was a great move for her. You can obtain those BP's just by surfing too. There also a special reward if you manage to taking the first place in all four surfing course too(at each island)

If you wishes to brought Eevee..I recommend you to evolve it into Leafeon as backup if anything happened to your Dartrix. Also keep gathering those stickers; There many good totem mons that could be useful for your team later on(sans one who can be only obtained during post-game). Otherwise, good luck man!

pikasphere

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 30, 2019
I almost forgot how many side quests there were in Alola lol. It really does help flesh out the world, even if some of them are kinda boring.

Oak's Totem-sized Pokemon do have a big difference from normal sized mons-- they're bigger! 🙃 And I'm half joking-- this increased size does mean you take more damage from moves like Grass Knot and less from ones like Heavy Slam etc., so the gameplay difference does exist!

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
I love the name Astray for a Drifloon! Perfect! To answer your question about the loto prizes, I generally did not use them except the exp increase ones to help with grinding. I would consider maybe allowing yourself full rein of them for the battle with He Who Must Not be Named. Great job against the first totem, it was tense but very well played!

Holy cow, I never realized the connection of Orichorio and the Darwinian finches, but now that you mentioned it I can’t believe I didn’t see it before! Nice starter evo; I personally love Dartrix and it’s butler owl ways :) reminds me of Blathers from Animal Crossing. Aww poor Lullaby. But I can see how that would happen with all those crits!! But oooooh I am so jealous of your Rockruff catch!! That’s one of my favorite Alola mons and I’ve never caught one in all my playthroughs. And they remind me so much of my German Shepherds that I would have the perfect names!

Woohoo, alolan Persian! They have served me well in my own runs. Oh man, and a wild Eevee catch! My jealousy continues! With Eevee I’ve had great luck in Alola with Sylveon and also with Leafeon (although with your starter I’d imagine that wouldn’t be your first choice). Glad to be finally caught up, and I’m glad to see Hau didn’t give you much trouble! Looking forward to more!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)