• NOTICE: Potential Site Downtime on December 7, 2020.

This is a preliminary notice that you may experience some downtime on December 7, 2020, due to some backend adjustments.

If you attempt to access the Nuzlocke Forums on or around this date, and receive any sort of failure to connect notice, please alert the Nuzlocke Forums Tech Team on Discord (@Tech Team role).

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

Screenshot Alola Mature Dazzling Supernova – An Ultra Sun Blind Nuzlocke - Part 9 is up! (20/11/2020)

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Dazzling Supernova – An Ultra Sun Blind Nuzlocke

1,2,3. 1,2,3.

And, we’re back on the air!

Hi all, it’s been a while since I did a blind run, and if I’m notorious for something around the forums, is my love for these kind of runs in which you know as little as possible about the game you are about to play (aka blind runs), so I dearly missed it. For those of you who are unfamiliar with my previous blind runs you can check them out in my signature. I did a Black run, Black 2 run, Sun run (and this run will probably include a lot of spoilers for it, so do read it before if you are interested), Shield run, and now finally, the last main game left for me to blind (not including Platinum actually, but let’s leave this aside for now) - Ultra Sun!

So, is this truly a blind run? Umm, yes and no. I did my best to avoid spoilers for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon for a long while, and considering all the pokemon stuff I follow I think that’s pretty impressive. I also did one blind Sun run two years ago which is more or less all I know about Alola, and I haven’t played any Alolan games ever since. So sadly unlike my first run of Alola none of the pokemon will be totally new to me (more or less, I still am very much unfamiliar with most of the Ultra Beast, which cost me a pokemon last run, and am not sure I know everything there is to know about all Gen 7 pokemon, their moves, types, and how they evolve). I also vaguely remember the kahunas and island challenges there were in my Sun run. But A) That’s about it, I really remember very little of this game; B) I have no idea in what ways the Ultra games are different, so hopefully I’ll be caught by surprise more than once; C) I can’t check anything online! So even the fact I don’t know the movepools of my enemies will make the game much harder. And I heard the USUM games are one the hardest if not the hardest to Nuzlocke, so hi, this going to be fun! Oh, and one last thing I do know about - there is suppose to be some extremely hard boss near the end of the game but not in the very end, which wipes out Nuzlockes and is supposed to be extremely unfair to the point a lot of people use bullshit clause against it (I won’t be use bullshit clause). I have a guess who/what it is, but am not sure (and even if I’m right, I don’t know the types of that pokemon so this doesn’t help me a lot). So yeah, if I somehow by a miracle I make it all the way to that part, well... wish me luck!

Just one important note for you guys - this is a blind run so please avoid spoiling stuff for me. Please don’t tell me who is my next enemy, what pokemon a certain trainer has, anything about the plot, etc. You can however cheer me up and comment (which is more than welcomed as it motivates me a lot), give me general cryptic clues about what’s coming up, and do/write anything that isn’t an obvious spoiler. For example stuff like: "This pokemon you are using will be useful soon, take good care of it", "poison types are very common in this game, consider keeping a mon that can deal with them", "there was another interesting possible encounter in the grass you could have gotten", or "there is a new mechanism that allows you to do that and that, I think you should be aware of that") are all good! The reason I do posted runs in the first place is how much I enjoy the shared experience of playing together with my readers.

What else? I’ll be playing on my 3DS so the picture quality is going to be rather low as I’m taking them with my phone (sometimes while my daughter is sleeping on my shoulder :) ). This run will be a “screenshot-light run” in which I’ll add a varying number of screenshots per update, and won’t be able to show you everything or report about everything. I will mainly share the game experience of playing a new game I have little knowledge about and will focus on the gameplay itself and my impression of the game, both as a stand-alone game and as a game you can Nuzlocke. Almost like a game review, I guess. This run will be real casual with no set update dates, sorry in advance if things get busy and it takes me a while to update, though I promise you I have no plans of abandoning this run (Though I can’t promise I won’t lose it!). It will also be written in a light hearted manner, with lots of jokes and my silly thoughts as I play through it, and will probably contain “mature humor”. Finally, I'll be playing this run as I post it! So don't be surprised if I horribly fail it and lose my entire team in one battle. Blind runs are harsh. I'll do my best to over grind and be ready :P.

(Oh and Kantonian Fables isn’t canceled! It just requires way more time that I currently don’t have, and I’ll return to it when things settle down some more).

And now, for the rules: If you know me, I usually play with some real bizarre combinations of rules (lorelocke anyone?), but as this is a blind run, I won't add anything major to the basic rules. So just to clarify:

> Basic Nuzlocke Rules (Faint is dead. 1 catch per route. Nicknames are a must).
> Limited dupes clause: I can retry my catch twice if I get a pokemon I already have or had. If I will still get one in my third attempt, I lose the catch for this route.
> Bad memories: can't use or catch any pokemon I already have or had or any of its evolutionary line. Too many bad memories.
> No Legendries. (Unless forced by the game).
> Game on Set.
> Attachment shiny clause (I can catch and keep any shiny no matter when I caught it, but if I choose not to use it or want to box it, I must kill it. No such thing as a free meal, you must earn it and learn to love your shinnies or not use them at all).
> No daycare and Exp. Share allowed (Unless I get a massive wipeout, then I might reconsider just for the purpose of recovery).
Nothing other than that as this is a blind run which makes it hard enough, and I'm saying this from experience. Not even going to limit my item usage per battle, though I’ll do my best not to over abuse it unless I really-really have to. My rule of thumb will be trying to keep it to a maximum of 5 items per battle.

Let’s begin!

Part 1 - Rise and Shine!

Oh Kukui, you must be the weirdest professor of all. I never fully understood your vibe. But I missed you and Alola so much! I think Sun was one of my favorite pokemon games so far, and Galar has a lot to learn from the amount of love the designers gave it.

Let’s go with the short version.

And the game begins. Usual Lillie running away from the Aether grunts cut scene. However...

Ha, already something different! I don’t remember these two on my Sun run. A good sign already that this game is going to be different and unfamiliar to me. To be honest I wasn’t originally planning on posting this run as I’m really busy lately, but as I started playing it and I saw these guys I knew it would be a huge miss not to post it. I still hope there are notable differences between Ultra Sun and Sun. I’m not expecting Black and White 2 levels, but even an Emerald+ will be fine by me.

Back to the weird guys. What the hell are they supposed to be? I’m already intrigued!

Nice! 5/5 RubyClaws for the logo. Now for the extremely long cutscene filled beginning.

The Galarian home is still better looking, but this has to be the second-best protagonist home so far.

You know when I first played this game it was all new to me and even though I heard all the criticism about the long cutscenes and tutorials being unbearable, I didn’t really feel it myself. Wonder how I’ll feel this time.

There is something about the mother in this game that just rubs me the wrong way. I mean, I don’t really like the mother character in any pokemon game come to think of it. They rarely have their own character traits and are just a shadow of the protagonist. I think your Kalos mom is the best of them all as at least she has her own unique backstory. But your mother here just feels like a very new age kind of mom. I got at least three cutscenes of her say the morning blessing in her balcony. I mean, lady, don’t you have a job? Meh, it is probably just me jealous of her extremely comfortable life style of living a carefree life in an exotic island full of pokemon with her family.

Anyway, back to the game itself. I start walking into Route 1 and already, I’m give a choice of a starter!

I think that’s also different from Sun right? We had to wait a ridiculously long time until we were finally given a starter in a weird “don’t you love me?’ ceremony. Well, this is far better! Game-wise at least.

Now who should I choose? Litten is without a doubt my favorite of the bunch, and Torracat is one of my all time favorite pokemon. But I already picked it for my Sun run (Oh my dear Scythe, you died so young). I don’t really like Popplio, mainly because of Brionne who just creeps me out. Decidueye is one of the coolest Grass starters out there (even though I do find the Flying to Ghost type swap a bit weird). So Rowlet it is!

(One hour later after I finally find a name for it):

Welcome to the team Calamus! Careful nature. Well I have no idea if that’s good or not. I think Decidueye is a balanced attacker? Though there is a chance it is a Special one. Well, either way, you are here to stay Calamus, I have faith in you. Don’t let me down as I’ll need any help I can get in this cruel-cruel game.

I continue my traveling. Alola is sure beautiful and so well designed.

Yet is filled with roadblocks like every other pokemon game.

And we meet Hau. I remember really disliking him the first time I met him, as I naturally lean towards the nastier rivals (Blue is my role model for a good rival). Still over time he grew on me as I realized that unlike your unbearable Let’s Go rival for example Hau is just a genially positive dude, and isn’t over nice to you for a superficial gameplay reason. I wonder what my opinion of him will be in Ultra Sun though.

And he picks the starter that is weak to mine leaving the last starter to the professor, interesting. I’m pretty sure he did the same thing last time. I wonder if it also means Kukui will be the final boss in this game or not. Let’s hope I’ll actually make it to the end to find out!

And we have our own little battle. Cool, he got a female Popplio, wonder if that’s random or not.

We obviously defeat him as Calamus already has Leafage, and we move on with the plot.

Hmm, serenity now.

I get to Iki town, talk to all the people and search all the houses for freebies. I do love the vibe of Alola and all the Hawaiian lore it has.

I’m reminded this game has the petting and grooming feature! I really missed it in Gen 8, still not sure why they replaced it with the training and ball play features. Perhaps to save on animation? Either way my policy will be just like in my last blind run – I’m only allowed to use this when the game offers me or after an important battle to slowly build the bond with my pokemon and not over use it.

We continue onward to the famous bridge where I meet Lillie and Nebbie.

It starts the same, the bridge isn’t stable, Nebbie is being attacked by those wild Spearows. Lillie calls for our help.

But then we get to fight one of the Spearows, which I’m pretty sure didn’t happen last time. In case I’m correct I think that’s a pretty wise decision by the game designers as it makes the experience far more personal.

The bridge collapses, Tapu Electrocdude (forgot its name and obviously I can’t google it) saves the day, and the seemingly side quest which is actually the main quest begins!

And again, the day ends, and again we wake up at home, which although makes sense story wise is starting to get a tiny bit annoying.

I use this opportunity to scout around our house, only to find a rare mention of our father! I wonder why his car is here but he is not? Did he stay in Kanto and will reunite with us later? Are my parents divorced? Is he a pokemon trainer by himself who also set on a journey when he was 11 years old, impregnated my mother, and returned to the glorious life of a traveling trainer? I guess we’ll never know!

And the Nuzlocke begins.

So, this is technically the part of Route 1 simply known as “Route 1” (A majestic name). I think we also got the Starters here, but I don’t think they count as the encounter of this area. I’ll be referring to Route 1 as a few different regions as is customary in Alola, each based on their sub name.

And here we go, my first ever catch is...

Grubbin, nice! I never got to use one of these and I really like Vikavolt! (At least its design, I don’t know much about the pokemon itself. I do remember reading it is ridiculously slow compared to its appearance). And again, I have no idea if this is a good nature or not, looks like the kind of pokemon who uses their Attack but who knows. Welcome to the team Bident (a two headed Trident in case you were wondering).

I’m pretty sure this description fits any pokemon, and pretty much any animal come to think of it. Kids don't stick your hands into unfamiliar nests!

Now, let’s play our favorite game:

What other pokemon Ruby could have gotten! (Trade mark).

Well from what I’ve seen I pretty much got the best option. I saw Ledyba (horrible, horrible pokemon, no offense for you Ledyba fans out there, if you even exist), Caterpie (ok I guess), Yungoos (never got to use one properly, but being the regional rodent I’m guessing it isn’t very good and will be quite common anyway), and Pikipek (a good pokemon, but I currently have Calamus as a flying type, and even though it will eventually lose this type for now it is a bit redundant). If I remember correctly this game has different pokemon in the day/night, so I might have missed on something good, still I’m overall really happy with Bident.

We continue to one of my least favorite parts of any pokemon game for some reason - beating preschoolers to tears.

When we again run into those two folks that look like they got out of a Sci Fi B-Movie.

It seems they are travelers from a faraway place. Time travelers? Ultra-Space Travelers? Am I reading too much into this? Guess we’ll find out in time.

Blinding one you say? Amusing choice of words for this run :P. I wonder if they are talking about Solgaleo, an Ultra Beast, or another legendary pokemon.

(I love that Alolan Exeggutor in the background! Look at the size of that thing. They should really make more massive pokemon. I always had great love to massive animals).

We move forward, and finally we get to the festival. The end of the tutorial, and time for another battle with Hau.

His Pichu gives Bident a hard time, but it is nothing a Potion can’t fix, and eventually we Vice Grip it to death. It reminds me that Hau is going to have a pretty deadly team later which will include an Alolan Raichu.

He then sends out his Popplio which Calamus decimates. And the battle ends with our victory.

And we are given a Z-Ring! I totally forgot about those. This feature does make things a bit more complicated in a Nuzlocke, and far riskier. I did overall enjoy it, although I’m happy it is one of the many features Game Freak didn’t move on to their next games (Unlike Mega Evolution, which I really hope will make a return in Gen 9...).

Indeed I am! And this seems like a fitting place to end the first part.

Ooh, ominous, and I love the addition of this new strange content. Can’t wait to see where this is going!

Calamus the Rowlet lvl 5-8 Male, Bident the Grubbin lvl 4-7 Male

None so far, don’t count on it staying that way for long.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Kanto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
The first encounter Grubbin was scripted just like the Pikipek in vanilla Sun and Moon, but the nature is good - for Vikavolt anyway, not so much getting there. Also you picked the worst starter by far, good job. I don't just say this because I don't like Decidueye - I say this because it's absolute ass compared to the other two. I used it in Ultra Moon and hated how useless it was. You've certainly made this difficult for yourself! Good luck.

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Aaaand he's back! Man, has it really been two years since Blinded By The Sun? How time flies...I'll have to get cracking with that banner of yours!

I use this opportunity to scout around our house, only to find a rare mention of our father! I wonder why his car is here but he is not? Did he stay in Kanto and will reunite with us later? Are my parents divorced? Is he a pokemon trainer by himself who also set on a journey when he was 11 years old, impregnated my mother, and returned to the glorious life of a traveling trainer? I guess we’ll never know!
He's under the garage.

A promising start so far - I'm pretty much in the dark like you for this run as the lag on my cranky old DS made playing Ultra Moon a painful experience that I ended up quitting before I'd gotten a quartre of the way into the game. I do remember Grubbin was my preferred first capture though so I'm sure you won't go far wrong with that crawly wee critter...at the very least you should be able to toast some marshmallows on his pointy bits...

Good luck!

MarkedInStone

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Over Mt. Silver and down in the Valley Windworks
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This POKéMON is struggling to figure out what interesting stuff he can put into his Pokédex entry.
I've got one cryptic hint for ya.

When that with which you began looks to be at its strongest, remember that this game knows no mercy and risk not a chilling fate.

Either way, lovely to finally get to see one o' these in real time!

Alba Corbina

Johto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Hey, it's great to see you start another one of these runs!

I've heard the reason the Rowlet line switches to being Ghost-type is because there used to be a species of owl native to Hawaii that went extinct.

My one complaint about Hau is that he never really seems affected by the plot. Oh sure, in the moment, he'll act scared, but 5 minutes later he'll be going on about malasadas as if he didn't just watch a jellyfish alien rip a hole in the fabric of reality.

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
Aye, a new run and it's Ultra Alola series which is my favourite~!

Pretty solid so far, bud. But don't lower your guard down just yet, the Ultra Alola has many things that different than the Sun and Moon ones.

Also...Yeah, I always feel bad whenever beating those preschooler and youngsters. Kinda makes our character being a jerk

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Woohoo, super pumped to see another blind run!! And oh man, I feared this day. The day you blind Ultra Sun- the hardest Pokemon game to date, in my opinion. The first nuzlocke to net me an entire PC box full of dead mons, finally losing to that ridiculously powerful boss you mentioned. I hope you meet a kinder fate. Not to further freak you out buuuut I have lost 2/3 Rowlets and 2/2 Grubbins. But I honestly like Grubbin a lot and I hope one day I can keep one to its final evolution! Maybe I will get to vicariously live out this dream through this run :) Looking forward to this journey!

Uberle

Lur King
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bothers him
i am here

So looking off to a good start
Grubbin's a fun first encounter, looking forward to the eventual Vikivolt
And yes, it's really slow, but it also has a ridiculously high Special Attack stat to make up for it

Yep
Now we got space man
Can't wait to see your reaction to how they're involved in the plot

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
Great start! That's a good nature for Rowlet - having more defense/special defense is always good in a Nuzlocke.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
First of all, before we begin, a brand-new banner for this run by the extremely talented @mewstein !

I mean, what more can I say? Brilliant, don’t you agree?

@Arbitrary - Interesting, I remembered being told that that Pikipik was a pre-set encounter in my Blind Sun run, and therefore when I saw that Grubbin I figured it wasn’t relevant in this game anymore and that I was just lucky. Well, works for me anyway, I’m really interested in seeing what this evolutionary line has to offer. Ha! Well, that’s good to know. I was always a Charmander fan even in Gen I, so I guess difficult-mode starter feels right at home for me. Thank you! It sounds like I’ll need it. Hope you’ll enjoy the ride.

@mewstein - I know, it feels like it was a few months ago max, life goes by way too fast. Thank you so much for the beautiful banner, you really outdid yourself, and I full heartedly mean it. Oh dear, poor dad! So that over cheerfulness by mom and all that new-age stuff is just a decoy? Thanks! I hope you can enjoy this journey through my tales, though I warn you, I anticipate a lot of heart aches in the process.

@MarkedInStone - Oooh cryptic indeed! I’ll remember this one. Thanks a lot! Hope you’ll enjoy seeing me lose pokemon and suffer :D.

@Alba Corbina - Hi there! Great seeing you here, really hope you’ll enjoy another one of my blind endeavors. Oh, that’s pretty cool, I remember vaguely something about each of the starters representing extinct or endangered species I think. Ha, well good point about Hau. I’d say sadly that’s a common trope for many characters in pokemon games, but in a game with a great story such as Sun/Moon and perhaps USUM I guess it stands out more when you have such a character. I’d say he has an over optimistic approach, regardless of the situation.

@Arie Kazami - Hi there dude, great to have you in this run! Ah yes, I heard horror stories and I promise to do my best to overgrind and not let my guard down. Sun already brought me dangerously close to an early grave, and I’d hate wiping out too soon (especially after I recently lost a Blind run). Yep, I mean, why preschoolers? I much preferred defeating shorts loving youngsters whose age is vague enough and attitude towards battle is more sportive.

@Spectacles - Thanks so much! Thanks to your stories of your hard yet brave Ultra Sun run I always think of your run whenever Ultra Sun comes to mind. I’ll do my best to make you proud and avenge your fallen comrades!

@Uberle - Hi Ub, great to have you here! Hope you’ll enjoy the run. Oh nice, so Special Attack is the preferred stat for the Grubbin line? That’s good news for little Bident. Well I do like how so early the story differs from Sun/Moon, hope it stays this way.

@khorale - Thanks a lot! Well, considering what Arbitrary just said that’s good to know. I have faith in Calamus.

Part 2 - Back to School

(Apologies for the bad quality of some of the screenshots. As I mentioned before I’m taking these on my phone in sub-optimal conditions. Sorry!).

Ok, it is almost time for this game’s unofficial tutorial – the Trainers' School!

But first, we follow Lillie who is suffering from a severe inferiority complex.

This is what happens when ten-year old kids who train their pets to fight till they faint are the society’s role models. Lillie, you do you.

We are given the Rotom-Dex, which, from what I remember, I overall enjoyed in my Sun run. A sassy little side kick. Hope my opinion stays the same throughout this run.

We then get a peek into Lillie’s room, which is an odd moment in the game, a bit creepy even that we are even allowed to go there after she clearly says otherwise to Hau. Still, ignoring that fact, I believe this is a great example of how with just a bit of extra text and object placement you can really tell a story and add so much more depth into a world and character.

For example, this little object, with just one line of text you get a look into the popular society of this island, and into Lillie’s world who is doing her best to be a part of it. On my first playthrough I didn’t pay much attention to this, but in retrospect this sort of item really is quite common in rooms across Alola, and if I remember correctly mainly in the rooms of Team Skull members. I assume this is also a way to show off and explain the Eye Color changing feature and the high level of customization of your character in this game. (I also love that ceiling window).

This is to show us Lillie is a complex and curious person who loves knowledge and is intelligent beyond her age. Perhaps in a simplistic way, but still a rather effective one.

And this is of course to show us the conditions in which Lillie is now staying, both as a reference for later when we’ll realize who her mother is and from what sort of life style she originally came, and to show us her personal growth from a supposedly over protected child to a person who can take care of themselves and make do with what life throws at her.

But I’m rumbling too much here over these minor details of the game. Just thought it is a great example, and stands in contrast to too many empty generic locations in many pokemon games (see the houses in the Galar region as a very negative example in my opinion). It is true that is sadly a common feature of many RPG games, though I feel pokemon lets themselves get away with these sorts of things far more than other modern games, which is quite sad.

I’m ready!

And before we leave off, another new event I don’t recall happening in Sun - we got an extremely unnaturally short solar eclipse, and a short loreful explanation about the history of Alola, probably an omen for things to come.

At last, we return to the gameplay. We are technically in another new route, Hau'oli Outskirts! This is where I got my loyal Drizzling Wingull Dutchman last time. Let’s see what we get this time. And the third addition to our little team is...

Lullaby my new Slowpoke (another male it seems). And he has amazing Nature. Man, luck has really been on my side when it comes to Natures so far. And Slowpoke is one of my favorite all time pokemon, and especially in Nuzlockes. My only complaint is I over used this pokemon to death on almost any occasion I had (it is so OP in Kanto for example I just can’t resist adding it whenever I get the chance). But no matter, we’ll use this line once more, and enjoy every minute of it. A great new addition to the team (though it could have been nice if it had any STAB moves).

Did I mention that I like the Gen 7 Dex entries? Another great example :).

And as usual, what other catches Ruby could have gotten?

Well not that many honestly. Unless I missed some ultra rare options all I could find are Wingulls and Inkays. Inkay could have been an interesting pokemon to use, but overall not that much better than a Slowbro. So yeah, I’m pretty happy with Lullaby. I do wonder if I missed other pokemon though, I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that different patches of grass have different encounter rates in the Gen 7 games.

I had a bit of a close call with a wild Inkay (look at Lullaby and how shocked he is. He just can’t believe I would risk him that way). But everyone made it home safely and we continued onwards.

I stopped by to buy some potions and pokeballs.

Ordered me a drink at the Café, even though I still have no idea what it does. Feels classy though.

(Possibly just a source of poke beans?).

Ran into another classical pokemon road block (this time a literal road block), this time it is just the same raging Tauros as in Sun. I mean pokemon games are so weird when you say their plots out load. It all sounds so family friend and cuddly, until you realize you can’t enter a city because a raging bull is running amok in the streets.

And at last, it is time for the Trainers’ School. All I remember from this place from last time is the headmistress’s deadly Magnemite, which I believe I burned to death. Well no Fire pokemon this time.

Here we go, I’m ready.

It is nice of them to give it so early on, though as I said before I won’t be using the Exp Share. I used to believe Exp Shares ruins the fun in Nuzlockes as they take out a lot of the risk of grinding. I still overall feel this way for most of my runs (especially in games such as XY), and therefore I’ll avoid using it here, still I do get that grinding can be a tedious and uninteresting part of a run, and there are times especially after a major team wipe out that Exp Share can make the game far more bearable. I still though am very much against the forced Exp Share in Galar, and really hope they’ll give us the option to turn it off again in future games. Let me enjoy the growth of my pokemon and get attached to them on my own pace. The common exp candies were a really good solution to avoid grinding, there is no need for this on top of that.

I fight my way through the various trainers, using this opportunity to train my team.

Until I finally reach a new patch of grass, which is technically a new route! And my encounter is...

Nice! I used many Alolan forms before in different games, but never got to use one of these furry buddies. She gives me a bit of a hard time but eventually, I catch her.

Meet Baghnakh! I’m not really sure but I tend to believe she has meh nature (but I’ve been wrong here before, perhaps her line is a Special Attacker in this form?).

Technician is a great ability however, both in usefulness especially early on, and in design. I’m not sure and the description doesn’t explain, but if I remember correctly it boosts moves of Base Power up to 60 by an impressive sum. +25% perhaps? Or +20? I don’t really remember.

Either way I almost immediately grow attached to my newest team member, with a Rowlet as my starter I’m glad I got a chance to have an evil cat friend early on instead of my beloved Litten.

What other catches Ruby could have gotten?

Well from what I’ve seen: Magnemite which could have been nice, I used this line a lot of times before and it is sure powerful, though I do have a soon to be Electric type already. Alolan Grimer. Another interesting option, though I used it back in my Sun run before so I’m ok with not getting one this time. And Zorua which I sort of regret I didn’t get. Sorry Baghnakh, no offense you’re amazing, but Zorua is a really special and stylish pokemon which I never got a chance to use (you can’t god damn change the nickname of the gift one you get in Gen 5, so I refused to use it! Yeah, I’m that fanatic). Oh well, still, no regrets. I have to say I really enjoy the variety of odd pokemon they offer me early on in this game. Lots of Dark types though, Alola isn’t as sunny, happy and cheerful is it first appears.

I continue forward into the building itself where I find this classic early item.

Which I gave to Lullaby for a chance for a surprise early strike. No one would suspect her.

I defeat the last remaining trainers.

I’m given Work Up, though for now I don’t teach it to any of my pokemon.

And at last I’m ready for the teacher. I don’t have anything that is good against your Magenmite this time, but I’ll open with Baghnakh and take advance of her Fake Out for some early damage and a chance to learn about my enemy.

And I’m surprised to see she changed her strategy a bit. And it’s a real cat fight.

Things start well but pretty soon her Litten gets a burn on my poor cat and I have to withdraw. She seems to be using Ember a whole lot and I don’t have a lot I can do against it as both Calamus and Bident are weak to it. I decide to risk Lullaby hoping Litten doesn’t learn any useful Dark attacks this early on.

I’m relived to found out it doesn’t, or at least it doesn’t use any Dark type move on Lullaby out of the kindness of its heart. However even though it resists its move it manages to get an early burn on me. The battle is quite tight.

But eventually with a Quick Claw surprise attack I finish her Litten and win the battle. Glory to Lullaby!

A fine little prize.

We meet Ilima for the first time, are congealed by everyone for our achievement, and I think it’s safe to say the tutorial part is pretty much over (well, some say the Gen 7 games are all just a long tutorial where the game holds your hand throughout the experience without giving you too many options, but we’ll be the judges of that ourselves pretty soon).

Hau'oli City

At last, we enter the most impressive city of this region. We storm the place looking for freebies and changing our clothing for a needlessly high amount of money (and to something so ugly I’m ashamed to properly show you, so you’ll have to catch glimpses from our avatar’s poor appearance from the screenshots until I’ll find a proper replacement).

The city itself contains wild grass! (Don’t you love it when it happens?). And our encounter for this route is...

Meet adorable little Charm. Unlike some people I know I am a fan of Mr. Mime, especially since it became a Fairy type, and Mime Jr. is sure adorable. I do however already have a Psychic type on my team, so I’m not sure if Charm will stay with us for long or not. For now, I’ll keep her in.

What other catches Ruby could have gotten?

Well a lot it seems. I saw Alolan Meowth which I already have, Wingulls which I learned could be more useful than they seem still I do have Lullaby, Magnemites which could have been nice though I already have Bident, Furfrou which are scary powerful (I still have nightmares from the two you meet in XY), and Abra which are of course extremely hard to catch though are in my top 50 mons for sure. So, yeah, I’d say I got a pretty average option overall. But we’ll see, perhaps I’ll be proven wrong and Charm here will become my favorite pokemon after some future wipeout, who knows.

Sure, why not, I’ll give it to Bident for his Vice Grip.

Do try and remind me of that, I always forget these side quests.

Hmm sadly not in this run it seems, sorry.

Oh snap, what a sassy answer, poor graphic designers :P. Again a new feature that is unique to the Ultra games, stickers. I’m still not sure what I’ll be given for collecting all of them but as a completionist and a an explorer in nature, I really enjoy looking for those sparkling little things in forgotten alleys and people’s bed rooms. Before I’ll rank this feature I guess I’ll have to wait and see what you actually get, but overall a really fun non-mandatory addition to the game.

I later get a chance to visit Ilima’s home, and it is filled with references to his time abroad in Kalos. It reminds me a fan theory I really like which states Ilima was supposed to be a Fairy type trainer originally, which is supported by his apparency (including his gentle looks and gleaming eyes), references to Kalos the home region of Fairies, and odd choice of pokemon (his Smeargle for example is a far better match for Mina, who according to this theory was supposed to be the Normal type trainer instead of him if I remember the theory correctly). Which makes me wonder if we’ll see Mina again in this game, she did play a really small part in Sun, though perhaps she was more important in the post game? (I rarely play that). Well, guess we’ll find out.

Raising a Ghost pokemon as a house pet is a bit of an odd choice... But whatever works best for you guys.

We continue traveling through the city until we meet Team Skull, which rank quite high on my “evil team” ladder, if you can even call them that. We defeat them with ease, Hau shows a bit of character and personal motivation.

And then Ilima comes along, and offers me to fight him as a way to test my strength before the trial. Well at least I have a choice to say no if I want, if I remember correctly in my blind Sun run he just surprised me out of nowhere and forced me to battle him.

As I mentioned before he has a pretty, well, normal team. He sends his Yungoos first .

He gives Baghnakh a fine battle, but she comes up the superior predator. Next he sends his ace, Smeargle.

I send out Calamus but he catches me unprepared as he sends an Ember against my poor Grass Starter, and I get a deja vu feeling that I should have seen that coming. I then send Lullaby once more to put out this fire, and in a very intense battle of healing, yawning, burning and tackling I finally manage to defeat Ilima. Quite a challenge for such an early part of this game, I have a feeling this game is going to keep me on my toes.

I’m give Echoed Voice, which I teach to Baghnakh.

Speaking like a true cult member. This honestly gives me the chills as I’ve seen way too many “The Sinner” episodes on Netflix lately.

I really hope something got lost in translation here, or that’s some cultural reference I’m missing. She's not even an old lady herself, which makes it even more bizarre...

(Sounds like most pokemon routes to me)

Anyway Lillie wishes us luck (Unlike many other characters, when Lillie says stuff like that I actually feel she means it and not just giving me a general "here's the protagonist" greeting). And we’re off to the wilds at last! This seems like the perfect place to end this episode, but I do have a team of 5. Let’s just get one more catch before we end this so we could finish with a full team. Now who will I...

And before I even manage to finish the sentence, or the thought, a wild pokemon jumps on me from some sort of shaded patch of grass. I catch it, and it’s an Ekans. Not bad I guess, though Arbok doesn’t have the best stats out there. But at least it has Intimidate. Still I’m not sure for how long this little guy will stay with us. I didn’t get to see all the pokemon in the grass yet but I already seen a Drowzee and a Makuhita which could have been great pokemon (especially Makuhita, Oh memories of my Ace Quake the Hariyama from my last Sun run, what a mon).

But at last, we finally have a full team of 6. Calamus, Bident, Lullaby and Baghnakh are without a doubt my favorites so far, while Charm and Snare are sort of fillers. But we’ll see what we get next before we can start strategizing about what sort of team we want. If this game is as cruel as they say I have a feeling we couldn’t afford being too picky with our choices anyway.

See you guys next time as we travel into the wild parts of the first island, and possibly head to our very first island challenge!

Calamus the Rowlet lvl 5-13 Male, Bident the Grubbin lvl 4-12 Male, Lullaby the Slowpoke lvl 6-12 Male, Baghnakh the Alolan Meowth lvl 8-12 Female, Charm the Mime Jr. lvl 7 Female, Snare the Ekans lvl 10 Male.

None so far, don’t count on it staying that way for long.

moonfly

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 25, 2020
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Has never heard of a work schedule, so either writes three chapters in a day or one in three weeks. Invite to a DnD game to instantly befriend.
In both of my various Ultra Sun nuzlockes or other runs, Ilima and his team gives me so much trouble. It's nice to see a team defeat him fairly handily.
Team is looking good so far!
Without spoilers, there's some really cool encounters in the routes soon to come.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Awesome banner!! :) And the team is coming along very well so far! I did try to use a Slowpoke in one of my Alola runs, but I will say it's unusual to get Slowpoke this early in the game and since it evolves so late, she fell behind on my team pretty quickly and I ended up boxing her. But Lullaby seems to be doing great so far! I've had great luck with Alolan Meowth so far, so I hope Baghnakh serves you well!

Waweezer

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 22, 2020
Pokémon Type
Ground, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon is known to make weird comics at random, no one really knows why.
One thing, F*ck Illima, me and my homies all hate Illima

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
I think the thing with the old ladies comes from something of a quieter trope that I see pop up every once in a while, expanding the idea of a kind old granny to old ladies in general. As I said it's not super common but I've seen ideas like what it's referring too show up in both Japanese and western works in the past, though the line itself is still weird.

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
Well, pretty good so far. Ilima's Smeargle at least has three moves that giving it advantage to all starters(Water Gun, Ember, and Leafage if I recall).

The Banner is very cool too, kudos for the creator for that one. Try to keep Snare alive, that intimidate is very useful and don't evolve Baghnakh at least until she's learn Pay Day, for your wallet XD. Good luck for your journey!

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
One of the few things I remember from playing Ultra Moon is wiping at the hands of that teacher more times than I’d care to admit to...

Your team’s looking great so far, and I’m glad you didn’t fall foul of Ilima’s cheeky tactics. Keep an eye out for those stickers, they serve a purpose beyond being eye candy.

And I’m glad the banner was well received! Incidentally if any readers fancy a mewstein(tm) banner doing for them, I’ll happily oblige - I seem to have rather a lot of spare time on my hands these days.

Amazon313

Fat Gremlin
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 14, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Ice, Normal
Technician is a great ability however, both in usefulness especially early on, and in design. I’m not sure and the description doesn’t explain, but if I remember correctly it boosts moves of Base Power up to 60 by an impressive sum. +25% perhaps? Or +20? I don’t really remember.
Actually, Technician boost the moves power by a whopping 50%.

Alba Corbina

Johto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Keep Snare on hand. He’ll be good for catching other Pokémon since he learns Glare at a low level and it’s always nice to have a counter to fairy types

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
That new banner looks great! Illima's Smeargle has a lot of coverage that makes it difficult to face for a lot of people, so I'm glad to see your team come out without any deaths.

Uberle

Lur King
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bothers him
I personally think that Ultra SuMo have enough differences to count as different games versus a rehash, but I feel like they only just make that cut
You may have a different conclusion, but I look forward to seeing what you think of the new/different stuff

Trainer school went well and you have a solid team so far
Good luck with the first trial

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)