• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Alola Mature Dazzling Supernova – An Ultra Sun Blind Nuzlocke - Part 12 - The End!

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
Oh no...I already warn you before...Poor Horroar, he could be an amazing Tyranitar if he make it to the end. Also...feel sorry to Bident too, I need to tell you Ultra series is incredibly cruel sometimes.

Forgot to tell you Nihilego in Aether will fled after few turns...and in USUM it has smaller role than in original Sun and Moon. Also Sylveon seems a very good addition! Just don't get him out whenever steel and poison is around.

Good luck for the next trial!

Last edited:

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
In Hau's defense, he's eleven.

Also, Dulse really looks like he needs more sleep.

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
“Senior citizens’ reunion in Heahea city.”

Now this one drove me crazy as I couldn’t find the last missing old folk. Oh well, I guess it wasn’t meant to be.

Did you check underneath the patio?!

To which Ruby responded 'Waaaaah! B-but my right to bear arms!'

Good to see an update so soon after moving into your new flat - and you're allowed to blame the chaos and upheaval for the shocking deaths in this episode!

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Oh no!!! The dreaded Miltank strikes again and kills such a cool teammate. Damn those things are ruthless, and unexpected type coverage certainly doesn’t help matters at all. And ah, Pyukumuku. Such an odd Pokemon, yet so dangerous. Poor Bident; what harsh losses. Good choice in Eeveelution- I love Sylveon and have had a lot of success with them in my adventures! And no shame in your photoshoot lol! Great job against the Ultra Beast and Hau! Very tense moments, but your team pulled through and is persevering despite all these hardships!

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
So much lost potential :crying:
Also wow I thought Malie Hau was dangerous in original SM, but now he has five 'mons? Be still my heart!
I don't know much about that battle except that it's considered one of the toughest in all the games, and a lot of people actually have a clause for it because of how brutal it is. I should really sit down and play the Ultra games tbh...they've been sitting in my 3DS case for like two years :sweatdrop:
Also this might be unpopular, but I don't find Sylveon cute at all-I feel like it's trying too hard and it doesn't work for me. Hopefully he does well for you though.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Alba Corbina - Thanks, yep so far this game has surprised me too many times and hit me when I’m down, and no spoilers but this hardly the end of it. But I’ll do my best to keep my spirit high and press forward! Noted about the levels, I’ll do my best (assuming I won’t be totally caught by surprise by this battle).

@redninjapuffle - Yeah, you and me both... Thanks! Have faith in me and I’ll do my best to earn it.

@Arie Kazami - I had such high hopes for Horroar, but that’s Nuzlocking for you, what can you do. We’ll take the remaining gang, regroup, and carry forward. I’m quite sure Ultra Sun is the hardest vanilla Nuzlocke game I ever played so far. Interesting, does Nihilego also flee in Sun? I can’t remember. Yeah Alvin would hopefully be a great addition to the team, I just need him to learn a proper Fairy move first (Draining Kiss is nice, but 50 BP isn’t enough) and he’ll be quite deadly with that Quiet nature. Thanks again dude!

@Time Master Eon - Very true :P, when you say it like that, I guess his behavior isn’t that unfitting. Poor Dulse, must be the interdimensional jetlag.

@mewstein - Not there, not in the communal garden, not even at the Bingo club! Oh, if only I could always blame real life for my Nuzlocke disasters (well, technically I can, but sadly it won’t bring the fallen back!), but I’ll roll with it.

@Spectacles - Yep, the cow from hell strikes again. The thing about Rollout is it is usually not that deadly, but if you make even one mistake when it is first used, you pay for it in magnitudes, and honestly that’s what happened here as I should have went for a different switch, and then it was too late. Yeah, when I went for Sylveon I immediately thought of you and your stories of how one served you so well in your run. I hope Alvin here will stick with us long enough to be no less of a hero. Thanks! Doing our best, licking out wounds and pressing forward.

@Skarmizard - Indeed, such brave pokemon with such a bright future, taken in the prime of their lives (before they evolved). Yep, I remembered how deadly Hau was last time, but luckily we overcame his buffed version as well. Well, I hope I won’t have to use any clause and will just survive somehow, but worse thing I guess we’ll fall bravely in battle, it won’t be the first Nuzlocke I’ll lose and the threat of actually losing is part of the fun for me. You totally should play it, just be careful, as you saw so far these are brutal games. I get not liking Sylveon that much. I have mixed feelings about its Ribbons for example, but overall, I like its mystic fairy appearance.

Part 11 - Ghost Pain

Malie City

Our protagonist, sitting in the local cafe, pondering about his lost comrades.

Everyone should nurse Joy, everyone should. (I really liked this little scene, nothing really happens, she just talks about how important it is to take a break once in a while, and gives me Poke Beans, but such small seemingly meaningless moments add so much realism to the game. Look Game Freak how easily can buy me with a tiny bit more depth, now go do something about it in your future games).

As this Pokecenter has TMs I obviously buy them all as I can’t really help it. I really want to teach U-Turn to one of my pokemon, but so far none of them would really benefit from it, so I’ll keep my options open for later.

Oh right, good thing you are here. I head to the garden, and while I there I catch a...

Sadly not a pokemon I can really use. I like Ariados, its types, moves and designs, but even in the game it was introduced in it was barely viable. The sort of pokemon only a regional form could save I guess.

What other Catches Ruby could have gotten?

Cottonee
(could actually have been really useful, even though both its types are redundant), Masquerain (Intimidate is one of the best abilities in a Nuzlcoke if you ask me, and you can never have too many mons with it. Still, not the best stats), Psyduck (even though its pretty cool, sadly its also pretty meh when it comes to stats and moves), and Poliwhirl (damn that could have been good, I really need a good Water type for my team, or at least as a back). So overall, that was one of the worse options I could have hoped for, oh well. Let’s save our luck for more important routes.

We meet the professor, who finally acknowledges the fact we just witnessed one of the greatest moments in history with our very own eyes, a first contact with another intelligent society.

And he reacts just like a politician, how the hell is that related to the island challenge professor? Stop promoting your agenda all the time, jeez.

I do wonder if we’ll get more time in “Ultra Space” in this game.

Roger that!

Now before we continue forward I want to make a little rotation switch in my team. I want to add Maui my Totem Alolan Marowak into the team as a source of Ground type moves for the upcoming Electric gym (I’m pretty sure it is the Electric gym that is coming next). For now, I’ll box Baghnakh, though as usual this is just temporary, don’t you worry. If this game taught me anything so far is that team rotation is really useful both in diversity and ability to recover from a loss.

And while I’m at it I’ll also teach Snare my boy Bulldoze as yet another backup.

With all that out of the way we continue exploring Malie city.

(Blinded by the Sun nostalgia, Quake the Hariyama, my hero).

Another mini quest request, added to my notes.

We meet Lillie who talks about Lusamine (still without revealing she is her daughter), and tells me she wants to head to the library. Then, as usual, she gets lost (buying clothes this time...), and we finally find her near the library.

We meet Hapu, and Lillie and Hapu set their first date together, aren’t these two adorable?

We enter the library where we meet a girl form Johto who talks about how they use the move Fly to fly in Johto, and how bizarre our Charizard pagers are (an amusing yet loreful way to break the fourth well), and more importantly gives me the TM Fly which I give to Gabriela the Hawlucha.

As I can’t help myself I go reading around the library any interesting pokemon lore I can find. I discover a weird picture in one of the books and keep it for myself, and one book that really intrigued me:

I’m not sure who is described this little section (though I did like the Claw reference, could they be talking about my former Sun character? Which makes me wonder, are the Ultra games set in an alternate universe to the original games, or do they come before/after them? I guess an alternate one right?).

We meet Acerola who gives us access to her old family tome, called “The Light of Alola”. As one who played through Sun the text seems very clear as it talks about who Solgaleo saved Alola from the Tapus, gave birth to Nebby along with Lunala, and talks about the two flutes who we will require to later summon it. Again, the mention of ancient kings and the time of old really makes me want to see a pokemon game actually set in these days (yeah I know mewstein, I should play pokemon conquest already, you are totally right). Still overall Alola’s lore is so rich (ahem compared to other newer pokemon games for example, ahem), one can only admire the work they did in this game and hope that they will follow this path in future games.

We leave the library and continue exploring town, when we finally find the owners of the Left Poke Ball.

I was sure at first she was talking about Calamus and thought it was really cool and a bit bizarre to find out that my own starter once belonged to someone else, but later I realized she was talking about that poke ball I got. Is it intentional that this thing is a Dartix while I have a Dartix and changes based on your own starter, or just a weird coincidence? I left the scene rather confused, hoping I did the right thing by giving this girl this pokemon.

I then enter one of the weirdest building I ever stepped into in a pokemon game. What seems to be an amusement facility that imitates a “Kantonian Gym”, based on Lt. Surge’s place for some reason. Very meta of you Game Freak, I like it!

Ha, you took one of the most basic gyms out there and decided to go with it? No budget to recreate something a bit more impressive I see like Ramos’s gym, or at least Erika’s if you want to stick to the Kantonian theme?

The trainers didn’t give me much of a fight, and eventually I defeated them all with the help of Capitolina who is starting to find her place in the group now that she has no competition for the best Rock type.

Are you allowed to do that? Does Surge know about that? Is that like a side gig of his to make a little extra cash?

And at last, after scouting the city for anything valuable I can pick up or peel off a wall, I get enough stickers to win me a new Totem pokemon! (I do enjoy this little mechanism).

Nice, a great pokemon, though sadly I already have a Fomantis. Still if things go south that’s a pokemon I’d consider using and the fact it is already in a relevant level doesn’t hurt.

I just love the concept behind this pokemon. A Grass pokemon imitating a bug for self protection, based on a real life bug that imitates a flower to surprise prey. In many ways the pokemon franchise is deteriorating if you ask me, but when it comes to the lore and concept of pokemon they just keep getting better and better every gen (yep, including Gen 8 if you ask me, who has some brilliantly designed pokemon).

And now, finally, it seems I have emptied poor Malie City for everything it has to offer. Before I continue forward, I decide to do a little detour of my own and set on a personal quest. This game has been rough, I need to play wisely and optimally with whatever limited knowledge I have in a blind game and can’t allow myself to just hope for the best all the time. I currently have an Alolan Marowak which is such a great pokemon and I can easily see myself using it for the long run. This means I need to get it a Thick Club for it if I want to get the maximum out of it (assuming it also affects the Alolan Marowak, if not, well that would suck). To do that I need to use Thief on a Cubone (again, I assume from my knowledge on previous games). This can take a while. However, I have a plan...

Meet Nectar, you probably don’t remember him as he was one of my early catches in the game and went straight to the box. Nectar here is a Metapod, which means that when it evolves into Butterfree, it gets the very useful ability: Compound Eyes.

Compound Eyes does two things: A) Increases Accuracy (which is super useful for Butterfree with all its powder moves), and B) increases the chance of a wild pokemon to hold a held item. An obscure fact I learned from watching a random Youtube video I believe. Combine this with Thief + 2-3 hours of attempts to rob Cubones while simultaneously playing Crusader Kings and you get...

A Thick Club! Which if I’m not mistaken either increases the Attack of the pokemon by one level, or perhaps even doubles it? Either way it is one powerful item! (As the Totem Trial taught me!). Not gonna brag, but I’m sort of proud of myself :P. Pokemon games have more in them than meets the eye.

Ok, enough with that, let’s finally leave this beautifully designed replica of Ecruteak city and head out into the wild. Now before we go to route 10 there’s another route north of town where the recycling plant is where we can get an encounter. And our catch is...

Cute, though I doubt I’ll ever use you lass. Normal types are always an oddball to me, and deciding whether you want one on the team or not is extra tricky. No new coverage (except immunity to ghosts), very basic useful STAB, but usually a really diverse movepool. But this is a generalization I guess. You can’t compare a Tauros, a Snorlax, and a Chansey for example.

What other catches Ruby could have gotten?

Magnemite, Alolan Grimer
and Trubish oh my. Wow, all far better options. True, I have my amazing hero Snare with me so I got the Poison type coverage, still Alolan Grimer is such a beast of a pokemon (it’s only weakness is Ground, and it has 4 resistances and an immunity!), and Magnemite is one of the best Electric types out there. Oh well, it wasn’t meant to be.

And already I’m risking Maui fighting very underleveled hoping to grind it a bit in the process, still it surprises me and totally pulls his own weight crushing opponent after opponent. At first I’m a bit disappointed by his move pool. But after a few levels Maui learns the really powerful move Shadow Bone which is a 85 damage 100 accuracy moves physical Ghost move that can lower the target’s Defense, which makes it one powerful Signature (I think?) move. Along with Bonemerang, Will-O-Wisp’ and Flame Charge (which I do hope we could later replace with a better Fire Physical move), buffed by the Thick Club, Maui can pack one powerful punch! I know I’ll have a bit of type redundancy with Calamus once he evolves, but overall I’m really happy with Maui here joining the gang. Should have done it sooner.

(I love it when characters say chutzpah :) , didn’t know there were Jews in the pokemon world. Which makes me wonder about real world religions as I’m pretty sure I saw crosses on tombstones and priests with beads in some of these games, and we are getting off topic as usual. Back to the game!).

As we get to the recycling plant, we take part in a weird father-son lesson, where we crush both of them (the kid carrying an Alolan Grimer and the dad a really powerful Alolan Muk), and by that somehow help the kid show his father he is dedicated and worthy and understands the value of hard work.

A very Japanese moment here.

With the recycling plant out of the way, we return to town and from there, at last head to route 10.

Will do mam! *tips my embarrassing kiddie riding helmet.

As I come close to the wild grass to see what my encounter for this route is, a critter jumps at me from the nearest tree and it’s a...

Oooh! Don’t explode, don’t explode, don’t explode.

Nice! And a fine nature. I’m seriously considering using this gal, a buffy pokemon in a blind run is always a good bet (and Sturdy makes it even better). I’ll save you as a top option my friend!

Didn’t know these inanimate pinecone bagworms are actually fierce predators.

Onward! I meet a trainer next to the wild grass who has an Octillery. I send out Calamus of course to destroy it with its Grass Pledge.

I hit it, get it to about 1/3 health, and then, it uses Aurora Beam...

I... But... Calamus, no!

Now I won’t lie to you (as tempting as it is), the next thing I did after staring blankly into the screen, was to turn off the game. It was a stupid and a bit childish thing to do, an emotional one without a doubt, but that’s what I did. I then set for like 10 minutes thinking about what happened, trying to bargain some kind of deal. Perhaps I’ll restart the game and see if I get a crit, and if not that’s life. Or perhaps I’ll sacrifice another pokemon to make it right and save Calamus, or even sacrifice two random pokemon to make it “fair”. But I knew that if I’ll do any of those things this run won’t mean anything to me and won’t be worthy of my Hall of Fame. I *sighed, opened the 3DS once more, loaded the game (luckily I saved in the beginning of the route). Recaught my Pineco (I didn’t even remember what the nature of the first one was so I did my best to do it blindly and not cheat). Went again and fought this guy, and intentionally let it kill Calamus all over again, suffering and seeing his death once more as a punishment for my silly behavior. Calamus died, I can’t change that. That’s Nuzlockes.

But such as stupid death, not heroic, not epic, a death for nothing. Yeah it’s a blind run, but should I have known it would have Aurora Beam? I mean, I guess I could have been more careful, its kind are notorious for having different beam moves and a Water type with an Ice move is classic. I think my main mistake was to forget I have a pokemon who is important to me and is 4Xweak against a type. If only you were just a few levels higher you would have lost that 4Xweakness. If only you were an evolved Ghost type, you would have survived this shot. But I have lost you my starter, before you could even gain your spectral form, and I’ll have to carry this pain with me as I move forward. I’m sorry my friend, I had great hopes for you, you served me so well, but like in war and in life we don’t get to pick the way and time we go. Farewell my friend.

(A group of heroes).

Revenge!!!

*sigh, ok, we took a blow to the wing (pun not intended. Wait, I don’t think that’s a phrase in any other language other Hebrew? Never mind), but we can recover. Let’s take a look at our team and talk a bit:

The most obvious thing to do now is to add Baghnakh back in from rotation and continue. However, I do want to increase the size of our rotation rather than decrease it after losing such a valuable (and dear) team member. So I decided to add the newly caught Castra the Pineco in. I’ll keep Baghnakh in rotation of course and add her later on. My need for a Water type has now dramatically increased with losing my Grass type so I really need to add either type to the rotation. My main options are Totem Lurantis, Staryu or Dewpider, but I’ll wait with this decision for later on. A Water type won’t serve me well against an Electric gym, and even though Grass could be nice I don’t think it’s that crucial at this point.

Hmm and if we can get a little bit sentimental here losing your starter often feels to me like losing my personal connection with the team (and you know it well as I lost A LOT of starter over my runs). Still I’m glad I have Snare, Gabriela and Baghnakh who have all been with me since the very beginning and served me so well (Gabriela being the MVP without a doubt, Snare being my joker, and Baghnakh just being much better than I expected), as well as Capitolina, and Maui and Castra will surely show their worth soon. We can do it guys, I believe in you.

Ok good talk team, go go go!

I continued up route 10, on the way there I gave Castra and Maui a chance to shine and lead lots of battles. After one of them I tried to feed Castra.

Only to find out the poor things can’t eat! Is it because she doesn’t have a mouth, or just doesn’t like sweets? Not sure.

We reach the end of the road, find all the Stuffuls, and return them to their owner.

And receive a fine amount of money as well as a Muscle Band. We then heal, and head back to the bus stop at the end of the road, where a couple of Team Skull grunts are waiting for the bus.

For some reason they suspect me of trying to “steal their bus sit” so I sadly have to crush them both in battle.

We then meet the professor who is also taking the bus with us.

Dude, the League and Island challenge aren’t the solution to all mankind’s problems... chill out a bit. There are other things in life.

We step on the bus and reach the observatory.

It’s easy being cynical and joking about the dialog in pokemon games (often for a good reason), but I actually really like this moment (and liked it in Pokemon Sun) when Kukui reveals his plan to open the Alolan League to allow the locals to compete with other trainers from different regions while we oversee the ancient mountain of the local gods. Really cool backstory, that goes very well with us being the first Alolan Champion (or trying to be).

Kukui introduces us to his old friend Molayne, who jokes about the professor being the Masked Royal.

Oh he is in the Festival Plaza? Tell him to post in the Gym Improv thread, it’s one of my favorites!

We are given the Steelium Z, and while we wait for Sophocles, I head down the road looking for trainers to battle and pokemon to catch.

And our local encounter is...

Minior! Never got to use one, however, yet another Rock type. Man now I’m sure you can do a Mono Rock run of this game. This really makes me want to try and do a Rock/Water Duolocke of Ultra Moon for my hall of fame, with the theme of the jagged Alolan Shores.

I think there was a dude back in town that wanted to see one of these? I should remember and visit him later. Anyway, for now you go into the box Ramon.

What other pokemon Ruby could have gotten (you obviously ask yourself, not cause it interests you but because I brainwashed you to look for this section after a catch)?

Beldum
(Damn! That would have been amazing, though if I remember correctly I failed to catch one in my Sun run after it killed itself), Elgyem (nice I guess), Fearow (boring), Skarmory (shame, that’s one solid mon), and Ditto (already have one, which is more than enough). Overall an average catch I guess, though again a very redundant typing.

We find Volt Switch which is a great TM, fight a few more trainers and wild pokemon, and then...

Hooray!

And that’s super troubling to know so we’ll totally ignore that!

As the bus back home is waiting for us at the end of the road, I realize I must have missed something. I get back to the observatory and wouldn’t you know, the trial is ready (and was probably ready from the start). Hopefully, we’re also ready: I don’t have any Ground type pokemon but Castra, Maui and Snare all know Ground type moves. Now I’m not sure what pokemon I’ll be facing, I think last time it was a Vikavolt? But if my guesses are correct based on stuff you guys hinted and a few hints from the game itself I think it is going to be a Togedemaru this time. We’ll have to wait and see, this game surprised me more than once before.

The challenge begins with me looking for some lost Charjabugs. It doesn’t take long before I find them all.

I then play a little mini game of rotating the Charjabugs until I get certain patterns, not very complicated yet surprisingly amusing.

After finishing the first one an Elekid appears! It says it is a wild one and we are in a new area so I guess that’s fair game. Let’s catch it! I never got to use this line and I’d really love to.

Oh right, you can’t catch pokemon while you are on trial. Hmm, oh well, that’s a shame.

I continue playing the little mini game defeating next an Electabuzz. The last minigame takes me an embarrassingly long time till I realize I need to set the Charjabugs diagonally.

But at last, they activate the machine, it shoots electricity in all directions, and soon enough it loses control. The Lab’s Togedemaru comes for the rescue, but the current is just too strong for it to handle. And then Totem Togedemaru comes for the rescue!

(It’s so adorable when it’s mad!!!)

And the battle begins!

Totem Togedemaru lvl 33 (buffed Defense) vs Castra the Forretress lvl 32

(I decided to open with Castra hoping to see what this thing has against me and setting up a Reflect, but let’s see how long she can hold on her own).

Totem Togedemaru used Spikey Shield (interesting).

Castra used Reflect.

Totem Togedemaru called an ally, Skarmory lvl 32. Well played, a Flying pokemon immune to my Bulldoze. Very well, if I learned something from this game is that once you knock out the ally sometimes even worse allies can appear. Skarmory isn’t that bad against Castra, let’s target the Totem Togedemaru first and see what happens.

Totem Togedemaru used Zip Zap 79/95 HP (Ha, that didn’t do much! Castra is much bulkier than I thought).

Skarmory used Stealth Rock. Hmm, not ideal.

Castra used Bulldoze on Totem Togedemaru ~5/6 HP, lowered speed. Skarmory is of course immune being a Flying type. Interesting, not a lot of damage but I see no reason why not to keep her in. Let’s continue?

Totem Togedemaru used Spiky Shield, damn.

Skarmory used Torment. Double damn.

Castra used Bulldoze, Totem Togedemaru is protected, no other effects. Wait, isn’t Bulldoze a contact move? No? Well lucky me. Hmm now that damn Torment is limiting me. Let’s try and throw a rock at that metal bird and see what happens.

Totem Togedemaru used Zing Zap 61/95 HP.

Skarmory used Steel Wing, 55/95 HP, Skarmory’s Defense goes up, arg.

Castra used Rock Tomb on Skarmory, ~9/10 HP, Speed down. Yeah, attacking Skarmory seems like a bad plan, let’s stick to the Metallic Pikachu Clone.

Totem Togedemaru used Zing Zap 39/95 HP.

Castra used Bulldoze ~4/7 HP, speed down. Not bad.

Skarmory used Tailwind. Man that thing has lots of buffing moves, well played.

Reflect wore off. Ok I’m not risking a crit, let’s heal.

Used Hyper Potion on Castra, 95/95 HP.

Totem Togedemaru used Spikey Shield. *sticks out tongue.

Skamory used Steel Wing 86/95 HP.

Totem Togedemaru used Zing Zap 62/95 HP, flinch, arg!

Skarmory used Steel Wing 52/95 HP.

Totem Togedemaru used Spikey Shield.

Skarmory used Steel Wing 43/95 HP.

Castra used Reflect.

Tailwind is over.

Totem Togedemaru used Zing Zap 27/95 HP, flinch!

Skarmory used Tailwind.

Used Hyper Potion on Castra (second healing item out of allowed 5). 95/95 HP. This battle is going to take some time.

Skarmory used Steel Wing 89/95 HP.

Totem Togedemaru used Zing Zap 72/95 HP.

Skarmory used Steel Wing 66/95 HP.

Castra used Bulldoze ~2/5 HP, Sitrus Berry kicked in, 3/4 HP for Totem Togedemaru.

Skarmory used Steel Wing 60/95 HP.

Totem Togedemaru used Zing Zap 44/95 HP.

Castra used Rock Tomb on Togedemaru, 3/5 HP, Reflect off.

Totem Togedemaru used Spikey Shield

Casta used Reflect.

Skarmory used Tailwind.

Skarmory used Steel Wing 39/95 HP.

Totem Togedemaru used Zing Zap 23/95 HP.

Castra used Bulldoze 2/5 HP, speed down.

Hyper Potion used on Castra, third heal. 95/95 HP.

Skarmory used Steel wing, 89/95 HP.

Damn Torment slowing me down. Still, I see no reason why to switch Castra while I can hold on and chip away some health every few turns, I still have two more allowed potions, I’m doing some fine damage to that Togedemaru, and Skarmory barely affects me.

Skarmory used Steel Wing 83/95 HP.

Totem Togedemaru used Zing Zap 67/95, flinch, arg!

Tailwind over.

Castra used Payback, barely did damage, my bad, forgot the Tailwind was over.

Skarmory used Tailwind.

Totem Togedemaru used Zing Zap 52/95 HP.

Reflect off. Hmm. Risk and switch a pokemon at last? I really don’t want to. Let’s try to carry on a little more.

Skarmory used Steel Wing, missed.

Castra used Reflect.

Skarmory used Steel Wing, missed.

Totem Togedemaru used Bounce (oh, that’s new!).

Castra used Bulldoze, missed both targets. Arg. And I’m tormented so I can’t use it again.

Skramory used Steel Wing 46/95 HP.

Totem Togedemaru’s Bounce hit, 33/95 HP.

Castra used Payback, ~1/4 HP, nice!

Hyper Potion used on Castra, 4th used, one more allowed!

Skarmory used Tailwind.

Skarmory used Steel Wing 88/95 HP.

Totem Togedemaru used Bounce, should have predicted that...

Bulldoze, missed. My bad.

Reflect off. Enough is enough! I can do without my defense for one turn, Castra, go all out!!!

Skarmory used Steel wing 79/95 HP.

Totem Togedemaru’s Bounce hit 53/95 HP, Castra is paralyzed. Damn!

Castra used Payback, critical hit, Totem Togedemaru is dead!!!

Yeah!!! Man that was long.

Oh, I still have to kill that Skarmory right? *sigh, you guys go skip to the end if you want, I’ll just put the rest of the battle log here.

Skarmory used Steel Wing, miss.

Castra used Reflect.

Tailwind off.

Skarmory used Steel wing 47/95 HP.

Skarmory used Payback, 7/8 HP, ok that would take forever, go Maui finish this! lvl 32 Totem Alolan Marwak.

Stealth Rock digs into its ghostly flesh, 68/90 HP, ouch.

Maui used Flame Charge, ~1/3 HP, speed up.

Skarmory used Torment.

Maui used Shadow Bone, Skarmory dead. Hooray!

Great job Casta and Maui, you make me proud and happy I added you both into our little party.

We are given the Electric Z-Crystal, as well as this very important key item:

And this seems like the perfect place to end this chapter. Here’s the gang:

And see you guys next time, when we’ll hopefully recover, add a new mon to our rotation (I’m always happy for suggestions), and continue on our Island Challenge in this Ultra brutal game.

Active Team: Snare the Arbok lvl 10-33 Male, Capitolina the Lycanroc lvl 13-34 Female, Gabriela the Hawlucha lvl 9-32 Female, Alvin the Sylveon lvl 1-32 Male, Maui the Totem Alolan Marowak lvl 32 Male and Castra the Forretress lvl 32 Female.

Currently in Rotation: Baghnakh the Alolan Persian lvl 8-31 Female. Considering other candidates such as: Totem Lurantis, Staryu, Wishiwashi, and Dewpider.

Lullaby the Slowpoke lvl 6-16 Male, Loamare the Mudbray lvl 14-23 Female, Horroar the Larvitar lvl 22-29 Male, Bident the Charjabug lvl 4-30 Male and Calamus the Dartix lvl 5-32 Male.

Charm the Mime JR. lvl 7. Ope’ape’a the Zubat lvl 6. Nibble the Yungoos lvl 10, Maxilla the Mawile lvl 13, Darwin the Oricorio lvl 12, Yukinko the Smoochum lvl 9, Astray the Drifloom lvl 6-14, Riddle the Totem Gumshoos lvl 20, Poly the Eevee lvl 14, Nectar the Metapod lvl 15, Weeper the Dewpider lvl 17, Gorgonzola the Alolan Rattata lvl 16, Regina the Magikarp lvl 16, Ray the Fletchling lvl 19, Dagon the Finneon lvl 18, Icarus the Wingull lvl 17, ManO’War the Tentacool lvl 18, Brigade the Wishiwashi lvl 14, Roosevelt the Stufful lvl 20, Solomon the Fomantis lvl 20, Maui the Totem Alolan Marowak lvl 25, Officer the Ditto lvl 29, Amor the Luvdisc lvl 11, Decay the Phanump lvl 24, Mana the Nosepass lvl 22, Hugh the Kecleon lvl 18, Ishtar the Staryu level 25, Chelicera the Ariados lvl 25, Lanigera the Minccino lvl 28, Veilanda the Totem Lurantis lvl 30, Ramon the Minior lvl 30

Show a Corsola to a dude in the Route 5 Pokecenter.

Senior citizens’ reunion in Heahea city.

Tell a tale of a brave deed to a young boy near Royal Avenue.

Showing the Aether folks at Route 8 a Goomy.

Check the pokepelgo once in a while.

Show the Aether Foundation worker a Natu in Konikoni City.

Fossil pokemon in Konikoni City on Olivia’s store.

Show a dude in Malie City a Minior – I have one! Just need to go there.

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
CALAMUS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, rip
I jynxed it didn't I :(

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Wowee, that certainly was an eventful update! Commiserations on your loss of Calamus, especially so far into the game. And kudos for not rage-quitting when it happened, it's something I've been guilty of when things go wrong in Renowned Explorers.

I continued up route 10, on the way there I gave Castra and Maui a chance to shine and lead lots of battles. After one of them I tried to feed Castra.
Only to find out the poor things can’t eat! Is it because she doesn’t have a mouth, or just doesn’t like sweets? Not sure.
I'm sure she enjoyed having a good sniff at it. Oh wait, she has no nose either...

I just love the concept behind this pokemon. A Grass pokemon imitating a bug for self protection, based on a real life bug that imitates a flower to surprise prey.
My new pet stick insects agree with this comment.

Nice to read your item-hunting tactics with Nectar, and the Charabug puzzle reminded me of your Royal Game of Ur video!

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
Aaaaah! Not Calamus! He's to young to die...! Please don't make me hate Octillery, I once use one on my playthrough AAAAAAA(Sorry for being dramatic here)

Death aside, so far your party looks pretty solid! Forretress could be an amazing Tank and Trap setter!(providing there's no Fire-type of course). Maui is currently is your strongest boi, with that Thick club and anything. Keep him alive. Also I suggest you could teach him Flame charge to patch up with his dreadful speed, no?

Oh right, the certain destruction in human form guy is next. Careful, he got some different mons on the party. One can smack your Hawlucha into oblivion if you not careful

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Hmm that is odd about the “left Poke Ball” side quest. I never ran into that in my playthroughs so I’m not sure if it’s always your starter. I’ll have to pay more attention to that the next time I play. And I’m pretty sure the Thick Club doubles the attack stat! I used it on my own Alolan Marowak once. Good find! I love Alolan Marowak and was so disappointed when I found out it couldn’t learn Shadow Bone in the Let’s Go games! Oh no, Calamus!!! Unexpected type coverage strikes again. Don’t feel bad; I’ve done that exact thing before where I turn off the game and consider pretending it never happened. That’s what I did when I lost poor Ser Cleos to a grinding accident right before the league. I personally have never heard of the blow to the wing phrase, but it makes sense! Wow, Pineco can’t eat??? I thought all Pokemon could eat, whether they had a mouth or not! I’ve never used one before in any game so this is news to me! But wow was Castra helpful in this battle! Togedemaru can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you aren’t prepared. I had a full team wipe to the thing in my first ill-fated playthrough after I put all my eggs in my Sandygast basket.

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
Calamus noooooo :crying:
I don't blame you for ragequitting after that, but props for sticking with it.
Forretress is a 'mon I don't think I've ever seen anyone use-honestly sometimes I forget it exists. Hopefully she serves you well.
Glad to see another Totem down! (*notes that it changed in this game*)
Although wow that fight looked annoying :psyduck:
Hopefully the game lets up for a while :fingerscrossed:

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
First of all I just wanted to share with you guys that Dazzling Supernova won the 1st place award for best commentary in the extravaganza (tied to another worthy run), and thank you all for you wonderful support! I started doing these blind runs for the challenge and to relive the initial Nuzlocke experience, but I admit the main reason I keep posting them here and sharing them with you guys is how fun it is to go through the pokemon Nuzlocke game experience as a team, sharing with you guys my thoughts, hearing your own stories, and just putting an emphasis and enjoying the gameplay side of the Nuzlocke experience. It has gotten to the point that whenever a new pokemon game is released the thing I’m waiting for most is just blinding it and posting it as I play, seeing whether I’ll even make it until the end and sharing with other Nuzlockers my initial thoughts about the game. Hopefully that’s what I did in this run so far, even if this game was released more than 3 years ago, I did my best to keep this experience as fresh and new as I could. So once more I just wanted to say - thank you, and you guys rock!

And, ahem, for a little bit of irony? Or perhaps just the cruelty of life and Nuzlockes? I have some more news for you... I lost.

Yep, you read that right, and sorry for it being so anticlimactic. I did quite a few blind runs on the forums so far, and those of you that followed them know that I have both won and lost runs before (no spoilers here in case any of you want to read those run, they are all in my signature). In a moment I’ll share with you exactly what happened (technically I blacked out and lost my entire team, so I can use the survivors and try again, but it just doesn’t feel right in this case, and anyway most Nuzlockers count that as a lose). I hope I’m not disappointing you guys too much, I’m really sorry if you got invested in this run and find this end not satisfying :(. That’s the risk of playing a blind Nuzlockes that you post as you play, you can’t plan ahead the narrative, and even though the urge to cheat was massive, I of course wanted to share the true experience with you guys. Also, I have to say, losing isn’t that bad, really. In fact, for me personally, it is an important part of Nuzlocking. Let’s face it, pokemon are easy games, and even Nuzlocking them after you did so dozens of times before can start to become easy, that’s why we add all those extra rules often (Set, limited items, playing blind, or even wacky overall rule variants like the lorelocke and naturelocke e.g.). When I lose, it proves to me that the challenge is there, there is something to overcome, and even though it sucks (hard), it makes the next victory much sweeter. So now for a short explanation of what happened, and while at it we can analyze my mistakes as this is what this run aims to do among other things, and then some final words and thank yous as I always do:

That was my team when the last update ended, solid, still recovering from our previous lost (which was actually one of the reasons I lost), all good boys and girls. The first thing I wanted to do was rotate a bit as always. Now rotations served me very well, don’t get me wrong. It showed me that my love to a team of constant 6 can often limit me to the point of losing. However, rotation shouldn’t be something to strive to at any cost. And that’s what I did next. I decided I wanted to get Baghnakh back on the team as I missed her (which was a mistake, her coverage wasn’t essential at that moment with Maui my Alolan Marowak), I boxed Capitolina my Lycanroc (another great mistake as that Rock type coverage was essential to my team, and as you’ll see the final battle it is hard to decide whether she could have saved me or not). I also boxed Alvin the Sylveon (another big mistake, for a reason I didn’t understand at the time, and we’ll talk about soon), and added in Vielana the Lurantis (not sure if a mistake or not, should I have picked another pokemon? Perhaps a Water type? Maybe, but that’s just hindsight, for the knowledge I had back then I think that was an ok call after losing Calamus).

And with that team I headed back to town, not worrying about anything, not expecting anything bad to happen, and sadly not remembering at all from my Sun run what was about to come next (but you can’t really blame me for that, that was the point of blinding this game).

I wonder if any of you guessed it by this point, but this dude (which I love btw), was the end of my run. With two pokemon, he managed to kill my entire team of 6. This is what happened:

Golisopod lvl 34 vs Snare Arbok lvl 33 (that’s the moment I started recalling how badass his pokemon are and realized I was in trouble).

Intimidate kicks in.

Snare used Glare, paralyzed.

Golisopod used Razor Shell 42/90, holy hell!

Return, Go Gabriela the Hawlucha lvl 33

Razor Shell 59/99. *sigh, I’ll heal once and hope for a miss/paralyze, and if it will fail, I’ll strike.

1st healing item, Soda pop, 99/99. Paralyzed, lost a turn. Nice.

Hawlucha used Flying Press, 3/4, what?! (Checked in retrospect, 140 defense! Had no idea it was so bulky).

Golisopod used Razor shell, 56/99, Defense down. Ok, that’s very bad.

Return, go Castra he Forretress lvl 32. (A mistake, should have stayed in and risked it, after one more hit I could have been very close to finishing it off with a Z move).

Golisopod used Razor shell, 67/95. Defense down. Damn! Ok, I’ll set a Reflect and hope it doesn’t crit.

Castra used Reflect, defense up.

Paralyzed, can’t move, good.

Castra used Rock Tomb, ~1/2 HP, speed down.

Golisopod used Razor Shell, 45/95, defense down. Oh wow, what are the odds of this thing getting a def down? (In retrospect- 50%, didn’t know that). I’m risking it and healing Snare for the late intimidate.

Soda Pop on Snare, 90/90. 2nd healing item.

Paralyzed, can’t move, nice.

Castra used Rock Tomb,~1/4 HP, speed down, Emergency Exit, oh right! (I forgot about this ability, not sure if it was one of the reasons for my demise, but if I would have remembered I would have probably played a bit differently. Part of playing blind I guess).

Masquerain out, lvl 34 (I’m under leveled damn it), intimidate kicks in.

Castra return, go Snare, Intimidate kicks in (didn’t remember it was a Special Attacker as I had memories of it from Gen 3, the downsides of playing blind, can’t check these things as I play).

Masquerain used Air Slash, 33/90 HP, and Reflect off. Ok, I’m in big trouble.

Go Baghnakh!

Air Slash, 21/94 HP.

Baghnakh used Fake Out, ~7/8, HP. Bad bad bad. I’m in a huge problem, and can’t see what will help me here. I think the best move is to sacrifice someone so I could heal Snare, but if I’ll switch to Vielanda for example she’ll probably just die from Air Slash right away. Though she does have extremely high Special Defense...

Let’s risk it and switch to her first.

Vielanda the Lurantis lvl 31.

Bugg Buzz, damn I’m so stupid, could have baited that and switch to Castra! arg! Vielanda is dead.

Let’s go with Casta. 45/95 HP.

Third healing item - Soda Pop 95/95 HP.

Air Slash, 14/95. *face palm.

Go Maui, please miss already...

Air Slash, 35/92 HP.

Air Slash, Maui dead.

Snare dead.

Gabriela dead.

Castra dead.

Baghnakh dead.

All wounded when they were switched in, all too slow, all die to Air Slash or Bug Buzz.

Lost the game.

So let’s sum up some of the major mistakes:

1) My current team had very meh Special Defense. Coverage is important, but not everything. Perhaps if Alvin my Sylveon was still in I had a change to take a few blows and strike back.

2) Rotation is important, but not at all cost. Make sure your current team can still take a hit from different enemies.

3) Playing too safe can be deadly - In Nuzlockes we do everything we can to keep our pokemon alive, sometimes, that’s a bad idea. I should have allowed myself to lose a few pokemon and build momentum but switched too much to try and save them all.

4) Coverage is more complex than it seems. I have a tendency to give coverage too much importance in my runs. I do my best not to have two pokemon that share a type, let alone three pokemon. But that’s the wrong way to look at it. We are no longer playing in the early gen games, current pokemon often have very varied type combos. A Water Ground pokemon and a Water Flying pokemon like Gastrodon and Gyarados for example may seem to cover similar needs, especially offensively, but defensively this is very wrong. One should always try and simulate fighting different type pokemon and seeing whether his current pokemon, not just their theoretical types, can deal with them.

5) Play slowly and take your time, don’t panic. I think this battle could have been saved (though I’m not sure), if I would have stopped to think the minute Masquerain came in. I zig-zagged too much, switched pokemon in and out, changes strategies, instead of planning ahead willing to lose a mon or two.

6) Playing blind is hard. I’ll allow myself to put some of the blame on that if you don’t mind. Playing blind can be very tricky. Not only you have no idea who you’ll face (My team could have been very different if I had known these would be the two pokemon I’d face, and if Calamus would have still been alive and wouldn’t have died to an Ice Attack I didn’t expect, I would have probably won this battle), you can’t check things like stats and move pools, let alone the exact move pool of your current enemy, their levels, their items, when you’ll fight them, etc. I was also a bit under leveled as I didn’t expect a fight so soon. C'est la vie, that’s part of the appeal of playing blind, for me at least.

Hope I could learn from these mistakes for my future runs, and perhaps you could as well.

Lullaby the Slowpoke lvl 6-16 Male, Loamare the Mudbray lvl 14-23 Female, Horroar the Larvitar lvl 22-29 Male, Bident the Charjabug lvl 4-30 Male, Calamus the Dartix lvl 5-32 Male, Gabriela the Hawlucha lvl 33 Female, Castra the Forretress lvl 32 Female, Snare the Arbok lvl 33 Male, Maui the Alolan Marowak lvl 32 Male, Baghnakh the Alolan Persian lvl 33 Female and Vielanda the Lurantis lvl 31 Female.

Final words. I want to thank all of you who followed this run and hopefully enjoyed: @mewstein , @Spectacles , @Arie Kazami , @redninjapuffle , @Skarmizard , @Time Master Eon , @SimplyUnknown , @pikasphere , @Alba Corbina , @localhoney , @SaintsGarden , @MarkedInStone , @Arbitrary , @Uberle , @khorale , @moonfly , @Waweezer and @Amazon313 , and all the silent watchers, you guys are the best! Your support means the world to me.

I usually end such a run talking about future projects. I currently have my run Kantonian Fables story run which is on hiatus as my life is too busy to give it the proper attention and care it deserves, and will probably stay in hiatus for a while. When it comes to blind runs the only main game I can still technically play blind (expect for rom hacks which could be fun to try) is pokemon Platinum. A bit like the Ultra games I have played Diamond and Pearl a few years ago so it won’t be totally blind but honestly don’t remember them that well and never played Platinum which I still need to complete for my Hall of Fame (check my signature if you want to know what I’m talking about). Will I blind it? Not sure. Will I post it if I blind it? Also, not sure. I’d love to hear your thoughts if you have any, what sort of run would you guys be interested in seeing me do? It doesn’t even have to be blind, would love to hear your thoughts. I’m sure that once a new game will be released (probably Gen 4 remakes) I’ll blind it and post it, so stay tuned for that! I also plan on playing more lorelockes to test my ruleset, but again not sure if I’ll post it here or not.

Speaking of unposted runs you can be damn sure that I’ll soon start another Ultra Sun run, still not sure with which rules, and try to finally defeat this game and get my revenge for my fallen comrades. I have to say I think that’s the hardest pokemon game I played so far, perhaps Black/White 2 are tied with it, which is a wonderful thing. I do hope gen 9 will be more like Gen 7 than Gen 8 in that aspect, in my personal opinion. And just overall, I really enjoyed this game.

And that’s it! Had blast, would love to hear your thoughts if you have any, and see you guys later!

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
Well, that sucks, you didn't even reach what would be the ultimate boss in the series, but there is always round 2 I suppose, good luck

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Oh no!!! I can't believe it! What a hard loss. I remember this battle giving me a really hard time in my first playthrough too, and I wasn't playing blind! I lost teammates to that blasted Masquerian, notably my Metang. I'm just so used to them being a joke Pokemon in the older gens. Apparently they were one of the Pokemon who got a stat buff on top of benefitting greatly from the physical/special split. Well, in a way you got further than me on my first playthrough, since I had a full team wipe at Totem Togedemaru. I did end up continuing, but failed at That One Battle. I can't wait to hear about how you take on Ultra Alola again and show it who's boss this time!

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
*Pops up from a certain nameless Grand Strategy Game Set In The Middle Ages Created By Paradox Development that you got me hooked on*

Wow, that made for painful reading learning of how everything collapsed for you in one battle. But as you say, beneath the game's cartoony exterior lurks some real challenges. Personally I quite enjoy having a team which is heavy on one or two types, but that might just because I generally prefer the natural feel of grass/ground/water types over fire/fairy/electric.

As I said in my email on the fateful day you lost this 'locke, I'd really like to see a randomised Hoenn lorelocke where you can showcase the Gen III rules and share your knowledge on the myths and legends behind them - that's one of the things which I enjoyed the most about Kantonian Fables. Whatever you choose, I'll step up for banner-creation duty when you're ready :)

Alba Corbina

Johto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
I know I'm late, but I'm so sorry your run ended like this! USUM can be brutal even when you do know what's coming. I hope your next run, whatever it is, goes much better.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Thank you all so much for your support! I really appreciate it. As I wrote before I plan on playing the next official games blind right after they'll be released which isn't supposed to be that far away from now so stayed tuned!

Also, I admit I had a thought of doing another posted attempt of Ultra Sun as sort of a sequel as I hate giving up after losing, or even perhaps writing it in this thread, even if I'll just do it as a written log. However I'm not sure it would be interesting enough to follow a "take 2 of a semi-even less blind than before Ultra Sun run", so I think I'll probably pass. I still plan on playing my semi-blind attempt unposted though as part of my hall of fame (gotta Nuzlocke em' all!), so if anyone will be interested (Assuming I'll actually win this time) I'll probably post my hall of fame and graveyard when I'm done.

I also had a thought for another posted project I'm considering, but I'm still not sure if I'll do this one as well. Too many Nuzlockes I want to do, too little time!

So as I said before, thanks again! And see you on my future runs!

pikasphere

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 30, 2019
Nooooo, I just came back and got the sad news of this run. Well, that's a blind nuzlocke for ya. Don't feel bad, this is the hardest vanilla game for a reason!

Actually, if you are curious, major trainers in this game tend to have well distributed EVs and near perfect IVs. MAJOR SPOILERS that might be fun to read after you finish the game: here is the data of every trainer's pokemon and what EVs they have. Again, this is for every trainer, so don't look if you don't want to accidentally look ahead. Guzma's Masquerain? It has 252 special attack and 252 speed EVs, so with 100 base special attack and 80 speed, it hits very hard and quite fast with those investments.

Anyway, I do hope you'll finish this game someday. It's still full of surprises and differences from SM, especially in the last quarter of the game, and that cements it as a worthy "third version" of SM in my book (despite being 2 games... I still dislike this decision from Gamefreak). I understand if you don't want to post another log, but I'd be interested to see your thoughts on at least the biggest changes in this game, especially that battle which you've been speculating on.

Finally, I think a Platinum run would be neat! Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl might be based off DP instead of Platinum, so it's possible they'll be sufficiently different enough.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
@pikasphere thanks for your support! It is much appreciated. As you said, that's blind runs, you always have the risk of losing to an unexpected threat, and that's the fun of it! Wow, those are some crazy stats... This game is without a doubt the hardest vanilla one I ever played.

I'm actually currently doing my revenge run - an unposted Semi-Blind (I have played through half the game as you saw + finished Sun, but I don't remember/know everything, can't check stuff out, and have no idea what comes next after the part in which I lost) of Ultra Sun. And because I hate myself and think the game was "just too easy" right after losing it, I added an extra harsh rule - I can only use gen 7 pokemon, so I catch pokemon as usual, but can only use the Alolan ones. I had pretty bad luck with that so far and therefore even though I caught more than 15 pokemon I only have a team of 4 currently - Nevermore the Torracat, Bayonette the Chargabug, Falconet the Trumbeak and Lamia the Totem Gumshoos. I currently arrived at Paniola Town, hope things will go well this time around. Wish me luck! And if by any miracle I'll actually win this run I'd be happy to post and share my general thoughts about the game and my final team and graveyard as I always do.

(Edit: Oh and I had an awesome Cutiefly called Faebee that died to that damn Espeon in Heahea city as I was sure I'll outspeed it for some reason).

I'm tempted to do a platinum blind run, however for that exact reason that SDBP might be heavily based on it I think I won't play any Sinnoh game until they'll be released, so my posted run of them will be as blind as I can (being not playing DP for many years and not really remembering much more than that).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)