• Episode Three of The Writer's Locke is now live! We bid a find farewell to Healing Wish and Tightrope this episode. Also, we'll be chatting about disability and neurodivergence in character writing, and speaking to a debut author!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Serious Coronavirus Public Discussion

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost tries to be studious and businesslike, but will squee or keysmash easily. They would love to cuddle every adorable cat in the world.
Our country's PM Boris Johnson is imposing a third lockdown on us, while not mentioning universities *at all* in his speech for doing so (thanks mate, we've had to go running around the government website for what to do) but also banning travel except for essentials and saying we're only allowed to leave our home (and mine is difficult to study/be in) once per day for exercise, so any chance of going away from my home for university is out. Meanwhile Cambridge uni will of course expect the same level of intense work from us like last term, even while some of us (like me) are not in great studying conditions, and they haven't given me any rent refund for the last term yet when they kicked students out of accommodation early. It's also horrible to hear day by day of all the death tolls and how we have a new strain of COVID-19 which has meant the death toll is way up despite the sacrifices and the lockdown last year. I've been checking if my friends are okay and sending them cat photos but there's not a lot I or anyone else can do.

Nothing I can do but keep going, but this whole thing feels awful and this is going to be yet another difficult few months for me... a difficult few months for everyone, at minimum. I know that this lockdown is necessary to save lives and will of course be following all rules, and I just hope this vaccine comes in as quickly as possible to help people

Edit: @Skarmizard I'm so so sorry to hear about your sister and I hope she makes a speedy recovery 💜

Edit again: Cambridge are saying they might - might - still let people back into uni under exceptional circumstances (which I fall into they know a lot about what's been going on for me) so even though my hopes aren't high there might be some small hope for me, fingers crossed they let me in and I don't get fined/stopped by police for trying to travel to uni...

Last edited:

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Rock
Pokédex Entry
A bizarre Pokémon who dislikes many social activities. She appears to have a penchant for peanut butter and learning foreign languages.
People are literally dropping like flies where I am and doing anything at all could result in contracting COVID, and yet school continues to pile on the projects and notes and other assignments. I'm losing my mind and stressed beyond belief at this point. Am I just hallucinating a once-in-a-lifetime historical event?
Thankfully to my knowledge, nobody I know nearby has gotten it nor their families, but my whole family is at high-risk—save possibly me—and that doesn't do a good job of waning my worries.

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
@sky_ It's been almost two weeks and my sister is doing better-she never really got sick to the point of having to go to a hospital, and no one else in the family has gotten sick at all. I don't think she's 100% yet, but she's getting there. Thank you for the well wishes 💜

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
So, bit of a fun morning here for me. My step-brother got tested recently and came back positive. (Of course, it would be my step-brother.) My sister is also quite sick, but as far as I know she's not been tested. Since I was in close contact with them about a week ago, and only found out the above this morning, I've basically spent the last two and a half hours running around, communicating with my employer, and then going off to get the rapid test done so I can return to work. My results came back negative, which I expected since I'm feeling fine and also had that first dose of the vaccine. But still made for a chaotic morning and still gotta wait for the a-okay from my employer before I can go to work (and not sure if I'll be going in to do the second half of my shift today or just going in tomorrow.)

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Our country's PM Boris Johnson is imposing a third lockdown on us, while not mentioning universities *at all* in his speech for doing so (thanks mate, we've had to go running around the government website for what to do)
Sounds about right, the ol' boy Boris repeats the same thing 3 times in a row and contradicts himself ("go to work if you have to, but don't go to work") but won't explain things for certain industries (or unis apparently) and opens the schools for a single day before closing them again.

I'm not working from home, I'm actually going in. I'm glad I am since at my job business is really good and honestly I'm glad to get out the house and see people, even if socially distanced and not the people I'm closest to. Otherwise I'd go fucking nuts because I moved house last year and now live alone after living at home for far too long. It's kind of ironic things are going fairly well in my life since we've got a disaster of a pandemic.

I'm also tired of Zoom calls whenever I talk to my mates, it's shit. It's not the same and we're all so boring now because nobody is actually doing anything except hunkering down and working and isolating themselves, then conversations are just like "oh look what I'm drinking" and crap like that, plus there's a lot of holier than thou stuff with the social distancing and following the rules.

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!!! But don´t forget to wear one
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
My country just declared we're going through a second Wave of Covid Spread, and I´m not sure how's gonna affect us in general.
But on the bright side, a vaccine could arrive on Perú; but given our current health care system, and our goverment, one can never be so sure.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
My parents, my wife's parents, and my grandmother finally got the first shot of the Pfizer vaccine which is great, luckily they are vaccinating everyone above age 55 in my country (Israel) which is wonderful news. I hope more vaccines will come in time for us younger folks, but I'm really happy that those that need it the most are finally get them. Thank modern science! And I just hope the vaccination's effect will last for long and stay relevant for all the new variants/mutants that are evolving.

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
My dad's wife (my stepmother?) tested positive about two weeks ago. She's doing better now and never really got sick, and my dad thankfully tested negative twice. And my mom's registered to get the vaccine ASAP since she has a preexisting condition (and turns 60 next month). She was able to register me too, but since I'm half her age and healthy I have to wait...

Not to get political, but hopefully the new administration will actually do something to stop this, since the last administration didn't seem too worried.

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
One of my coworker's has a son who just tested positive for Covid. She hasn't tested positive yet, but she does live with him and our desks are separated by a half-wall. So I just finished setting up an appointment to get tested just for peace of mind. I'm pretty sure I don't have it, but better safe than sorry.

greenbeanbottle

My nuzlockes are beyond human understanding
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 1, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
He / Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Clever
As a teacher I'm really glad that we're fully virtual, even for how inconvenient it is I keep hearing about my students getting COVID so it's good that I'm keeping my distance. My gf is also getting the second dose of the Moderna vaccine soon as she is a health care worker (working in dentistry) so that is also a huge load off of my mind. She only reported more soreness than from a usual vaccination as her only side effect so that's also good to hear.

I went home for the holidays a few weeks back; I'm from California so naturally cases are pretty high but utmost precautions were taken and I self-quarantined for a while until my tests came back. Turns out there's a restaurant in my town that decided not to follow the "no in-person dining" rule. More infuriating is that it was more popular than I had ever seen the place, and the news was talking about how anti-maskers from other counties were going to this place in "protest". So yeah, pretty dumb. That being said it's their loss...their $15 burgers are mediocre at best anyway, lol.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
So I got the second dose of Moderna yesterday. The pharmacist who administered it has gotten so good at giving the shot that he can do it without even making the recipient bleed. Which, considering I didn't bleed, I can attest to. He also mentioned some people react better or worse to the second dose. And, wouldn't you know it, but I'm one of the lucky ones who got a much worse reaction! First dose just made my arm sore. This one though? Yesterday evening, around ~6 hours after the dose, I came down with fever, chills, headache, and fatigue. All I'm missing is nausea and vomiting to have the full collection. Really annoying since I had a test scheduled tomorrow and now I gotta reschedule, which nails me $50 in fees. >.>

I am feeling better right now than yesterday, but the fatigue is definitely the worst part. Everything else is really mild for me and a bit of naproxen helps with most of the symptoms. Hopefully this reaction passes quickly.

Zorua3

On-and-off Nuzlocker
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark
Pokédex Entry
I'd copy-paste the Zorua Pokedex entry, but I'm too lazy.
Got news of grandparents catching COVID a week ago, which was stressful. Fortunately, neither of them seemed to take much damage and bounced back quickly. Unfortunately, they have no idea when they caught it or from where. I'm in the clear as I moved away from their area a couple months ago, but my extended family is scrambling and I'm just sitting back wide-eyed (fortunately, no one else is in major danger due to good age and health, but it's quite a hassle for them).

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
It's really frustrating to go somewhere like the grocery store and see maybe half the people in there wearing masks. I wear one any time I go, but seeing others not doing so annoys the fuck out of me because it would improve things at least somewhat.

Also, someone in my other sister's house (not sure who) tested positive the other day. I don't know who, but there are five children, so I'm worried.

LHarm

Professional Shitposter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 29, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, ???
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is too lazy to put a good Pokédex entry.
I personally live in Arkansas. Arkansas is a very conservative state and you see a lot of people refusing to wear masks. I live in Fayetteville, which almost everyone wears one, is way better (was one of the top three places to live in the United States one year) than other parts like Harrison two counties west, which is the most racist place in the United States. I sometimes wish I wasn’t in a place that’s so backwoods, but that’s also kind of the beauty of the landscape.

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
My mom got her first dose of the vaccine today! So far she hasn’t had any side effects from it, and she gets the second dose next month.
I'm really happy about that, even though it doesn't mean she's completely in the clear yet. Admittedly I'm also a little jealous I can't get one yet...

DuchessTaco

Certified Ophthalmic Assistant
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 24, 2020
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ghost
I got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine about two weeks ago. It basically made me exhausted for a full day afterwards and left me with a sore arm for about a day and a half, but otherwise it went well! I'm due for round 2 in about two weeks.

Still annoyed that we didn't get anything arranged even though I'm in group 1A until a good two months after distribution started, but we can't roll back time.

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
My state's governor just announced he's repealing the mask mandate and allowing businesses to fully reopen starting next week. I don't understand why-yes, things are better than they were a few months ago, and now there are three vaccines, but it's way too early to be fully reopening.
I'm dreading the next couple months...

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
Are we in the same state? I was coming here to say something like that myself. Although, in my case, the store I work at is making all employees continue to wear masks regardless. Willing to bet most corporate owned businesses will do the same.

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Maybe, I'm in Texas.

My job is continuing to require masks as well, and I'm still gonna wear one wherever I go regardless.

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
So it's been a year since coronavirus was officially deemed a pandemic. It feels weird to look back at a Facebook status from last year when the only hint of things getting serious was the beginning of panic buying...and to think that it's only been a year since things went to hell.
It's been one long, hard year, and now it's dragging into a second...

Some good news: my state's now allowing anyone 50 or older to get vaccinated, which means my dad can get one now (he's 60, but is healthy). And supposedly the government feels like there'll be enough vaccines for the whole country within the next three months (although obviously not everyone will be vaccinated by then). Hopefully by the end of the year we'll have some semblance of normalcy back?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)