• NOTICE: Potential Site Downtime on December 7, 2020.

This is a preliminary notice that you may experience some downtime on December 7, 2020, due to some backend adjustments.

If you attempt to access the Nuzlocke Forums on or around this date, and receive any sort of failure to connect notice, please alert the Nuzlocke Forums Tech Team on Discord (@Tech Team role).

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

Comic Kanto Teen Mon [COMPLETED] Shiro's Trial: a Nuzlocke Adventure in Kanto

Thread Description
final update - July 19, 2020

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost studies constantly and wishes that they had more energy for creative projects. They would love to cuddle every adorable cat in the world.
Oh wow this updated quick! And Heracross is a bean, I love XD and this childish interpretation of Mewtwo is epic haha

ShiroInu

Unreliable Artist
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the interaction with Mew and Mewtwo here, I always thought it was interesting how Mewtwo was portrayed in the anime and often forget that they're likely a very young Pokemon in terms of their development considering they were grown in a lab and mostly isolated from others (unless you count that Mewtwo stuff with Ambertwo and the failed starter clones) I'm hoping that he can just approach Shiro directly without feeling the need to continue to speak through proxies and the like, very curious what it is they need help with.
Mewtwo has always been my favourite pokemon. As an unpopular kid in high school, I could relate to the misfit who couldn't find his place. In my canon, Mewtwo is only a year or so old - Mew found him after he escaped the lab and took after him. Unfortunately, the only things he knows about humans are what he observed while in the lab and the abuse he suffered from them. This sort of ruined his perception of them. He also doesn't like to show himself to people because he was constantly called "monster" or "abomination", so he uses proxies (I was inspired by Mewtwo in The First Movie using Nurse Joy as a proxy).

Nice to see a Heracross on your team! I don't see this amazing bug on a lot of teams!
It's just a shame it's postgame. I would have liked to have him sooner.

Also, now that I've had some practice, he's really fun to draw.

Oh wow this updated quick! And Heracross is a bean, I love XD and this childish interpretation of Mewtwo is epic haha
I'm done procrastinating - this comic has been going for 10 years and it's about time I finished it.

This page took a bit longer than I wanted, but it was worth it.
Update Time!!
c-c-combo breaker!

(Yes I realize I have 7 pokemon at the beginning - November the Lapras is just there for surfing.)
It's somewhat poetic that Pebble is killed by a Kadabra, considering that she and Alphonse were close. Pebble is also the final death of this run. I think I did pretty well.

Shiro finally agrees to help Mewtwo . . . but she's got her own plan.

3 more pages to go.

Picket Furret

Antisocial Lurker
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Normal
Wow, that's depressing, first Kate now Pebble

Postgame don't fuck around

Riboo

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
Oh my shit, noooo, ugh, I feel so bad for Pebble here! She just wanted to bad to see her bestie again and then THIS happens. Kind of a surprise gut punch there, but at the same time, I know how hard it is to keep a Pokemon when they aren't fully evolved, especially late game when there's kind of this expectancy that you would have evolved them by then by link trade and all that. (Though I kind of wish nintendo came up with an alternate way to do that now, especially now that you can update games via the internet. Like with DPP, when they stopped supporting the online services for it, they should have had an update to allow a different self contained method to evolve trade only Pokemon)

As for the proxy thing, I had completely forgotten that Mewtwo did that in the first movie and just how powerful they were in how they could mind control someone or just zap their memories of events away. I think that's an interesting use of that detail and its good that Mewtwo is finally asking nicely XD though in a robotic sort of Spock from Star Trek way. I really love the almost 'its only logical' way of portraying Mewtwo here.

ShiroInu

Unreliable Artist
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Wow, that's depressing, first Kate now Pebble

Postgame don't fuck around
Yeah, it was hard losing half my team so close together. And it was my fault too - I had 20+ levels on all the trainers in the sevii islands, so it should have been easy. I just got overconfident and it cost me.

Oh my shit, noooo, ugh, I feel so bad for Pebble here! She just wanted to bad to see her bestie again and then THIS happens. Kind of a surprise gut punch there, but at the same time, I know how hard it is to keep a Pokemon when they aren't fully evolved, especially late game when there's kind of this expectancy that you would have evolved them by then by link trade and all that. (Though I kind of wish nintendo came up with an alternate way to do that now, especially now that you can update games via the internet. Like with DPP, when they stopped supporting the online services for it, they should have had an update to allow a different self contained method to evolve trade only Pokemon)
Ironically, after I finished this run I actually bought a second GBA SP and a link cable. I'm never dealing with that problem again.

Update Time!!
This update took longer than expected, and it's a big one. The finished file was 1.23 GB before I resized it. I may have gotten carried away.

Hoo boy. When Pamela took that Explosion I thought for sure she was a goner.

Not only did she live, but she tanked it. Didn't even knock her below yellow.

Pamela is a beast.

I had a lot of fun working on this page, and I'm really happy with how it turned out - particularly Ariana, who has a fantastically bitchy face. My favourite panel is the one where she's looking down at Shiro and calls her a troublemaker.

ALSO I've been waiting nearly a decade to make a joke about using a Remoraid as a gun. It still makes me laugh.

2 pages left. Since it's the finale and the epilogue, I'm going to take my time on this.

Nessi

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 5, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ghost
"What do you have there?"
"A Remoraid!"
"NO!"

Velink

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 27, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
AH! Squidward evolved, I will miss the living water Gun!
I will never get the image of it molesting the poor machoke out of my mind tho

Riboo

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
Dude, I'm living for this page, I love how just INTENSE Shiro got when it comes to taking care of business and taking out the trash! She's just a girl with 0 shits given at this point and taking charge with her champion authority, I love it, cause TBH, you rarely see comics where someone becomes champion and really uses their authority to do anything and HERE SHE IS BEING A BOSS. I love her. I love big ol' Pam, fuckin' some near heart attack moments here, quit doin' to this to me TT ATT

Picket Furret

Antisocial Lurker
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Normal
"Yes, we can totally defeat the CHAMPION OF KANTO who by every definition of the word is stronger than all of us, there is no way this will backfire"

Rockets have too much optimism sometimes

ShiroInu

Unreliable Artist
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Dude, I'm living for this page, I love how just INTENSE Shiro got when it comes to taking care of business and taking out the trash! She's just a girl with 0 shits given at this point and taking charge with her champion authority, I love it, cause TBH, you rarely see comics where someone becomes champion and really uses their authority to do anything and HERE SHE IS BEING A BOSS. I love her. I love big ol' Pam, fuckin' some near heart attack moments here, quit doin' to this to me
I kinda wish the games did more with you once you were champion, or even let you take challengers. Such a missed opportunity.

"Yes, we can totally defeat the CHAMPION OF KANTO who by every definition of the word is stronger than all of us, there is no way this will backfire"

Rockets have too much optimism sometimes
Maybe that's why you don't have any challenges in the postgame?

It is time.

FINAL UPDATE!!
It's been a long time coming.
You didn't think it was going to be that easy, did you?

The first arc of Shiro's story comes to a close as she rather abruptly leaves her team behind. Where is she going? You'll have to stay tuned to find out . . .

. . .

Hoenn. She's going to Hoenn.

Since we're at the end, a few stats:
  • It has been 3,500 days since the first page was posted on December 19, 2010. Yeah, I know. Crazy.
  • Added together, the comic is 62.2 m/204 feet long. That's a lot. Times by width, and you get 473.89 m squared of comic.
  • Shiro caught a total of 52 pokemon in Kanto, and had 7 deaths.
If there's any lingering questions, now's the time to ask. Otherwise, thanks for reading, and look forward to the sequel - Shiro's Quest: An Adventure in Hoenn coming soon.

Nessi

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 5, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ghost
You did it! :partytime: And poor Pamela D:

Riboo

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
Well shit, there she go. Shi-ro? :l It was a crazy ride going through this comic, I'm glad you found the motive and the energy to finish up this part of Shiro's journey as she region jumps, I'm hoping the next section of her journey goes well for you in terms of game play and all that (unless you've already done it)

Still curious what the heck Mewtwo needs from this poor girl, she's def gonna have some major issues when it comes to psychic Pokemon and the like (also no worries about the conclusion, I know you were anxious about it in chat, but its fine, as this services as a transition to the new run and busting into the rocket warehouse was some fun shit!)

I'm really interested to see where this goes from here, how Shiro will handle Hoenn, how a CHAMPION of all people will handle a new journey and what essentially amounts to a brand new start. I wonder what experiences she'll take with her and if her team will try to seek her out or even seek Mewtwo out to try and locate their trainer! >:D I mean, they ARE a champion team, I think they can persuade the giant psy cat.

Overall, I enjoyed your work, I hope to see, going forward, a bit more about the interactions between Shiro's Pokemon, maybe more about Shiro herself and her background. I love her strong personality and how she became sort of a no bullshit person as she went through her journey, so I'd love to see more of that side of her. Also MEWTWO I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOUR DEAL IS.

In short.

MORE.

Ardomew

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
The Violet Wizard. Passionate about art, food, and games.
Oh my goodness, I'm so happy to see this run finally come to a close! It's been a wild ride these last couple of years! Shiro and her party were a huge inspiration for my own works, and I've very excited to see how her next adventure plays out!

Once again, congratulations on finishing this comic!

Alex_Nidas

I'm lazy and I'm proud
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Sightings of them in the wild are rare, as they prefer to stay indoors with their art tablet and little siblings.
Welllll then. That was a roller coaster of emotion, for sure. Got caught up on the entire run in just a day so I can be ready for your next one, since you've sung such high praises of it on the discord. I'm excited to see where you go from here

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
Finally caught up! :'D Your Nuzlocke comic was one of the first I started reading in 2011, and seeing it finished is a glorious feeling. Big congrats!
I love how badass Shiro has become and how she's been handling Mewtwo. He really asked for help, huh! I hope their communication will improve more during the next adventure. :V
The humor in these recent pages has been gold, too. Hercules yeeting the Hypno into orbit, the Remoraid gun... Good stuff.

Well! I'm excited for the next part of Shiro's story!

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost studies constantly and wishes that they had more energy for creative projects. They would love to cuddle every adorable cat in the world.
omg i can't believe it's over

poor poor pamela, and that ending freaked me out aaaaaaaaaa

good luck for hoenn!! you've got this xD

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
First off, congrats on finishing a Nuzlocke comic! That's no easy feat, and you should be proud of yourself!
Catching up on this comic was a blast. I love how Mewtwo was way more involved in the plot, the way you've written his character is very interesting and his viewpoint of the world and how he deals with problems remains consistent, letting the reader know exactly who he is. Really, all the characters here are so well written - Shiro's badass and takes no shit from anyone, and those types of protagonists are always enjoyable to read. I'm always excited to see how she'll handle new situations, especially after what happens at the end of this comic.
Speaking of, what an ending! It's definitely bittersweet - after losing so many friends, the team also loses their trainer and is left with practically no answers... I guess that's where the sequel comes in! I'm excited to see Shiro handle a fresh new start without her previous team, what Mewtwo wants from her, and how her old team will cope with the losses and ending of this comic. Amazing work!

Kadew

sometimes life really is quite lovely
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
If you encounter a wild Kadew, best practice is to gently bully her into remembering that she loves to draw. She forgets, sometimes.
You did it! You completed an entire nuzlocke comic! And in full color too, your dedication is incredible. I look forward to seeing what further stories you have to tell, as they'll only get better with all the experience you've gathered!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Just so you know, the link for part 34a in the first post is broken. You might want to check the other links past it as well, as I just headed to your DeviantART and read the rest of the comics on there.

I like how this nuzlocke puts a different spin on Giovanni, making him not quite the villainous leader that he is in the base games. The appearances of the Rocket admins make me wonder if a Johto nuzlocke is gonna happen after the Hoenn nuzlocke...

Also, Mewtwo, killing your chosen hero's Pokemon is NOT the way to go about asking for help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)