• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Johto Written Log Teen Commentary Mon [Complete] Barbecue Sauce is just Spicy Water: A Crystal Monolocke Run

Hydrochlorinate

Bard of Mind
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 2, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Preferring to operate in the dark, this pokemon is quick to obtain and discard many behaviors.
Text Speed: Fast
Animations: Off
Battle Style: Shift
Lines: Darkest
Frame: 4
Hotel: Trivago

Ok, I think we're ready to go.

(Name no longer subject to change)

Welcome one and welcome all to my first documented nuzlocke challenge. I've completed a Sun wonderlocke before, and Crystal isn't exactly new to me either. Here's the ruleset I'll be doing this run under:

The Rules
  1. If a pokémon faints, then it is considered dead. This pokémon must be placed in a box… forever.
  2. Catch only the first water type encountered in the area.
    • If a pokémon evolves into a water type, then it counts as the routes encounter, but it cannot be directly used in battle until it evolves.
    • Gift pokémon and pokémon won from a Game Corner count as that area's catch.
    • Dupes clause is active, and for the entire evolution line. This means that if I catch a Poliwag, then future poliwags, -whirls, -wraths, and -toeds will no longer count as the first water type in an area.
    • Because I'm playing on the 3DS virtual console, I am allowed to capture Shiny pokémon for later transfer. However, they cannot be used in battle unless they fit the other criteria.
  3. I must nickname all of my catches
  4. I can't teach a Pokémon a hidden machine unless they are able to be used in battle. Can I get an F for HM02 this run?
  5. The run ends either when my entire party dies, or when Red warps off of Mt. Silver.
And without further ado, let's jump right in.

After taking 10 hours in a character creation screen more complicated than the Sims 4, we have our Main Character™, a male pokémon trainer named Percy. Yes, it is a reference.

The first thing I do is attempt to sneak past mom.
Naturally, I failed.
On the bright side, we now have a Pokégear, a tool essential for beating the game.
Narrowly avoiding being dragged into a conversation with a neighbor for an hour or so, we make our way over to Professor Elm's laboratory. Outside, there's some nerd pressing his face against the window.

That's not suspicious at all.

Once inside, Elm spouts some magikrap about being lab partners, while we all know he just wants to use us for errands like an unpaid intern.

Like a gullible 11-year-old child, I fall for it.

I do get a Totodile out of the deal, the first team member. I name him John, because he looks like a John to me.

Lv. 5 Totodile, Male
Max HP: 21
Attack: 12
Defense: 12
Sp. Atk: 10
Sp. Def: 10
Speed: 10

After having a potion handed to us by an aide, I step out into the world, and make my way to Cherrygrove city. Surprisingly, I only had one encounter on that route, even with a detour to pick up the berry.

Once there, an old man shows me around town, calls me a noob, and gives me a map of the entire region. Nice.
Other than that, there's literally nothing to do here, so I proceed north. Passing by the first house on the route, we go into the second one. Here, mister pocket monster offers us an egg in these trying times, and Professor Oak torrents a pokédex app onto our phones. Thanks Oak.

With that out of the way, I leave Mr. Pokémon's house. Prof. Elm then calls me to tell me about a thief that's stolen one of his precious pokémon. Wow, I wonder who it could be.
I take a moment to grab the pecha- err, poison cure berry, and to grind John up to level 8, learning Rage in the process.

On my way back to New Bark town, I bump into that red-haired kid from earlier, who promptly insults us and challenges me to a battle.

In return, John deletes his Chikorita from existence to the tune of some good music. I'm not sure what else you expected, considering that this is the first rival battle, and John here has a 3 level lead. Upset, the kid then goes on a tangent about becoming the strongest pokémon trainer in the world, despite the fact that he doesn't treat his pokémon with love. Everyone knows that friendship is an important trait in becoming strong; just look at any shonen protagonist.

Anyway, back in the lab, a police officer (noticeably not an officer Jenny!!!) asks for evidence from a young kid. Luckily for us, the kid from earlier, now known as the thief, gave us his name: Luke.

Yes, that's also a reference.

After that series of events, I hand over the egg to Elm. He is visibly shocked at this relatively common occurrence, that he himself discovered. Maybe he knows about the increased shiny chance on this egg alone. Elm then asks me to go on a long walk through a short region, because Reasons™. It's not like we have anything better to do, I guess. As I exit the lab into the world once again, another aide hands me 5 pokéballs, officially beginning the run.

Here we go.

On route 29, some dude asks me if I know how to catch pokémon. What's a pokémon? Can I eat it?

I then proceed to not have a single encounter until Cherrygrove. Man, the encounter rate in Black and White had me expecting a lot more wild pokémon than this.

On route 30, I spend about 30 minutes going insane because I know for a fact that I've seen a Poliwag here, but I can't remember when they show up. Whatever, I'll just come back later.

After beating up some trainers for fun and profit, I realize that I never talked to my mom… the hard way. Whoops.

Hey! It's BITTERBERRY

Route 31 is also uneventful. Using the trainers in Falkner's gym for some fast exp, I get John up to level 13, where he learns water gun. Nice.

I then decide it's time for Sprout Tower. Like the rest of the early game, it is promptly scratched into the ground. I'm about double the level of the Bellsprouts here, so I deal big damage and take small damage. After watching Luke beat up the elder sprout, it is my turn to do the same. It goes about as well as you'd expect. Now I have HM05: Flash. Since I have no plans of visiting literally any dark caves, this is completely useless.

It is Falkner ti- a~nd he's beaten. Considering John was level 15 going into this fight, this is no surprise. Both Pidgey and Pidgeotto went down with no problems. With the acquisition of the Zephyr Badge ( And the TM for Mud-Slap), this section of the run is now completed.

Badges: 1
Pokédex: 1
Pokémon Acquisitions: 1
Time: 2 hr, 14 min.
Deaths: 0

New! Lv. 16 Totodile, Male (John)
HP: 35/48
Attack: 29
Defense: 29
Sp. Atk: 22
Sp. Def: 24
Speed: 24
Scratch, Leer, Rage, Water Gun

• What you don't see is me editing all usage of 1st person plural pronouns to 1st person singular.
  • Of course, Poliwag are on route 30. I was just not lucky enough to get the 30% nighttime encounter while I was messing around with the system clock. It really do be like that sometimes.

Last edited:

Hydrochlorinate

Bard of Mind
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 2, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Preferring to operate in the dark, this pokemon is quick to obtain and discard many behaviors.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
replies broke can i get a uhh U P D A T E

After leaving the Gym, Elm calls me in order to tell me that he’s sent us the egg that I delivered to him earlier. I go and pick it up from the pokémon center. Now, this egg doesn’t count as my Violet City encounter due to the fact that it’s a guaranteed Togepi, and as such I can’t use it after it hatches. However, it does have a small chance of being shiny, so into the party it goes.

Now that it’s night time, I head back over to route 31. Eventually, a poliwag shows up, and I raw ball it because John would likely one shot it. I name the new capture Dave.

Lv. 4 Poliwag, Male
Max HP: 17
Attack: 10
Defense: 9
Sp. Atk: 8
Sp. Def: 8
Speed: 12

I immediately level Dave up to 10, and he learns hypnosis on the way there. Nice.

After waiting for daytime, I proceed to Route 32, and skip past most of the trainers. Heading directly into the pokémon center outside Union Cave, I take the Old Rod from the fisherman. Afterwards I hike back up to Violet and fish in the pond, reeling in a Magikarp. I catch her and name her Meenah.

Lv. 10 Magikarp, Female
Max HP: 24
Attack: 7
Defense: 17
Sp. Atk: 9
Speed: 22

Now that I have a member of the Magikarp line captured and alive, I head on back down to Route 32, and begin to fish. Thanks to Meenah here, the horde of Magikarp that I fish up don’t count as my encounter for this route. Eventually, I reel in a Tentacool, a pokémon vital to this run’s success. “Why?” you may ask.

...What do you mean nobody really cares why Tentacool is so important?

Bah, whatever. It takes the rest of my pokéballs and a great ball that I found earlier, but I do manage to catch Dirk the Tentacool.

Lv. 10 Tentacool, Male
Max HP: 29
Attack: 15
Defense: 14
Sp. Atk: 16
Sp. Def: 26
Speed: 20

I then clean up the rest of the trainers on Route 32, netting enough experience to let John hit level 18, and evolve into Croconaw. Nice. Dave also learned water gun, I guess. With that business taken care of, me and the boys enter Union Cave.

...After waiting for nightfall.

Now Union Cave is no Mt. Moon, so beating up all the trainers here is no problem. I also run into the next team member, a Wooper. Having not remembered to restock on balls, Jake is added to the party.

Lv. 5 Wooper, Male
Max HP: 21
Attack: 10
Defense: 10
Sp. Atk: 8
Sp. Def: 8
Speed: 7

This means that I can’t get a Lapras later, but having a ground type is going to be pretty good for certain opponents in the future.

Also, why are so many of my ‘mons male? Like, it means that they have a relatively high attack DV, which is nice, but almost all of them have a 50/50 gender ratio.

Anyway, I exit Union Cave, beat up hiker Anthony just to flex on speedrunners, and enter Azalea Town unscathed.

Now, word on the street’s that there’s a man living here that can create pokéballs for people. Considering that my last two catches took a chunk out of my supply, an alternate way of getting these things would be cool. I pay him a visit, but Kurt’s gearing up for a trip. Apparently, there’s a couple of guys, up to no good, that started making trouble in the neighborhood. That explains the dude leaning on the well. Man, that’s pretty dangerous though. He could fall in and break his back or something.

Kurt dips, leaving a stranger alone with his granddaughter. She tells me that she’s lonely, so naturally I take that as a reason to go after Kurt so that he doesn’t die, leaving her with no other living relatives or something.

Someone should make that into a fanfic.

Anyway it’s time for Slowpoke Well. I descend down the ladder, only to find Kurt laying on his back, having slammed into it, rendering him unable to move. Dude, do you need some medical help or something?

He waves me off, so I go ahead and flush the rocket grunts out of the well. While he was laying there, he also mentioned something about not having any pokémon. Ho-oh’s flaming genitals that’s hardcore. We go and beat up some nerds koffing, and Team Rocket leaves. Afterwards, Kurt comes by to check on the Slowp- wait what

D-did his back heal that quickly? Pokéhumans must be super tough.

Kurt teleports me back to his house, and tells me that he’d be honored to make our balls. Nice. He hands me a Lure Ball, which would’ve come in handy when catching Dirk. Oh well, it’ll probably get some use in the future. At this point, he tells me that he needs these things called apricorns to make pokéballs, and that it takes him a day to make one type. Gamefreak really wants us to engage in capitalism, huh.

Anyway, with everything else done and dusted, I take the time to grind up a bit for Bugsy. As I’m doing so, the togepi hatches. It’s not shiny, so it’s immediately released into the PC. Goodbye Queso, we hardly knew ye.

With John now at level 20, I step into Azalea town’s local gym, home of Bugsy, the gym leader of Azalea town’s local gym.

I spent way too much time on that last joke.

There’s not much to say about the gym. Spinarak is weak, Ledyba are tubby, and Paras are a pain in the Basculin to fight. Jake managed to learn Slam here, which is cool.

It’s Bugsy time. Metapod and Kakuna are easily taken down by Jake for exp, and then Scyther is sent out. I switch into Dave. Scyther attempts to build up Fury Cutter, but one Hypnosis puts it to sleep. It stays asleep long enough for me to switch into John, lower its defence with Leer, and scratch it to death. Super Nice

With that, I’ve earned both the Hive Badge, and the TM for Fury Cutter. And with that, this section is now over. Tune in next time, where I get my ass kicked by a cow and it’s alien daughter.

Badges: 2
Pokédex: 7
Pokémon Acquisitions: 5
Time: 4 hr, 28 min.

Lv. 20 Croconaw, Male (John)
HP: 64/64
Attack: 43
Defense: 43
Sp. Atk: 33
Sp. Def: 35
Speed: 35
Scratch, Leer, Rage, Water Gun

New! Lv. 16 Poliwag, Male (Dave)
HP: 37/42
Attack: 27
Defense: 23
Sp. Atk: 21
Sp. Def: 21
Speed: 37
Water Gun, Hypnosis, Bubble

New! Lv. 10 Magikarp, Female (Meenah)
HP: 24/24
Attack: 7
Defense: 17
Sp. Atk: 9
Splash

New! Lv. 11 Tentacool, Male (Dirk)
HP: 31/31
Attack: 17
Defense: 15
Sp. Atk: 18
Sp. Def: 29
Poison Sting, Supersonic

Why do I use the word anyway so much i had to edit out like 50 of them.
No i didnt encounter a slowpoke in the well why do you ask
Also the naming scheme should be a lot more obvious because i have multiple pokemon
if you dont get it then you probably dont want to know.

Last edited:

Hydrochlorinate

Bard of Mind
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 2, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Oh shoot i forgot about jake in the last party update. whoops.

The first thing I do after beating Bugsy is heal. The second thing I do after beating Bugsy is to go back to Slowpoke Well. Eventually, I find a Slowpoke... and it’s another male. Game are you trying to tell me something here? Does GameFreak support the patriarchy? I name him Sollux because he’s a psychic type. I am a naming master.

Lv. 6 Slowpoke, Male
Max HP: 28
Attack: 14
Defense: 13
Sp. Atk: 10
Speed: 7

Afterwards, I put meenah into the PC. She’ll come in handy later. I also take the time to rename the first pc box to “Fridge”.

Anyway, I then proceed weast to Ilex Forest, but I’m stopped by Luke. He doesn’t believe that we had the moxie to beat up some goth nerds in a well, so he challenges us to a battle.

John takes out his Gastly, but is paralyzed in the process by Lick. Bayleef is out next, so I send Dirk in. After a couple of Growls and a Reflect, Poison Sting manages to poison Bayleef. We then have a short healing war, as Bayleef hits us with (non-critical!) Razor Leafs and I heal up with potions.What’s the plural of Razor Leaf? Razor Leaves? Razor Leafi? This continues until Reflect wears off, at which I switch John into a Razor Leaf.

Bayleef fails to lower my attack, but John’s still paralyzed and can’t finish it off. Due to poison damage, Bayleef’s one turn from fainting, so I heal John. Bayleef lets out one final Growl, which fails. Dirk levels up and learns Constrict; John levels up and learns Bite, which replaces Rage.

Last up is Zubat. Bite doesn’t kill it, so it gets off a Supersonic. However, John manages to pull himself together long enough to finish off the Zubat, & the battle is over.

Luke is, as always, a sore loser. He complains about the weak and how he wants to wipe them out. Funnily enough, this includes Team Rocket. Guess we have something in common then. I go back to heal, and then enter Ilex Forest. Here we train up Sollux a bit, and herd a Farfetch’d back to its owner. He gives us the HM for Cut, which I teach to Dirk. This way, I don’t have to teach it to John. That’s right, the entire reason I hyped up Dirk so much was that he could learn Cut.

Deeper in the forest, I pick up the TM for Headbutt, and give it to John, replacing Scratch. I also teach Jake Mud-Slap. I also almost lose Dirk to a critical Scratch from a Paras. To the Distortion World with those guys. Once out of the forest, I sneak past most of the trainers to get to Goldenrod City. While I’m here, I grab the bike, and remember to actually get the radio card this time. Back south, I get the Odd Egg from the Day-Care couple. Like in Violet City, This doesn’t count as my area encounter, but the ⅛ chance of getting a shiny is too good to pass up.

Anyway, It is time to grind for Whitney. Here’s the rundown of what happens
  • I buy Ice Punch, and teach it to John, replacing Leer
  • I tell a dude that no I can’t deliver his pokemon; it’s not a water type
  • I accidently cuck a picknicker
  • I inform a maniac that lickitung does not, in fact, have any hair
  • I find out that Yanma give good EXP
  • I get the TM for Dig in National Park, and teach it to Jake, replacing Mud-Slap
  • Jake hits lv 20, and evolves into Quagsire
  • The Odd Egg hatches into an ordinary Cleffa. I name her Cupcake and store her in the Fridge
  • Tackle misses a lot more than it should
  • I find a psydu- wait what
Uhh so apparently you can find Psyduck on Route 35. I didn’t know that.
I catch him, still a bit baffled. Say hewwo to Gamzee, everypony.

I think I just uttered the most cursed sentence in the decade right there.

Lv. 13 Psyduck, Male
Max HP: 37
Attack: 21
Defense: 20
Sp. Atk: 22
Sp. Def: 19
Speed: 21

He’s stored in the Fridge for now, because Psyduck is honestly my least favorite water pokemon, and I didn’t feel like training him as well. Eventually, it’s time to fight Whitney.

I’m worried. Whitney has a reputation of being either a cakewalk or a monster, with no in-between. The fight starts. I lead with John. Clefairy goes down smoothly, with Headbutt flinching and then KO’ing her, preventing any metronome shenanigans. It’s a good start, but the real challenge is yet to come. It’s a good thing I have a plan.

Do you remember Bugsy? Dave does. He’s sent out against Miltank, who immediately goes for Rollout, instead of Attract. It misses, but so does my Hypnosis. Luckily, on the second turn, we both do the same thing, and both attacks hit. While Miltank takes a snooze, I switch in John. Headbutt does less than I’d like, so I go for Ice Punch on the next turn because I don’t know Miltank’s stat spread. As it turns out, that doesn’t matter, as Ice Punch crits for massive damage, leaving Miltank with low health. She’s still asleep, but she outspeeds John. If Miltank wakes up next turn, she’ll definitely use Milk Drink, but Ice Punch will probably beat KO her at this range. I select the move, and hope for the best.

Miltank sleeps. Ice Punch connects. Miltank faints.

And with that, the battle is won. I receive the Plain badge, and the TM for Attract, and this section is over.

Badges: 3
Pokédex: 11
Pokémon Acquisitions: 7
Time: 9 hr, 4 min.

Lv. 25 Croconaw, Male (John)
HP: 60/78
Attack: 53
Defense: 53
Sp. Atk: 41
Sp. Def: 43
Speed: 44
Headbutt, Ice Punch, Water Gun, Bite

Lv. 23 Poliwag, Male (Dave)
HP: 53/58
Attack: 38
Defense: 32
Sp. Atk: 30
Sp. Def: 30
Speed: 53
Water Gun, Hypnosis, Double Slap, Bubble

Lv. 12 Tentacool, Male (Dirk)
HP: 33/33
Attack: 18
Defense: 16
Sp. Atk: 19
Sp. Def: 31
Speed: 24
Poison Sting, Supersonic, Constrict, Cut

Lv. 21 Quagsire, Male (Jake)
HP: 76/76
Attack: 43
Defense: 43
Sp. Def: 35
Speed: 35
Slam, Dig, Water Gun, Tail Whip

New! Lv. 16 Slowpoke, Male (Sollux)
HP: 24/59
Attack: 32
Defense: 28
Sp. Atk: 21
Speed: 13
Tackle, Curse, Growl, Water Gun

Box 1: Fridge
Queso (Lv. 5 Togepi, Male)
Meenah (Lv. 10 Magikarp, Female)
Cupcake (Lv. 5 Cleffa, Female)
New! Gamzee (Lv. 13 Psyduck, Male)

I really did forget psyduck exists huh
Yes i did name the PC box fridge because i knew I was going to name a pokemon gamzee why do you ask.

Second

A Yu-Gi-Oh! Protagonist but in Real Life
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
They / Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon has a tendency to start many projects as they come to mind, but they tend to only finish projects other people have made deadlines for.
the title of this log was cursed enough to draw me in, but your commentary is what kept me here. you're also entirely correct that "Say hewwo to Gamzee, everypony." is a sentence that can murder a man in under a second. Your run is going real well right now! Wish you continued luck!

Hydrochlorinate

Bard of Mind
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 2, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dark
Pokédex Entry
@Second Yeah, there’s been a lot of close calls, mostly because I have to remember to train up more than one party member this go around. I might post a spin off at the end where I do the entire thing again but with only my starter. I too hope that my good fortune continues.

After beating Whitney, I stop by the flower shop next door in order to pick up the Squirt Bottle. I remembered to talk to the girl by the Sudowoodo while I was grinding, so I don’t have to go back and do that now. I do however, have to go back north in order to use the bottle on it. Why I couldn’t use any of my 5 water types, most of which knew Water Gun, I have no clue.

So anyway I beat up the Sudowoodo, and head to Ecruteak City. Inside the pokemon center, I meet a dude named Bill, who apparently created the PC system used worldwide. He tells me that he’s managed to create a time machine to trade pokemon from 3 years ago with today. Naturally, I have some questions. Why only 3 years? Why not send information about the stock market back in time to get rich? Why not send back info about the 100 newly discovered pokemon to speed up research? How does this Time Capsule let you send Pokemon, but not items?

Bill leaves before I can even voice my second question. Jerk.

After that encounter, I go behind the pokecenter to a perfectly legal dance club. A shady guy with a mean-looking Rhydon promises to give me something Cool™ If we can beat the 5 Kimono Girls in a dance-off. I do so with ease, as my water pokemon and I are perfectly in sync, due to some synchronized swimming classes we took off-screen. Along the way, Dave hits level 25, learns Rain Dance over Bubble, and evolves into Poliwhirl.

After seeing our sick moves, the shady guy with the Rhydon gives us the HM for Surf, which I teach to literally everyone in the party. Dirk’s a bit underleveled, and now that he has a good attacking move, I train him up to level 17, before heading to the burned tower. Here, I meet a guy named Suicune, who’s hunting down a legendary pokemon named Eusine.

I am 97% sure that this is correct, based on some statistical analysis I basically just pulled out of Dirk’s mouth just now.

Morty’s here, too.

In the center of the tower, Luke’s also searching for the legendary pokemon. He blames me for its non-appearance, and challenges me to a battle.

First up is Haunter, who puts a curse on Dirk. A Surf kills it from half HP. Next is Magnemite, so I bring in Jake. Jake outspeeds and dispatches it with a single Dig.
Bayleef’s up next, and I send out Dave. We give him the ol’ one two, putting him to sleep and switching to John. Two Ice Punches end it.

Zubat’s last again, so I keep John in. A single Ice Punch takes it down, winning me the battle.

Luke calls me a slur and laughs at me as I clip through the floor. I thought this was the burned tower, not the Bethesda Tower!

(Cue Laugh Track)

In the basement, some pokemon unpetrify themselves, and flee. One of them, however, looks at me for slightly longer than the other two. I guess it knows I’m doing a water monotype run. Eusine comes up to me and thanks me for enabling his stalkerish ways. You do you Eusine. Who knows, maybe I’ll accidentally KO it when the time comes.

Now it’s time for Morty. His entire gym consisted of John spamming Surf until I won. That’s it. Even with his infamous Gengar outspeeding and tanking a hit, both of his Hypnosises…. Hypnosi… Both of his sleepy time moves missed. With that, I’ve earned the Fog Badge, and the TM for Shadow Ball. This section is now done.

Badges: 4
Pokédex: 12
Pokémon Acquisitions: 7
Time: 10 hr, 21 min.

Lv. 29 Croconaw, Male (John)
HP: 90/90
Attack: 61
Defense: 62
Sp. Atk: 48
Sp. Def: 50
Speed: 51
Headbutt, Ice Punch, Surf, Bite

Lv. 25 Poliwhirl, Male (Dave)
HP: 75/75
Attack: 49
Defense: 48
Sp. Atk: 38
Sp. Def: 38
Speed: 58
Surf, Hypnosis, Double Slap, Rain Dance

Lv. 17 Tentacool, Male (Dirk)
HP: 44/44
Attack: 25
Defense: 22
Sp. Atk: 26
Sp. Def: 43
Speed: 33
Surf, Poison Sting, Supersonic, Cut

Lv. 22 Quagsire, Male (Jake)
HP: 79/79
Attack: 48
Defense: 48
Sp. Atk: 39
Sp. Def: 39
Speed: 28
Slam, Dig, Surf, Tail Whip

Lv. 18 Slowpoke, Male (Sollux)
HP: 66/66
Attack: 35
Defense: 31
Sp. Atk: 23
Sp. Def: 23
Speed: 14
Tackle, Curse, Growl, Surf

• Queso (Lv. 5 Togepi, Male)
  • Meenah (Lv. 10 Magikarp, Female)
  • Cupcake (Lv. 5 Cleffa, Female)
  • Gamzee (Lv. 13 Psyduck, Male)

Well talk about a pushover lol. None of the important fights were a problem in this section
Then again crystal is generally an easy game from what i’ve seen
I cant wait to get beat up by a certain shiny pokemon next section

Hydrochlorinate

Bard of Mind
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 2, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dark
Pokédex Entry
oh boy its updoot time

After beating Morty, I head east to Route 32, & begin surfing to Mahogany. Along the way, I run into and catch a Goldeen, another water type that I forgot existed. He’s named Eridan.

Lv. 21 Goldeen, Male
Max HP: 49
Attack: 38
Sp. Atk: 25
Sp. Def: 31

We don’t stop there though; I got a date with destiny, and it ain’t gon’ end with a kiss.

John does hit level 30 and evolves though, which is nice. Once in Mahogany Town, I put Eridan in the fridge and take out Meenah, before heading north. I go through the grassy part of Route 43, because I don’t feel like spending money just to go somewhere. Making my way to the Lake of Rage, I confront the Shiny Gyarados, which stands at a whopping level 30, almost as stong as John.

As I’m whittling down the Gyarados’ HP, a critical thrash takes John into the red, so I switch into meenah.

Unfortunately, level 10 magikarp that I spent no time training at all is unable to survive the next thrash. I am 94% sure that nobody could have possibly seen this coming. This unbelievably tragic event came out of nowhere, but I have taken the time to express my thoughts on this grim subject in the only way I know how - ART.

Wise words, Muhammad Ali. This horrible death does allow me to actually capture this shiny Gyarados. If I can put aside my rage towards it, it would make a good yellow orange that can help me throughout the game. I bring in Dave, who puts it to sleep. I capture the beast with an Ultra Ball that I found next to Mt. Mortar.

I name the mad lad Karkat, and I get a Red Scale for my troubles.

Lv. 30 Shiny Gyarados, Male
Max HP: 97
Attack: 88
Defense: 58
Sp. Atk: 47
Sp. Def: 71
Speed: 59

I surf back to shore, and this dude in a cape tells me that the Magikarp that normally live here are being forcibly evolved. He also says that he too is a monolocker, albeit one that doesn’t abide by the Dupes Clause. He asks me if I can help him investigate the source of the forced evolutions. I accept, but I don’t actually do the Rocket Hideout just yet because I need padding for the later parts.

On my way back to Ecruteak, Jake learns Amnesia over Tail Whip. Once I arrive, I finally remember to put Meenah to rest, and withdraw Karkat. I teach him Surf over Leer. Further west, to route 38, I train up a bit. Dirk hits level 19, learning Acid over Poison Sting, while Sollux gets to 20, learning Confusion over Growl.

I make it to Olivine City, where Luke once again approaches me. Instead of battling me, he tells me that the Gym Leader’s off being a good person and taking care of a sick pokemon. Ignoring the wide variety of insults that he slings at me, the gym leader, and pokemon in general, I go ahead and get the good rod and the HM for Strength. Strength is taught to Dave over Double-Slap.

I ascend the lighthouse, get a quest from Jasmine, and use an escape rope to go back down. Holes are for nerds. Now it’s time to head over to Cianwood. Let it be known that I absolutely despise water routes. Despite this, I land safely. Here, I pick up some unprescribed medicine, laugh at some dude’s non-water type pokemon, and catch a glimpse of that blue beast from last part.

Eusine battles me here to profess his undying love for a pokemon that keeps running away from him. Good job dude. A Rain Dance + Surf Combo kicks his Feebas and sweeps his team, although I do switch Jake in to take care of the Electrode.

At this point, I’m not sure that I’ll be able to take on Chuck with my levels being as low as they are. I mean, theoretically I could just use John and Karkat and win, but this time I’m going to attempt to only use HM moves. Gotta get that s w e e t acheivement dude. I begin the grind.

I bring the hard drugs back to Jasmine, mostly because there also happens to be a rematch here. Going anywhere takes a while due to the lack of Fly, but I’m also waiting for a certain fisherman to call and tell me that he’s found a water stone anyway.

I have a large amount of metaphorical irons in the metaphorical fire.

One of which is catching a Krabby from the shores of Olivine City. Unlike 80% of my other catches, it’s female this time, and is named Rose.

Lv. 20 Krabby, Female
Max HP: 43
Attack: 47
Defense: 44
Sp. Atk: 18
Sp. Def: 18
Speed: 26

She’s kept in the fridge.

While training, I stop by Mt. Mortar to 1) Encounter Suicune again, and 2) Catch a Marill on the bottom floor. He’s named Tavros, and also put in the fridge.

Lv. 21 Marill, Male
Max HP: 66
Attack: 19
Sp. Atk: 16
Sp. Def: 29

As I’m training Dirk up near the Whirl Islands, Fisherman Tully calls me… for a battle. Do I have the right person on my phone?

As Dirk hits level 30 and evolves, I figure that it’s time to take on the Grand Chuckster, who’s able to toss Strength boulders with ease.

What do you mean that has nothing to do with pokemon battles?

Primape’s up first, and I send out Dave. Dave hits Surf and takes him down to a bit above half health. Primape connects with a Leer. Another Surf almost beats him, but he retaliates with Fury Swipes, which hit 3 times for honestly not much damage. A single strength takes him down, and Dave gets to Level 31.

His next pokemon is Poliwrath, So I send out Dirk. Both Cut and Dynamic Punch miss on turn one. Turn two arrives and Cut does approximately jack shit, while Poliwrath puts me to sleep. I switch in John, and Poliwrath uses Lock-On. Surf does about as much as Cut did. He puts me to sleep again, because sleep clause is not a thing that exists in the League Rules. Dave is switched in and immediately eats a Dynamic Punch, leaving him with under a 3rd HP left. It doesn’t confuse me though. Does the 25% fail rate on enemy status move apply for secondary effects too?

Next turn, I use a super potion, only for Dynamic Punch to connect again, bringing me back down to ⅓ HP, and confusing me to boot. Man, this “HM Only” thing sure makes Chuck an actual challenge. I heal again, and Dynamic Punch connects again, this time leaving me a bit under half HP. Lugia’s sleek posterior Chuck, you didn’t even use Lock-On this time. 3rd verse, same as the first. Now I’m above half HP, and I’m pretty sure Poliwrath only has one more Dynamic Punch.

Another heal, and this time he goes for Hypnosis, but it fails. I’m still confused though, and next turn Dave hits himself in confusion. Another Hypnosis fails. On the next turn, Strength not only hits, but also crits, leaving Poliwrath in the low yellow range. Hypnosis fails again.

Looks like you’ve used up all your luck for this battle, ehh Chuck?

Lightly admonishing me for my hubis, Murphy makes me hit myself again, but Hypnosis misses again. Next turn, I snap out of confusion, and one final Strength finished off Poliwrath.

With that, I earn the Storm Badge and the TM for Dynamic Punch.

Badges: 5
Pokédex: 18
Pokémon Acquisitions: 11
Time: 21 hr, 29 min.
Deaths: 1

Lv. 31 Feraligatr, Male (John)
HP: 108/108
Attack: 80
Defense: 78
Sp. Atk: 64
Sp. Def: 66
Speed: 67
Headbutt, Ice Punch, Surf, Bite

Lv. 31 Poliwhirl, Male (Dave)
HP: 82/92
Attack: 60
Defense: 5
Sp. Atk: 46
Sp. Def: 46
Speed: 71
Surf, Hypnosis, Strength, Rain Dance

Lv. 30 Tentacruel, Male (Dirk)
HP: 97/97
Attack: 61
Defense: 56
Sp. Atk: 63
Sp. Def: 87
Speed: 77
Surf, Acid, Supersonic, Cut

Lv. 26 Quagsire, Male (Jake)
HP: 92/92
Attack: 57
Defense: 56
Sp. Atk: 46
Sp. Def: 46
Slam, Dig, Surf, Amnesia

Lv. 29 Slowpoke, Male (Sollux)
HP: 102/102
Attack: 56
Defense: 49
Sp. Atk: 37
Sp. Def: 37
Tackle, Curse, Confusion, Surf

Lv. 30 Shiny Gyarados, Male (Karkat)
HP: 97/97
Attack: 88
Defense: 58
Sp. Atk: 47
Sp. Def: 71
Speed: 59
Thrash, Bite, Dragon Rage, Surf

• Eridan (Lv. 21 Goldeen, Male)
  • Rose (Lv. 20 Krabby, Female)
  • Tavros (Lv. 21 Marill, Male)

Box 14: Dead

• Chuck was a challenge this time, but lady luck was on my side. Murphy didnt stand a chance dude he was forced into the time-out corner
  • kinda scared hes gonna come back and kick my ass in the future

Hydrochlorinate

Bard of Mind
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 2, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Alright, you know what they say, another update, another dollar. (more like another nickel haha)

Leaving Chuck’s gym, I forget don’t bother to pick up the Fly HM. None of the pokemon that I can use this run can learn it, so no fast travel for me. This is so sad, pokegear play unova route 10.

Anyway, back in Olivine, I move Jake to the front of my party. It’s time to take on Jasmine.

Quagsire, at a lower level than literally everything in the gym, outspeeds both Magnemites and beats them with dig. He’s also faster than the Steelix, and a single Critical Surf OHKOs it.
I’ve now earned the Mineral Badge, and the TM for Iron Tail.

Whelp, that was a short update, see y’all in 10 ye- yeah no. It’s Rocket time.

Walking into the Mahogany Town Pharmacy, I arrive just in time to see Lance murder somebody with his Dragonite’s Hyper Beam.

Ok then : )

Passing by the pile of human ash, I enter Team Rocket’s secret base, and clean out the place. Before reaching the final room though, Luke appears and begins to whine about being denied the chance to take out Team Rocket himself. He also complains about wiping to some nerd in a cape, who actually cares about his pokemon. He doesn’t battle me though, leaving me free to head into the executive’s room. We beat him up, while the Murkrow sadly crows out the password to the generator room.

Back on B1, I’m accosted by two executives before I’m able to enter in the password. Despite their words, I’m sure that I’m strong enough to take both of them on at the same time. Unluckily though, in Gen 2, double battles are a myth. However, Lance comes by, allowing us to have 2 simultaneous single battles instead.

Man, if only there was a battle format that allowed for a 2v2 pokemon battle. Some sort of Multi-Battle or something.

We win in the end, and Team Rocket fades from existence, but not before giving an ominous warning. Lance and I shut down the generator, Jake taking care of the Electrode that power the machine, and he hands me the HM for Whirlpool. He makes his goodbyes, and walks out. I instead use Dig, because I’m no plebeian like him.

I teach Dirk Whirlpool over Super Sonic. Realizing that I probably should’ve done this a long time ago, I bike back to Goldenrod City, and purchase the Headbutt TM for Sollux. He learns it over tackle.

Back in Mahogany, as I make my way through the gym trainers, Sollux hits level 32… and doesn’t evolve. Apparently Slowpoke don't evolve until level 37 and not 32? That’s a big oof.

Anyway, before fighting Pryce, I put John, Dirk, and Sollux in the fridge. This way, I can get that achievement for fighting a gym leader with the same amount of pokemon that they have. Although my Falkner fight may count for that, I didn’t log the entire battle like I do now. With 3 pokemon in my party, I challenge Pryce.

He sends out Seel, while I send out Karkat. A Thrash takes Seel into the red, and it connects with an Icy Wind that deals almost nothing, but lowers my speed.

Dewgongs out next, and I’m freed from Thrash. Dewgongs faster though, and hits an Aurora Beam, after which I find out that Karkat is in fact confused. He breaks through it, and a Thrash takes off half of the Dewgongs HP. Next turn, an Aurora Beam hits again, while Karkat slaps himself in confusion. No longer locked into Thrash, I switch to Dave, while Dewgong uses Rest to heal itself. Strength takes off a measly quarter of its health, so I bring Karkat back in. Not wanting to take chances, I use a hyper potion to bring Karkat back up to full. Dewgong wakes up this turn and uses another Aurora Beam. Without the speed drop from Icy Wind, Karkat outspeeds, and a high-roll Thrash takes Dewgong down into the red. Its Icy Wind misses. The next turn, a final thrash takes it down.

Pryce’s last pokemon is a Piloswine, so I switch in Dave again. A Surf from me takes Piloswine deep into the yellow, and its Fury Attack does little. Finally, another Surf ends the battle, and nets Dave enough XP to level up to 32.

With Pryce defeated, I win the Glacier Badge and the TM for Icy Wind.

Badges: 6
Pokédex: 18
Pokémon Acquisitions: 11
Time: 23 hr, 33 min.

Lv. 32 Poliwhirl, Male (Dave)
HP: 85/95
Attack: 62
Defense: 61
Sp. Def: 48
Surf, Hypnosis, Strength, Rain Dance

Lv. 30 Quagsire, Male (Jake)
HP: 106/106
Attack: 65
Defense: 65
Sp. Atk: 53
Sp. Def: 53
Speed: 38
Slam, Dig, Surf, Amnesia

Lv. 30 Shiny Gyarados, Male (Karkat)
HP: 81/98
Attack: 89
Defense: 59
Sp. Def: 72
Speed: 63
Thrash, Bite, Dragon Rage, Surf

• John (Lv. 33 Feraligatr, Male)
  • Dirk (Lv. 30 Tentacruel, Male)
  • Sollux (Lv. 32 Slowpoke, Male)

• Dewgongs a lot tankier than I remembered dude
  • Haha jokes on you because i beat pryce with only 3 pokemon i dont have update the others
  • Next time i obtain more pokemon and beat up more explosive devices

Hydrochlorinate

Bard of Mind
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 2, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Me, making notes: wow this parts gonna be kinda long, huh. Can't take too long to type it up though.
Procrastination: you underestimate my power
Me: oh no

After pushing Pryce’s fancy ice statues onto the floor, I leave the gym to go pick up my other pokemon from the fridge. I don’t get very far though, as the moment I step outside, Elm calls me yet again to tell me that something fishy’s going down at the Radio Tower. What is this man’s fascination with calling me just after I beat a gym leader? Instead of checking out the obvious plot hook, I instead head over to the Whirl Islands. In one of the southern entrances, I fish in a pool of water, and reel in a Horsea. Capturing it, I name him Eridan.

Lv. 20 Horsea, Male
Max HP: 42
Attack: 24
Defense: 35
Sp. Def: 15
Speed: 31

Next, I head back to the shores of Route 40, where I fish for a Staryu. Eventually I find and capture one, and name it Roxy.

Lv. 20 Staryu, Male
Max HP: 45
Attack: 24
Defense: 30
Sp. Atk: 38
Sp. Def: 32

After realizing that no, I hadn’t encountered a mantine despite my time spent on that route, I surf out to Route 41 and go around in circles until I find a mantine. When one appears, I capture her and name her Jade.

Lv. 20 Mantine, Female
Max HP: 54
Attack: 22
Defense: 38
Sp. Atk: 41
Sp. Def: 65

With these captures, I ride into Goldenrod City to see what all the fuss is about.
Except I don’t do that. Instead, I go south, and wait for morning time. As the sun rises upon Johto, I fish in the river next to the daycare center, and pull up a Corsola. She’s named Feferi.

Lv. 20 Corsola, Female
Max HP: 54
Attack: 29
Defense: 44
Sp. Atk: 36
Sp. Def: 44
Speed: 19

Anyway, now it’s time to check out the radio tower. The moment I step inside, the Team Rocket theme blows out my eardrums. Thanks game.
As a side note, what’s the deal with these nerds and radio waves?
One of the people being held hostage here tells me that the director is being held on the 5th floor. I take her words with a grain of salt, because I saw the director heading to the basement of the department store with a bunch of camping supplies. Unfortunately, the keys to that area are being kept on the 5th floor of the radio tower though, so I gotta go up there anyway. I switch John to the front because one of the executives coming up has a team made entirely of boomers, and John has the highest defense.

Surf kills him dude. None of his pokemon survive a single surf, except for wheezing, who attempts to poison me with smog before it’s beaten.

The master of disguise hands me the keys to the city, and I take a trip to the underground. While I’m down here, Fisherman Tully calls me to tell me that while he didn’t find a Water Stone, he did find a really big Ekans. It was like, thi~s big dude.
What a charlatan.

Anyway, coming up is another rival battle, and I think that this is the first battle that he leads with Sneasel, so I keep John in the front instead of putting Sollux back in for exp. Entering the deep underground, Luke accosts me from behind. He tells me that he’s been stalking me because I’m a Team Rocket magnet. After claiming that our previous/all 3 battles were flukes, he challenges me to a battle.

First up is, to my surprise, Golbat. An Ice Punch takes him into the deep yellow, and he gets off a Confuse Ray. The next turn, John hits himself, and Wing Attack takes him down to 75% HP. After that though, Ice Punch takes out the Golbat.

Magnemite’s next, so I switch to Jake. As is tradition, Jake outspeeds with Dig, avoids a Supersonic, and OHKO’s the Magnemite.

Meganium is sent out, and I switch to Dirk. I set up a whirlpool for the good ol’ fashioned chip damage, while Meganium sets up Reflect. On the next turn, Acid does little damage, while Body Slam takes off a quarter of my HP, and paralyzes Dirk.
Well then.
The next Body Slam crits, and I have to watch my HP bar slowly trickle down. Internally, I’m formulating which pokemon to add to my team next, and whether or not I want to do something serious for this death or not. Luckily, the attack only brings me down to a quarter of my remaining health, and no further. A combination of Acid and Whirlpool take Meganium down into the yellow. On the next turn, I use a Hyper Potion to fully heal. Body Slam doesn’t crit this time, but Meganium is freed from Whirlpool. Next, both Acid and Body Slam connect, leaving me in the yellow, and Meganium in the red. Reflect wears off. Taking a risk, I go for Acid instead of healing. Body slam doesn’t crit, and because Acid’s damage is no longer reduced, Dirk takes out the Meganium.

Luke sends out Haunter, so I swap back to Jake. Haunter outspeeds and uses Curse, which halves its HP. However, because Jake used Dig, I take 25% of my health in damage. Haunter’s Shadow Ball is avoided, and Dig KO’s it, which luckily means that I don’t take any Curse damage.

Last up is… Sneasel… huh. I coulda sworn he sends that out first. Guess I was bamboozled by the Victory Road fight. Anyway, I bring John in again. Sneasel halves my defense with screech, while headbutt takes off half of its health. Quick Attack does almost nothing, and Headbutt ends both the Sneasel and the battle.

After yet another crushing defeat at our hands, Luke takes a moment to reconsider his training style, and leaves us to take on Team Rocket. Because I’m not an idiot though, I go back and heal first.

Unlike the last 10 times I played this game, I don;t try to go for the items in the shutter room, and therefore don’t get lost this time. Sollux hits level 37 and finally evolves into Slowbro.

I untie the director, who had gotten tied up in his tent due to an unfortunate indoor camping mishap. He then confirms my suspicions that Team Rocket had taken over the radio tower in an attempt to control pokemon region wide.
It only just now occured to me that this is supposed to be a really big deal, based off of the director’s speech and the amount of executives that you’re forced to fight, but crystal’s level curve and the very existence of Kanto kinda undermine that.

Once more I must ascend the Radio Tower, but this time, I run into an executive known as “The Fortress”, who uses the regular trainer battle theme for some reason.

Actually, all of the executives have the normal battle theme. Weird.

Anyway, Karkat deletes them from existence, and the final one, who is apparently the leader, pulls a Giovanni by disbanding Team Rocket because he was beaten by a kid and fading away to the shadow realm. The director hands me a clear bell, allowing me to go capture Suicune if I wanted to.

First though, I go and get the Eevee from Bill. I can’t use it yet, due to my terrible luck with Water Stones, but I’ve set a secondary goal of getting all of the water types in gen 2.

Besides Lapras
Or Remoraid
Or Squ- ok you get the idea.

Theoretically I could get Remoraid, but thats a 1% encounter with a super rod. Thats a no from me, dawg. I’m also locked out of Lapras due to Jake, and Squirtle is unobtainable.

The Eevee is named Rufioh and placed in the Fridge.

Lv. 20 Eevee, Male
Max HP: 52
Attack: 31
Defense: 27
Sp. Atk: 24
Sp. Def: 32
Speed: 31

Biking over to Tin Tower, I learn that Suicune, Entei, and Raikou are just chillin here, 5 ft apart because they can't reproduce. The latter 2 flee, but Suicune challenges me. After weakening it and putting it to sleep, Suicune stays in the first ultra ball that I chuck at it. Nice. I name the legendary pokemon Calliope.

Lv. 40 Suicune
Max HP: 139
Attack: 72
Defense: 104
Sp. Atk: 77
Sp. Def: 97

After catching it, Eusine and the Monks from earlier burst in, having watched my battle through the boarded up windows. Eusine hints that Ho-oh may have appeared, but it’s not a water type, so I don’t care.
Back in town, I swap Calliope in for Dave. I still don’t have a water stone, so it’s falling behind on base stats. Hypnosis is also losing its importance for catching pokemon, due to how my levels are high enough for me to just chuck pokeballs.
I teach Strength to Jake, over Slam. Calliope gets Surf over Bubblebeam, Iron Tail over Leer, and Icy Wind over Gust.

Don’t you just love move replacements that make sense within the narrative?

I also remember that the EXP Share is a thing that exists, so I bike back to Mr. Pokemon’s house and trade in the Red Scale for the EXP Share.

West of Mahogany is Route 44, & the first thing I spot here is a berry tree.

Hey! It’s BURNTBERRY!

Ahh yes, a fruit that grows with a pre-scorched skin. Good job nature.

I enter Ice Path, home of my favorite cave music in probably the entire series, and some fun ice puzzles. I pick up the HM for Waterfall here, and teach it to Karkat, over Dragon Rage. After this, I enter Blackthorn, where there is nothing to do besides train up for Clair. Jake hits level 35, and learns Earthquake. With John and Calliope at lv 40, I figure that it’s time to take on Clair. I give John the Never-Melt Ice. Man, that's a clunky name for an item. Because she has 3 different Dragonites, they will be named by their unique move.

Clair sends out Surf-air, and I send out John. Ice Punch takes it into the red, but she retaliates with Thunder Wave, paralyzing me. I use a paralyze heal, only for Dragonbreath to paralyze me this time. Thanks game. John then proceeds to eat 3 Dragon Breaths before the Dragonair is finished by a Slash, which I taught to John over Headbutt at some indeterminate time beforehand.

Next up is Bolt-air, so I switch to Jake. The Dragonair is faster, and her Dragonbreath takes off a fourth of my HP, while Earthquake takes her into the yellow. The next turn goes the same, with Dragonbreath paralyzing me, and Earthquake KO’ing her.

Ice-air’s out next, and I bring in Calliope. Icy Wind takes off half of its health, but I’m paralyzed yet again by Thunder Wave. Her Dragonbreath hits me, but Calliope breaks through paralysis and crits an Icy Wind, dropping the Dragonair.

Last out is Kingdra, so I keep Calliope in so I can heal John. I use a paralysis heal on John, While Kingdra lightly taps Calliope with Surf. I heal John to full with a hyper potion, but Dragonbreath Crits, leaving me with 41 out of my 140 hit points. Yikes. I heal Callipoe while Kingdra goes for another Surf. Kingrda crits yet again with Dragonbreath while I lower it's defense with Iron Tail. On the next turn, I switch to John. Kingdra uses Hyper Beam that turn, which scares me a bit, but it only takes off a quarter of my HP. As Kingdra recharges, I get off a slash, taking it into the yellow. John outspeeds the Kingdra, and a final slash ends the match getting enough exp for John to level up.

As anyone who's gotten this far in gen 2 at least once knows, I don't get a badge from beating Clair. Instead, she calls me lazy and tells me to go take a dragons-licence test. This is unfair; I don't even have a permit yet!

Anyway, history loves repeating itself, as the moment I step into the Dragon's Den, my ears get blown out again. Le sign~

Strangely, all of the trainers here seem to think that I shouldn't be here, despite Clair's instructions. Hmm…
In fact, one of them even crit a Swift and left Dirk on 2hp! Jerks, the lot of 'em.

Luckily for me, the monks here understand my predicament, and simply ask for a test of character:

"What are Pokémon to you?" "Tools for gaining power."
"What helps you win battles?" "Fighting dirty"
"What kind of trainer do you wish to battle?" "Those who will reward me for winning."
"What is the most important for raising Pokémon?" "Crushing their free will, for the must do only what you wish."
"Strong Pokémon, weak Pokémon, which are more important?" "All Pokémon are strong if you push them hard enough."

Needless to say, I pass with flying colors. They tell me not to lose this conviction, just as Clair bursts in. Finally, some good music again. She assumed that I failed, but with my superior brainitude I default dance on her expectations.

She accuses me of lying, but the sages blackmail her into giving us the Rising Badge. Outside the building, Clair comes back to her senses from Tsunning too hard and gives the TM for Dragonbreath. With these acquisitions, the section is now over.

Badges: 8
Pokédex: 25
Pokémon Acquisitions: 17
Time: 30 hr, 58 min.

Lv. 33 Tentacruel, Male (Dirk)
HP: 58/107
Attack: 67
Defense: 62
Sp. Atk: 70
Sp. Def: 96
Speed: 84
Surf, Acid, Whirlpool, Cut

Lv. 33 Shiny Gyarados, Male (Karkat)
HP: 68/108
Attack: 99
Defense: 66
Sp. Atk: 53
Sp. Def: 80
Speed: 70
Thrash, Bite, Waterfall, Surf

Lv. 37 Slowbro, Male (Sollux)
HP: 124/133
Attack: 80
Defense: 97
Sp. Atk: 93
Sp. Def: 78
Speed: 40
Headbutt, Curse, Confusion, Surf

Lv. 35 Quagsire, Male (Jake)
HP: 123/123
Attack: 78
Defense: 76
Sp. Atk: 62
Sp. Def: 62
Earthquake, Strength, Surf, Amnesia

New! Lv. 40 Suicune (Calliope)
HP: 139/139
Attack: 72
Defense: 104
Sp. Atk: 77
Sp. Def: 97
Surf, Iron Tail, Rain Dance, Icy Wind

Lv. 41 Feraligtr, Male (John)
HP: 142/142
Attack: 108
Defense: 105
Sp. Atk: 84
Sp. Def: 88
Speed: 88
Slash, Surf, Ice Punch, Bite

• Dave (Lv. 33 Poliwhirl, Male)
  • New! Rufioh (Lv. 20 Eevee, Male)
  • New! Equius (Lv. 20 Horsea, Male)
  • New! Roxy (Lv. 20 Staryu)
  • New! Jade (Lv. 20 Mantine, Female)
  • New! Feferi (Lv. 20 Corsola, Female)

• Fun fact! eevee is an anagram of eevee! So are eevee, eevee,veeee and eevee!
  • Dangit now the word Eevee sounds weird.
  • Fun fact! While editing the box list, I got really confused with Equius and Eridan because both of their namesakes have to do with horses or seahorses and I was scared that I misnamed one of them in game.
  • Oh boy I can't wait to go into excruciating details about 6 fights in a row, all against trainers with high Pokémon counts!!!!!!!!

Hydrochlorinate

Bard of Mind
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 2, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Apparently Dragon is a special type? I could've sworn it was physical
After debating teaching dragon breath to Karkat over bite (I didn’t), I leave the Dragon’s Den, and am called by Prof. Elm. Again. He tells me that he’s got something for me. Maybe it’s a paycheck for all the research on water-type Pokemon that I’ve been doing for him.

I head south to Route 45. Here, I am presented with a choice between a path of boomers and a cave of Wobbuffet. I go down the mountainside because there are trainers there, I don’t need flash, and my water types can delete the gravelers before they can do anything. These factors allow me to safely make it to route 29 unmolested and ride into New Bark Town.

Instead of a bunch of money, Elm gives me a Master Ball. In a nuzlocke. When I’ve already captured the legendary. Thanks Elm.

East from New Bark, I cross over Tohjo Falls, & make my way up Route 26. Showing the gate guard my collection of vaguely important shiny objects, I’m allowed into Victory Road. I get the TM for Earthquake, and teach it to John, replacing Bite. Now it’s time for the first Big Fight ™ of the section. Before I can exit the cave, Luke teleports behind me and tells me its nothin personnel. He claims that due to having stronger pokemon, he’s basically invincible, and challenges me to show me how much stronger he is.

First is Karkat against Sneasel. Sneasel is faster and halves my defense with a screech, while Surf takes off almost half of its HP. Next, he goes for Fury Cutter of all things, dealing a grand total of 2 damage. I get a higher roll on Surf and KO it.

Magneton’s next, so I swap in Jake. For the first time in the Log, the Magnet Pokemon moves first, hitting me with a Sonic Boom. A single Earthquake takes it out.

Luke sends Meganium in, so I bring in John. I outspeed it, and Ice Punch takes it to half HP. Meganium sets up a Reflect, which doesn’t really help it because Ice is a special type in this gen. Another Ice Punch knocks it out.

Next up is Golbat, so I change to Calliope. The Suicune goes first and brings Golbat into the yellow with an Icy Wind. Golbat uses Wing Attack for a bit of damage, but another Icy Wind finishes it off.

Luke brings out Haunter next, and I, Dirk. Dirk outspeeds, and Surf leaves Haunter with very little HP. Haunter uses Shadow Ball for some damage, before another Surf takes it out.

Last is Kadabra, so I switch to Sollux. Kadabra is unsurprisingly faster, and uses Future SIght, while I use Curse. It attempts to use another Future Sight, but that one fails. Sollux OHKOs it with a Headbutt, ending the battle.
Luke says… basically the same thing as last time, and leaves, allowing me to step into the Indigo Plateau: the ultimate goal for trainers (also known as the pokemon league HQ).

I heal up the team, then immediately turn around to grind levels for like 8 hours.
  • Calliope passes level 41, learning Aurora Beam over Icy Wind
  • I learn that Ice is neutral to Rock
  • Tully finally finds a Water Stone. I book it all the way back to Johto so I can evolve Dave into a Poliwrath. I’ve left him hanging long enough.
When the team hits level 45 (with the exception of John and Calliope, who are at 46), I decide that it is time to take on the Elite 4… after stocking up on full restores, max potions, and full heals.

First up is Will, the first member of the DK Crew, and a psychic type trainer, despite the fact that his arena has ice in the pits off to the side. Guess he never bothered to change out the arena, huh. Or maybe… nah I don't have time to go into that fan theory, I have 5 battles to procrastinate narrate.

Will sends out Xatu, and I send out Sollux. Xatu outspeeds and hits me with psychic for not a lot of damage. In turn, Surf takes him into the red. The next turn goes the same, although Psychic lowers my Special Defense by one stage, and Surf takes it out.

Exeggutor is next, so I switch to John. Ice Punch brings into the yellow, while it sets up Reflect. The next Ice Punch takes it out.

Jynx is next, so I keep in John. Surf takes off half of her HP, while Jynx lands a Double-Slap for a whopping 9 damage. Another Surf puts an end to that nonsense.

Will brings out a Slowbro, so I do the same for the memes. I outspeed and use Curse, while the enemy uses Amnesia, despite the fact that Slowbro can’t learn that until level 46. Cool. reflect wears off this turn. The next turn, both of us use Curse. I outspeed next turn and use Curse again, while the other hits me with Psychic, leaving me a bit above half health. It uses Curse next turn, and I headbutt it for an… OKish amount of damage. Next turn, I hit it with another headbutt, but he goes for psychic, leaving us both in the yellow. My next headbutt leaves him in the red, and flinches him to boot. One last headbutt takes him out.

Last up is the second Xatu, who uses Psychic before being taken into the red by another Surf. Will uses a max potion, which I think marks the first time in the entire run so far that the AI has used an item, but Surf brings it back down. Xatu hits Sollux again with Psychic, leaving me in the red, but a Surf finishes the battle , and allows Sollux to level up. I replace Curse with Amnesia.

I use a max potion on Sollux before moving on.

Next up is Koga, who’s gotten a promotion within the 3 year timeskip. He tells me that his brain is massive and allows him to bamboozle people with status effects and evasion buffs. He continues to tell me that battles aren’t all about brute force, despite the fact that I brute forced my way through like ¾ of the game so far.

Anyway, first up is a Giant Enemy Spider, against Sollux. Sollux goes first and deletes it from existence with a single Confusion.

Forretress is next, so I keep in Sollux. Sollux goes first again, and uses Surf, taking him into the red. Forretress gets off a layer of Spikes, but another Surf KOs him.

Next is Muk, and I hit the B button on accident, keeping Sollux in instead of switching to Jake. Whoops. Muk outspeeds, and hits a Sludge Bomb, while Confusion knocks off half of its health,and confuses it. Next turn, it hits itself, and confusion takes it out.

Crobat is brought in, so I switch to John. He takes a bit of damage from the Spikes, but luckily it wasn’t too bad. Crobat goes first, and uses Double Team. Oh boy, here we go again. Ice Punch connects anyway though, and brings Crobat into the yellow. Koga then uses a Full Restore, but Ice Punch hits again and chops off a bunch of Crobats HP. Crobat hits a Toxic, but one more Ice Punch takes it down.

Last is Venomoth, and I bring in Karkat. Karkat outspeeds, and a Thrash takes Venomoth to just above the red. Venomoth uses Psychic, and lowers my Special Defense, but not only does it not hurt much, but the next Thrash takes it out, ending the battle.

I use an antidote on John, and move on.

Bruno’s the next Elite 4 member, and sends out Hitmontop. Sollux is sent out on my end. Hitmontop is faster, digging a hole (just one more time until I score this; strike rich on iron, diam-), while I set up an Amnesia. Next turn, Dig hits for almost nothing, while Confusion takes him to 25% HP and confuses him. Next turn, he hits himself, and confusion knocks him out.

Next is Hitmonchan. He outspeeds and nails me with a Thunder Punch for little damage. Sollux takes him down to about a quarter HP with confusion. The next turn goes the same, with Sollux at about half HP, and Hitmonchan fainted.

Next is Hitmonlee, who goes first and uses a Hi-Jump Kick, for about the same damage as everything else in this fight. Confusion shears off about 3 fourths of his health bar. On the next turn, Hitmonlee goes for Double Kick, and Confusion ends him.

Man, I like how all three Hitmon fights went almost exactly the same. Ironic, really. What, dont get it? Think about it for a bit.

Machamp’s up next, so I give Sollux a break and switch to Calliope. I set up a Rain Dance, while Machamp goes for a Cross Chop, taking off about a third of Calliope’s HP. On the next turn, a Surf takes it into the yellow, while Cross Chop deals another third. Another Surf takes out the Machamp.

Last is Onix, and it’s barely able to finish its cry before being taken out by another Surf from Calliope, ending the battle.

Max potions are used on Calliope and Sollux, while Karkat is brought to the front.

Finally, she’s here for you, Karen’s the last member of the Elite 4 crew. She goes off an a tangent about the general goth aesthetic, before finally battling me.

The first matchup is Karkat against Umbreon. Karkat goes first, and Thrash does a lot less than I’d like it to, forcing me to go check Umbreon’s stat spread. I knew that Umbreon was a tanky lad, but sure enough, physical moves are the way to go. Anyway, while a Sand-Attack lowers my accuracy, Thrash takes it into the red on the next turn, and Umbreon deals a bit of damage with Faint Attack. The next Thrash finishes off the Umbreon.

Gengar is up next, so I switch to John. It outspeeds me, but Lick doesn’t paralyze me, allowing a single Earthquake to take it out. John hits level 47, and I have to stop him from learning Screech of all moves.

Karen brings in a Vileplume, but I keep John in. I outspeed, and an Ice Punch Takes it into the yellow. Meanwhile, Vileplume attempts to use Stun Spore, but it fails. Another Ice Punch, and Vileplume is down.

Murkrow sure is a pokemon that exists, huh. John snaps its neck with Ice Punch.

Last is Houndoom. It manages to survive a Surf on red health, although it looks like it would’ve killed on a higher roll. It deals a surprising amount of damage with Crunch, until I check its level and realize that it’s the same level as John. Karen uses a max potion, and another SUrf takes it down to a sliver. This time Karen doesn’t heal, and one Earthquake defeats the Houndoom, and Karen.

Normally I’d be entered into the Hall of Fame,but as it turns out, I have one more opponent.

Lance, the flying type monolocker, managed to beat the Elite 4 just before I did, and now I must face him to gain the title of Champion.

The battle begins. Gyarados versus Gyarados. Karkat outspeeds, and takes the opposing pokemon’s HP down by 50% with Thrash. The returning Flail does little, and the next Thrash Crits, and takes down Lance’s first pokemon.
Next is Dragonite versus Suicune. Aurora Beam takes Dragonite into yellow health, but it paralyzes me with Thunder Wave. Next turn, I realize that I didn’t heal John, and use a max potion on him. In the meantime, Dragonite launches a massive Thunder,taking ME into the yellow with a single blow. Oh how the turn tables. I switch to Jake, who eats the next Thunder like a bowl of Kellogg’s Frosted Mini Wheats. Dragonite goes for a Hyper Beam on the next turn, taking me a bit below half HP, while Strength takes him into the red. Another strength gets rid of him on his government-mandated recharge turn.

Next up is Dragonite versus Feraligatr. John outspeeds, and an Ice Punch takes Dragonite deep into the red. Dragonite goes for a Thunder Wave, but the Anti-AI kicks in and makes the move fail. Lance momentarily forgets how he got to be champion and doesn’t use a full restore, allowing me to take him out with another Ice Punch.

Next is another Dragonite against Feraligatr. John managed to get enough xp to level up again, but this Dragonite is at level 50. John still outspeeds, and lands an Ice Punch for Massive Damage™, while Dragonite lands an Outrage that deals over a third of my health in damage. The next Ice Punch is a critical hit, beating Lance’s final Dragonite.

The next matchup is Charizard versus Feraligatr. Like Karen’s houndoom, Charizard survives a Surf, and lands a Flamethrower for a chunk of damage. A slash ends it.

Last is Aerodactyl versus Feraligatr. Much to my surprise (and horror), Aerodactyl outspeeds, and uses Hyper Beam. I watch John’s health bar tick down, until it finally stops at only 20 HP. One Surf KO’s Aerodactyl, winning me the match.

And just like that, Champion Lance is defeated. The paparazzi arrive, way too late, and Lance escorts me into the Hall of Fame before I can reveal that he killed someone earlier.

The Credits roll, and while the section may be over, the entire run must go on. After all, there are still nerds to fight and water types to catch. So stick around, and watch me conquer all of Kanto

Badges: 8
Pokédex: 26
Time: 42 hr, 58 min.

Lv. 45 Shiny Gyarados, Male (Karkat)
HP: 149
Attack: 140
Defense: 96
Sp. Atk: 76
Sp. Def: 112
Speed: 97

Lv. 45 Tentacruel, Male (Dirk)
HP: 145
Attack: 94
Defense: 88
Sp. Atk: 96
Sp. Def: 132
Speed: 116

Lv. 45 Quagsire, Male (Jake)
HP: 158
Attack: 102
Defense: 100
Sp. Atk: 81
Sp. Def: 81
Speed: 58

Lv. 48 Feraligtr, Male (John)
HP: 166
Attack: 127
Defense: 125
Sp. Atk: 100
Sp. Def: 103
Speed: 104
Slash, Surf, Ice Punch, Earthquake

Lv. 46 Suicune (Calliope)
HP: 165
Attack: 90
Defense: 128
Sp. Def: 116
Speed: 95
Surf, Iron Tail, Rain Dance, Aurora Beam

Lv. 47 Slowbro, Male (Sollux)
HP: 169
Attack: 103
Defense: 126
Sp. Atk: 119
Sp. Def: 100
Speed: 51
Headbutt, Amnesia, Confusion, Surf

• Dave (Lv. 33 Poliwrath, Male)
  • Rufioh (Lv. 20 Eevee, Male)
  • Equius (Lv. 20 Horsea, Male)
  • Roxy (Lv. 20 Staryu)
  • Jade (Lv. 20 Mantine, Female)
  • Feferi (Lv. 20 Corsola, Female)

• E4 said trans rights
  • I cant believe how good slowbro is for the elite four
  • Aww man that aerodactyl couldve killed john on a higher roll i think
  • Oh boy time to delete like half of kanto from existence

Hydrochlorinate

Bard of Mind
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 2, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dark
Pokédex Entry
alright thats enough of not doing this, time to do this.
When I spawn back in, I’m standing outside my house in New Bark. Thank you fast travel, very cool. Taking one step to the left, I am once again called by Professor Elm. How many times is this man going to call me? Instead of answering him, I instead enter his Lab, which is like 3 yards away. Once inside, he gives me a ticket to a ship that will take me to Kanto.

Unfortunately for me, the port is in Olivine City. I still can't use Fly. Yay. I bike over as fast as I can, and good thing too. The ship was about to leave soon. Before I’m even able to make it to my cabin though, an old man accosts me and threatens to kill me and my family if I don’t return his daughter to him.

Well, I guess I’m doing that sidequest then. But that’s not important. After all, I’m on a boat! The Lonely Island would be proud. My time is short though, for as soon as I return the old dude’s daughter to him, the ship docks. Well, that wasn't a very fun cruise.

As I enter Vermilion city, I bring Jake to the front of my party, and take a hard left to challenge the local gym. I clear out all the trainers, but for Lt. Surge, I move John to the front.

Man I sure am glad that I knew the trash can puzzle is broken; I’d hate to have to spend 5 minutes checking each trash can only to talk to the gym guide and have him tell me that I wasted my time.

Anyway, John outspeeds most of his team and one shots them with Earthquake. The Electrode each get off a single Double Team, but Earthquake hits anyway and KOs them as well in one hit. Hooray for the Thunder Badge, and also the achievement for beating Surge without using a pokemon that resists electric moves.

While I’m still in Vermilion, I talk to the Pokemon fan club president, and get a rare candy from him.

Next, I trek up to Saffron, realize the Copycat sidequest isn't available until after the power plant, pick up a focus band from the fighting dojo, and go take on Sabrina’s gym.

Sabrina is another easy fight. Espeon gets off a psychic before going down to two of Karkat’s Thrashes. Mr. Mime tanks a thrash in the yellow, and sets up a Barrier. Thrash ends, but i break through confusion to take out the Mr. Mime with a Critical Bite. Alakazam outspeeds, and sets up a Reflect, and Thrash does a decent amount of damage, though not enough to take it into the yellow. Alakazam lands a big psychic, although Karkat’s decent Special Defense allows him to live on 35 HP. I switch to Sollux, while Sabrina heals with a Hyper Potion up to full. Psychic doesn’t deal a lot of damage, and Surf takes Alakazam down into the yellow. It goes for a Recover though, putting it at almost full HP. Reflect ends that turn, so I go for a headbutt, which deals about the same amount as Surf did. Another Recover and Surf combo leaves Alakazam in the red.The next turn it uses Psychic, leaving me with half health, but leaving it open to get taken down by a final Surf. With that, I’ve now earned the Sou- oh whoops, the Marsh Badge.

Next stop is Cerulean City, although it’s not really a stop, because I immediately head east to Route 9 and the Power Plant. Apparently, some nerd broke the generator that powers most of Kanto, and stole a key part in fixing it. The manager’s fucking pissed about it, and rightfully so. As it turns out though, word from Cerulean is that there’s a shady character hanging around there. What that has to do with a generator part, I have no idea. After all, there is a literal class of trainers in a biker gang.

Making my way back to Cerulean City, I enter the gym, which is completely deserted, save from a single Team Rocket member. He quickly makes his exit. Bye-bye a go-go indeed. I head up to Nugget Bridge, and politely inform him that I completely dismantled the new Rocket uprising. He drops a smoke bomb and runs, probably to some country far to the west.... Or east, for that matter. Look he goes to Unova ok.

Anyway, back in the gym, I fish up the machine part, which miraculously is completely dry and working. Now its back to the power plant, where I exchange the part for a TM for Zap Cannon. Now its back to the Nugget Bridge, where I can proceed to Cerulean Cape. I beat up a conga line of trainers, and ruin Misty's date, because she's been on that thing for like the entire time I’ve been in Kanto. You have a gym to run, nerd.

I move Karkat to the front again, and he thrashes his way through Golduck and half of Quagsire, before I switch him out for Sollux. Sollux finishes off Quagsire with a headbutt, but Starmie decides to be smart and use Recover, so I switch Karkat back in. One turn later and I'm at a third of my HP from a Confuse Ray and Ice Beam. Yikes. I use a Max Potion, but by the time I can take out Starmie, I'm back down to under a third. I change to John to fight Lapras, and it gets taken out with two Earthquakes. That was a lot more trouble than I expected, but I get the Cascade Badge for my troubles. This is also a good place to end the section, and so it will be done.

Badges: 11
Pokédex: 26
Time: 47 hr, 00 min.

Lv. 48 Shiny Gyarados, Male (Karkat)
HP: 42/160
Attack: 150
Defense: 103
Sp. Atk: 82
Sp. Def: 120
Speed: 104

Lv. 48 Tentacruel, Male (Dirk)
HP: 155/155
Attack: 101
Defense: 94
Sp. Atk: 103
Sp. Def: 142
Speed: 125

Lv. 47 Quagsire, Male (Jake)
HP: 148/165
Attack: 106
Defense: 105
Sp. Atk: 84
Sp. Def: 84
Speed: 61

Lv. 50 Feraligtr, Male (John)
HP: 173/173
Attack: 134
Defense: 130
Sp. Atk: 104
Sp. Def: 108
Speed: 109
Slash, Surf, Ice Punch, Earthquake

Lv. 46 Suicune (Calliope)
HP: 165/165
Attack: 90
Defense: 128
Sp. Def: 116
Speed: 95

Lv. 49 Slowbro, Male (Sollux)
HP: 62/176
Defense: 132
Sp. Atk: 124
Sp. Def: 104
Speed: 54
Headbutt, Amnesia, Confusion, Surf

• Roxy (Lv. 20 Staryu)

• Man if misty was this difficult im more scared of blue now
  • These kanto gym acheivements arent really balanced towards gen 2 huh.

Hydrochlorinate

Bard of Mind
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 2, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dark
Pokédex Entry
After healing up in Cerulean city, I go back south to Saffron, where I break into someone’s house and offer to return their stolen goods for a price. Even further south, in Vermillion, I enter the Pokemon Fan Club, mug some dude for his worn down clefairy doll, and begin to fish directly outside of the building to assert dominance. The first thing I fish up is a shellder, but none of my pokemon are able to weaken it without killing it, so I just chuck ultra balls at him. On my third try I successfully make the capture, and name him Kankri.

Lv. 20 Shellder, Male
Max HP: 45
Attack: 35
Defense: 46
Sp. Atk: 29

After this little detour, I return the Pokedoll to Copycat in exchange for a magnet train pass, so I no longer have to wait like an entire week before going back to Kanto. Then, I head East to Lavender Town, where I stop by the Radio Tower and get the Kanto Radio Card.

Next, I go west to Celadon City, and take on the Gym there. I pass by Eusine, and he asks me if I’ve caught any of the other legendary beasts, despite the fact that they aren’t water types. I give him a stare, and he awkwardly backs off. The fight with Erika goes smoothly, as I use an X attack on Dirk and spam Acid until I win. Hoo-ray.

After that, I take cycling road down to Fuschia City, before taking the Cycling Road back up to Celadon, and head to Saffron. I get the TM for Psychic, and teach it to Sollux over confusion. I then take the Magnet Train back to Kanto and go all the way back to Mahogany town in order to pick up the TM for sludge bomb, which I didn’t realize existed in this gen until I decided to look up the TM list. That probably would’ve come in handy for Erika. I teach it to Dirk over Acid. Then, I go back to Goldenrod, and use my massive fortune to purchase 4k coins. Outside the Game corner, I give them all to a dude so that he can teach John Ice Beam over Ice Punch.

Now it’s back through the magnet train and Celedon to Fuschia City. Here, literally everyone is dressed like Janine, the gym leader. Oh no.

Anyway we pull a Sabrina and shred through the gym with Sollux’s Psychic. Yay. Heading East, I bike along Silence Bridge and grab the Super Rod, before going west onto route 11, and waking up the sleeping Snorlax. At this point I realize that I should’ve taught thief to someone in order to get the leftovers but whatever. Next, I head through diglett’s cave and north to Pewter City. Here, I use John and spam Earthquake until I get the Boulder Badge.

Next, I ride south to Pallet town. Professor Oak rates my pokedex a 2/10 too much water, and sends me on my down down to Cinnabar Island, which is in ruins from a volcanic eruption. I find some nerd lurking about, and it turns out that he’s a Gym Leader. Huh. Anyway he teleports to Viridian city, while I go east to the Seafoam Islands. Instead of the generic cave theme playing when I enter, the Gym theme plays instead. An old man stands at the end of the cave, and I check my bag to see if I have any Burn Heals. When it turns out I don’t, I get John to use Earthquake and collapse the cave on him.

With that out of the way It’s time to fight Blu- oh wait there’s still an optional rival fight that I should take care of for EXP. West of Pewter City lies Mt. Moon, and the moment I step inside, I am noticed by Luke, who challenges me to another battle.

I one shot his entire team with John, who at this point has gained enough XP to get to level 60. Now it’s time to fight Blue. Floating over the Mega Block floor (The Pokemon League was unable to be sponsored by LEGO so they had to make do) I challenge him, and he seems surprised that I managed to get the other 7 Kanto badges. He leads with Pidgeot, and I lead with John. John goes first and brings Pidgeot into the Red with Ice Beam. Pidgeot uses Mirror Move, and deals almost nothing with the reflected Ice Beam. I finish it off with Slash.

Next up is Exeggutor, who gets taken into the deep yellow by another Ice Beam. He spends his turn charging up a Solar Beam, so next turn slash KO’s him.

Alakazam is sent out, but John outspeeds, and Alakazam goes down like a house of cards in an Earthquake.

Gyarados is next, and he tanks an Ice Beam while I tank his returning Hyper Beam. Slash brings him into the yellow as he recharges. My next Slash is a critical hit, so the Gyarados is knocked out.

Blue sends out Arcanine next, but John OHKO’s him with a Surf. The same happens to Rhydon, so I win the match and am awarded the Earth Badge.

With all 8 Kanto badges, Professor Oak pulls some strings and allows me to enter Mt. Silver.

what the fuck why is it dark in here i thought i didnt need flash

Anyway, I manage to fumble my way to the back of the cave, and give all 4 of my rare candies to John, putting him at level 66.

Alright NGL i used Pokemon Showdown to simulate this battle to see if I could win, and it just boils down to me not getting crit by anything. Lets see if I can pull it off on actual hardware.

Red’s first pokemon is his level 83 Pikachu, so I send out my level 48 Quagsire. What is he gonna do, Quick attack me? He does, and it deals almost nothing because it’s Quick Attack. Earthquake, on the other hand, one shots the highest level pokemon in the game. You tried.

Red has good OKish AI though, so his next pokemon is Venusaur. I switch Jake out for Dirk. Venusaur goes first and uses Sunny Day, despite the fact that we’re inside the deepest point of Mt. Silver and thus the sunlight probably wouldn’t reach us. Dirk uses Whirlpool for the chip damage. The next turn, Solarbeam bonks me all the way down to 40 HP, while Sludge Bomb does some damage to him. I heal up with a max potion, but get hit with another Solarbeam. Another turn passes exactly the same, but the artificial sunlight fades, which means after the next max potion I use, Venusaur has to charge up a Solarbeam. Whirlpool also goes away this turn. Solarbeam knocks me back down, and I set up another Whirlpool. I Max potion up again, and he charges another laser. After the next beam comes out, the Sludge Bomb and Whirlpool combination leave him almost dead. As I heal up and he charges, Whirlpool takes him to just above 0. Dang, if I had gotten better damage rolls… After the next Solarbeam comes out, Venusaur goes down to a Cut, giving Dirk enough EXP to level up to 51. Nice.

Next out is Espeon, who is matched up against Sollux. Espeon goes for Psychic turn 1 for a decent chunk of damage and a special defense drop, while I use Amnesia. The next turn goes the same, prompting me to use a full restore, having run out of max potions. Espeon lands another psychic. The next turn is the same as before, with another Psychic and another Amnesia, putting me at a +5 special defense, or a x3.5. On the next turn, Espeon sets up Reflect, which is unfortunate for me, as I went for a Headbutt. The next two turns consist of Espeon using Swift, and I Surf. I use a full restore on the next turn, allowing Espeon to get off 2 Swifts in a row before a final Surf takes it out.

Red brings out Snorlax next, so I switch to John. Snorlax only has physical attacks, so he’d likely delete Sollux from existence. Reflect also ends on that turn. I use an X attack on John, while Snorlax sets up Amnesia. On the next turn, Earthquake crits for massive damage, bringing Snorlax down to the red. It’s retaliating Body Slam takes off about a fourth of my HP. The next earthquake finishes it off. Hope begins to bubble up inside me. I might be able to do this

Next up is Blastoise, and I keep John in. I use a full restore for safety, while Blastoise uses Surf for less damage than Body Slam did. I use Earthquake for less than half of its HP, while it goes for another Surf. I Earthquake it into the red, but it Surfs me into the yellow. My next Earthquake KOs it.

After Blastoise comes THE ‘ZARD. I full restore again, and it uses Flamethrower for about the same damage as the Surf. As it turns out the ‘zard is faster than me, using another Flamethrower to take me down to half HP. A Surf takes it into the yellow. On the next turn, Flamethrower takes me down to 70 HP, but my Surf connects, and finishes the battle.

With that, I’ve beaten Red, the secret final boss of Gen 2. This also serves as the end to…..

Barbecue Sauce is just Spicy Water
A Crystal Monolocke

Badges: 16
Pokédex: 27
Pokémon Acquisitions: 18
Time: 51 hr, 50 min.
Lv. 48 Quagsire, Male (Jake)
HP: 168
Attack: 109
Defense: 108
Sp. Atk: 87
Sp. Def: 87
Speed: 62

Lv. 51 Tentacruel, Male (Dirk)
HP: 165
Defense: 100
Sp. Atk: 111
Sp. Def: 151
Speed: 133
Surf, Sludge Bomb, Whirlpool, Cut

Lv. 51 Slowbro, Male (Sollux)
HP: 183
Attack: 113
Defense: 138
Sp. Atk: 130
Sp. Def: 110
Speed: 56
Headbutt, Amnesia, Psychic, Surf

Lv. 66 Feraligtr, Male (John)
HP: 229
Attack: 180
Defense: 174
Sp. Atk: 142
Sp. Def: 148
Speed: 146
Slash, Surf, Ice Beam, Earthquake

Lv. 47 Suicune (Calliope)
HP: 169 (nice)
Attack: 92
Defense: 131
Sp. Atk: 96
Sp. Def: 119
Speed: 97

Lv. 48 Shiny Gyarados, Male (Karkat)
HP: 160
Attack: 150
Defense: 103
Sp. Atk: 82
Sp. Def: 120
Speed: 105
  • Roxy (Lv. 20 Staryu)
  • Kankri (Lv. 20 Shellder, Male)

• Man I’m glad red decided not to heal, otherwise this fight would have been much longer
  • For all the moves to come in clutch this run I was not expecting it to be whirlpool.
  • Usually I just sweep red with a level 70 feraligatr so i was worried when i only came up to level 66, but i decided not to turn back anyway. It made it more Interesting™ anyway, and I actually had to turn on my brain for once.
  • Haha this run had 10 parts I swear that wasn't planned
  • I can't believe I only got a single water stone this entire run
  • So that’s Pokemon crystal using only water types. Some parts were a lot harder than I expected, and others were way easier. I don’t really have much else to say other than that I’m glad I didn’t wipe on my first nuzlocke on this site.
  • Next time on “Hydro does a thing” I have like 4 different ideas for a nuzlocke. Maybe i'll do a strawpoll to see what y’all want...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)