• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Feature team invited you to check out the Hidden Gem Showcase! Give a little love to your favorite runs you think more people should know about!
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Written Story Galar General Mon Can't Look Back: A Pokémon Sword Storylocke

Thread Description
It’s a written log with plot, expect game references. Updating erratically.

KitkatKK2

Derp
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon can often be found alone in her room writing or reading. This is because she is an introvert who doesn’t feel like going outside today.
Hi! This is my first Nuzlocke that I recorded. I'm not the best writer, but I hope you can enjoy this nonetheless. In this run, beyond the regular rules, there's an extra rule that'll make it harder, and also pretty fun to write.
1. If a Pokemon faints, it cannot be used anymore, and must be permanently boxed. (Notice that I did not say die. This is intentional.)
2. I can only catch the first Pokemon on each route. On routes that have them, I will ONLY catch ! bubbles. In places that do not, I will pick and choose for Pokemon I think will be beneficial to either the run, or the story. ('Cause, hey, this is my first recorded run)
3. I MUST nickname every Pokemon. If I do not, it cannot be used until the next Pokemon Center, where I can give it a name.
4. I will be playing on set battle style.
5. Here is where it gets interesting. After every Gym Badge, I will switch out my team for another one started after Milo. The only remaining team member after each switch will be the starter.

Chapters will be pretty short and compressed, but I hope to update more often to counteract it.
Anyway, here's the prologue, although it’s even shorter than the rest of the chapters.

Ah, the wonders of modern technology. With video recording, I can watch a match that took place across the region in Wyndon last week. As I was doing that, my friend Hop walked into the room. Ya hear that? Friend. Not love interest, not clingy annoying neighbor, FRIEND. Anyway, he came in, and started watching over my shoulder.
“Is that your flashy new phone, Kay?”
“Yeah.”
“Cmon, you know the only real way to cheer on Leon is with his Charizard pose!”
“Speaking of Leon, wasn’t he coming here today?
“Oh, yeah! That’s why I came! Grab your bag, and let’s go to my house to see if he’s there!” Hop walked away.
I did as Hop asked, and grabbed my mom’s old bag, with the hat sitting next to it for good measure. Of course, instead of walking ahead of me, Hop was waiting outside. “You could’ve gone ahead,” I said.
“Nah!”
We walked together to Hop’s house. His mom was in the kitchen, where she looked to be cooking something for the family to eat when Leon got there. “Oh hello Kay! Leon isn’t here yet. He would’ve just arrived at Wedgehurst Station.”
I ran out ahead of Hop. I was already on Route One by the time he caught up.
“Don’t go in the tall grass! You don’t have a Pokémon!”
“Ok, ok. I won’t!” I wholeheartedly intended to go in the grass when Hop wasn’t looking. I made sure Hop wasn’t looking at me, then slowly backed into the grass.
Somehow, Hop saw me and yelled “No going into the tall grass for you without a Pokémon!”
I decided to gloss over that, and crossed the border into Wedgehurst.
Lo and behold, there was Leon. He was talking to a crowd. Something about getting strong and challenging him to the Champion title. Hop called him over.
“Oh, my number one fan has come to pick me up!” he said loudly. After coming over, he continued “And this must be Kay! Hop has told me all about you!”
“Yeah.” I smiled.
“Anyway,” Leon said, “I brought a gift for you two. Come to our backyard and I’ll show it to you.”
As one might expect, we ran back to Hop’s house as fast as our legs allowed. Leon took some time to catch up.
“Okay, spill it,” Hop said excitedly. “What did you get us?”
Leon smiled. “Ok,ok! The gift I got you is...”
And that’s the prologue! The gift is a starter. Im not going to make it a big thing.

KitkatKK2

Derp
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon can often be found alone in her room writing or reading. This is because she is an introvert who doesn’t feel like going outside today.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok so ha, ha. It’s been more than a month. Wow did I not know how having two projects on at once and prioritizing the other one would slow this down so much. Working on it.

KitkatKK2

Derp
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Leon tossed up three Pokéballs, which, unsurprisingly, contained three Pokémon. I picked the Grookey because of a completely logical and analytical decision. Well, maybe I let a little emotion in. Okay, a lot of emotion. I couldn’t resist the little hair stick! I named him Allegro, which means “Play at a cheerful and bright tempo.” I later learned he was too calm for that nickname, but I didn’t feel like going to the Name Rater to change it. That night was fun. We had a barbeque at Hop’s house, and I went home that night happy.
Happy, though, does not mean “getting sleep.”
Yeah.
The next day, I walked out of my house to, guess who, Hop!
“Hey! You want a battle?” He asked.
“No…” I replied sleepily. “But with you, I suppose I have no choice.”
He nodded. “Go get yourself ready, I’ll be waiting!”
A few moments later, I came back, hairbrush in hand, my brown hair now halfway presentable. I walked over to where Hop still was, and past him to the battlefield near his house. “Allegro, go!” I said cheerfully, now having worked myself up to the idea of a battle. Grookey came out.
Hop ran to the other side without addressing me, and sent out his Wooloo. “Wooloo, use Tackle!”
Wooloo obeyed.
I was too busy not paying attention to realize that Allegro had gotten hit. I absently called out for it to use Scratch, but it couldn’t because it had been hit a few times and was already knocked out.
I ran up to it. “Is Allegro OK? Did Wooloo kill it?!”
“Relax! It’s a Pokemon battle! You just need to patch it up at the Pokemon center. Your mom probably has a couple healing items, if you wanted to go home.”
“Okay,” I quickly ran home, Hop trailing slightly behind.
My house has a gate to the Slumbering Weald, which, at the time, I had never been through. There was a Wooloo bashing the gate.
“You think it’ll be okay?” I asked.
“Yeah, not like it’s gonna get through.”
“Yeah…” (I call this foreshadowing.)
After Allegro had a quick rest, Hop and I walked out.
Of course, the Wooloo had broken through.
“You think we should save it?” Hop asked.
“I don’t know…” I replied, carefully considering the fact that we were quite explicitly forbidden to go into the Slumbering Weald.
Hop ran through the gate anyway, with me slowly trailing after.
The place was foggy, with trees surrounding me, like I was to be their next victim.
Uneasily, I stepped through the forest. I was startled by a couple of wild Pokemon. I finally saw Hop.
It was getting foggier and foggier and my hands were getting more and more fidgety from nerves.
Then, Hop addressed me. “I can barely see my hands in front of my face!”
“Yeah, same.”
Suddenly, a howl pierced the sky.
In front of me was a blue Pokemon I didn’t recognize. I sent out Allegro, even though I knew pretty well what was about to happen.
“Uh, Branch Poke?”
I knew this Pokemon(?) was too strong for me, but I expected to still do something.
But, nothing happened. The branch seemed to go right through.
I called off every move Allegro knew, which was, in fairness, three, as the fog got even thicker.
Eventually, I couldn’t even see where Hop was, much less a tiny Grookey.
I heard another howl, and the fog covered my entire vision. In my last moment of consciousness, I felt myself collapse.

Hey, two months later and here we are! Yeah, the Grookey was Calm. Unfortunate nature, but I take what I get.
I didn't actually lose the first battle ingame, I just decided to take some creative liberty for, y'know, foreshadowing. The reason I ended on the Zacian encounter is because this is, in this locke, a very pivotal story moment. You'll see.

Ymir

Snorlax is my mood
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Psychic
  3. Steel
I think the main problem for me, having limited abilities to describe exactly what it is that I specifically like about someone's written work is that I always stumble around my words trying to not make remarks that are way too general or comprise too little of my thoughts on the whole thing. But I love this run. I don't know what it is about it, but the storytelling is brimming with personality, and all of it seems purposeful and so attention calling, like, I don't know if it is but I'm always second guessing with all the skips, and it feels like Kay has so much personality she's literally dragging the narration through the floor like a kid counting every object atop a windowsill, or something similarly ambiguous that explains why I like this run so much. Pretty much that. This is awesome.

KitkatKK2

Derp
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
And look, a double update because executive dysfunction works both ways!
@Ymir Thanks! I hope I can continue that for you!
I woke up back at the entrance to the Slumbering Weald. I heard Leon yelling at Hop.
“Kay told you not to go in, yet you did anyway! And now she’s unconscious, your leg is hurt, and you both had me worried sick!”
“Leon, it’s just a scratch!”
“That’s nice to hear,” he said, with both irony and genuine relief.
“And besides, we only got hurt because of that crazy Pokemon!”
“Wait, what?”
“Yeah, Kay’s moves passed right through it.”
“I wonder… could the fearsome Pokemon that lives in the Slumbering Weald-? Nevermind.”
I sat up. “What happened to that Wooloo, anyway?”
“Oh! Kay!” Hop looked a bit startled. “You’re awake!”
“Have been for almost 2 minutes now.”
“The Wooloo is fine.” Leon gestured toward his Charizard, who was looking at the Wooloo intently.
“What’s this band?” I asked, looking at my arm. It now had a white band on it, with pink stripes running around it.
“Yeah, actually... Now that you mention it, they look like Dynamax bands!” Hop said the last bit excitedly.
“Where do you think they came from?”
Leon thought for a moment, and replied “Maybe that Pokemon is more benevolent than it seems.”
Hop looked at me. “Even if we did get an earful from Lee, it was worth it!”
“Maybe to you!
“Oh, whatever. Go tell your mom we’re heading out.”
“Where to?”
“To get our Pokedexes. And some Pokemon on the way!”
Mom was eager to let me go. As far as I could tell, she also slipped some Pokeballs into my bag.
On Route 1, I decided I would make use of a couple. The first thing I found was a Caterpie. I threw a Pokeball and with a satisfying *click* it was caught. I named it Glitch, because, well, it’s a bug. Bug? Glitch? Yeah, I’m aware I’m a nerd.
I next found a Wooloo, which I knew eventually evolved into Dubwool, which would be great. I reached into my bag for a Pokeball. When I pulled it out, I tried to throw it. But it wouldn’t leave my hand. I dropped it back into my bag and tried another one, to no avail. I frowned, and had Allegro knock it out, for the experience.
The incident still on my mind, I walked through Wedgehurst and toward the lab, where Hop had told me we would get Pokedexes.
As I walked up, Leon did too.
Inside the lab, there was a girl.
“Are you Professor Magnolia?” I asked.
“No, that’s Sonia. What can I say about her? Well, I like her cooking.”
“Leon! Is that any way to introduce me? We were rivals back when Leon was on his Pokemon journey.”
I laughed. “I’m here for a Pokedex. Hop should show up soon too.”
“Ok!” Sonia agreed. “You have a Rotom Phone, right?”
“Yeah.” I handed it to her.
A moment later, she handed it back. “You can now use the Pokedex!”
“Thanks!” I left the lab. Outside, some guy handed me a Potion, which I cautiously threw away, because random people giving me healing items is really weird.
Hop was there too, I guess. He told me to go to Professor Magnolia’s house at the end of Route 2.
And so I did. I walked onto the bridge to Route 2. There, I encountered a Seedot. I pulled out a ball, hoping that it would work. It did.
So, there was Mighty Oak. Next, I ran into a Hoothoot. The Pokeball didn’t work. At the time, I didn’t see the pattern. I just moved on.
There were two trainers in the way of Magnolia’s house, but I defeated them easily with Allegro and Glitch.
Now that I was at Magnolia’s house, I sat down, waiting to see what crazy thing came next.
Tada! We finally have the "locke" part of Storylocke in play! I'm excited to show you how I handle deaths next time! (mwahahaha)

Last edited:

SilverDoe

Kanto League Champion
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
"We had a barbeque at Hop’s house, and I went home that night happy.
Happy, though, does not mean “getting sleep.”
Yeah."

This part made me laugh haha, too true.

Grookey is definitely cute and a great starter choice! I like Allegro already.

I liked the ending to Chapter 1: "Eventually, I couldn’t even see where Hop was, much less a tiny Grookey.
I heard another howl, and the fog covered my entire vision. In my last moment of consciousness, I felt myself collapse." This sounded really nice.

I like Glitch as a nickname for a caterpie, nerdy or not. Mighty Oak the Seedot is also a great name. You're 3 for 3 on great nicknames as far as I'm concerned.

"Now that I was at Magnolia house, I sat down, waiting to see what crazy thing came next." This should be fun to see! (Unless it involves that *other* base nuzlocke rule.)

You have a nice start here. It's following along the gameplay pretty closely so far, but the personality and description touches are fun to see! Your additional rule should make things interesting too; I'm curious about how that goes.

Ymir

Snorlax is my mood
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Psychic
  3. Steel
Okay, the locke translating into the story as a sort of anormality does make me wary of how the other rules fit, especially with that fifth rule -- which I had just ignored initially and now am taking into consideration more seriously -- so, yes, I am scared for whatever potential event unfolds in the near future that introduces the other scary rule. You know, that one.

"Outside, some guy handed me a Potion, which I cautiously threw away, because random people giving me healing items is really weird. Hop was there too, I guess." I don't know why I like this, but Hop just casually phasing in and out of being a character with dialogue and being a footnote according to Kay's mood is very fun to me.

KitkatKK2

Derp
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
not me posting three times in 2 days
@SilverDoe Thanks! That *other* rule will come into play soon... >:)
@Ymir The fifth rule won't come into play for a couple chapters, but the FIRST rule... like I said in the last reply... >:). Hop is only a character worth discussing sometimes for Kay, just like I only want to talk to people sometimes.
Soon, Hop arrived, Leon along with him. I stood up, finally done with boredom. We went inside. There, Hop and Leon had a conversation about something like “Gym challenge” and “Show me what you’ve got”. I don’t know, I wasn’t really paying attention.
“You ready for our battle?” Hop asked
I gathered from that statement, that we were going to have a battle. “You’re on!”
“Alright!”
Thankfully, the battlefield was directly outside the house.
Hop sent out Wooloo, as I sent out Mighty Oak. Mighty Oak used Tackle, as Wooloo used Defense Curl. It continued using Defense Curl. The battle turned into a war of attrition.
Eventually, Wooloo, now using Tackle, fainted.
Next up was Sobble. I used Absorb and took a Water Gun. Absorb drained away a little bit of health every turn, but Water Gun was doing little enough to justify it.
It got boring.
Just as I was about to KO the Sobble, it used Pound. Mighty Oak’s HP fell like a Golem dropped off a mountain. The Golem in question, though, had Sturdy.
By sheer luck, Mighty Oak’s health was left at 1. Absorb landed perfectly, and secured the Sobble falling.
Next up was Rookidee. I had two grass types and a bug type. Against Hop’s flying type, I didn’t know if I could secure a win. I switched into Grookey, and used Scratch. Rookidee’s Pecks were doing decent damage. But I had a level advantage, which was all I needed. Rookidee fell, and I was done.
Hop shrugged. “Guess that makes us even. I’ll win next time, though!”
“Sure you will,” I said ironically, even knowing I needed a counter for Rookidee.
“Ok, Kay. I’ll still beat you to the train station! And how ‘bout we see who can catch the most Pokemon on the way?
I started running before Hop could. On the way, I tried to catch another Pokemon on Route 2, but again, the Pokeballs didn’t work.
I KOed it with Glitch for the EXP. Level 7. I knew that Glitch was about to evolve, so I let it happen, and a lot of blue glowy shapeshifting later, I had a Metapod.
Inexplicably (well, it could maybe be explained by waiting around for Glitch to evolve via blue glowy shapeshifting), Hop beat me to the station. Before we got onto the train, our mothers gave us camping sets, which I assured them I would make thorough use of. (I was lying.)
The train was supposed to take us directly to Motostoke Station, but a VERY convenient flock of Wooloo stopped our path, just as Hop was detailing the Wild Area.
The train stopped in the Wild Area Station, which was, again, very convenient. Almost like a plot device in fiction. I shrugged it off, and left.
Sonia showed up, for some reason. She detailed how Professor Magnolia basically told her to get a life. She gave me a Box Link, and left.
Eager to catch some Pokemon, I left Hop behind, and wandered out on my own. I encountered a Pokemon. A Joltik. An electric type would be good against Nessa, I thought, and sent out Allegro to weaken it.
The thing was, though, Joltik is not a pure electric type. It is also a bug type. I didn’t think about this. It had Bug Bite.
I told Allegro to use Scratch, which did about a quarter.
It used Bug Bite.
Allegro took about half, which was not a safe range. If the next Bug Bite was a critical hit, or even if it randomly decided Hey, let’s do some high damage to screw Kay over, Allegro was as good as fainted. So I sent in Glitch. I used Harden. It used Bug Bite, doing a safe range. After 2 more boosts, Bug Bite was doing very little damage, so I figured it was safe to use Tackle. Just as I said “Glitch, use Ta-”, the Joltik did something that I failed to consider.
The wild Joltik used Electroweb. A CRITICAL HIT. Glitch fainted.
Electroweb is special, so even if my boosts were in effect (they weren’t, due to the critical), my poor Glitch would have been lost.
This could be likened to another Golem being dropped off a cliff. This one, unfortunately, must have had Rock Head.
I withdrew it and ran, figuring that I would come back for another Joltik once Glitch was healed. Little did I know…
First death of the run, although KAY doesn't know it yet. Yeah, the main workaround for my "who wants to write death, let's write handwavy magic" mindset is Pokeballs just deciding sometimes not to work by Zacian's now much more malevolent power. I mean, it knocked out the player and Hop in the vanilla game, who's to say it can't have somewhat... unexpected consequences for the two of them. (yes, including hop, you'll find out later.)

Last edited:

KitkatKK2

Derp
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Ok fun fact: I completely forgot to include the wishing stars. We’re going to retcon them into chapter 2, so edited version of ch2 is abound.

KitkatKK2

Derp
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
You might now be wondering, What happened to Glitch? Or you might not be. I got to the train station, where there was a Lady who offered to heal my Pokemon. And so she did. I walked back out, hoping I could catch another Joltik. I walked around with Allegro looking for one. Eventually, I found one, and I tried to send out Glitch.
Once again, the Pokeball wouldn’t leave my hand. I considered if everything I owned was malfunctioning, but it seemed to work fine in all but a few situations. I put Glitch back in my bag, and sent out Allegro. I tried to throw a Pokeball, but of course not. I ran away, not wanting a repeat of the last time I encountered a Joltik.
I walked peacefully through the Wild Area, approaching a lake.
There, I encountered a Stufful. This time, whatever stupid force was controlling my life now decided to let my Pokeballs work. I captured the Stufful and named it Theo, after… I don’t remember. All I know is I have a bear named Theo in my box and it’s great.
The rest of the trek was uneventful, though it took a few hours due to me getting distracted by every other piece of grass.
I arrived in Motostoke at almost the stroke of midnight. I put my Pokemon in the Pokemon Center quickly, trying Glitch again. The Metapod still wouldn’t come out. Bye, bye, concept of ever having a Butterfree.
Sonia approved me as I was leaving. “Hi, Kay!”
“Hello,” I said, with little enthusiasm, because I was tired and wanted to go to sleep at that very moment.
“Have you registered yourself for the Gym Challenge yet? I heard Leon endorsed you!”
“Yep. Leon endorsed me. But is there any chance I can do this tomorrow?”
“Unfortunately, the registration closes tonight. You have…” She checked her watch. “20 minutes. Better get moving!”
“What about Hop?” I asked.
“He came by at about 9.”
“Thanks, Sonia! Can’t talk anymore!”
I ran, thinking about how Hop managed to get through the Wild Area in less than an hour. We stopped at 8:05. Ok, it’s probably my fault, but...
I registered myself as number 404 at the stadium, because there was definitely some sort of error going on with my life right now.
I was asked if I needed walked to the inn, which I rejected because I could handle myself walking 10 meters, thank you very much.
I tried to check in, but there were some people there I didn’t think were Gym Challengers.
“Hey, can I please check in?” I asked them.
For some Arceus-forsaken reason, even at 11:55, they were still yelling their loudest, as if 80% of the people in this hotel weren’t asleep already. “NO!
“Ugh, fine. If I battle you, will you go away?”
They said nothing. So I sent out Mighty Oak. They were annoying, but not a challenge.
A girl approached the (now almost scared-looking) people, but turned to me without saying anything to them. "Sorry about them. They like to cheer for me, which I appreciate, but sometimes they go a bit far. I'm Marnie."
"Kay."
"Nice to meet you. 'Spose I'll see you round." She walked away.
After that, the receptionist tried to thank me.
I stopped her. “Just get me a room.”
And so she did. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I fell asleep.
The next morning, I woke up at about 9:00. The opening ceremony was scheduled for 9:30.
I got dressed and ready quickly. Again, I ran to make it.
When I arrived at the stadium about 10 minutes before the ceremony, I was given a uniform with the number I had only said about 10 hours ago. I threw it on, and walked out onto the pitch.
The battlefield was breathtaking. The lights were so bright, I felt like I could get sunburned. The screen on the wall was bigger than a Dynamaxed Wailord. The stands were filled with people.
I was surrounded by other Gym Challengers looking just as awed as me.
Suddenly, the real ceremony started. 7 Gym Leaders stepped out. A voice louder than a Guzzlord screaming came from the speaker.
It introduced me to each one. I knew them all, though, so I wasn’t paying a whole lot of attention.
One Gym Leader was strangely absent. Piers. I passed it off as simply not being able to attend and left the stadium.
Hop approached me afterward. “Wasn’t that amazing? Being out on the pitch for the first time…”
I nodded along cheerfully.
“Anyway, we should head out onto Route 3,” he said.
“Yeah!” I exclaimed, and ran off ahead of him.
I considered making two jokes this chapter that I didn't make in the final version, one because I couldn't fit it in, the other for plot hole reasons: 1. Kay using her camping set in the middle of the hotel lobby just because she didn't want to deal with Team Yell. 2. A joke about the cutscene skipping option and the opening ceremony.
A warning: This is where the nicknames go downhill significantly.

KitkatKK2

Derp
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
On Route 3, I found a Mudbray. Quickly, I threw a Pokeball, hoping it could be useful later on. I named him the perfectly sensible donk boi. No capitals. Just donk boi.
I was challenged by a girl who asked me if I had seen the opening ceremony. I said yes, but internally, I said Lady, I was part of it! She had a Vulpix, which went down in a little less than a minute of Mighty Oak using Rollout.
I casually strolled down the Route, confident in my skill.
A girl of about 8 approached me. “I’m studying foreign languages, computers, and Pokemon! I wanna battle you!”
I guessed she was on a school assignment to challenge trainers. “Ok! What’s your name?”
“I’m Hannah! And this is Pancham!” She sent out, you guessed it, a Pancham.
I sent in Allegro, because Mighty Oak had taken a lot of damage, and I was guessing that the pattern with Glitch would hold if he fainted.
“Pancham, use Circle Throw!” Hannah called, before I could do anything.
It hit Allegro, doing only a little damage.
Allegro was recalled into my Pokeball. For a second, I thought my Pokeballs were malfunctioning in the middle of the battle, but Circle Throw will do that to you. In came Seedot.
The next thing I did was not Hannah’s fault, but I am blaming her for it because she deserves blame for everything. I used Rollout, thinking it would KO because I was a few levels higher.
It didn’t. Pancham used Circle Throw after I moved.
Mighty Oak fainted.
I sent out Allegro, finishing off the battle.
I ran away before Hannah could say anything, to try to heal Mighty Oak. I knew it was a worthless effort.
I tried to send it out, but the Pokeball didn’t work. What did I think would happen?
I went back to where I was, slowly and almost crying. With Glitch, I hadn’t had much time to get attached. But Mighty Oak had more time. Not by much, but I get attached to things I like pretty quickly. There was one more trainer along the way, easily defeated by the attacks I half-heartedly called off.
I suddenly realized that I only had Allegro and the donk boi I had kinda forgotten existed in my party. I accessed my PC box and brought out Theo.
Still, that was only three. I headed to the Wild Area and at East Lake Axwell, I caught a Krabby and named her Cranky because… Krabby? Crabby? You get it.
So now I had 4 Pokemon. Just as I was about to walk into Galar mine 1, Sonia showed up. She asked where Hop was (as far as I knew, he had gone ahead of me), and gave me an escape rope, and a few revives which were, as long as my Pokeballs kept doing what they were doing, useless, because reviving a Pokemon’s HP is worth nothing when the ball won’t open.
The escape rope was also somewhat useless, as the mines were quite linear.
I nodded, and sprinted into the mine. As soon as I did, I ran into a Rolycoly. I named it Zoom because it has wheels.
More like a single wheel.
But eh.
I went to the end of the tunnel, hoping to enter Turrfield, but there was a boy I didn’t recognize standing in the way. He seemed jerky, so I doubted I would be able to ask to go around.
“Hello?” I asked him.
“Oh, another weakling to defeat.”
“Yep. A jerk,” I whispered to myself.
“I’m Bede, not that you needed to know that.”
“Yeah, can we just get this battle over with?”
“Sure.” He sent out a Solosis. I sent out Cranky.
“Use Water Gun!” I yelled. My Krabby obeyed.
Solosis looked only a little bit hurt.
It used Confusion, doing a decent amount.
I used Water Gun again. Now, Solosis was hurt badly.
Endeavor. That put Cranky’s health down to almost 0.
I thought Cranky could KO the Solosis, but the Water Gun did disappointingly little.
Solosis used Confusion. Cranky fainted!
Just my luck. Just my luck that this Jerkface Supreme™ would effectively KILL one pof my Pokemon because Water Gun did low damage. And right after Mighty Oak, too.
I recalled it bitterly and sent out donk boi. My commands were blunt and angry from then on, and I fainted his Gothita and Hattena with little issue.
Bede didn’t like that. “Well, now I know your strategy, so… if I ever face you in an official match, I’ll be sure to win!”
Keep telling yourself that, bud.
I pushed him aside, probably lowering myself close to his level in the process, and walked out. Outside was a girl, who offered to heal my Pokemon as I headed into… not Turrfield.
It was Route 4.
Well, I guess the gym battle is going to happen less fast than expected.
At least less fast than I expected.
Welp. Chapter 5 seems to be "The chapter of preventable deaths"
Oh well. Kay still has a bit of a trek before we can REALLY get to the gym city. and then.......
and then you get to see rule 5 in action, and how the story throws another curveball into Kay's life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread