• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Johto Written Log Mature Commentary Other Adventure Can you beat Soul Silver with JUST a Cacturne?

Thread Description
Clickbait lul

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting

Hello everyone! So anyone who reads my statuses knows that I lost my second Cacturne in a run and I was super pissed. To the point where I started brainstorming a hypothetical solo-Cacturne run in a game... that's about to become not so hypothetical. I can't imagine anyone has ever done a solo-locke with Cacturne, or ever will again.

This will be a written log detailing my strategy of overleveling past my problems.

1. Since I am doing this on cart, I must trade a Cacnea Egg after being able to catch a few Pokemon - this is after the catching tutorial.
2. I must only use my Cacnea/Cacturne in all battles, unless there are any double battles that are required - I don't actually know off hand.
3. If my cactus dies, that's it.
4. HM slaves can be used for all HMs.

So let's get to the prep:

So I decided to do a solo Cacturne run for the lols, because Cacturne is rad. One of my favourite gen 3 Pokemon and I want to get one to the end one way or the other. However, the first decision was what game?

I don't own gen 3 and don't feel like emulating, so they're out. Anything from gen 6 onwards isn't viable either, because I can't trade in an egg since I only have one 3DS. I don't want traded exp since it would be to easy to level up. This leaves gens 4 and 5. In gen 5, for both BW and BW2, you can't trade until after getting the first gym badge, so they're out. Out of the games I own, this leaves Pearl, Platinum, and Soul Silver. Why did I pick Soul Silver? One, you get to go all the way to Red. Two, the Sinnoh games have some leads that will just completely fuck you up like Houndoom in Platinum (twice, because of Cyrus and Flint). Johto is a little easier overall.

Prep was not done there though. I had a finished Soul Silver run where I had to transfer my survivors and a shiny Pidgey, so they had to be moved to gen 5. Then, using Pearl, since I was closest to Route 228, the only spawn spot in the entire of Sinnoh for the cactus line, I caught a male Cacturne and a female Cacnea. Naturally, the next step was to breed them. However, I decided to breed Return onto my baby of choice. Why?

Just look at that level up movepool for the early game. It's abysmal! Hatching with Return is kinda cheap, but it's the only way to make this playable. I'd rather have an early Return so that some earlygame fights are possible, rather than grinding to level 29 in order to potentially beat FALKNER and then having too easy a time later. Having just Poison Sting and Absorb would be unplayable, unreadable, and unfun. Like Jrose11's immense frustration with trying to use Abra against Brock with only Struggle. Speaking of frustration, I also bred Frustration onto Cacnea because I realised it would inherit Payback from the father otherwise - I won't even use Frustration, it's a filler move and I'll bench it for Absorb at level 5, leaving me where I intended anyway. I also used an Everstone to keep the Quirky nature for Cacnea because I need a non-abysmal nature. I tested the egg hatching and my first egg was good, so yeah. Eggs are set when received, so when traded it won't change. And since it was the first egg and both the female Cacnea and male Cacturne were the first cacti I caught, it still sort of follows the nuzlocke rule of "first one is what you get". Kind of.

I did all this extra prep that would probably be normally frowned upon, but I have to. There's no other way around it and it's the only way this run will be playable. Not only does this line not have a particularly great movepool - mostly because its offensive movepool is not that wide and it learns a lot of support and status moves it'll never have time to use, but it also has one of the worst stat distributions of all Pokemon: the slow frail mixed attacker. The only one worse is the "high HP with shitty defenses that negate it completely and little else". This makes soloing harder since if you have something that is either fast or bulky (like most starters), you can compensate for your deficit more easily in a solo run. With this stat setup, you have two major deficits to compensate for - even at a high level, a lot of stuff can outspeed you and hit you hard. Finally, Grass/Dark is a baaaaaad typing defensively. Not only does it have 6 weaknesses (7 when Fairy was added), but Johto is notoriously unkind to Grass Pokemon. Cacturne also doesn't compensate for its Fighting weakness very well, and has a 4x weakness to Bug.

So now that I've explained the thought process and bred my cactus, I can start the game... next time.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I got crit by Falkner and lost, and can't be arsed to do this again. Put this in the failed lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)