• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Comic Galar Teen Mon By the Sword - A Pokemon Sword Nuzlocke

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
A Pokemon Sword comic about a boy and his pet lizard. Updates once a month (usually)!

Wastelander Nick

*banjo music ambience*
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 29, 2020
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
Pokédex Entry
It is found roaming the deserts, usually on a back of a Mudsdale. It loves gathering relics of the past.
(don't mind me, I started reading from Tapas, but it is updated until page 17.2, so I moved to DA and I spread the comments - yeah I'm that guy...)

Love that flashforward intro! I knew something was off when his name as a champion was mentioned :P
and Klara is much more lovely here than her jealous counterpart from the game - I read the description, and ignorant sure is bliss in this case!

Zacian used Boop - it's super cryptic!
poor Harper have seen some abuse this early in life...
it's not usual to see a sassy Hoothoot, like Laurie RIP the would be water Bowser though\
Tumble & Hop bypassing the system in true hierarchy bypassing spirit - Leon be like

"Does anyone else think it's funny that the Pokedex is now just an app you download onto your Rotomphone? It makes sense in the games context, but it's still just so funny to me for some reason." - having grown up with the old pokedex versions, it's a bit of a letdown for us pokeboomers, that The Pokedex has been reduced to a smartphone app

also I want to comment on that focus shifting in some panels (like when the boys leave the train station) - it gives a cinematic look!

Martin as a Thievul (vs roselia) displays a lot of bravery, behaviour expected from fighting types!

Tumble may be obsessed with dragons, but at least he isn't an ass - oh and a unovian background!

Wastelander Nick

*banjo music ambience*
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 29, 2020
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
Pokédex Entry
It is found roaming the deserts, usually on a back of a Mudsdale. It loves gathering relics of the past.
(my previous comment draft got lost in time.... seems like "save draft" doesn't save it indefinitely :psyduck:)

congrats on your first badge and well done for the Cotton Spore Fog technique!
you know something fishy is going on when Milo is so eager to show the secrets of his profession ;)

and Hop's family has got some issues... the difference is even more obvious when comparing the two mothers-
*OLEANNA HAS ENTERED THE CHAT*

in general, it's pretty interesting that realistic look you give on pokemon (for example Milo's Flappy looks like a serpent and Eldegoss like a mantis instead of a grass type Mega Altaria :P )
also that Skwovet in page 18 seems quite a prankster!

Tumble is such a sweetheart for thinking about Sonia and her sister's disappearance! but still, Sonia has her problems and granma Magnolia, Hop has got a dysfunctional family, Tumble seems alright FOR NOW (but where's dad?)... are those families based on Neon Genesis Evangelion? :P

(and all that just for pages 17 & 18)

a whole chapter just for a power spot! and an emotional rollercoaster (from Martin and Laurie chastising Tumble to Raphael shouting at Shamrock with his species name, only to call him by his name a panel later, to that neck snap (RIP birdie...) to "why our son is crying" - they truly have adopted Tumble!)

Team - Group hug!
Raphael - ...joy

(after he found out about Sonia and Nessa) oh Tumble, you innocent little angel... also Wasserbienchen's nuzlocke touches the same matter with a similar way, if you're interested

Love those ominous corporate twins never mind, I just saw they're canon characters, they remind me of the sponsors/ regulators behind the Hunger Games!

nice twist having Raphael not being able to control his new weight (and age)!
I didn't quite get what Zacian was telling Tumble about misfortune... and Tumble was glowing after that "contact"... was it an in-story explanation for what really happened in-game (almost OHKO victory)?

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
Just binged this and I'm on board! I haven't actually played SwSh, so I've been looking up a lot of the canon designs for Gen VIII Pokémon, and I'd say you've done them a favor, especially Carkol and Perrserker. You've also done a great job of establishing characters, and I'm very curious to continue to watch Tumble's progress!

Velink

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 27, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Ayy finally I am up to date again!
Your comic is a treat to the eyes and brain as always, Snakes
What Shielbert says about wishing star production intrigues me though
It sounds like it is man made item

OP
SnakeEyesDraws

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Robot lover by day, robot lover by night as well. This Pokemon spits out a comic page about once a month before scuttling back into its room.
Page 23 is out now! Read it here!
seeing tumble frustrated after nessa giving him stern advice is very fitting for someone his age, I took things like that back then as well, also, dear god, I didn't realize raph's actual size when he evolved, what a monster
Aaaa thank you, I'm so happy to hear that!! Keeping Tumble in character for his age is super important to me <33 And heh big kitty!!
ooooooh DANG this was a great update, as usual! Seeing big boy Raph and Tumble working together is really neat, I'm glad they're starting to understand each other better!

I feel for Tumble getting scolded by Nessa there; I can absolutely see why he's pushing her advice away a little bit. I get the feeling that, even though Tumble is bad at accepting her advice, Nessa is also not the greatest at giving advice; she came off a little harsh.

also what are the gross hair boys doing here. what villainous things are they plotting.

gaaah the foreshadowing going on during the battle... top notch but also??? I am afraid. Starting to see a bit more of what Tumble's unown text deal is...
AAAA TYSM EGGE!! Stink cat and stink boy act a little less stink together
Def an appropriate reaction! Glad I could get across the nuances of the argument, since giving this kind of advice really isn't Nessa's thing
👀 mm I wonder! Gross hair boys is a wonderful nickname for them
Aaaa ty!! I'm so glad to hear that!
Holy shoot what a BIG KITTY. Your Perrserker design is amazing, I wanna bury my face in his floofy mane, he's so big.
AAAA TYSM!! So glad I can invoke the same instinct to shove my face into fluffy manes in others as well haha
Oh my goodness, Sordward and Shielbert! I didn't recognize them without the reality-defying hair!
cc5.jpg

I am going to go berserk over how floofy Perrserker!Raphael is. 😻

YlKM2YP.png

This isn't regular anger. This is advanced anger. advanced in that it advances angst

Gotta respect Nessa for putting her foot down about not leaving Raphael to flounder without guidance.

duo8e2s.png

Oh no. I know that color. :ohdear:

mI4arJ0.png

I love seeing the singing in the games get translated!

hstA7ac.png

raph hears how off-key the audience is

IiMocsx.png

New backstory approaches? 👀

BmoOt4G.png

I don't think the Unown like Dynamax. >_>

Oh no, Tumble, sweetie, you were so close to absorbing some good advice. 🥺
Honestly that is a huge compliment because wow. Those canon hairstyles. The jokes truly write themselves.
EEEEEEE I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed all the gym stuff! It's so much fun to translate ingame stuff to function in a comic!
Ah, so close and yet so far.... boy needs learning tips on how to take learning tips.
Thank you for the lovely comment!!
EXCELLENT BATTLE AND CLEVER USAGE OF THE ARENA

BUT BOY WAS I WORRIED THAT IT WOULD GO SOUTH FOR A MOMENT THERE PHEW

HARDEST PART ABOUT READING NUZLOCKES......THE INEVITABILITY OF WHEN THE OTHER SHOE DROPS
TYSM!! Had a lot of fun using the water arena!
Ohhh man is that a mood. It's pure whiplash going from having fun creation tension in your own comics battles to biting your nails when another nuzcomic does the same
Oooh I like this new style, especially the details of the hair/fur! And I like the thicker outer lines and thin inner lines too

I'm excited but also scared to see what role Swordward and Shielbert play in this, what villainous business shenanigans are they up to *squints*

WOOOOOWWW WHAT A GOOD BATTLE!! It had some ups and downs, epic ups, and very very scary downs. I can't get over this perserrker design, he's so BIG AND FLUFFY! I liked seeing him and Tumble work together to figure something out despite Raph's stubbornness. And man, I really thought that we were gonna lose Shamrock. Like, after the backstory stuff with him I was afraid it was some kinda of scary omen. Good thing Gloom is actually tanky as hell lol

It's good to see Tumble having struggles, even if it does also hurt seeing the boy upset :( that being said, Nessa also probably could have been a bit less harsh with her lecture. I know she means well and doesn't want anything bad to happen to Tumble or his team (and sister, we all agree there), but with the way she spoke to him it's not wonder he felt hurt and got defensive. I just reeeeaaally hope he will actually take her words into consideration and won't make any rash decisions that leads to somebody's death :'D

And I know I mentioned it in the 100 Day server, but who is this angry league staff member? Why are they so angry? Who hurt them?
Thank you so much Feral!! ;A; <33
Villainous haircut boys, what will they dooo
So glad to hear that!! Ahaha after seeing the results of other SWSH nuzlockes with Nessa, I don't blame anyone for fearing we might lose someone here. Still, really happy to hear the battle was enjoyable!! ^^
Ahaha yeah, always sucks when both parties have good intentions but miscommunication/human flaws get in the way :')
👀 who indeed~~~

Wow quite a fight! Tumble getting scolded hurts but I love what it's setting up characterwise. He's had a couple of wins but still much to learn, and his handling of his team... Him and Raph were not on the same page for a lot of that fight and it showed. Which again I'm super loving to see because I love that storytelling-intertwining-with-the-action type stuff! The battle matters beyond cool showeyness, but there's still the coolness and hype amidst the conversation between characters and the action is part of the conversation and aaaah. Also I love that you illustrated in the chants of the crowd from the dynamax gym battle music. We all sang along while reading that at least I hope I'm not the only one.
Eyyyy tysm!! I'm very happy to hear that <33 and honestly mission accomplished! The SWSH gym theme is an absolute bop and I will remind people of that as often as possible!
(don't mind me, I started reading from Tapas, but it is updated until page 17.2, so I moved to DA and I spread the comments - yeah I'm that guy...)

Love that flashforward intro! I knew something was off when his name as a champion was mentioned :P
and Klara is much more lovely here than her jealous counterpart from the game - I read the description, and ignorant sure is bliss in this case!

Zacian used Boop - it's super cryptic!
poor Harper have seen some abuse this early in life...
it's not usual to see a sassy Hoothoot, like Laurie RIP the would be water Bowser though\
Tumble & Hop bypassing the system in true hierarchy bypassing spirit - Leon be like

"Does anyone else think it's funny that the Pokedex is now just an app you download onto your Rotomphone? It makes sense in the games context, but it's still just so funny to me for some reason." - having grown up with the old pokedex versions, it's a bit of a letdown for us pokeboomers, that The Pokedex has been reduced to a smartphone app

also I want to comment on that focus shifting in some panels (like when the boys leave the train station) - it gives a cinematic look!

Martin as a Thievul (vs roselia) displays a lot of bravery, behaviour expected from fighting types!

Tumble may be obsessed with dragons, but at least he isn't an ass - oh and a unovian background!
(my previous comment draft got lost in time.... seems like "save draft" doesn't save it indefinitely :psyduck:)

congrats on your first badge and well done for the Cotton Spore Fog technique!
you know something fishy is going on when Milo is so eager to show the secrets of his profession ;)

and Hop's family has got some issues... the difference is even more obvious when comparing the two mothers-
*OLEANNA HAS ENTERED THE CHAT*

in general, it's pretty interesting that realistic look you give on pokemon (for example Milo's Flappy looks like a serpent and Eldegoss like a mantis instead of a grass type Mega Altaria :P )
also that Skwovet in page 18 seems quite a prankster!

Tumble is such a sweetheart for thinking about Sonia and her sister's disappearance! but still, Sonia has her problems and granma Magnolia, Hop has got a dysfunctional family, Tumble seems alright FOR NOW (but where's dad?)... are those families based on Neon Genesis Evangelion? :P

(and all that just for pages 17 & 18)

a whole chapter just for a power spot! and an emotional rollercoaster (from Martin and Laurie chastising Tumble to Raphael shouting at Shamrock with his species name, only to call him by his name a panel later, to that neck snap (RIP birdie...) to "why our son is crying" - they truly have adopted Tumble!)

Team - Group hug!
Raphael - ...joy

(after he found out about Sonia and Nessa) oh Tumble, you innocent little angel... also Wasserbienchen's nuzlocke touches the same matter with a similar way, if you're interested

Love those ominous corporate twins never mind, I just saw they're canon characters, they remind me of the sponsors/ regulators behind the Hunger Games!

nice twist having Raphael not being able to control his new weight (and age)!
I didn't quite get what Zacian was telling Tumble about misfortune... and Tumble was glowing after that "contact"... was it an in-story explanation for what really happened in-game (almost OHKO victory)?
AAAAAA thank you so much for all the cool comments! It's so neat to see someone's thoughts as they binge the pages! These were a joy to read <33 As for the ending, you're not far off and it'll be explained further later on! 👀
Just binged this and I'm on board! I haven't actually played SwSh, so I've been looking up a lot of the canon designs for Gen VIII Pokémon, and I'd say you've done them a favor, especially Carkol and Perrserker. You've also done a great job of establishing characters, and I'm very curious to continue to watch Tumble's progress!
Wow tysm!! Really glad I can do some justice for some of the canon designs, my work here is done ahah
Ayy finally I am up to date again!
Your comic is a treat to the eyes and brain as always, Snakes
What Shielbert says about wishing star production intrigues me though
It sounds like it is man made item
Thank you so much Velink! <33 Glad you're enjoying the read!

Waweezer

Johto League Champion
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 22, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon is known to make weird comics at random, no one really knows why.
Imagine explaining to a child that there is a power crsis that has been going on for 20 years.

Also your creativity with your pokemon redesigns never fail to surprise me, penguin gothita is a very unique idea.

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
I like how you are dealing with the energy crisis
makes more sense than in game

Scooterlooper

Scooter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 16, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Bug
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon spends most of her time lurking, but is full of love!!
Absolutely adore the grandpas dynamic, and the colours in this page (especially the cave area,) are so pretty!! i am. Very worried for stephan but i believe in him

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Admin Cobalt? Macro Cosmos hires Pokemon to administrative positions? #roseboss

4r9zbRv.png

The Chairman's League. Ugh, that wording sent chills down my spine.

8b7PAoe.png

Professor Magnolia got the vibes.

sbGAAx4.png

#roseboss knows how to use the audience. >_> I appreciate that, in your version of the story, the energy crisis is presented as in the immediate.

Ugh, Rose knows how to manipulate grad students: 💸 funding 💸 .

Magnolia and Rose:

Jq9JC0I.png

💔

Raphael is so big! 😻 and he has a big heart underneath that fluff

E0UYA2W.png

*yoinks for meme format purposes*

And making Wishing Stars raw energy sources makes Bede's blockade much more sinister.

FtnEx3k.png

Penguin Gothita hype!

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!!! But don´t forget to wear one
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
I'm in love with this page. Rose's character and motivations being fleshed out, the family drama between Magnolia and Sonia, and even the confrontation with Bede. Amazing page, just amazing.

TheLastUnicornInOz

Alolan Vulpix in the Desert
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 14, 2020
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Elvia, while living in a hot dessert enviornment, embraces the ice typing, rarely leaving her cool home and often is drawing or creating
I really enojoy the buildup youve been doing and how you've been adding to the events that lead up in the game, you know considering the game just dropped it on our lap. I also like seeing magnolia taking more of a part as well!

Your pokemon redseigns are a treat as always!! I freakin love them so much

AND HEY LOOK ITS BEDE BEING AN ASS AGAIIN

I WILL FIGHT A CHILD

OP
SnakeEyesDraws

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Robot lover by day, robot lover by night as well. This Pokemon spits out a comic page about once a month before scuttling back into its room.
Page 24.1 is out now! Read it here!
Imagine explaining to a child that there is a power crsis that has been going on for 20 years.

Also your creativity with your pokemon redesigns never fail to surprise me, penguin gothita is a very unique idea.
Huge if true! Ah, modern problems...
Aww thank you so much!! Turning it into a silly little penguin certainly endears me to the evolution line a bit more <33

I like how you are dealing with the energy crisis
makes more sense than in game
Thank you so much!! Retooling and working with the plot given to us ingame has been a highlight of this comic <33

Absolutely adore the grandpas dynamic, and the colours in this page (especially the cave area,) are so pretty!! i am. Very worried for stephan but i believe in him
Every comment about the gay grandpas makes me grow stronger <33 Thank you so much!!
Believe in rock puppy turtle 2k22!

Admin Cobalt? Macro Cosmos hires Pokemon to administrative positions? #roseboss

4r9zbRv.png

The Chairman's League. Ugh, that wording sent chills down my spine.

8b7PAoe.png

Professor Magnolia got the vibes.

sbGAAx4.png

#roseboss knows how to use the audience. >_> I appreciate that, in your version of the story, the energy crisis is presented as in the immediate.

Ugh, Rose knows how to manipulate grad students: 💸 funding 💸 .

Magnolia and Rose:

Jq9JC0I.png

💔

Raphael is so big! 😻 and he has a big heart underneath that fluff

E0UYA2W.png

*yoinks for meme format purposes*

And making Wishing Stars raw energy sources makes Bede's blockade much more sinister.

FtnEx3k.png

Penguin Gothita hype!

HEHEHEHE tysm for the comment!! It's always a treat to see your reaction to the whole page <33 Glad a lot of this stuff got picked up on!!

I'm in love with this page. Rose's character and motivations being fleshed out, the family drama between Magnolia and Sonia, and even the confrontation with Bede. Amazing page, just amazing.
AAAA tysm!! This page took a while to figure out, so I'm glad all of the beats hit!! Thank you again <33

I really enojoy the buildup youve been doing and how you've been adding to the events that lead up in the game, you know considering the game just dropped it on our lap. I also like seeing magnolia taking more of a part as well!

Your pokemon redseigns are a treat as always!! I freakin love them so much

AND HEY LOOK ITS BEDE BEING AN ASS AGAIIN

I WILL FIGHT A CHILD
Thank you so much!! I feel like a bit more build up would've done the OG games good, haha.
Thank you!! Always glad when people enjoy the re-designs!
HAJKDASKDSAKL Most people's reaction to Bede xD

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
I'm just gonna say that there is a 98% chance that this won't end well.

Michimomo

Character Designer and Fairy-type Enthusiast
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 24, 2022
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
She/They
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
A bit tired and lethargic, but this Pokemon always makes a come back.
I'm gonna cry and throw up if something happens to these kids in this mine.

reshishigas

Subway Boss
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2022
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Bug
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon says and writes whatever is on their mind, even if they may cringe at it one year later.
NOOO I hope nothing bad happens... I Am Terrified

Waweezer

Johto League Champion
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 22, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon is known to make weird comics at random, no one really knows why.
Oh crap! Stephan was super close to dying there!

but now I’m scared of what’s gonna happen in the cave

xayshade

xayshade
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 26, 2021
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
always acting never thinking
oh wow its good to learn more about leon. who knew team rocket got as far as galar

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
Ohhhh boy it's been a hot minute since I commented on here eh? I hope you don't mind but I'mma comment on each of these updates as I catch up because you're comic deserves all the thoughts and lord knows I'm incapable of not talking akjfhdkjsahfdjsk.

So with that said-

So the wishing stars are actually used up because of the gym challenge hmmm? Not sure if that was stated before now but it's a really cool worldbuilding detail! I love the way shieldbert is focused on the long game with the way the gym challenge can help them reach their goal compared to swordbert's more shortsighted focus on the raw numbers. Really interested to see exactly what their goal is and how having Rose and Leon in their pocket is so important to it!

Love love love this gym battle! Love seeing the way the language barrier makes Raph's and Tumble's issues even worse. And I love the note that Tumble, while def worried about the bleeding, thought "we can't win at this rate" above everything else. Which, it's fair- wining the gyms is his goal here- but it really shows that he isn't seeing any kind of worst case scenario. He's not really worrying about what that bleeding could mean for Ralph's health- as most kids wouldn't. It's just a nice little reminder to us where Tumble's priorities are even though he's overall a great kid. (And damn if it isn't a smart narrative move to have Raph snap at Tumble, immediately putting Tumble back into a sympathetic position to the audience, cause damn this poor kid has mountains of pressure on him in this moment and is just trying his best.)

Also wanna say you did a great job showing Raph's bulkiness in this fight. I feel like most of the others couldn't just keep taking those ice shards like that- but despite everything Raph was able to take the hits and win the fight with a one hit KO! It just really shows how much more he can take with this evolution. Wonderfully done. And he absolutely earns that hug in the end~

And then Shamrock's big moment aaaaaaa hell yeah! It was so cool to see him take that max darkness and take out that huge ass dreadnaw with one shot! And the shots of the battle he lost in the past interspersed throughout made it feel all the more amazing when he won this time! All while Tumble can barely focus with that ominous voice once again interfering. Love the way Tumble literally glows and gains pink in the eyes while trying to ward off the voice and focus on the battle. The victory of the battle is def what shines- but this issue feels more and more concerning with each time it comes up. You struck a great balance!

And how can I talk about this page without talking about Nessaaaaaa! Aaaaaa I love love love what you did with her here. We have the fans noting she's the strongest and we can see why- her and Drizzel were on track to wipe Raph out. But the look on her face while it's happening- the way she's so miserable with how this battle is going speaks volumes. Even if she wants to win, it's clear she doesn't want to win like this. So she basically pauses the battle to force Tumble to get his shit together- and the way she utilizes her power as a gym leader doesn't feel the least bit unfair. Raph is on a slow, painful route to losing while already bleeding b/c of the evolution- calling his defeat early is 100% a mercy at that point. But the fact that she does this, even with a harsh tone, shows that she cares about her opponents pokemon in a way others might now. And even that talk at the end pushes this further. She's only talking to Tumble cause she cares- she has no reason to otherwise. Though from the way she talks it feels like she's either not used to giving feedback like this, or not used to giving it to kids. The way she brings up his good points (sharp and resourceful) and flaws (reckless and unprepared) is nuanced in a way that it might be hard for a kid like Tumble to get right away. Instead Tumble seems to hear "you're a good trainer and a bad trainer" which leaves him confused and frustrated. This is compounded with the fact that Nessa's criticisms don't come with concrete advice on how to fix the issue- which is fine for older participants who should have skills/knowledge as to what they can do- but only makes it even more frustrating for Tumble who is left grasping at straws as to what the next steps should be. Not his fault and not Nessa's fault- but it leads him to disregarding everything she said and I'm 100% certain that it will directly lead to his first loss on the team and I am so, so scared for him.

And also Harper, who has chances to try to help here and just can't quite do it. I worry for her too ;;w;;

Also it's a small thing- but the way Oleana knew where and when to pick up Tumble despite the fact that his match was moved is so cool and off-putting. Like it makes it feel like Tumble is really important for Rose to see- but also gives that feel of him always watching that's is just... -shivers-

Finally I gotta take a minute to gush about your art! I always swoon at how fluid your gym battles feel- you make the action so easy to follow but still manage to use dynamic and interesting shots to keep the tense feeling throughout! The impacts always feel solid and the motions fluid and easy to understand. And the big shots like the iron head hit or dynamax dreadnaw's appearance always feel BIG. All of these points complimented by your great expressions and your character's body language. As always you did an amazing job!
Fav Shot:
unknown.png

So staring right off with the fact that Tumble is most def being watched (if his match being moved up got mentioned to Rose is anything to go by) and boy is that still unsettling!!! Hate it! No thank you! Also damn Oleana I get that you don't wanna chit chat with some kid but did you have to burn our boy so bad? Like it seemed like a short trip you couldn't indulge him for at least a few minutes??? Ma'am please...

Aaaaa more Rose content! It's so great to see him ever the affable businessman he portrays himself as. The way he opens the convo celebrating Tumble's victory so it sets a good mood that many wouldn't want to challenge, while also putting Tumble at ease is master class socializing. This is made all the worse by the fact that Tumble is grappling with the feelings from the Nessa talk so I'm sure this only further makes Tumble want to ignore what she said even more since now the chairmen himself says Tumble is good- so it must be true! ... Right?

Though really when we get into the meat of the convo, this feels much less like a conversation that Tumble should be a part of, and more an ambush on Prof. Magnolia. The strategic way he brings up the energy crisis in front of Tumble- working him up over it and then posing himself and his company as the saviors working to help Galar really puts Magnolia in a tough spot right from the get go. Even Sonia clearly didn't know the full extent- and the way you illustrate that with Magnolia literally put in-between Sonia and Tumble as they are grappling with this info is just -chef's kiss- so freaking good. And from there it just get worse and worse for Magnolia. Letting Tumble hear exactly what he wants (you're already helping by following your goal!) and offering Sonia her big breakthrough and a place to help literally save the future of Galar while cutting off any of her more reasonable points... The man really knows how to sell it. He even made another exhibition match seem like Tumble's idea! All while managing to (presumably) get everything else he wanted out of this conversation! It's genuinely amazing and goddamn do I hate him for it!!! And left in the aftermath is a frustrated Prof. Magnolia who ends up snapping at Sonia- pushing her away and probably further towards Rose because, hey! At least he supports her! But it's so painful cause it's clear that Magnolia understand the nuances to this that Tumble and Sonia don't. She knows that the devil is dancing in the details no matter how rosy it looks at first glance- but she also seems to believe that Sonia and Tumble can't really understand it. (And while I get that for Tumble, it feels very unfair to Sonia and makes Sonia's frustration so much more understandable) So in the end Magnolia just looks stubborn and impossible to deal with even to 2 ppl who would might side with her otherwise,

On that note, it wouldn't surprise me if Rose has an idea of how close Tumble is to Sonia and Magnolia with how much info he seems to have access to. Which, makes it feel even more like an ambush... hmm...

I love to hate your Rose so much Liv.

Also look at Tumble, trying to follow up on those strange voices and not getting anywhere. On one hand I'm proud of him for trying- on another- please god tell an adult (not rose) about what's going on I beg of you Tumble.

Aaaaaa team bonding!!! I always love seeing this crew interacting! It's so good to see Stephan growing thanks to the help of the rest of the team. It so sweet that even Raph is participating now. I love the way Shamrock explains what teams are, and in turn seeing Raph slowly open up to the idea of wanting to be on one. It's hard to admit to wanting something like that for him, but bit by bit he's getting there and it warms my heart to see it. (And will probably break my heart later on but that's neither here nor there.)

(Also calling him Shamrock at the end so quietly aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

The caaaave! So quick note- love the idea that Nessa dynamaxes for some challengers and gigantamaxes for others. First I love the idea that she can just decide which one to do on the fly, and also I love the implication that she didn't go as hard on Tumble as she could have. Tumble was really doing bad leading up to dreadnaw, so the idea that Nessa might have chosen the easier form for Tumble to deal with is so understandable but also so, so bad for Tumble if he finds out. All the pride for that moment- for Shamrock's victory- will turn so sour and negative so fast if that's the case. I really hope there's some other explanation, but for now I will be low-key stressin' about that line coming back to haunt us. (Also good baby boy for giving those revives someone else who theoretically needs them more but also aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Tumble please plan for the worst at least a little bit)

On another note, I love that Tumble falls back into old habits but quickly reigns them in with the help of his team. It's just so natural he'd be excited to battle in this new place with other trainers and new pokemon! But he really is trying to do better and sticks to it until he really can't anymore. Like really, despite Martin's absolutely correct stance that they shouldn't battle- Tumble is stuck in a really hard spot both morally and realistically. Like. I really do not think Bede was letting him through without a fight by the looks of it if only cause Bede is a condescending asshole who wants to make Tumble upset on the best of days. And while it's easy to say that this problem doesn't concern you- these are challengers just like Tumble is. It feels like it concerns him b/c it concerns ppl just like him. Separating those sorts of feelings can be hard for adults let along a good kid like Tumble who just wants to do the right thing. It's just. We know he's making a mistake, but it's such a damn good reason to make the mistake we can't even fault him for it.

And as a small aside- I understand Martin's thinking- but gosh does benching yourself never, ever go well in these situations. It only puts others in more danger- and if anyone gets hurt because of this I don't see Martian forgiving himself any time soon...

I love the entire lead up to the battle. I adore the way Tumble really does try to reach a solution peacefully with Bede instead of jumping right to battle. Even if he didn't understand the words, it seems he really is trying to listen to what Martin was getting at. I'm sure some of it is the genuine fear of facing Bede w/o Martin's help- but he still really did try to do things the peaceful way until (1) Bede made it clear he would not cooperate without a fight, and (2) that one of his pokemon volunteered to battle. It's a small touch but it really shows how much this boy is trying to do right by his team.

And it's not like he's wrong to trust in Stephan since the first battle ends up in their favor! A bit rough but they still win the first round in the end! Maybe they can do this! Maybe they'll be okay!

... Liv they better be okay Liv I swear-

Once again I adore your art on this update! Even though there's less action in this page there's a lot to love. I freaking love how often you kept Oleana's face unseen- either cutting it off or showing her from behind. It gives her such a mysterious and imposing presence that fits her so well- and makes it really surprising when she pops up to move Rose along to his next appointment. Your use of shading and expressions really help make the Magnolia and Sonia fight intense despite it not lasting long. And your unique designs for pokemon are always a treat to see! Another amazing job!

Fav Shot:
unknown.png

Okay so starting out with something I forgot to mention on the last page- I find it really interesting how the kids know each other by their numbers over their names. Tumble is just 816, and even Bede is "pink dude" at best. Just another way that these participants are completely dehumanized during their challenge- which makes the fact that the champion and gym leaders actually go by there names seem even more enticing. No more being contestant 816, you would finally be Gym Leader Tumble. Just. Really neat detail and so, so messed up. You really nail the quiet horrors of the Galar gym setup so well.

Also interesting thing I forgot to note last update- I find it interesting that Hop was downright panicked about Tumble facing Bede- and how it's continued on this page as relief that Tumble didn't lose the first battle. Not that Hop's concern is unwarranted with how Tumble and Bede's last fight went- as well as how hard Nessa was for Tumble. It's just interesting to me because I would assume that Hop would by default believe in his friend's ability and motivations here- and it's really cool to see it's not that simple!

Speaking of Tumble winning tho- Awwww yeeeee to that second victory!!! Learning Ancient power in such a clutch moment was so freaking cool. I love the way Tumble is willing to trust in his pokemon's instincts and let them lead. It naturally plays into one of his shortcomings (not always knowing when to have them stop if they want to keep going a la Raph is Nessa's gym) but it also leads to incredible moments like this one! Also Petunia shouting at a mon for losing the same way Bede does is so freaking funny. Like Asshole Trainer, Like Asshole Pokemon i guess lmao. And the way that victory immediately makes Tumble so smug is so scary. The way he just was not able to see how badly Stephan's condition was after those two fights really had me scared when that psybeam hit- but conversely it shows so much growth and maturity that he instantly forfeited after that. He didn't even ask Harper again- just accepted that none of his other pokemon should be in this battle. You can see how hard of a choice this was for him but it's so good of him to make it and shows how he's growing.

But even with all that- man is Stephan's reaction heartbreaking to see. We know it's the right call- and we know Tumble doesn't think Stephan is weak- but to see how desperate he was to prove himself and the way he only calmed down when Harper begged him is rough. I am so afraid of what sort of trouble that sort of mindset could get him into.

On a more wholesome note- I ADORE the way that Tumble came out as a sort of victor to all the other kids. They were still disappointed sure- but many of them were still understanding and encouraging to him in the aftermath. Idk it was just nice to see how many stuck by him even though he had to forfeit. And I love the fact that Tumble still tells Bede off- cause he's right. One day, Bede will mess with someone isn't going to take that shit anymore and has the power to back up those feelings- hell, it could very well be Tumble or any of the other competitors. And with the way Bede was taken aback by Tumble's victories, it's clear he knows its true. Bede won this battle, but it absolutely is not a true victory for him.

Which is why I'm all the more terrified about what this stupid challenge is all about. :')

Bede def wants to humiliate Tumble somehow- wants to bring him back down a peg. But abandoned mining tunnels can be absolute death traps no matter why you're going down them. I love the note that Bede could be lying- but there's enough truth in there to convince Tumble and Hop to go. Though gotta give credit to Bede for somehow hitting a bullseye on just what to say to Hop for him to both back down and agree to go along with Tumble. God, turning "Gym Leader Tumble" from a fun acknowledgment of his dream to an insult is the worst.

I love your Bede so much.

Once again stellar art on display here! Love the look of that final rock throw- and the launch/impact of the ancient power was so satisfying. The way you showed Stephan getting more and more beatup really helped the tension and nearly had me screaming when I saw how injured he was after that psybeam hit. And of course the expressions were great all the way through- especially when Tumble told Bede off- but they especially helped showcase the nerves everyone has going into this tunnel. Another fantastic update Liv!
Favorite Shot:
unknown.png

3300+ words later and I'm all caught up until... tomorrow apparently! My god Liv HOW DO YOU DO THIS WITH UPDATES HOW BIG WAS THIS ONE MEANT TO BE- Anyway! Sorry for all of... this. But also not sorry cause I'm probably going to do it again with your next update!!! :D

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
What could be better than gothbaby!Gothita? Gothbird!Gothita. 😍
O2pH8up.png

TIL that Gothita can learn Rock Tomb and Rock Slide!

3SuK7HW.png

My baby! *holds*

DPYbRDF.png

The power of friendship overcomes language barriers! 🤩 (stephan bby i trust you with my life)

That Ancient Power Ganondorf-bottle-Uno-reverse looked like it hurt. I don't blame Daisy for going down.
bcc3238e1f80e516f38d9b1b16472114ada6810b_hq.gif

dbS7YCL.png

That is not the face of a boy who recognizes that the baby needs to rest! MAYDAY, MAYDAY!

Although Bede's naming theme is sending me. Fear Petunia!!!

IQVDGCO.png

I WILL NEVER MAKE FUN OF YOUR NAMING THEME AGAIN BEDE JUST SPARE MY SON 😭

No, Stephan, honey, you are strong! Bede, you will pay for the crime you've committed: m a k i n g t h e b a b i e s c r y.

Oh, but the background trainers being supportive of Tumble reduces the fine. 🥺

V8lhQFL.png

*notes fear body language* 👀

Young!Raihan has two Trapinch??? 👀

Oh no, Bede pushing Tumble's Good Boi Button. While what Hop is saying is logical, it isn't satisfying, so... *straps in*

SXaG4DA.png

oh no he got a two for one

BY6rg6w.png

GAH IT IS TUMBLE WHO DEALS THE FINISHING BLOW

Users who are viewing this thread