• NOTICE: Potential Site Downtime on December 7, 2020.

This is a preliminary notice that you may experience some downtime on December 7, 2020, due to some backend adjustments.

If you attempt to access the Nuzlocke Forums on or around this date, and receive any sort of failure to connect notice, please alert the Nuzlocke Forums Tech Team on Discord (@Tech Team role).

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

Snooze's Feature Team Interview

Comic Kalos Teen Gijinka Burn Away [an X gijinka comic]

Thread Description
latest update - page 48 [11/30/20]

Garnet

Officially ADHD
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
Ooh, yeah, based on where we are in the story and the Solosis with them... seems like it was probably Psychic Emanuel's Sigilyph up on Route 11, huh? Two levels higher, and with it learning Air Cutter, a base 60 power move with a high crit chance, at level 21 (which is presumably the one it was using here), plus STAB... yeah, that seems like a fight that's easy to lose someone to if you don't have a good Rock, Steel, or bulky Electric type to resist it. And even with that, if it's not a Steel-type, there's the risk of Psybeam, which also gets STAB and has an even higher base power...
With the team comp being what it was, it's almost kind of lucky it was only Rho and not someone else, too. Even if they're not as specialized, damn things have the BST of an Alakazam in gens II-V. Kind of cruel to put something like that that early on.

Magicforbeginners

Generally Incompetent
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Draws, writes, lives. Poorly, but always improving.
That shot where Abella holds onto Edie with Rho's bloody necklace was fantastic. My heart dropped right alongside Rowan's. Color, composition, everything-hits you like a feels truck. Rho was a pretty new member but he was established so well already! I wanted to see him become a Meowstic and reunite with his mother. I'm sad.

Now that Rho's dead, I'm curious about his mother.... He never gave the crew info, but the pokemon center might contact her? Man, things are gonna get emotional when she shows up (will she show up? Rho did run away, maybe they can't find his mother at all). For Edie especially, seems like she feels responsible but is too busy Being Tough to feel feelings.
At least Rowan and Sasha made up. Makes me wonder what the team dynamic will be like now? Hopefully Edie opens up a bit to Abella.

And Kazz, wow. Watching a child get killed in front of you is a terrible intro to the team. Cousteau, don't make things worse.

Salt&PepperBunny

Formerly MouseWithADinosaurTail
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Rabbits are so human. Or perhaps, humans are so rabbit?

It was in this update that I learned I never learned that kid's name. :'))))))

Hallow

music person
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 18, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon spends most of their time making music and forgetting to check the forum.
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

Kadew

sometimes life really is quite lovely
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
If you encounter a wild Kadew, best practice is to gently bully her into remembering that she loves to draw. She forgets, sometimes.
So I took a week to think about this so my comment would be more than screaming. Still shocked though. You really did a good job of making this death slam into your kidneys out of no where. The abrupt whumph of a person who should be there just suddenly not, and never will be again. Sudden and unfair and devestating. He was just a kid. Basically what I'm saying here, is, you gave me an emotion, and how dare you.

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
His last smile as he runs into the battle... He just wanted to be part of the action and do the same things as the others. 😭 The way that was framed, I just could feel that it was going to be bad.

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
It's been said by many readers before, but... ouch. Ouch ouch ouch this really happened.
I was expecting another death to happen at some point given that the team was separating, but oh man did I not see this coming. The build up and framing of the reveal was just perfect - I felt the exact same rush of shock at the same time Roman did noticing the necklace. The beautiful color scheme of the page helps with the emotions as well, it's all one big punch to the gut and really drives home how unfair this death was. Rho was always trying to be a battler and get involved and help the team, and it honestly hurts that in the end it was an accident during a simple practice battle that took him out. I can only imagine what repercussions are going to come out of this, for both team Roman and the team that killed Rho.

snooze

stylish but illegal
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
it lurks in dark caves to focus on its work, venturing outside only when encouraged to by its wife
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

h-hewwo..... may i offer you a.... comic page in these trying times?

- for those of you interested in what happened in-game, i was in a battle with a trainer's sigilyph, which dragged rho into battle with whirlwind, then OHKO'd him with a crit air cutter. u____u you can find a more detailed rundown of the battle [ here! ]
- since rho wasn't a legally licensed battler, the sigilyph will be facing legal consequences for his death.
- compared to ulrich's funeral, rho's was organized fairly quickly - in just a matter of 3 days. this was able to happen because there were no other people to contact/invite and they didn't need to allow time for travel.
- geosenge funerals take place on route 10, so that's where the latter part of this page happens!
- roman is 15 now! his birthday actually happened on pages 37/38.

also i just wanted to say thank you guys so much for all the comments and reactions to the last page and the comic overall <333 it really is overwhelming and im so grateful to all of you for reading and enjoying the comic!! ;;__;;

Wow we really went from haha funny slurp to killing my son in front of me huh Snooze. We really did that huh. Just hurting my boy? Thanks :')
HFDSKJFDSJ im sorry but if i go too many pages without some angst i break out in hives 😔

Oh cool cool cool time to curl up and cry for a few days or maybe forever cool cool cool 😭
PTBRBTR god forgive me god forgive m

OH NOOOOOOOO BABYYYY WHYYYY. Here I was waiting for Rho to have his big growth moment where he got to step up and kick ass noooo ;3;
😭 i knowwww. i wanted to take rho to the end of the game so badly. this death really crushed me

*reads author's note* oh I don't like that

*reads update* Oh I Don't Like That

Poor Rho
PTBRTBRTBRT unfortunately this game was... not kind to me....

OHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

okay look, rho never really took center stage or anything like that (save maybe for that one scene where we got to see everyone else's emotions through him) so I think part of me was always like 'mm maybe he won't be all that important, maybe he'll just find his way off the team at some point' but damn, not like this! bloodied... he's was so small...

what a way to bring the team back together... :')
:'''') yeah even in gameplay, he never really got a chance to shine, so i wanted that to be reflected in the comic too. there's no team reunion like a funeral reunion i guess!

Hey, snooze? Who ever told you you could be so cruel? Who allowed you to do this?

how--why--

Judging from the design of the other trainer, I'm guessing a Sigilyph? Those things can be dangerous...

Oh my god I thought for sure this poor child would have a chance to step up ;;o;;
<:) ahhhh yea this is probably one of the harshest deaths in the comic pbtrbtr it def felt bad to write/draw (it totally was a sigilyph btw!! those things bully me in EVERY nuzlocke run i swear ffff)

Ooh, yeah, based on where we are in the story and the Solosis with them... seems like it was probably Psychic Emanuel's Sigilyph up on Route 11, huh? Two levels higher, and with it learning Air Cutter, a base 60 power move with a high crit chance, at level 21 (which is presumably the one it was using here), plus STAB... yeah, that seems like a fight that's easy to lose someone to if you don't have a good Rock, Steel, or bulky Electric type to resist it. And even with that, if it's not a Steel-type, there's the risk of Psybeam, which also gets STAB and has an even higher base power...
With the team comp being what it was, it's almost kind of lucky it was only Rho and not someone else, too. Even if they're not as specialized, damn things have the BST of an Alakazam in gens II-V. Kind of cruel to put something like that that early on.
yes!!! you absolutely got it with the air cutter + trainer emanuel. :') sigilyph is a cruel, cruel pokemon and i do tend to lose pokemon to it whenever i encounter it in a nuzlocke run haha

That shot where Abella holds onto Edie with Rho's bloody necklace was fantastic. My heart dropped right alongside Rowan's. Color, composition, everything-hits you like a feels truck. Rho was a pretty new member but he was established so well already! I wanted to see him become a Meowstic and reunite with his mother. I'm sad.

Now that Rho's dead, I'm curious about his mother.... He never gave the crew info, but the pokemon center might contact her? Man, things are gonna get emotional when she shows up (will she show up? Rho did run away, maybe they can't find his mother at all). For Edie especially, seems like she feels responsible but is too busy Being Tough to feel feelings.
At least Rowan and Sasha made up. Makes me wonder what the team dynamic will be like now? Hopefully Edie opens up a bit to Abella.

And Kazz, wow. Watching a child get killed in front of you is a terrible intro to the team. Cousteau, don't make things worse.
aaaaaaa thank you so so much!!! it was really difficult deciding on how to frame + color this page and im so happy it came out so stark and harsh in the end. :'') and perhaps we will get more info on rho's family some day <:3c

It was in this update that I learned I never learned that kid's name. :'))))))
fdhsjkfdsjkds understandable :'D he was meant to be a character that seemed to be in the background!

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
yes 😔

So I took a week to think about this so my comment would be more than screaming. Still shocked though. You really did a good job of making this death slam into your kidneys out of no where. The abrupt whumph of a person who should be there just suddenly not, and never will be again. Sudden and unfair and devestating. He was just a kid. Basically what I'm saying here, is, you gave me an emotion, and how dare you.
fdjskhg thank you! ;;__;; this was a really difficult death to write, if i'm honest. i very much wanted it to feel like a sudden, unexpected punch to the gut, so im relieved to hear you say that!! o|-<

His last smile as he runs into the battle... He just wanted to be part of the action and do the same things as the others. 😭 The way that was framed, I just could feel that it was going to be bad.
he diiiid he did ;;_;; im so glad the intro gave that little ominous vibe!

It's been said by many readers before, but... ouch. Ouch ouch ouch this really happened.
I was expecting another death to happen at some point given that the team was separating, but oh man did I not see this coming. The build up and framing of the reveal was just perfect - I felt the exact same rush of shock at the same time Roman did noticing the necklace. The beautiful color scheme of the page helps with the emotions as well, it's all one big punch to the gut and really drives home how unfair this death was. Rho was always trying to be a battler and get involved and help the team, and it honestly hurts that in the end it was an accident during a simple practice battle that took him out. I can only imagine what repercussions are going to come out of this, for both team Roman and the team that killed Rho.
aaaaaaaaaaa gosh thank you so so much!!! ;;_____;; this is probably the most unfair death in the whole run and i really really wanted to capture that feeling so im beyond relieved to hear that pbtrbtrbtr as for repercussions, the fallout will definitely be something i'm excited to draw in future pages!!

Garnet

Officially ADHD
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
happy birthday, roman

No Xante family with a missing son, huh? Iiiiinteresting... On the topic of Roman's Actual birthday, Rho does talk about his mother during page 37 - Gave em a fake name, perhaps, so his folks couldn't track him down and try to stop him as easily? Mood tbh but man that's one hell of a way for it to go. Their son vanished without a trace and just never came back and they more likely than not don't even get to know what happened to him cuz his death wasn't reported with his real name. As far as they're concerned their son is just Gone and they don't even get to find out what happened to him. That's rough buddy. Wonder if that thread's ever gonna get followed up on later on :0c

Riboo

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
And if you listen carefully? You could hear the hearts of hundreds breaking TT - TT

Though I'm happy the team got back together

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
Seconding @Riboo because my heart is one of the hundreds breaking.

For real though, the sad and heavy tone in this page was so so good. I wish I had the art words to describe why this looks so good and how it complements the feeling of the page but... the best I got is "art really good at making me really sad" XD.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to get started on the cycle of:

Magicforbeginners

Generally Incompetent
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Draws, writes, lives. Poorly, but always improving.
How dare you make these trying times worse

(fr I am enjoying this feels train, but it hurts)

Inksword

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 9, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
I really appreciate that you can spend a whole giant update (really an update and a half) quietly sitting and absorbing a death of a character who never really took center stage. Really makes it seem like deaths are not just an ordinary accepted thing in the world and also in your narrative. This was a good slice of emotional pie. I was wondering when Roman and crew were going to take on the league specifically, since they've sorta been set up to be the ultimate hurdle and it'd be hard to excuse Roman/Sasha/etc. keep being around for gym fights.

IDK I'm ramblin caveman say BURN AWAY GOOD.

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
The team being reunited and finding comfort in one another after Rho, the one who told them they shouldn't argue just because they were all upset, dies..... this hurts so badly
I really love how this page displays different types of grief and reactions to the death - just makes it feel more realistic and makes the death feel more grounded. Kazz is angry such a thing happened, Cousteau is kind of keeping to himself, but clearly he's still affected by this whole situation - he did, after all, share some onscreen conversations with Rho and I wonder if that'll come into play in future pages. And the main four, who were there when they first met Rho, are all grieving heavily and feel responsible, especially poor Edie. The fact that she finally opens up a little, and she's still a little guarded but slowly melts into the group hug..... The characters are so well written in this comic but at the same time, it really hurts to see them in pain like this 😭

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
The contrast between Ulrich's funeral to which everyone who knew him came, and Rho's funeral in which some kids are the only ones there to bury a literal kid they barely knew.... ow.
Also you must know that the moment that made me cry was when Edie accepted being part of the hug! They're a real team now....... But at what cost.... Narratively, this moment could not be more deserved, but emotionally, I Do Not Want It ;A;

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The reason she guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that she wants them to hurry up and leave.
Edie's reaction to the funeral is what gets me. Her standing there for so long, especially after learning they were probably all he had... Hopefully they stick to what Edie said. No more deaths pls ;;

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Anxious, sweet-toothed writer who hides amongst the papers. Only attacks when provoked.
Man, those sepia panels killed me, man. And I can’t get over the fact that they can’t find Rho’s family. The nurse said that there was no Xanthe family missing a son. Does this mean that Rho is trans? Or did he lie about having a mom? Or he thinks his mom’s alive but she’s really dead???

Also, those moments with Roman breaking down, Edie slowly sitting down with everyone, Costeau going after Kazza? Fucking brilliant.

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
This comic has made me ugly cry, again.

TheLastUnicornInOz

Alolan Vulpix in the Desert
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 14, 2020
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Elvia, while living in a hot dessert enviornment, embraces the ice typing, rarely leaving her cool home and often is drawing or creating
First Nuzlocke comic that got me bawling like a total baby omigosh do you have any idea how much this comic hurt my soul!!! You have some damn good talent as a story teller I cannot wait for the next page (and I will inevitably cry at least 8 more times I'm sure before this comic is done.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)