• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Not one but two anonymous angels wanted to get the word out about a hidden gem of a comic, feraligatr's Dear Sergio. This Shield Nuzlocke follows Sergio and his best only friend Hop!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Building Up a Brilliant Run

Thread Description
Plotting and Planning My Future Storylocke of Brilliant Diamond

RisingMew

Currently yelling about Sw/Sh
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
A calm and nocturnal creature with a fondness for reading.
The trend of amazingly creative gym leaders continues! Having Fantina be judged by Tian and co. as actually being worthy is such a great way to add diversity to the whole gym tour, and then having the antagonists you fight for the third/fifth gym be rebelling nobles rather than Fantina herself is also a wonderful spin! It also gives you the flexibility to deal with where the battle falls chronologically like you mentioned; I've never actually played Platinum for myself, so I had no idea that it brought such a drastic difference! Having Fantina as an ally could also prove interesting later on down the line...she couldn't physically join the team as a ghost-type encounter since you've already made her a much-more-fitting Gourgeist, but maybe her aid can help contribute story-wise to any battles you sweep through with particular ease?

Also, I really like the more sinister tone shift for Yangguang, as well as your thoughts on a potential fossil encounter. That conundrum of bringing someone back from the dead has also been on my mind for my own 'locke-in-planning, but your idea makes a lot of sense for a setting full of magic of all sorts! You're definitely right that it could create a very interesting plot arc, and I'm excited to see how that plays out once you start writing the full story :0

Moon

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
oooooo
shiny gourgeist is indeed a lovely ghost

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Trollkitten That sounds like a very interesting and overly complicated new plot. Perfect for Kalos, which has barely any plot to speak of! Reader comments can be really useful for plot development. Glad that you like my ideas for Fantina!

@RisingMew I can't exactly start creating team members at this point, so my creativity can be focused on gym leaders right now. Flexibility is important right now since the games aren't coming out until November and I may not get to play until later depending on if I want to pre-order or not. I really don't get why they made such a big change between games; did enough people complain about Fantina not being the third gym in Diamond and Pearl that they decided to fix that for Platinum? Depending on how things go, Joli will make for a great political ally for Tian in the future at least.

Unless you're doing a zombie-run, I can't really see how resurrecting the dead can't be complicated for a run. Though I'll probably be avoiding the 'caveman' stereotype because there is no way that one would speak the same language we do now. I'm really looking forward to the full story in the future.

@Moon Yeah, Gourgeist has a really pretty shiny.

Chapter 13: Hearthome City and Route 209

Hey everyone, and welcome back to Building up a Brilliant Run, the blog that has a vaguely catchy title that also sounds a bit narcissistic. Today, we focus on the next big travel chunk of our future playthrough, starting with an exploration of Hearthome City.

Last time, I was so focused on how I was going to handle Fantina's gym that I really didn't go over Hearthome as a whole. And that's a pretty big thing to miss since Hearthome is one of the bigger cities in Sinnoh. It actually got a bit of a makeover between games as well; Platinum is on the left above and D/P is on the right. The cobblestones everywhere give it a pretty different appearance imo and I like how they added some Pokemon over the gates to Amity Park. Speaking of which, am I the only one hoping we can bring in more Pokemon than that really limited list into Amity Park? They only added the starters in Platinum too, which would limit me to Pikachu, Psyduck, Clefairy, Pachirisu, Drifloon, Buneary, and Happiny. Most of which I may not have by this point. And it's only them as well so I can't get into the square if I have a Raichu, not a Pikachu. Yes, it's weird.

Hearthome City is also home to the Super Contest Hall, which is where Fantina/Joli is found in Platinum before you can fight the gym. It's also where you find your mom for the first time. I'll probably turn this into a theater that Joli built/supports in the story as I can't see a reason for any of the team to do contests here. As someone who did a lot of theater as a kid, it's not really something you can just waltz into without preparation. There's also the Poffin House, which will probably work a lot like making curry did in Sword/Shield, and the Pokemon Fan Club, which doesn't really hold much.

There's one place that I might want to look into though, and that's the Foreign Building. Yes, that's what it's called in-game, though it's clearly based on a church of some kind. Potentially it's a temple for either the Steel or Water Dragon Gods, but I'm leaning in a different direction. Considering it's a foreign building, I'm thinking it's a church for either Xerneas or Yveltal that Joli or her husband had built when she first came to Sinnoh. Leaning more towards Yveltal since a Ghost type might not be the fondest of a Legendary associated with life. It would probably be a point of contention with the nobles focused on ousting Joli from power. Considering that, it's probably a very private place for Joli to worship. Maybe where Tian meets her first rather than the Contest Hall? Or where they can meet and talk seriously for the first time. Yeah, that works out well.

Buildings aside, there is also a potential Pokemon you can get here, though it varies depending on the game. In Platinum, you can go to Bebe's house and pick up a gift Eevee before you fight Fantina, giving you the chance to maybe evolve it with stones, friendship, or by running back to Eterna for the Moss Rock if you want Leafeon. Wonder if that will still work in the remakes considering Sword/Shield has us use the Leaf Stone. That'll be interesting. In D/P, you need the national Pokedex before you get the Eevee, but a Hiker will give you an egg that hatches into Happiny instead. Probably why it's on the list for Amity Square.

If I have a choice, I would vastly prefer the Eevee. I love their versatility and I did have a Vaporeon named Anya on my team for my first nuzlocke of Platinum. Great Pokemon. Happiny is...not really the best in my opinion. Baby Pokemon tend to be rather frail to begin with and I've never been too fond of the high HP and no physical defense that Chansey and Blissey have going. But they may be picked up and just not added to the team. Happiny would probably be a street kid rescued, or maybe one questioned about Joli's actions? Eevee is a potential trainee at least.

But I digress because Hearthome has one other thing to offer; the next battle with Dasheng. Well, sorta. In D/P, the battle actually takes place in the city, but Platinum has it happen after you beat Fantina in the little gate between Hearthome and Route 209. Actually, I'm pretty sure the battle in D/P can be triggered before you enter Hearthome itself, or maybe it's before you can grab the Happiny Egg. Either way, Tian and her team are in for a fight. Considering there's a gym battle that could potentially happen, Dasheng will have some differences between his teams and levels.

But not much in line-up. His Starly (which for some odd reason is still a Starly at level 19) from D/P is turned into a more fitting Staravia for Platinum, and the rest of his team remains the same if you choose Chimchar. There's also an odd level change; Starly is his lowest level Pokemon at 19 with Pontya/Roselia at 20 and Dasheng at 21 in D/P. Platinum puts Staravia at level 25, Ponyta and Roselia at level 23, and Prinplup at 27. The only move difference is Prinplup swapping Bubble for Bubblebeam; the rest of the movesets are in different places, but are identical otherwise. So if they go with Platinum format, Niao is Dasheng's strongest aside from him and in Diamond/Pearl, she's his weakest. Something to think about.

This will also be the first time the team has seen him for a battle since before the first gym, so there's definitely some big differences here. He's added a Ponyta and a Roselia to his squad alongside Niao and has evolved into a Prinplup. Possibly a promotion of some kind within the temple? But that begs the question; why is he fighting Tian here? While the first battle makes sense as Dasheng assumes Tian has been kidnapped by Houzi, that clearly isn't what is happening by now. Since Tian has judged two (potentially three) gym leaders and clearly as the support of Dialga, the Temple has no choice but to support her openly. Taking her back home just wouldn't really make sense here.

So, why try to fight her? Hmm...I imagine that Tian and Dasheng both are feeling a bit betrayed by the other. Tian probably went right to Dasheng when Dialga started contacting her, but he probably didn't believe her or just refused to support her. That's why she had to put her trust in Houzi rather than setting off with Dasheng at her side. The battle on Route 203 probably made things worse for her. On Dasheng's side, Tian has made a huge jump from low-level daughter to the Voice of the Steel Dragon God, and left him behind. And now she's refusing to listen to him and is instead traveling with a bunch of criminals and low-lifes rather than the well-trained guards of the temple. The guardians of the voice are supposed to be those she trusts above all others, and this probably makes him feel like she doesn't trust him.

Now, this makes sense, but I don't feel that Dasheng would try to attack Tian in rage. But that rage could easily be channeled to someone else; Houzi. If Houzi hadn't stepped in, then Tian would have remained at the temple, or at least she would have in Dasheng's mind. None of this would have happened if Houzi hadn't been there. And Houzi is nothing more than a thief. So Dasheng would attack on the grounds of bringing Houzi back to the temple to pay for his crimes. If that has the side-effect of taking one of Tian's main guards from her, that's fine with him. Ponyta and Roselia are probably eager to impress their new captain and Niao already has a grudge she's willing to let out. Yeah, that works for me.

So the fight happens and Dasheng will likely lose and be run off. It will probably be where Tian firmly makes her stand of supporting her current team, and Houzi in particular, over their history. This will probably inspire a few more of the later battles in the future, but we'll say that Dasheng is driven off for now. Either way, it'll be an ugly moment. But after that's done, we can finally reach Route 209.

Route 209 is one of the longer routes of Sinnoh, or at least it feels like that to me. Maybe it's because of the layout? There are plenty of Pokemon to catch in various ways, so let's take a look at some of the various encounters.

Bit of a variety this time, though there is a big difference between D/P and Platinum. Ralts, Roselia, and Duskull are Platinum only while you can only get Starly and Gastly in Diamond and Pearl. Bonsly is a Pearl Pokemon and Mime. Jr can only be caught in Diamond. And of course, there's Spiritomb, which requires placing the Odd Keystone in that Hallowed Tower and then speaking to at least 32 people in the Underground, which was online back in the day. I've never been able to do that in past games because I didn't really know enough people, but it's a lot easier these days if I can bother to pay for the Internet Access on my switch through Nintendo. One of the worst things they did with the Switch, honestly.

Route 209 has two paths you can follow. One leads directly to the next town, and the other leads to the Lost Tower, the gravesite for the Sinnoh region. Probably a place that Tian will want to stop by at some point, though that discussion can wait until next time. But before we go, there is a topic I wish to discuss, and that's something that RisingMew mentioned in her comment. She said that Fantina would be judged by Tian and co., but that's not exactly what's happening here. Tian is the only one with the power to judge; she's the one with the final say. And I've started to wonder just what would happen if one of the team members disagreed with her decision. That team member, Houzi.

I mentioned in earlier postings that Houzi has begun to feel like a bitter character with some rage against the wealthy and elite. While I can see him helping Tian at first because he feels that he owes her for helping him, I think there's another reason he's sticking around. Tian's journey is putting him up against corrupt nobles that he can beat down, allowing some catharsis for this inadequacy he feels. He sincerely believes that all people with money are corrupt and evil and deserve punishment. And I think this would cause some problems when it comes to Joli, a wealthy and powerful person who is none of those things.

I can definitely see an argument brewing between him and Tian at this point as if Brilliant Diamond follows the D/P path instead of Platinum, they're leaving town without a fight. Houzi could easily accuse Tian of being blinded by Joli and the bond they share of being judged by xenophobes. Tian on the other hand, can easily turn the tables and point out that her job is to judge the nobles, not just beat them to a pulp. Just having money doesn't make you a bad person. This could end up with Tian benching Houzi for a bit in the future, especially if she spares more nobles. It's useful for me as I may choose to temporarily box Houzi for a gym battle or two, like with Crasher Wake and Fantina considering the type weaknesses. It could also be good for character development as Houzi could grow to understand that the wealthy really are no different from the poor and he's judging them for their money just like he's been judged all his life for his lack of money.

Of course, this all relies on Brilliant Diamond having Fantina be the fifth gym leader instead of the third, and me being able to keep Houzi alive. But I haven't lost a starter yet in a documented nuzlocke, and I'm hoping to continue the trend with this one. Still, it's something to think about to allow Houzi to grow as a character, much like Tian is doing. Fun thought exercise at least.

That should do it for now so until next time! 👋

Last edited:

Moon

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
That's...a lot of team possibilities.

RisingMew

Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Ooh, what a fascinating update! I hadn't even thought about what I was implying with the "& co." comment but it was really cool to see you hash out what would happen if any of the teammates ever disagreed with Tian's choices. Boxing is always something that's difficult to puzzle out for more original storylockes such as this one, but disagreements such as Houzi's might provide an answer to that conundrum!

Eevee is definitely the better pick for Hearthome, so I hope that change is one that makes it into BDSP! Besides the Eeveelutions being some of my personal favorites when it comes to Pokèmon in general, they're a lot more versatile and allow you to pick the type that best fits your team. Blissey can still be a great 'mon (so great, in fact, that many "pro nuzlockers" have banned themselves from using it on account of its bulk), but it is also very situational. On that note, I wonder if Sylveon will make it into BDSP if the other Eeveelutions are there? I imagine the Fairy type will probably be in BDSP, but it might not be!

Another thing I really like about this update is how you break down the fight with Dasheng. Since he's a rival who doesn't want to hurt Tian, I imagine it might be a bit of a challenge to come up with plausible reasons for him to attack her and her allies! Having him target Houzi instead makes a lot of sense and also sets up future rival fights since, unless something goes horribly wrong, Dasheng will most definitely lose this fight and walk away with a bit of a wounded ego--not to mention a sense of failing at his duties. Rival interactions are some of my favorite parts of reading and writing Pokèmon stories, so I'm eager to see how Dasheng's character develops!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Am I the only one who avoids going to pick up the dropped and hidden items in the grass because doing so activates the timer on the berries and they're always dead when I reach them?
That's why they were always dead!? 😱

I adore your idea about Fossil Pokemon and am intrigued by this necromantic third party. I'm worried about a potential Cranidos because they're so frail! I hope the team would accept before they die (again), if they do! 😭

I'm fascinated by your in-party fighting ideas. 👀 Maybe Houzi can triumphantly return as an Infernape during a clutch battle.

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
@Moon It's less than it seems since there are differences between D/P and Platinum. Not to mention I might be able to use Dupes Clause to rule Pokemon out if I can keep them alive.

@RisingMew Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the inspiration! Permanent boxing vs temporary boxing is always more awkward with gijinka runs since there usually isn't an actual box to put them in. Unless someone wants to go someplace relatively dystopian for a run, which is always an option.

I love Eevee, as you could probably guess, and I love getting the chance to use them because you have so much potential variety! Blissey could be great, but that would require me being able to keep a Happiny and a Chansey alive, and they remind me a lot of Wailord. Great HP stat, but not the greatest defenses. It doesn't help they're only weak to Fighting and most Fighting types are physical. I'm pretty sure they will bring in the Fairy type; it will definitely make Garchomp easier to handle if you can get a Togekiss though. Immunity to all Stab moves would take a lot of the risk out of the fight.

I know a lot of people like rivals you're supposed to hate, but rivals with a stronger connection than 'dislike' just are more interesting to me. Both as a writer and as a reader. Dasheng/Barry used to hold the title for strongest rival for a while based solely on levels, so he could be very dangerous. It's actually very fitting that he's a member of the Piplup line, which feels very prideful to me.

@Bowser's Family Vacation Yeah, that's why. It always bugged me until I just didn't bother going north enough to see the berry trees in one playthrough and then was actually able to get them after getting past the Bike Path. Fossil Pokemon are interesting from a world-building standpoint. I mean, you are literally bringing back a Pokemon from the dead! Someone with a horror preference could easily turn Pokemon into some sort of necromancer state or something. Or just Pokemon Snakewood, if I understand that hack correctly. Cranidos is frail, but they're better than Shieldon since they don't have two 4x weaknesses to deal with. And Houzi's return could be an option for the future...

Chapter 14: The Lost Tower, Solaceon Town, and Solaceon Ruins

Hey everyone, and welcome back to my little plotting blog! Today, we'll be going over a few of the less gameplay heavy portions of the Sinnoh region, starting with the graveyard for Sinnoh Pokemon, the Lost Tower.

Pointier than a lot of the other gravesites in other regions, huh? The Lost Tower is a bit of an odd duck compared to other regions that came before it. Kanto and Hoenn both had plot-mandated reasons for you to visit the tower at some point. Johto shared with Kanto I think, unless the Burned Tower counted as its graveyard and in that case, you are again required to visit. But the Lost Tower doesn't really have anything story-required for you, so you can easily skip it. At least, you can in Platinum. In Diamond and Pearl, you had to reach the top of the tower in order to get the Strength HM, which you needed to beat the game. In Platinum, they not only replaced the HM with a Spell Tag for some reason, but they also filled the tower with Fog on higher levels. You can't get either the Spell Tag or the Cleanse Tag without having a Pokemon use Defog on the top floor. It's weird.

Not the greatest variety of catches here either. In Diamond and Pearl, this was the main place to grab a Murkrow or a Misdreavus respectably, especially if you went through Eterna Forest during the day. Duskull is a Platinum only Pokemon, and your chances of finding a Golbat go up as you reach higher floors. I'm still not sure why Platinum felt it was important to remove Murkrow and Misdreavus from the dex because I've always wanted to use them. Ah well, maybe in this game. Though Staraptor is so good...

Anyways, I digress. For story reasons, Tian would probably visit the tower to pay respects even if I've been lucky enough to avoid losing anyone in battle. There probably will be at least one team member with a reason to grieve, and if I do end up bringing a Fossil Pokemon on the team, they probably have a minor fascination with the tower. Any catches I get here are possibly associated with the tower itself, or a grieving child left behind and Tian takes them in to give them a chance at a better life. That, or she'll just take them to the nearby Solaceon Town.

They changed the houses between games which is kind of neat. The cabins were a nice touch in Platinum, and they spruced up the daycare as well. Solaceon Town is home to the Daycare where I can breed my Pokemon for potential eggs. I've never really used this in Nuzlockes, partially because I usually give myself a no-breeding rule, but also because I tend to mainly have and use male Pokemon for some reason. Not to mention I'm not really sure how this would work in a gijinka run without it getting kinda squicky. But that begs the question, what is Solaceon in this universe? If I went literal, would that make the Daycare some kind of brothel? Or a breeding ground for potential child soldiers? I don't think that would make a lot of sense.

On the other hand, this place could work really well as an orphanage or a kind of school. The big open area is great for children to play in, and the farming community could always send their kids to school on days when they don't need the help in the fields. Considering how close it is to Hearthome, we could say that Fantina/Joli had a hand in setting up the school, or her husband did. Yeah, I like that! Not to mention this could be a good place for the team to wind down a bit after the Lost Tower and maybe play with the kids. That is, before they have to take a look at the area you can see on the far right; the Solaceon Ruins.

The Solaceon Ruins are relatively similar to Johto's Ruins of Alph, right down to having only one potential encounter; Unown. Unown is...an odd Pokemon, to say the least. They come in 28 different forms ranging from all letters of the alphabet to a question mark and an exclamation point. The only move they are capable of learning ever is Hidden Power, so they weren't in Sword/Shield since that was one of the moves removed. Fancy script in the shape of their letters is known as the Unown Alphabet, and it's generally used for ancient writings that can be read by the player.

In Diamond and Pearl, the Solaceon Ruins are relatively unimportant. There are a few items you can pick up here and there, but other than catching Unown, there is no reason for you to visit and explore. Platinum is different however. The items you can get there have been changed from a Repel, an Escape Rope, and a Big Mushroom into a Water Stone, a Fire Stone, and a Thunder Stone. Much easier to evolve your Eevee that way. The ruins are also where you can pick up the HM for Defog, which is one of the lesser used HMs though it has a place in competitive play from what I understand. You get it much later in Diamond and Pearl.

Unown also have one other use in Platinum, and that is getting Alphabet Seals. Solaceon is where you meet the Seal Woman, who gives you a Seal Case. Showing her son different versions of Unown will get you 10 seals of the letter associated with that Unown. With that, you can spell out some interesting things. But not something that's likely to happen in a nuzlocke. I like the seal mechanic in theory, but a lot of it is locked until around the 8th gym, and the plot is mostly over by then! I really don't understand why they didn't put the Seal Case in Jubilife or something. Or in Hearthome to go with the contests; that would have made so much more sense!

Not that there would really be a reason to use them in-story without making things really weird. But it does bring some sparks to gameplay when your water type joins the battle surrounded by bubbles. Or stars, or whatever seals you were lucky enough to get. I don't think seals were really a part of Diamond and Pearl, so at least they were a bit more noticeable in Platinum. We'll see how the developers try to handle it in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.

Relatively short update today, but I want to go over the next couple of routes together so I think I'll stop here for now. See you all next time! 👋

RisingMew

Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
I really appreciate how you investigate even relatively "unimportant" areas such as the Lost Tower and the Solaceon Ruins--having a plan for places like these really helps flesh out the world you're building! Also, I think that having the daycare in Solaceon become a sort of orphanage or school fits really well, plus it acts as a sort-of easter egg by alluding to the fact that no-one in the Pokèmon canon seems to have any idea where baby Pokèmon come from XD

Also, I had no clue that Misdreavus and Murkrow didn't make it into the Platinum dex! At least the potential to encounter them would be an okay consolation prize for missing out on some of Platinum's better changes should BDSP really stick close to their roots :0

One thing I'm quite curious about is whether you'll actually bother catching an Unown from the Ruins! You didn't say in your post, and I think that such a cryptic, strange Pokèmon could have some potential in this run--not necessarily as a viable teammate but definitely as a lore encounter! They're canonically quite connected to Arceus, who is theoretically native to Sinnoh, so there's a lot of potential for a heavenly messenger theme with an Unown. I doubt BDSP will refer any more to Arceus than the originals, especially since we're getting a whole game dedicated to Arceus just a few months later, but I just thought it might be something interesting for you to consider :P They could also be connected to Palkia or Dialga, since many of Sinnoh's mythic texts are written in Unown, or perhaps some sort of scholar of history? Or, if the Ruins wind up containing the elemental stones for an Eevee teammate, perhaps they could even serve as a sort of one-time mentor to inspire the Eevee's evolution.

Moon

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
Pokédex Entry
solaceon ruins are very interesting. i really like the seal cases

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
I love your idea for Solaceon Town! I think it's important in a nuzlocke to allow your characters rest. Readers need the rest too!

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
@RisingMew The best thing about writing a nuzlocke is that the important things can become trivial and the trivial can become important. It all depends on the story and how it fits into your world. I'm pretty sure that since we're supposed to be around 10 or 11 in-game, the daycare workers are just trying to get out of explaining what's going on. ...Or they sincerely have no idea how some of it works. Like, how does a Magneton breed with a Voltorb? It's weird. Misdreavus and Murkrow deserve better in these remakes.

I probably will because there's an area later where you can catch either an Unown or a Hippopotas only, so might as well guarantee the Hippopotas in case I need a ground type for Volkner. It'll probably be a rune scholar since I highly doubt I'll use it during a playthrough. The stones might be there, but if they follow Diamond and Pearl, they may just be a dead end. It all depends on the developers.

@Moon I like the Seal Cases too, but I wish we could have had earlier access to most of them instead of *before the eighth gym*. Just put them in Hearthome so we can use them in contests!

@Bowser's Family Vacation They definitely are important parts of nuzlockes. No story should be full speed all the time. And glad you like my idea for Solaceon!

Chapter 15: Route 210, Route 215, and Veilstone City

Hello there all readers, and welcome back to my blog! The last time we talked, we discussed the Lost Tower and the Solaceon Ruins, and I mentioned that I wanted to discuss the next two routes together. This is because Routes 210 and 215 are linked in a way that I personally find rather confusing. Let me show you a picture of Route 210.

See what I mean? Route 210 is another long route for us to explore, but we only get access to about a quarter of it right now. From the bottom of the picture up to that little house there is all we can visit before we have to turn aside to the next Route. In the game, we have a bunch of Psyduck like you see on the right blocking the path north. They're like the original dancing guys in Black 2/White 2, who exist solely to keep you from going too far off the expected path. I'm pretty sure I'll just ignore them in-story because Tian really doesn't have a reason to head north right now. Her next stop is Veilstone City, and why would she head away from that path right now?

Of course, I can always bring them back later when the game forces you to Celestic Town thanks to Cynthia, though I'll probably have to change the reason for that as well. But for now, let's take a look at the parts of Route 210 you can access. The house right there is known as the Cabin Cafe, and it's one of the best places in the game since it lets you buy Moomoo Milks. Oddly enough, you had to buy them one at a time in Diamond and Pearl; they didn't add the option to buy in packs of 12 until Platinum. Weird. You also can battle the trainers here, which are a bit different between games. The collectors in D/P have three of the same Pokemon while in Platinum, they have one of the rarer Pokemon like Munchlax or Heracross. They also pay more in Platinum, which is weird.

There are also a lot of potential Pokemon to catch, though which ones are available varies a lot depending on which game you're playing. Scyther, Hoothoot, Noctowl, Roselia, and Staravia are all Platinum only encounters here, though Hoothoot and Noctowl are night-only encounters. You can get Bonsly in Pearl, Mime Jr. in Diamond, and Kricketune in both, but you can't find them in Platinum on this route. This was actually a huge surprise to me since I always associated Scyther with Route 210 since I usually encounter one when I play Platinum. Kricketune is definitely a lot more common in D/P than I remembered.

So after getting through this shortened route, and grabbing a ton of Milks because they are really good for this point of the game, we turn onto Route 215. It's a relatively straight-forward path, and I do like the layering of having us climb up and over people before climbing down to make the route stretch out a bit. There are a few scary battles here, like the potential double battle right before the entrance to Veilstone. That Drifblim with Aftermath always scares me no matter how much HP my Pokemon has when I KO it. So glad we can turn it into a singles.

Of course, we have an encounter here as well. Noticed how similar some of these Pokemon are to the encounters on 210? Yeah, me too. Lickitung, Scyther, Marill, and Staravia are Platinum only encounters, and you can only get Geodude, Ponyta, and Kricketune in D/P. Literally the only Pokemon the games have in common for this route are Abra and Kadabra. It's times like this when you feel incredibly appreciative for the expansion they gave the Platinum dex. Since I'm playing with Dupes Clause, I am really concerned for my team diversity if they end up going with the D/P dex. Especially since a lot of the Pokemon added in Platinum have cool evolutions, even if I rarely use them.

But finally, we reach the next city of Veilstone. Veilstone is another one of those very large cities that Pokemon can have. It also got a minor upgrade in design in Platinum. Changing the brown edges of the walls to gray makes everything look a bit more classy, and they lightened up the stone for the streets as well. You also have the building designs change slightly for the Department Store as well as Galactic Headquarters up top, though I'm not entirely sure what they were going for in Platinum.

Veilstone is also home to the last known Game Corner to use slots in both games. After Gen 4 ended, there hasn't really been an option to gamble outside of maybe the Let's Go games? I never played so someone will have to let me know how they handled that one. I'm curious about what they'll do to the game corner here because it's a great way to get some cool items and TMs. Of course, with TMS being reusable nowadays...unless they go the TR route like with Sword/Shield, maybe they won't be needed as much? But you could still grab things like the Metronome, the Silk Scarf, and the Wide Lens.

In story, however, I'm thinking of keeping it as a gambling hall of some kind. Maybe change it from slots to mah-jong, or fan-tan, or just some dice games. It could be a decent way to show corruption of the city. It's also a good place to look around since for one, Lucas/Xiao mentions visiting the Game Corner in Platinum and getting disctracted. So that could be a reason for Houzi to pick a fight out of protectiveness. It's also another place the player can find Looker in Platinum, which could be an interesting story encounter. There might also be a way to work in the gift Porygon that you can get in Platinum, or the Massage parlor that's in town to raise happiness.

Hmm...gambling, a massage parlor, the Department store that sells a bunch of things...Veilstone is looking to be a good place for hedonists. Especially since 'massage parlor' can be an euphemism for 'brothel' in this day and age. On their own, none of these things are specifically bad. I mean, all of them have their place and regulating them would be a lot better for society as a whole rather than condemning them, but what does that mean for this story? Dialga wouldn't really care about any of this unless they were leading towards a darker path, and greed and lust are traditional sins...

Guess it's time to take a look at Maylene, the Veilstone City gym leader. Maylene is...weird. Despite being either the third or fourth gym leader depending on the game, her team remains mostly identical between D/P and Platinum. In Diamond and Pearl, her Machoke and Meditite are level 27 and Lucario is level 30. In Platinum, Meditite is level 28, Machoke is level 29, and Lucario is level 32. The only move changes are Meditite has Meditate and Detect in Diamond and Pearl while Machoke has Brick Break and Leer, and Platinum gives Machoke Karate Chop and Strength and Meditite Fake Out and Rock Tomb. Not sure which team I'd rather fight to be honest.

There's a change in gym design as well though the basic premise remains the same. Diamond and Pearl have you move the little walls out of the way to create a path and fight the four "Karate Quads" while Platinum has you move punching bags. The difference is in the size of the gym...and those holes they have in the floor in Platinum, why do that? Why leave holes in the floor, that seems very dangerous!

But I digress, back to story focus. We can assume that there would be a lot of people coming to Veilstone to gamble and visit the 'massage parlor' and the department store, which could be turned into an exotic market of some kind. If these have noble support, this could result in a lot of money for the current ruling family. So if I'm leaning towards the negative side of things, Maylene could be a corrupt noble whose greed would be her downfall. But I'm a little unsure of this and that's because Maylene's most associated with her Lucario. The Lucario stereotype is generally 'warrior of justice' and as I personally like Maylene thanks to a well-done arc in the Sinnoh anime season, I'm not sure if I want her to be evil.

Hmm...okay, what about this? We had an example of a good noble and a daughter who wants to live up to his example in Gardenia earlier. Why not go for the opposite here? Maylene's parent, also a Lucario, has been corrupted and Maylene is the one who goes to Tian with her concerns. After all, the people might be blind to Maylene's...mother's faults because they're enjoying the market and the brothels and the gambling halls as much as anyone else. Maylene can be the one who sees the potential downfall of Veilstone as there are those losing all their money and ending up as beggars and the poor are being utilized as cheap labor for little pay.

Yeah, I like that. It will allow for the corruption to still shine through that the Steel Dragon God wants removed from Sinnoh and yet still have a noble as a good person to help drive Houzi's potential character arc. We also have a good Lucario and an 'evil' Lucario as well, which would be neat to see. But the family name... Qīngxī de shìyě means 'clear sight', which could work for Maylene. Qingxi Shiye sounds good and her mother could be
Duōyún, which means 'clouded'. The Karate Quads can be family guards or representatives of families loyal to Duoyun. I like that.

Okay, I think that's good for this update. Next time, the return of Team Galactic and the path to Pastoria City! See you next time! 👋

RisingMew

Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
I was about to make a comment on the surprising variety of encounters for these routes until I read the annotations about all of the ones that are Platinum exclusive 👀 I'm beginning to understand why so many nuzlockers prefer to run Platinum instead of Diamond or Pearl--if you're playing with Dupes clause, you don't have a lot of options! I once again hope that BDSP take more from Platinum than their true predecessors ;o;

I really like your thoughts on Veilstone! It definitely has marketplace vibes with all of those warehouses plus the department store, and the thriving mercantile spaces are balanced well by all of the "indulgences" you've plotted out--very realistic to a big city! I think having Maylene's mother be the problem in the city is actually quite the fun twist because it could potentially serve as an instance of Tian + Dialga giving favor to the reign of a new gym leader by deposing her.

Oh, and for your questions about the game corner in Let's Go--no, you couldn't gamble there at all. The slot machines were even replaced with arcade games (which you also couldn't play). I honestly doubt that the casino will remain intact for BDSP because Gamefreak is now (understandably) leery of introducing children to the concept of gambling :P

I'm excited to see how Team Plasma factors in next time!

Moon

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
Pokédex Entry
i really like the on the nose names for the characters.
I also find it fun to say Clear Sight and Clouded Sight

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
@RisingMew Platinum is definitely the better version to play if you aren't using a randomlocke or searching for a specific Pokemon that's not in Platinum. There are just so many good quality-of-life changes... Veilstone definitely has a lot of things that can appeal to a shopper, or at least people who want to spend a lot of money. Glad you enjoy the idea of having Maylene's mother be the villain here rather than Maylene herself. I do wonder how we'll pick up certain TMs in the remakes that you can only get through the Game Corner. Will Voltorb Flip return? I actually had a lot of fun with that so I'm not mad.

@Moon I saw a quote one time that said writers put more meaning into character names than people put into naming their children, and they would be right.

Chapter 16: Veilstone City, Route 214, and Maniac Tunnel

Hello readers, and welcome back to this story-planning project! Happy Independence Day to my American readers and happy 4th of July to all other readers to whom this day has no value! Unless it's your birthday I guess. In which case, happy birthday! Last time, we talked about Veilstone City and the Veilstone City Gym. Today, I want to go over a few things that unlock after you get the 3rd or 4th gym badge as well as explore the Department Store a bit.

The Department Store is similar to other department stores in earlier games; it is the largest store in the region that holds a variety of items for the player to buy, ranging from X Items to Healing supplies to Vitamins to boost stats. Veilstone's store is no exception, but it does have one big change between games that I'd like to discuss. In Diamond and Pearl, there are 5 floors. In Platinum, a basement is added where you can buy three things. A small assortment of berries, different Poffins, and Lava Cookies.

Lava Cookies are a huge deal because they act as Full Heals and you can get them before you battle Maylene in Platinum. That means you have access to Full Heals which are a third of the cost a full two gyms before you can usually unlock them for purchase. I really like going in and buying them in bulk for battles because of that. Also because I love the mental image of my Pokemon being confused or sick, and then feeling better after they get a cookie. The Poffins can also be useful if you want to try and boost your beauty stats because they are combination Poffins. That makes it easier to boost Beauty on a Feebas for example, even if it doesn't like Dry poffins.

But enough about that, let's talk about Team Galactic. Veilstone City is our next encounter with them, partially because it's home to their headquarters. Lucas, or in our case Xiao, shows up after you get the gym badge to ask for help in retrieving the Pokedex that some grunts stole from him. I'm...honestly not sure why they took it in-game. I mean, I get that Pokedexes are rare and important, but I'm not sure how it would help with Team Galactic's plans. Unless they wanted to use it to confirm the location of the Lake Trio, but eh.

As for Xiao, we know from our encounter in Jubilife that Team Galactic is interested in Laoshi Xuezhe's research, so they probably jumped him for that. The question then would be what Xiao is doing in Veilstone in the first place. He makes a joke about the Game Corner in Platinum, but I don't think Houzi would be really happy to hear that Xiao was gambling. Maybe he's again bringing a letter to Tian from her mother and also some information that Xuezhe has. If Yangguang wanted Xuezhe before, it's possible he reached out to try and recruit him legitimately and let something slip that worries the scholar. Something to consider later on at least.

Lucas has the same team in all games if you choose Chimchar as your starter. To my surprise, there are no differences between his team in levels or movesets either. But I highly doubt I'll see anyone other than the Clefairy against the Galactic grunts we're battling. The grunts however will have pretty different teams. Diamond and Pearl have all their Pokemon at level 25 and consist of one grunt with a Beautifly and a Stunky and the other with a Dustox and a Croagunk. ...I see why Lucas would want some help, especially since Clefairy is likely to be Fairy type in the remakes. That's a heavy weakness to Poison. Platinum makes it worse by swapping Beautifly and Dustox out for a pair of level 24 Zubat, and bumping Stunky and Croagunk up a level.

After winning in the fight and taking back the Pokedex, Looker will show up and point us towards the Galactic Warehouse. The only important thing for us is the HM for Fly, though there's also a Dusk Stone you can't get until later. In Platinum, it's completely useless since Murkrow and Misdreavus aren't in the game, but it's handy for those who can't find one in the Underground for Diamond and Pearl. After that, you're free to leave, and that's when you want to head south.

But before we do that, we have to ask a question. Why would Looker direct us to the Fly HM in-story? He's not an ally for us and we still don't know who he's working for. Was he maybe spotted by one of the team members and chased, leading to him dropping the HM in his haste? Was he purposefully leading the team to a specific warehouse? Was he trying to get them out of the way so that something, or someone, wouldn't be seen? We've confirmed he isn't working for Team Galactic, but there's still the option of him working for Yangguang after all.

Hmm...I think I want to keep his goals secret for now since I'm not quite sure what they are at the moment. But I feel like the story would work better if Looker is not a servant of either Yangguang or Yueliang. In the games, he doesn't really have a connection to either of them and his focus is mainly on bringing down Team Galactic. So he could be the eyes and ears of a third party. Considering that he first appears in Platinum, does he maybe have a connection to Giratina? ...No, that wouldn't really make sense and I'm not about to drag another Legendary into the story without reason. Sinnoh is a bit bloated with Legendary Pokemon as it is.

So who else would have power here and would also have an interest in Tian? ...Oh, what about the current Emperor? Yangguang and Yueliang are only fighting for the position of heir at the moment so there needs to be someone currently on the throne. The Emperor would have an interest in anyone speaking as the voice of the Dragon God for either Dialga or Palkia, so he would send Looker out to keep an eye on them. Cautious, but I don't consider the current Emperor to be evil at the moment. Though that may be what he wants us to think...

I probably need to think of a name for this guy. We have Cyrus as the sun, Cynthia as the moon, and Tian as the sky if we want to keep the theme going. So...heaven then? 'Heavenly father' comes out as Tiān fù, but that's a little too close to Tian. 'Celestial being' is Xiān, which is still similar to Tian, but at least isn't her name exactly so I think I'll go with that. Probably make him a Garchomp too, in case I decide that Yueliang will be taking over for her father and I still need a Garchomp to fight. If I decide Yueliang is who I want to beat, then she can just have him killed before Tian gets to him.

But enough potential patricide and back to gameplay! Another longish route for us, and that's Route 214. This path leads us towards the Valor Lakefront and the Hotel Grand Lake, which point us towards Pastoria City and our next gym badge. It's also a decent place to grind before Maylene's gym since there are some good trainers here you can easily rematch. There are also a few good hidden items you can find here, like a Razor Fang in Platinum which can be used to evolve a Gligar into Gliscor, handy for the Fighting gym. Let's check out our potential catches now.

And it's time for another round of 'reasons I really hope they use the Platinum dex in the remakes'! Stunky is a Diamond-only encounter while Sudowoodo is a Pearl exclusive. The only other Pokemon found on this route in D/P are Geodude, Graveler, Ponyta, and Girafarig, with only Graveler also being found in Platinum. Surprised that Zubat is Platinum only? So was I, though it's a night-only encounter.

Now there is one other place where we can get a catch here, and that's the Maniac's Tunnel. The Maniac here is a collector of Unown and he challenges you to a race to see who can catch all 26 Unown letters the fastest. The race ends in a tie, of course, but catching all the Unown leads to the Maniac completing the tunnel and giving you access to the ? and ! versions of Unown. ...So not really something useful and definitely not something a Nuzlocker will be doing. It's really only useful for getting the Letter Seals for the Ball Capsules.

So why am I bringing up a place that apparently is only here for Seals? Well, the Maniac Tunnel is the only place in Sinnoh, in all three games, where you can get a Hippopotas. The chance of you encountering one goes up as you catch more Unown, with a max of 20% if you have all 26 letters. At base with no or only one Unown, it's 5%. But if you're like and use Dupes Clause, it's an easy catch since the only other encounter in the cave is Geodude, an easy Pokemon to dupes out. Now, I've never used Hippopotas or Hippowdon before. My team is usually set up by this point and considering the next gym is a Water gym...it's not the healthiest place for an encounter. But I like to grab one because it's a good back-up Ground type for later.

Another short update this time, but it's a holiday and the next few areas are ones that I want to group together. Hopefully we can get into some more story and world-building next time too. See you all next time!

Moon

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Okay, so there's sun, moon, sky, and heavenly father. I wonder what comes next.

RisingMew

Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
I never really thought about how Team Galactic has pretty much no reason to steal Lucas' Pokedex in the canon games...it wouldn't be a Pokèmon game without a few convenient story flubs here and there, but it's still funny to consider! Your reasons for Lucas/Xiao to be thrown into the thick of things make a lot more sense XD

I really like your thoughts on Looker and the emperor, and the idea of Cynthia/Yueliang killing her father has me going 👀 I know the whole purpose of this story is kinda to subvert the "good gym leader/champion" trope but dang. At least it's quite accurate to history XD

Hippowdon can be a great 'mon, especially considering the fact that the eighth gym leader in these games is an electric type one (technically--he has two non-electric 'mon in Diamond and Pearl for some reason). It's super physically defensive and can hit like a truck too! Plus, the ability to set up weather could provide some interesting strategies here and there, though it has just as much of an opportunity to be a hindrance to the rest of the team. Not bad for an encounter that's pretty much guaranteed for you :D

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
@Moon Probably something to do with the stars, but I'm not sure how many other characters involved with the royal family will need to be named.

@RisingMew Sometimes Pokemon games just have weird scenarios with the evil teams. The Abomasnow in X/Y is probably the one that sticks out the most to me, but this one is still pretty odd. Glad that my ideas make sense for this. History is sadly filled with a lot of people murdering each other to either gain or maintain power. Hippowdon can definitely be very useful in Sinnoh and for Ground Monolockes.

Chapter 17: Valor Lakefront, Hotel Grand Lake, Route 213, Route 212, and the Pokemon Mansion

Hey everyone and welcome back to my little planning blog for Brilliant Diamond! Sorry about missing last week; basement flooded and I was pretty stressed out at the time. But everything's fixed now and I can get back to my planning! We have a lot of ground to cover for this update so let's get started.

After leaving Route 214, we get to access the Valor Lakefront. Unlike the Verity Lakefront back near Twinleaf Town, this area actually has grass where you can catch Pokemon. But that's not the only thing here. Verity Lakefront is also connected to the Hotel Grand Lake, an interesting part of the Sinnoh region. This is actually less of a hotel and more a set of bungalows that can be rented while people enjoy the private beach below that is part of Route 213. Visiting these bungalows and talking to the residents can get you some interesting items. The best one is helping a woman find her missing room key. It only gets you a Lava Cookie in D/P, which is the only way to get one in those games, but you get the White Flute in Platinum, which lets you lure in wild Pokemon and make grinding a bit easier.

But there is also the matter of our new catch to get. There's actually not too much of a difference between games this time. You only get Geodude or Graveler in Diamond and Pearl and Houndour is a Platinum only, but all other encounters are found in both games. ...Though most of them are definitely duplicates so I'm likely to get either Girafarig or Houndour if they use the Platinum encounter tables. Thankfully, if I decide to add my newest catch to the team for some reason, there is a great place to grind in the area; the Seven Stars Restaurant.

Oddly enough, this might be one of the few times I prefer the D/P design for an area over the Platinum. The grass everywhere just seems a lot neater than the cobblestone and tiles found in Platinum. But I digress. The picture on the far right is inside of the restaurant, which is the building with the umbrella on top near the top center. As it is considered proper etiquette here to battle, you can have double battles here with the diners. 5 out of 9 couples will show up every day between 9 AM to 11 PM. ...So you should have more than enough time unless you're playing at really late hours. The levels are a bit different between games though. D/P have levels ranging from 20-23, and Platinum gives you levels from 24-31.

I'm a little curious about what kind of place this area should be in-story. I'm not entirely sure if resorts like this were common in ancient China, though the closeness to Veilstone could make it part of the draw for wealthy people. It could also be just a place for wealthy nobles with no real job to socialize and potentially build up alliances and engagements for power. As for why the team would be there...probably to check out the next generation of nobles and see which ones are suitable for their positions and which ones definitely are not. Houzi definitely will dislike this place, and I can't see Tian being fond of it either.

One thing I'll have to keep in mind is that Tian is likely to be approached by nobles looking to make alliances with the Steel Dragon Temple through her. I'm pretty sure that as a priestess, marriage is likely to be out of the question for her, but there still could be political alliances made. Also, managing to get Tian out of the priesthood and into a marriage would be a coup for the family she marries into as she and their children would be expected to have the blessing of the Steel Dragon God. Not to mention the fact she's a Dratini could make people consider her exotic and thus 'easy'. ...People can be scum sometimes.

Now onto Route 213, which consists of the beach, ocean and is home to Dr. Footstep. In-game, he reads your Pokemon's footprints and gives you the Footprint Ribbon if you're at max friendship with them. Which can be...weird for Pokemon who don't really have feet, like Chimecho for example. Or Voltorb/Electrode if you traded them in from another game. I'm probably not going to include him in-story as I have absolutely no idea who he would be. Maybe just a crazed hermit obsessed with feet? I don't know!

But now for the catches for the grass in the area. Lots of water types, which is to be expected so close to Pastoria, but also the presence of Chatot. Obviously, Chatot can only be found in Platinum, but Floatzel is a D/P only Pokemon here. It's a bit weird since the only Floatzel you can catch are at level 22, and Buizel doesn't evolve until level 26. It's also the area you get the East Sea version of Shellos, which is the blue one you see. Now, normally you go into Pastoria City here, but I want to save that for the next update so instead I'll be moving along to the next area, Route 212.

Route 212 is another long area to explore, and also the first place to bring the marshes into account. It's very easy to get stuck there for a time if you wade into the deeper parts and getting out can be a real pain. Another interesting thing about this route is that the portion of it below the stairs is constantly raining while it's dry in the above areas. There are also different encounters at very different levels you can get depending on if you enter the grass above the stairs or below it.

This is because there was a change between D/P and Platinum involving this route. In Diamond and Pearl, a reporter and her cameraman would be blocking the gate at the top of the route until you reached Solaceon Town. So it was easy for players to enter Solaceon and then turn around and head back to Hearthome and go down Route 212. In Platinum, you have to reach Pastoria City for the reporter to leave, meaning that it was a lot easier to just head west from Pastoria and then up Route 212 to reach Hearthome from the other side. It's also important to realize that this route is also home to the first Move Tutor in Platinum, while in D/P, there was a woman who handed out weather TMs who apparently used to work at the Weather Institute in Hoenn.

I personally like to count this as two separate areas due to the different Pokemon you can get here, at least in Platinum. Considering there's a clear dividing line in the staircase, I'm pretty alright with it. So let's take a look at the Pokemon available. Top Pokemon will be from the northern half of the route above the staircase, and below with be from the southern half.

Lots of Pokemon here. The Northern half ends with Budew and the Southern half starts with Wooper, as a reminder. From there, we can split Pokemon off between games. Pokemon found only in Platinum are Marill, Ralts, and Kirlia on the Northern part and Quagsire, Eastern Shellos, Buizel, and Croagunk for the Southern part. Diamond and Pearl only Pokemon are Starly, Kricketune, and Budew in the north, and Wooper, Roselia, Bibarel, and Kricketune for the southern part. That's right, there are no shared Pokemon between games in the southern part of route 212; the closest is Wooper and Quagsire being part of the same evolutionary line. First time we've seen that.

But there is one more area I'd like to discuss before we end this update, and that's the Pokemon Mansion with the Trophy Garden. You could access this area a lot earlier in D/P, but it's home to some rich trainers you can rebattle using the Vs. Seeker for money and the Trophy Garden. While this is just another encounter area, you can find Pokemon here not found in the Sinnoh Pokedex by talking to the owner, Mr. Backlott. Of course, this only starts after you get the National Pokedex, so I'll just cover the Pokemon you can find here normally.

And for the first time in a while, there are no differences between games in terms of catches, only levels! If you're using dupes clause like I will be and haven't lost anyone, you're basically guaranteed a Pichu or Pikachu, which is useful in terms of having another Electric type. In terms of story, I think that Tian will probably be checking out Backlot as he is likely a very wealthy man known for adopting orphans. I think he'll still be a good guy in this case, just a lot of money and not the most sense. Thankfully he has his butler to handle things for him. If the game follows the Diamond and Pearl storyline, then this is also a good place for Joli/Fantina to get attacked by the uprising because the team will be close enough to get to Hearthome to help out.

That should be enough for today. Next time, we go over Pastoria City, the Safari Zone, and the next gym and gym leader, Crasher Wake! See you next time! 👋

RisingMew

Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Ack, sorry to hear about your basement! Glad it's fixed now, though :0

I really like your idea for the Hotel Grand Lake! It's one of my favorite places in Sinnoh when it comes to aesthetic design, and having it be a sort of meeting grounds for noble families makes a lot of sense. Your ideas for how Tian might be approached during her visit are also very good, and they could potentially be a cool in-story parallel for any battles you have at the Restaurant!

Routes like 212 are the main reason I play with Pinwheel Clause in most of my runs! Some routes have such a jarring split between their encounters that two encounters are a must :D I find it really funny that, in addition to being a split route in and of itself, the encounters between versions are also perfectly split with no overlaps. First I've heard of something like that happening!

Can't wait to see what you come up with next update, especially in regard to the Safari Zone! The Safari Zone in Sinnoh is one of my favorites in terms of environment, and I think it could have some very interesting lore implications too 👀

Moon

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
Pokédex Entry
honestly at this point i don't have much to say and i just comment to be replied to so that i'm notified when a new part comes

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
Oddly enough, you had to buy them one at a time in Diamond and Pearl; they didn't add the option to buy in packs of 12 until Platinum.
Me at Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl: "...Please don't send us back to the dark ages."

Me at the Galactic Building in Platinum:

I understand that, with the re-design, the building clearly belongs to Team Galactic, but there's a whole arc that is about "Oh no, we need to find Team Galactic's headquarters and storm it (in secret kinda, although Looker is helping, in Platinum, anyway), but it's very silly when both the exterior and the first NPC you can talk to on the inside is like, "Welcome to the evil base. How can we help you?" I get that the plot of Pokemon games can be silly, but I think that the villain plot should at least have some tension.

On the subject of the Game Corner, I think GameFreak will do what it did in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: Show the building being closed, and have the items that are normally obtainable there just being found in normal gameplay, maybe even just around Veilstone. I never played the mini-games—I just flat-out bought the coins to buy the items—so I'm not bothered by the exclusion of the slots.

Ooh, you rarely see an evil-aligned Lucario. 👀 Those super-cool Aura powers can easily be used for nefarious deeds, though!
I'm...honestly not sure why they took it in-game. I mean, I get that Pokedexes are rare and important, but I'm not sure how it would help with Team Galactic's plans. Unless they wanted to use it to confirm the location of the Lake Trio, but eh.
Three lakes... three Pokemon...

Poor Hippopotas, stuck in Unown limbo! 😭
I love the Seven Stars Restuarant from an "easy to grind money" standpoint, but, when you think about it, it's a pretty weird place to have in Sinnoh. I mean, the big swamp isn't that far away from it! XD And, in your world, it's like the worst kind of mixer.

I'm probably not going to include him in-story as I have absolutely no idea who he would be. Maybe just a crazed hermit obsessed with feet? I don't know!
Ew! No! Write him out!

And Pikachu/Pichu makes a great cute orphan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)