• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke is now live! In this episode we're introducing two new stories, In the Sun's Embrace and Run Away, Survivors, and having a discussion about writing antagonists!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Thread Description
A Blue Nuzlocke- first update live!

diabeticgirl4

Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 16, 2020
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
*whispers* how do I do this omg

Hey, welcome to my Blue Nuzlocke! I used to be on the forum ages ago, if anyone remembers a super brief (and quickly abandoned) written run written from the pokemon's pov? Yeahh nvm that. Well here I am, trying out the comic format! I know I still have a LOT to learn re: drawing, making comics, figuring out the new and improved nuz forums? I'm definitely willing to listen to advice if you have any, but pls be gentle ;v;

Anyways, here I go??

“After having to wait an extra five years, mute Jackie Evans finally gets to start her pokemon journey. Without a voice or any idea of what to expect from the world, she’s off to face whatever Kanto throws at her. Will she be able to achieve her dream of becoming champion, or will the journey prove to be too much for this silent protagonist to handle?“

Rules:
Only catch the first pokemon in every new area
Nickname all pokemon
If they faint, they’re dead (perma-box them!)
No revives or repels

Table of Contents
Cover
Page 1 [intro]

Other Links
Deviantart
Tumblr
Smackjeeves (wip)

Gallery?

Please enjoy, and leave a comment if you'd like! Please and thank you! \o/

diabeticgirl4

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 16, 2020
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wanted to post separately for my first page! I hope I'm doing everything right, please let me know if I need to do anything differently, the new forums are a lot different than how I remember ;u;

PAGE 1 (Intro)
Page 1 is up! This is more of an intro to my comic than anything.

...If the style looks inconsistent at best, that's because it probably is lol. I technically started this comic way back in 2016, went through 2 laptops, fixing my tablet, a whole bunch of mental health fun times, and not to mention 2020 as a whole, before finally gathering the energy to finish this page. I promise any future pages will not take 4 years to finish!! I know I still have a LOT to learn about drawing and comic making, I am definitely open to tips but pls be gentle! I'm trying ;v;

Fun facts~
  • this is based off my Pokemon Blue run I finished about 5 years ago. Gameplay is long done by now, all that's left is making the comic.
  • I was super inspired by Landwalker's Yellow nuzlocke! I've always loved the concept of the "silent protagonist" particularly in pokemon games, and at the time Landwalker's nuz was the first comic I encountered that featured an actual voiceless, silent protagonist. I wanted to do my take on it! So here's my "silent protag", Jackie Evans- she permanently lost her voice due to a childhood illness, and "communicates" with the help of her service pokemon, Amy [and some sign language, although not often]
  • Re: Amy! Amy, as a service pokemon, can essentially "speak" for Jackie with the help of her psychic abilities (ability to read minds).
  • I had initially planned for Jackie to leave Amy at home and only travel with Chell/the rest of her pokemon. About halfway through drawing this I realized "wow that makes zero sense and is super stupid, why would a trainer leave her service pokemon when she would need her most?" so I put her back in the story :'D that's why Amy's presence is... weird at best, I would've liked to restart the page and properly write her in, but that would've taken another 4 years probably...
  • Paget is based on an actual pokemon NPC! In pokemon X/Y there's a Waitress Paget, which I have made into Jackie's mom! So yes, Paget is a Kalosian native, and currently works for Professor Oak by translating official works to/from Kalosian for him. I have a whole backstory for her, but that's for another time.
  • I'm planning on this being a fairly chill comic, "slice-of-life" style. Tbh I'm mainly doing this to help me practice my art/comic skills, but I hope you can enjoy it either way!
Also available on:
Tumblr
Deviantart
Smackjeeves [wip!]

trivialuvs

oblivious
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 4, 2020
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Fighting
I love this concept and storyline. The character is unique, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how Jackie's journey unfolds! In this world, do pokemon talk in general, or is it psychic speaking or something?

ACottontail

Conqueror of the Cianwood Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
Having Amy travel with Jackie was a good call. With Amy being Jackie's service pokemon they have probably known each other for a while, which means they have a history together, something Jackie most likely won't have with most of her pokemon. This has a lot of potential. While having her go with Jackie wasn't originally planned, I think you wrote it in smoothly enough. Also if your looking for tips on making a Nuzlocke comic OddPenguin wrote a bunch of guides which you might find helpful. Still that lol bye sign at the start of route 1 is great.

Velink

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 27, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Said in Da, said here again!
good luck on the run and god speed in the comic!
for some reason I am looking forward to Jackie getting separated with Amy

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Robot lover by day, robot lover by night as well. This Pokemon spits out a comic page about once a month before scuttling back into its room.
Oooooo already I would die for Jackie and Amy and Chell, they're all precious beans. I want nothing but happiness for them on this journey.
This comic has a fascinating premise! I adore the twist you put on the usual "tranier setting out for the first time" set up, with Jackie being mute and having a service mon! I'm a massive sucker for stories that show how Pokemon and humans can benefit and help one another outside of battling, and this premise is ripe for lots of good potential. Amy is adorable and I love how supportive and sweet she is to Jackie outside of just helping her, like cheering for her when she wins the battle.
Chell's also really endearing, I love how headstrong and eager he is to partake on this journey! I also really like this interpretation of Oak being a short old man, I don't think I've seen that before. You captured Gary's jerk nature really well, and I'm excited to see what you do with him. This comic's off to a great start and I'm looking forward to more, good luck!

diabeticgirl4

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 16, 2020
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
aaaaa all these nice comments, I'm dying over here ;;o;; thank you all for your interest and support!!!

I love this concept and storyline. The character is unique, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how Jackie's journey unfolds! In this world, do pokemon talk in general, or is it psychic speaking or something?
Thank you!! :D Pokemon here talk in general, I don't have much worldbuilding other than they just do! and it would probably be a lot harder for Jackie to communicate to her team otherwise lol :'D

Having Amy travel with Jackie was a good call. With Amy being Jackie's service pokemon they have probably known each other for a while, which means they have a history together, something Jackie most likely won't have with most of her pokemon. This has a lot of potential. While having her go with Jackie wasn't originally planned, I think you wrote it in smoothly enough. Also if your looking for tips on making a Nuzlocke comic OddPenguin wrote a bunch of guides which you might find helpful. Still that lol bye sign at the start of route 1 is great.
Thank you! I'm super looking forward to exploring Jackie/Amy's relationship in the comic, and how they interact with each other + the rest of her team as it grows! Amy's been with Jackie for nearly Jackie's whole life, so them navigating things together is basically second nature. Dealing with the ~outside world~ and wild pokemon is new territory for both of them, so it'll be interesting how they work through it! Character development, (platonic) relationships, and interactions are just about my favorite things in any form of media, and I'm super excited to work with it :3

and aaaa thank you for those guides!! I thought I bookmarked them forever ago but lost them, so I super appreciate you linking them!!

Said in Da, said here again!
good luck on the run and god speed in the comic!
for some reason I am looking forward to Jackie getting separated with Amy
ok I completely forgot to check out my DA, so thank you for reminding me lol, but you also comment here?? bless you???
and ohoho I have many adventures planned for these good kids :3c a trainer's journey is never said to be easy!

Thank you~!

Oooooo already I would die for Jackie and Amy and Chell, they're all precious beans. I want nothing but happiness for them on this journey.
This comic has a fascinating premise! I adore the twist you put on the usual "tranier setting out for the first time" set up, with Jackie being mute and having a service mon! I'm a massive sucker for stories that show how Pokemon and humans can benefit and help one another outside of battling, and this premise is ripe for lots of good potential. Amy is adorable and I love how supportive and sweet she is to Jackie outside of just helping her, like cheering for her when she wins the battle.
Chell's also really endearing, I love how headstrong and eager he is to partake on this journey! I also really like this interpretation of Oak being a short old man, I don't think I've seen that before. You captured Gary's jerk nature really well, and I'm excited to see what you do with him. This comic's off to a great start and I'm looking forward to more, good luck!
your whole comment, I'm dyin you're so nice ;o;!!!

Yeah, I def wanted to focus on pokemon and their lives with people outside of "just being used for trainer battles", so there's plenty more where that came from! The whole human-pokemon coexistence thing is such a fascinating concept to me, and if they're living/sentient/talking beings (like in my comic), it should make sense they have some form of rights and respect? not sure how well I can explain it, but I definitely want to show how wild pokemon can choose to be on a team, rather than a trainer just straight up kidnapping them from the wild (like it feels like in the games) lmao. They all have their own reasons! jeez I'm talking a lot about things I plan on showing off in future pages, but I'm super excited about characters and worldbuilding and the like :'D

also I'm glad you like my Short Old Man Oak! :D Gary's like a tol 6' at barely 16 years old, he hit his growth spurt early and is super glad so he can rub it in Jackie's face lmao. Jackie's around 5'3" and does not appreciate Gary constantly bragging about his height lol. oh, young rivalry! :'D

I want nothing but happiness for them on this journey.
>:3cccc

Kadew

sometimes life really is quite lovely
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
If you encounter a wild Kadew, best practice is to gently bully her into remembering that she loves to draw. She forgets, sometimes.
Aw Amy gets her own little service pokemon vest, that's cute.

Lanae

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water
There's just something so pleasant about the characters in this. Jackie and Amy's friendship is cute, Chell seems pretty cool so far, and Gary interacting with his Squirtle is funny. I like it so far!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)