• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Nine of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode contains a discussion segment on gjinka nuzlockes, as well as the continuations of all our fabulous featured stories.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Comic Written Log Sinnoh Mixed Media General Mon Benji's Lucky Platinum

Thread Description
A child romping through Sinnoh. Nothing strange is going on.

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gosh, I know it’s only been a month but it still feels like it’s been ages since I last updated! First of all... thank you so much to everyone who voted for Lucky Platinum in the extravaganza! I am blown away by the reception it got, and I’m really happy that so many people are just as invested in Benji’s journey as I am.

Due to Buffer Shenanigans happening in my comic, Sunlocke, I haven’t had much time to work on this run recently, so this update took a lot longer than it should have. Luckily, though, Sunlocke now has an Actual Buffer and I’ve got nothing but time, so... maybe the next update will happen faster! Maybe.

@PurpleEyedGuma : Yep! Zircon is the coolest. Mr. Mime is the least cool. These are fundamental truths.

@violentlydefending : I mean, how else do you even emote.

Flapper thought it would be a good idea to go through a mountain to find the next lake. After we came out, everything was covered in snow. While we were walking, I found some friends who wanted to help.

David is sneaky, but he still wants to help us. He likes to hide in the snow and play with his other friends.

Glacier is shy, but she’s very smart. She knows how to get around all of the snow. Snow is fun, but there is too much here.

I think I’ve met Mr. Snuffles before, but I don’t know where. He is silly! He is also good at finding things buried under the snow. He helped us find an HM that I taught to Ralph later.

We found the lake, but I cannot climb the rocks. Ralph can, but he needs a gym badge before we can do it. I guess we have to find a town in the snow now. Hoshi decided to fly above the trees and find it.

We made it to the new town, and Tabitha was very excited because everybody only uses Ice Types. She beat the gym leader’s whole team in no time at all, so now we’re able to hurry to the lake. Hopefully we make it in time.

We didn’t make it in time.

Where did the mean people go? I cannot find any of them. Neither can Flapper or Zircon or Hoshi or Tabitha or Ralph or Taylor. We went all over the region today, but I do not know where to begin.

I found a big building where all the mean people are living.

The lakes are safe now, but I am worried about the big mountain. Something is swirling above it, and I don’t know what. Ralph is going to scale the mountain so that we can investigate.

Did this take too long because I overthought blocking? Yes. Will that also be the reason the next part is delayed? Yes.
This is a shortie, and so is the next part (well... kinda), but if I combined the two I would probably never get the update out because aaaaaart. In related news, I cannot draw fists and I’ve decided to stop trying. Apologies in advance.

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Hi guys! Unfortunately, the next Lucky Platinum part is going to take a while to finish. HOWEVER, I’ve decided to share some concept art to tide everyone over! I hope you enjoy my unique take on Giratina.

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This is the one where things get... strange. It’s a culmination of everything that’s happened before it, but it may raise more questions than it answers. It’s also a bit shorter than usual, but... you’ll see why.

This mountain is difficult to climb, and there are bad people everywhere. At least it isn’t very cold. Flapper is good at beating up the mean people, and they always run away from her.

I think that we are getting closer to the top. It is getting more and more difficult to see the path, even for Hoshi.

The peak is just over the hill. We’ve finally made it. I just hope we can stop the bad guy plan this time...

A big scary dragon beat the bad guy, so he is gone now. Everything is peaceful and nice. I am going to play with my friends now. Maybe we will even find another gym.

oh my goodness this took AGES. I struggled over Giratina’s design, page layout, and general dialogue things for a while before even beginning to sketch out this chapter. Finishing the seven pages here took all month, and uh the shading was a mistake. I hate shading. Why did I do it (because it looks cool).
I have no regrets about how Giratina’s speech is rendered here; I’d like to thank some irl friends for encouraging me to go this route. Speaking of Giratina: I hand-inked all of those tendrils. I have regrets.
There’s a whole lot going on in this chapter, so of course I’m going to focus on Taylor. Taylor is tricky to draw, and it wasn’t until I started writing Lucky Platinum that I came to appreciate just how much stuff he did in gameplay. Luxray is a cool Pokémon, but it needs better level up moves, sheesh. I say that he’s hard to draw because I think I just keep making him fluffier. Oops.
Consider this chapter my extremely belated “Thanks for the support at the Extravaganza!!” I went for it, and I’m super pleased with the results!
Next time: might be more chill. Maybe.

Alba Corbina

Kanto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
I'm certainly not going to complain about Taylor getting more and more floofy. Also, Giratina looks awesome!

Last edited:

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Instead of studying for my last AP exam, I finished putting this part together! Don’t worry, it’s probably fine. Anyways.

@Alba Corbina : Taylor’s fluff propelled me through those pages, honestly. And thank you! I’m really glad with how Giratina turned out.

Now that the weird blue man is gone, we can go to a new city. On the way, I met a new friend.

Tigger is energetic and loud. I think he will make lots of friends in the box.

The new city is a lot like the other cities, but it has more bridges. Zircon and I were walking around and then he evolved!

Zircon’s really big now! He’s also even friendlier than before. He’s so friendly that he doesn’t really want to battle any more. That’s okay, he already has a lot of friends in the box.

Callum decided to come with us, because he has been spending a lot of time battling wild Machop and says that he’s “EV trained” now. I still don’t know what that means. Ralph trained with him some more and he evolved!

Callum is very strong, but he says a lot of things that don’t make any sense. That’s okay, though! I think he will be a good team member.

A nice lady taught Flapper how to climb waterfalls, but we have to get a gym badge to do it. We’re going to go and do that after Ralph learns how to make Earthquakes. I hope it goes well.

Ralph beat the gym leader by a lot! It turns out the gym leader’s Pokemon are allergic to shaky ground. Taylor also helped a little; they make a good team. Now we are going to the cave above the waterfall.

We made a new friend in the cave!

Drill doesn’t really like battling, but he is already having fun in the box and getting along with Zircon.

This cave is very big. I’m not sure how to get out.

We’re still in the cave.

Taylor found the exit! But he also decided to leave. I’m not worried about him; he promised to visit. Maybe he’ll find Bud in his travels…

My friend Margaret decided to come with us, so Hoshi and Tabitha helped her grow up! It didn’t take very long.

She learned how to annoy her opponents with fire and also how to punch things real good.

I couldn’t find Margaret but it turns out she was hiding under a blanket! Also she’s even bigger now.

I think that we will explore for a little while longer and then investigate the big building that Taylor found outside of the cave.

I found another friend!

Nora sparkles just like Zircon does! They get along very well. Nora doesn’t want to battle right now, but that’s okay since everyone else is very strong and Nora is not.

There are people to battle in the big building, so we are going to battle them now.

Taylor did not die, I just decided to box him. Electric isn’t very useful against Plat’s E4, and I’ve been itching to use Callum ever since I got Pokerus a while back (wait did… did I never mention that until now?? Oh man and I forgot to mention the Lucky Egg also UM).
Some quick background that I should mention- I started the gameplay for Lucky Platinum about two years ago on a used cartridge that had some… issues. It would crash occasionally, and shortly after I made it to Veilstone in-game, it got really crash-happy for reasons I’m still unclear on, so I put the game down and didn’t come back to it for nearly a year. The first thing that I did when I picked it back up was fight Volkner, and the second thing I did was start hunting for Munchlax. I wanted the Leftovers for Margaret, see.
I didn’t find Leftovers. I found Nora.
There’s a reason I named this run Lucky Platinum.

Izuna's Spider

Here for the fun
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 21, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Poison
Woah, that's luck for sure.

I rella like the ways this run is made, it's really sweet ^^

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
Omg I knew the explanation for the title would be good, but this is far beyond any expectations. :'D She has three little hats.......
Benji's art skills get better and better so quickly! The new drawings are all so expressive! ;v;

Electro

Dr. Ultimate Procrastinator Extreme
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fighting
Oh also Benji says trans rights! I realized that Hoshi felt like a boy, and, well, now he’s out! I’m proud of him.
Okay, but sometimes the personality that I made up in my head just does not fit the gender assigned at capture! Sometimes, they just feel different!

Also, Cyrus calling Benji Arceus-forsaken and then getting dragged into the Distorted Realm is ... interesting.

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Early update this month! That’s because there are going to be 2- they’re both a bit short but don’t really fit well together, and the part after that is going to be… something else, so this will work.
Before getting to the part proper…
@Izuna's Spider : Way luckier than I’ve ever gotten before, that’s for sure. Thank you! It’s been fun to write a lighter take on a Nuzlocke. Mostly.

@Krisantyne : Nora’s hats are lovely, it’s true. Benji is excellent at improving! And anyways, it’s not a Benji art piece if it doesn’t feature a giant smile.

@Electro : Yes! Exactly! I just didn’t realize with Hoshi for a bit.

Yes, it’s definitely… something. That might make sense someday.

My friends and I are going to take on the people in the big building soon. I can only bring six of them, though, so I chose these ones.

Flapper can beat any Pokemon! She has a bunch of strong moves, and she’s my best friend!

Hoshi does not think he is very strong, but that is not true. He glares at his opponents and scares them so that they are easy to beat. He’s also my best friend!

Tabitha is very friendly and helpful! She found us a fancy egg that helps everyone get stronger, including her. She heard that one of the building people has a lot of bugs, and she is excited to beat them all.

Ralph is strong and fast and my friend, so he is here! I think one of the building people has a Pokemon like Ralph, but I do not think Ralph will fight that one.

Callum hits very hard, and claims it is because of his “EV Training”. He wanted to punch with ice but I forgot to teach him how. Instead he ate all my candy.

Margaret is not very strong, but she is very tricky. She can make it so that her opponents can barely scratch her! It’ll be very helpful.

We are going to fight the building people next, I think.

Tabitha just fought the first person! He had a lot of bugs and she had a very good time, which she deserved, because she is a good girl. Hoshi also did some of the fighting, and then Ralph beat one of the Pokemon. It was very easy. I think I trained too much.

Now that Flapper knows how to make grass knots, we fought the second building person! Flapper did not even have to try, because she is so strong. The lady we fought had a water type, too, but it was no match for Flapper. There was only one Pokemon that Flapper was scared of, but it’s okay because Margaret handled it.

I was on my way to go fight the fire person when I realized that I could not find Ralph. I got worried but it turns out that he just got excited and demolished the third guy’s team. I am not surprised, because Ralph is just that good.

The fourth guy was a little bit trickier than all the rest. Tabitha is really strong against his Pokemon, but they also know how to be strong against her, and that’s scary. Tabitha handled a lot of his Pokemon, but Hoshi and Ralph helped with some of the scariest ones. We were able to win in the end, though.

I thought that we beat all of the building people, but it turns out that there is one more we still have to fight. I think she has the other Pokemon that’s like Ralph, because I have not seen it yet. We are going to go and do that now.

Some of Benji’s writing is influenced by my own memories of playing Pokemon for the first time- my first game was Pearl, and I was a small child when I played it. I also distinctly remember several aspects of the game, like how I thought Psyduck had ears instead of arms and how that there were only four people in the E4, and once you beat them you were finished. I had spent the game sweeping with my starter Infernape, and really thought I was finished when I finally managed to take down Lucian. You can imagine my dismay when I learned there was another person.
Um anyways as far as this update goes, yeah it’s short but the next one will make up for it! You know, maybe. Hopefully. Incidentally, I had a pretty good time going back and redrawing Benji’s main squad, especially the ones that evolved a while ago. It’s neat to see his improvement! It’s also neat to realize that, oops, I actually almost like the inking style Benji uses here better than my current inking style.

Waweezer

Kanto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 22, 2020
Pokémon Type
Ground, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon is known to make weird comics at random, no one really knows why.
oh crap, cynthia's gonna get defeated by a toddler!

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Second update this month! The next update will be on July 29th, which happens to be the one year anniversary of this run! Thanks to everyone who’s been reading along, the support has been wonderful!

@Waweezer : nah he’s at LEAST 6. Still bad tho

We fought the strongest trainer, and it all passed in a blur. She was a tall lady and her first Pokemon was a circle ghost. I want a circle ghost. Ralph was able to beat it very easily, but then she sent out her Ralph, which is also a Garchomp.
Callum tried to fight it but he was not very good at it, so Hoshi came in and avoided a bunch of its attacks. Eventually, Hoshi was able to take it down.
Then Margaret came in and set the lady’s weird bird on fire. After that, she cooled it down with a bunch of ice. It went well, even though it was slow.
Margaret also set a weird dog on fire, but she wasn’t able to defeat it, so Tabitha came in and helped by setting it on fire, but more aggressively.
After that, her weird plant got beaten by Hoshi.
Then she sent out a water snake, and Flapper promised to handle it. She went up to it and made a knot out of grass. The snake didn’t fall over, so I told Flapper to do the same thing again. But… before she could, the snake flashed.
I couldn’t see for a little while, and when I finally could again… Flapper was on the floor. I tried to talk to her, but then she faded away. I looked everywhere, but I can’t find her anymore.
Flapper is gone. I’ll never be able to see her again.
… I miss her…

We’re gonna be… big stars…

Everything was going so well, until it wasn’t. It’s been a long time since I last battled Cynthia, and I didn’t have a clear counter to her Milotic (My plan had been Callum, but the Togekiss fight was a lot more drawn out than I implied it was here, so he was already injured, and I didn’t want to risk the heal), but then I remembered that Flapper knew Grass Knot.
I never saw Mirror Coat coming. Sorry, Flapper.
This is not the last Lucky Platinum update! I had additional plans with the game- at this point, I had actually started writing this run- so I decided to do postgame things. You’ll see how it goes soon.

Garnet

Officially ADHD
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
I just realized that even though I checked out this run during the incident where the banners got messed up, I never actually commented on it? So here's me doing that now! :0 I really like the way you've set this run up, being told and drawn from the perspective of a child - The idea of the art style changing being explained in-universe as Benji himself growing and changing as an artist is a touch I particularly like!

And with regards to the most recent update... "Flapper is gone. I’ll never be able to see her again. … I miss her…" Man, my heart. Rip to Flapper :') Cynthia's a ruthless one, and that Milotic can wreck you if you don't have a good physical counter or special tank for it. One of those 'mons that makes me understand why Toxic stalling is such a common strat, hah. Looking forward to the anniversary update and seeing where Benji and the team go from here!

sociopathicotter

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
enjoys unnecessary anime references and stupid meta humor in webcomics
RIP Flapper, I was going to say that her design looks super cute and I love it, and then she just died :( But on a more general note I love the fact that your pictures and descriptions all have this "Calvin and Hobbes" feel to them, they're super vibrant and innocent which I really like to see!

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
I started Lucky Platinum one year ago today. I’m both surprised that it’s taken this long and glad that so many folks have shown their support for it. Thank you to everyone who reads it!

@Garnet : Thank you so much! Benji’s evolving art style has been a tricky thing to get right, and I’m glad it’s been coming across well. That Milotic is just the worst; Flapper deserved better.

@sociopathicotter : Flapper’s design is pretty fun, and I’m sad to see her go as well.. the earnestness or Lucky Platinum is one of my favorite parts of writing it, it’s a blast.

It is hard to make new friends now… Flapper is not around to carry me on her back any more. I met a Pokémon who might be able to help with that, though.

I do not like Steve, but he can swim. I will train him on the new island Hoshi found.

My dupes clause was pretty generous in Lucky Platinum; I gave myself an encounter per floor in caves, which allowed me to abuse it pretty heavily for my Feebas encounter. Steve’s name comes from the same place as Ralph’s- I just think it’s very fun when incredibly powerful Pokémon have relatively mundane names.

This was more of a transitional part, but it took forever. I do all of my inking traditionally, and I have… regrets. But it looks awesome so how can I complain?? Enjoy speculating about what’s going on; there are hints here and there, though most of them will make more sense when everything is revealed…

also: I had a more descriptive title for this part, but I thought “The Egg” was way funnier, and it’s weirdly topical since I accidentally started an Egg Cult yesterday (long story).

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
I’m only a day late, it’s fine. Anyways enjoy the penultimate part!

Steve cannot swim to the big island, so I trained him in the grass instead. We met a lot of Pokemon that looked like Bud, but none of them were him… I wonder if he is okay.

I wanted to train Steve today, but we went to a spooky mansion instead. There were a lot of ghosts and I also made a new friend!

It is nice to make new friends after so long. Phil does not really want to battle, but he does want to have fun socializing in the box, so I will let him.

Apparently we have to go back to the lakes so that we can swim to the big island. I do not know why, but we are doing that now. Sarah even came out of the box to help us!

She is a lot bigger now, and can climb up lots of rocks like Ralph can. And she can swim across the lakes! Sarah helped us meet the lake Pokemon we needed to see. Now we can go to the new island!

I went to the new island. Apparently I also have a house there! It’s pretty empty, but two nice people gave me lots of money after fighting them, so I can start filling it with things now. Steve also trained more today. He is actually kind of nice.

Ralph wanted to go exploring underground on the new island, because he thought there might be treasure. I went with him, but there wasn’t very much. I did find a weird rock, though.

The weird rock fit into a weird tower, and a new friend popped out!

Ramses is very confusing, and I am not sure what they are talking about most of the time. They have a lot of different voices, and it’s very funny until it isn’t. I think they are okay with being my friend, though. They want to get stronger, so I am going to help them. Margaret is, too!

While I was exploring the new island with Hoshi and Tabitha, I brought the two eggs from the box along! I hoped that they would hatch while I was exploring, and I was right!

Sir Egg only came halfway out of his egg! I think he is just shy, but he is still very sweet. I wonder if he’ll want to get stronger someday… his name sounds familiar, too, but I can’t place it.

The other egg also hatched!

Anubis has a spooky sounding name, but he is actually very cute. He does not like to listen to me, though. I’m sure he’ll get better about it when he trains with my friends.

Hoshi said he had a surprise for me, and he brought me to a weird foggy cave. It was hard to get through, and there were lots of people who wanted to battle us. When we made it to the other side, though, I saw my surprise!

It’s a new friend who looks like Bud! Calvin says that he is Bud’s brother, and that he wants to get strong. He is training with Tabitha now.

I have a lot of friends who want to get stronger now! Training them all is difficult, but it is going well. Today, Sir Egg and Anubis were so happy with the training, they evolved!

They are both very strong now, but Sir Egg says he needs a shiny rock to get even stronger. I wonder where I can find one of those…

It’s been a while.

I found some shiny rocks. I don’t remember where. It turns out that Sir Egg and Calvin both needed them. They’re a lot bigger now!

I am happy for them both, especially because their training has made them really strong! I let Tabitha teach Sir Egg how to belch fire, and then she taught Calvin how to use poison really, really well. The purple goo looks funny.

I feel like there’s something I need to do, but I can’t remember what.

My friends are getting stronger. They’re happy. I am, too.

I saw my friends again. Our meetings have been growing farther and farther apart. I wonder why.

We trained more. I think that was all the training we needed. And I think I remember what we need to do.

Today I brought Ralph, Calvin, Ramses, Anubis, Sir Egg, and Steve to fight the blonde lady again. She was strong, but they were stronger, and we were able to win! Nobody left. I think that’s what I needed to do.

It wasn’t. But now I don’t know where to go…

Lucky Platinum should have concluded after the Champion battle, but, unlike any Nuzlocke I’d done before or since, I actually decided to play the post game as a proper Nuzlocke. This opened the door to several opportunities, one of which I went through with in this part, and the other of which I will go through with in the next (and final) part of Lucky Platinum. If you didn’t catch it, I mirror matched Cynthia. And I have the images to prove it. TLDR giving Sir Egg Flamethrower was the best idea I’ve ever had. Also did you notice that I really like Togekiss?? Anyways here’s the link to that: Anyways, join me next time when I finally end Lucky Platinum. My hope is that the story’s going to make a lot more sense with the final part capping it off. Of course, it could just end up even more confusing. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)