• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Written Story Johto Mature An Arduous, Atoning, and Amazing Adventure

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
The thoughts of a teenager in his alphabet-themed journey. Last updated July 25.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
aaaaaaaaa

YEAH ANNE MARIE OH MY GOD YESSSSS GIRL

ohhhhhh doubts. oh i love doubts. juicy

squints

i sure hope nobody died.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Teleportation services had been organized for those who wanted to make the journey but were too far to use conventional transportation, which was most of the population of Johto and Kanto.
I like this little tidbit!
It had come from one of the monks in Ecruteak, with the idea that keeping Suicune as hidden as possible would give him an advantage.
Also a very good idea, and the fact that Adam is actually going out of the way to keep Suicune a secret makes it all the more exciting to have a legendary on the team rather than casually being like "btw I have Suicine nbd".
Great work, entrance of the year, he thought sarcastically.
Aw poor Adam. You have a lot more going on than just a normal champion battle, don't worry about appearances!
Next moment, with what was obviously a massive effort, she had hauled herself up again.
WOO!
Was it in any way possible…that he had been wrong?
Oh shit I never even thought this would come up! That has got to be stressful for Adam.
She hadn’t been declared defeated, but it was clear she was out of the fight.
Kudos to Deborah anyway, it's not every day a Raticate gets to go head to head with Lance's ace Dragonite!

OP
QuietGuardian

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
@bhelryss Anne Marie deserved a badass showing thanks to all the work she put in in the League!
You'll find out the fate of the team soon.

@Spectacles Having a Legendary on your team is a big deal! Especially with their supposed connection to the gods in this universe.
Adam does have a lot to worry about, indeed. I'm not going very easy on my poor protagonist…but things are about to come to a head!

In a burst of light, the sleek blue Legendary Pokémon emerged onto the field. As it did, it raised its head and let out a cry. “Kuuuaahhhhoooo!” The sound was packed with energy, and Adam felt his hopes rise again at the sound of it.

The crowd, meanwhile, was astonished to see this latest development. After a second of silence, amazed yells rang out. “Um…folks, if you’re having a hard time believing what you’re seeing, you’re not alone,” said José. “But that does appear to be the Legendary Pokémon Suicune that Adam has just sent out! We were wondering if he had a secret weapon as his sixth Pokémon, and it seems we were very right!”

Adam stared confidently at his opponent, the man he did not think was Lance, and was satisfied to see an astonished expression on his face. However, it quickly vanished in favor of a more neutral one. “A Legendary Pokémon…in a Master Ball?” His eyes narrowed. “How do I know you caught it legitimately?”

“A Master Ball isn’t enough to catch a Legendary Pokémon on its own,” Adam firmly retorted. “Suicune made the choice to join my team!”

His opponent’s mouth twitched. “Perhaps. But even so…” He adopted the easygoing confidence Lance often displayed. “A Legendary Pokémon is not enough to beat Scorpius! And we will prove it to you!”

Cheers greeted that statement. Did I really just become the fucking underdog? Adam couldn’t help but wonder. “We’ll see about that! Suicune, Aurora Beam!”

“Smash!” called his opponent, using Scorpius’s command for Brick Break.

The crest on Suicune’s head glowed as Scorpius launched himself into the sky. A brightly-colored beam shot at him, but he twisted his body to avoid it at the last second, then hurled himself at Suicune, bringing back a claw. Suicune leapt out of the way of the attack, and from there, their battle became a sight to see. Both opponents danced around each other, continuing their attacks and dodges, keeping up with each other in a display of skill only possible from a Legendary Pokémon and a Champion’s ace. Suicune’s Aurora Beam did manage a couple of glancing blows, but Scorpius barely reacted.

For a few moments, Adam couldn’t help but stare in awe. This was unquestionably a skill level beyond anything he’d seen on his journey. Then, he snapped back to attention and focused on trying to win. If they kept going like this, it could result in Suicune getting the upper hand, but if Scorpius scored a hit, that could turn the tides. Was there a way to shift things in his favor?

He considered the issue. Brick Break wasn’t the strongest move Scorpius could hit with, but it would still hurt. Then again…he’d seen Suicune’s ability to take strong blows during their training. And Scorpius had taken some damage from Deborah’s attacks already, meaning he already wasn’t fighting at a hundred percent. So maybe… “Suicune, don’t dodge the next hit!”

At first, it seemed as though Suicune wasn’t listening, as it made another couple of jumps to avoid Scorpius’s attacks. But then, Adam saw it plant its feet, and as Scorpius turned his attention in its direction, it showed no signs of taking evasive action. Instead, as Scorpius prepared another attack, Suicune’s only focus seemed to be on firing a rainbow beam of energy directly at his chest. The blast made contact just as Scorpius brought a large arm down on Suicune’s body. Suicune flinched at the hit, but Scorpius was blasted backwards, the powerful Ice attack causing significant damage even to a fighter of his caliber. “And both fighters take a hit!” said José. “Is this where Adam turns things around? Or was Scorpius’s attack enough to sufficiently slow down Suicune?”

But as Scorpius struggled to his feet, Suicune diverted its focus from him and looked at Adam with an intense, piercing stare. As had happened before, Adam could sense the meaning in its eyes. And this time…

He swallowed. Well, fuck, here we go, I guess! “Hey! You want to know why I’m really here?” he yelled across the battlefield.

Presumably-not-Lance brushed him off. “I’m not taking my focus off the battle! Scorpius, you can make it!”

Scorpius got to his feet, but Suicune sent another Aurora Beam at him—this one was clearly less powerful, but it still set him back. After an encouraging nod from Suicune, Adam continued. “I’m here to tell everyone the truth!”

The man on the other side of the battlefield shot Adam a look, one that he would describe as a stop-doing-that look. It could easily be interpreted as the Champion reprimanding a challenger for trying to divert attention from their battle, but that wasn’t what Adam saw. He saw a dark warning, a threat. But he had to keep going. Doing his best to keep his arm and voice from shaking, he pointed a finger and said in a loud voice, “You’re an imposter! The real Lance was murdered by Team Rocket in Mahogany Town, and you’ve taken his place!”

A few shouts from the crowd followed his declaration, but overall, the mood was more subdued than what he’d expected. The supposed imposter’s frown deepened. “That’s a ridiculous accusation and a poor attempt to distract me from this battle. Are you really so desperate and unsporting that you’d resort to a cheap trick like this in an attempt to win?”

Adam clenched a fist. Unfortunately, his opponent had a point; he had nothing to back up his statement with. But then why had Suicune told him to reveal it? Or had he misread the Legendary Pokémon’s gaze?

Just as he was wondering that, however, Suicune moved, bounding over not to Scorpius, but to the man commanding him. And before the latter could register what was happening, a jet of water hit him in the face, sending him stumbling backward as he yelled in surprise and brought up his hands to the point of impact.

Adam’s jaw dropped. “Suicune, what…” He recognized it as the small jet of water that Suicune had been practicing; had its purpose been to use on a human all along? But what good would that do? Attacking a Pokémon trainer in an official match meant an automatic disqualification. Any chance that Adam had of taking the Championship had just gone down the drain.

There were more shouts from the audience, and they sounded angrier than the ones from after he had accused his opponent of being an imposter. The voices of the commentators rang out, as well, and they clearly weren’t impressed, either. “Oh, what was that?” said José. “That didn’t need to happen!”

“That’s a real shame,” said Chet. “Adam might’ve been struggling, but he was still putting up a good fight. But that’s going to end things on a sour note.”

The accused imposter straightened up, one hand over his right eye, his left eye glaring daggers at Adam. “So this was your plan? Was this all some sick plot to humiliate me? I don’t know what I’ve done to make you think I deserve this, but it’s over for you! Call back your Pokémon and get out of this—”

Suicune moved again, nudging the man’s right arm so that it fell from his face. He shot a glare at the Legendary Pokémon, then returned his angry look to Adam. “Recall your Pokémon now or you will face criminal charges!”

But Adam wasn’t paying attention. A spark of hope had flared up as he looked across to his opponent. Now he knew why Suicune had shot that jet of water. Overall, Team Rocket had done a fantastic job of disguising their agent to look like Lance. Plastic surgery could reconfigure his facial features, his hair could be dyed and styled appropriately, and as for behavior, someone with plenty of talent could watch videos of him and learn to replicate his mannerisms. But one thing they couldn’t perfectly replicate were Lance’s striking blue eyes. The best they could do were contact lenses—one of which had been dislodged. Now, not-Lance’s glare, though his face was red from the water, was clearly with two different eye colors.

“Hey, Adam, what are you waiting for?” said José. “I know it’s not what you want, but if you—”

“Hang on a sec, José,” interjected Chet. “Look at Lance.”

“Look at him?”

“Look at his eyes.”

“What about th…uh, wait. Yeah, I see it…”

Murmurs from the crowd began to rise, and even though Adam couldn’t make out what they were saying, they sounded confused and concerned. And since people were looking and pointing at Lance and not him, it had to be because of the different eye color.

Not-Lance looked around worriedly for a second, but then he seemed to regain his composure. He waved a hand dismissively. “There’s no need to be concerned,” he said in a loud voice. “Legendary Pokémon work in mysterious ways, and we don’t fully understand them. Changing someone’s eye color isn’t out of the question, is it?”

Adam found himself saying his next words almost without his control. “How did you know that your eye color was different?” he called.

“What?” Not-Lance looked over at him. “I heard the commentators, how else?”

“They didn’t say anything about your eye color. Just your eyes.”

A flash of panic crossed the imposter’s face, but he quickly tried to cover it up. “Then…I must have overheard it from an audience member and mixed things up. After all, my mind isn’t in its usual place after I was just attacked by a challenger.”

He was trying to change the subject, but Adam wouldn’t let him. “You heard them talking at normal volume through that thick glass?” he said.

“It doesn’t matter!” said not-Lance angrily. “You have violated the—”

But a loud noise cut him off. He directed his gaze to Scorpius, who had voiced it and was looking at him with a curious expression: inquisitive, but on edge. And as not-Lance looked back, he was unable to keep the fear he was now feeling from his face. Scorpius noticed. It was not the expression that Lance would give him. It was not the expression of the man who had raised him and with whom he had built an unbreakable bond of trust. It was the expression of someone else—someone else who had taken Lance’s place and lied about being him.

With a furious snarl, he headed for the imposter, moving quickly enough to close the distance before the latter’s shock could wear off enough to recall him. But before the hulking Pokémon could do anything else, Suicune made another move, darting behind Scorpius and firing another Aurora Beam at his back. The already-weakened Dragonite tottered, then fell forward, his upper body pinning not-Lance to the ground.

Several shouts went up from the crowd, but a flash of light drew attention, and one voice rose above the rest. “Nobody fucking move or we destroy the place!”

Adam looked, his eyes widening. A man had released a Weezing into the crowd and was glaring at everyone around him. As he watched, more people rose in their seats and released Pokémon—Graveler, Electrode, Donphan, Gyarados. Team Rocket had agents in the audience? he thought, horrified.

People started screaming. Some tried to flee, but the Rockets sent attacks in their direction, forcing them down. “The stadium is being held hostage!” yelled José. “We need help!”

“Anybody tries anything, we unleash destruction!” yelled one of the men.

Adam looked around in a panic. The glass wall meant that he couldn’t send his Pokémon to do anything about the situation, and even if he could, it would risk the Rockets making good on their threat. How could they get out of this?

As he thought this, he saw another movement out of the corner of his eye. He turned to see Suicune calmly walking towards the center of the battlefield. “Suicune, if you’ve got something in mind, now would be a great time!” he said in a low voice.

Suicune stopped after several steps. Then, it threw back its head and cried out. “Kuuuuueeeehhhhhh!”

Almost immediately, two answering cries came from outside the stadium…and before Adam’s eyes, the Legendary Pokémon Raikou and Entei jumped in. They landed on the other side of the glass, exuding power that Adam could feel even from his position. As other heads turned to them and mouths dropped, they moved. Darting with almost unbelievable speed, they made for the Pokémon that Team Rocket had released and shot bursts of fire or bolts of lightning to take them down as quickly as possible. And after knocking out the Pokémon, they would pick up the members of Team Rocket in their mouths and hurl them against the glass, dazing them so they couldn’t do anything for the next few minutes.

For their part, Team Rocket was caught completely off guard. By the time any of them had recovered from the surprise enough to take action, it was almost over, and while they were scrambling to do something, Raikou and Entei finished their job, taking the last of them out of commission.

As Adam watched in amazement, he heard a noise from closer nearby. He turned to see Scorpius’s unconscious body disappear in a flash of light, as not-Lance got up and ran as hard as he could for the exit. Adam made a movement in his direction, hoping to stop him, but both he and the imposter had forgotten that Suicune was still with them. The Legendary Beast ran faster than either of them could ever hope to and had blocked not-Lance’s path within a second. As his eyes widened in horror, Suicune’s mane and ribbon-like tails lifted up, and a gust of wind slammed into the imposter. He flew several feet before crashing to the ground, where he lay still, groaning faintly.

The stadium went quiet. Nobody seemed to know what to do. Finally, José’s voice came over the speaker. “Um…security, please round up everyone in the crowd that just threatened us…maybe those of you with Pokémon can help make sure they don’t escape or try anything else? Everyone else, please just remain calm while the authorities get things sorted out. As for those of you at home…um…we’ll be right back after these messages.”
I think I made it. I think we actually fucking did it.

The authorities are still working on validating everything, but the imposter is in custody, as are the Rockets that tried to attack the stadium during the match. I still almost can’t believe everything that happened…that was all three of the Legendary Beasts, essentially fighting on my side! Even if it was more “against Team Rocket” than “with me.” Still! That was amazing!

I’m staying here for a little while while things get sorted out. The imposter was confirmed to not be Lance, since the League has fingerprints of all its top members on file and his didn’t match to Lance’s. They do still need to find the real Lance’s body; I told them that he was buried under the explosion in Mahogany Town, so they’re going through the process of digging that up, which could take some time. I know they’re working on interrogating the Rockets, but I don’t know how much success they’ve had.

At least the League PR team hasn’t been hounding me. There was something released about the matter earlier today, but it was short and didn’t have many details, since they’re still in the process of gathering those. I’ve mostly been kept in one of the nearby hotel rooms, and people have come to see me when they need to. I’ve been advised not to leave, which I honestly have no problem with. At least I’ve been able to call Mom and Zane. They’re of course relieved, and, at least in Mom’s case, very proud.

…I’m exhausted. I’ve come to the end of this huge and stressful undertaking. Sure, my Pokémon did a lot of the work, especially Suicune—and boy am I proud of them for standing up to a Champion’s Pokémon as well as they did—but I still felt like I’ve had this weight on me for the past several days. Now, it’s so much lighter. Nothing has to be secret anymore from anyone, and whole teams of people are working to take on the duties that I effectively put on myself, of exposing the truth. I’ve done my job. Mostly. I think I can really rest now.

Cycle: Nickname
Pokémon nameCategoryNickname
SuicuneAuroraAce*
TentacruelJellyfishAnne Marie
RaticateMouseDeborah
YanmaClear WingFaith
RhydonDrillFelix
KinglerPincerGavin
*gameplay only

I based the sound of Suicune's cry off its in-game cry, which is probably my second-favorite Legendary cry in the games (behind Giratina).

Here's the gameplay notes for the battle with Lance!
  • Anne Marie led against Gyarados, starting with a Barrier and using Sludge Bomb, which did a little under half its HP but poisoned. Gyarados started out with Surf for some reason and did hit her with a Hyper Beam at one point, but it didn't crit, so thanks to Barrier, it didn't do too much. The poison damage ultimately won the match for us.
  • Felix came in for the Dragonite with Thunder, and even though its strongest attacks would affect him not much or not at all, it put up a fight with continued uses of Twister, even prompting me to heal at one point. Felix won with three Strengths (the last one helped by Tail Whip) but ended the fight well into orange HP.
  • Ace came in for Lance's ace, the Level 50 Dragonite, and won with two Aurora Beams while it just set up Safeguard.
  • Gavin came in for Charizard, but he was outsped and both Flamethrower and Surf were 2HKOs, so I couldn't leave him in. I switched to Ace, who took a Flamethrower and dodged a Hyper Beam before finishing it off with Waterfall.
  • Felix came back for Aerodactyl, and since it had no attacks that could do much damage to him, it was pretty much just a matter of hitting it with Iron Tail, which I admittedly only did after using an X Accuracy, but it was a OHKO.
I'm not sure what happened to the third Dragonite, the one with Blizzard. I assume either Ace or Anne Marie took it out with their Ice attacks. Obviously, this is a lot more triumphant for Adam than what happened in the story, but I figured that training for just over a month wouldn't be sufficient in the story to win the championship, even if he'd been dedicated to it. Hence the unfinished battle.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
congrats on the deathless e4/champ!!! proud of annemarie ;o;

im glad things went so well in gameplay, and i love how the champ battle resolved!! legendary pokemon out here to right wrongs and shit, love that for us

Leon Yorunaki

I'll Spirit Shackle you!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
What a battle, and what a pleasure to read everything in a single blow. Really good to see all that effort has paid off, and how the subtle pieces you dropped before all fell into place at the end, so kudos to you!

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
They didn’t say anything about your eye color. Just your eyes.”
Ooooh good catch, Adam! I love this whole reveal. I was wondering how Not-Lance was managing his disguise.
As for those of you at home…um…we’ll be right back after these messages.”
These announcers crack me up.
I think I can really rest now.
Yes you can Adam, and a well deserved rest it will be! At least I hope so!

OP
QuietGuardian

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
@bhelryss Thank you! Gen II was still a time when things were made pretty easy for players, what with things like its EV/stat experience system and badge boosts. And, not to brag, but I did know what I was doing.
Glad you liked the resolution! I didn't feel completely satisfied with it, but I did have fun setting it up.

@Leon Yorunaki Thanks! Writing out the battle in a more traditional, non-journal style took more time and effort, but I thought it was what was needed. Glad it went over well with you!

@Spectacles Adam was in a state of hyper-focus against not-Lance, and when he saw an opening, he went right for it!
The announcers' names were modeled after the current Weekend Update duo on Saturday Night Live, so it's only appropriate they get in some comedic moments.
You'll get a sense of how Adam can rest in this update!

Well, I guess I can’t rest entirely. I did have to give a report to the press about what I did. Luckily, Karen spoke with me beforehand to help me prepare. And she gave me a choice of how I’d prefer I and the League approach the issue of my involvement. She said there were two main options. One, I could be cast as an intrepid hero whose worth was recognized by Suicune and who persevered with the objective of bringing the truth to light, despite the odds against me. Or two, I could be framed more as the trainer that Suicune chose to help in its quest to disrupt Team Rocket’s diabolical plan, who followed the path laid out by a Legendary Pokémon. Karen said that the first option would be more appropriate if I actually did want to become Champion, while the second one would probably take a lot of the attention off of me, both as far as the press and any potential but unlikely retaliation from the remnants of Team Rocket.

It wasn’t too hard of a decision. I never really wanted to be Champion; it was pretty much just a way to get the imposter out of that position. And I don’t love the idea of getting a ton of attention from this, both good and bad. Like, I’m glad I did it, but I don’t really want to linger on it, since it was so stressful. Besides, I think Suicune does deserve most of the credit. Without its help, I would never have been successful in outing the imposter. Oh, and my other Pokémon deserve credit, too, of course. They were the ones who really pushed themselves and got past the Elite Four.

So I worked with Karen to craft my statements around giving Suicune more of a focus in this whole thing. And Karen said that she’ll do what she can to shift the spotlight away from me—though still giving credit where it was due. She still had a lot of nice things to say about my role. And I guess I did do a fair amount. I’m just not looking to be the center of attention for it.

I’m staying here a little longer. They’re still working on retrieving Lance’s body and interrogating the Rockets. I’ve heard that some of them have given up some information, and I think more arrests have been made based on that. Team Rocket sure built up a lot of agents over the years…but that may be coming to an end now.
Well…they found Lance’s body. There’s no questioning what’s happened now.

The news hasn’t really spread yet, but I know the Dragon Clan has been notified. They’re the ones who’ll be hit the hardest. I hope they can pull through.

…I feel like I should do something for them. No idea what, though. I don’t even have Drascu’s contact information…although the monks in Ecruteak were able to get in touch with him. And I do have Morty’s PokéGear number. Could I send him something to pass along? Not sure what else I could do, since I imagine the clan won’t want visitors at the moment.

I guess it’s something.
I sent Morty a message and asked if he could pass it along, and I guess it worked, because he just sent me a response from Drascu. He thanked me for my concern in this hard time for the Dragon Clan and said that for now, they just needed time to grieve. Can’t begrudge them that. He was also really complimentary towards me, saying that I had taken on the arduous but courageous task of bringing justice and truth out of his grandson’s tragedy. So, hey, hell of an upgrade from when I first met him and tried to keep lying about everything.

Anyway, Karen mentioned a little earlier that I might be able to return to New Bark Town later this evening. They have Pokémon that can teleport me there quickly. That’d be nice to be able to get back to everyone.
It’s been longer than usual since I wrote here (though only a bit less than a day). I was able to get back to New Bark Town last night, and I’ve mostly been spending time with Mom, Zane, and Elm since then. Mom’s relieved to have me back, as is Elm. And probably Zane, even if he doesn’t show it much.

Speaking of Zane, he and Elm were able to work something out regarding him stealing the Chikorita—Magnaleaf, I suppose I should call him, even if it makes me feel dumb. Since he’s taken good care of Magnaleaf, Elm’s allowing Zane to keep him, but in return, he has to help Elm out around the lab. Elm’s said his own team of strong and loyal Pokémon could be useful if they ever get an unruly specimen to study. ‘Course, for that matter, so could mine. They’ll need to have something to do now that I’m no longer traveling and training them. Oddly enough, Suicune’s continuing to stay with me, even though we took down Team Rocket’s plan. I don’t know if it’s taken a liking to me or if there’s some other trouble it senses that I need to stop. Gods, I hope it’s not the second one. I’ve been through enough shit for a lifetime already.

I guess I can still go out and do things if my Pokémon feel the need to. For instance, I might want to take some of them to the Indigo Plateau for the summer solstice celebration—Karen made the announcement that to honor Lance’s legacy, the celebration wouldn’t be canceled, but it would include a significant memorial component for him.

Still, though…it’s gonna be weird not traveling around anymore. I’ve really gotten used to that lifestyle. Heck, I’m still journaling, even though I’ve long passed the point where I’m taking notes for Elm’s benefit. Honestly, I can see myself continuing with this. I don’t think this journal will have much that’s good for Elm, since I swapped it for the old one shortly before things really ratcheted up with Team Rocket, so I might be able to just keep it for my personal use. And then there’s my Pokémon. They’ll need to get used to not battling all the time. I hope they can manage that well.

Guess I’ll just have to work with them and see what we can figure out.
“Fuck!” In a small, secretive-looking room, a man angrily kicked a chair, sending it flying several feet. “Those fucking goddamn motherfuckers!”

Nearby, his companion, lying on a couch, raised his head to look over in that direction. He didn’t need to pose an inquiry: for the past couple of days, ever since the man impersonating Lance was found out, people had been withdrawing their support of Team Rocket. Benefactors were going back on deals previously made, and even members were straight-up quitting, admitting defeat and returning to normal civilian lives.

The very thought made him angry. He had been a part of this organization for years, and it had always been a place where strength and cunning earned respect, and those with dreams of greatness could come and work together. Even after their leader resigned and disbanded the organization, those who remained loyal to the cause had continued in secret. Now, however, everything was falling apart. The concept of loyalty seemed to no longer have meaning, replaced instead by cowardice. Strength gave way to weakness, ambition to pessimism.

It gave way to an uncomfortable fact he had to face. This was how Team Rocket died. And the idiot in the room spending his time raging over current events wasn’t helping anything. Nor were his desperate attempts to convince people to stay with the organization. Words would not solve anything. Only actions could.

Actions that he could take himself.

He rose up off the couch and began walking towards the door. “Hey!” yelled the man. “Where are you going?” He grabbed an object on a nearby table. “If you think you can abandon us, too—”

His companion turned and fixed him with a hard stare. The man looked back, but his expression changed, becoming almost fearful. As if he was reminded of his inferiority. The thought made his companion satisfied. The man had done nothing of note; now he could watch him do differently.

He opened the door and walked out.

How many of you remembered that this run goes to Red? Things may seem good to Adam right now, but there's more to come!

Before that, though, I think I need a break from this run. While it's been great to get this story out there, it's also been easy for my attention to be diverted, resulting in writing that's late and/or not as polished as I might want. Plus, I'm going on vacation next month, which'll be a lot of time not devoted to anything Nuzlocke-related. So this run will continue, but not for a little while. I'll be back the first weekend of September for more content around Adam!

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
How many of you remembered that this run goes to Red? Things may seem good to Adam right now, but there's more to com
ohhhhhh man i totally forgot!! hype...

i am very very interested

i hope your vacation is lovely, and when you come back to this story i'll be ready to read it C:

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
I never really wanted to be Champion; it was pretty much just a way to get the imposter out of that position.
Huh. That's an interesting take on things. It does make sense though- Adam really hasn't voiced any desire to be Champion throughout his entire jounrey.
I don’t know if it’s taken a liking to me or if there’s some other trouble it senses that I need to stop.
Aw, Suicune is sticking around! But I guess that makes sense considering you are going to Red...which I will admit I had forgotten or just never realized from the start! Although I am excited for more of Adam's adventures and I can't wait to see where this goes!

Users who are viewing this thread