• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Ten of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This is our final episode for the regular season. As such, this rotation of storylockes is wrapping up. We’ll hear from our authors about these! In October, our final episode will air, covering off Gracidea. Lastly, among all these big changes, Rainey and the team dig into worldbuilding!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Screenshot Let's Play Amateur Hour: Trainwreck edition - Fire Emblem: Binding Blade Hard Mode Iron Man

Thread Description
It's like a Fire Emblem nuzlocke basically. But played by a casual.

SnackyTheSylph

a weapon to surpass metal gear
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
Hello! Uh, hi.

I'm Snacky. You may know me from my Pokemon runs. Of course, that's what most people on here would be known for...but I also enjoy playing Fire Emblem. I'd call myself a casual, though. I've played all the games on GBA and 3DS (as well as, like, 2/3rds of Path of Radiance), on Normal mode for the most part. But I've been on a bit of a Fire Emblem kick lately, so I figured, what better way to put myself back in my place have a little fun than do an Iron Man run?

For those unaware, "Iron Man" is the equally-nondescript name for what's basically a Fire Emblem Nuzlocke. Fire Emblem has permanent death built into it, already, but most players will reset any time a character dies rather than suffer losing them. An Iron Man is essentially a run where you don't reset. If a character dies, they're gone for good, just like Kaga intended.

I've chosen FE6 (Binding Blade) as the game, because it's hard and easy to emulate. I've played it before, but that was on Normal mode, and a while ago. I will be using guides to know reinforcements and stuff because this game has ambush reinforcements, but other than that it's sort of blind.

This isn't going to be a master class in tactical gameplay like some veteran FE players have posted before. It's probably going to be a trainwreck. But (hopefully) it'll be an entertaining trainwreck. So sit back and enjoy the show.

1. Use of the "Restart chapter" command is banned if there is suspend data. In essence, no resetting. Deaths are permanent, and if Roy dies, it's run over.
2. Attempt to get the "true ending" (beating Chapter 25 by killing Idun with the Binding Blade). Since some gaiden chapters have character-specific requirements, it is possible for me to get locked out of it, but I'm not allowed to intentionally avoid it.
3. RNG manipulation is banned. The GBA Fire Emblems have deterministic RNG, so it can be made predictable. But I don't know how to, and I'm not allowed to find out.

Without further ado...

Welcome to Fire Emblem! FE6, that is. The run hasn't even started yet and there was already a small issue, though: I initially started playing with an old translation, and when I switched to the new translation it messed up my characters' stats. So I did this coming off of a file where I'd beaten chapter 2, so the formality screenshots (like this chapter's intro screen) are a bit sparse. Forgive me.

Unlike the other two GBA games, you actually begin with a decently-sized army, so let's take a look at them, eh?

Growths: 80/40/50/40/60/25/30 (Character growths will be listed in order HP, Attack, Skill, Speed, Luck, Defense, Resistance. They're percentages.)

First up is Roy, the Lord. Roy is footlocked (no horse) and swordlocked, which is Pro-speak for "bad". His growths are pretty good by this game's standards, but his bases are nothing to write home about. However, as the Lord, he is: a) force-deployed on every map, b) forced to traverse every map (you can't leave him behind) because every map in this game has the Seize win-condition, and c) if he dies, I lose. So I'll try to give him kills throughout the game to keep him out of one-round KO range. His promotion happening after chapter 21 of 22/25 doesn't help, either.

Growths: 60/25/20/25/20/15/20

Next is Marcus, the Jeigan. Every Fire Emblem game has one of these, with high bases relative to early-game enemies, generally mediocre growths, and a promoted class (usually Paladin). Marcus is a lot stronger in FE7, on account of being younger, but he's still good here, for now. He's my only decently bulky unit right now, and has access to all 3 physical weapon types (though I don't have an axe right now). His stats won't improve much, so he'll drop off in usefulness once my new units start to promote. For now he'll have to carry the team, though, since these enemies are really strong.

Growths: 85/45/40/45/40/25/10

Here's the first Cavalier, Alan, the Red Christmas Cavalier. Cavaliers usually come in pairs, with one favoring strength and the other favoring speed. Alan favors Strength, although the growths are only a 5% difference compared to Lance. The bases are different, though. Cavaliers are great all around, with high movement, good weapon triangle control, and a horse. These two will need some time to grow, considering most enemies in this chapter 2HKO them while they can barely kill in 3 rounds, but that's where Marcus helps.

Growths: 80/40/45/50/35/20/15

And the second, Lance the Dragon Master Green Christmas Cavalier. All the pros and cons of Alan, plus a slightly weaker damage per hit and a slightly easier-to-hit doubling threshold. Once these two grow a bit more, they should be able to carry me a bit. They can also carry the rest of my units, too; their Aid should allow them to rescue pretty much anyone.

Growths: 80/40/50/40/40/20/10

Here we have the penultimate member, Wolt: Liability #1. His bases are mediocre and his class is bad. Since he can't counter-attack on enemy phase and his bulk is bad, you have to baby him, which is kind of hard with only 3 functional units. His growths can make him a force to be reckoned with on player phase, if you raise him, but for now I'll call him a liability.

Growths: 90/30/30/40/50/35/10

To round out(?) the beginning squad, we have Bors: Liability #2. Bors has three main issues that I see: 1, his bases are pretty terrible. He gets 2HKO'd by most axe users and can't hurt or hit them worth a damn. Once enemies start doubling him (not terribly hard with his 3 base speed) he'll go down fast. 2, he has 4 movement, so he has trouble accomplishing anything unless you play super slowly. And 3, a consequence of 1 and 2, it's hard to take advantage of his decent growths because he can barely reach enemies, and when he can it's hard to kill them. Hopefully I'll amass enough good units to push him off the deployment list, but until then I'll do my best to keep him alive.

And now with all that analytical stuff out of the way, let's get some gameplay going.

Bandits are attacking Pherae(?) castle, because of course. And this guy lost his D-word privileges since the last patch.

I don't want to play super slowly, but I have to somewhat if I want to keep everyone alive.

Marcus tends to not one-round these guys, which is nice, because I'd rather give the kills to the cavaliers than Marcus. "Exp-stealing" is a pitfall, but I have more to gain from leveling Lance and Alan than Marcus. Those growths don't lie.

Mediocre start...

Nice.

It would be cool if Marcus one-rounded this guy, though, not gonna lie. Unless I can get Lance to run up there and finish the job, but he has his own Fighter to deal with right now.

Wolt barely manages to pick up the kill. That works too. There'll be time to agonize over Exp distribution once my guys stop getting 2HKO'd by everything.

Bors's hitrates are unreliable, but since he did hit this time...

Thank you, Bors count: 1

Every Fighter miss is a Vulnerary use saved, so thanks.

ow.

Eurgh.

How?

I'm slowly working my way north.

Whoops!

Watch it, buddy!

Roy needs to get levels while he can. He'll almost certainly cap before he promotes, but if I frontload his Exp gain then he's less likely to die.

Alright, it's calmed down. The other enemies should wait to approach me until I provoke them, so I'll regroup.

Use Vulneraries where needed and grab the village. I don't have a Vulnerary for every unit, but not everyone needs one, so it works out.

Now to get these guys down here...

Beautiful. 60 experience, coming right up.

Decent first level. I can never complain about Strength or Speed, I think.

Lance didn't level up.

There we go! ...I won't sneeze at the bulk or the extra 2 hit. Weapon hit rates in this game are pretty bad, as a rule.

Ironically, Lance doesn't have a lance. Not that he needs one right now with all these Fighters running around...but the Javelin could help with the Archer that's still loitering around somewhere.

Come to papa!

Feeding these to Roy, as outlined earlier...

Cleaning up...

The boss doesn't have a Hand Axe, so let's see if Wolt can chip him a bit.

cool.

Get this archer out of here, please.

Wahh! He didn't miss!

Yeesh. The archer probably couldn't have picked up the kill, but still, yikes.

This is annoying because it takes 2 vulnerary uses to keep the boss from killing if he hits again.

hahah,n o

The Cavbros can chip as long as they don't get hit

I *was* setting that up to kill with someone else, but he crit. Boss kills give a lot of experience, so it'd have been nice to give it to someone with better growths.

And that's the end of chapter 1. The game's just getting started, and so am I.

I had to start over before, so this is the second time I'm doing this chapter. Since I've only gained 2 levels in total, there won't be much variation between the last attempt and this one.

No preparations menu yet. But we did get 2(?) new units.

Growths: 45/50/30/20/70/5/60

Elen the Healer! Yay! My healing resources are now much less finite. Her bases are pretty awful, to be honest. But since she can't attack, the only stat of hers that *should* matter is Magic. Which is horrible. But it might get better. I'll hold off the stat complaints until she promotes.

I didn't cap the other new guy, but that's because he doesn't matter very much. He's Merlinus, the Convoy. In modern Fire Emblem games (starting with Sacred Stones, FE8) the Convoy command is attached to your Lord. In the Elibe games, though, it's attached to Merlinus. His stats suck, and he can only level up by surviving 100 rounds of combat. But that's not his point anyway. Aside from the convoy utility (which isn't terribly important, since unlike FE7 you can still send items when your inventory's full even if he isn't deployed), he also has another unique attribute: he doesn't die permanently. Since it's so easy for enemies to ORKO him, he basically works as a single-use-per-chapter bait/meatshield.

Also, enemy HP is hyper-inflated in this game's hard mode, So Lance doesn't ORKO this soldier. He did on the last run, but I think he got a strength level up then.

Dancing around the 2 most important stats...funny.

On the last run I made the mistake of having Merlinus do all this. While it does take Marcus out of the action for a turn or two, having the Armorslayer travel with me (since Merlinus will be staying behind to shop) is important, since it's the best way to kill the boss.

Merlinus is staying behind to shop.

What if I got a good level up in this chapter? I think that would be pretty cool

Ow, Hand Axe. Ow, weapon triangle. I think the weapon triangle bonus in this game is 1 damage/10 hit?

Oh shit! It's the Good Unit squad! ...and Wade and Lot.

Growths: 90/40/40/30/35/20/15

New recruits! Deke, the Expy. This dude looks a lot like Zoro from One Piece. He fights a lot like Zoro, too: Swords and more swords. He's got pretty great bases, and growths enough to sustain those bases later into the game as well. He's usable out of the box, unlike most of the units you have so far, which is wonderful.

Growths: 45/30/55/60/60/10/25

Shanna, the Flier. Being a flying unit is very nice. It lets you ignore most terrain penalties, so you can go pretty much wherever you want. Shanna's bases are okay. Her speed is almost unrivaled, so she'll usually double in spite of her inexcusable constitution. Her defensive bases are okay, but her HP is low, so she'll usually get 2HKO'd in any case. Her strength is ass, but Lances have decent might. I should try to feed her kills, but that's hard, and she's useful as a utility unit even if I don't.

Growths (Wade): 75/50/45/20/45/30/5
Growths (Lot):80/30/30/35/30/40/15

Wade and Lot, the Axe bros.. Lumping them together because they have the same problems. Axes are atrocius in FE6 due to their garbage hitrates, a problem which these guys can never surmount on account of their only other possible weapon type being Bows, which have their own problems. They need a handful of lucky levels before any of their stats besides HP will pass "okay". They're footlocked, too, so Paladins usually do their Axe job better. Unless my luck turns terrible, I probably won't give them very much attention.

Having a healer is really nice, because it means my units can keep the pressure on during Player phase even if they're injured. It's basically a portable "vulnerary as a free action" license.

Bad level, but good Player phase.

The fort between the cliffs provides a nice natural chokepoint now that the enemies on my side of it are gone. Wolt gets relegated to shopping duty along with Merlinus since there's nothing for him to shoot.

Forcing the hand axe guy to attack at 1 range was smart. Even the axe bros get to flex their WT advantage over Lances.

May as well stock up on these while I can, in case my healers all die.

I wish I could buy a couple axes for Marcus, but stocking up on Iron Weapons is fine too.

Shanna can hang out on the peaks until there's something for her to swoop in and pick off. I can't leave her near these enemies when her HP is so low.

Deke is basically a dismounted Marcus (what is this, Thracia?). Difference is, his stats will get better.

blooorp

good level!

Kills kills kills!

I know about Rescue dropping, am I good yet?

I should be nice and stocked now.

I want to take these guys in pairs, pretty much, because they could probably kill most of my units if they ganged up on one.

whoops

YIKES.

Elen's low base magic makes me sad. 11 healing per turn helps, but it's not ideal.

Shanna kill!

nice one.

Wuh oh, axe guy!

Good levelup, Roy!

small chance to die 😳

it's okay though

Luring more enemies...

they're on their way!

get outta here!

and then get him out of there because being in range of multiple enemies at once is scary

ow.

Good level!

nice one, Bors

Gearing up to close this out...

More good levels? You love to see it.

That archer is being obnoxious. But Deke should have no problem making good use of the Armorslayer.

pls die

50%, never lucky.

Merlinus Claus is here bearing normal-ass weapons

there we go,

An armor-slaying sword is kind of silly when armors use Lances, but it gets the job done.

Rescue dropping units out of danger, Roy killing the boss...

So safe.

And that's the clear! Finally, we're almost to chapters I haven't done yet. We'll see those...next time!

None :^)

Reactions: Twi

SnackyTheSylph

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Foreshadowing... ???

Welcome back. It's chapter 3 time. This chapter is notable for not being a bandit chapter, and that's about it.

The boss is a...*sEcReT*

Growths: 85/50/50/80/60/25/15

Oh, also, since there's chests in this chapter, we've got a Thief! Chad, the Pittsburger. His growths are decent, but his bases are bad, but it doesn't matter because he has thief utility. It's nice to level him up to bolster his speed, so that he can always steal things, but he can do everything he needs to at level 1 (besides...live a hit).

Since we still don't have battle preps, it's up to Merlinus to hand out weapons still.

Also since we don't have battle preps, the starting layout is ass. I know there's lance guys up front, but come on, Deke is so far away...!

I'm sending Bors, Shanna, and the axe bros up top to get the village up there while the main force handles the entrance guard.

not funny.

funny.

The game points out Lugh's presence, but come on, I'm on my way. Give me a New York minute.

Thanks, Marcus.

Wolt enemy phase?? Poggers.

They do call these guys loldiers for a reason, but I don't have good bulk or good strength yet, so they are a bit of a pain.

That's a bad gap. And Elen can't reach Alan down there to heal him...he's in range of 3 soldiers, with 12 HP...

yoink!

Hopefully this works out?

F

Marcus could one-round these guys with the Silver Lance, but he doesn't need to.

Clearing out these soldiers on player phase. Decent Shanna levelup. Also, one of the axe bros handed their Iron Axe off to Marcus to help with these lance users.

Uh, no one's really left to mop up that last soldier...

Neither the play nor the level-up were optimal, but they were both...decent.

And since no one was around to take-drop Alan, he's still low...

Marcus is kind of low too, to be honest...not so much anymore, but

Cutscene. Good job, Narcian, you made the game possible.

Whoops, that's not the right weapon...I had so much time to change his equips, I just forgot to.

?????

NA Aim

This situation looks manageable.

Manageable enough for me to send Lance to this village? I guess so.

I need this guy out of the way, so I'll just box him in and chip him down with Shanna.

Looks like I missed. Sick flips, though, Deke.

This wasn't optimal, but man these archers are annoying. How are they so hard to kill??

Marcus, why are your weapon ranks so ass? And how did I never notice this?

Elen has a lot of work to do.

Oh, there's a Javelin guy inside the fort...hrm. It's not like I can just move my archerbox...

Recruit secured!

Growths: 50/40/50/50/35/15/30

Lugh, the Unblockable! Enemies in this game tend to having awful Resistance, so Lugh can hit with his full Attack fairly often. Him being your first offensive Magic user makes him a welcome addition. If he gets some good Magic growth, he'll become a reliable boss-killer, I think.

Still patching myself up from the first few turns...

Ooh, that's very nice. It mostly circumvents Elen's shitty Magic.

Ambush cavs! Ahhh!

Some soldiers are still approaching, too.

Since he just got here, Lugh can have this one.

Lot can just heal up and chip that guy with his Hand Axe.

Fantastic!

...I'd like some Defense, too, but you can't look a gift Cavalier in the mouth.

I'm just gonna hold the line and let those cavs come to me. No use rushing.

ORKO!

That's fine!

Enemy phase be nice?

Good.

And the cavs start coming and they don't stop coming...

They call him Chip Kelly

Deke joined a little overleveled, but that doesn't mean I should neglect him...

It's working out...

Enemy phase time. I...don't know how it'll go with twice as many cavs.

Why are you still here??

Hoo, boy.

The Rapier is effective against the cavaliers, but Roy doesn't double and takes a decent chunk from their attacks, so I need to be cautious with it.

I also need my actual bulky units to be at peak capacity.

...I'll take it. That's basically a levelup of +1 HP for every unit she heals to not-full health.

Even Chad is helping!

And yoink Elen out, because she has 0 defense and there's Jav-cavs.

This is...fine. Woulda been nice if Lugh and Shanna were here last turn, but whatever.

Ow.

Hey, cool!

Oh shit!

No!

Fuck. I didn't pay close attention to Deke's health. There he goes...give it up for death #1, everybody!

Uhh. Uhh.

Pushing forward...More cavaliers still. God, please stop.

At least the knights are easy fodder for Lugh. And since anima magic basically weighs nothing in this game, Lugh should start doubling normal enemies pretty quickly.

how about you just don't

Alright, everything should be safe now...

Marcus's 9 strength base really shows itself against these knights.

Alan is well on his way to outpacing Marcus. Which doesn't make Marcus a bad unit, I know.

At least Lugh has no trouble polishing these guys off.

MORE CAVS?? WHAT THE HELL.

Gimme the trezzure.

oop

Thanks, cavbros.

uh, okay.

Alright, now to get to work on killing the...

FUCK DEKE DIED WITH MY ARMORSLAYER.

uhh? This works??

Wade joined with a hammer but it's absolute trash at bosskilling even though a lot of bosses are knights, because it has 50 base hit and all bosses get +30 avoid in throne bonuses.

Good levels, under these circumstances.

Something has to start working soon, before I break all my weapons chipping at this guy.

You could seriously softlock in an ironman of this game if you run out of units that can reliably damage knights.

huegh..

The new staff helps out immendsely. I don't have to spend 2 turns getting out of kill range, so I can keep the pressure on even though the boss has throne regen.

And there it goes. Very good level-up, Lugh. I'd like to see a little more HP, but no complaints otherwise.

Chapter clear!

"Well met" headass, you're bleeding out.

Well, F for Hector. Next up...I forget which chapter this is.

Oh, of course. It's the Erik map. I remember this from FE7.

Flier utility! The door key is nice to have for the future. The wasted item slot is a little sad, but it helps economize your thieves' actions more.

The Halberd would be *really* nice here if its base hit wasn't atrocious. Don't even get me started on the sword cavs.

At least they both missed...

Bors...

Oh shit.

Ah God damn it, he got doubled.

RIP, Axe bro #1. And that's death #2.

It's a huge pain in the ass how bulky these guys are.

oh, Roy isn't safe. Good to know.

I should've done a better job of screenshotting what the actual enemy layout looks like...I'll work on that.

Oh, that's...interesting. And helpful. Supports in this game provide passive proximity-based buffs based on affinity.

I'm pretty sure I only get this kill because of that support.

Very nice.

I can't kill this nomad on this turn, but he's at least boxed in so he can't move around.

...That I didn't account for, but at least he's not dead yet.

Enemies can double Bors now...

Ugh, nomads.

Clarine is here! She's good for 3 reasons: she has a horse, she's a healer, and she can recruit a handful of enemies for me. Luckily the enemies ignore her while she's a green unit, so she can just meander on over to where Roy is.

It's lucky that they don't attack her because it's kind of a mess over here still. It takes half my army to kill one of these guys, and there's five of them.

Even busting out the Silver Lance barely helps.

good job, Wolt.

On second thought, I really should not have left him there...or Roy, for that matter.

I can't get to Wolt, but this at least should stop a Game Over and keep Shanna safe.

She's in his movement range, but Marcus and Lot are standing on the tiles he could attack from. Calculated.

It was at this point that I noticed how fucked Wolt is.

Yeeeep. RIP. He had no chance with those hitrates. RIP, Wolt, death #3.

This is still bad, but once I get these guys out, that should give me some time to breathe before the pirates start coming.

I'm doing my best out here.

This guy lives another turn, but as far as I can see he can't hit anyone terribly hard.

Rutger soon.

Well, that's pretty hard, but it's not an OHKO, so it doesn't matter.

Clarine is nice enough to recruit herself, so Roy gets to keep his action! Also, aah! More cavs incoming!

The pirates have also started spawning. And while their hitrates are garbage on Chad, they do 2HKO him...

Shanna doesn't have anything else to do with these bow users monopolizing the space, so she can secure this village before the bandits start spawning.

This is about where Rutger is going to spawn, so I want to get this area cleared out so his recruitment is clean.

begone, thotticus

As long as that's happening, the pirates won't make it to Priscilla's old stomping grounds.

Major ouchies.

Rutger's squadron ambush-spawned last turn, so I need to keep an eye on him.

Clarine is close enough that she can recruit him now, but she needs to use all of her movement to do it, so I'd have to get that cavalier and archer out of the way this turn...

I'm overextending for this, I just know it. I need to pull back before anyone gets killed, worst of all Roy.

It was at this moment I realized these guys are way too bulky for me to get Rutger this turn.

This is why horses are so good. Since I'm not recruiting Rutger this turn, everyone needs to stay out of his range. The horses can rescue the units who've already moved and canto away.

Chad is out of range of this force, and Marcus can handle himself. Bors...you're on your own.

Please be nice, enemy phase.

I'm still wary of these guys. Just two errant hits spell Chad's doom, and while 11% true hit (don't ask) isn't much, it's more than nothing.

Shanna...you're doing great. I'm positioning her here carefully, to lure that cavalier away. This will keep him out of Chad's way, and keep the cav from doubling the bridge gang, who are all carrying people and thus have their speed halved.

The Iron Axe guys have higher hit, but Chad is beasting it.

okay.

Yep. The archer doubled Alan. He'd probably be dead if the cav was still around.

I don't have any more room to retreat, so let's do this now.

Rutger's recruited!

Growths: 80/30/60/50/30/20/20

Oops, I forgot to talk about Clarine's stats. Well, they don't matter too much anyway. Here's Rutger, the Edge Lord. He's our first glimpse into the power of Hard Mode bonuses. One of the ways that Hard Mode makes the game harder is by adding flat bonuses (nitpick: they aren't exactly flat; sometimes they'll deviate +- a point or so) to enemy stats to make them stronger. However, they did not include a contingency to pass over enemy units that are recruitable. So if a unit starts out as an enemy, then they'll have higher bases on hard mode. So Rutger the Myrmidon, the class of physically weak but speedy swordsters, rivals Marcus in damage output and has bulk comparable to Deke. Of course he's swordlocked and footlocked, but...whatever.

Now that he's turned his coat inside out, we should have no trouble mopping up his goons.

I think I offended Marcus by calling him weaker than a level 5 myrmidon. At least Marcus gets way better weapon types.

Allen is one point short of one-rounding either of these guys...

But Lance's support fixes that up in a jiffy.

Oh, yeah, Rutger also joins with the best* sword in the game. Remember, kids: hoarding is a pitfall.

*effective weapons are situationally better, but if there's any sword that you'd want to be the only one in the game, it's the Killing Edge.

bad and naughty bulky archers go in the horse cube to await punishment

I don't want that horse boy to get attacked by both the cav and the archer, so Chad will draw the archer's fire. The pirates can have little a free turn, as a treat.

AH SHIT

I did NOT notice he could make it over there.

Death number #4...

At least I still have one healer...

This has been a mess, and I'm in bad shape.

The pirates can't resist a good round of combat, even if it means forgoing destroying the village. So the cavbros (or any unit with a sword, really) can hold them here while everyone else goes west.

...the cavbros, and Rutger.

There are a lot of them.

I'll just...give them a wide berth. Don't want to distract 'em.

It's a start.

Oh, awesome. Just what I needed. Ambush cavalier reinforcements. As if I haven't fought enough bulky-ass FE6 cavaliers to last a lifetime.

Fuck off, cavs, my good units are busy right now.

thank you Marcus

Oh...uh, hey, guys.

This is annoying. If I keep my swords equipped, I have weapon triangle against these lances, but if I switch to lances, I have WTD against the pirates.

not helping.

I'll just hold the line and hope for dodges.

Two is a much more manageable number for topside than 4 was.

No problems. Beautiful work, Alan.

There's more cavalry in my future...

I guess I'll go back around and take em from the front.

Never punished.

I'm just gonna sell this because it's so ass, lol.

Roy's Strength base rears its ugly head.

Finally getting this map cleaned up...

Cavalier boss?

Cavbros t-pose menacingly before the archer while I figure out how to kill the boss

Archer is a bitch and I remember that hoarding and exp-stealing are both pitfalls

This isn't real boss abuse...this is like, boss-abuse lite. Boss cheese. Omelete du fromage.

And that's the chapter.

No.

roll credits

Deaths

Deke - Ch. 2 - Ch. 3

Wade - Ch. 2 - Ch. 4

Wolt - Ch. 1 - Ch. 4

Elen - Ch. 2 - Ch. 4
Picked off by CavaliersDoubled by a NomadLeft in the line of fire. Oopsie.Defensive position breached by horse

Tookie

The Immoral Bard
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
This user does not exist. All impressions to the contrary are propaganda pieces and not to be trusted.
deke dying is. unfortunate. OGIER RISE UP

deeply confused as to how the 11% true hit didn't translate to an 85% chance of a real bad day for Chad, but that could just be the XCOM flashbacks talking

:ohdear: for clarine

SnackyTheSylph

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
deke dying is. unfortunate. OGIER RISE UP

deeply confused as to how the 11% true hit didn't translate to an 85% chance of a real bad day for Chad, but that could just be the XCOM flashbacks talking

:ohdear: for clarine
me making my endgame team

One of these days I'll actually get probability'd, and then I'll never dodgetank again.

And here we have the classic, yet somewhat modern, bandit chapter. At least the layout is nonstandard.

You start directly to the left of this gate. If you end your turn in front of it it will open, giving you direct access to the castle, but...

First off, it's pretty impossible to kill this boss quickly. Especially when his Killer Axe gives him enough crit to feasibly OHKO any unit in the game up to this point.

Plus there's a whole entourage waiting behind the gate. If you open it, you'll have to deal with all of them at once. That sounds unpleasant.

(Elen died with my Mend staff, but at least I bought some spare heals last chapter...)

Taking the long way around (north) is, as the name suggests, longer. But it's also way safer because you can splinter the enemy groups pretty easily thanks to those forests.

Shanna could fly over the mountains and try to get something done, but her 17 HP and 8-12 attack make me think that's a bad idea.

So she can just chill here, poised to swoop in if she gets the chance. She can't even reach that village without getting Axed...oops, speaking of Axes, she's in hand axe range right now.

In summary, I'm taking The Long Way around.

If Chad doesn't level bulk soon, he'll start getting OHKO'd by every enemy. It's bad enough when just the low-hit Fighters can do it.

Oh, hey guys. See you soon.

I'll just hold the line here for a sec.

*shakes fist*

OW

Marcus has stopped doubling.

Lousy goddamn stupid mercs.

augh God

Some day one of these low-hits is going to land, and I will be sad.

Oh, hey guys...some of the boss's squad is breaking off to head my way. I gotta clear the front out before they arrive so I can swap my defensive position around.

Which is looking a little Herculean right now...

Say it with me now: HOARDING 👏 IS 👏 A 👏 PITFALL

The enemies are kind of ignoring Marcus, which is...fine

dodgy sword boys

OW

Blegh, get these Nomads out of my sight.

ASAP.

I should have this under control by the time the barbs get here.

Our boy?

FUCKING NOMADS

hmmmmm,,,,,,

yell heah!

at least Shanna's ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC constitution means pretty much anyone can yoink her away from archers.

safer than a bottle of Flintstones gummies

And now I can rearrange the defensive line in preparation for Barb Time

The mountain Chad's on makes these guys' hitrates 0 or close to it, but they still can't resist attacking him.

Cool

Marcus only 3HKOs these guys? Really?

Well, that's helpful, at least.

I'm just gonna...move on.

WHOOPS

I need to press forward so that the bandits won't go after my squishies

Roy's sword is breaking...where's his spare? And why does the rapier only have 25 uses in this game?

i have achieved defens

hokay. Letting the bandit onto the mountain was a mistake.

Meanwhile, this merc didn't move...for some reason.

Okay...

I think these are a tie-in with some sort of manga or something? I think their stats are something like a tier between iron and steel. Considering Shanna's strength issues, she can keep it.

It would've been pretty cool if one of you got strength.

Three mercs 😳

The forests let me be choosy about who these mercs get to attack, but it also makes it hard to get close to them.

That's pretty good.

I need to be wary of these forts, though. Some time soon, brigands will start pouring out of them.

I could kill this guy with my lance, but that might miss...

Or I could give it to Shanna. That's cool too.

mleck.

Cool and good.

The brigands are learning

ow nomad

more liek yesmad

You can tell that I'd just realized I should be more intentional about giving kills to Shanna.

Everything's going - OW - swimmingly.

I think the reinforcements will start this turn...

I didn't have time to take-drop Shanna last turn, that's a bit unfortunate.

As is that.

The Silver Lance lets Marcus 2HKO the bandits, but, weapon triangle.

Incoming!

WHOA WHOA WHOA.

guhhhhh

at least anima magic is good

F

this actually sucks really bad

Hopefully that's enough to keep everyone alive.

I should've checked. Death #5.

whoa mama.

thank you mr anima

le theme music has arrived. There's brigands coming from the south, too, but cutting off the "Hand Axe guys with direct access to the peaks" flow will help a lot.

werk it

The guys coming from below have Steel Axes, which do more damage but are way less likely to actually land.

That was worth it. Brigands give Strength EVs confirmed??

These chances make me too nervous.

I want Merlinus on stand-by in case he needs to get-down-mr-president anyone. Marcus is leading the eastern reinforcements here too. Did I mention the eastern forts are also spewing brigands like it's candy corn?

Deja vu, I have been in this place before...

I made it sound like Marcus was a lure but really he was just dying

F

wtf i hate anima magic now

I'd really like this guy to come down from the peaks...

They're trying to flank us!

More HP = less likely to die if I have her finish off a brigand but miss

...you do you, Clarine.

Uh oh.

Maybe Shanna's con isn't so bad after all.

So who can kill this guy...?

I almost called him Navarre Rutger can help out Marcus, I guess. Hold!

...okey.

The brigs start comin and they don't stop comin

good job, bors

and they don't stop comin

and they don't stop comin (oops)

this is why i sold my steel blade

and they don't stop coming

Forcing the boss to unequip his Killer Axe...

Lugh's job this is not.

I guess I could have I ALMOST CALLED HIM NAVARRE AGAIN Rutger do this, but he's really far away.

By rescue-chaining everyone out of there, the boss never attacks with his killer axe. Also, I think they stopped comin.

Let's see if they make it there before the cavbros finish the boss off

Alright, playtime's over.

Fuck it, your name is Navarre now.

Done!

Paul is the favorite of all.

Oh, right...the Fire Emblem...

What does the Fire Emblem...do...in this game? It's a MacGuffin in FE7, and...

Oh, it's part of the Binding Blade. Right.

Crazy what you learn when you read the dialogue, huh.

Not clean, but not horrendous.

FUCK I WAS GOING TO BUY DOOR KEYS AND I FORGOT

Preparations menu! Finally.

Because of the deaths, I have no choices for deployment here. ...at least I have a full army, relatively speaking.

Mission start!

So this is chapter 6. There's a path to the left and to the right, and one down the middle that's heavily guarded. We also got two new recruits.

Growths: 60/40/45/45/15/15/50

Saul, the new #2. I prefer to have two staff users, generally, so he can replace Elen. The stats are nothing to sing about, but it's not a big deal.

Growths: 85/50/45/45/35/15/15

And Dororthy, The new (euphemistic) #2. There are two growth-unit archers in this game. Why. It's not like I'm going to get two prepromoted Snipers later or anything...or two more bow users, of which both have horses and one has top-notch hard mode bonuses.

What I'm saying is it's not worth investing in Dorothy unless I'm desperate. Which, right now, I'm not.

The hallways have similar enemies near their entrances, so I split into two groups. I'm not bothering with the middle.

...I'm not bothering with the middle, but the middle is bothering with me. I need to get a handle on this...

They should all go for Marcus if I can get the Right Gang out of range.

cool.

Oh yeah, since past me didn't take any wide shots, I haven't talked about the actual main gimmick of this map. There are an assload of locked doors here. Half of them have treasure, one of them has a horsearcher, and a few have enemies.

it's free avoid

...Roy.

Growths: 55/30/55/65/50/10/15

Here's that horse archer I mentioned, Sue, the Horse-mydon. Like her future-past Sacaean kin, she's specced like a Myrmidon. But instead of using swords with 5 mov, she uses bows with 7 mov. The astute observer will notice that she ties or beats Dorothy in every stat while being 2 levels lower. I think that's pretty funny.

She doesn't start with a weapon, though, and I just noticed that overall this west wing squad is really weak.

Also, that was my only door key since I forgot to buy them in chapter 5, so only Chad can open the rest of these doors.

I'm sort of just vibing now. These mages aren't moving, and while reinforcements will come later, they aren't here yet.

Ah, shit, I forgot about Cath.

*blocks ur path*

Dorothy has been Dorothemoted.

If Chad wasn't really really far away, I could steal her lockpick.

Alas,

Cath is a recurring character. She'll show up during castle maps and try to steal some treasure. If you talk to her with Roy, she won't join you, but she will run away without stealing any more treasure. She'll join you once you've talked to her in 3 different maps (without killing her).

I don't know why she's going that way, but...now I begin the sluggish process of opening all the doors.

I knew this room was empty. But in a couple turns, a bunch of enemies will spawn there, and I want their experience points.

This room has treasure AND enemies in it. I'm trying to lure that mage with Sue, but he is not having it.

whoops. I forgot about those guys.

Ummm,

Approach me, idiots.

Plunderbar.

I think I'll just...let Rutger take care of that.

cool.

These guys are a turn later than I expected.

bluhh

We're killin it out here.

I don't know if this guy is planning to move...

!!

...bulk, though?

oh hyello

hmmm, okay

picking them off...

Awesome.

That's going well.

By the way...

Bors has been chilling here since like turn 4. The secondary reason for this is that I don't care to train him.

The primary reason is that, if all of your units move past this entrance area, an entire squadron reinforces from your spawn point, and I don't feel like dealing with them. So Bors can stay below the line until I seize. It's like choking a point, except he can't die.

Okay, cool.

More of them?

Waaah

Okay, this is actually completely fine.

Why is your base lance rank so low...?

I have most of the treasure, so it's time to start thinking about killing the boss...

...after I get this last treasure. It's a Barrier staff.

This should be fine.

Alright, let's finish this out.

Oh, yeah, Rutger/Clarine is a useful support, isn't it?

Somehow I never processed that Clarine was Etrurian. I don't think I've ever payed attention to this game's story.

hmm,

final Killing Edge crit??

damn.

Oh, it's Unlock, not Barrier.

Oh, right, I was mad before because that would've been helpful if it wasn't the best-guarded treasure on this whole map. Grumble grumble.

And a nice useless crit to finish it out. That Strength point isn't useless, though.

Ohhh, the reason Rath says he's from that tribe in FE7 is because that's Sue's tribe. It's a reference. Got it.

Well that won't do.

Off to Ostia, next time.

Deaths

Deke - Ch. 2 - Ch. 3

Wade - Ch. 2 - Ch. 4

Wolt - Ch. 1 - Ch. 4

Elen - Ch. 2 - Ch. 4

Lot - Ch. 2 - Ch. 5
Picked off by CavaliersDoubled by a NomadLeft in the line of fire.
Oopsie.
Defensive position
breached by horse
ORKO'd by a mercenary

Twi

important wizard
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
Any! (but mainly they/them and he/him, if you need specifics)
Pokémon Type
Psychic, ???
Pokédex Entry
Famous for immense laziness. Can never commit to finishing posted runs.

Tookie

The Immoral Bard
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
This user does not exist. All impressions to the contrary are propaganda pieces and not to be trusted.
god bless hard mode bonuses honestly, fucking love it when lalum route gonzales has the stats of a Berserker prepromote as a level 5 brigand

if there's a speedwing soon (it's been a while since i did 6) you can get Marcus doubling again :drunk:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)