• Ten years and still kicking! Nominations are here for the 2020 Nuzforums Extravaganza! #HappyNuzYear
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Thread Description
Ask Me Anything, Xenforo Edition

localhoney

grook
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
what did they serve at the last supper

But actually: if you had to credit a writer or writers (novels etc or on the forums) with influencing you and your writing the most, who would it be? What are some things you notice you've taken and adjusted to your style?

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
What made you decide to become a mod on the forums?

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's your favorite chapter/scene from your storylocke and why?

MyztixSoundZ

Princess Mononobrains
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
You can call me anything as long as you call me yours ;)
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost, Beautiful, ???
Pokédex Entry
Fucking aroud and finding out, catch me and these hands
How dare you?

Are there any forms of writing that you haven't tried which interest you enough to give a go?

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Psychic, Steel
Sorry for the holdup y'all, would not have dropped in here if I'd known how crazy the week would get. D;

who gave you the right????

also: actual q, I guess, how do you feel your writing has improved over the past two or three years? If you looked back at items from ~2017, are there tics or techniques that you can identify that you've worked on?
Something I've really tried to work on over the years is making sure every word on the page serves a purpose. In the past there have been scenes/exchanges that maybe didn't need to exist, or worked against the tone/themes I was trying to convey. It's something I've become more aware of over the years, having taken cues from writers here who are very intentional with the words they choose (including yourself, hi!).

Another smaller, more specific thing that used to be common for me was repeating words, especially when blocking characters, so I've tried to be more cognizant of that!

what did they serve at the last supper

But actually: if you had to credit a writer or writers (novels etc or on the forums) with influencing you and your writing the most, who would it be? What are some things you notice you've taken and adjusted to your style?
sir I'm not THAT old, damn... but broccoli cheddar soup, probs

Oh, hm... I've answered similarly in the past, but the Hunger Games was my first exposure to 1st person present in a published work? I loved the intimacy and immediacy of it and it felt really natural to write, which has definitely influenced my go-to style. I write exclusively in present tense, these days, and 1st person is def my comfort zone. As far as fanfic goes, I had some earlier influences that I think I drew from. On FFN a good friend of mine had a knack for exposing character backstory through little wham lines thrown in here and there, and drawing crazy parallels between characters. I was enthralled with her writing and really sought to mimic it -- never quite got there, her style was a lot more free-flowing than what comes naturally to me, but I've definitely taken some things away a la wham lines, and between that and my comm background drawing character parallels is second nature now. A name that might be familiar to some is Rise and Fall, who was around the forum a few years back. She was my intro to nuzlockes, but perhaps more importantly, her first nuzlocke (Locke and Key) was gritty, raw, and had a very rough-around-the-edges protag (coincidentally, also a smoker hehe). I'd been kicking Nat's character around in my head for a while, and seeing her write a protag like that and make it so enjoyable, really gave me the courage to tell my own story. She was an incredible friend, and I had the privilege of beta-reading some of the later chapters. I learned a lot from that process, as well, as it taught me how to critically consider my own writing. I miss her. 😭

What made you decide to become a mod on the forums?
I've been around the forums for close to... 9 years now, I think? This place has been a part of a good chunk of my young adult years, and I wanted to find ways to give back to the community that's given so much to me! I also work in HR, which is basically just real-life admin/mod work lmao, so I felt that some of those skills might translate and allow me to help the team! I started off as a discord mod in writechat, and after a while I was so involved, it just made sense to me to apply for forum modship when the opportunity arose.
What's your favorite chapter/scene from your storylocke and why?
Over the past 9 years with Impulse, I've had a lot of scenes I love dearly, for so many different reasons... I'll sorta cheat and say the most recent arc has been my favorite? My protag survives a pretty traumatic event, suffers a heavy loss, and earns a target on her back from some pretty lethal people. And because of who she is, she just sorta... shuts down. Returns to her home town, and gives up. Returns to her life before training, before she had a chance to get out and see the world. But she's outgrown the town, and the arc is about her realizing this and learning to cope as best she can with what's happened to her, and accept that it's time to move forward again. It's been a detour, but so demonstrative of her growth, and it's been an incredible payoff for me as a writer (and hopefully for my readers ;; ) The arc has just concluded and she's moving forward again, so, here's a snippet from the most recent chapter that was really special to me to write. It's a scene between Nat and her mother. Historically they have not had a very good relationship, but they've sort of mended fences now that Nat's been back home, and she's trying to protect her mother from the truth as she plans to run off to take on Galactic head-on, fully expecting to die trying:
"You don't have to do this," she says quietly. "I know things are tough right now, but… we could figure it out. We always do. You could just stay."

I want to reassure her. I want to tell her the truth. I want her to force me to stay, and I want to kick myself for thinking she could. She doesn't know the gravity of the situation -- doesn't know that I'm about to attempt something far more dangerous. She can't know I've accepted there's a good chance I won't be back.

But I know staying isn't an option anymore.

I pull out of her grip gently, and she doesn't fight it. I pocket Clem's Pokeball, unable to meet her gaze. "I'm sorry. This is something I have to do. I'll be back home soon."
Also, since this is a lot more straightforward to answer about dandelion, have a bonus of my favorite bit of writing from there so far, from the first time Sonia saw Chairman Rose:

She almost doesn't recognize the man at first glance. He's dressed modestly, with a ball cap pulled low over his face and dark sunglasses despite the overcast sky. She's seen him countless times on the telly, but only once before in person on an equally dreary day.

She remembers wondering at the time what kind of man precedes his arrival with decorative sprays of his own namesake, wears pale gray amongst a sea of somber black, who dares to talk business to an old woman in mourning. The funeral parlor had been drenched in blood-red roses, a murder at the hands of his hubris.

How dare you?

Are there any forms of writing that you haven't tried which interest you enough to give a go?
Hmm, idk about forms of writing specifically, but I've always wanted to try my hand at something with heavy worldbuilding? Both of my stories are more character-focused, and most of my plot/worldbuilding just sort of builds off existing canon? There are definitely things I've tweaked that I'm really proud of, but some day it would be cool to strip a nuzlocke/region down to barebones and figure out every tiny detail about history, culture, and how to incorporate other elements into the story.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
It's been a while, AMA!

Memento

The Princess of Darkness
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
She is known to spend hours daydreaming about her stories.
EDIT:

So, Skarm, how did you grow to love Skarmory so much?

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
If you had to pick between skarmory and charizard, which would win?

Thirteenth

eternally crying over the botw trilogy
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The reason she guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that she wants them to hurry up and leave.
If you had to share an excerpt of a creative project that you're particularly proud of, what would it be and why?

PageEmperor

Kermit Seismitoad isn’t real, it can’t hurt you
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
The guy with that Glazed comic.
Your saddest personal death in your nuzlockes of each genration?

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Let's go for a picnic by the lake, what are you bringing?

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
So, Skarm, how did you grow to love Skarmory so much?
So for a long time Skarmory was actually a Pokémon I tended to forget existed-I usually thought he was a Gen 3 'mon since you never even see them in Gen 2. Then one day I was playing through Emerald (not as a Nuzlocke) and wanted to change my team, and I saw a random Skarmory I had caught and was like "let's try him." He really impressed me, but not quite enough to become a top 5 favorite.
A few years later, I'm doing a randomizer 'locke (it's in my sig, but I think the screenshots are broken from the forum move), and my first encounter in Diglett's Cave was a Skarmory. I was like "if I catch this girl, she's on my team because no one ever catches one in a locke". Somehow I succeeded, and she ended up being one of my best 'mons (as well as probably the crowd favorite since I let them name her since I derped on the name screen-her name became Ironshard). She walled so many things my team would've struggled against, beat a gym leader's ace 9 levels above her, and was just amazing. I ended up losing her to a Gorebyss in the Pokémon Mansion, and it was the closest I've ever been to crying at a death. It took a crit STAB Explosion (via Camouflage) to take her down.
Ever since, the 'mon's been a top-5 favorite of mine. I've had one in almost every 'locke since if available.

If you had to pick between skarmory and charizard, which would win?
Don't make me choose 😭
I'm gonna say 'Zard mainly because he's been a favorite 'mon my whole life, while Skarm only became one in the last few years. 'Zard being in Smash helps him as well. #Skarmory for Smash

What's your favorite thing about the forums?
So many things: there's the creative side-seeing the absolutely incredible stories people have made out of their runs and the Pokémon universe is an absolute joy, and I feel like it's made me more creative/a better writer.
Plus the community in general-this is by far the nicest/most welcoming internet community I've ever seen. It's even made someone like me-who's probably one of the biggest introverts on the planet-feel like I actually fit somewhere for once (even though I'm admittedly not super involved right now mainly because I have a bunch of IRL stuff).
Honestly, I want to say everything, but I'll say the creative aspect.

If you had to share an excerpt of a creative project that you're particularly proud of, what would it be and why?
This is tough because most of my stuff is WIPs and I'm not super confident in any of it, but I'm gonna go with a scene from a randomizer storyshot I was doing on the old forums (planning to start reposting it soon). Even though it's a screenshot run, I had a few purely written chapters as well for plot/development. I'll link to it because length and I like the whole scene in general.
Here it is.
I really like the scene because the relationship was one of my favorites in the run and I thought it was a good way for them to help each other. I still need to finish the game to see if they both survive...

Your saddest personal death in your nuzlockes of each generation?
So I haven't 'locked OG Kanto or Johto, so I'm counting the remakes for them. Also haven't 'locked Galar yet.

Kanto: The Rhydon I lost against Bruno. I'd never used one before, and even though she was the newest teammate she'd quickly became one of my best. Still don't know why I didn't give her Earthquake...
Johto: Probably the Mantine I lost against Lance. Again, never used one until then, but she'd impressed me. My MVP Nidoking had just taken out the L50 Dragonite, but another one was coming in and he was at 18 HP so I had to swap. Mantine was my other Dragon counter...except one had Thunder, and I had no way to know which Dragonite was coming. You can guess what happened.
Hoenn: The Mightyena I lost against Steven in Ruby. This was my very first run-nine or ten years ago-and it still hurts. Second catch went all the way to the league, and I was semi-shipping her with my Sceptile. I sent her in against Aggron while I healed another teammate...cue crit Thunder. I should have sent in Sceptile since it couldn't do anything to him, but...I was so worried about keeping him alive.
Sinnoh: The Luxray I lost against Lucian in Platinum. Again, second catch who went all the way to the league, and was arguably MVP up to that point. Alakazam was the last thing between us and Cynthia, and I thought he was gonna heal...cue Focus Blast. I ended up losing two other 'mons to Cynthia, and I still feel like had Luxray been there, one or both of them might have lived as well.
Unova: Tie between a Stoutland from White and a Sandslash from White 2. I say both because I lost both against the same 'mon-Shauntal's Chandelure. The Stoutland was my first catch that run, so it was arguably sadder, but the Sandslash really hurt because I basically sacrificed her to heal up my counter (Zoroark), only to later find out he could've just killed it first and Sandslash could've lived.
Chandelure was on my shit list for a long time because of those.
Kalos: The Venomoth I lost in a wonderlocke. He was my pseudo-starter, soloed early parts of the game when I only had him and a Burmy with no attacks, and went a lot farther than I expected him to go. I was exploring Terminus Cave for a Dusk Stone for my Doublade, when I ran into a trainer with a Conkledurr. I thought he could beat it even without Psychic...cue Rock Slide.
Alola: I've only done one run here, so I have to say the Mudsdale I lost toward the end. Even without Stamina, he was incredible-he OHKOed Totem Mimikyu, which was a fight I was dreading. I thought he would go all the way, but a trainer in Vast Poni Canyon had other ideas. I don't remember ever having so much bad luck in one fight (flinches, burns, and crit all in one battle).

Let's go for a picnic by the lake, what are you bringing?
I'm not much of a cook, so probably just sandwich ingredients and chips/snacks. And the drinks-can't forget those!
I'll also take care of the utensils/napkins :v:

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It’s been a while since I’ve hopped in! AMA!

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
If you could design a Fairy/Fire Pokemon, what would it be based on and why?

Tai-Wind

Don't call it a comeback
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Beautiful
how does it feel to have a finished comic run?

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
It's time to join an Evil Team™ (Rocket, Magma, Skull etc...) - which do you choose and why?

Argentum

My avatar is in fact a dude.
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He, Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
A passionate bunch, Argentums are limited by their own minds. Who knows what happens when they break through their mental barriers?
You are chosen to create a Pokemon league, what would be the typing/theme for the gyms + E4 and why?

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
woop woop answer time!

If you could design a Fairy/Fire Pokemon, what would it be based on and why?
Hm... prooobably a Phoenix? I feel like if Fairy had been around in gen 2, Ho-oh easily could’ve been Fire/Fairy and Lugia could’ve been Water/Psychic

how does it feel to have a finished comic run?
It’s WEIRD. Also nice. Lucky platinum was so much fun to work on and I’m really glad

It's time to join an Evil Team™ (Rocket, Magma, Skull etc...) - which do you choose and why?
Hmm probably Team Skull because ive

What's your favorite rival in any pokemon game and why?
It’s probably Bede tbh. I love how stuck up he is and I think his little arc is neat! Plus his battle theme slaps.

You are chosen to create a Pokemon league, what would be the typing/theme for the gyms + E4 and why?
Oh hey, I’ve actually done this! iirc gyms are Grass/Fire/Water/Ice/Fairy/Poison/Ground/ Normal, and each town is themed around the gym type somewhat. Elite Four would be something like Steel, Bug, Dark, and Electric, I think..? It’s weird that electric isn’t really represented in main game E4s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)