• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Nine of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode contains a discussion segment on gjinka nuzlockes, as well as the continuations of all our fabulous featured stories.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Additional Rule in Blaze Black and Volt White (and sequels)

What do you think of this optional Nuzlocke rule?

• Like the idea, seems reasonable for a Blaze Black Volt White Nuzlocke

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Seems OK, but I'd do something different

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Dislike this rule, I'd implement it differently

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Dislike this rule, it seems too lenient

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OmegaAlphaDelta123

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 24, 2020
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
They
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fighting
Hey guys, so I like playing Volt White on Nuzlocke Mode and I've thought of an additional rule that could potentially make things more interesting, but could be going against the spirit of a Nuzlocke:

You can catch two Pokemon in an area, a light grass and a dark grass encounter.
Pros:

- Could potentially make for a more interesting challenge by having the ability to capture a greater amount of Pokemon to compare and contrast strategies with in a more difficult game.
- The argument against this in vanilla Black and White is that most of the dark grass spots consist of the same encounters you get in light grass. However, in BBVW, this isn't an issue, look at the encounter table on Route 3, for instance:
Grass, Normal: Mareep (20%), Taillow (20%), Shellos (10%), Sunkern (10%), Lotad (10%), Seedot (10%), Shinx (10%), Abra (5%), Phanpy (5%)
Grass, Doubles: Blitzle (20%), Pidove (20%), Growlithe (10%), Vulpix (10%), Hoppip (10%), Budew (10%), Marill (5%), Houndour (5%), Volbeat (4%), Illumise (4%), Lombre (1%), Nuzleaf (1%)
- With only four Pokemon related by evolutionary line in the grass, Pinwheel Forest clause could be applied to light and dark grass in this game.
- Personal one: the early game of BBVW is brutal (Lenora) and I want a mercy rule that isn't 'unlimited healing items' or 'over level to oblivion.' Increasing the amount of encounters I receive makes sense to me.
- The dark grass provides an interesting risk reward scenario: Do you risk getting in a double battle with stronger Pokemon and having one of your Pokemon ganged up on and KOed? Or do you accept it's too dangerous, cut your losses and flee?
Cons:
- Some might see this as going against the spirit of a Nuzlocke, as the idea is that you have to work with what you're given and getting multiple encounters on a single route compromises this.
- If you can get two encounters on a route, why stop there? What's stopping you from having a water encounter, fishing encounter etc. This rule could easily get out of hand if you're too lenient with it.

Overall, I like the idea of this rule and I'm open to suggestions. What do you guys think?

Also, is this the right place to post this or should it be in Challenge Discussions?

Last edited:

Tai-Wind

Don't call it a comeback
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Beautiful
yknow i do see the rationale behind this, being the fact that when the encounter tables are this different you should be allowed more encounters in an area; a lot of people implement something like that in pinwheel forest in vanilla b/w because outside pinwheel forest you have throh sawk and timburr and then inside you have lots of bugs

however the problem arises when one tries to do this for every dark grass, because there's a lot of it in the unova games (seeing as they introduced the idea). the reason this bugs me is that having that many catches later in the game is an incredibly unfair advantage compared to people who do not use this rule. while i'm aware that quantity does not necessarily equate to quality, with more chances one is more likely to strike gold and steamroll the game as a result.

what i would do instead is allow someone to catch both of the pokemon but only keep one. like to use the route 3 example, you could get a taillow in the light grass, but then run into growlithe in the dark grass; you now have to decide whether you want to use growlithe or taillow going forward. having to make these choices adds a level of challenge in and of itself because you have to consider what'd be more advantageous going forward, and you don't end up with a box any fuller than the average nuzlocke of bbvw.

also, for my money, the early game being "brutal" is not really an excuse. overleveling shouldn't be a solution, but if you do have a personal rule against overleveling, it's a little disingenuous to add a different leniency rule to circumvent that. it is after all called a nuzlocke "challenge" is it not?

OmegaAlphaDelta123

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 24, 2020
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
They
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fighting
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That does sound like a decent compromise and I can definitely see your point about getting too many good Pokemon for a run. Maybe it was just because I was playing with incredibly strict level caps in the first place in my initial battle against Lenora.

To be fair, the encounters start looking pretty same-y from Driftveil to Icirrus. For example, the Encounter tables for the Cold Storage:

Grass, Normal: Vanillite (20%), Herdier (20%), Snorunt (10%), Swinub (10%), Cubchoo (10%), Buizel (10%), Mienfoo (10%), Taillow (10%)
Grass, Doubles: Vanillish (20%), Herdier (20%), Swellow (10%), Floatzel (10%), Sneasel (10%), Delibird (10%), Smoochum (10%), Piloswine (10%)

Only six unrelated Pokemon around here, and it only gets more pronounced to further you go into the game until Route 9 is reached.

Route 6:
Grass, Normal: Cherubi (20%), Deerling (20%), Stantler (10%), Foongus (10%), Pidgeotto (10%), Natu (10%), Mime Jr. (5%), Bonsly (5%), Plusle (5%), Minun (5%)
Grass, Doubles: Cherrim (20%), Sawsbuck (20%), Stantler (10%), Foongus (10%), Pidgeotto (10%), Xatu (10%), Mr. Mime (5%), Sudowoodo (5%), Plusle (5%), Minun (5%)

Route 18:
Grass, Normal: Throh (20%), Sawk (20%), Heracross (10%), Munchlax (10%), Dwebble (10%), Lickitung (10%), Kangaskhan (10%), Tropius (10%)
Grass, Doubles: Throh (20%), Sawk (20%), Heracross (10%), Munchlax (10%), Crustle (10%), Lickitung (10%), Kangaskhan (10%), Tropius (10%)

Route 9:
Grass, Normal: Gothorita (20%), Duosion (20%), Kirlia (10%), Minccino (10%), Pawniard (10%), Skitty (10%), Liepard (10%), Persian (10%)
Grass, Doubles: Flaaffy (20%), Luxio (20%), Hypno (10%), Cinccino (10%), Bisharp (10%), Garbodor (10%), Houndoom (10%), Granbull (10%)

So, I'd say going off your point, that between Cold Storage and Route 8, Double grass shouldn't be used at all, since you'd essentially be getting the same types of Pokemon, so no variance and I do like the compromises.

Also in BBVW2, there are practically no differences between dark and light grass encounters, so this rule should only be for BBVW

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)