• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

Screenshot Let's Play General A World of Light Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Hard Mode (Updated 11/3)

Mr Spaz

I caught the big– OH SHIT
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
"Your Majesty" is gender neutral. (he/him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying, Ghost
My hypest moment was my first time doing the Galeem/Dharkon battle. Every boss except Dharkon died to Falcon Punch. Then Falcon died and I finished Dharkon with DK's Giant Punch.

Also, now that you've finished, are you gonna try this on Normal next?

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
yo congrats! I can never manage to do that final fight without losing anyone (even with auto-heal) so good on you!

Hypest moment for me was definitely Banjo reveal trailer. As I've stated multiple times in this thread already I've wanted him in since the Melee days. So it was fantastic seeing him. I would have said Cloud reveal trailer maybe but unfortunately some jerks on youtube spoiled that he got in before I could see the direct that day.

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Capable of casually moving faster than the speed of sound. His top speed is unknown, though some theorise it to be faster than light itself.
For the question, my hypest Smash moment should be a bit obvious considering who I am.

That is, of course, when the Blue Blur himself, Sonic The Hedgehog, was revealed to be joining Smash, way back in Brawl.

As for other stuff...

Hisoutensoku was actually released in 2009, over ten years ago. A more recent fighting game would be Antinomy of Common Flowers, which was released in 2017. The first Touhou Project fighting game, Immaterial and Missing Power, was actually released as early as 2004!

Here's gameplay footage of AoCF:

The Touhou Fighting Games are also a case of ascended fans taking the helm, as the games were developed by a collaboration between ZUN and a doujin circle named Tasogare (Twilight) Frontier, who were previously well known for making Touhou fan games (Most notably a fan game called Mega Mari, which is a Mega Man-style fan game starring series deuteragonist Marisa Kirisame).

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And now for the ending. I'm a little sad to be honest-I had a lot of fun making this run, and I'm gonna miss it.

I know I've said this before, but thank you all so much for sticking with me on this journey. When I started this run back in November, I never expected it to get much attention, since I'd just rejoined the forums and it wasn't a traditional Nuzlocke. But when it did, it made me really happy-every time I saw a new comment I was over the moon. I've learned a lot about some of the various series repped in Smash thanks to you all, and I hope maybe you did as well. More than anything, I've loved actually being able to talk Smash with fellow fans-I've never had an opportunity to do that, and it's been awesome. I think that's the thing I'm gonna miss most about this run-in a way, it's made 2020 a little less shitty.

@redninjapuffle: Thanks!
He definitely is, and the best part is, that was before 8.0.0 dropped. When I saw the buffs he got, I was very excited.

@Mr Spaz: Oh, that's awesome! I would totally do the same if I used Falcon/Ganondorf more, or if I hadn't lost Donkey :c
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna do it again on at least Normal. Not 100% I can beat Hard, but I'll probably give it a try sometime.

@hobohunter: Thanks man! My mouth was stuck open for like five minutes after-I'd never soloed it either, so I was super excited.
Same here-I think we've said the same about Banjo. Cloud was pretty hype too, even though I'm not a FF fan (Mewtwo and Bayo were the only ones of the 4 DLC I'd bought before Ultimate came out, but I was planning to buy him next because he looked intriguing. Then Ultimate dropped and I was like "f it, I'll buy the others for completionism").

@Neosonic97: Sonic getting in was a big hype moment too-it was cool seeing third-party reps getting in.
Oh wow, they've been running almost as long as Smash has! I never would have known that.
That's cool that they started as a fan work, and that the creator is accepting/even helped with it. I wish Nintendo had that attitude about fan games-some of them look really solid. Is the Mega Man fan game just a reskin or actually pretty unique?
Question: I think my hypest moment in Smash was either when I found out Ultimate was gonna have a story mode, since I was really disappointed we didn't get one in 4, or when Banjo was announced, since I'd been wanting him in for almost 20 years. Mewtwo returning and Ridley and K. Rool finally getting in were pretty hype as well.
Although I'm kind of inclined to say I just had my hypest moment with Falco sweeping the whole final battle...

It's over-Galeem and Dharkon have been successfully crushed under Falco's boots. All that's left is to watch the ending.

With Galeem and Dharkon defeated, all the fake Hands disintegrate.

The Lord of Light falls to pieces...

...and so does the Deity of Darkness. I like how his eye goes dark as he falls.

This almost looks like a setup for one final attack.

But it's just buildup for their demise.

Their destruction returns the world back to normal.

And all the spirits fly away, presumably back to their home worlds, as a familiar song kicks in.

These have to be some of the most beautiful images I've ever seen in a video game.

In a way, it reminds me of a giant highway full of traffic, just on a more cosmic scale.

And Lifelight's lyrics fit this scene incredibly well. Which was probably intentional.

Full ending here:

The ending is pretty similar to Subspace. I just wish they'd added the scene where all the fighters are gathered watching everything return to normal. But that'd probably be too much, considering how many characters there are (it was probably hard enough in Brawl since that ending could have anywhere from 6 to all 35 of them there), especially since we're still getting characters as DLC. It's still a nice ending though-I like the cutscenes replaying as the credits run, and that piano at the end is lovely.

Anyway, after that, you receive the two strongest spirits in the game. The effects aren't all that-they only really come in handy for fighting either one individually-but it's still neat, and they are the strongest of all (13,640 power at level 99). But they don't allow you to equip any supports, so a strong team coupled with the same-series boost might top that, since it could break 15,000 (maybe even 16,000).
(I also got a Mew spirit for clearing the fight without anyone getting KOed, but it's not really relevant.)

I guess that's it, then. We've successfully completed a World of Light Nuzlocke. It's been an incredible ride, and I'm so happy you were along for it with me. But I guess this is the end.

Well...it doesn't have to be.

When you win the final battle, you can see how much of WoL you've completed on your file. There are 615 fights total, so that leaves 100 that I skipped. 6 are character unlocks (Ryu, Toon Link, Ness, the Miis), 2 are the bad endings, and the other 92 are scattered around the various maps. If you guys want me to, I'm willing to go for 100%, although there are some really tough fights left out there (Pauline, The Boss, Geno, and Dr. Wily all come to mind, and they're not the only ones). But there's a few characters who never got any action who could go for it.

You also unlock New Game+ when you win the final battle, which starts you at the beginning, but with all your fighters and spirits available. I could do a run through it, but...refighting the fighter unlocks is kind of pointless, and with superpowered spirits from fight 1, it's not gonna be much challenge. It'd still be fun though, especially with 8.0.0 out (er, 8.1.0...Small Battlefield is such a silly addition...)

So if you want me to go for 100% or do New Game+, let me know. But I guess this is it for now.

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 515
Fighters alive: 68
Fighters lost: 5
Run MVP: ...actually, I'm not sure yet.​
Falco's the obvious answer, but several others have good arguments as well. Mario and R.O.B. took down the two scariest bosses, both Bowser and Fox destroyed a boss and some pretty tough fights, freaking Jigglypuff beat probably the scariest individual spirit, Simon defeated a few really tough ones as well, Lucario and Peach demolished Galeem and Dharkon individually, and obviously we wouldn't even be here if not for Kirby...who do you guys think it should be?

Last edited:

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
As much as I'd love to see 100%, you do whatever you want. You beat the run and did a great job doing it. So continue if you want. I support your decision.

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Capable of casually moving faster than the speed of sound. His top speed is unknown, though some theorise it to be faster than light itself.
Is the Mega Man fan game just a reskin or actually pretty unique?
MegaMari is actually pretty unique. See, you actually have two characters- the aforementioned Marisa Kirisame, and her next door neighbour Alice Margatroid. Their basic movement is the same, but their weapons are different, including the ones they get from bosses (This is important, either Marisa or Alice gets a weapon from bosses, and not both).

It's also very hard, but what did you expect from mixing Mega Man with a bullet hell series?

Of course, I'm not too great at explaining it, so here's a thread by another user that covers MegaMari in greater detail.

Another Touhou fangame which may pique your interest is Gensou Ningyou Enbu, otherwise known as Touhou Puppet Dance Performance, which is inspired by Pokemon. If you want more details at the risk of spoilers, a few people have been doing runs of it, Nuzlocke or otherwise. Here's one example of a completed run! #shamelessplug

Really, Touhou fangames can come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and genres. There are the Pokemon-esque Touhou Puppet Play ROM hacks as well as the aforementioned Puppet Dance Performance, Super Marisa Land (also made by Tasogare Frontier, it's based on Mario [and even gets referenced in MegaMari]), Shanghai.EXE: Genso Network is a fangame based on the Mega Man Battle Network series, and don't even get me started on Genso Shoujo Taisen (Fantasy Maiden Wars), based on Super Robot wars.

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
otherwise known as Touhou Puppet Dance Performance,
So adding onto this, I have my own current thread about my nuzlocke of the game (Shameless Plug is Shameless) and its really fun and I recommend that you at least check it out. It gets very hard later on with like dumb coverage however, and downloading the full game (Shard of Dreams included because it is much better than the original) is a big pain so pick what you wanna do.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Just popping in to let everyone know I've decided to go for 100% after all. Full update should be in a few days, but...something really weird happened while I was playing. I was in the Dark Realm clearing up a couple fights I skipped there, and...I don't know if it was some kind of glitch, but for a second I legit thought I was about to experience a creepypasta, because as far as I know, this shouldn't have happened. Obviously nothing creepypasta-esque actually happened, but it was definitely weird. Will give details when we get to that point.

Also, not everyone will survive...

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Today we begin the road to 100%. I would've had this up way sooner, but work has been a royal bitch lately, plus I've been wrapped up in Origami King (great game btw, although certain moments will rip your heart out).
Sweetpaper Valley legit almost made me cry, and a video game hasn't made me feel that way in a long time (I think EoT was the last one, Nuzlockes excluded). And I even knew what was gonna happen since I don't really mind spoilers.

So even though we've saved the world, there's still some stuff to do-there are still a few fighters to save and a few dozen fights left.

And a new character to use. So far Min Min seems pretty fun to play, and I really like Spring Stadium. She didn't make it in time for the main story, but she'll get a chance to help now.

It seemed fitting to go back to the very beginning to start things off. As much as I wanted to keep using Falco (especially since he got mega buffed), I felt like he should have a break since he did just kill two gods.

Also, I figured the first priority was to use all the characters I didn't use in the main game. They're marked with a yellow border.
...Looking at it, I was actually surprised there were only eight (plus the six I never rescued, and Min Min wasn't out yet). I don't really like most of them, but...I guess it's only fair.
(Was also tempted to add a crown over Falco for obvious reasons, but it didn't look right and was obscuring Fox completely.)

Gonna be honest, I kind of planned a route out as I went along. Started with this fight since I saw a chest behind it.

Inkling was first on the use list since I rescued them way back in part...8, I think?
Picked this alt since it's about the only one I don't completely hate, especially since the boy is slightly less annoying than the girl. Still a bottom 5 character for me though.

Considering this was literally the very first time I've played as an Inkling, it went surprisingly well. And the chest is:

Useless, although I do like this song.

Moving on to grab a spirit with an overworld ability we missed.

Probably should've used a character who doesn't take damage in water, but it worked out.

And now we can use this boat from way back near the very start.

A thing I noticed as I was playing was that I apparently skipped a lot of the dojo spirits, which was unintentional. I also totally forgot this guy was one of them...

What's with all the Jigglypuffs?

That shouldn't have been that difficult, but again, I'm using this character for the first time ever 🤷‍♂️

Oh well, moving on.

Much better.

One of the more unique Assist Trophies! (As well as another one for the "I have no idea who this is" pile :sweatdrop:)

I figured I'd wait until she went away before I fought off Zelda.

There we go. And there's a character close by...

This is the Mii I originally thought was Isabelle.

(Apparently I missed the "joins the battle" screen ._.)
Anyway, I really have no opinion on any of the Miis since I've never played them. Kind of funny that Sakurai didn't think they were appropriate to add to Brawl, but then they were fine in 4.

Was heading to the boat when I passed by this fight. Kind of surprised Brittany and Charlie didn't get to be Olimar alts like Alph did (also, what about Louie and the President?).

Easy now, but would've been murder back at the beginning.

I question there being two Kapp'ns, but at least we can use the boat now.

Naturally, there are fights along the way.

Shulk was next on the list, since he got unlocked next after Inkling. I don't mind him, but I never really play him since it feels like you need a 9000 IQ to use him/the Monado Arts effectively.

Or maybe that's just in competitive circles?

I feel like that doesn't really fit since they take damage in water...

Also pretty simple.

This fight, though...it was easily one of the hardest for me on my first playthrough.

Four Kirbys each having a Star Rod is a pain in the ass.

Luckily this happened, although I really think Shulk's FS is kind of lame compared to a lot of the others.

But it got the job done. That leads us to an airplane, which inexplicably doesn't need a pilot...

And suddenly we're on a real-world map! Which makes me wonder if it's suggesting Galeem's attack even affected Earth...or maybe I'm just seeing something that isn't there.
(It's probably the latter since it's intended as a Street Fighter reference, but given this is the only time a map of Earth is seen in Smash...)

Music: World Tour (Player Select Type A)

It's a cool area, though-you start in Japan and fly to various other regions. First stop, China...which is not somewhere I want to go right now.

One guess what series all the spirits in this area are from.

Easy enough. I think I grabbed her and she died from the pummel.

Next stop is South America (far northwest Brazil?) for some weird reason.

Also simple, although WTF is Blanka exactly?

Then Russia...

Ew.

A little tougher, but still not bad. Also this opens another dojo.

Next stop, Vegas!
(This is the most convoluted trip around the world ever.)

And I have something to counter the reduced jump, while it just makes Mac even more trash.

Luckily I do know Buster deals extra damage.

Now to Spain, and hey, wolverine claws are cheating!

Then again, I guess a magic sword is too, so :v:

Then we go to...Thailand? Myanmar?
(I'm decent with geography, but some areas are a little confusing...)

The Lip's Stick made this one really easy.

Final stop, either Malaysia or Indonesia.
(Are these locations accurate to the series?)

This could be tough...but he can't reflect projectiles since I don't have any.

He ended up getting an FS, but it didn't do much. Then I broke his shield, but apparently missed him somehow...

Oh well, he still died.

And we go back to Japan for a fighter!

Well, that was obvious.

Easy enough.
It's cool that Ryu's in, but like I said at the Ken unlock, I never really use him since I have no idea how to do the input moves. Sometimes I apparently do one with no idea of what the hell I did...especially since I know I pushed A instead of B.

Back to the main map.

I probably should have used Shulk for this fight since (I think) that's his girlfriend, but I figured I should go to the next fighter so I didn't miss anyone. It got pretty ugly...

But the FS did the trick.

I wonder why these were only an AT in Brawl?

So many bikes!

That was fun.

Why are there Wii Fit Trainers? Don't tell me they're supposed to be his fangirls :facepalm:

I have no idea what I was doing in this fight...I think I may have been trying to kill them all with 9s?

Not sure how this one lived to 250%, either.

Oh well, it's done.

Another fight from near the very beginning.

I am so sick of female Corrin 😒
(Also, why is Isabelle the main fighter when this is an FE character?)

Goodbye.

I'm kind of retracing my path from the beginning, but skipping a few of the hardest fights.

...Am I the only one who finds them more creepy than cute?

I don't know why, but I have always found this expression absolutely hilarious. She started making this face way back in Melee, and I always laugh at it every time I see it.

I got an 8-9 combo for the kill.

Another dojo I missed.

Very easy.

Are they related to the Assist Trophy?

Same strat as before, but this time I fought them a little more first.

I'm starting to see why getting kills with a 9 is really satisfying.

I still wonder if he might be a DLC fighter later on.

At first, I couldn't figure out why this AT was here, but then I realized he throws his head to attack, and I'm guessing Rayman throws his limbs since they're disconnected from his body, so it makes sense?
...Yeah, I'm totally guessing.

And he's down, which opens up a convenient shortcut. Stopping here for now, since we're about a quarter of the way through the rest of the fights.

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 541 (87.96%)
Fighters alive: 70
Fighters lost: 5​

Next time, we grab the last couple characters and take on one of the hardest fights in the game.
Another fighter will fall...
Question of the update: which fighter do you feel most resembles you, in terms of personality?

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Sometimes I apparently do one with no idea of what the hell I did...especially since I know I pushed A instead of B.
Ryu has four command inputs which you can use, and yes, they can be used with the A button as well (This gives Ryu and Ken the unique trait of being the only characters able to use their Neutral Special while they have a Final Smash at the ready- No, Terry can't, as Power Wave doesn't have a command input).

Doing a QCF (Quarter-Circle Forward: Down, Down-Forward, Forward) will do the command for Hadoken.
Doing a QCB (Quarter-Circle Back: Down, Down-Back, Back) does the Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku.
Moving the stick, Forward, Down then Down-Forward is referred to as a Dragon Punch motion, named for the special move it performs, the Shoryuken.
Lastly, Ryu has a special command input, which is done via doing a HCF (Half-Circle Forwards), going from left to right, which performs the Shakunetsu Hadoken.

Ken is much the same, though he lacks the Shakunetsu Hadoken. Instead, he has two inputs that can only be done with the attack button, which are roundhouse kicks. One, the Oosoto Mawashi Geri, is done using the same input as the Shakunetsu Hadoken. The other, Nata Otoshi Geri, is performed by doing a Reverse QCF (Forward, Down-Forward, Down).

Terry's command inputs are similar- In terms of inputs, Burning Knuckle=Hadoken, Crack Shoot=Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku, and Power Dunk=Shoryuken.

As for the question? I really don't know. ESPECIALLY given how Challenger Pack 7 is going to be revealed tomorrow!

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Today we continue the cleanup, but one fighter falls along the way...
@Neosonic97: ...I had no idea you could trigger the special inputs with either A or B...no wonder I was doing them unintentionally.
The weird thing is, I don't think I've done any of them as Terry, it's mainly Ryu/Ken. But that might be because I haven't played Terry much.

Question: I feel like personality-wise, I'm a weird mix of Falco (snarky) and either/both of Luigi/Lucas (shy, not very confident). Coincidentally, Falco's my "main" and Luigi's in my top 5, and Lucas is up fairly high as well.
...Maybe it's not a coincidence :v:

Beating Rayman opened up the cave...

Which makes it easier to get up here and to the Temple of Light.

But we aren't headed there yet, there are still fights in the city.

Like the Eon duo. This seemed like a safe stage to switch to Little Mac.

At least it's not sad like the movie was. (I never actually watched it, but I've seen the sad moment...)

Min Min > Spring Man IMO, but he's still a solid AT.

*punches him in the face*

Which gets us another chest:

A little disappointing, but it was an early-game chest.

Why Inkling, and why three of them? Surprised Ness isn't involved.

This is gonna be messy...

Yep, but we pulled it off.

3 ATs in a row!

The multitude of bombs made this fight fun.

I find this hilarious-why does a yoga move get its own spirit?

Easy enough, which gets us another chest:

Nice! We may end up with enough for the whole Skill Tree after all.

She looks like a sweet girl.

Cruising right along.

This is a hilarious dojo, but why did they pick Luigi to rep Slowpoke? I'm offended 😠

I love Luigi, but I have always found this upset face he makes hilarious ever since he started it in Brawl.

And done. Slowpoke lets a spirit forget a dojo style, which could be handy (and is very appropriate).

Getting her out of the way opens a convenient third path to the Dark Realm.

Goodbye.

Next up is tennis Mario, and I decided Chrom would get his chance after all.

Not too bad, although Pong was a little annoying.
(Am I the only one who adamantly calls it Pong instead of "Color TV-Game 15"?)

Not sure if that is cute or horrifying. A little of both to be honest.

She is fugly as hell.

I think I actually KOed her as she was healing. And that leads to another chest:

Bleh. I like Woolly World, but this track is meh.

This has to be one of the most WTF characters. I mean, you have to crawl on her body (which she seems to enjoy) to collect star pieces, and then she was randomly in MK7...

One of the only times I've ever seen two bee swarms at once.

And done.

Speaking of Woolly World...

This fight can be dangerous since everyone's easy to launch.

But the FS helped.
(Random fun fact: Woolly World has Yoshis patterned after most of the Smash 4 characters if you have their amiibo. In fact, almost every character except the Pokémon and Bayonetta has one, if you include the 3DS port. Here's a list.)

Making a bit of a detour back to the Temple of Light now.

This was one of the hardest fights on my first run.

It's 3-on-1, and these guys are mean.

Although having Yoshi and Duck Hunt repping two of the Musketeers is kind of hilarious.

The FS coming in clutch once again.

And done.

Does anyone know who this character is?

She wasn't hard either. Which gets us yet another chest:

Meh.

On we go.

Very annoying, but not too hard.

Cute.

How embarrassing 😂

...For some reason, the damage meters disappeared? o_o

Never mind, they're back. Not sure what happened there...

Now we head back to the creepy forest:

Again, who is this?

Young Link was next on the "haven't used yet" list. Another pretty simple fight gets us another chest:

Not bad, but I'm just gonna say it: I don't like any of the Ultra Beasts.

Speaking of things I don't like, I HATE Viridi with a passion. Not only is she a total bitch, she's also racist AF against humans.

That's a unique time limit. I think it ties in to the stage though-I think the Reset Bomb gets dropped around that point.

Out of my sight!

Yet another chest behind her:

I'd rather have Dixie in Smash, thanks.

Yveltal > Xerneas.

He starts with damage, which on Lucario is a little worrisome, even though 30% doesn't boost him much.

Not too bad, though. Which gets us another chest:

That's more like it!

So at this point, I ended up wandering a little, trying to clear up as many submaps as possible, and ended up back in the Molten Fortress.

This is easily a top-10 hardest fight. Speaking of:
Pauline, Ho-Oh, The Boss, Geno, Dr. Wily, Shine Sprite, Tabuu, Krystal, Alucard, Giga Mac

It started off okay, but the curry makes it hard to approach.

I think he might have an unmentioned attack or defense boost, because he's hard to launch and packs some serious power. And the fire geysers make things worse...I got knocked offstage, and because of them...

I couldn't recover...

Admittedly, I'm not too broken up about it, since Young Link is one of my least favorite characters. I mean, any loss sucks, but it could have been worse, and this is one of the game's hardest fights, so I'm not too surprised I lost someone here.

Maybe Ken will do better.

So far so good, but he's almost got an FS...

I had to play carefully with his FS in play, but eventually he went down!

That's a really good effect! Maybe Little Mac would actually be viable with it? :v:

And I think that's our last spirit with an overworld effect.

Our next stop is the teleporter maze.

F for this guy, who got replaced by Diddy (who's way better tbh).
Isn't he technically modern Donkey's dad? He's supposed to be arcade DK's son, who's apparently Cranky in the modern games, so...I think that's right? :psyduck:

Not hard.

Any relation to Sable Prince?

Easy, which leads to our tenth or so chest of the update:

Bleh. Did anyone ever play that, was it any good?

You would think Mega Man would make more sense, but looking at him, he does look like he's holding something resembling the Monado, so I guess it works.

He put up a decent fight, but we got another win.

Another questionable rep-why Roy Koopa? Riki's a decent AT, though.

Also not too bad.

Does that text look weird to anyone else?

Next stop, Rathalos's island, for a couple more fighters.

There's one.

Easy enough. I still don't have an opinion on the Miis, but clearly Nintendo likes the Gunner the most, since it gets all the popular costumes (Sans, Cuphead).

I've heard her thrown around as a possible DLC fighter even before Ultimate dropped. Who thinks she might still get in?

Easy enough. And there's another fighter in the Forest Hill.

After this fight.

I think we already did this fight though, or at least already fought each of them individually 😐
*researches BOTW*
...Yeah, we already did! How silly, but at least they kept them consistent-I think they even have the same costumes.

I tried to take them out in order of preference, so Inkling first, then ZSS, then DK, then Falco. Not sure how I'd feel about the actual BOTW characters though.

Then Link, leaving Zelda for last.

Overkill, but I figured I may as well since I had it ready.

*imitates Zelda's down taunt*

Obviously.

Since Ken did well, it was time to give Ryu a turn.

...He attacked me once, then fell in the volcano! I was :rofl: hard.

Easiest unlock ever. Too bad I don't like Toon Link either, but at least it was simple.

Stopping here for now.

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 569 (92.52%)
Fighters alive: 72
Fighters lost: 6​

Next time, we grab the final two characters and the cleanup process moves into the Dark Realm, and something creepy happens.

Question of the update: what character reveal (any game, either main game or DLC) surprised you the most?

Last edited:

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
You would think Mega Man would make more sense, but looking at him, he does look like he's holding something resembling the Monado, so I guess it works.
NetNavis in the Mega Man Battle Network series can actually morph their arms into different weapons, though ProtoMan.EXE in particular uses a sword arm. He can even launch shockwaves with it- and he doesn't actually use an arm cannon for the most part, which is most likely why he's NOT Mega Man- ProtoMan.EXE doesn't have a lot of the abilities that MegaMan.EXE has.

The Mega Man Battle Network series (and its sequel series, the Mega Man Star Force series) takes place in an alternate timeline to the classic Mega Man series. To that end, Battle Network could be considered the equivalent to the Classic series, and Star Force could be considered the equivalent to the X series.

Like the Eon duo. This seemed like a safe stage to switch to Little Mac.
Speaking of the Eon Duo, Latias is my favourite Pokemon species, period (yes, the red one, not the blue one). I've been trying to Shiny Hunt one in Sword and Shield.

Also speaking of Pokemon Spirits that appeared in this update, in Sword and Shield's Crown Tundra DLC, you can actually find all four of the Swords of Justice. Yes, that includes Keldeo, making it the second time a Mythical Pokemon is available without some kind of event (The first being Deoxys in ORAS).

Lastly, it's come to my attention that I've gushed about Touhou a bit but haven't really explained what it's about.

Touhou is a super long-running indie shmup series, specifcally of the Bullet Hell archetype- hell, Touhou provides the page image for Bullet Hell on TV Tropes. (Honestly, I think it's probably the oldest Indie that's still relevant today). The first five games, released for the Japanese-exclusive PC-98 were published by a student video game development club called Amusement Makers, with the first game, Touhou Reiiden ~ Highly Responsive to Prayers being released August 15th, 1997, though it was showcased November 1996 (This means it was released between the original Gen 1 Pokemon Releases, Red and Green, and the updated version, Pokemon Blue, which the international Red and Blue were based off of- Touhou is nearly as old as Pokemon is), and is still running to this day, with the latest game, Touhou Gouyoku Ibun, having recently released its second demo.

Touhou generally works on an episodic story, though a few games have interconnected plots. Generally, a game's story begins with something strange happening in the fantasy land of Gensokyo. Whenever this happens, it's referred to as an incident. Typically speaking, when this happens, the main characters, Shrine Maiden Reimu Hakurei and her best friend, self-proclaimed 'Ordinary Magician' Marisa Kirisame head out to figure out what's going on and, if necessary, put a stop to it (They're often joined by others affected, too [usually at least one of Sakuya Izayoi, Youmu Konpaku, Reisen Udongein Inaba or Sanae Kochiya]). These incidents usually end up being the machinations of at least one youkai or non-human faction.

To give some examples of incidents, they can be something like Gensokyo being covered in scarlet mist by the vampire Remilia Scarlet, Spring coming late due to it being stolen on the orders of the ghost Yuyuko Saigyouji so that she could make a youkai cherry blossom tree called the Saigyou Ayakashi bloom, or the full moon being stolen by lunarian Eirin Yagokoro and replaced with a fake, so as to hide Eientei from lunar emissaries and thus prevent them from coming to take Kaguya Houraisan (who, in Touhou is THE Princess Kaguya from the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter), forcing the protagonists to team up with a youkai partner to stop the night so as to figure out what's going on and get the full moon back.

Those are some of the serious incidents, but they can be fairly benign things too. For instance, when various flowers started blooming out of season, which turned out to be because shinigami Komachi Onozuka was slacking off too much, or reports of a flying boat and rumors of treasure, it turning out to be a group of youkai buddhists seeking to free their trapped leader, Byakuren Hijiri, a buddhist nun turned magician youkai, or even something as petty as idiotic ice fairy Cirno deciding that, because some other fairies blew up her house, she would declare war on the other fairies.

An example of interconnected plot between games would be the infamous 'Moriya Shrine Conspiracy' (which has since become part of a meme affectionally referred to as 'the forbidden template'). In the tenth game, Mountain of Faith, Sanae comes down from the Moriya Shrine atop Youkai Mountain to try to take over the Hakurei Shrine. It doesn't go well and Reimu ends up beating up not only Sanae but her two goddesses, Kanako Yasaka and Suwako Moriya as well. After the Moriya crew become more accustomed to life in Gensokyo, they decide to try to give Gensokyo access to far more energy by way of nuclear reactor, opting to feed the hell crow Utsuho Reiuji the corpse of a Yatagarasu, a mythical crow. This gave Utsuho the power to manipulate nuclear fusion. She went mad with power and was preparing to try to take over the surface of Gensokyo, leading to the events of Subterranean Animism. She was stopped via being beaten up by Marisa (As the print work Symposium of Post-Mysticism reveals, Marisa was the one who canonically went underground). This caused a number of geysers to erupt, one of which ended up unsealing the Palanquin Ship and its crew, leading into the events of Undefined Fantastic Object, mentioned above, meaning the Moriya Shrine's actions ended up being responsible, whether directly or indirectly, for three incidents in a row.

These incidents are typically resolved through Spell Card Duels, a type of formal duel whose rules were put in place by Reimu to minimize bloodshed while also giving pretense to the dynamic of humans and youkai being sworn enemies (without it, youkai would cease to exist due to lack of human fear).

The games themselves are typically divided into six main stages as well as an extra, post-story stage (Perfect Cherry Blossom is the exception here- which has a 'Phantasm' stage, which can only be started upon clearing the Extra stage), though this only applies to the mainline Danmaku games, which are styled like typical arcade shooters. Here's a video of how the mainline Touhou games typically play, going through PCB's Phantasm Stage, featuring boundary youkai Yukari Yakumo as the boss.

Touhou also has six fighting game spinoffs (i've showed you the two gameplay styles already), three 'Danmaku Photography' games (They play like Danmaku games at a baseline, but your goal is to use the camera mechanics to take pictures of the characters and their danmaku to maximize score), and two Danmaku-esque spinoffs: Impossible Spell Card has you utilize cheat items to beat spell cards that are designed to be impossible (they are technically beatable without, though good luck with the extremely precise movements needed to beat Remilia's "Fitful Nightmare" without items.), and Fairy Wars, where you make usage of a unique 'Danmaku freezing mechanic' to freeze incoming danmaku solid and score extra points.

There's also the latest game, Touhou Gouyoku Ibun, which seems to be more of a Contra-styled boss rush more than anything. It's still in development, so I can't really say too much about it reliably, so I'll just link a video to a playthrough of the second demo, featuring a playthrough of the three bosses of Marisa's scenario that are complete.

As for the question? I'd say Joker.

Last edited:

DestinyDragonGS

Plays way too many Fighting games
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
Milo is from the 3Ds puzzle game Pushmo which is actually pretty good. The best way I can describe it is, it's a game where you do what are essentially sliding block puzzles in order to reach the top where some asshole has trapped other kids in the puzzles. The real cool thing in the game is that you can create custom stages and share them

Example:

No character reveal truly surprised me because I have no expectations what so ever. But the one that left me the most hyped was the Joker reveal because that god damn trailer is the coolest one I've ever seen!

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
There is a death, young link is kill
Wait this is good

KirbySSU

Unova Veteran (Though Not In Nuzlockes)
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 10, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Electric, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Likes Kirby, perhaps a bit too much.
Honestly Steve was such an unexpected rep to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)