• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

Screenshot Let's Play General A World of Light Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Hard Mode (Updated 9/30)

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Capable of casually moving faster than the speed of sound. His top speed is unknown, though some theorise it to be faster than light itself.
It's not known what happens to Future Lucina in the ending of Awakening, though for her unpaired ending, she leaves for parts unknown after whispering the words "Yours will be a happy future." to her infant self.

In various endings she's known to be around with her spouse, with only three paired endings leaving her fate unknown: Robin, Morgan and Owain (The last of which is explicitly referred to as 'Companion' and not 'Husband' to prevent an incest subtext given that Owain is the son of Lissa, Chrom's sister, which makes him Lucina's cousin- how'd they miss Azura, then?), though the former two are due to Morgan and Robin having generic ending lines. In her paired ending with Owain and her unpaired ending, it uses the words "Did she/they journey to another land or back to her/their own time? None know for certain."

One thing's for sure though, she didn't just up and vanish.

As for who I would boot from Smash? It's actually a very tough choice. If I were to say one, though... it'd mostly be the two who I have the worst time playing against (as in, playing against them ain't fun) due to one particularly obnoxious move. So I'm gonna say either Ness or Lucas.

Last edited:

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
RE: Mewtwo. He was definitely planned (as evidenced in the "forbidden 7 data") but was likely cut due to time constraints. And probably because for some reason in brawl, the max number of reps each series has is 4 (mario, pokemon, zelda). Jigglypuff stayed cause she was part of the OG 12. Sakurai would never get rid of them. Unfortunately, cuts had to be made. Granted this is all conjecture. I have no actual proof on this. Obviously he was DLC in 4 so Sakurai never forgot about Mewtwo.

Eliminate a character? I'd rather kill my first born child! But gun to my head I'd pick Dark Pit. He could have easily been a Pit costume a la Alph.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Today we face our next boss and head down the path to the next area.
@Bowser's Family Vacation: Aww, I thought it was a good ambiguous title, since the toughest spirits are also called legends ;)
Oh, that's a cool idea. Especially looking at all the Smash fan works (FFN's Smash section's got almost 13,000 stories, and I don't know what other fanfic sites might have...)
Yeah, it's a tough one. Also that is an adorable Dedede GIF ❤
Poor sweet Luigi...although given what happened later in Subspace, it might have been for the best?
Tabuu ruined those runs tbh (spoiler alert: they both lost at the final boss). I really think if not for that fight, one or both might have succeeded...but at least it means maybe I'll be the first? If Dracula doesn't ruin it all :ohdear: ...also, as much as I enjoy Bayonetta, she really did ruin Smash 4...
The funniest part is, I'm not even that good with Jigglypuff-I use her the least out of all the Pokémon. That's why I threw her in as a sacrifice...and then she utterly wrecked him ._.
The sad part is, I want to like Corrin because they're one of the most unique FE characters. But they seem like the most hated of the bunch (even Byleth seems to be more popular now). I'm curious-what's so bad about Fates?

@Neosonic97: Oh, she (sorta) meets her young self? That's interesting.
And I'm glad she gets a happy ending after everything she went through. Eww at the potential incest though...
Yeah Ness/Lucas are annoying AF-if I hear "PK Fire/Thunder/Freeze/Flash" one more time I will seriously use PK Shut Up.

@hobohunter: That makes a lot of sense, but I wish they would have stretched that 4-per-universe limit to keep him (if it was a hard limit). And I know the original 12 are generally safe, but...really I feel like a couple of them could go (Ness/Jigglypuff/maybe Captain Falcon since F-Zero is dead?)
I agree, I don't want to cut anyone (which is why the rumors about Smash 6-if it becomes a thing-worry me), but yeah Dark Pit could've been an Alph/Koopaling costume instead...
Question: honestly, that's tough because I like 80% of the cast and the ones I don't really like are still pretty deserving...before the DLC started coming out, I'd have said either Young or Toon Link because I don't think we need both, but now...get stupid ass Piranha Plant out of the game. Literally why is it a fighter, and why waste a slot on that over an actual character (I think I'd even accept Waluigi over it, and I've established how much I hate him.)
Today's update actually begins with a boss fight.

Well, that silhouette doesn't look very threatening, so maybe this will be easy?

Creepy environment, but where's the boss?

😱
Oh, that little guy's not scary at all!

...Oh. Well, he's still not super scary compared to Giga Bowser or Rathalos. I think he might be batshit insane, though...

Music: Marx

Marx has a lot of interesting attacks, and many of them are hard to avoid.

These vines/thorns aren't too bad, though.
(I mainly went Pikachu for the same-series spirit boost. Also seemed fitting to fight a "cute" boss with a cute Pokémon.)

...That is a big ass laser! But a good jumper can avoid it.

He also likes to fly at you from underground. But if you keep moving, you'll dodge him.

These are more annoying than threatening. So far, things are going pretty smoothly...

Oh crap. This is without a doubt his strongest attack-and also where he flies into horror territory. I mean, he split in half and made a freaking black hole!
(Weirdly, it makes a sound effect similar to the "click" sound in all the Switch commercials.)
Do not stop running if he does this-it's the only way to avoid it, and it can kill very early.

And now he throws these things from his eyes...yeah, this guy is fucking insane. They home in on you, but aren't incredibly damaging.

And now he has eye lasers? I'm getting really uncomfortable-I don't like weird eye stuff/injuries...
(I missed the screencap, but he also has an attack where he spreads red vines and they do fire damage.)
The good news is, he's almost down...

A couple of hits and a Thunder later, and he's down!
...I actually didn't expect Thunder to kill, especially when he was that high in the air. Somehow the ground hit still caught him.

And after an epic defeat sequence where he SCREECHES LOUDLY and bounces all over the stage, he just flops on the ground and (presumably) dies anticlimactically.
As cool as this fight is, he's honestly pretty easy-I think I beat him first try on my first playthrough. Still a neat fight, though.

Four bosses down, two to go! (And then Dharkon and everything in the last section...)

Marx is one of two bosses with an enhanceable spirit. The other is a certain vampire I really don't want to fight...

And the usual smorgasbord of prizes.

One area clear. Unlike Galeem, Dharkon doesn't appear again until you defeat all three bosses, so there's not a satisfying visual.

For some reason, you have to go back to the entrance on foot. But once you get back to the Dark Realm map, you can use the teleporter to get back to the center.

Back at the middle, and somehow Pikachu turned into Wolf :psyduck:

So, remember when I said World of Light was long?

Yeah. 13 hours in and we're only about 60% of the way through. Meanwhile Subspace usually takes me around 8-9 hours to 100% (2-3 of which are spent in The Great Maze, which for some reason I insist on playing all at once).
But it's improvement-my first 100% run of WoL took me about 32 hours. I am definitely not a speedrunner...
(I only noticed that when I sat down to play farther, and thought it was amusing that I was exactly 13 hours in.)

Anyway, now it's time to head down the left path...

It doesn't really look like a "chaos" to be honest...also, thank goodness the Inkling is metal so I don't have to hear an annoying ass voice.
(Not sure why they didn't use Perfect Chaos...)

Easy.

There's Crazy Hand #2.

A ruined city and what looks like the red weed from War of the Worlds...that is creepy as hell, but in a way, I like it.

I swear it looks like he's flipping you off until you look closely. Also, why did they feel like Lucario needed a pink alt? Purple or his shiny would have been way better (honestly, I think all the Pokémon should have their shiny as an alt.)

Also easy.

Here we go again.

I don't have a lot to say here since we've already done this fight once...

I think this one put up a little more of a fight than the first one did?

Not much more, though.

And done. I killed this one with a shot too, but with an actual laser instead of a peanut.

The rewards are still nice.

Two Crazy Hands down. Still one more to fight here though, and another two in the last section 😔

The upper path takes us to the next area, but there's a fighter on the lower one I want to grab...

...Oh. Never mind then-even though it's only a 3-star, I honestly think this is a harder fight than some of the 4-stars. And there's a 4-star after that I'd probably put in my top 10 hardest...yeah, I'm skipping that fighter (for now).

Oh great, double the annoying voices.

They put up a decent fight, but not too hard.

Suddenly volcanoes! This map is almost as complex as the Light Realm, but way easier to navigate.

I miss dropping a Landmaster for a Final Smash...although their Ultimate FS is pretty cool as well. Love the secret lines if Fox/Wolf hit each other or Falco hits two enemies instead of one (or Wolf hits him), and the space background is beautiful.

Another one down.

What is a "Volnutt"? Also, who the hell thought putting a timed battle on regular Great Cave Offensive and decreasing your jump ability was a good idea?

I honestly don't know why the heck I picked Ike for this...I guess I was trying to knock him off the "haven't used" list? That was probably a bad decision...

Well, one's down and a second's getting close to OHKO by Danger Zone.

Never mind, it all worked out.

I think Kraid is one of the only Master spirits you have to fight.

...He has double my HP? This is bad-I did not expect him to be that beefy.

Luckily he's slow and Ike's sword cut through his health pretty quickly, but it wasn't enough to keep him from getting his FS.

Daily appreciation of the Blast-O-Matic.

The flip side is, I also got my FS, with a lot more health than he had.

And done. I want to grab some screenshots of Kraid's dojo later-it's kind of funny.

I honestly thought this was a girl at first. Games need more female villains IMO.

One down.

The second was tougher (and big), but she went down too.

And here's the portal to the next area.

Which takes us to the Sacred Land. We'll check it out next time.

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 370
Fighters alive: 47
Fighters lost: 3​

Next time, we begin to explore the Sacred Land.
Question of the update: do you think competitive/pro Smash is good or bad for the series?

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
oof. Gonna have to hard disagree with you on Piranha Plant. That was the best WTF reveal I've seen in a long time. And he's super fun to play as.

I think Competitive Smash is good for the series. However I think certain people take it way too seriously and get too into it. Ultimately the goal of the game is to have fun. When it gets to a point where certain losers throw their controllers or assault the people that beat them (and yes those have happened), then that's gone too far.

SweatingCalendar

Alligator lizards in the air, in the aaaaaiiiiiirr
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 24, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Pokédex Entry
Pokémon[a] is a series of video games developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company as part of the Pokémon media franchise

I swear it looks like he's flipping you off until you look closely. Also, why did they feel like Lucario needed a pink alt? Purple or his shiny would have been way better (honestly, I think all the Pokémon should have their shiny as an alt.)
Now Im imagining a spirit fight called "fuck you" where you get a spirit of Master Hand flipping you off and its just a gauntlet of 50 master and crazy hands xD (Also preach about shiny pokemon alts)

My opinion on the competitive scene is in general, I think the competitive scene is ultimately good as it helps sustain interest in the franchise. In terms of the playerbase Im not that into the competitive community so I cant really say too much but Id assume most of the people are chill with a small group of toxic individuals.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
My reaction to Skarmizard's reactions to Marx:

Seriously, most everything in the Smash boss fight is pulled from Kirby Super Star/Kirby Super Star Ultra. Although in the context of the Kirby series, Marx is pretty tame. Because Kirby is, like, canonically a demon hunter. ._.

Actually, Chaos as Inkling makes sense, at least to me.
Sonic and Inkling have the same snarky energy. Also, kinda annoying voices.

:0 Crazy Hand is allergic to lasers too!? Poor Crazy Hand. And poor players, needing to have, like, the same boss fight four times.

I think Kraid is one of the only Master spirits you have to fight.

...He has double my HP? This is bad-I did not expect him to be that beefy.
Whoa, Kraid is one beefy spirit!

Question of the update: do you think competitive/pro Smash is good or bad for the series?
As with most fandoms, I think competitive Smash's few, loud, toxic individuals eclipses the majority of competitive Smashers, who quietly are decent people -and decency should never have to be loud. I don't think Smash's toxic individuals hurt, say, the sales of the series, but I think they contribute to the vilification of the gaming community by the general public. They're hardly the only factor in that, of course, but I think they play a part. :(

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Capable of casually moving faster than the speed of sound. His top speed is unknown, though some theorise it to be faster than light itself.
Everything I wanted to say about Marx was already said by BFV, save for perhaps the fact that he was most recently playable in Kirby Star Allies. To put Marx' backstory into perspective, in the events of Milky Way Wishes (The fifth and final sub-game of the original Kirby Super Star), he manipulates the Sun and Moon into fighting, then has the super tough pink puff go and gather stars from each of the planets in the solar system to summon the Galactic Comet NOVA to 'get them to stop'. This turns out to be a ruse, as once Kirby is about to wish for the Sun and Moon to stop fighting, Marx butts in, smacks Kirby out of the way and wishes to take control of Pop Star.

It's not the only time a seemingly-friendly and non-threatening being has betrayed Kirby either; in Kirby's Return to Dream Land (or Kirby's Adventure Wii, for europeans like myself), Magolor did something similar, taking advantage of Kirby's kindness to get control of a powerful artifact and then try to take over Pop Star.

Marx also started the trend of Kirby Final Bosses LOVING to teleport all over the screen.

As for the question? It's a double-edged sword- basically between expanding the game's community as the positive and the toxic people that come with it as the negative.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Today we begin to explore the Sacred Land.

@hobohunter: That's fine, I just don't see the appeal myself. It was a hilarious WTF pick, though.
Agree on both sides-it's crazy to me that people get so angry over a video game that they commit physical violence.

@SweatingCalendar: That sounds like something you'd see in a creepypasta or a troll hack-would be hilarious though 😂
I think you're spot on-I'm not into the scene either, but from what I've seen online, overall most people are pretty cool, but the toxic people give it a bad name.

@Bowser's Family Vacation: What I can't figure out is how Kirby doesn't even seem fazed by some of the stuff he sees...I mean, he's fought like six demon monsters, and then in this game sees all his friends get wiped out in seconds...I would be beyond traumatized.
Now that you mention it, I could see it working. Sonic's voice isn't that annoying, though... *remembers Brawl Sonic's YOU'RE TOO SLOW*
...Actually he can be kind of annoying...
Poor Crazy Hand is just allergic to everything 😔
And yes, there are way too many Crazy Hands.
Luckily Kraid's not as beefy as Snorlax was, especially since that fight was timed also...
Definitely agree-it's always the bad apples that spoil the bunch. I feel like >90% of the Smash community is chill/good people and it's just the toxic ones who make it in general look bad.

@Neosonic97: Poor Kirby, I feel like he trusts/gets manipulated way too easily. Although since he's seemingly a child, I guess I can't fault him too much.
Also, wow Marx is a dick. He could have easily ruined the world because he's a greedy ass...
That's pretty much how I feel-it has both good and bad aspects.
Question: while I'm not into competitive myself, I can definitely see its merits, such as expanding Smash to a wider audience and giving skilled players a chance to show off (and watching compilations of some of the crazy/hilarious shit people have pulled off online/in tournaments is one of my favorite things). But overly salty people (who throw controllers/scream at their opponents/threaten to get physical (or actually get violent)) make the community in general look bad, even if they are a small minority.
So overall, I do think it can be good for the series, but some people take it way too seriously.

So what does the Sacred Land have in store for us?

Well, right off the bat part of the map is obscured. And it's not like the main maps where the clouds/fog clear as you move-it won't be cleared until about 2/3rds of the way through.

Eww. What even is that?

Oh great, Ghirahim too...the good news is, the K. Rool doesn't move or attack. So if you KO Ghirahim/wait until he leaves, it's easy.

So I figured I'd be a little fancy and kill him with a full-power Eruption.

The area's first gimmick are these owl statues, which give you cryptic hints to get around the area/solve puzzles.

...I guess that's a hint to trust the statues. Kind of wish there was one somewhere that lies and you have to figure out which one is telling the truth.

Another unavoidable 4-star...the boss is right after it, but you have to explore the whole area before you can fight them. Not doing this fight until then.

Our second statue gives a clue about opening the top part of the map. So clearly we need the Master Sword...

So it's like fighting Hero?

He was easy, though. K. Rool is fun to use-he has so many unique options.

This is one of two areas where the music changes depending on where you are.

Music: Saria's Song/Middle Boss Battle

I've never gotten into the Zelda series, so this was really unhelpful my first time playing. It makes a little more sense now (it's leading you to Young Link), but...

Two Isabelles? 😱

Oh, that's cute-one's tiny because they're (presumably) mother-daughter. Why is there fog, though?

I actually won with a down-air spike. For some reason, a lot of fights in this area ended in way more stylish ways than I usually play.

You actually have to check the statue for this to work.

The sparkle shows you you're going the right way. But it's only activated after you check the statue.

Oh look, everyone's favorite villain! I mean, I like him too, mainly because Luigi acting suave and badass was such a 180 from his normal personality, but I think he's a little too beloved...
That said, I wouldn't mind seeing him return sometime.

He was about as hard as he is in SPM.

Why the heck does he give you a water weakness? He wasn't weak to water in SPM!
(I assume it's because of the paper aspect, which would make sense, but...)

Anyway, that makes another statue appear here, which is where the invisible path takes you.

It's hard to see, but the path is under these trees.

Again, this only works after you read the statue, otherwise you get stuck at the pond. There's also a chest nearby...

No thanks.

I don't know why, but I never really liked Tiny as much as the other Kongs-maybe because Dixie was already a thing.

This fight's actually really annoying-Diddy's so small it's hard to hit him, and he likes to run away.

It actually came down to the last couple seconds...

I think I was literally less than a second from losing. Luckily it all worked out, or I'd be down a crocodile :ohdear:

Moving on. Feels like it's been a while since we fought a Robot Master.

Luigi cleaned them up easily.

A chest on the other side of the pond...

Much better!

Again, the sparkles don't show up if you don't read the statue. So now we can jump in the pond...

Which takes us over here.

This is who the "girl waiting for her friend" statue was talking about. I don't know who she is, though...

It could have been bad if she got her FS, but a lucky up-B took her out.

Even with that, perfect shielding is still impossible for me 😔

Anyway, beating her clears up a tree blocking this path, which leads to a fighter.

This chest is unique-not only did it have a prize, you can actually climb in it, which takes you to...

...Oh. I'll pass-Chrom's my least favorite of the FE cast.

This is one of the most helpful spirits in WoL, but it's a tough fight.

But I figured I'd give it a shot, and since Jigglypuff utterly wrecked Tabuu, I thought I'd try her again.

And it worked!

Normal autoheal is 3% about every five seconds. Great autoheal is almost twice that-5% every five seconds. This could be a lifesaver against bosses (especially the final boss.)

Ugh, the most obnoxious Assist Trophy...

Decided to risk a character I don't like as much just to be safe.

Luckily he didn't reverse controls-that was what I was worried about.

Once he was gone, it was easy. So now we can get a fighter...

Ugh, I don't want him, but we have to grab him to progress.

Not too hard. I think I said this already, but Young Link is one of my 5 least favorite characters-I don't think we need him and Toon Link, and normal Link on top of them. I'd be okay with dropping both and just having normal Link.

Anyway, unlocking him gives the first piece of the Triforce.

I would have figured this guy would've been way earlier, since they're so common in Pikmin.

Easy.

I was really confused that it was enhanceable at first, but when I enhanced it, it made sense (it becomes Empress Bulblax.)

...That is a lot of Charizards.

It starts off with one...

But when you take him out, three more show up.

And then a fourth pops up right after.

This would probably be a dream for some people. I wouldn't mind it myself...

Again, a KOs heal damage spirit comes in really handy here. That leads us to another statue:

...Okay? That's not very helpful.

There's the Master Sword, along with possibly the two closest fighters in all of WoL (aside from whichever two of Marth/Sheik/Villager you didn't grab at the beginning). But I'm gonna wait to grab them until I get rid of the rocks so I can do it all at once.

Is he holding a freaking tea set???

I decided to have fun and win as many fights as possible with Luigi's up-B. This makes two, and leads to another statue:

This will make sense in a little bit. Also, different area means different music:

Music: Dark World (3DS/Wii U)

Moving on...

That's three.

This is essentially a big clock, like the arena in Catching Fire. Difference is it's not full of ways to kill you.

There's a hint for the second Triforce piece, but outside of trying random times there's no way to get it yet.
(I guess you could keep trying random times, since there's only 144 possibilities and it doesn't take that long...)

There is a statue that tells you the answer, but we have to clear more fights to get to it.

That's four! Luigi's on a roll.

...I guess that could be useful if you're gutsy enough to fight Calamity Ganon right off the bat?

Who the heck are they?

Couldn't get a fifth up-B kill, but it was still easy.

Again, who are they? I remember them having a trophy in Melee, but Melee had a lot of trophies of random characters no one outside Japan had ever heard of.

So many animals!

I'm not sure whether an up-B won this fight or not.

There's our clue to the clock. I don't know if 12:10 is a significant time in the Zelda series, and If not, I wonder why they chose then specifically?

Anyway, that makes a spirit appear in the middle.

Makes sense.

I think I did win this with up-B, but not 100% sure.

Beating her clears the way to another fighter. But there's a chest nearby I want to grab first.

This fight was an absolute mess.

One, I got double teamed, and two, once Simon hits 50% you start getting hit for 30% at random.

And with it being on normal Temple, everyone survived to ridiculous numbers.

But eventually I got my FS. Even though I hate ZSS's FS when I'm fighting her, I'll happily take it now.

And thanks to Double Final Smash, we got the win. But I'm pretty sure that's the highest damage anyone's taken...

Worth it.

One more battle before the character...

Not bad.

Also pretty obvious.

Even though I'm not into the Zelda series, I've always liked Zelda herself. I love her Ultimate redesign-it's nice to see her get to be happy for once, after she was so serious in Brawl/4. And I'm glad she's finally halfway decent.

Freeing her gives us the second Triforce piece, and clears the path to the Master Sword. We'll grab it next time.

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 391
Fighters alive: 49

Next time, we get several fighters in quick succession and reach the next boss's doorstep.
Question of the update: do you prefer fighting computers or other players (either online or IRL), or both evenly?

Last edited:

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
yo Imma be honest. I'm pretty drunk reading this update. So while I don't remember enough of your actual update to respond to that this time, I'll at least respond to your question.

I prefer fighting players. They're much more fun to play against. Obviously the best way is players in person at the comfort of my own home. But I know plenty of online only people and I'm more than willing to fight with them as well. Either way, fuck CPUs. real people are where it's at.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
The Imprisoned is not only gross-looking, but you fight it four times over the course of Skyward Sword. Four! With minimal changes each time! But every time, it gets longer...

Snarky bastard. (For some reason, this was the first GIF I found of the thing. I feel like that fact expresses the sentiment towards it... in some fashion. ._.)

Wow, they really do speak the truth! :0

Oh look, everyone's favorite villain! I mean, I like him too, mainly because Luigi acting suave and badass was such a 180 from his normal personality, but I think he's a little too beloved...
That said, I wouldn't mind seeing him return sometime.
All praise for Mr. L is valid when you consider his awesome music too. D:< I seriously do consider Super Paper Mario one of the most underrated OSTs ever. I don't understand why the third game in the series opted for such a drastic genre shift, but at least for this last time, the music was bangin'.

The reason you may not like Tiny Kong is how she transformed from being the baby of the group to suddenly being designed to supposed to look attractive?

Or maybe this is my intense uncomfortableness with nail polish on animals speaking... >_>

Why is Chrom in a chest, though? He's not, like, unlockable or a secret character in his game. I like the idea of using the chests to hide things, but I don't like that it's Chrom. (Especially since he's an Echo Fighter. That's not a special reward.)

Normal autoheal is 3% about every five seconds. Great autoheal is almost twice that-5% every five seconds. This could be a lifesaver against bosses (especially the final boss.)
Wow! I hope Celebi will come in clutch! (If Jigglypuff and Celebi join forces, who can stop them..?)

Why, yes, Jakob is holding a tea set! And a knife!

Jakob shouldn't have a knife either, considering he's an unrepentant Corrin-obsessive. (Like most of the cast of Fates. ._.)

Who the heck are they?
Obviously, they're the protagonists of Magical Vacation! Out of morbid curiosity, I looked up Magical Vacation. It's a mostly Japanese (mostly because the sequel did come to the West) RPG. It reviewed well, it seems, but didn't sell well.

Question of the update: do you prefer fighting computers or other players (either online or IRL), or both evenly?
I suck, so I don't play Smash often, but when I do, I prefer fighting with my IRL friends, who are understanding of my suckiness.

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
...Oh. I'll pass-Chrom's my least favorite of the FE cast.
I suppose he'll get his chance another day.

Is he holding a freaking tea set???
But of course, he IS a Butler, after all (no, seriously, his ACTUAL in-game class is Butler). As an aside, his availability in Fire Emblem Fates is actually dependant on a choice you make: Corrin's gender.

If Corrin is female, Jakob will join you permanently at the end of Chapter 6 (which is when you decide which route you want to play: Birthright, Conquest or Revelations), regardless of which route you take. If Corrin is male, he won't join you until Chapter 16 (Male Corrin gets Felicia instead [Who is a Maid], and as you might have guessed, F!Corrin gets Felicia at Chapter 16).

...That is a lot of Charizards.
Yeah, this is referencing how Landia's fight worked in said game- one of its abilities was to split into four.

As for Wood Man, he's one of the two Robot Masters that is the subject of a rather memetic song in the Mega Man fandom:

To explain the song...

The song is referring to the struggles of somebody playing Mega Man 2. They can't get past the disappearing blocks in Heat Man's stage, so they decide to take on Air Man to get Item #2. Unfortunately, Air Man proves too much for them, as they can't avoid the tornado, so they go for the Leaf Shield from Wood Man, as it's Air Man's weakness. Problem being, they can't beat Wood Man either, as they can't avoid his falling leaves or jump. And since they can't get past the disappearing blocks in Heat Man's stage to get the Atomic Fire (Wood Man's weakness), they're stuck.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Today we clear out the rest of the Sacred Land.
@hobohunter: I respect the honesty :v:
I can definitely see that being fun-bring some snacks and stuff, and turn it into a big party. I'm a little jealous tbh...
...Huh, we're actually going to disagree on something for once.

@Bowser's Family Vacation: So it's like fighting Crazy Hand 68923 times here? :v:
Also, noooo don't remind me of the Caramelldansen clips 🤣 😭
Is that Yes/Yes actually a thing? If it is, that's amazing.
Definitely agree on Mr. L/SPM in general having bangin' OSTs. Between that and the story, it deserves more praise (which it seems to be getting after the Sticker Star debacle).
Ew, yeah, that design is a big no for me. That coupled with Dixie existing made me never really care for Tiny much (she was fine in DK64, but after that...)
Yeah, I probably would have hid a newcomer/someone like Sonic in that chest rather than an Echo Fighter of all things.
Celebi will be a big help. Still flabbergasted at Jigglypuff wrecking these legends, though.
Why does the Fates cast obsess over Corrin? He's boring! (and I say that not minding him in Smash that much since he's at least unique...)
Huh, that actually sounds interesting. Wonder if they'll ever bring it over.
Aw, don't say that :c
But at least your friends are cool about it.

@Neosonic97: ...I totally forgot about that until you said it, and now I wish I had made the joke 😭
Oh, I was right? Wow...but are butlers/maids even useful? Also, what's the difference in the routes?
Oh, he splits in four? I thought it was because he has four heads :sweatdrop:
That was hilarious! I saw something similar about Whitney's Miltank.
But wow, that sucks for the player.
Question: well, since I've never had an opportunity to play anyone IRL (massive introvert) and online is just not fun (more on that in a bit), I have to go with fighting computers.
So I recently tried playing online since I figured it might be a good distraction with everything going on...and I can honestly say it was one of the least fun experiences I've had with Smash in the 20 years it's been around.
I figured since it was the first time I'd ever gone online, I'd be getting matched with other new/inexperienced players with low GSPs.
Nope-it started me off at 3.4 million for some asinine reason. Needless to say, I got bodied in nearly every match (I managed a few wins in 2-on-2s, but it felt like my teammates were a lot more useful than I was). There were a few fun moments, and I did randomly win a couple 1-on-1s (one thanks to a lucky FS and the other mainly because the other person failed their recovery twice), but overall it just wasn't a pleasant experience. And of course, the intermittent lag sucked.
I'll probably give it another try sometime, but...it just wasn't a fun experience because I felt horribly outmatched and it didn't seem fair. I have a lot more fun fighting computers.
Also, fuck Ness and PK Fire.
So...yeah.

Before we grab the Master Sword and some fighters, there's one more thing I wanted to point out in the clock area.

Another statue appeared in the middle when I was fiddling with the clock. I don't know if 3:25 specifically triggers it or if just randomly trying times does, but:

...I guess this is a hint if you're having trouble figuring out this section? Makes me think it shows up if you just fiddle with the clock randomly.
There's also another fighter you can get, but it's a Mii, so I'm not too worried. Especially since the hint is in an area I don't think we'll be going to.
(Set the clock to 4:40.)

Anyway, let's grab some characters. First up:

Yeah, I don't know why Sonic's here either.

His eyes look weird with the "puppet" effect. They probably made the right call putting him here than in the Light Realm, otherwise he'd look an awful lot like Sonic.exe...

He wasn't too hard, though. I'm not a huge Sonic fan, but he's all right. I'm glad Nintendo started allowing him and other third-party characters in Brawl, although I'm a little annoyed that he gets the big hero moment in Subspace...
(Aside: I started replaying Subspace the other day. It still holds up pretty well.)

Zelda has an evil twin? 😲

Nightmare is literally the worst "Assist" Trophy. Not sure what he has to do with this fight...

Luckily he went away pretty quickly, and it was easy. That leads to the next fighter, but since we have two Links and the third is back in the Light Realm, who is this?

...I don't get it. Is it because he has a big sword too?
Also, this is the first time you fight Cloud in WoL, and the only time outside of the final battle-he doesn't appear in any spirit battles. In fact, he's the only Final Fantasy character with a spirit.

Since his recovery sucks, he was easy. I don't really use Cloud much, but it's still neat that he got in. He also has the best resting bitch face of any of the cast.

Now we can grab the Master Sword.

Which suddenly flies away to the top of the area...

And clears the darkness, allowing us to proceed! It also reveals the area's Easter egg-it's a giant Triforce.

Heading that way now.

Another easy pseudolegendary fight.

One, who are they, and two, what the heck is that game name? :psyduck:
Also, a rare instance of a fight buffing you as well as the enemy.

😱
I paused, saw this and realized I had to put it in.

Easy. Also, the music changed again, since we're in another section:

Music: Hyrule Castle (Outside)

So we can go one of two different ways.

One path has less fights, but they're harder (and has another fighter), while the other has more, but easier fights.
(Spoiler: I'm taking the more but easier route. You'll see why in a bit.)

Missed the intro screen, but this is Mega Mewtwo Y, who gets Final Smashes at random.

Luckily he never hit me with one. That leads to a chest...

Nice.

And this is why I'm not going up this path-this is another of the hardest fights in all of WoL. As much as I'd like to grab the fighter (Bowser Jr.), it's not gonna happen right now.

For some reason, I always think this is a Zelda character.

Hehe, I stole the Gust Bellows and used it against him~

Moving on.

Not hard thanks to a solid up-air.

Hey, the very first spirit I got at the beginning of the run!

He wasn't too tough.

Why is the floor electric? Does she have electric powers?

Ridiculously easy.

Cute, but if they don't stop putting timed battles on normal GCO, I'm gonna lose my mind.

And that is not a very lenient time limit!

Luckily they all went down quickly.

This sounds even more like fighting Hero than the one from earlier.

Not that he was any harder. And that leads to another statue:

That's actually helpful if you didn't notice you could climb in that chest earlier. I still don't want to grab Chrom, though.

Instead, we're fighting a T-Rex!

A little tougher, but not too bad.

Hmm, three fights or two?

...Three it is. Dark Emperor's another top 10 hardest, or close to it.

Is it a cross between a dragon and an angel?

Luckily he didn't get the FS off, even though I had the health to survive it.

She looks so sad :(

A rare instance of a fight starting you off with the advantage.

Easy. For some reason a whole bunch of steaks appeared, but no other food.

Last fight before another character. I have so many questions-why Ridley, why an Ore Club, why heavy wind?

Also easy. Well, we've grabbed Link and Zelda, so obviously this should be Ganondorf...

Yep.

Not hard. I've never used Ganondorf, but Ultimate is probably my favorite version of him, largely because of the Doriyah jokes. Still not sure why he was originally a Captain Falcon clone in Melee...

With him freed, we get the last Triforce piece...and our next boss appears, along with a giant castle. For some reason, this vaguely reminds me of N's Castle appearing in Black/White.

But before we can do that, we have to fight Calamity Ganon...who is equally as powerful as Tabuu was.

And I didn't have a strong enough blue spirit, so I had to cram Trevor here full of snacks. And I went Simon for the series boost, even though I don't play him much.

I'm not sure if the sudden damage or having to keep both Zelda and yourself alive is the harder part of this fight. It's probably keeping Zelda alive since he likes to go after her.

...I'm not sure what happened, but I'll take it.

That is an insane starting power!

And that puts us at the boss. We'll take them on next time.

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 409
Fighters alive: 52

Next time, we take on the next boss and head to the final area of the Dark Realm.
Question of the update: Smash has a robust fan work community, from art/fanfics/videos to music remixes to entire game mods. Have you ever created any yourself, and/or are there any in particular you enjoy?

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Wow...but are butlers/maids even useful? Also, what's the difference in the routes?
They're a promoted class from the Troubadour, that uses Daggers and Staves. They're a healer/debuffer in one, though their offensive power is quite low.

Despite starting in a promoted class, your starting retainer's internal level is coded so that they level up like an unpromoted level 1 unit (Felicia/Jakob). They aren't actually the Jagen of the game (That role is reserved for Gunter, in the two routes he's available in). They'd actually be an Oifey.

To explain the terminology I just used, a Jagen in a Fire Emblem game is an earlygame pre-promote with high bases but comparatively terrible growths, often being seen as a crutch character for the earlygame, only to fall off later. This archetype of character is named for Jagen in the original Fire Emblem game. There would later be a sub-archetype of Jagen called Oifeys, named after the character from Genealogy of the Holy War, who are almost identical to Jagens, with one key difference: their growths don't suck, which can allow them to stick around throughout the game. An example of a Pure Jagen aside from the two already named would be Marcus in Binding Blade. He's an Oifey in Blazing Blade, the game's chronological prequel. Other Oifey examples include Seth in Sacred Stones (who is infamous for being able to solo the game- and is widely considered one of the strongest units in the series) and Frederick in Awakening (Who has perhaps one of the best critical quotes in the entire series. "Pick a god and pray!")

Also, the route differences in FE:Fates are very large, most notably the fact that all chapters in the game past the 6th are completely different, as is the story. You get different units in each route, and in particular, while Birthright and Revelations allow grinding through Skirmish maps, Conquest does not. The scenario that leads up to it is as follows: Corrin's biological mother, Mikoto, was killed in the prior chapter by a trap set up by the King of Nohr- their adoptive father, Garon. At the end of Chapter 6, Corrin has to decide whether they will side with Hoshido or Nohr, or choose not to pick a side. Choosing Hoshido would also mean Corrin would have to turn against their adoptive siblings, whom have only ever treated them kindly- it's the main reason the choice wasn't clear-cut choosing Hoshido for them.

Siding with Hoshido leads to the Birthright Route, with Corrin fighting to stop the Nohrian invasion of Hoshido and bring Garon down.

Siding with Nohr leads to the Conquest route, with Corrin joining the Nohrian invasion, hoping to convince their siblings by using a special throne in Hoshido that reveals the truths of whoever sits on it to expose Garon's madness- while trying to subvert Garon's increasingly ruthless orders along the way.

Choosing neither side has Corrin being unable to choose between his birth and adoptive families, and instead they resolve to find a way to stop the war without hurting either. In doing so, they end up discovering the truth of everything that's going on.

Gameplay-wise, Birthright is similar to Awakening, with straightforward maps where the only goal is to defeat all the enemies.

Conquest is closer to more classic FE games like Blazing Blade in that it often features more difficult maps with tougher objectives, like protecting chokepoints against waves of enemies.

Revelations has a lot of gimmicky maps with things like teleporters, moving platforms and stealth sections.

Last edited:

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry

His eyes look weird with the "puppet" effect. They probably made the right call putting him here than in the Light Realm, otherwise he'd look an awful lot like Sonic.exe...
Implying the Smash community wouldn't love to see Sonic.exe be "represented." 😤 (I'd love to see that, anyway. XD)

Zelda has an evil twin? 😲
"Hilda, Hilda, Hilda!" (Can't seem to find a video with the victory quote, but that chant is very good. Hilda is a busted unit.)

Considering how much trouble Square Enix apparently gave in negotiations, I'm sure part of the deal with using its characters as little as possible. For some reason. ._. Seriously, if your character is in Smash, you should milk that for all it's worth! That's a lot of great advertising!

For some reason, I always think this is a Zelda character.
Now that you mention it, Tethu does look like Impa... >_>

Last fight before another character. I have so many questions-why Ridley, why an Ore Club, why heavy wind?
I can't answer the first two questions, but I do know that Vaati is a wind spirit. :)

Mr Spaz

I caught the big– OH SHIT
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
"Your Majesty" is gender neutral. (he/him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying, Ghost

TVTropes's Mythology Gag page for Spirit Battles in Smash Ultimate said:
Vaati is a Ridley with an Ore Club with constant wind going on. The Ore Club making its wind gusts and the strong wind reference how Vaati is a Wind Mage, and Ridley is the best person to reference how he is an Eldritch Abomination.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Today we take on another boss and head to the last area in the Dark Realm.

@Neosonic97: So Jagens are like the early-route Pokémon that fall off in the midgame, and Oifeys are like ones that stay good all game? Also that is an amazing crit quote.
Oh wow, poor Corrin...I don't know if I could ever play Fates because I don't know if I could make that decision...
It almost sounds like not choosing a side is the best option...or maybe joining Smash was the best option (I loved that in the reveal trailer).
And Revelations sounds like it'd be annoying to play compared to Birthright/Conquest.

@Bowser's Family Vacation: Eh, I doubt Sonic.exe would ever get in vanilla Smash, but I could easily see it/him in a mod/hack if it hasn't already been done. Would be hilarious though.
I think that's a different Hilda, but that was absolutely hilarious :D
Yeah, I would think they'd be all for more representation, especially with the FF7 remake coming...but then again, Square refuses to let Geno even cameo anymore *eyes the M&L: SS remake*, so who knows...
She kind of does, especially a younger Impa.
That explains the wind and Ore Club to an extent.

@Mr Spaz: I should have known TV Tropes might have the answer :v:
I didn't know he was an Eldritch, but now Ridley makes a lot more sense.
Question: well, a lot of my writing is Smash fanfics (none posted, though), so it's a definite yes for me. And I'm debating doing a Smash/WoL-themed Nuzlocke after this run as well (not sure what game though).

We kick off this update with the next boss fight.

The silhouette just looks like a blob. But with this whole area being Zelda-themed, it's probably pretty obvious.

The same-series boost pushes this team into insane power. And the irony of pairing Fox with Andross is not lost on me.
(I went Fox because both Falco and Wolf already fought a boss and I wanted the same-series boost.)

Weirdly enough, Ganondorf transforms into the boss (like Bowser turned into Giga Bowser), even though we already freed him. So are there two Ganondorfs?

Either way, it's time to fight Ganon.

Music: Ganon

You have to hit his tail to do any damage.

He's surprisingly mobile considering how huge he is.

I love the atmosphere of this fight. Also, this attack is basically Ganondorf's Final Smash.

So far, so good-autoheal is coming in handy. I never had an autoheal spirit on my first playthrough, so it's nice.

He can also be stunned for free damage.

I have no idea why he's firing a giant fucking laser, but he is.

Which got followed up by a generic sword strike 😐

Then he basically did Link's up-B, which is easy to avoid.

Hit-and-run is the best way to play this fight IMO.

Almost...

And done! That was pretty simple.

Yet another boss who explodes dramatically. Only one more to go, then Dharkon and one more section...this is honestly so much farther than I ever expected to get first try, let alone with only three lost fighters. I just hope Dracula goes smoothly... :ohdear:

Obligatory rewards.

And now we go back to the Dark Realm. But before going down the last path...

I know I skipped this fight the first time, but I was feeling a lot more confident after taking out Ganon, so I decided to go for it.

One down, and I almost have an FS ready...

There we go.

Easier than I expected.

*Ghetsis intensifies*

That was much easier than it was in the Gen 5 games. Kind of hoping a Gen 5 remake isn't anytime soon because all the difficulty of that fight will be gone because of stupid fairies 😠
(Of course, we'd need a Gen 4 remake first...fingers crossed for Switch remakes that resemble Platinum :fingerscrossed:)

Now this is the fight I said I'd put in my top 10 hardest list, mainly because Lucina is fucking vicious here. Again, I figured I'd give it a couple tries and move on if I lost more than twice.

But it was actually not too bad, especially once I got rid of her. Also Meta Knight looks evil with the FS effect, even when he's not a puppet...

And done, which leads to our next fighter...

Incineroar > Decidueye, but I would have been happy with either getting in, especially since both > that bitch Primarina.

Very easy since his recovery sucks. Incineroar was already my favorite Gen 7 starter since I'm a cat person and Fire is one of my favorite types, and he quickly became another favorite of mine in Smash because he's such a hilarious character. I love his taunts/laughs after certain moves.

Back to the middle, and now we go down the right path.

That could be bad if she doesn't go down quickly...also, why does it make a freaking elephant noise???

Luckily she wasn't much trouble.

Ugh, another one? 🙄

But we don't have to go that way just yet. Also, the ground glowing is super ominous...makes me wonder what's down there...

This will either be fun or very annoying.

High gravity isn't so bad, it's low gravity that's irritating since everyone flies all over the place.

It (she? I don't know) put up a decent fight, and even managed to get off an FS. Luckily I had more than enough health to survive.

And done. That opens up another dojo, but there's nothing else in that section.

Here we go again...

It would've been nice to have a different miniboss rather than three of these, especially since they're all the same.

This one didn't even do anything interesting.

Trolling with autoheal.

At least this screenshot looks cool.

Done. Luckily this is the last Crazy Hand until the last section.

I'll take the easy prizes, though.

On we go...

I know it was created way before Pokémon, but it looks like it could be a rejected fakemon design.

Puppet Dedede stares into your soul...

Easy enough.

This section is kind of confusing...also, how did the moon end up in here?

This isn't a super hard fight, but I really don't like the "starting at 300%" condition, so I'm gonna pass.

Not sure if it's a gear graveyard or supposed to look like that Dali painting with the distorted clocks. Either way, aesthetics like that are one reason I love the Dark Realm so much (as well as the god-tier music.)

Ugh, not the invisibility shit again...

I swapped to the Ice Climbers since I realized I haven't used them yet.

Once I got a Timer, it was easy. That leads to a chest...

Nice!

This is the most annoying section of the Dark Realm, since there's no way to tell which path you need to take since everything's obscured.

Why are there giant rubies smashed into it?

For the longest time, I thought Meta Knight was a single character. I didn't know they were a group.

It starts with just one...

But the others show up quickly. Not sure why two of them have 50 HP and the other two only have 40.

It got a little messy, but we pulled it off.

Ampharos has to be the most popular Electric-type that isn't Pikachu. I like him too.

Easy, although I'm not sure why they picked Pichu instead of Pikachu. Is it because they're both from Gen 2?

There's another fighter behind this fight, which is a lot higher power than I remembered...

I like my chances, though.

Not too bad, especially since strong attacks were doing 30-50 HP to him. It also gets us another chest...

Very nice! We may end up with enough for the whole Skill Tree after all.

And the fighter is...

I don't really know why she's here, but okay.

Another easy fight. Like I said before, I used to hate Lucina because her unlock fight in Smash 4 (Wii U) gave me hell, but after I started using her, she ended up being probably my favorite of the FE cast. I still feel like she could have just been an alt for Marth in 4, but eh.
Unfortunately, she won't be reuniting with her father here unless I go back and grab him later. But I looked up that scene in Awakening because I was curious how it was handled, and I was shocked at how powerful it was. Here it is.

Moving on.

Hopefully he's not as hard as his stage is-I've seen a video of it, and it looks brutal. Good music though.

Not bad at all.

Almost there...

Ugh. I don't know why, but I've never liked this Assist Trophy. He's not bad-actually, he's pretty solid-I've just never liked him.

I was trying to get rid of him first, which is why I got so much damage so quickly. But he's out of the way.

And then Sheik never managed to hit me after.

Will definitely be using the teleporter this time.

In we go...

And that takes us to Dracula's Castle. We'll check it out next time.

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 425
Fighters alive: 54

Next time, we head into Dracula's Castle.
Question of the update: would you like a Smash 6 to come out in a few years, or would you be satisfied if Ultimate was the last game? Also leaving the last one open.

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
The fight against Caeda (it's pronounced like Shi-da) actually references multiple Fire Emblem factoids at once. First off, the fact that she's accompanied by Marth. This is referencing the fact that Caeda is Marth's primary love interest in the two games in which they appear (Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem). Specifically, assuming she survives (Marth will always survive, given how if he dies, Game Over), Marth and Caeda get engaged at the end of Shadow Dragon, and married for real after the events of Mystery of the Emblem. Chrom and Lucina are actually Marth's distant descendants, though it's noted that Chrom behaves a lot more like Anri, Marth's ancestor and the original wielder of the Falchion.

Secondly, one thing you may not have caught onto is why Lucina used that specific palette to represent Caeda- it's because that particular palette of Lucina is actually referencing a different character in Fire Emblem Awakening, namely Cordelia, a fellow Pegasus Knight (whom, for added reference points, has feelings for her game's MC too- Cordelia has unrequited feelings for Chrom).

Jagens and Oifeys are not the only standard Fire Emblem Archetypes either. We also have the Cain and Abel archetypes, which are a paired set of Cavaliers- one red, one green, who join early in the game- Cains (the Red cavalier) lean towards Strength, HP and Defense, while Abels (the Green cavalier) lean towards Speed, Skill and Luck-, the Whitewings, a trio of Pegasus Knights capable of performing a special maneuver called the Triangle Attack, where, if all three Pegasus Knights surround the enemy, any attacks they make on that enemy will be a guaranteed critical hit. It's named for the Whitewings of Macedon, Palla, Catria, and, most notably, Est, the last of whom named her own archetype- units that join late in the game at a very low level, but have very high growths to compensate for it.

And last but most certainly not least is a universal Archetype amongst the Fire Emblem series: The Lord Archetype, which basically means main character, and causes you to get a game over if they are defeated in battle. There's only ONE exception to that second rule, and that's Lucina in Awakening. Despite taking on a role similar to other Lords, including even inheriting the Lord class from her father, you don't get a game over if she's defeated in battle (Though she's fluffed as being unable to fight any more and thus you still lose access to her). Of the eight Fire Emblem fighters in Smash, Five are of the typical Lord archetype- Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina and Chrom. Each game has examples of their own, though to list a few: Alm and Celica in Gaiden, Eliwood, Hector and Lyn in Blazing Blade (The former is Roy's dad, the latter is currently an AT), Eirika and Ephraim in Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance has Elincia as well as the aforementioned Ike, and Radiant Dawn adds Micaiah as a third lord (on top of the two lords of the previous game).

There is actually another, less-used archetype that only came about more recently that can be considered a sub-type of the Lord archetype though, as they share similar features to the Lord Archetype, including plot relevancy and game over on death- that being the Avatar/My Unit archetype. This type of unit first came about in, contrary to popular belief, a remake of the third Fire Emblem game, named New Mystery of the Emblem, which first introduced a customisable Avatar Unit- whose default name is Kris. People in Japan really liked this feature of a fully customisable unit, and thus it reappeared in three of the four games to come out afterwards. As you may or may not have expected, the remaining three Fire Emblem fighters, Robin, Corrin and Byleth, all fall under this archetype.

Last edited:

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
I dunno if you every played Kirby's Adventure or its remake: Nightmare in Dreamland. But the Meta-Knights are recurring enemies in that game as mini bosses. While I have no issue now, I remember struggling hard against them as a kid (apparently I was really bad at games as a kid).

To answer your question: neither. I eventually would like Smash 6, but not for a looooooooooooong time. Especially since Sakurai said it's very likely they'll never be able to get every character to return again. So I'd like a complete roster to be as complete as it can for as long as it can. That said I understand they'll eventually make a new one. Especially since new IPs and new characters will be created so Nintendo's gotta get smash in for their next big system.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
Smash World of Light nuzlocke? :o Have you considered... a castlocke?

Plot twist: The one that's not like the others is Andross, since both Fox and Elise have two eyes!

*Ghetsis intensifies*

I'm glad that people can reclaim their dignity from Ghetsis with memes. I posit that B/W Ghetsis is the hardest boss fight in all of Pokemon. Granted, I haven't played Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, but Ultra Necrozma is only one Pokemon. Ghetsis has a full team of six. All with wicked movesets, might I add. Gen 6 Pokemon League is quaking. Plus, right before Ghetsis, you have to fight N, who also has a full team with wicked movesets.

What I'm saying is that curbstomping him with fairies will feel good. But then again, having such a difficult boss fight is so satisfying.

Team Sinnoh, yeah! lissen as long as the game doesnt chug like diamond/pearl or sword/shield in the wild area

Puppet Dedede stares into your soul...
Puppet Dedede wants to clobbah dat dere Kirbeh! (that's just what you get at NME~)

Why are there giant rubies smashed into it?
It was a failed attempt to get rid of this guy.

Nintendo wants to forget the Phillips CDi.... >_>

When Awakening uses actual animated scenes and not just the stuff with the feetless models, it can be pretty moving. The same can be said for Fates. If you, uh, ignore all the logical fallacies... >_> Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest spoilers Xander, your baby sister died telling you to stop fighting, and you're gonna... fight on in her name!?

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Ultra Necrozma is only one Pokemon. Ghetsis has a full team of six. All with wicked movesets, might I add.
To be fair, Ultra Necrozma not only outlevels Ghetsis' entire team, but being a legendary (and a legendary that's transformed twice, mind you), has a BST of 754 (That's the third highest in the game, behind ONLY Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon in second, and the Mega Mewtwos and Mega Rayquaza in first), ALSO has an extremely nasty moveset that hits almost all types at least neutrally, AND has an instrinsic +1 to all stats on top of that, meaning it sticks around A LOT longer than you'd expect. Even Incineroar's and Decidueye's signature Z-Moves are NOT OHKOs on Ultra Necrozma- and that's assuming they survive long enough to use them!

About the only reason why Ultra Necrozma could be considered easier is that you can cheese it if you have a Zorua/Zoroark (due to the intricacies of the AI). Without that cheese, I would ABSOLUTELY say Ultra Necrozma is harder than Ghetsis by a country mile.

And let's be real here, the big threat of Ghetsis is that underleveled Hydreigon of his.

Also, about that spoiler thing? You got the wrong route, BFV. That happens in Birthright, not Conquest. Also I'm pretty sure that the reason they do that is because Xander wanted Corrin to kill him, so he doesn't have to live with the fact that he just killed his younger sister.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)