• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

Screenshot Let's Play General A World of Light Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Hard Mode (Updated 11/3)

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
The sad thing is that World of Light isn't the most traumatizing experience Kirby has gone through.... I mean, look at the final bosses of Kirby games! Kirby is a regular demon-hunter....

I suck at Smash, but I appreciate the series so much as a highlight reel of sorts of the gaming multiverse (or at least the Nintendo one). A spotlight in Smash can kickstart or even save a series! ttyd remake pls

On Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, it's a strategy game, like Fire Emblem, but at least for me, one of the main reasons I play Fire Emblem is for the d r a m a, and Mario + Rabbids doesn't really have that. It's funny, though, if you like that.

I am too soft to play Pikmin. This video made me cry as a kid.

Ugh, don't remind me of Lumiose City. I legit need a map to navigate it, and that still doesn't alleviate the motion sickness....

Favorite playable character: I'm maining Pikachu right now (Wizard hat gives me power)! ^^ I like Pichu's alts more, though, (Team Skull in the house!) so that is my Smash struggle right now....
Least favorite playable character: One thing I need in a character is recovery. Little Mac has terrible recovery (not to mention terrible other things).

Favorite stage: I don't have strong opinions on stages, since I usually play with Battlefield mode. I usually choose based on music. That being said, I have a soft spot for the cheesy Sonic vocal themes, so... Green Hill Zone.
Least favorite stage: Yggdrasil's Altar. The Dragon Quest series has such good music, but this stage only has bad remixes! D:<

Favorite item: Assist Trophies always have funky references.
Least favorite item: The Gust Bellows are stupidly overpowered.

SweatingCalendar

Alligator lizards in the air, in the aaaaaiiiiiirr
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 24, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Pokédex Entry
Pokémon[a] is a series of video games developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company as part of the Pokémon media franchise
Favorite item: Dragoon parts, its always fun to try to collect them to KO your opponent or better yet grabbing the last piece to rob them from using it >:)

Least favorite item: Spicy Curry and the Hammers cause its essentially run away until the opponent's item times out

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can we make it to the 10 character mark today? Let's find out!

@War Anvil: Definitely agree on the Home-Run Bat...connecting with it is one of the most satisfying things in the game, and the PIIIIIING makes it even better!
And I also agree that the Beehive is awful...it's just annoying and doesn't really help at all.

@hobohunter: Agree completely on Assist Trophies (I actually played a little Brawl the other day, and pulled Little Mac from an AT-I totally forgot he debuted as one first!). I won't be surprised if at least one more current AT gets bumped up to fighter whenever Smash 6 comes around.
Oh, that Fan story sounds aggravating...I would be pissed if someone did that to me too.

@nuzthemonkey: Oh, that sounds like it was fun! I miss the Landmaster...
I like the curry myself, but you make some good points about it. I have a feeling I won't like it as much after this run...

@Bowser's Family Vacation: God, watching that makes me wonder how Kirby isn't permanently traumatized...the little guy is tough!
Very true-a lot of characters/series would probably be forgotten forever if not for Smash. That's one of the things I love about the series.
I do like drama, but I've never played Fire Emblem, so I don't know if it's something I'd want to get into. I don't know if I could deal with the permadeath he says while on the Nuzlocke forums
I might look up a Let's Play of M&R sometime, especially if it's funny.
That video breaks my heart too...embarrassing confession: I couldn't play Pikmin with the sound on for a very long time because I couldn't stand the sound when a Pikmin dies...I got over that once Olimar got in Brawl, but it's still heartbreaking.
Lumiose was such a neat idea, but they totally choked the execution. I still get lost trying to find my way around after fighting Clemont...
Pikachu is one of my favorites too! And I wasn't a big Pichu fan in Melee, but I like it a lot more now.
Agree on Little Mac-he dies so quickly once you push him off stage.

That's fair, and the Sonic stages have some catchy songs shamelessly has Fist Bump in a favorites playlist
Which DQ remixes are bad? I like them so far (though I haven't heard the originals, so...)

Agree on both items, although I shamelessly enjoy pushing CPUs off with the Gust Bellows. I wouldn't do that against another player, though.

@SweatingCalendar: I love the Dragoon pieces too! Getting that third piece is such a satisfying feeling~
That's fair, especially on the Hammer-there's a few fights here that start the opponent off with one, and I'm dreading them...

Question: I like most of the items because they make the game chaotic/exciting (you can tell I'm not a competitive player), but my favorite is either any of the healing items, because it's so satisfying to heal up a bunch of damage just when it looks like you're about to get KOed, or the Poké Ball/Assist Trophy for the extra damage (ATs are also a nice honorable mention for characters who don't quite get in as fighters).
Least favorite is probably the Beehive, because it almost always seems like the bees come after me when I didn't touch it. I also had a weird hatred of the Bunny Hood in Melee when I was younger, but I don't really understand why, because I'm fine with it now.

So we left off with a mysterious light wall blocking our path east, which means we'll have to go back the way we came...

First goal is to open that chest, then start clearing the area out. There are several fighters close by-hopefully we can get two quickly to reach that 10 mark.

Missed the pre-battle shot, but they both have Steel Divers.

Easy once you stall them out of ammo.

Nice. I think it's about time to start using the Skill Tree.

I actually never figured out what super armor was until Ultimate came out. It's another pretty scary thing in WoL, and the Bewear doesn't help, because it's one of the stronger Poké Ball summons...

So I figured I'd match weight with him and just try to avoid Bewear until it goes away.

Once it left, he went down pretty easily. That gets us to our next fighter...

When I was a kid, Yoshi was by far my favorite character, both in Smash and in Mario games. Even though he's only my third favorite fighter now, I still favor him in Mario Kart/Party/etc.

One more fighter and we'll hit 10!

Blowing up this rock...

Oh, nice! You'll come in handy, and I don't even have to grind a Magikarp!

This may be unpopular, but I actually enjoyed Super Princess Peach. I liked that Peach was actually doing something for once-SMRPG and SMB2 were the only other games I knew of at the time where she was actually helpful, although I guess she does get some credit in Paper Mario and TTYD. Not sure why she had to get emotional to do things, though...

Easy enough, although she liked to stall in the air. Good thing it's not timed.

So I decided to head south instead of continuing toward the third button since it looked like a fighter down there was closer and I really wanted to hit 10.

Heracross is one of the highest Pokémon on my "want to use" list. I was super happy when I got one in my Moon wonderlocke, and so far she's kicking butt.

That looks painful...

Simple, although for some reason Heracross's Spirit has more defense than offense? It's way more attack-oriented in the games...

Of course, we have to take the long way around to get to the fighter.

We're actually close to making a full circle and being able to pick up Sheik/Villager.

Triplets? Also I love how the guy in the middle is all blue...is he the rebel of the family?

Rocking purple Yoshi since it's my favorite color. Green is second, though.

Not too bad, although a character with a reflector would have made it hilarious.

And now we can fix the bridges! I will not be going to fight that one spirit, though.

I imagine certain Youtubers have nightmares about this...

Awkward!

A little annoying, but not as bad as actual Wollywogs (especially in Pikmin 1).

Not really sure why Mario Golf felt the need to introduce a whole bunch of generic humans. I mean, the whole point is it's Mario and friends golfing, right? Mario Kart never did that...until 8 became a big crossover. I didn't really mind, though (except Link because why is Link driving???), and I won't be surprised if MK9's roster heavily resembles the Smash roster.

For some reason, I had more trouble with this fight in New Game+ than I did the first time around.

Beastballs are fun!

Anyway, who's lucky fighter #10?

I've never really understood why Jigglypuff got in Smash. And I've heard she nearly got cut in Brawl, which honestly wouldn't have bothered me much, especially if it meant Mewtwo could've stayed and the whole debate about whether Lucario replaced him could've been avoided.
(I don't actually hate Jigglypuff, though, just not really sure why her over some of the other Pokémon. Is it because of the anime one?)

...Why are we on Mushroom Kingdom U instead of a Pokémon stage?

Simple, and every fighter helps.

This clears up this path, but more importantly...

We made it! When I started the run, I honestly wasn't sure I'd get this far, so this is pretty exciting.

Back up to the ribbon roads...

Our roster is looking strong! (No, I haven't bought Piranha Plant, because...why? I feel like Petey Piranha would have been a better pick...it's better than Waluigi, though.)

Jeez, she really is tiny if Jigglypuff is bigger.

Lip's Stick is seriously busted in this mode.

Onward!

Not too bad. Puff needs a little more kill power, though-I wouldn't have gotten so damaged if she were stronger...

If I went right, we'd be on the doorstep of the first boss area. But the spirit in the way (Yarn Yoshi) is way too strong for us right now. We'll come back to it later.

Oh, great, hostile Assist Trophies...this could be really bad depending on who it is...

I still have no idea who Takamaru is, or why he seems to be popular all of a sudden (why does Mario Maker 2 have his sprite as an effect???).
So I tried to get rid of him to make it a 1-on-1.

It got ugly pretty fast, and I started thinking "well, if I lose, at least I won't lose a character I really like..."

But once I got a Star, I was able to get him out of the way and it all worked out.

A faster Wolf is scary, since his main issue is being slow.

He put up a fight, but once I got the Fire Bar he went down pretty quick.

Fights like these are more annoying than difficult, as long as they aren't timed.

The idea of Ganondorf being anyone's bodyguard is hilarious to me.

Once he was gone, I played cat and mouse (er, dog and mouse?) with her for a bit before taking her out.

I fell out of the M&L series after BIS, and I guess that was good timing, because I've heard the later games weren't as good as the first few. BIS wasn't what made me fall out, though-I do enjoy it.
(Unpopular opinion: PiT is extremely underrated and I'm so sad that it didn't get a remake.)

Simple.

We can reach another dojo now, which is probably the weirdest one in the game (WTF is a "Big-Bee" style?), but there are more pressing matters to attend to...

Like rescuing Fox and pushing the third button.
(Headcanon time: I tend to think that when Galeem attacked, he destroyed Fox first (either with a warning shot, or the first light beam), since he seemed to be leading the fighters at the time.)

The Staff made this really easy. And Fox is another favorite of mine, even though I like Falco and Wolf more.

And that's the last barrier! Now to get over there...

Pushing the button created the path in the middle.

We actually aren't that far from Galeem at this point, although we still have three bosses to take out before we can face him.

Trying to work our way toward the portal now that it's open...

This fight seemed simple enough...until she kept hitting me with the Fishing Rod.

It all worked out, but what is it with Isabelle puppets being some of the toughest battles? I'm not trying to underestimate any fights...

So many options! Going to try to get to the portal, but if we can't, we'll go for the boss area.

Closing up by picking up the spirits I left with Charlie.

...Well, that was a bust. At least they got some levels (28, 20, 17, and 17 respectively).

Maybe the third time'll be the charm? We'll find out next time.

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 79
Fighters alive: 16
Fighters lost: 0​

Next time, we work our way toward that portal.
Question of the update: which game in the series is your favorite (and least favorite, if you have one)?

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
couple fun facts and question answering:

Bord, Cord, and Barst aren't actually brothers, they're mercenaries together. Barst (the blue one) is by far the best of the three, but they're all decently outclassed (axe user are unfortunately bad in Marth's Fire Emblem games imo)

Jigglypuff was added to the roster because it was the second most popular pokemon at the time in Japan, mostly due to the anime. As for why it wasn't cut, the answer's simple. The OG 12 don't get cut ever. Ness was actually supposed to be cut for Lucas in Melee, but Mother 3 got hella delayed so Ness came back, and then Sakurai decided that fun rule.

Takamaru stars in mostly JP only games. He's always been super popular in JP. We're just hearing more and more about him now thanks to Smash.

Ganondorf in the Nyna fight represents Camus from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. Camus was a general from the opposing army who fell in love with Nyna and saved her life from execution, and eventually she found her way to Marth and joined up with his army. Unfortunately in the game you end up fighting and "murdering" Camus (Don't worry, he gets better)

Best smash is Ultimate by far. Everyone's back. I hate when characters get cut in smash. So the E3 trailer was so satisfying when they announced everyone was returning. Unfortunately by Sakurai's own words, this likely won't happen again. Least favorite is actually smash 64. I don't think has aged all that well. But I also could just suck at it. Who can say for sure.

SweatingCalendar

Alligator lizards in the air, in the aaaaaiiiiiirr
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 24, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Pokédex Entry
Pokémon[a] is a series of video games developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company as part of the Pokémon media franchise
I didn't really mind, though (except Link because why is Link driving???)
I really like Link being in MK8 but I wish they had him ride Epona instead of the BOTW bike. It would be entertaining seeing him line up with a horse up against a bunch of racecarts!

*puts on nostalgia goggles* Brawl. Probably because its my intro to smash and definitely because of Subspace Emissary. I love how goofy the story is like Snake, Meta Kight and a Lucario raiding a flying battleship.

I dont really have a least favorite. Besides the technical changes between iterations and additions/subtractions to the rosters and items they kinda all feel the same to me.

The Man of Many Names

Formerly of the 4000+ Posts Club.
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 13, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry
With the pokedex number of 493, this Pokemon is essentially Arceus and fully intends to let the power get to his head.
So you're having trouble against Isabelle spirits? I don't blame you. In case you couldn't tell from her Twitter account and from official Animal Crossing photos of her, Isabelle is a relentless, bloodthirsty psychopath that lives to cause pain and misery.

Did you get Ultimate before January 31, 2019? I don't remember the exact details, but if you fit the qualifications then you don't have to pay anything to get the Piranha Plant. I'd at least search online to see if you can still download him, it's an extra spot on the roster and Piranha Plant is the perfect joke character. You have nothing to lose if you can get him for free.

To answer the question: My favorite Smash Bros. game is Smash Bros. 3DS. Asking me to pick the best Smash Bros. game is like asking me to pick my favorite type of chocolate; they're all delicious, but in different ways. However, 3DS has Smash Run, Street Smash, and a lot of trophies, and those three things are all I need to keep playing a Smash Bros. game for years.

My least favorite Smash Bros. game is Melee, and not even for the game itself. It's because of a group of college students that frequently visited the rec center that I used to work at. They would come in at 9:00 like clockwork, play Melee for what felt like the entire day, and worst of all; they treated the equipment available and other people that wanted to use the modded Gamecube like dirt. It got so bad that the owner of said modded Gamecube had to take it away for a brief period of time and only brought it back when he deleted the Melee data. Because of those guys, I can't look at Melee without thinking about those pricks.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Today we finally head into the mysterious portal we've been hinting at for three updates!
@hobohunter: Wow, you know way more than I do...one of these days I really need to try some of the other characters' games.
That makes sense about Jigglypuff, although I'm a little surprised Charizard wasn't over it (but admittedly I'm a little biased). I had heard that about Ness/Lucas, though.
Oh, that's sad...although if he gets better, I guess it's okay.
Agree on both Ultimate and 64, although I worry what that means for Smash 6...I'm worried we might lose a bunch of characters, and I'd hate that...

@SweatingCalendar: That would actually be both really cool and hilarious, although what would Link use to glide?
Definite yes on Brawl-Subspace was one of my favorite modes ever, and I'm still sad we never got a sequel. And I say that as a big WoL fan.
I'm with you on not really having a least favorite too-I love them all.

@The Man of Many Names: I thought Villager was the psychopath, not Isabelle...unless she hides it really well...
I got Ultimate for Christmas 2018, but I never registered it, so I can't get Piranha Plant that way...but I did transfer my money from my Wii U account, so I may just do that. It's such a silly character that I kind of like it...still would've preferred Petey though (but at least he's the Final Smash). And every character helps.
Agree that each game is great, and definitely agree that Smash Run was one of the best things about 3DS. Wish it would've been in Wii U instead of Smash Tour...
Oh, that sounds horrible-I can see why Melee bothers you after something like that. Shame people can't act halfway decent/let others have fun...
Question: My favorite game in the series is probably Ultimate: it's so exciting seeing everyone-even characters I don't really like-here and (almost) every stage back as well. But it's a very close race-I love all the games.
Honestly, I don't think I have a least favorite-they all have great aspects and the older ones still hold up well. But if I had to pick one, I guess I'd say 64 solely because it has the least content, and I think each further game improved on the original, but I still like it. (There's actually a new mod for 64 that added several of the Melee cast (Falco, Ganondorf, Young Link, and Dr. Mario) and a whole bunch of stages.)
Although I have to ding Smash 3DS because for some reason my copy doesn't work anymore when I didn't do anything to it or my system...I keep meaning to buy another one, but I still don't know why that one crapped out...
Beginning with the obligatory Charlie visit:

Not the best haul, but better than last time. I'll probably leave these off-screen from here on though.

So we pick up having deactivated the last barrier from the portal. Hopefully we can get there soon...

Man, the Sonic series has a lot of characters. You'd think they'd have gotten a second playable fighter by now...especially since the series has two ATs in Ultimate. If they ever do, my money's on Tails.

Looks messy, but not too bad, since the invisibility is only temporary.

Yep.

We can go up the mountain from the other side.

Go through this pipe, and here we are. Gonna check over the mountain and then head in the portal.

The next battle involves Freezies, so hopefully I can do some reflecting shenanigans...

Yay! I love Reflectors~

I don't think I managed to reflect a second one, but it was still easy.

They really gave some random series Spirit reps, but I actually kind of like it.

No problem.

...Hopefully this isn't a bad omen :ohdear:

Seemed appropriate.

Not too bad. Helps that Wolf's recovery is kind of bad compared to Fox/Falco.

You'd think they'd have at least tried to give the Ice Climbers a second game-or at least a remake-since they got in Smash.

Unfortunately, I don't have an ice resist yet. But it shouldn't be too hard, right...?

Problem is, Ridley is surprisingly fast here, and he likes hanging out on the bottom platform, which does 15% when it damages you. Plus the Ice Climbers refuse to leave you alone.
I got rid of them, and managed to whittle Ridley down some, but he wouldn't stay still. And time was getting tight-I was starting to think I was gonna lose Fox here. So I went balls-out, hoping I could get that one last hit in...

(Cue the announcer countdown...)

...That was way too close-I had less than two seconds left on the clock. Guess this is the equivalent to a Pokémon living on <5 HP in a Nuzlocke...

Our reward for all that?

Absolutely nothing. Unlocking music is useless here, since I'm only using this file for this run.

I wish I could go to the space area, because I know Falco is up there, but I don't have the Spirit (Slippy or ROB 64) to fix the Great Fox. So it's back to the pipe for now, and this time we go to the portal...

Which takes us to the Temple of Light. Obviously a KI-inspired area, especially given the music:

Music: Temple of Light (Destroyed Skyworld)
(A/N: This is one of my favorite tracks in the game. And IMO, it fits WoL very well, especially at the beginning. Does anyone know if the lyrics actually mean anything?)

Shouldn't be too bad, right?

Temporary invincibility is aggravating, but at least this is a big stage I can run from them on.

Mainly got damaged by getting caught between them when they both neutral-B'd.

Ugh, I don't really like Chrom. I don't dislike him as a character, it's mainly that he's an Echo of a fighter who started as a clone (Roy). So he's a clone of a clone...?
Plus he's still in Robin's Final Smash, so he can fight himself...? But I know a lot of people are happy he's in (especially after the Smash 4 heartbreak), and he doesn't bother me too much.
(Funny note: for the longest time, I misheard his "Out of my way!" when he up-B's as something about his wife, and I thought it was hilarious that he randomly brought up his wife in the middle of a battle...)

Easy fight. The Killing Edge is a pretty cool item.

Missed the pre-battle shot, but this fight unlocks Simon. He's a good bit stronger than anything we've fought, though...

He put up a good fight, but once I got him off-stage it was over. I'm not a big Castlevania fan, but Simon's pretty cool (I like Richter more, though). Dracula's Castle is a very cool stage, and the music is amazing.
(Embarrassing confession: when I was first playing the game, I was looking up who gets unlocked when, and I kept getting him and Zelda mixed up because the hair and headpiece look similar on their stock icons...)

Beating Simon opened a portal...

...which takes us further into the temple.

Ew at this many Pits.

480 HP against my 170 might look bad, but...

...it was pretty simple. I think the first shot looks dark because it was right after the "finishing blow" effect.

Does it have to be on Hyrule Temple? I like the stage, but it's just gonna drag the fight out...

Never mind. Good thing Simon's recovery sucks.

I know this alt is supposed to be a reference to the first Kirby games on the Game Boy, but man it looks washed out and almost depressing...

Easy fight, though.

There's a switch/button over here...

...which opens the door. Not really sure why it was necessary, though.

Didn't you have a trophy that had to be removed from Smash 4 for being too revealing? Or was that just a hoax?
Either way, I wonder why it's okay now.

I don't have a poison immunity, but at least I have a resist.

This is the first time I've seen this effect, since I always had a fog/poison immunity by this point. It's kind of pretty, but unfortunately it's deadly...

But it wasn't too bad.

This is no ordinary chest...

I HATED these things in Smash Run. They were one of the enemies I could never beat...

And they're just as annoying here! For a second, I thought I was gonna lose Yoshi, but eventually it worked out.

This should be easier.

I finished him with neutral-B, so I guess Yoshi ate him to death? I was cracking up when it happened.
That gets us to another fighter...

Bleh. As I said before, not a Pit fan at all-would have preferred Palutena, but I get why she's much later.
(Also, he's much less powerful than Simon was despite being later-Simon was 7500 power. The joke writes itself~)

But a fighter is a fighter.

Winning shattered the gem at the top of this altar...

...which inexplicably dims the light here, making it passable. But before we continue...

It's time to start using the Skill Tree. We need every edge we can get going forward.

I wasn't really sure what my best options were, so I went with what seemed the most useful (Neutral Attack ^, Tilt Attack ^, Defense ^ When Healthy, Shield Durability ^, and Battering Items ^). Seems like a solid start, and a good stopping place.

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 94
Fighters alive: 18
Fighters lost: 0 (???)​
Next time, we head into the first boss area.
The first fighter falls...
Question of the update: if you could add any character to Smash, who would it be and why?

Last edited:

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
I'm curious why you took so long to start using the skill tree. But it's your run, you do you.

Answer's easy: Sora from Kingdom Hearts. The reasoning is simple. Dude would fit well in smash as a magic/"swordsman" hybird. Dude has been in a good amount of nintendo games since like half the series has been on nintendo consoles. And KH is my favorite game series of all time so I'd be super duper stoked. Also he still has a legit shot I feel, there's god know how many more DLC fighters that will be in the game.

Zorua3

On-and-off Nuzlocker
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark
Pokédex Entry
I'd copy-paste the Zorua Pokedex entry, but I'm too lazy.
Ah ha ha, a death. I love drama. Also, regarding the mimicutie, screw that thing. Second most annoying enemy in Smash Run behind the Grim Reaper guy.

Most wanted would probably have been Minecraft Steve if yoiu'd asked a month ago, but after revisiting Shovel Knight Treasure Trove after the latest update, I'd say my most wanted is the namesake of said game (though he's an AT, holding out hope for an AT promotion pass though). Honestly what pushed him to #1 is mostly the music, Shovel Knight has some amazing tunes and hearing them all in non-chiptune glory would be fantastic.

REDalchemist

S.P.D. Jack Landors
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
Whomst
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
There once was a man named Gold Roger, who was King of the Pirates. He had fame, power, and wealth beyond your wildest dreams.
Cool to see you using the full extent of the Mega-man spirits (now find that EXE spirit)

QOTU: Just off the top of my head I'd say maybe wonder red from the wonderful 101 using the rest of his power ranger force to attack you. I say this solely off the fact that W101 is spiritual succesor to viewtiful Joe and Viewtiful joe is hella fun to play as in MAHVEL vs. capcom 3

SnackyTheSylph

a weapon to surpass metal gear
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
QOTU: I'm a Geno fanboy myself (as you can see), but I would honestly want the player character from Hollow Knight (AKA The Knight) more. I love that game a lot, and its controls are so similar to smash that their moveset basically writes itself. It would also be really cool to have an actual indie rep as a fighter (assuming I'm not forgetting anyone...and no, Miis don't count).

For the record, if you're looking for skill tree advice...you generally want to work your way to the top-left corner. That has double final smash, which can help out in clutching out longer fights, as well as I think super armor smash attacks, which are always nice.

War Anvil

Life is too short to be little.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Cool, Cute
Pokédex Entry
I like your Sakurai, but not your players. Your players are so unlike your Sakurai.
QOTU: I would add Misty, and have her be in a PokéTrainer-esque position with Starmie, (Preferably) Dracovish, and some Fairy-type never seen yet in Smash. More realistically, though, Shantae is the only choice for me personally.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Today we finally take on a boss, as promised! And the first fighter falls...

@hobohunter: Honestly, it was mainly because I wasn't sure what my best options were on it. I think I have a little better idea of what to use now though.
Those are all good arguments, and I could definitely see Sora getting in if licensing isn't an issue (and looking at the third parties, I think he has a shot).

@Zorua3: Not me, but honestly I'm surprised it took until this update to have a death...
I don't know if a current AT would get promoted in the same game, but Shovel Knight definitely seems like one that might get that shot if it happens.

@REDalchemist: So far the MM spirits are coming in clutch, although if I remember right .EXE is a tough fight that kind of scares me a little...
I could see one of the Wonders getting in, especially since they all got trophies in Smash 4. And a group of fighters would be a very unique idea, or it would make a good Final Smash.

@SnackyTheSylph: I would happily take Geno also (SMRPG was my childhood!), and Hollow Knight sounds cool as well.
Also I greatly appreciate the Skill Tree advice! I'm still not incredibly familiar with it, so that helps a lot.

@War Anvil: Can I just say that your Misty devotion makes me really happy? And that sounds like a cool idea for her as well.
Shantae is another character I definitely think has a good shot.
Question: I'm honestly really happy with the roster, but if I could add any character, it'd either be Paper Mario, Geno, or PMD2 Grovyle. PM has always been a favorite series of mine, and now that it's confirmed separate from normal Mario, I'd love to see him in. Same for Geno-I love SMRPG so much, and I think it's the reason I even got into RPGs like Pokémon.
And PMD2 Grovyle was my favorite character from that game, and I'd kill to see him make another appearance (plus Grovyle is one of my all-time favorite Pokémon).

So before we go take on our first boss, I thought it would be a good idea to clear out some more fights for EXP and items, and see if we can rescue any more fighters first. Since nothing significant happened, I'll put it under a spoiler:

This is a unique fight-you have one minute to zero out his 500 HP (actually more since he heals over time), but he doesn't attack at all.

It's not that bad, especially since Lip's Stick is borderline busted.

Who's the bigger meme, Silver or Shadow?

Easy.

I approve of 3D World representation. When is it getting ported to the Switch?

Also easy.

The joke is obvious.

Still don't have an immunity yet...

Rougher than I expected, but we pulled it out.

Seen a lot of people have trouble with this fight. I can see why-it's easy for her to trap you in a side-B loop.

She tried, but couldn't pull it off.

And here's where Pico comes in handy.

Ew, uncontrollable speed is a good way to lose characters...

Of course, it's also a good way for them to kill themselves.

I don't really think the wheels are necessary...cool idea, though.

Another one down.

Another unique mechanic-some spirits start you or the opponent off with 30% but buff you in other ways.

Didn't help him much, though.

And here's the biggest meme of Smash! Not a huge Falcon fan, but I will note that F-Zero X was the shit. Unfortunately for him, I think he's more known for Smash than for his own series at this point, since it's been dead for 10+ years.

Easiest unlock battle yet-three or four shots and he was done. Probably won't use him much, but maybe I'll go for a Falcon Punch in an easy fight later.

Unlocking him clears some tires away, not that they were really in the way to begin with.

Another fight I've seen people struggle with.

Not bad, although I decided I'd rather risk Pac-Man than someone I like more.

And we've (almost) come full circle!

Easy once you ignore the constant "Explosive Flame!" from Palutena, although I do like her.

I think that's another unique effect?

Didn't really matter.

Nice.

Killed him with neutral-A once he was off-screen.

Whitney 😱

Nah, she was easy.

Are you Mr. Resetti's brother?

The Hammer made it a little tough, but not too bad.

Gonna be honest, I'm not big on Link or the Zelda series, although I like Zelda herself. I do like that they finally gave him a new design, though.

Another fighter joins the squad!

Ssssssssso much Sssssssnake...

Figured I'd have a little fun and go for a Falcon Punch or two.

Wasn't expecting it to actually work!

A T-Rex can drive, but he couldn't put on pants?

Easy, and got a nice prize out of it.
Summary: rescued Link and Captain Falcon, cleared out most of the racetrack area, south of where Lucario was, and east of Villager.

All right, back to the path to the boss area.

Shouldn't Goombas have been the first Spirit we found?

Won this fight with four Falcon Punches.

I miss standalone Charizard :(

Easy.

Flygon may never get a Mega, but at least he got a Spirit?
...Yeah, I would have liked a Mega Flygon too.

Also easy.

Full circle!

...This guy's proportions are weird as hell. Look how long his legs are and how short his chest is!

I shit on Captain Falcon a lot, but he's actually kicking some ass.

I like how Boom Boom vanished after SMB3, then suddenly came back 20+ years later in 3D Land and brought a female version with him. And now they appear all the time...

Not bad at all.

Here we go...
(Aside: I would love to see someone reach one of the other two bosses first. Literally every playthrough I've watched-including my own-went this way first.)

Music: Molten Fortress/Castle/Boss Fortress (Brawl)
One guess who's waiting for us at the end of this place.

Off to a dangerous start...

Never mind. Once the Bob-ombs are gone they're easy.

I feel like he might not be as popular as the other Belmonts.

Not too bad.

And here's the main "puzzle" of this area-finding and pushing those switches.

A very fitting rep. Also, that shade of purple looks great on Greninja.

This could get messy, but maybe I can have some fun with them by spamming down-B?

That was fun! And it ends with a satisfying double kill!

...Nope. I am not fighting Ho-oh if I don't have to.

Ugh, curry fights are annoying. But again, maybe down-B will help?

...It did, somewhat. But he takes up so much of the stage that it's hard to avoid him. We traded hits for a while, but eventually I got him into KO range.
But I couldn't get the kill...and then he got his Final Smash. So I tried to stay away, but the stage is so small that that's almost impossible, and when he used it...

...I couldn't dodge it. And at 75% when it hit...

...yeah, there was no surviving that. Which means Pit is our first death.

*sigh*
I knew this was gonna happen eventually, but honestly, I didn't think I would get this far (120 fights in) without losing anyone. To be honest, part of me was surprised to even get this far at all.
I knew my luck was gonna run out at some point-any time I do a Nuzlocke, I always get suspicious the longer I go without a death/between deaths. And to have made it this far in WoL without a loss...I knew it was coming.
Maybe I could have avoided it if I would have used a character I'm better with, but that's why I added the rule of using everyone I unlock-so I'd have to use characters I don't usually use.
I'm glad it wasn't a fighter I genuinely like, but for what it's worth, I was pleasantly impressed with Pit for the short time I used him. And now Palutena will be heartbroken if we make it to rescuing her...

Let's try that again. No mercy.

Revenge!

*push x2*

Why the hell is Kamek repped by Inklings?

Shouldn't be too hard.

Everybody gets a Star Rod!

Done, and Mario looks very pleased with himself.

There's the third switch.

...Who? Also, this is not Sudden Death-it does not need to rain Bob-ombs!
That is one of my least favorite conditions.

She got comboed by two Bob-ombs! I was laughing hard when that happened.

*push*

That creates a path to the boss, as well as to another fighter.

I would have said he's way too strong right now, but at some point I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and go for it-otherwise we're never going to make it in later areas. And he's blocking the way to a fighter I'd like to get.

Besides, with the right spirit buffed...

And a type advantage, we may be okay.

I was hoping to get rid of him before the stage transition, but it didn't quite work out...

But we got him anyway!

Which nets us a solid batch of prizes since we were lower power.

And our main prize is...

Useless.

Much better!
But was anyone surprised Peach ended up in the lava castle? Apparently even Galeem likes tradition...

Buffing him since he's easily the strongest Spirit I have right now.

Even though I don't really ship Mario/Peach (look at Odyssey's ending), I felt this was appropriate.
(Although you can argue Peach only rejected him because she was irritated and just wanted to go home, but she actually does like him...or that she actually does like Bowser and it's all a show, or...who knows?)

She put up a good fight-she was nearing 150% before I finally KOed her. And the apparent "best" character in the game joins our squad!
I've always thought it was hilarious that dainty Princess Peach is one of the "best" fighters in Smash, yet she's utterly hopeless at not getting kidnapped. I guess she only uses her skill in Smash?
Either way, Peach is another solid favorite for me.

Back to the other side:

I wonder why Groudon was only a Poké Ball summon in Brawl, but Kyogre got to be in Brawl, 4, and Ultimate?

Simple.

I would make a Team Omega comment, but both Kyogre and Rayquaza also have spirits (although I don't think either of theirs are in WoL), and I'm not on a team, so I'm not sure it would fit.
Weirdly enough, both Groudon and Kyogre are enhanceable, but I don't think Rayquaza is.

Hopefully this chest will be useful...

I can work with that. Kind of wish it was more than two, but at least it's something.
Now for the last fight before the boss...

This guy just looks like a villain.
*notices Ridley*
...Are the dragons always evil in Fire Emblem?

Man I was excited that Ridley finally got in, and I'm not even a Metroid fan. He's easily a top 10, if not top 5 character of mine.

Easy enough.

Here we go...Mario's been on a hot streak lately, so hopefully he can keep it up...

*gulp*

Weirdly, they don't identify the bosses initially-except one we'll see later on. But we've all played Smash, so this one's pretty obvious.

Heh, good old Mario vs. Bowser, right?

Just kidding! Giga Bowser is here!
(We're so dead...he was one of the two hardest bosses for me my first playthrough :ohdear: )

Music: Giga Bowser

Semi-rant: why doesn't Bowser ever do this against Mario normally? I know Smash (mostly) isn't canon, but I think his chances would be better if he went Giga.
Also, this was one of the most shocking-but cool-things to find back in Melee.

Boss fights are unique in that you have to deplete their health bar rather than knocking them off-stage. Since he controls most of the stage because he's so damn huge, I figured staying in the air and spamming Fireballs was my best strategy. Might have been able to do the same with Fox's Blaster.
(If I could take videos, I'd do videos of the boss fights. But since I can't, I'll try to take extra screenshots to make up for it.)

Surprisingly, it was actually working pretty well. It helps that he's really slow.

Fighting fire with fire~

He got in a few hits, but that health bar dropped fast.
...Are we really going to beat him on the first try?

😱
We did it!

...What the hell? I struggled so much against him on my first playthrough-how the hell was he this easy in a Nuzlocke?
(I guess a combo of having stronger spirits and using the Skill Tree? Plus maybe Mario is better suited to this fight than who I was using (Lucario)? I don't know...but I'm not complaining.)

And he violently explodes. RIP Bowser?

Nope-normal Bowser survives, and he joins the squad! He's always been another favorite of mine-even more so since he's seriously good now.

We get a ton of goodies from that fight. Weird how GB's spirit isn't at least a 3-star.

But more importantly...

We strike our first significant blow against Galeem! As hopeless as things seemed at the beginning, they're turning around nicely.

Beating a boss also reopens the paths to the two fighters you didn't choose at the beginning, which is more significant for getting around the map since you can just reach the fighters from the back, but still neat.

We may have suffered our first loss, but so has Galeem. And our roster is only getting stronger, while his forces are slowly weakening-overall, things are looking up.
Now...where the hell do we go next?

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 129
Fighters alive: 21
Fighters lost: 1​

(I thought this would be appropriate whenever I started to lose fighters. I thought about either going into Smashdown and removing lost fighters for these shots (although that won't work until I have at least two losses), or graying out lost fighters, and I even thought about a Hunger Games-style fallen montage, but I don't have a way to make video for that...so this seemed like the best method. Let me know if you think one of the other ways is better.)
Next time, we round up more fighters and look for someone to break us into the base.
Question of the update: your favorite and/or least favorite Final Smash (from any of the games)?

Last edited:

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
I'll have you know my first boss wasn't Giga Bowser! It was Galleom! HA EAT IT (Giga Bowser was the second one).

Nah not every dragon in FE is evil. Just most of them. But you are right, Lyon is most defintiely evil.

Favorite Final Smash... ugggg that's a tough one. I'd have to give it to Mega Man. Probably because it represents like every type of Megaman and it was super cool to see all that representation. Least favorite is definitely Peach/Daisy. Super not helpful in fights really.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Today we head toward our second boss.

@hobohunter: Oh, nice! Now we just need someone who fought Rathalos first...
I'm glad FE has some good dragons, they get such a bad rep...and cool to know I was right about him being a villain.
Agree on Mega Legends being a neat FS, especially with the two extra characters it added in Ultimate. And yeah, Peach/Daisy Blossom is pretty meh compared to almost all the others. At least it gives you a chance to heal?

Question: My favorite Final Smash is either the Landmaster-I mean, you drop a freaking tank on everyone!-or Triforce of Wisdom, it's so freaking good even if it only hits one person. I also had an affinity for Negative Zone back in Brawl-it was just so weird that I loved it.
Mega Legends is pretty awesome too, and I'm not even a Mega Man fan. And I also liked Mega Charizard X for obvious reasons :v:
Least favorite...overall I'd say Puff Up, because it's just really unimpressive, although I'm not really sure what else they could have done. But before Ultimate, I'd have said Konga Beat-DK...played drums??? It's pretty much useless...luckily he has a much better one now. Waddle Dee Army was crap too, and Wii Fit...well, I have no idea what they could have done for them, but it's pretty lame as well.

So with one boss down, I decided the base was next priority, but to round up as many fighters as possible first.

First stop was in the middle of the rapids, and wow I don't remember this fight being this strong...also neither of those conditions are very fun.

But I was feeling confident after taking out Giga Bowser so easily...which is rare for me, I don't usually get overconfident ever.

It got kind of hairy, but ultimately it all worked out.

Which leads us to Pikachu.

I really never use Link outside of Classic/All-Star, but I figured I'd give him a shot since this fight seemed easy.

It felt weird, but it was pretty simple. As for Pikachu, he's another one of my favorites (spoiler alert: most of the Pokémon in Smash are on my favorite character list).

Then I started toward Sheik/Villager, and found this fight in front of a chest near where Jigglypuff was.

The timer for this fight is really generous, even though they like to run away.

Nice!

Back on the path...

I got a little worried when the Bullet Bills started appearing, but it wasn't too bad.

...Am I the only one who thinks his gun looks like a fish?

Simple.

Why are Sonic villains-aside from Eggman-so edgy?

Again, incredibly generous time limit.

And now we can rescue Sheik.

Easy, although I'm not a big Sheik fan-I've always preferred Zelda over her even back when they were one character. But I like the idea, and it's cool that Zelda made herself useful by adopting the persona.

Decided to grab Villager while I'm here.

Even easier. Hopefully won't have to use him much though-I don't think I've ever played him at all. But I do use Isabelle some, so hopefully it won't be much different...

Eww, Wendy.

Simple.

Then I remembered there was another shop near where Link was, so I decided to open it.

Surprisingly easy.

Apparently each shop has a theme of which spirits they sell. Didn't see anything too useful, but again, it's good to have open.

Back to the main road...

Wanted to get it over with quickly because the music hurt my ears. I hate the songs from the WarioWare cast-I'll stick to the main theme, thank you.

I saw another fighter in the area south of where Lucario was, so I headed there.

Death by vegetable!

Turns out there's another shop here! (I thought it was on the other side of the map...)

Not bad at all.

And a solid selection as well! I almost bought Shovel Knight, but then I remembered I had another strong red spirit (Leif), so I decided to wait for now.

Ew.

My Peach is better~

Shouldn't be too hard.

Nope.

So when I saw him, I thought the fighter was Isabelle because I thought I read somewhere he was "guarding" her...

...but then it turned out the fighter was a Mii, so I left it alone because honestly, I've never played a Mii at all.

The trip wasn't a total bust, though.

Went back into the city because I need this guy to get into the base, which made me feel dumb for not grabbing him when I was there earlier, especially since I remember seeing the name...

But then I remembered this fight being a bitch in my first playthrough, so maybe I made the right decision.

Surprisingly not too bad if you can ignore R.O.B.

The game is (generally) nice about pointing out when you get a spirit with an overworld ability.

Then I figured I'd try to get to that Master Spirit I kept saying would be very helpful. Since I'm still not sure about fighting Bomberman, I decided to go the other way.

Yoshi's Island was so good-why did they ruin it with the "New" game? DS was fine, though.
Also, why is one MK in front, they should both be behind him!

Ridiculously easy since none of them attack.

I have absolutely no idea who this is or what the reference is...

Easy fight, though. Amusingly both Villagers got unintentionally Star KOed.

I never played the game, but the movie was good. All the Pokémon designs were on point, and the movie in general just made me happy even though the ending was kind of obvious.

Anyway, this is a unique fight-as you can see, all four Pikachus look identical, and you have to either defeat the original or take out all four.

Easy as long as you keep up with the original.

That gets us a chest, but the prize is pretty much useless since I hopefully won't be using any Miis.

This would be annoying if I hadn't picked up a fog immunity.

Without the fog, it's straightforward.

Can't avoid this fight...

But it was pathetically easy for its power.

May as well push this, even though it's not super useful.

It does make getting around more convenient, but it's not as useful as it would have been earlier.

Haha, nope! Avoiding Pauline like the plague.
(Will note that I've seen the Peach in that fight SD a fair bit, and supposedly the Staff is very useful against her. Still not taking the risk.)

Speaking of edgy Sonic villains...

A little annoying, but not bad.

Weirdly enough, there are two of this guy-he also appears near where Pikachu was. And both have an overworld effect-the other one lets you use the boat I pointed out a while back.

Not bad as long as you can button mash to get out of the bus if he catches you.

Speaking of buses...

That is a weird name. Guessing the FE is for Fire Emblem?

Hehe, the Assist Trophy backfired on her~

You are gonna be incredibly helpful!

Just gotta get Little Mac out of the way.

The gym is open! It's a lot like a Pokémon daycare, but-and this is where it gets borderline OP-the spirits get stronger even when you're not playing or the Switch is off.

I didn't realize that at first-I knew they kept going if the Switch was off, but I thought if you played on a separate account it would freeze them, but when I reopened the file I saw I was wrong. I don't want to break the game completely, so I'm thinking about restricting it to where I can only leave spirits here as long as I'm playing the run and have to pull them out when I stop a play session. (Note that that would take effect next time since I already left these...)
Or do you think it's okay to leave them anyway? I'm not going to use a 10,000 power spirit against a 2000 power one because that's boring.

That conundrum aside, there's a couple more simple fights here.

Surprisingly they don't actually use Oil Panic...

Man there are some weird spirits in this game. What's next, a cardboard box?
(Spoiler alert: yes.)

Easy.

This one was more annoying, but still manageable.

I wasn't surprised they got in since I know Splatoon is very popular, although it's not my cup of tea.

And to be honest, the Inklings are some of my least favorite characters-I just think they're annoying, and honestly I considered skipping this fight completely. But who knows, maybe this run will change my opinion.

To the base!

This could be useful.

Fighting him so I can get the fighter behind him.

He put up a decent fight, but it wasn't too bad. I think I would have survived his Final Smash had he actually used it.

Pretty much who I expected-it was either him or Snake and I'm pretty sure Snake is in the base.

I was indifferent toward Mega Man for a long time, but since I started using him some I've grown to like him more. He's still annoying to fight against, though.

And that gets us into the base. We'll check it out next time.

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 161
Fighters alive: 26
Fighters lost: 1​

Next time, we explore the base and take on our second boss! Will another fighter fall, or will we escape unscathed?
Question of the update: Subspace or WoL? Also leaving last update's question open (favorite and/or least favorite Final Smashes).

Last edited:

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Don't really have much to comment on this time other than good job avoiding Paulina. That fight still gives me PTSD

hmmmmm that's tough. I think I prefer subspace cause it plays more like a Kirby Game. And I liked the fact that until the end you were restricted with which characters you could play as. It helped for trying out new characters and seeing if you liked them. That said I like the WoL bosses better so IDK.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Today we take on our second boss!

@hobohunter: Same-Pauline was easily top 10, if not top 5 hardest fights for me. She finally SDed one time and I lost my shit.
That's a really good point-I liked Subspace restricting you on characters too so you'd have to give most of them a chance. Also agree that the WoL bosses > Subspace bosses, although I'd happily take Rayquaza over Dracula...

Question: I honestly don't know if I have a preference-both Subspace and WoL have things I love (Subspace's story, WoL being challenging and chock-full of references) and things I have issues with (I wish Subspace was a little longer and I don't like that some stuff was only explained outside of the game, WoL gets into BS-tier a good bit and the Light Realm map is a pain to navigate).
But I enjoy both. I was so happy we got another story mode in Ultimate after there was nothing in 4.

Before we explore the base, we have some business to attend to-we have an abundance of Skill Spheres, so let's check out the Skill Tree again.

Since I had so many, I decided to take @SnackyTheSylph's advice and go for Double Final Smash since I've seen it come in handy for others. So I picked up:
Shield Damage ^
Endless Smash Holding
Transformation Duration ^
Healing-Item Attraction
Double Final Smash
Recovery Items ^
Fire/Explosion Resist ^
and Critical-Health Attack ^. Didn't realize I'd be able to pick up so many...

Anyway, now it's time to check out the base.

Music: Base

I approve of Subspace references. I would have killed for a sequel in Smash 4...that said, there's a certain fight with a Subspace character later on that I'm absolutely dreading...

I can only assume we're on Pokémon Stadium as a reference to the Midair Stadium.

Easy fight.

So the gimmick here involves these numbered doors that deactivate when you turn on various computers throughout the base, like the one on the right.

The first one opens the way to the second, as well as the fourth for some weird reason (in the room on the right). But we're just gonna go in order.

Although the second works a bit differently-each time you activate one switch, a spirit appears that you have to defeat before you can activate the switch behind it, and you have to activate all four to turn the computer on. But you only have to fight three of them if you start from one side.

I feel like I would have had nightmares about some of the monsters from the Metroid series had I played it as a kid...

See, Ridley wasn't too big for Smash!

And done.

This fight, though...I switched to Donkey for the extra bulk, thinking the Assist Trophy would be Ashley or maybe Pong...but it was fucking Sheriff. So it got ugly really fast, and it only got worse when the Incineroar nailed me with a perfectly-timed side-B. And with all the Boss Galagas around, it wasn't long before one caught me. I tried to button mash, but was around 75%...

And so Donkey got taken away to the great banana hoard in the sky...

Unlike Pit, I'm actually sad about losing Donkey-he was really useful. I don't know that I would have gotten past the Venusaur fight without him, and he pulled out a lot of other clutch wins. Plus I actually like him a lot, and I know he would have been handy later on since he could take a lot of hits.
The worst part is, something in my gut was telling me not to bother with that fight. But I didn't think it would be that bad...

I was really fucking salty after that...especially since I didn't have to do that fight in the first place since I started with the far-left switch. I thought about doing it again for revenge, but I didn't want to risk losing another fighter. Probably gonna come back and stomp them later.

At least you'll come in handy.

I took out some anger on him, and he got destroyed before the others even showed up. It was kind of cathartic.

(This was hard to screencap, but this is after I activated the last switch.)

Nope, not fighting you. This fight is ridiculous enough without Nuzlocke rules in play.
(It's actually really easy on the Spirit Board though, since you can just use a Weaken Minions and the Mega Men are totally neutered. Couple that with a spirit that heals when you KO someone and it's one of the easiest fights.)

Very nice find, especially since I'm almost out.

Why did they need to make a wireframe alt for Little Mac? It just reminds me of the Wire Frames from Melee and how fucking creepy they were...

Again with obnoxious Assist Trophies, but at least this fight was a success.

You would be useful if I didn't already have a spirit that blows up rocks.

Easy. The only annoying part is when I got surrounded and bobbled a few times.

Two Subspace references in one area! This thing had to be the biggest WTF moment though...I mean, who was expecting a bunch of Game & Watches to deform and make a big ass two-headed robot?

Well, that's not fair, especially since if you use the Ice Climbers and a giant spirit, only the front one is giant.

It actually got really ugly, and I started getting worried I was gonna lose my other heavyweight...

But Bowser pulled it off and lives to fight another day!

Third switch down.

I feel like Snake would have made more sense than Fox, but then again Snake doesn't actually use a gun in Smash, so I guess it's fine.

Not too bad, but I really need to find an electric immunity soon...

Switch number four, which is the last one we need in order to fight the boss. But there's a fighter behind switch five, so I'm going that way first.

Strangely, it's unguarded. And there's a chest before the fighter.

...This is both dumb and hilarious. Guess it could be useful, though.

The next fight is two R.O.B.s with Steel Divers, so I thought I could cheese it with Fox by reflecting. Decided to go ahead and max him out first.

It didn't quite go as intended, but it worked fine. And our next fighter is...

Obviously. I was actually a little worried since Snake is really annoying to fight against...

But he must have really wanted to be rescued, since he didn't put up much of a fight. I'm gonna be unpopular here-I've never been a big Snake fan, and I wasn't really bummed when he got cut in Smash 4, or overly happy that he's back. I don't hate him, but I've just never been able to use him at all.

Anyway, the path to the boss has another chest, with a solid prize. It'd be nice if they'd hand out more than one or two large Snacks at a time, though.

Boss time?

Nah, not yet. I was still a little shaky after losing Donkey, so I decided to buff a little more first.

And thanks to the gym, we have four enhanceable Spirits:

Which resets them to level 1, but gives each a solid new effect, and makes them more powerful at high levels.
(I didn't realize until after I finished playing that each is a different type...that was just a lucky coincidence.)

I figured every bit of power and an explosion resistance would come in handy for this boss. It's far less obvious who this one is, unless you played Brawl:

It's Galleom, back from Subspace and out for revenge!
(I loved that they brought a Subspace boss back for WoL. Although he was always one of the hardest ones to me...but here he was nowhere as bad as Giga Bowser was my first playthrough.)

Music: Galleom
(Ugh this was a pain to find because Youtube kept insisting on looking up Galeem's music instead...)

Got off to a solid start...

Most of his attacks aren't too bad since they're pretty heavily telegraphed. This one is why I wanted explosion resistance.

This uppercut is one of his strongest attacks. But he's powerless if you can get above and behind him.

The belly flop is arguably his other strongest move.

He also has a couple of new tricks-at low health (I want to say 1/4th or 1/3rd) he gets mad and faster. I'm not 100% sure, but he may get stronger as well. He can also grab you-that's where most of my damage came from.

But a claw to the face takes him down!

I kind of feel bad seeing him destroyed like that...

Like with Giga Bowser, we get a big pile of goodies. Still not sure why the spirit isn't at least a 3-star.

And with Galleom out of the way...

Galeem suffers another blow! One more and we'll be able to take him on!

...I honestly didn't expect to get this far when I started this run. I fully expected to wipe out early and have to restart, but now things are actually looking pretty good. I just hope it doesn't all go to shit later :ohdear:

I decided to clear out a little more of the map before heading to the east. This is one of the most unique fights in the game:

This Game & Watch is probably the tiniest enemy in any Smash game ever. He's so small that it's actually hard to hit him.

But when you do, he's done.

I actually completely forgot Master Hand blocks this off.

Not that it mattered.

But we can't use the pipe yet-unlike the gates in the city, these need to be powered on to open.

Back to the mountain. I don't really know why a Greninja is repping a Metal Gear robot, especially since it doesn't look anything like a frog.

Easy fight, though.

And thanks to ROB, now we can go to space.

In-flight snacks!

I'm not sure if I preferred Galaxy 1 or 2 more, but either way, a Galaxy 3 would be amazing.

Simple.

This fight was both stupid and absolutely hilarious. Since Ridley was metal, he just refused to go down, and he took so much damage that his FS meter maxed twice. I dodged the first one, but...

He nailed me with the second. But I figured I'd be okay since that was actually the first time he hit me the whole match.

Luckily I was right.

He ended up taking another 30% or so before he finally went down. I wasn't even mad because it was just so ridiculous that it was funny.

And that leads us to Falco!

I thought it was appropriate to use Fox to free his friend.

I feel like this would be the scene in an anime where the main character is fighting their possessed friend and gives a super emotional "I know you're in there" speech that helps them break free, or something like that.
...Man WoL or Subspace-hell, Smash in general-would make a killer movie/anime.

It ended up being arguably the longest unlock battle yet, but we pulled it off. And now I have all three of my favorite characters!
...I have a bad feeling at least one of them will die to something really stupid...hopefully I'm wrong though.

Man this area is beautiful.

Ugh, more invisibility?

It was still pretty easy.

I thought this fight might get ugly since Starman is a solid AT...

But it was surprisingly simple.

...So exactly how are there Kirby puppets when Kirby was never captured? According to Sakurai, Galeem analyzed Kirby at some point and made puppets based on that, but...that just seems flimsy to me. Maybe he unmasked Meta Knight and used him? Or captured a different Kirby somehow?
I don't know and it bugs me.

T-t-triple kill! Warp Stars are so good~

And then I just lightly kicked the last one off-screen.

He looks pleasant enough. I wonder how long it takes to find out he's secretly an Eldritch abomination?

Not hard.

More nope. As much as I like Geno, no way am I doing this fight.

One or two more fights and we'll have all of Star Fox back together! (Except Krystal because fuck that fight.)

Unlike the ROB fight, I couldn't get rid of him before they showed up.

It all worked out, though.

I should probably use one of these at some point, but...I don't really know what would be a good bet. Any suggestions are welcome!

I think I like the Arwing's design better, but it looks cool anyway.

Luckily he went down before it could get ugly.

With that fight done, we're actually within striking distance of Galeem. But obviously we still have one more boss and a Master Hand to take out first...so we'll stop here for now.

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 182
Fighters alive: 27
Fighters lost: 2​

I'm dumb and forgot to take a roster screenshot until later, so I decided to borrow the one I took when I stopped playing for the night (which covers Part 10 also) and work with it:

(If anyone guesses which fighters I unlock next time, you get a cookie. Changed the Xs to red because I thought it popped more.)

Next time, we head into the creepy forest and the Power Plant.
Question of the update: your favorite and/or least favorite Assist Trophies?

SnackyTheSylph

a weapon to surpass metal gear
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
I wonder how many, if any, of the spirit battles were designed because the team was like, "we don't have enough spirit battles where you fight this fighter".
Maybe Galeem made the Kirby spirit battles by using Keeby.

QotU: I really don't like all of those assist trophies that just make it hard to play the game - I think of Nightmare, Skull Kid, and Nintendog. They aren't really fun.
I don't know if there are any assist trophies that I actually like, to be honest...all of them I just think of them being used against be, and shudder. I'm glad Shovel Knight is in the game, though.

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Capable of casually moving faster than the speed of sound. His top speed is unknown, though some theorise it to be faster than light itself.
Favourite Character: Leaning towards Hero. He's a cheesy, RNG-laden mess and I love it. There is no character I find more raw, unadulterated fun in playing than Hero, even if I'm better with characters like Banjo or Byleth.
Least Favourite Character: Little Mac. What else needs to be said? Worst character in the game. At least Chrom has actually usable aerials! If I'm talking about characters I hate to face, though, then it's actually a three way tie: I HATE fighting the PSI Kids (Ness and Lucas) and Snake.

Favourite Stage: Gotta be Mementos. Not only is it amazing how they made such a normally dark area so aesthetically pleasing, but of COURSE the god damn music. You'll never see it comiiiiing- *shot*
Least Favourite Stage: GREAT. CAVE. OFFENSIVE. Enough said.

Favourite Item: It's a toss-up between Assist Trophies and Poke Balls (including Master Balls), for the neat references they provide.
Least Favourite Item: Fake Smash Ball.

Who I would add to Smash: Touhou Project's Reimu Hakurei. She's a legacy character and an indie rep, all wrapped up into a package full of moveset potential (and then some). She'd also represent shmups, a genre that Sakurai has yet to represent in Smash (despite being what got him into game development to begin with- note how each Kirby game has a shmup section!) And of course, Touhou Music is amazing. No, seriously. While Reimu hasn't officially been on Nintendo Consoles, there is a Switch port of the most recent fighting game, Antinomy of Common Flowers in the works. And ZUN himself (That's the creator of Touhou, by the way) has expressed an interest in getting Touhou representation into Smash.

Favourite Assist Trophy: It's tough to say. Leaning towards Rathalos or Shovel Knight, though. It's a neat bit of representation nobody expected.
Least Favourite Assist Trophy: Basically any that affects the screen. To that end I can think of a few I could call least favourite, like Squid Sisters, Nightmare, Skull Kid or Nintendog.

Speaking of that one last boss in the World of Light (By that I mean the first world), it is in my opinion the best designed boss of the bunch, simply because it's a love letter to fans of the series it comes from.

Last edited:

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
oof that's rough about DK. Sorry to hear it. Yeah 9-Volt and 18-Volt took me so many tries when I played this. The Sheriff is a monster.

As for why there's a wireframe Little Mac, it's a reference to Punch Out! on the arcade, which came out at the same time as the NES version. In the arcade version, he had a wireframe body. Hence why he has the costume here.

Favorite Assist Trophy is easy. I'll be going against the grain of the other answers and say Mr. Resetti. It was hilarious that he would show up and start talking and just disrupt the whole fight complaining about what you're doing. And then if you attacked him he got even more annoyed and talked longer. It was always really funny to have him show up. It's a damn shame he was cut from smash 4 and Ultimate.

Least favorite is much tougher. Maybe Mr. Wright from Sim City? Nothing really against him but I don't think I've ever seen him actually hurt someone in the millions of times he's been summoned in my games. I dunno. There's no assist trophy I actively DON'T like ya know?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)