• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

Screenshot Let's Play General A World of Light Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Hard Mode (Updated 9/30)

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Welcome to my first project on the new forums!

So next to Pokémon, Smash Bros. is my favorite game franchise of all time, and Ultimate may be my favorite game of the series-I've sank what's probably an unhealthy amount of time into it.
The story mode, World of Light, is polarizing, though-some people (like me) really enjoyed it, while others weren't fans for various reasons (mainly because it's not as story-driven as Subspace Emissary was in Brawl). While I do wish there had been a little more story in WoL, I still enjoyed myself. But it's such a long mode that after 100%ing it once (and then again under New Game+), I wasn't sure how much I wanted to play it again...

And then Youtubers combined it with Nuzlocke rules. Needless to say, I loved the idea, and wanted to try it myself. So here we go!

The only real rule is the obvious one: if a fighter is lost in battle, they are "dead" and unusable for the rest of the run. If I run out of fighters, it's game over and I have to restart. And yes, I started this run on a separate account from my original one so that I don't have any OP spirits at the beginning, because that'd be too easy (except maybe not because World of Light is hard, even on New Game+).
Note: I'm not going for 100% because there are some ridiculously hard fights and I don't think risking my fighters would be worth it. So I highly doubt we'll be rescuing every fighter, unfortunately...
Finally, this is mainly going to be a commentary run, but I *may* try to work some story in at parts. And I'll link videos to the game's story as we go along (unfortunately, I don't have a way to take video myself).

So here's how our story begins:

Anyone who played Brawl can obviously draw comparisons to the ending of Subspace...personally, I like the idea of it being the same cliff, but I don't really know if it makes sense. I'm not going to weigh in on the "Kirby being the sole survivor because he's Sakurai's favorite" debate because honestly, I think it makes sense to have an easy to pick up character as the starter.
(Unrelated, but imagine how Kirby must feel in this moment...as heartbreaking as the opening is for us as players, imagine being in his shoes...)

Anyway, so Kirby's our only character for now, which means if I lose any of the first few fights, the run's over before it really begins...luckily, these fights are pretty easy.

But it's a long, long, road to Galeem...

Music: World of Light Prologue

Also, proof that this is a new file:

My main file on the left, this one on the right. The game automatically gives you one Spirit on startup.

First battle!

One thing I love about WoL is all the references from different games. Like, the Smoky Progg was only in the original Pikmin, so for it to randomly be a Spirit is kind of cool.

First victory!

The good news is, as you win battles, you unlock new spirits for use. Your primary spirits also get stronger, and you get various items that will be handy moving forward.

Three on one sounds scary, but luckily this is another easy fight.

But every little edge helps, especially when I only have one character.

I kind of wish they had referenced all 8 Eeveelutions in this fight. But then again, an 8-on-1 this early wouldn't be fair...however, Yoshi has enough alts it almost works (purple = Espeon, green = Leafeon, light blue = Glaceon, pink = Sylveon). Ironically, he had a black alt in Smash 4 that would have worked for Umbreon, but they cut it for a Crafted World alt.
(Also yes I changed Kirby's alt, I like green Kirby more.)

Anyway, another win.

Next fight! This might seem scary because I'm at a power disadvantage...

But Jigglypuff doesn't attack, she just tries to hit you with Rest, so it's easy. I only got damaged by being a dumbass and stepping on a Motion Sensor Bomb I threw (fail attempt at baiting her).

And here's our first fighter battle! So as long as I don't die, this won't be a solorun anymore...

Luckily, fighter unlock battles don't have any conditions, they're just straight up one-on-one fights on Final Destination/Omega form stages. Some of the conditions get ridiculous later on...

Yay, now we have two fighters! (Fun fact: Kirby is the only character without a "[name] joins the battle!" screen.)

Next battle!

I like Mario a little more than Kirby (I'll get into my favorite and least favorite characters later), and I figure some variety is nice, so I switched.

And done. Admittedly, I was a little worried at the beginning, but the R. O. B. is surprisingly weak for being giant.

Now we have a choice to make:

Do we rescue Marth, Sheik, or Villager, and which way should we go? I'm gonna stop here and let you decide for me. Note: the other two characters will be unobtainable for quite a while.
(If you're curious, I went for Marth in my first playthrough and Villager when I did New Game+. Haven't gone with Sheik yet.)

Next time, we choose our path forward. Don't worry, future updates will be longer-just had to get things started.

Last edited:

SweatingCalendar

Alligator lizards in the air, in the aaaaaiiiiiirr
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 24, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Pokédex Entry
Pokémon[a] is a series of video games developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company as part of the Pokémon media franchise
This is a really cool idea! Im curious on how your going to handle the bosses cause some of them are a real pain (*cough* Dracula *cough*)

While the Villager is a fearless tyrant with its bug net of doom, ninjas have an inherent cool factor to them so my vote is Shiek.

Violenceman

The Night Time Nuzlocker
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Scourge of the underworld, boon to the bandage industry
I like this idea! Should be a lot of fun.

I vote Marth; couldn't hurt to have a strong melee-focused fighter on the team.

DestinyDragonGS

Plays way too many Fighting games
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
Dammit I was thinking of doing a World of Light run. To be fair thought I gave up on the idea because doing a screenshot run would have been a pain in the ass and I would have needed a co commentator for a video run I'd say go with Marth as he's a good all around fighter who doesn't suffer too much against most characters. Anyways I see this is what you casually took the SD card information for. Good luck I pray you are really good at this game and can get 10 characters extremely fast so you can unlock all the DLC characters

nuzthemonkey

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 31, 2019
wait this is so frickin awesome! You’re commentary is always top notch and you’re playing WOL, a game mode I consider underrated. I vote for Sheik since you haven’t tried her yet.

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
this is pretty awesome. Good luck to you though, I'm not nearly good enough at smash to do this.

hmmmmmm I vote go Shiek. Sounds fun

Kira

Polaris Leader
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 15, 2019
Pokémon Type
Ice
Pokédex Entry
Impossibly Argumentative with a one track mind. Despises the fairy type.
Shiek Math and Shiek are semi similar in a broad sense but shiek is faster and has better utility in their moveset (recovery)

and can be a god send in certain later missions where cheesing out the AI is nearly necessary

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, thank you guys so much! I'm really excited that people are eager to see how this goes!

@SweatingCalendar: Don't remind me of Dracula *sob*
Him and Giga Bowser are the fights I'm most scared of...

@Violenceman: That's a good point, especially since I have a neutral and an air fighter.

@DestinyDragonGS: Hey, you can do one also-we can suffer take it on together!
Screenshotting hasn't been too bad-I'm just glad it's possible because I really didn't want to do a written log (thanks for the info btw!) I would have done video, but I don't have a way to and my voice is awful...wouldn't mind being a co-commentator though.
Oh, good point! Especially since I'm open to using them even though most of the Youtubers don't.

@nuzthemonkey: I'm really glad you enjoy my commentary, and yay, I'm not the only one who thinks WoL is underrated!

@hobohunter: Ehh, I don't really think I'm too good at Smash-you're probably better than me.

@Kira: That's another good point, goodness knows cheesing the AI is going to be huge later...

So I decided to add one extra rule: any fighter I unlock must be used in at least one battle. This way I can't prevent certain characters from being lost by simply not using them, and so that I have to use more than just my main few.

And now, the real game begins...

When I sat down to play (which was a couple days ago), we had a tie between Marth and Sheik, so I flipped a coin, and...

Marth it is! (If I have to restart, I'll go down Sheik's route.)

And we're up to three! (Also, this may be unpopular, but I'm okay with Marth speaking English now. Although I do miss his old taunt somewhat...)

Unfortunately, Master Hand doesn't like that, and blocks off the other two.

So with our path set, on we go...

Easy fight, since Zelda just spams Din's Fire and Richter did basically nothing.

But we can't go this way, either. (Which is one thing that annoys me about WoL-the first map is a pain to get around because there are so many roadblocks.)

So we have to go the long way around. But we're nowhere near ready for this power...

Luckily, we have a type advantage and snacks to boost our spirits, and it ended up being an easy fight.

Fights like this are pretty easy, as long as you can wait out the Poké Ball summon.

And when they don't do much beyond spamming neutral-B.

I was worried when I saw this fight only gives you 20 seconds. But it was easier than I expected.

Which brings us to a chest!

These will come in handy once we unlock a shop, or if I need to give a spirit a big boost.

Do you think we'll ever see Kammy Koopa again? She vanished after TTYD...but her spirit will come in handy soon.

Invisibility is one of the most aggravating conditions, especially when it affects you as well...

Thankfully Bayonetta got nerfed to hell since Smash 4.

This fight would be worse if it was low gravity-floating all over the stage is a pain.

This effect is so satisfying! One of my favorite additions to Ultimate, even though it doesn't always mean a win.

(But it did.)

Our first Master Spirit! It sounds threatening, but the name is kind of a misnomer IMO-they aren't OP spirits.

In fact, Charlie may be one of the weakest of all.

The handy part is, you can leave some of your spirits with him, and when they're finished exploring, they gain a good bit of power and you get some items. So I leave a few here and continue on.

This may be bad, because I don't have a lava-resist yet...

Good thing I have a solid air fighter! (and that it only affects the bottom platform...)

Honestly, the most annoying thing may have been Robin's voice. (IMO, male Robin > female Robin.)

Immediately after that is a fight with sticky floors, which again, I don't have a resistance to yet.

...Is it supposed to be glue? Whatever it is, you don't want to be in it if you can avoid it.

It wasn't too bad, though.

But I don't think a spirit with a negative ability is going to be much use. Guess I'll just send him to Charlie over and over again.

Well, this is bad. Gold fighters are powerful...

...when they want to attack.

...Guess I should have gone this way first...

Choices!

The chest gives us a solid prize, but Brittany is way too strong for us right now. Luckily she only blocks us from a direct route back to the start.

I can't decide if I like or hate this aspect-it makes sense, but it can be severely frustrating when the spirit you need is halfway across the map (or when you don't know what spirit you need to begin with.)

But anyway, with Kammy's help, we can reach another fighter!

And we're up to four!

It seems like every fighter battle gives you 10 Skill Spheres. They'll come in handy soon enough.
(Embarrassing confession: I kept forgetting the Skill Tree existed the first time I played...maybe that's part of why it was so hard? Definitely won't forget this time.)

Clearing out some easy fights for EXP and items, then we head southeast. There's a boat-maybe it'll take us somewhere?

I swear, they picked the most random Pokémon to have spirits. You would think they would've added Sirfetch'd when they had that Gen 8 event a couple weeks ago...

Some spirits don't allow you to equip supports. But they usually make up for it in power or effect.

Simple enough.

I'm pretty sure one of us is capable of using a boat...but if you insist, game.

At least this path gets us another fighter.

Was this game any good? To me it looks like Fire Emblem but with Mario characters, and I'm not a fan of the Rabbids...but I do enjoy the Mario RPGs.

...He rolled left and died! I love it when the AI utterly derps hard. So who's our next fighter?

...Yay? I have to be honest, I'm not a Pac-Man fan. But every fighter helps.

Now we're five strong, and who knows, maybe he'll save the run (and at least I won't forget I have him until getting to the Dark Realm.)

But this draws Galeem's attention! Are we doomed?

No, for some reason he signals that this is a boss area. It's not far from us, either.

But the road north is way too hard for us right now...

So we'll take the south path instead.

I didn't notice at first, but they're smaller than the Pikmin!

A messy, but easy fight.

Working our way toward the base...

As I said, I have to use every fighter I unlock.

She went out before her relief even made it! Things are really going smoothly!

This fight, though...

It seems simple enough, right? Diddy's tiny and Isabelle isn't much of a threat, right?

WRONG. There are Hocotate Bombs everywhere, which can easily carry you offstage, and Isabelle puts up a surprisingly tough fight. I honestly expected to lose Pac-Man here, especially once she got a Final Smash...(also, the taunt was a misclick.)

But I managed to dodge her, and my own kicked in right after, which got us the win. Not gonna lie, I needed a second to calm myself after.

Last fight before the base!

This is another chaotic fight-Snake is annoying already, and multiple of him just make things worse. Dr. Mario isn't so bad, though.

Things got messy pretty quick, and all the explosives and Fake Smash Balls flying around didn't help in the least. Although it's nice when the CPUs blow themselves up with them.

But with some luck, and another well-timed Final Smash, it all worked out, and we can reach the base. (I'm not sure, but I think my damage was at or close to 100%, so good thing it ended when it did...)

But we can't go in yet...so we'll stop here for now.

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 27
Fighters alive: 5
Fighters lost: 0​

Next time, we continue our roundabout journey around the base.

Something else I decided to start up as we go along: questions of the update!
First one's a double since I just had the idea: who are your favorite and least favorite playable characters?

Last edited:

SweatingCalendar

Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 24, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Pokédex Entry
Pokémon[a] is a series of video games developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company as part of the Pokémon media franchise
Seeing some of these fights again remind me how crazy they really were, lava floor, temp. invincibility, opponent can't flinch, time limits, etc. Out of curiosity do you have a vague path figured out or are you winging it?

My favorite fighter is adult Link as he is the only character I've manage to be good with online with his hard hitting attacks (though his attack delay time can be pretty frustrating).
My least favorite fighter is Dark Pit, its the same character but with a black robe! They could've just made him an alt costume!

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Man I remember that Isabelle fight. It was super tough.

Favorite fighter is definitely Banjo. I was super pumped during the trailer the whole time. After years and years and years of me wanting him in he finally gets in.
Least favorite is... uhhh I dunno. I don't mind echo fighters cause I'm always a fan of the more the merrier. I dunno maybe Dark Pit as well? Cause like, ignoring the echo fighters, did KI really need a third rep? I dunno, that's a stretch though. I certainly don't dislike any fighters in the game.

DestinyDragonGS

Plays way too many Fighting games
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
My issue with doing a video run is because I tend to be extremely quiet. So I would need a co commentator to bounce off of or else there would be long stretches of me saying absolutely nothing. Maybe I should bug you about it sometime

I'm pretty sure everyone who's not a sub purist stopped giving a shit about the voice change after a month tops (and the aforementioned purists are probably playing with JP voices on all the characters anyways so not really sure how much to factor them in). I personally like Marth's new voice for two reasons.

1.It seems to fit him pretty well as a character
2.I like hearing what characters say mid battle in fighting games

Is it the best voice ever? No. But it does the job well enough.

I never use the skill tree in WoL. Don't really know why. Just never feel the need.

Welp time to break out your video game history books to find out what specific spirits will just so happen to get you out of whatever situation you're in.

Favorite is without question Terry "ARE YOU OK!?" Bogard. They could not have done him any better. Although interestingly enough he plays more like a BlazBlue character then he does a Fatal Fury or King of Fighters character.

Don't really have have a problem with anyone except maybe Sans but that's more of my disdain for Undertale's fucked up morality system then anything else so I'd say that's stretching it by quite a bit

Argentum

My avatar is in fact a dude.
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He, Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
A passionate bunch, Argentums are limited by their own minds. Who knows what happens when they break through their mental barriers?
Sure, WoL is the first time I have played a story mode in smash (heck Ultimate is the only SSB game I own.) but I enjoyed it. Also thanks to you I’m tempted to try a 100% Hard Mode WoL nuzlocke... Then again I’m very casual so that may not go well.

Also my favourite either has to be Incineroar (if that wasn’t obvious) or the Mii fighters. Idk, I used them a lot in WoL to the point they’re basically my mains now.

My least favourite? Probably Peach because I remember one spirit battle from WoL (I believe it was Pauline) I spent days trying to complete it and it was just so goddamn infuriating. Bowser and Mario were alright, but Peach is literally just the worst in that fight.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
So this update had a lot more screenshots than I realized, so I decided I'd split it in two.

@SweatingCalendar: Yeah, some of the conditions are pretty crazy, especially once we get farther...I swear some of the late-game ones are just meant to screw the player over.
I kind of have a path in mind, but it's not set in stone yet. Hopefully there won't be too many BS-tier roadblock fights...
Wholeheartedly agree about Dark Pit-I still don't see why he wasn't just a Pit alt back in 4. Link is cool though, even though I've never used him much.

@hobohunter: I was really surprised that fight was so rough...I guess we should never underestimate Isabelle?
YES on Banjo-I was internally losing my mind when I found out he was getting in, and the only thing keeping me calm was that I was at work at the time. I'd been wanting him in for 20 years...
I like the Echo Fighter concept too, but I agree about Dark Pit-I don't really think the series needed three characters either.

@DestinyDragonGS: That's a fair point, although being quiet in a video isn't necessarily bad-I've seen some Youtubers use text commentary, and it works really well.
I don't really talk much in real life, but I have a habit of thinking out loud when I'm playing...maybe we would make a good team.
Agree on Marth's voice-I don't really see why it was a big deal.
I have a feeling I'm gonna be consulting SmashWiki a good bit throughout the run to figure out what I need...
Terry is pretty cool, although I haven't had the chance to play with him much yet. And I'm kind of glad they didn't actually put Sans in and just made a costume, although he wouldn't bother me too much (agree about Undertale's morality system though.)

@Aureum: If you ever get the chance, definitely pick up Brawl and run through Subspace-it's epic.
100% on Hard mode? You're braver than I am...
Incineroar is one of my favorites too-I love his personality. Never used a Mii though, but I won't be surprised if I need to later on...
Oh man, Pauline...I don't even want to think about that fight. Definitely not bothering with her unless I absolutely have to.

Question from last update: my favorite characters are Falco (I love his character/personality, and I've always enjoyed using him) and Lucario (he ties for my favorite Pokémon, and the aura mechanic was a really neat addition). Yoshi is a very close third.
Least favorite...ugh, this changes all the time, but I'd say either regular Pit (one of the most annoying characters ever, and why did his series specifically get so much extra stuff in Smash 4? Although it is neat that him getting in Brawl resurrected his series) or one of Young/Toon Link (do we really need both of them?). Not a Villager or Inkling fan either.

So our first order of business is picking up our spirits and spoils from Charlie:

...Unfortunately, most of these are Spirit Board items, so not much help there. But at least they got a lot of levels (Charlotte was level 36, and the other three were all level 1)!

I leave him a few others, and we continue on. Since we can't get into the base, we'll have to go around...

Little Mac with buffed jumps actually sounds decent. Maybe he'd actually be usable if they'd do that in the main game?

...Or he might just be trash regardless.

This pillar is one of the more infuriating obstacles, simply because it-and a few others-only go away when the game says. It'd be one thing if a Spirit cleared it away...

Into the forest we go! This button is the priority, but I'd rather explore first.

...Why Diddy instead of Young Link?

Pretty fun fight, though, especially if you have an item-gravitation Spirit. He survived this, though...

But didn't survive another.

There's a lot of paths in the forest. My goal is to free that fighter, then work my way around to the button.

Fights like these are fun because you flatten the opponents so easily (even more so on the Spirit Board, because you can just use a Health Drain and don't even have to do anything). Fitting since Pikmin die so easily...am I the only one who gets sad any time a Pikmin dies, especially in their series?

Easy fight, but the Incineroars like to hang out on the bottom, which is how I got damaged as much as I did.

Oh, hi Master Hand. Blocking another path?

That's fine with me, because if I remember right, that spirit is arguably the most BS fight in all of WoL-It's a Zero Suit Samus in a timed Stamina battle with a poison floor, and she gets extra defense after losing maybe 30 HP (and she starts with 180). I think that was the fight I struggled against most in my first playthrough...I think I finally gave up and ended up Kirbyciding her?
Needless to say, we won't be doing that fight.

Instead, let's save Donkey Kong!

You know, using a light character against a heavy may have been a bad idea...

But it all worked out, and we're up to six!

Pretty sure this is supposed to be Donkey's treehouse from DKC or DK64. Again, I love all the references in the game-it really shows the effort they put into it.

Our first of about 40 Mega Man battles!

These are also pretty fun, at least right now. Some of the later ones get into BS tier, though...looking at you, Dr. Wily. Thankfully that's not a required fight.

This is just to show how big this map is, and how far we have to go, as well as all the blocked paths.

I missed the pre-battle screen, sorry...

Easy fight, though. Being slow doesn't really hurt you here-just let him come to you.

Working my way toward that button...also that Spirit by the cave is not a Master, but it's still pretty strong.

Fights like these seem easy on the surface, but 9 times out of 10 you end up having to KO the backups anyway.

I usually like normal stages over their Battlefield/Omega forms, but Gaur Plain is an exception. Metal Face is the only thing about the normal stage I like.

Easy enough. Palutena was more annoying than anything, especially since I didn't have to KO her.

So I was going to go ahead and clear this fight to reach the button...but fighting a giant Ivysaur a good bit stronger than any of my Spirits (4500 power) worried me...

So I decided to clear some other fights first. This one was easy, even though he's immune to burying (the fight has lots of Pitfalls).

It might look like I tried to style on him, but I didn't-that's not how I play, especially in a Nuzlocke, it's way too risky. I've seen too many people throw away characters unnecessarily trying to disrespect, which in some cases cost them the run. I guess it's entertaining, but...
(I could rant about that, which would end up getting on the subject of Pokémon Youtubers who do Nuzlockes, but that's for another topic.)

Not sure how I got through this fight with zero damage. It's not hard, but 4-on-1?

It's hard to see, but there's another Master Spirit behind this fight.

...Stop trying to flirt, Wendy, you are not attractive.

Simple, and hehe, I stole one of the Rocket Belts~

Here we are!

This guy makes me uncomfortable and I don't know why...

Nailing them both with Beetles was incredibly satisfying!
Also, put some clothes on, Shulk.

Freeing Beedle opens our first shop! So now we can buy new Spirits, snacks, and even Skill Spheres...but I don't see anything too handy right now. We'll check in from time to time.

Trying to get to the chest...

I miss Wrinkly Kong, she was so sweet 😢

Another simple fight. Going back toward the cave in case there's something else I can use before fighting Venusaur:

I read there was a big fuss back in the Smash 4 days about a leak that claimed Rayman was going to get in. Of course, it was fake...which would make it utterly hilarious if he were to get in now.
(Also this fight is way too tough for us now...and it doesn't really help us progress.)

So after handing out snacks, I guess it's time to take on Venusaur...

Sure, he's not much bigger than Donkey, but he's got great range and a super strong up smash, and the floor is poison...I was definitely scared.

...But everything went better than expected!

This is like my 9th Spirit with a fire weakness.

We push the button...

...which takes us to the northwest corner of the map, and deactivates a barrier in front of this portal. It'll be a while before we get there, though.

One more fight before the city!

Seems simple, right?

It was, but that dash attack racks up damage quickly.

The important thing is, it gets us to the outside of the city. We'll head into it next time.

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 43
Fighters alive: 6

Next time, we check out the city, and get closer to that 10 character mark.
Question of the update: do you have a favorite and/or least favorite stage in the series?
Also, something I've been curious about, do we have any kind of Smash discussion groups besides the one thread?

Last edited:

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Don't tell Shulk to put his clothes back on! He can do what he wants!

I struggled super hard with the Rayman fight. That, Dr. Wily, and Pauline were the ones I had the hardest times with (I cheesed The Boss with Donkey Kong)

Favorite Stage: This is very tough. N64 Dream Land's a classic. Also love Fountain of Dreams and Poke Floats (Still pissed that's on in). For Ultimate. I think my favorite one so far is Mementos.

Least Favorite: No question. It's Great Cave Offensive. It's wayyyyy too big. Even for 8 players. It just makes the stage annoying and unfun.

As for Discussion: I hosted a Smash tournament on the forums a while back, and while the tournament's definitely gone inactive, people still are talking about smash and doing friendlies and stuff on the discord I made. Here's a link if you're interested.

SweatingCalendar

Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 24, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Pokédex Entry
That's fine with me, because if I remember right, that spirit is arguably the most BS fight in all of WoL-It's a Zero Suit Samus in a timed Stamina battle with a poison floor, and she gets extra defense after losing maybe 30 HP (and she starts with 180).
*Vietnam flashbacks*

Yeah I dont blame you for skipping that one. Its the worst.

My favourite stage is the pokemon stadium stage cause well...Im a huge nerd :sweatdrop:

My least favorite are any stage where the screen and stage move throughout the fight. Its too much for me to pay attention to.

nuzthemonkey

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 31, 2019
The BOTW stage is super fun to play on, and the music is a knockout.

Meanwhile, 75m. Yeah. Fuck that stage, fuck Pauline and fuck that spirit battle.

Also for the previous question...

At the moment, I main Chrom and Fox, and play a lot of Bowser, Wolf and Pokemon Trainer.

I hate Olimar and Isabelle. I hate playing them, I hate playing as them and I hate their projectiles.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
On we go!

@hobohunter: Tbh I don't really care what he does, I just wonder why he has a half-naked alt...why fanservice 😔
Oh man, those are all horrible fights. Luckily I don't *think* any of them are required? I hope not...
Those are all cool stages! And now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind a Poké Floats 2 now that there's another 600 Pokémon.
Definitely agree on Great Cave Offensive, too-I feel like it could have been good if it weren't so damn big. Even the other massive stages aren't that big...
Oh, nice! I'll definitely check it out later, thanks for the link!

@SweatingCalendar: Thank goodness it's an optional fight, I don't think this run would be doable if it was required (100% would for sure be impossible)...
Hey, nothing wrong with that-both Pokémon Stadiums are cool (especially 2 since it has Pokémon in the background).
And I agree, moving stages are pretty annoying, especially when there's 4+ fighters-it gets way too messy.

@nuzthemonkey: I like Great Plateau Tower too, and I'm not even a Zelda fan.
I get why people hate 75m (and agree wholeheartedly about Pauline), although I have to admit I actually don't mind the stage itself...*puts up shield*
Hey, we have pretty similar taste in characters!

Question: there's a lot of stages I like, but my favorite would probably be one of Spear Pillar, either Unova or Kalos Pokémon League, or Corneria/Sector Z. They're all lovely aesthetically, and all are satisfying to fight on with interesting-but not overpowering-stage effects. I also like Boxing Ring for a reason I'll mention in the update.
Least favorite is Pac-Land, because it's garish as hell and a pain in the ass to fight on. Pac-Maze was a much better Pac-Man stage, why couldn't it have been in Ultimate instead?
Great Cave Offensive is a close second, since it's way too big. I like the concept, though...if it were about 70% smaller I feel like it could work.

So what's waiting for us in the city?

Oh, that's a good start...a giant Little Mac is one of the scariest things in WoL, especially on a stage where he doesn't need to recover...

He wasn't too bad, though. Also, one thing I love about the Boxing Ring is the character titles that pop up on the jumbotron-a lot of them are creative or funny. Here's a list.

...Nope, not going this way yet.

Luckily it's much easier to get around than the real Lumiose City...

Again, I love all the references like the Gamecube, the N64 "N"...it just shows how much effort was put into the game. Also there's a building on the left that will be incredibly handy once we unlock it.

Anyway, getting back on track...

I'm not sure if this is hilarious or a nightmare.

Clearly the name didn't get changed for us in the States...

Simple enough.

Also not too bad, although I still maintain that Snake is one of the most annoying fighters.

My goal is to make a path through and pick up that fighter along the way.

Well, this could be annoying...

(It actually wasn't.)

Our first enhanceable spirit! These take twice as many snacks/fights to level up, but they're incredibly powerful.

There's our second button, along with another fighter.

This fight is one of the scariest in a locke. It looks simple though-serious damage sounds bad, but it's usually around 50%, so if you're careful, it's pretty manageable, right?

NOPE.
Instant 999%! Naturally I freaked and tried to stay the hell away, because if he fired his laser, Marth would be dead.

...I love the Rage Blaster so damn much.

Now who's our next fighter?

I like Wii Fit Trainer more than a lot of people, even though I do think she/they were a big WTF addition. It's a good thing the Wii Fit developers asked that they have more defined faces in Ultimate...also, the female has one of the funniest knockback yells of any character IMO.

Seven strong! Also female Trainer > male Trainer, at least for me.

:psyduck:

Screen flip and reverse controls are two of my least favorite conditions...which is why Palkia and the Skull Kid are two of the most annoying summons in battles.

Luckily we just got a counter.

Squirtle put up a solid fight, though.

Unfortunately, we're not strong enough to take on Bomberman yet, which sucks because that would open up a very helpful Master Spirit...

Maybe the other way will work better...but for now, we'll clear more of the city.

Easy enough, although I tried to stay near the middle so I didn't accidentally run off stage., until I went for the KO.

This opens our first dojo! But I'm not sure a "lightweight style" is a good idea for this run. Maybe later?

We have more pressing matters to attend to, though.

This fight was hilarious, because I just spammed Sun Salutation and Header while he taunted a bunch and never really moved.

Fun fact: I believe this is the weakest Spirit in the entire game.

As much as I want to go clear out more of the city and see if I can unlock that Master Spirit, that fighter is first priority.

Morton is probably my least favorite Koopaling. Color Splash made him hilarious though, since he was an idiot in that game.

Not a hard fight.

Next fighter:

Not who I expected (for some reason, I thought this was Yoshi), but I'll take him, even though normal Mario might be "better". Still not 100% sure Dr. Mario should have stayed separate from Mario, but meh.

Getting close to that 10 character mark!

I was originally going to continue along this path...

...but I wanted to find the third button first, and I think I remember it being this way. Also, I think some of my favorite fighters are down this path.

...I don't know much about Animal Crossing, but swords don't feel very fitting for this fight...I see her scissors, but that's a pretty big jump...

Easy.

...Ew.

Simple as long as you get to the food first.

I feel like this should have been a 2-on-1, but I don't know which other character I would have used...

A little tougher, but still manageable.

Oh great, he's gonna spam arrows. But at least this isn't Brawl and he's not spamming side-B.

Pumping some levels into her since she's enhanceable...

And done. One of them utterly failed his recovery by flying over the stage and falling off the other side-I was laughing pretty hard for a minute.

There's the third button, along with several more fighters.

We're actually making some decent progress, although I swear this map is confusing as hell to get around sometimes.

This could be annoying...

It wasn't, especially since I Caped a bunch of his attacks back at him.

Why does he buff Lucario's aura when you equip him, when he was buffing magic in the fight? I don't get it...but I think I remember Lucario being close by?

Yay, I was right! And now that last spirit makes sense.

I wanted to take him out fast before he had a chance to attack me, because I did not want to deal with a buffed Lucario. And we're up to nine!
Unfortunately, even though he's one of my favorite characters, I probably won't use him a lot since I'm trying to avoid damage as much as possible and that means he won't have a lot of power, but it's a personal victory.

Galeem is pissed, though...

...or he's signaling another boss area. Also, interesting note: the music changes around this point.

Music: World of Light (March)

I'm not sure what triggers the music change, but it's a nice shift-IMO this version gets you more pumped up to continue. Anyway,

You'll come in handy later.

Easy, but Bowser took a beating, though-he was over 160% before I KOed him. I know he's one of the heaviest characters, but yeesh.

So what's on the other side of the chasm?

...I guess we won't find out yet...
This was one of the most frustrating things for me the first time I played WoL. I couldn't figure out what to do, and there weren't any online walkthroughs/Youtube playthroughs yet (Ultimate had only been out about a month), so I got stuck for a while. I guess I missed the cut to the portal, so it didn't click that it was important...
So since we can't go east yet, we'll head north.

One more fight and we can reach the button...

Well, this might get messy...

But it wasn't too bad. Again, the Cape was pretty handy.

Two barriers down! We'll get to the third one next time.

Game stats:
Fights cleared: 62
Fighters alive: 9

Next time: we head for that third button, and hopefully reach that 10 character mark.
Question of the update: what's your favorite and least favorite item in the series?

Last edited:

War Anvil

Life is too short to be little.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Cool, Cute
Pokédex Entry
I like your Sakurai, but not your players. Your players are so unlike your Sakurai.
Aside from summons? I feel the Home-Run Bat is my favorite. You just gotta time it and not make excuses, and BAM. Universal insta-effin'-kill on whomever you hit during your swing! Bumpers get an honorable mention from the pinball junkie in me.

The Beehive barely edges out as my least favorite because...well, let's face it. It always makes your strings feel naff.

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Gotta go with Assist Trophy on this one. I love that they're able to represent fighters that don't quite make the cut into the actual game. And I love that 3 assist trophies actually promoted to legit fighters (Little Mac, Isabelle, and Dark Samus)

Least favorite is the paper fan. For personal reasons, my buddy in college managed to create infinite combos with it in brawl all the goddamn time. I hate that thing.

nuzthemonkey

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 31, 2019
Me and my friends being the Star Wars nerds that we are, saw the laser sword (Beam Sword) item and immediately started pretending to play Star Wars in Brawl. We would only have guns and beam swords dropping and we would use the Star Fox crew to pretend their final smashes were famous spaceships like the Millennium Falcon.

Least favourite is probably Spicy Curry because you literally can’t approach someone with that and it was really annoying to get edgeguarded by someone with constant disjointed fire breath.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)