• The Writer's Locke will be on hiatus from now until August 2nd. Read more about it here. Thanks for sticking by us. Looking forward to seeing you all again when we're back!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Fan Game Hack A Whole New World ~A Pokemon Dreams Blind Nuzlocke~

Which starter should I pick?

• Chikorita

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Totodile

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Description
UPDATE 12/06: 06. Dance Dance Revolution

Yuna

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy

With my Pokemon Red++ slowly nearing its end, I figured it was about time I started doing another challenge alongside it. I wanted to do another hack game, but not just an 'enhancement' hack, but an actual full-fledged ROM hack which tells a whole different story and takes place in a new region.

After searching around on the net for a bit, I came across this neat-looking project which is actually completed as well, so I don't have to worry about having to put my run on hiatus because the next beta isn't out yet.

Aside from some of the core updates/mechanics added to this game, I know next to nothing about it at all, so that'll surely add to the challenge as well.

• Any Pokemon that faints is considered dead, and must be released or put in the Pokemon Storage System permanently.
    • Dupes clause is active
    • Gift clause is active
  • The player may only catch the first Pokemon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokemon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances
  • The player must nickname all of their Pokemon, for the sake of forming stronger emotional bonds.
  • The challenge is considered complete after defeating the Elite Four and the Champion.

TBA.

This is a hack of Pokemon Fire Red, so the game starts off in a similar way, introducing us to the professor. He kind of gives me Elm vibes for some reason. Like a slightly cooler Elm...? :p

I was kind of expecting something other than the standard Nidoran(F) but oh well. I'm also pretty sure this guy is the first to ever use 'historian' and 'exciting' in the same sentence.

The next bit just has you choose your gender and name per usual. I'm not the biggest fan of the female protagonist's design, but it'll have to do. I just wish her cap and jacket weren't the exact same shade as brown as the hair because now everything just kind of blends together. :/

Meanwhile the rival character gets a much better design. Bummer.

I can never think of creative names for my rivals, so I just picked a random one from the list. I like the name 'Ethan' so that'll have to do.

Here we go! I've never played this game before so I'm really excited to see what it has in store for me.

It immediately starts off completely different by shifting the scene to what looks to be...the inside of a train, perhaps? It's definitely not the protagonist's bedroom. Also that seems to be a...shiny Eevee? I'm not sure if it's ours or just a random Pokemon sitting there, but I wouldn't mind an Eevee.

Immediately after, a girl with a Dunsparce shows up and strikes up a conversation. Since Dunsparce is on the title screen, I feel like it will probably be relevant to the story in some way.

So it is our Eevee after all. I guess that means you don't actually need to pick a starter in this game, but it just gives you a default one. Eevee is one of my favorite Pokemon ever, so I'm not going to complain.

The girl then continues to talk on for a while about how she can tell if a person is good or bad by how happy their Pokemon look, before the train comes to a halt at its final destination.

If this isn't foreshadowing, then I don't know what is. I honestly could see this person turning out to be the Champion or something.

I don't know if the game changes Eevee's gender to match with the trainer you chose, or if I just got lucky but I'm really happy it's a female one! Generation 7 Pokemon are in this game so I'd love to evolve mine into a Sylveon which just looks very feminine in my eyes.

Before leaving the station, I got a Town Map from one of the guards. I have a poor sense of direction, so I might end up needing to use it at some point.

It honestly is really refreshing to start off your journey in a decently large city and not some teeny tiny town which has 0 stuff to do in it.

On the right, there's a bunch of little tents with convenient NPCs. One is a name rater, so I used this opportunity to nickname my Eevee. I'm going to name all of my Pokemon after herbs and spices in this challenge. The nickname 'Mint' fits not only for shiny Eevee, but also for my two favorite shiny Eeveelutions by design, being Sylveon and Umbreon.

There's also three female trainers who can add an addtional challenge to the game by switching up the mechanics. While all of these sound very fun, I wanted to stick to the basics for my first run of this game.

On the left side of the city, there's some houses and a couple of more convenient NPCs. I decided to teach Covet to my Eevee instead of Tackle since it has higher base power AND can steal items off wild Pokemon.

I eventually managed to find the lab, where you meet the Professor in person for the first time. I honestly vibe with him a lot in this scene because I am so clumsy, don't ever ask me to assemble something because I will fail.

After a little funny cutscene to assemble the Pokedex, things soon start going south...

The Pokemon games have got their fair share of silly grunt outfits, but this has to top it all. I wouldn't want to get caught wearing something like that. Judging by the dialogue, they're meant to be more of the 'comic relief' type of villain characters as well.

Ah, yes. The fact of any Pokemon game protagonist ー Having to help out characters of which you'd expect they can handle their own.

ーー But Professor, I already have a Pokemon.

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't turn down a free Pokemon. The Johto starts aren't my favorites since they're kind of boring imo (being mono type and all) but I'll roll with it. I'm personally leaning towards either Cyndaquil or Totodile since I chose the Grass starter in my other run, but I'll attach a poll to this thread and leave it up to you guys again!

Please remember to vote on the poll and not just leave a comment, since I'll only look at those results. uwu

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Cianwood Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
I suppose giving you a second starter does fit with the optional double battle mode. just from this opening bit, I wonder how much of the game was designed with double battles in mind.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I voted Totodile because I like all three starters and I figured I might as well give you something that can Surf.

Ooh, I'm glad to see a Pokemon Dreams run here! That game pleasantly surprised me in that it has a more thoughtful, 'mature' storyline, but not at all like the edgy grimdark path of too many fangames (I'm looking at you, Reborn and FireRed Rocket Edition) and more along the lines of Gen 5's story. But I won't spoil it!

QueenFroslass

Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 19, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Ice, Poison
I really enjoyed reading this first bit, hope to see more soon
I voted Chikorita because it needs more love and it would go best with your naming theme

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I voted Chikorita because it needs more love and it would go best with your naming theme
I agree that Chikorita needs more love (I'm currently using it in a lorelocke of HeartGold), but given that Yuna's already used the grass starter in a recent nuzlocke, I went with Totodile. Although at this rate, Cyndaquil is looking like the clear favorite.

Yuna

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree that Chikorita needs more love (I'm currently using it in a lorelocke of HeartGold), but given that Yuna's already used the grass starter in a recent nuzlocke, I went with Totodile. Although at this rate, Cyndaquil is looking like the clear favorite.
Fun fact, Chikorita is easily my favorite out of the 3 by far. However, I do like variety and grass Pokemon are usually pretty common and easy to come by while Fire types and Water types before you gain access to Surf/a good rod can be more scarce.

QueenFroslass

Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 19, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Ice, Poison
I agree that Chikorita needs more love (I'm currently using it in a lorelocke of HeartGold), but given that Yuna's already used the grass starter in a recent nuzlocke, I went with Totodile. Although at this rate, Cyndaquil is looking like the clear favorite
I really need the check that recent nuzlocke (it was red right?)
her style of doing this has me really entertained, and that gives me something to do until this gets going :3

Cirr

I'm a bot! (maybe) #OnionBoy
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Fails Captchas with regularity
this hack looks... interesting so far, at least

that hat doe

also conifer seems derpy

ponibutts

nerd
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 6, 2021
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Grass, Dragon
If you're going with herbs and spices, absolutely think cyndaquil would be a good choice. one spicy boy (or girl!) to kick things off.
...tbf i woulda voted fire type even without the name thing. best gen 2 starter line

Yuna

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Thank you to everyone who left a reaction and seemed excited about this run!

The votes of the poll are pretty obvious and not all too surprising to me, since I know just how popular Cyndaquil is. Personally, I never quite understood why the Cyndaquil line is generally the most loved out of the Gen II starters but Fire types are usually rather rare so they're great to scoop up early in any challenge run!

The public has spoken ーー Cyndaquil it is. This little guy better not let me down.

Before we start the battle, the Professor even gives out 5 Potions just in case things go terribly wrong.

Unless these are the most OP Sentret and Ekans known to humankind, I don't think this will be much of a challenge. Delibird is an interesting choice for the Professor's Pokemon. I was kind of expecting a Dunsparce because of the title screen, but I suppose the one girl on the train already had one.

I can actually take a sneak peek at my Cyndaquil's nature and stats by going to the Pokemon summary screen. Calm is not bad, although it'll be annoying at first since Cyndaquil gets Ember only at lv. 10, I believe.

The enemy's Pokemon stand no chance against Eevee's Adaptability AND Silk Scarf boosted attacks as is, but Delibird makes sure she absolutely destroys them by going for Helping Hand.

After the fight, they are revealed as members of Team 'Coil'. I suppose this ties in with Dunsparce being the mascot as well, since Coil is part of its level-up moveset, I believe?

As always, the police arrives way too late. However, props to the Professor's neighbor for being a logical person in the Pokemon World and calling the cops because they saw suspicious figures enter the lab.

As to be expected, he then gives you whichever starter you chose to battle with as well as a Pokedex and some Pokeballs.

The game doesn't give you the chance to nickname the starter when you pick it, but the name rater is closeby so it isn't that big of a deal. Chili was the obvious choice here, but I like 'Jalapeno' just a little better.

Now that I have Pokeballs, there's two encounters I can get right away. One is on route 1, while the other is in these little patches of grass which opened up in front of one of the houses. The encounter rate is pretty low but after running around for a while, I did finally run into something.

Two Normal types (albeit one is dual typing) when I already have an Eevee is not exactly ideal, but to be expected in the beginning of the game.

One neat addition to this hack is that Pokemon gain EXP from catching as well, just like they do in Gen VI and onwards.

Pidove is by far my least favorite regional bird so I named it after a spice I have a very tense relationship with as well ー Garlic. I don't dislike the taste of garlic, but I hate the smell and I'm also intolerant so I feel sick after eating anything with garlic in it. Not very fun when it's one of the most common seasonings.

Relaxed is...pretty bad. Having bulk is nice in Nuzlockes but I want my birds to be speedy.

While Audino doesn't have the best nature either, Regenerator is an amazing ability and having a stand-alone Pokemon is so OP in the early game because their stats are way above all the other Pokemon.

This game has a very small amount of Fakemon and this must be one of them. Not gonna lie, the quality of these seems pretty low compared to some other Fakemon I've seen in recent hacks/fangames. ^^;;

Just to be safe, I decided to get the whole team up to lv. 6 before proceeding on route 1 and taking on the trainers.

The trainers on route 1 are actually quite interesting since they use a diverse pool of Pokemon including stuff like Spinda, Shelmet and Scatterbug. Definitely a nice change from the usual Pidgey/Rattata/Sentret/etc.

At one point, we nearly get knocked over by this random person bumping into anyone and anything in sight. He doesn't introduce himself or anything, but I doubt this is the last we've seen of him.

This guy is the self-proclaimed 'strongest trainer' of route 1. Unfortunately for him, the fox reigns supreme in this dog vs fox showdown.

After clearing out route 1, we end up in Thicket Town which is actually home to the first gym as well. Right at the beginning, we are approached by an NPC named Jim who takes on a bit of a support role for the player. I tried to deny his advice because I've played enough Pokemon games and the whole hand-holding thing is not my favorite, but at least he gives us an Exp. Share.

The Exp. Share has the modern mechanics so you can turn it on or off and your whole team will gain 50% of the gained EXP. This will definitely be useful during grinding, but if it gets out of hand, I will turn it off.

According to the sign, the first gym leader uses bug types which is great for me since I have both a fire AND a flying type. The trainer in front informs you that the leader isn't around right now, so we can't challenge him right away.

Up North of Thicket Town, there's a Colloseum where you can battle random trainers and get TMs as prizes. While this does sound tempting, I don't think my team is quite ready for this yet.

In the Pokemon Center, there's a bug catcher boasting about his 'special technique'. His team isn't too high leveled, but Illumise is decently bulky for this part of the game. It actually took about 4 Gusts to take it out. Then again, Pidove is by no means a strong Pokemon either.

After defeating him, he shares his 'secret technique' in the form of a TM.

I tried going to route 4, but it seems to be blocked off for now. The identity crisis part did get a little chuckle out of me, I won't deny.

Which means we can only go South to route 2 and actually get one more encounter.

The mono Normal trend continues. I assume this is the pre-evolution of Dunsparce which is exclusive to this hack. It's a baby Pokemon so it's really weak right now. Hopefully we can get it to evolve as soon as possible.

I decided to go back to the move tutor just in case any of my Pokemon could learn something and boy, it did not disappoint. Hurricane + Coil is a great combination and STAB Hyper Voice is just incredibly strong at this point in the game. I might just swap the Silk Scarf from Eevee to Audino, since the former already gets the Adaptibility boost anyway.

During training, my Cyndaquil finally gets a fire move and Audino also gets Refresh which might be useful in combination with Renegerator. This Audino is never dying.

I might have overleveled a little but I don't know the level curve of this game and I'd rather be safe than sorry. My team isn't the strongest in terms of stats after all.

Next time I'll continue down route 2 and hopefully find where the gym leader has been hiding!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry

I tried going to route 4, but it seems to be blocked off for now. The identity crisis part did get a little chuckle out of me, I won't deny.
Given Espurr's immense psychic powers with the ability to cause massive devastation... I'd say it's safest to leave them alone.

Captain Demozan

Perseverant quitter
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 20, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
He/They/Zan
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Normal
Pokédex Entry
A Zangoose-Slurpuff hybrid with an intense love for Puyo Puyo. He has a heavy dislike for himself, and is quick to deny compliments.
Gosh, that's a lot of normal types! Not complaining, of course; Normal is my favorite type, after all. I'm excited to see what this hack has in store, especially since Dunsparce is likely gonna get something big and cool like it deserves. I always loved that little fairy twinkie.

Yuna

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Given Espurr's immense psychic powers with the ability to cause massive devastation... I'd say it's safest to leave them alone.
Definitely. A lot of people think Espurr is cute, but even though I'm a huge cat lover, I've never been too fond of its designs. Those eyes just give me the creeps. I do like Meowstic a lot though, both the male and female versions.

Gosh, that's a lot of normal types! Not complaining, of course; Normal is my favorite type, after all. I'm excited to see what this hack has in store, especially since Dunsparce is likely gonna get something big and cool like it deserves. I always loved that little fairy twinkie.
I'm a huge fan of Normal types as well! I love how they can learn such a wide variety of different moves! A lot of them have cute designs as well. uwu

Last time I got my encounter on route 2, but I have yet to fully explore the area and take on the trainers along the way.

So far, so good! It started out good for Cyndaquil but a lot of the trainers on this route use Water types, so he didn't get a lot of chances to shine afterwards. Audino, on the other hand, is an absolute monster with STAB Hyper Voice this early on in the game.

Having the Old Rod earlier might have been nice to get an encounter in the water, but I didn't know it was here, unfortunately. You also need to go through some patches of grass to get to this trainer, so chances are I would have encountered something else either way.

From route 2 onwards, there's two different paths to take. Either proceed to route 3 or visit the Ranch. I believe route 3 is the final destination, so I will probably check out the Ranch first for some extra training.

That being said, I did get my encounter on route 3, which turned out to be a Surskit. Finally something which isn't a Normal type! I like Masquerain's design a lot, but it's a shame they didn't make a Bug/Water type.

Right now those stats and moves are a bit lacking, but Water coverage will be nice for the team.

I also pick up the TM for Work Up, a great set-up move this early in the game. TMs are reusable, but I only gave it to Eevee for now.

On the ranch, I get an amazing first encounter with Riolu! Friendship evolutions are a little annoying but if we can keep this little guy alive, he will surely be a great asset to the team!

Lucario can be either physical or special but I think it's obvious this guy's going to be a physical attacker given his nature.

With three mono normal types on the team, I decide to box one of them for now. Dudsparce has really low stats so he's the obvious choice here. Even though I feel like this hack has something special in store for Dunsparce, I can't justify boxing my starter or Audino over the much weaker team member.

There's a little side quest at the ranch where you have to help the owner retrieve his runaway Mareep.

The place also has plenty of trainers with decently high leveled Pokemon. A great place to train, in other words! I did make sure to train up my two new team members beforehand so they could participate in the battles as well.

While making my way through the trainers, I also made sure to catch the loose Mareep.

You get Quick Attack! You get Quick Attack! Everyone gets Quick Attack!

After finding all five Mareep, the owner gives out the TM for Return. Right now this move isn't that great since my team's friendship level is still fairly low, but it'll surely be a great move on my Normal types later on!

My whole team's at a decent level now, so I feel confident proceeding to route 3. Seems like Team Coil is up to something over here.

I really like how the evil team uses a wide variety of different Pokemon in this hack. We're not even one gym in, and we've seen so many different Pokemon already as well.

Thankfully, the team doesn't struggle too much against any of them. I was a little skeptical after getting all those repeated types last time, but I'm actually really liking my squad right now.

Eventually we reach Mr. Cutter's house where Team Coil seems to be plotting something.

Inside Mr. Cutter is already being cornered for his HMs. Apparently Team Coil needs the HM Cut for something.

Team Coil and now the name 'Viper'. Seems like there's gonna be a definite link with 'snakes'. Some of the grunts have been using Ekans as well.

Should she really be saying that about her boss?

Our first Team Coil boss fight and it's already starting off scary. I definitely got the lead match-up wrong here.

My Audino did learn Disarming Cry, which is a Fairy type move, but if this Dratini has Dragon Rage already, we're in big trouble!

I do get a bit unlucky with paralyze hax, but no early Dragon Rage, thankfully.

Eventually the Dratini goes down. With Regenerator, we can always heal up to decent HP by simply switching out as well.

Dratini could have potentially scary, but next she brings out the real threat. A lv. 11 Seviper with STAB moves is extremely threatening at this point in the game!

I try and play it smart by using Baby-Doll Eyes to lower its attack first. Even so, Poison Tail does a decent chunk and there's that chance to poison as well.

Despite playing with hax odds, I still go for the Work Up once to power up my Covet. Unfortunately, we do get poisoned in the process.

I do have to heal up once, but eventually Eevee does manage to take out the Sepiver with its boosted attack.

Last but not least is Slugma. Even though Rock type attacks are obviously super effective against me, I figured Surskit could handle it. Slugma goes for Yawn but Bubble is a solid 2HKO so we can take it out before falling asleep.

That Seviper had me sweating for a bit, but we get through Lyre without any casualties.

I had the EXP. Share turned on during the fight so Cyndaquil hit lv. 14 and evolved into Quilava.

Lyre backs off and both Mr. Cutter and Beat thank us for the help. I'm not sure why the gym leader didn't bother helping out earlier though?

With all the HMs stolen by Team Coil, we have to rely on Beat to open up the path for us. In return, we have to defeat him first. I feel like he made a big mistake because my Quilava is ready to burn through those Bug types of his. >3

In fact, the whole team is perfectly leveled up to lv. 14 after taking on those grunts and the admin, so I don't need to do any additional training for the gym at all. I haven't looked at the gym's levels or teams for this hack, but I think I should be okay.

Next time I'll take on Beat with hopefully no deaths and then proceed to route 4 and whatever lies beyond!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A lot of people think Espurr is cute, but even though I'm a huge cat lover, I've never been too fond of its designs. Those eyes just give me the creeps.
I mean, given its dex entries, I think it being so unsettling fits it pretty well. This is NOT a kitten you want to scratch behind the ears.
That being said, I did get my encounter on route 3, which turned out to be a Surskit. Finally something which isn't a Normal type! I like Masquerain's design a lot, but it's a shame they didn't make a Bug/Water type.
Masquerain is awesome and I heartily encourage you to use it whenever possible.
I really like how the evil team uses a wide variety of different Pokemon in this hack.
Yeah, I think evil teams in general should use a wide variety of Pokemon. Partially to make them more challenging, and partially because if the evil team grunts constantly use a species you have no decent counter for, you're gonna have a bad time.
My Audino did learn Disarming Cry, which is a Fairy type move, but if this Dratini has Dragon Rage already, we're in big trouble!
Dragon Rage is so bad in early-stage nuzlockes that some runs have it qualify as BS Clause. I don't blame them. (Also, wild Magnemite in BW2 with SonicBoom are the worst.)

Looking forward to seeing how you do against Beat!

Yuna

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy

Before heading towards my first gym challenge, I decided to be smart and stock up on some healing items. Since this is a Bug gym, I am expecting some powder moves so I picked up a couple of Antidotes and Paralyze Heals, just in case.

Here we go, the first gym of the game! I am feeling quite confident because Bug types generally aren't too strong. I don't want to underestimate them though, however. I'm expecting some fully evolved Pokemon in this gym, which can be scary in the early game when all of your own Pokemon are still on their first stage.

The gym trainers provide little challenge with Pidove and Quilava breezing through most of them. Audino has been consistently performing well too because of its high stats for the early game.

Pidove also got an update to its Flying type move right before taking on the gym leader, perfect! It's a shame his physical attack is much higher than his special attack, though.

Beat has a fairly basic design, but I don't dislike it. The color sheme reminds me a little of the rival sprite they showed at the beginning of the game.

Pidove starts out strong by landing a critical hit on the Surskit and taking it out in one hit.

I figured Pineco would be easy to handle for any member on my team so I swapped out to save HP on my main fighters but oh boy, I was wrong. Take Down hit like a truck and Bubble did way less than I expected.

I swap out to Audino who has a high physical defense stat and Hyper Voice brings down to the Pineco to about 20%. Unfortunately, it was holding a berry to bring it almost back to full. Another Hyper Voice lands but Beat then swaps out to his ace for some reason.

Beautifly paralyzed me but I decide to just keep on attacking with STAB Hyper Voice and for some reason he keeps on swapping, simply letting his Pokemon worn down.

After Beautifly comes out again, I figured the AI wouldn't go for Stun Spore again since I chose not to heal the status on my Audino, so I risk the switch to Quilava to finish the Beautifly with a super effective Ember.

Her last Pokemon is a lv. 13 Nincada which isn't scary at all so Pidove makes quick work of it with Air Cutter.

His levels were a little higher than I expected. I thought I would be overleveled with my whole team at lv. 14-15 but his ace turned out to be lv. 16. I suppose I shouldn't underestimate this game in terms of its level curve.

After our victory, we get the TM for Struggle Bug which is a decent bug STAB move for Surskit at this point in the game. Its secondary effect of lowering the opponent's special attack might just come in clutch as well.

Now that we have defeated Beat, he also helps us out to clear the tree on route 4 so we can actually proceed with the game.

Right after cutting down the tree, the guy who bumped into us earlier appears again out of nowhere and actually reveals himself to be Beat's twin brother. No wonder I thought the two of them had a similar color scheme.

I was expecting an intense rival fight after facing a lv. 16 fully evolved Pokemon in the gym, but Ethan ends up having a Mareep and a Totodile both at lv. 7. I'm sure this was meant to be an easy fight because he technically just started out so it would make no sense for him to be up to par.

You really don't have to. I wouldn't mind having an easy fight every now and then. Especially in a Nuzlocke.

After Ethan leaves and Beat returns to his gym, I head straight into the tall grass to get my route 4 encounter which ends up being a Budew. Roserade is one of my favorite Pokemon of all time so I was thrilled to catch this little one.

I was even more thrilled to find out she has a Modest nature which is one of the best natures you can get for Roserade. Having another friendship evolution is a little tedious though.

At one point, I also remembered that I could technically get an encounter from the beginning area of the game by using the Old Rod. Just like in any vanilla Pokemon game, it ends up being a Magikarp. Since this line is so readily available in literally game and Gyarados can be quite broken early on, I decide not to put it on the team for now.

After some training and a TON of just aimless running around in circles while abusing emulator speed-up, I got the whole team up to lv. 16-17 with max friendship on everyone but Budew since she only just joined the team. I still got her up to about 80-90% so it shouldn't take too long before she evolves as well. I decided to use this as an opportunity to teach Eevee Return, which should be very powerful during the early game.

With the squad all ready to go, I return to route 4 to take on the trainers.

So far, so good. The levels have dropped a little again compared to the first gym, so I did turn off the EXP share for a bit to avoid overleveling.

The team also got some new moves. Bite on Eevee will be especially great to hit Ghost types, since we had nothing for that before. Bubble Beam is also a much needed improvement over the 20 BP Bubble.

Literally the first trainer battle I decide to use Budew and we face a Flygin type. Great. I should probably just stick to switch training her until she evolves to avoid any unexpected casualties. Baby Pokemon are rather frail after all.

As boring as running around in circles may have been, it sure pays off the moment Riolu evolves into Lucario.

I back track to the beginning area once more to check with the Move Relearner to give Lucario both Metal Claw and Power-up Punch. It also tried to learn Aura Sphere upon evolution but since mine has a special attack lowering nature, I decided Force Palm would be better for now.

Lucario instantly proves it worth already when we run into a trainer with a powerful lv. 16 Girafarig. I had a weakened Surskit out in front and I could just sense the Stomp coming. Thankfully, Lucario takes nearly nothing from the resisted hit and easily takes out the Girafarig afterwards.

Oh boy, it just keeps on getting better. I can definitely see this guy sweeping a few teams in the near future.

Near the end of route 4, there's a guy who gives you Headbutt. Even though Quilava has a Calm nature, I still teach it to him for some neutral coverage.

I also go back to the city of the first gym to test it out on one of the trees but the encounter I get is very...underwhelming. As much as I love Ledian's design, its stats are just so bad, I can't justify using it in a Nuzlocke.

Right before reaching the exit of route 4, we run into an incredibly powerful Ranger who has random lv. 18 Pokemon. Perhaps I should have kept the EXP. Share on after all...

Her Ducklett does quite a bit of damage to Audino but thankfully we can heal it off with Renegerator by switching out.

The real threat comes out afterwards though. I definitely did not expect to face a lv. 20 Pokemon already. Meowstic is also fully evolved and its STAB Psychic attacks HURT.

I eventually switched out to Audino, who usually tanks special hits quite well despite its SpDef lowering nature. Psybeam does a lot but I manage to slowly regain some health by using Potions. Hyper Voice brings Meowstic very low but I ran out of PP at the worst possible timing. Hyper Voice only has 10 PP in total and I hadn't gone back to heal after taking on a couple of other trainers on the route.

On top of that, Audino gets confused by one of the Psybeams as well. I know I cannot safely switch anything in, so I just have to pray that she doesn't get a high roll or crit and that Audino breaks through Confusion to take out the Meowstic with Pound.

Good news - We break through. Bad news - Pound just barely misses out on the KO. Thankfully the AI decided to go for a non-attacking move that turn so at least I didn't have to risk the high roll or crit.

I eventually pray that my Calm natured Quilava should at least be able to take one non-crit move and switch it in to finish off the Meowstic with a Quick Attack. I don't know if we naturally would outspeed, but I didn't want to take any risks when it was at 1 HP anyway.

On my way back to the city to heal, we run into another Ranger which made my heart drop for a second. Thankfully, Lucario can set up on his lead Pikachu and then proceeds to outspeed and sweep his entire team. Crisis averted.

As I try to go to the next city, I spot the same girl from the very beginning of the game with her Dunsparce. I can sense another battle coming and I did not feel mentally ready for it after that scary Meowstic encounter, so I decided to save my game here so I could continue playing the next day.

I think this is a good place to end this part as well since there was plenty of suspense. Maybe not in the gym itself, but it's the end result which matters, right? At least now I know to always be prepared to fight random high leveled Pokemon in this game.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
You have quite a spicy team there (pun intended). Looking forward to how this all plays out, especially now that you have a Lucario!

Henrily

Mate what the heckin' bullshit
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
"He" is fine
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
Your daily (not really) dose of dampening dallies.
Oh look Pokemon Dreams! Haven't seen anyone play it in a while now! The tournament in the first gym's time gives out some good rewards, so try to do it. The Pokemon are around the Gym Leader's levels, so no fret.

Yuna

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
You have quite a spicy team there (pun intended). Looking forward to how this all plays out, especially now that you have a Lucario!
It does feel a little unfair to have a Lucario this early on, but hack games tend to be a little more challenging than the vanilla ones, so I hope that will help balance it out.

Oh look Pokemon Dreams! Haven't seen anyone play it in a while now! The tournament in the first gym's time gives out some good rewards, so try to do it. The Pokemon are around the Gym Leader's levels, so no fret.

Thank you for the tip! I actually take on the Colosseum in this part so I already found about about the levels, haha. It's a great way to farm money and train up weaker Pokemon though.

Just as I feared predicted, she will not let us through with a battle. Dunsparce can actually be quite scary early on in the Vanilla games as well if you let its Rollout get too powerful.

Thankfully, she only has one Pokemon and it's only lv. 16 so my Eevee should be able to handle this.

After one Work Up, Eevee easily takes out the Dunsparce in one hit with a max power Return.

She starts to talk about her dream afterwards, which is basically to help other people reach their dreams, since a lot of people live their life without ever achieving their ambitions. A very noble goal indeed. However, could there be a catch to it...?

Before we part ways, she does give us the TM for Double Team. I've personally never used Double Team strats because I feel like it never works for me. (But when the opponent uses it, you better believe I'm never landing a single attack)

Beyond the gate lies Verdedge City which is actually home to the second gym already! From what I can guess by the description, it's most likely a Psychic type gym which means Surskit should be extremely useful once she evolves.

There's also a game corner in this town which has all starter Pokemon available. I would love to get one of these as my Verdedge City encounter but right now, coins are simply too expensive. They aren't too pricey though, so we should be able to get one in the near future.

I did not feel quite ready to take on another gym, so I tried heading north but the path is blocked by a trainer. Thankfully, the routes to the left and right of the city are both accessible and can be used for training.

I decided to go left first to route 6 which seems to be a mountain range. In the grass, I caught a Gligar with my very last ball left. It broke out of all the regular Poke Balls I had on hand, so I had to use a Nest Ball instead. Gliscor is an amazing Pokemon but I don't know where the evolution item is in this game so he will be chilling in the box for now.

There's also a second cave area called Seis Bluff where I ran into a Diglett but I got trapped by Arena Trap with my Budew who has no other attacking moves except Mega Drain. I didn't want to waste a bunch of Poke Balls on just a Diglett, so I ended up OHKO'ing it, missing out on the encounter.

Budew seemed pretty proud of this and evolved into a Roselia right after.

While it is somewhat of a drag to run all the way back to the starting area each time, I figured it was worth it to see if I could get any good moves on Roselia by using the free Move Reminder. Both Leech Seed and Magical Leaf are great early on, so I'm glad I did.

After returning to route 6, I decided to clear out the trainers next.

I had one very scary encounter with an Onix inside of the cave when it survived Surskit's Bubblebeam on 1 HP thanks to Sturdy and retaliated with a powerful Rock Tomb, nearly taking me out from full.

Thankfully she survived and actually evolves into a Masquerain soon after. Which means Rock Tomb will definitely kill now so I'll have to be extra careful.

Oh boy. I hope this second gym leader and her Psychic types are prepared because my Masquerain is ready to hit the dance floor.

This Hiker got me a little scared at first because I thought he would be another one of those random trainers who has very powerful/high level Pokemon, but he was actually quite weak and no match for Masquerain's Air Cutter.

At the very end of route 6, we stumble upon a single house which might as well been pulled straight out of a horror movie.

Fittingly, I catch a ghost type inside. I love Chandelure but Litwick evolves so late and I have no idea where the Dusk Stone is, so he gets to join Gligar in the box for now.

Inside a strange voice talks to you about dreams and their meaning. If you choose the right door, the conversation continues, but choosing the wrong one brings you all the way back to square one and you have to do it over again. I totally did not use save stats to speed up this process, nope.

At the very end, a Twisted Spoon and a Poke Doll await.

As if this place was not creepy enough, the bed starts talking to you as well.

The wise answer here would be 'no', but being the protagonist in a Pokemon games means living life on the edge. Dream Eater can be extremely powerful this early on, but you do need to have a reliable way to put the opponent to sleep which isn't always evident. Moves like Hypnosis aren't the most accurate after all.

Next up is route 7 which is known to be a popular fishing spot. On route 2, one of the Fishing Gurus gives you an Old Rod after you defeat him, so I figured something similar might happen for the Good Rod here ー and I was right! I would like to have another Water type in the box, so I avoided the tall grass on purpose.

Fighterman Jerry with his Basculin and Chinese Horsea knockoff are no match for Roselia. Roselia actually has a really high Special Attack stat because it was a single stage Pokemon originally.

Now that we have the Good Rod, I decided to try and get a fishing encounter on this route.

Keyword is try. I keep on underestimating the power of my team and killing my encounters which is not good. Not that Goldeen is anything to be excited about, but it's never bad to have a lot of Pokemon in a Nuzlocke challenge.

Thankfully, none of the trainers on route 7 pose any problems and after all those extra trainer fights, the team's in good shape to challenge the second gym.

Before I do that, however, I recall the Thick Colosseum. I was too scared to take on the challenge earlier, but my team has become a lot stronger ever since.

...Whoops. I definitely should have done this before the first gym.

As you can imagine, all the trainers are a cakewalk with the levels ranging from lv.8 to lv. 12-13. At one point, Mirror B. makes an appearance which is a fun little easter egg. His team of two Lotad and two Lombre isn't a threat though.

This also allows me to scoop up some nice TMs like Hidden Power and Shock Wave.

Defeating trainers in the Colosseum also helped me farm enough money to be able to purchase the necessary coins to get one of the starters. After debating between Piplup, Froakie and Popplio for some time, I decided to go with Froakie. Even though Primarina is my favorite fully evolved starter ever, I'd like to get a Sylveon so Froakie seemed like the better choice to get a wider range of types.

Modest nature is pretty nice, although Greninja actually learns a fair amount of physical moves as well. If we can take him all the way,

I also did not notice this while playing at all but it seems like there's some sort of bug with these Game Corner Pokemon because the nickname did not register for some reason? I will have to backtrack to the Name Rater and try to fix it that way so for the next time, Froakie should have the proper nickname.

If you're wondering if I almost lost my Froakie merely minutes after I got him to a sudden Magnitude 8 from a wild Sandshrew, the answer is yes.

A few levels later, he evolves into Frogadier which should give him some more offensive power as well as bulk.

I also taught Frogadier Hidden Power through TM and it turns out being HP Ground which is great to take out the Helioptile on Route 6 which would otherwise pose a real threat!

After getting my newest team member caught up with the team, I decided it was time to challenge the second gym. Find out how that goes next time!

Henrily

Mate what the heckin' bullshit
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
"He" is fine
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
Your daily (not really) dose of dampening dallies.
hey that's a pretty good team you got there! also in this game, there's not only 8 eeveelutions ;)
good luck with the gym!

Yuna

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
hey that's a pretty good team you got there! also in this game, there's not only 8 eeveelutions ;)
good luck with the gym!
That's interesting! I already have my mind set on Sylveon though, since it's my favorite Eeveelution and I also like its shiny. uwu

I'm playing this game blind so I have no idea what the level of the second gym leader's ace is, but with a Quiver Dance Masquerain against a Psychic gym, I should be fine.

As I say that, the first Pokemon we run into is a Flying type. I look like a god by switching in my Eevee on a Night Shade though. Yeah I totally predicted that. *cough cough*

The other gym trainers provide little to no challenge.

The gym leader herself is actually sleeping on the job - quite literally. She has very strong psychic powers and can only fully control them when asleep, hence why she spends most of her time in bed. Take note, kids. Next time you don't want to go to school/work, use this as an excuse to loaf around in your pajamas all day.

For some reason the gym leader's design reminds me of Touhou Project. Either that or alternate universe Alice in Wonderland.

Her first Pokemon is a Spoink who makes the very vital mistake of going for Reflect against my SPECIAL attacker, therefore giving me free turns to set up. Her next move is a bit smarter because confusion hax could be tricky, so I decide to continue to set up until I'm about to break out of confusion, rather than taking out the Spoink and opening up opportunities for a stronger Pokemon to come out while Masquerain is still confused.

This was definitely the smart decision because Masquerain does end up hitting herself two times in a row after that. I use a Super Potion on the last turn of confusion to get as much HP as possible and then the party can begin.

Bug Buzz is an easy OHKO on the Spoink after setting up three times with Quiver Dance earlier.

Her Natu and Munna suffer the same fate as well.

Last is her ace which is only at lv. 23 so I definitely went into this gym a little too overpowered. You can probably already guess that one Bug Buzz easily took her out as well.

A very easy second gym badge and a nice set up move which may come in useful in the future. Right now Lucario is the only Pokemon on my team who can learn Calm Mind and he is a physical attacker, so I'll hold onto it for the timebeing.

As soon as I try to proceed to route 5, one of Team Coil's members bumps into us. He is still frustrated after a loss and challenges us to a battle. Maybe he should take some anger management classes instead of taking out his frustrations on innocent bypassers.

That being said, his team was not very strong at all so the squad made quick work of him.

On route 5, I got a great encounter in Sandile. I would love to use a Krookodile but I also like every current member of my team, unfortunately. Perhaps she will get a chance to shine later in this run.

There are quite a few trainers on this route as well, but I had no close calls or memorable moments so I didn't bother screenshotting most of it.

At the end of route 5, we run into Ethan who is beating down some Team Coil members. He claims to have become a lot stronger since our last encounter and initiates a battle.

He definitely was not lying about becoming a lot stronger. While this fight wasn't particularly difficult either, it was a huge improvement from the previous time when he challenged us with two lv. 7 Pokemon.

Croconaw could have Ice Fang but Roselia outspeeds and one Giga Drain is enough to take it out.

Oh hey, he also has an Eevee! I wonder if he has a set evolution for it, or if it will be dependent on whatever I decide to evolve my Eevee into. There are no Steel or Poison Eeveelutions though, so Sylveon should never be at a disadvantage.

His last Pokemon is a Riolu which easily goes down to an Air Cutter. Lucario is going to be a threat in the future though, so I want to watch out for that.

After defeating our rival, he proposes we enter Mt. Oren to hunt down Team Coil's leader.

Inside the cave, I catch the most generic cave encounter you can get, a Zubat. Crobat is one of my favorite Poison types though, so I'm not complaining.

Once again, the trainers were not all that difficult so I just took a couple of screenshots of the team putting in work.

One thing I really like about this hack is the wide variety of good TMs which are available early on in the game. Right now, I don't have any Pokemon on the team who can abuse these, but they'd be great in case I need to re-build in the future.

Eventually I reach the end of the cave, where a bunch of workers are waiting for someone to chase away Team Coil so they can continue doing their job.

My team was running a little low on HP and PP by this point, so I was glad to find out you can proceed to the next town and heal up there, rather than having to track all the way back.

I used this opportunity to explore the town a little as well, picking up some items along the way. I can't remember if the Power Glove is an existing item is any vanilla Pokemon game. If anyone can help out, that would be appreciated!

You bet I'm coming straight back here after finishing up the event at Mt. Oren. I need a Shiny stone for both my Roselia and Eevee to evolve so I really hope I'll be able to purchase them here.

When will evil teams learn that asking the protagonist to 'keep out' is never actually effective?

Most of the grunts were fairly easy opponents, but there was one trainer in particular with a decently leveled Gyarados which did massive damage with Thrash. I switched in my Roselia after Eevee's attack had gotten lowered by Intimidate and took about 80% from just one attack. I wasn't confident that Giga Drain would take out the Gyarados or give me enough recovery to take another Thrash, so I swapped to Lucario while the opponent was locked in.

Even when resisting it, Lucario still took a decent chunk but two Returns took out the Gyarados.

Thankfully, no more scary encounters after that.

I eventually reached the innermost part of the cave, where a boss battle would most certainly await. I felt pretty good about my team level-wise, so I went for it.

Oh dear. Somebody clearly thinks very highly of themselves.

Seems like the guy with the spiky brown hair is actually 'Cobra' and the potential leader of Team Coil. I thought it was the dark skinned character which we met at the Cutter's House earlier, but I guess I was wrong.

Let's see if this girl is really as great as she claims to be.

Lucario is feeling a little left out after Masquerain got to show off her dance moves at the gym earlier, so now it's time for him to take the spotlight.

Luxio did paralyze him with Thunder Wave so I healed that immediately. A paralyzed Pokemon is basically a dead Pokemon in a Nuzlocke run. You always get paraylzed on the worst possible turn after all.

Noctowl is fairly bulky and Force Palm is only neutral against it, so the critical hit might have actually mattered in this case. I will take it though.

Tangela does end up living one boosted Force Palm but can't do much back in return.

Oof. It's a bad look when your last Pokemon against a powered up Steel type is a Spritzee. This was an easy victory for Lucario.

Anaconda leaves and the gym leader Oren thanks us for the help.

He also invites you to come take him on in the gym later which is definitely next on the agenda. I believe it is a Rock type gym so I'm not too worried about that. I have a strong Grass, Water AND Fighting type to help me out after all.

This guy must have taken some lessons from Barry. He's just as hyperactive and impulsive after all.

Back to Montanore Town I go and with Team Coil being taken care of, we can now visit the Stone shop and get two Shiny stones.

The team is really starting to become more and more powerful with all these evolutions, but I don't know what this game will throw at me next so I figured it was best to just evolve them now, rather than risk them dying before I get a chance to.

I also made one more trip back to the move relearner to get a better Fairy type move on Sylveon. Draining Kiss isn't incredibly strong, but it'll probably be what I'll have to work with until she learns Moonblast.

After some more exploring, I found another one of these Colosseum places. Right now my team is strong enough to take on the gym without being too overpowered, but I'll keep this in mind in case I want to grind later. It is definitely a better option than just grinding on wild encounters since you can get money AND prices from it.

I will end this part here for now and next time we'll start by taking on Oren at the Montanore Town gym!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)