• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Feature team invited you to check out the Hidden Gem Showcase! Give a little love to your favorite runs you think more people should know about!
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Video Hoenn General Commentary Hack A Strange New World - Zelad's Emerald Randomizer Nuzlocke Let's Play

Thread Description
A randomized hack nuzlocke let's play in Emerald with commentary

Zelad

Cinephile
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 16, 2020
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I've known about this place for a while, posted a tiny bit a year or so ago, and decided I wanted to have another go at Nuzlocking. I was having so much fun that I decided to start a Let's Play video series. I hope it takes off and gets through to completion. I've always loved Pokemon, since Blue and Red hit North America when I was 14. I'm 35 now, and am still quite fond of them. I haven't played a new Pokemon game since Black and White 2. The first Gen always had the most magic for me, and the fondest memories. Ever since the randomizer craze hit video games, I've been fascinated by it. I decided to go nuts and experimented with a lot of randomizations before settling on what I want for this series. My biggest fear is that I'll get stuck by Field Moves, but so far I haven't played far enough to see how that will pan out.

I made a little cheat sheet for myself, since I don't want to be alt-tabbing while recording. I'm not the greatest when it comes to remembering the type charts, and I also made a Damage Category chart since the older Gen games don't have Physical and Special for moves individually.

TdY085i.jpg

You would not believe the hassle I went through just to upload that picture. It probably took me two hours of fighting with my Google Pixel 1 and Windows 10... I swear I want to smash them. -Sigh- Remember the good old days where you plugged your phone in and upload pictures in like two seconds with no hassle?

Anyway, let me describe my set-up for this run. I'm using VisualBoyAdvance as my emulator. I chose Emerald because I'm not very familiar with the Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald series. Back when they first came out I think I only beat 2 or 3 gyms in Ruby, and only played it once. I'm using Arty's Emerald Randomizer to randomize the Pokemon types, color pallets by type, and to set Shiny Pokemon to their normal color (so I can tell they're Shiny). I'll use the Universal Pokemon Game Randomizer for the rest. The Universal Pokemon Game Randomizer settings I'm using are:

Pokemon Base Stats - Random
Pokemon Abilities - Randomize
Pokemon Types - Unchanged
(Because I used Arty's for this)
Pokemon Evolutions - Randomize
-Change Impossible Evos
Starter Pokemon - Random (Completely)
-Randomize Starter Held Items
-Ban Bad Items
Static Pokemon - Random (Completely)
In-Game Trades - Randomize Both Requested and Given Pokemon
-Randomize Nicknames
-Randomize OTs
-Randomize IVs
-Randomize Items
Randomize Move Power
Randomize Move Accuracy
Randomize Move PP
Pokemon Movesets - Random (Completely)
-Reorder Damaging Moves
Trainer Pokemon - Random
Randomize Trainer Names
Randomize Trainer Class Names
Wild Pokemon - Random
-Catch Em All Mode
-Randomize Held Item
-Ban Bad Items
TMs & HMs - Random
TM/HM Compatibility - Random (Completely)
Move Tutors - Random
Move Tutor Compatibility - Random (Completely)
Field Items - Randomize
-Ban Bad Items
Fastest Text
Running Shoes Indoors
Give National Dex at Start
Lower Case Pokemon Names
Randomize Catching Tutorial

The rules I'm using:

1. Any Pokemon that faints is considered dead.
2. Only the first Pokemon from each region can be caught.
2a. Static encounters and Shiny Pokemon are exempt.
3. All my Pokemon must be nicknamed.
4. Pokemon acquired through trading will be allowed if the requested Pokemon was caught per rule #2.
4a. Pokemon received freely from NPC's will also be exempt.
5. No reset, not even one, no matter what, without exception.
6. White Out is game over unless there are usable Pokemon in the PC.
7. Battle system must be changed to "Set."
8. If the player has no Pokemon that can use a Field Move required to progress they may catch other Pokemon to try and find one that can, but those Pokemon may not be used in battle.
9. One encounter may be had for each region in the Safari Zone, but only one Pokemon may be caught for the entire Safari Zone.

That's it for now. I hope to get my first video uploaded to youtube in a few hours. I'll aim to make it about half an hour long, and do a little commentary over it. We'll see how it goes with minimal video editing.

I hope you enjoy.

Edit: I amended rule 6. "White Out is game over even if there are Pokemon in the PC," to "White Out is game over unless there are usable Pokemon in the PC."

Although this is a bit less challenging, I feel it is more realistic and gives incentive to care about all of the Pokemon I get, and not just the strongest few.

Last edited:

Zelad

Cinephile
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 16, 2020
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It took a lot longer than I anticipated, but the first episode is finally completed!

Zelad

Cinephile
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 16, 2020
Episode 3

Edit: I changed the thumbnail on youtube because I felt it was a bit of a spoiler, but it doesn't seem to be change when I repost it here. Not sure how that works, but oh well.

Edit: Edit: Okay, now it changed, lol. I guess it just takes a minute.

Zelad

Cinephile
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 16, 2020
I was feeling inspired by some of the comics I've seen, so I think I'll draw some MS paint pictures to accompany my run.

I'll make them follow a narrative, but for now I think I'm just going to post one picture at a time.

MbMn7dM.png

Users who are viewing this thread