• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

Screenshot Kanto Written Log Teen Commentary Mon A Legend Rises: The first of many

Which Pokemons do you think will make it past the Elite Four/Champion alive? (may select multiple)

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Thread Description
Episode 9 comes out this Friday, and final Episode 10 debuts this Sunday evening! Don't miss out!

Train27

King of Derps
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
Normal
Pokédex Entry
Usually seen calmly grazing at the computer, turning pizza and caffeine into code.
So... I guess we're doing it!
As this is the first thread in (hopefully) many to come, I guess this warrants an explanation:
As the majority of Pokemon enthusiasts, I started my relationship with the series as a child (Pokemon Gold in my case), but after Gen 4 I got into other things and lost interest in it. Fast forward a few years, halfway through university, very long classes and a lot of computers (I'm finishing a degree in computer science), so it was pretty usual to see +60% of the class just playing on their laptops (ranging from Hearthstone or MGT, to some dudes even playing Mortal Kombat with controllers).
So this mate of mine was always playing on a weird (to me, at the time) Pokemon battle simulator. I thought it was pretty dumb, why lose halve the pokemon experience and only enjoy the battles? It made little to no sense to me. However, over time I eventually gave it a few shots, and although I was reluctant initially, with time I was more and more into Pokemon Showdown.

It felt as if I had rediscovered a lost love, it revitalized my love for the series. I started comprehending the depth and complexity of pokemon battles, and found myself enjoying thinking about strategies, team comps, predicts...

Cutting to the chase, my love for the series was renewed as of my experience with Showdown, and even though I no longer play that much, it was enough motivation for me that I bought a 2ds xl and a copy of Ultra Sun (spoiler, I enjoyed every-single-minute of it). I had such a great time playing through it, with every new introduction and change in the series since I left in Gen 4. Since this, I've been meaning to replay the whole series, but the overpriced second hand market has always spooked me.

Recently I started watching some Pokemon Challenges, and although I already knew what nuzlockes were, it struck me as a revelation that I should do that series challenge in nuzlocke runs.

The reason for this is that one of the things I've always dispised of the series is its low difficulty barrier, so I thought imposing myself these "hard-mode" rules would make it more enjoyable.
TL;DR; My intention is to play through the entire series in nuzlocke runs because the regular games low difficulty just makes it not fun for me.

Back to the jam, in this thread I'll be sharing the Nuzlocke run of Pokemon Red (I'm saving Yellow for a special challenge later on):

ALR I: The First of Many

(short for 'A Legend Rises')

Rules:
(besides the 2 regular nuzlocke rules)
Dupes Clause
Allowed to catch the first non-duplicate pokemon in each route. If there are no new pokemon in a route, can only catch the first one that appears.
Set Mode
What am I, 5? Of course we're playing in set mode!
Level limit
Not allowed to overlevel the next gym's max level pokemon.
Teamlocke
Not allowed to change pokemon in the party until a slot opens due to a death.
No fleeing
Must fight every trainer. Can run from wild encounters.
Limited items in battle (1-3)
Max use of 3 items in each battle. I intended to play with no items in battle at all, but I'll be leaving that for another run.
*new* Champions ClauseThe pokemon that make it to the Hall of Fame (alive or not) are considered Champions.
On following runs (remember, this is a series), I may not use any Champion pokemon.
*new* Last ResortLegendary pokemon can be caught, but they may only be used when there are no more pokemon available
(neither at the PC nor at any route) to make a 6-mon team.
However, when used, they may not overlevel the lowest level pokemon of the next gym leader/elite member.
*new* Game OverAfter a blackout, the game is over and the run is considered failed, even if there are pokemon left in the PC.
(According to Nuzlocke-Ratings this brings the ruleset difficulty to 8)
The story so far:
The team as of last chapter:
  • Vulkan (Charizard) lvl 44
  • Sparrow (Fearow) lvl 42
  • DeeDee (Vaporeon) lvl 42
  • Hasselhoff (Wigglituff) lvl 41
  • Barney (Hypno) lvl 42
  • Kid Rock (Electrode) lvl 43
Log of dead Pokemon:
  • Anthony (Pidgey) lvl 5 to lvl 17
  • Batman (Zubat) lvl 6 to lvl 10
  • Shaggy (Oddish) lvl 8 to lvl 20
  • Cobra Kai (Ekans-Arbok) lvl 12 to lvl 22
  • Tom C (Rattata-Raticate) lvl 20-23
  • Twineedle (Weedle-Kakuna-Beedril) lvl 3 to lvl 36

As of 20th November 2020, while I'm writing chapter V, I've decided to tweak some things on the thread. I've added a few ad hoc rules (Champions Clause, Last Resort, and Game Over) as well as changing the series' title.

It was kinda weird that the nuzlocke series was called "The First of Many" since there'll be (obviously) more than one run, so from now onwards, the series will be called A Legend Rises, with the first run (aka this thread) being named The First of Many (much more appropriate).

Also, despite what I said earlier, finally I've decided that I'll only allow 1 catch in the whole Safari Zone, as otherwise I think it'd be a way too powerful source of good pokemon.

I'll be happy to answer any questions! I just hope I'm ready for the road ahead 😄 The thread will get updates sporadically, as I have free time from the university.

That should be all for now, wish me luck!

Last edited:

DestinyDragonGS

Plays way too many Fighting games
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
I can attest to disliking the series' low difficulty. It's extra annoying when there's a sudden spike and you realize you suddenly have to grind.
As for a question are you going to go after any of the gen 1 glitch super boss trainers? like Professor Oak or Agatha Ultima?

0 Anonymous

Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Nice plan to go through em all, and I always like to see Gen 1 runs. Can be a little jank and aren't the hardest to get a strong team in, but if you don't know what to expect they'll snap you in half.

How are you planning on tackling Safari Zone capture rules?

Train27

King of Derps
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
Normal
Pokédex Entry
Usually seen calmly grazing at the computer, turning pizza and caffeine into code.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
are you going to go after any of the gen 1 glitch super boss trainers? like Professor Oak or Agatha Ultima?
Well, my ultimate goal is to play through the whole series, so I'd really like to cut down on extra/postgame content as to not stretch too much the time this'll take. So no, my runs will be limited to beating the league champion (and in some cases where a reasonably big/challenging/interesting postgame area is unlocked afterwards, I might consider following through a bit).

How are you planning on tackling Safari Zone capture rules?
I thought of allowing a single capture per section. I believe gen 1 safari has like 4 sections, so a total of 4 captures, one in each section.

Episode I: A new beginning

You know how this goes: we're sick of playing with our NES, we get the potion from the PC, go outside to get murdered attacked by wild pokemon, and good ol' Prof. Oak appears to save our life the day. We're then given the pokemon election before his annoying grandchildren, and of course, we pick...

Because Bulbasaur would be just too easy, and because good fire type pokemons are only available sometime later in the game (yes, he's named Vulkan after the Salamander's primarch, I'm a huge 40k fan so this was sooo obvious to me).

We move on to Viridian City, taking out a few wild encounters on our way (we don't have pokeballs yet, to these don't count, but don't worry, you'll see...).
When we reach the city, we notice there's a guy in the Pokemon Center who doesn't really get the concept of personal space.
Can I have some privacy man?

As usual we become UPS personnel for a while, and we get handed the Pokedex... but no pokeballs?! Man, it's sure been ages since I last played gen1, I must be mixing things up. So anyway, we make our way back to Viridian city and... pokeballs are how much?! And you sell no potions at the first store?! JFC game design in 1995 🤣

After being robbed by the store owner buying some reasonably-priced pokeballs and a few antidotes (just in case) we return to route 1 for our first encounter. Geez, a lvl 2 Pidgey. Well, I guess it's better than not... nvm, classic crit mistake, this one's on me.
We then peek route 2 to try some luck and this time I'm able to grab myself Anthony, a lvl 5 Pidgey. We then repeat the process in route 22 and get a hold of Sparrow, a low level Spearow... which had a VERY close call when grinding.

I briefly visit Viridian forest to see what our new acquisition would be, and obtain Twineedle the Weedle, who'll help us take down our rival thanks to his poison sting. However, the same strategy won't work against Brock who's spamming Full Heal like a madman, and our evolved Beedril doesn't seem to have much of a chance here.

Btw I thank the pokemon gods that Brock's mons don't know any rock-type moves in this gen, because holy **** my whole team's weak against him. Slowly but steadily, and playing around Onyx's bide, we beat Brock without casualties and proceed to the next destiny: route 3.

What perils will await the team there...?

Last edited:

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Ah, there is nothing like those first moments of Nuzlocking. I remember having somewhat similar thoughts when I was first introduced to Pokemon Go feeling that it just wasn't enough and only a part of the whole classic pokemon experience I loved so much in my youth, which got me back to pokemon games and eventually due to the difficulty I luckily found out about Nuzlocking.

Best of luck on your journey throughout the generations! A fine start so far.

0 Anonymous

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
*stomp stomp*

Crossing my fingers you get Jigglypuff / Clefairy luck. Throw a Moon Stone and a few TMs / HMs on them and they're good to GO.

Pretty solid team already! It'll be interesting to see how you take on Mt. Moon and Misty.

Train27

King of Derps
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
Normal
Pokédex Entry
Episode II: Mt. Grief
Route 3 offered some challenges that, fortunately, we were able to overcome. Sparrow started to shine as a real damage dealer thanks to its high atk stat and better move pool than Anthony. I was lucky enought to not be poisoned by any of the numerous poison-type pokemon that you face in this route, so I could beat it in one go.

We then took our chance at our route 3 encounter... and *ding ding ding*, we found a Jiggl-NO, Anthony what did you do?! Ooooof, it lived off of 1hp. Damn, what a true survivor... wait... I know how I'm naming you! Hasselhoff the Jigglipuff is born.

We grind him a little to be on-par with the rest of the team, and head off to explore the first floor of Mt. Moon, which I've challenged myself to clear in one sweep, without visiting the PokeCenter. Our encounter is... a low level Zubat. Meh, a bit disappointing, I was expecting a Geodude, but oh well... Welcome to the team, Batman.
I grind him a little and realize that I still don't have any way of dealing with rock/ground types... until I realize that Hasselhoff can learn Water Gun from the TM I just found! This is great, it'll help me go past these guys without having to pull off cheesy strats in the future.

After sweeping the first floor I go back to the PokeCenter, and return to finish the rest of Mt. Moon. There's only one way now, no matter what happens, I'm coming out of this cave on the other side. Once Hasselhoff reachers lvl 14 and learns Disable, I evolve him with a Moon Stone (as his movepool will be TM-based), and also get Vulkan to evolve into Charmeleon.

However the second floor was very rough on us, with a lot of my team on the ropes. Most of them won't even be able to take a hit, I've got to tread lightly.
But then the worst happened... I completely forgot about the grunt with the lvl 16 Raticate, and found out when it was too late. My team is in shambles, no one can take two hits from this guy, and even if I got in a clean switch I'm unsure wether I could kill it. With a heavy heart, I stay in Anthony and spam Sand attack while I use my 3 available potions hoping for a Tail Whip (which eventually happens), and when I've run out of items to use (remember, max 3 items in battle) he dies to the deadly Hyper Fang, leaving us with the first death of the run 😭 , just 1 level away from evolving...

I'm in a real tough spot: I really don't want to lose my evolved pokemon, switching to Batman is pointless, and Beedril might not even be fast enough to attack before dying. I'm left without options, so Sparrow joins the fray. Going for Growl in case he doesn't make it past the first attack, and crossing my fingers to not get hit, we pull it off thanks to a few good Fury Attacks and a few consecutive misses (all due to Anthony's sacrifice, even in death I still throw sand serve).

That was a real close call, he could have sweeped my entire team in its sorry state. The aftermath is really sad, but we still have the final stretch ahead of us. I take a moment to heal up my team, but I only have 3 potions left, so I have to be wise on who will I heal. My Wigglituff has too big of a health pool now to heal him, it would consume all my resources, so I choose to heal both Vulkan and Twineedle.
I miscalculated and lost Batman to a wild Rattata. It's always a bumer to lose pokemons, but I really didn't care much for him; oh well, another RIP.
We beat the last Team Rocket grunt and the PokeNerd, get the fossil (Helix, of course), and leave the place.

We get to Cerulean City to lick our wounds and bid our farewell to Anthony (and Batman, I guess...). Afterwards we restock on items in the shop selling an HP Up that we won't need (come on, it's a single EV...), and get a new substitute for our team: Cobra Kai the Ekans.

With the first death already at our backs, and three new challenges up ahead, how will the hand of destiny treat the team...?

Last edited:

Train27

King of Derps
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
Normal
Pokédex Entry
Episode III: An eye for an eye

After grinding the team for a bit, we step north to fight our rival, confident enough that we have numbers advantage, even without overleveling him. I lead with Vulkan, as I know he won't be of much help if I need him later (due to my rival's Squirtle). Even though he gets Pidgeotto pretty low, I've taken enough sand attacks to not be so sure if I can kill it, even if he doesn't crit me with Quick Attack, so I switch him out for Twineedle, knowing that his next pokemon is an Abra that only knows Teleport (sad).

Even though he still hasn't learned Twineedle (the move :P) he takes good care of his Rattata and deals a hefty amount to his Squirtle thanks to a few lucky Fury Attacks. However it gets mauled pretty low, so I decide to switch in Hasselhoff, my HP tank, to secure the match without losses.

After a quick refill at the PokeCenter, I get back to face the bridge challenge, this time leading with Cobra Kai to try and get him up to speed with the rest, and here it gets it first close call againt a Rattata.
The rest of routes 24-25 and Cerulean City were pretty uneventful. I was lucky enough to catch Shaggy the Oddish at route 25, which would prove an invaluable asset when taking down Misty; however my route 24 encounter was an Abra that got away 😥 . Sparrow almost dies to the Team Rocket grunt's Drowzee because I was careless with his hypnosis.

I decide it's about time I evolve him, so I take a bit of time off to grind in Route 6. There I got a hold of a low level Mankey, but lost my route 5 encounter to an unfortunate crit. Next stop: SS. Anne. I feel confident enough to challenge myself to beat the whole cruise ship in one go (unaware that the room with the lady healing your pokemon was NOT present in gen 1).

This mistake proved to be the downfall of Shaggy (RIP), who died to the third consecutive confuse self-hit against an enemy Magnemite (damn, another Pokemon lost just a level shy of its evolution...). My stubbornness also resulted in a lot of close calls for the rest of the team, who spent most of the challenge pretty much at their limit. And when I say a lot, I mean A LOT. I almost thought I was going to get swept one or two times. Having lost my only plant pokemon, and with no electrical moves on the team, I had to rely heavily on Twineedle's high rolls on Fury Attacks and spamming Cobra Kai's Wrap to get by.

Because of my poor judgement, my team was once again in shambles. It all sounded too familiar to the Raticate disaster from Episode II, so I begrudgingly accept to make a visit to the PokeCenter before the rival battle. I also took the chance to go for my Diglett cave's (which unfortunately died to a critical 5-hit fury attack from Sparrow) and route 11 encounters. There I caught Barney the Drowzee. Knowing that Hypno is very powerful in gen1 due to both Special stats being only one, I decide to get him on par with the rest of the team (and keep the previous mankey benched for now).

Following the same strategy from the previous rival encounter, I lead with Vulkan, and this time I beat his pidgeotto with a wider margin. I have to plan for his Kadabra, he's very fast and he could just grind me with Hypnosis+Confusion, so my plan is to go with Hasselhoff. His Raticate is so underleveled at this point than I'm not even worried about Hyper Fang. I put Kadabra to sleep, and switch to Twineedle in hopes of at least a 2-turn sleep. Had he woken up on-switch, I'd have to switch back to Hasselhoff and repeat the process, since I can't afford to take a single Confusion on him.
Thankfully, he woke up after the switch, and due to how sleep worked in gen1, that turn he didn't get to do anything, meaning I had free access for a 1hit-ko with Twineedle (or rather, a "two" hit ko :P).

Next up is Wartortle, and Twineedle has effectively 75 power due to stab, meaning it's probably my strongest move right now, so I stay with Beedril in hopes on poisoning him. I'm forced to switch into Cobra Kai due to 2 consecutive critical hits, but then I miss 2 Wraps and in return I get another 2 critical hits, for a total of 4 crits in a row from my rival's Wartortle. RNG being RNG I guess 🤣 🤣 I take out Sparrow who pecks (figuratively) his Wartortle to death, ending the match for good with no losses.

So far so good, I haven't lost any Pokemon in my 3 rival battles. With that, we bid farewell to the SS. Anne, and next up is Vermilion City Gim.
But of course it wouldn't be our classic run without a few close calls, this time against the Gym trainers. I decide it's time to get a few levels on the party before confronting LT Surge, just as to not be caught off-guard.
During training, Cobra Kai evolves intro an Arbok. Neat, this will surely come in handy, I'm starting to get a like for this mon, I hope nothing bad happens to it :D

Time to get our badge, LT Surge, this war is over!

I know his Voltorb has Sonic Boom (scary **** for low level pokemon) so I start off with Cobra Kai, which I know can take at least 3 hits and I can deny him with Wrap. So far, successful, and I'm even able to take on his Pikachu with relative ease. Time to face Raichu and...

- You want the medal?
+ I think I'm entitled to!
- You want the medal?!
+ I WANT THE MEDAL!
- YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE MEDAL!

Noooooooooooooo!!! 40hp from a single Thundershock, not even critical hit, and just like that LT Surge is back in the fight. Sparrow is completely out of the picture, and seeing the raw power of that Raichu made me really reluctant to throw Vulkan. Anyone is subject to a 2-hit ko from his thundershock, and a paralysis on top of that would just be a death sentence. Holy molly, how I miss that would-be Diglet we could've got...

I send Twineedle to, at least, try to chip some damage off of him, and right off the bat we get critted AND paralyzed, jeez... My Beedrill pulls through the paralysis and like a true hero takes an enormous chunk of his HP with Twineedle. I switch to Hasselhoff, who has the most chances of resisting, crossing my fingers for LT Surge not to heal up his Raichu, and proceed to pound him to dust (pun intended).

We get the Vermilion Gym's Badge, though at a great cost... Cobra Kai's (RIP) Wrap+Toxic future combination would've saved our asses multiple times, I'm sure. Bidding farewell, and as this is a Teamlocke run, I decide to leave my last team slot open for now, instead of having to grind our boxed Mankey in hopes of a good catch in Rock Tunnel (as my only available capture in Route 9 is a Rattata, due to Dupes Clause).
Fully healed and geared up, we stand to face Route 9 and Rock Tunnel, two long stretches of challenges ahead.

We've already seen the team struggle in the previous cave, how will Rock Tunnel treat us this time...?

P.S.: I'm totally dumb and forgot about Visual Boy's emulation options, and I've been playing this whole time in GB mode, this is why all the screenshots were black&white, my mistake, from now on we'll be playing on SGB mode.

Last edited:

0 Anonymous

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Oh shoot I missed an update. The Murdercate takes another victim :argh: but :fairytype: is caught, so everything is balanced.

RIP Cobra Kai, I have a soft spot for Arboks. They're so frail though...

I am genuinely surprised you haven't gotten a Rattata up to this point. And also didn't know VBA even HAD a color mode! Learn something new every day.

DestinyDragonGS

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
Sorry I'm late school and work have been kicking my ass.

We then took our chance at our route 3 encounter... and *ding ding ding*, we found a Jiggl-NO, Anthony what did you do?! Ooooof, it lived off of 1hp. Damn, what a true survivor... wait... I know how I'm naming you! Hasselhoff the Jigglipuff is born.
I see there's another Kung Fury fan on the forums

Train27

King of Derps
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
Normal
Pokédex Entry
The Murdercate takes another victim :argh: but :fairytype: is caught, so everything is balanced.
Yeah it was kind of a bumer, but at the same time I guess it's moments like these that really give flavour to a nuzlocke run 🤔 .
And also didn't know VBA even HAD a color mode!
Yeah, apparently it has a ton of emulation modes built in (classic Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Super Game Boy...) though I really don't know the difference between all them x)
I see there's another Kung Fury fan on the forums

Episode IV: Piece of Cake
Let's take where we left off last time. Time to face Route 9!
...aaaand we completely bust all the trainers in the area. Like, no sweat at all, I'm starting to have some type coverage and it's showing off. Well, time to get our encounter here I guess; it has to be a Rattata, since it's the only wild mon here that we haven't caught yet. I'm not excited about it, but I guess it's at least something. I was planning on naiming him Tom Cruise, but I accidentally pressed enter too soon and, well, Tom C is born.

As I was crossing the last patch of grass just north of the cave's entrance, a wild Voltorb appear. Oh man, does Voltorb appear in route 9 and I just caught a Rattata? FML... But wait, it seems really off, let's check...
What? This space north of the PokeCenter is considered Route 10 in gen1? Jackpot!! And thus, Kid Rock joins the party. Or, the PC rather, since this is a Teamlocke run, I can't include him until someone in the party dies.
I'm not going to say anything, and I'm not going to look at anyone, but we all know.

Well, I know there are some Geodudes and Machops in Rock Tunnel, and I only have a few effective moves against those. I know this is the first encounter with explosion mons, so just so be safe, I grind a few levels above usual (but still trying to not go too overboard).

We end our grinding session, aaand... oh crap, I completely forgot about the whole Flash thing... Jeez, back to route 2 I guess.

On the way to route 2 we get a little scare from a Dugtrio in Diglett's Cave (remember, we lost our encounter here in the previous episode) because of the lvl difference, but eventually get by without issues. When getting there, I had to deal with one of the (many) annoyances from gen1: the (very) limited bag space :facepalm: so I left everything that I wasn't planning to use on the short run in the pc, and got back to Rock Tunnel.

We go into the cave, and our first encounter, which could be either Geodude, Onix, or Machop (since we already caught a Zubat in
Episode II). Onix would kinda suck, as Graveler is much better. Yay! Wish granted, so we add Gru the Geodude to our PC. We easily get by the trainers, and since Karate Chop is normal-type in gen1, I don't even feel the need to switch Hasselhoff against the enemy Machop (which, coupled with the abundance of rock types, means that he's going to go a bit overboard on extra exp).

I feel safe enough (and a bit bored of spamming Bubblebeam) to take on a few Geodudes with Tom C, who can, albeit slower, deal with them after a coupler Leers+Hyperfang. However, one of the Geodudes explodes, killing him (RIP). Oh... no... such a tragedy... We are all very sad, *insert sad phrase*.
What? No! How could you ask that? Of course I didn't do it on purpose. Look, I know what I said, but it's just a sad of a death as any ...kinda.

Well, whatever the case, we make it past Rock Tunnel but there's still some trainers ahead, and I know those Gravelers know Explosion. Hasselhoff should be the ideal candidate to tank them, but he's just out of Bubblebeam PP, and taking them down with Pound would be too many turns asking to get exploded on the face. So I decide to lead with Barney, and spam Hypnosis+Confusion since I'm faster, hitting them on the Special side where they're weaker.

We recover in Lavender town, and go straight to beat our rival senseless since we were already a bit overleveled for Rock Tunnel. We lead with the same strategy that has worked in multiple occasions, leading with Vulkan, then answering his (new) Growlithe with our trusty firefighter Hasselhoff, and giving Twineedle a clean switch into Exeggute thanks to Sing, after which it's just a clean sweep whith a whopping x6 damage on Twineedle against his Exeggute. Man, I really hope we don't lose him because he'll be really useful when taking down late-game Exeggutors.

As we don't have the Silph Scope yet, it's kind of pointless to keep climbing, and actually some of the wild Haunters overlevel us, so we'll head to Celadon first. On the way we pick Kid Rock from the PC and get him up to speed with the rest of the team for the challenges to come. He'll be really useful when traversing routes 12 and 13 (nevermind the seaway to Cinnabar Island!). Sadly we (yet again) lose our encounter from Route 8. Man, I really have to stop this needless killing.

While cruising through the route to Celadon city, Barney evolves, getting ourselves one heck of a great mon from gen1 (remember, before the Special stat split that hurt Hypno so bad; well that and the Dark type). We also get to see a glimpse of the "greatness" of gen1 crits in Kid Rock, who's rocking (pun intended) that 100 base Speed (meaning it's crit chance is 19,5% instead of the gen2+ usual of 6,25%). C R A Z Y.

However clumsy we may be, looks like fate smiles upon us! And we're able to catch our own Growlithe on route 7, whom I'll name Russ. Don't get too excited either buddy, you're a replacement for Vulkan if things go wrong 👀
We get to the city and completely sack it purchase some good from the mall and steal get an Eevee from a rooftop (I mean, no one really said anything, it was just a pokeball laying there....).

Upon recovering from our shopping spree, we inmediately head for Celadon Gym. 4/6 of my Pokemon have the type advantage against the gym, and 3 of them even have resistance. This should be a piece of cake.

Man, after what I did in there, I think I'm going to get sued by Greenpeace (remember, 'No fleeing' clause, we must fight every trainer). We got a little scare when Erika's Vileplume started spamming its Petal Dance, but even with its bulky-ish stats, he went down in three Pecks from Sparrow.

I was actually going to cut it here, but Rocket's Hideout was just such a breeze with Barney evolved that I'll include it just as a nice wrap-up for this episode. Why is the music here so jarring? It got to the point of giving me actual headaches. And the "spinner" thingies, why on earth are they so slow? It was e x a s p e r a t i n g.

Giovanni? Well, he IS a main character, so he should be undefeatable...
But then I remembered an even more main character*... Wiggly-Wiggly motherf*****!
Hasselhoff just slaps his Onix and Rhyhorn aside and proceeds to put Kangaskhan to sleep for a grand total of 5 turns, giving Barney ample time to confuse him (in his sleep, I guess?) to death. So I grab the Silph Scope and get out of there for good.
This section was easy, I guess one could say... it was a piece of cake.

*Well, in our nuzlocke run, at least :P

Now the much more difficult Saffron City is up ahead, how will the next adventures treat the team...?

Last edited:

DestinyDragonGS

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Giovanni? Well, he IS a main character, so he should be undefeatable...
But then I remembered an even more main character*... Wiggly-Wiggly motherf*****!
Never expected to see anyone reference Kilian on here. But I guess that's just the Kilian Experience.

AerialAce40

used Fly!
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is characterized by its fiery passion, cool demeanor and exterior, and affinity for staying hydrated.
Agreeing with RubyClaw, Hasselhoff is a tank and it's just something you love to see. The first Nuzlocke experience is always awesome! Keep it up!

Train27

King of Derps
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
Normal
Pokédex Entry
Man Hasselhoff is a beast! Best of luck vs Sabrina.
Agreeing with RubyClaw, Hasselhoff is a tank and it's just something you love to see
(S)He sure is! I don't know why he has so much attack tho, with all the rock-type pokemons I've beaten with it I'd thought he'd have more defense EVs or something 🤷‍♂️
About Sabrina, as I don't have any effective moves against her, I think I'll be going for Koga first (given that they're both at the same level cap).
But I guess that's just the Kilian Experience.

Episode V: Run! Not in circles you idiot!

What? You thought we'd go straight for Saffron City? HA!

I might be dumb but I'm not stupid 🤣 my Pokemon are way underleveled for it, Saffron City is very long and very hard (that's what she said), it's probably the toughest point of RBY mid-game, so we'll actually be circling around it for a bit, until we feel confident enough to take on the challenge.

Anyways, our first stop is the Pokemon Tower, that we left after defeating our rival last time. We take the chance to grind both Kid Rock and Vulkan for a bit (getting a bit greedy knowing exactly how much damage these Ghastlys deal each turn) and eventually put the Silph Scope to good use, getting rid of the Rocket goons and the PokeFlute! During a stance here, we get ourselves a Ghastly for our PC collection (which I named Moe).

On our way to unlock route 12, where our trusty Thunderbolt will take good care of these fishermen. Oh boy, time for the Snorlax encounter! I really don't want to be here half an hour, so I start by using the totally broken in gen1 X Accuracy on Barney. This way, since I'm faster, Snorlax will be sleeping permanently, so I can throw at him as many balls as I want without a care in the world.
Aaaand yup! Got'em, say hello to Goonie (...and goobye as well, since he's joining the rest in the PC).

Oh god, did we totally forget to clear Route 11? Omg, I was so focused on the SS Anne and the gym that I totally forgot about the trainers here. Well, it's not like it's much of a challenge anymore, but I guess the rules are the rules (remember, we must battle every trainer).

Well that was awkward, but now that it's out of the way, let's keep going! My team is starting to look strong, and since Celadon Gym and Rocket Hideout were such a pushover, I challenge myself to complete routes 12-15 (the whole road to Fuchsia City) in one go, without leaving for a PokeCenter. Will this backfire as it has every single time I've tried it...? I guess we're about to know :P.

Well, I already knew this is actually the longest "route" (it's actually 4 routes conjoined, but in one long stretch) of the game, but sweet jesus, there were
So. Many. Trainers. 😩
I started the route with, like, 20 Super Potions or something like that, and by the end I only had 3 left. Most of my Pokemon had even run out of damaging moves PP . Just so you get an idea, Vulkan ran out of Scratch/Ember PP the very same fight he leveled up to lvl 33 and learned Slash, and then RAN OUT OF SLASH PP on the following battles.
Kid Rock evolved early in the route while fighting one of the fishermen, giving us the very powerful (in gen1) Electrode, with a whopping 140 base Speed, meaning his attacks have a 27,3% crit chance because of how gen1 critical hits work.

While traversing these routes we also get a few encounters on our way: Jar-Jar the Venonat, Doom the Gloom, and Squidward the Tentacool (yes, I'm that original).

While at Fuchsia City I took my time to rest a bit, and do something different for a change, so I took my hunting shotgun the safari balls and went on a tour across the wild Zafari! I didn't really feel like banging my head with which pokemon should I be trying to catch, so I just Super-Repel my way to the last house where I'm gifted with the HM for Surf, and also pick up some gold teeth on the way.

Getting back to Fuchsia City I think to myself: "Hey, I bet these would be worth a lot on the black market didn't the old safari guard sound odd?"
Long story short, I get the HM for Strength, and Hasselhoff once again bailing us out, being the only one that can learn it. It's also a great choice, as this will replace Pound as his primary damage source as a stab move.

While I'm here I also get Hydra the Doduo at route 18, and Max Payne the Horsea (yeah, come to think of it maybe too much of a badass name for a little seahorse :laugh: ).

I've got nothing left to do at Fuchsia City except for the gym, which I'm still a bit underlevel to face, so I decide to clear Route 17. As I've already captured all the pokemon that appear in the grass here, I have to get my catch with the (super) rod, with which I get Silver the Goldeen (pun intended) added to our PC collection.

The route was actually pretty easy being that every pokemon these trainers have are either poison or fighting type, meaning it's payday for Barney.

Time for our second Snorlax encounter! I don't have any X Accuracy with me to repeat last time's strategy, and I'm too lazy to retrace half the f*cking region just to reach a mall that is literally 50 steps away from where I'm standing. So, I lead with Hasselhoff with a similar plan in mind, but it seems we underestimated our strength (pun inteded) and crit-kill it :/
Wait, now that I make this point... did we just make a really long circle from and to Saffron City? Have we been running in circles?

Anyway, I'm finally able to get HM Fly at this point. At last we have something to replace Sparrow's Peck as a more respectable move, and we can also give Vulkan some covera...
??? Wait what? Charizard can't learn FLY? Doduo who doesn't even have WINGS can learn it but Charizard can't?
OMG. I'm so salty rn 🧂🧂 🧂 🧂
I looked it up, it's fixed in Pokemon Yellow, but for Red/Blue he's locked out of Fly, this is so sad :(

Well, whatever, let's detox a bit from all this saltiness. This chapter doesn't really have a gym, so at least we'll cover the "Fighting Gym" as a training exercise. Barney would be a good pick, but his effective move, Confusion, is a bit weak at this point of the game, and he'll receive a big chunk of experience when taking down Koga later on.
So I decide to go with Sparrow, who has a stronger move in Fly (and while battling I actually get another great move on him, Drill Peck, which will be his main source of damage from now on).

Blackbelt is defeated with but a scratch on our side, getting us a fake paper medal Bruce Lee (peak point of innovation here) who joins the rest of the crew in PCLand.

The team has fared well in this chapter, but next up is the fearsome Silph Co, what will Giovanni have in mind to stop us...?

Last edited:

0 Anonymous

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
I always feel bad for the Dojo mon because like 9 times out of 10 they never see the light of day again lol

The Pokeflute is actually one of those sleeper items that's secretly pretty useful. Not great, but convenient.

It is weird that Zard can't fly, but at the same time, does Zard want to fly?

Silph Co.'s gonna be a marathon if you're going for all trainers, hope you aren't sick of Raticate yet haha.

THKS

Long-Time Nuzlocker, First-Time User
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 15, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Ground, Normal
Pokédex Entry
"No matter what I do, I do it just for you."
I'm enjoying this Nuzlocke, so far. I'm excited to see how your team goes at Silph Co and against Giovanni. Good luck, Train.

Oh, and Doduo/Dodrio apparently fly by moving their legs, which makes just as much sense.

Last edited:

Train27

King of Derps
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
Normal
Pokédex Entry
The Pokeflute is actually one of those sleeper items that's secretly pretty useful. Not great, but convenient.
Well, I am well stocked in Full Heals, so now that I've taken care of the Snorlax, it's going out the window to the pc real fast 🤣
Damn limited bag space...

It is weird that Zard can't fly, but at the same time, does Zard want to fly?
Oh, and Doduo/Dodrio apparently fly by moving their legs, which makes just as much sense.
It's just... very dumb haha
I actually wanted to give Charizard Fly in order to have a stab-move for his flying type. Otherwise, it's just a major hassle except for dealing with Earthquake

Silph Co.'s gonna be a marathon if you're going for all trainers, hope you aren't sick of Raticate yet haha.
I'm excited to see how your team goes at Silph Co and against Giovanni. Good luck, Train.
Yes! No fleeing, no shamefur dispray! It's going to be a long chapter, so I'll try living it up with memes :P

Chapter VI: Nakatomi Plaza

We can't delay it any longer, it's time to face the challenges of Saffron City, where Team Rocket has taken over a skyscraper, and apparently the SWAT has decided to outsource this job to an 11 year old: us.
...wait. I'm in a corporate skyscraper full of hostages, that has been taken over by a crime group that is definitely east german?[1]
Pokemon Red and Blue launched in Europe in 1999, exactly 11 years after Die Hard was released. Coincidence...? I most certainly think not, Mr Gruber.

Well, whatever, time to take on... eleven, eleven floors?! God damn, they really went overboard with the whole Skyscraper concept. Well, at least we can exploit some of the gen1 nonsense by abusing Twineedle's Twineedle against all the poison type pokemons these guys boast.

Well, these guys sure have a weird german accent. I don't know what 'Bitte hör auf mich zu schlagen' means, but I'm sure as hell going to keep beating their asses!
Sparrow is, thanks to his renewed movepool, finding a spot again as an all-around physical damage dealer, and so is Vulkan with Slash. However we get a close call when two consecutive Voltorbs decide to explode, one after the order, in the same battle. I have to be more careful from here on out.

The team is fairly leveled up, and all this fighting only increases our level advantage. However the slow, yet constant, wearing down of the many multi-pokemon battles are starting to take a toll on some of our team members, both in HP and PP.

After not-so-much as running but wandering around, I finally get a very important item, so I use the elevator to send Giovanni a rocket grunt's corpse with a note: Now I have a Card Key, Ho Ho ho!
What? You want me to stop the Die Hard references? But I haven't even gotten to the good ones D:

Whatever, I'm about to stomp the place with an army of Wigglytuffs. An army of one!
The hallways and corridors of Silph Co. are filled with a sweet soothing melody... just as relaxing as it is deadly, as Hasselhoff proceeds to slap the everloving fuck out of Team Rocket.

What is it? Clefable is better you say? Fuck you.

We take a moment from our slaughter and are greeted by our rival, and we finally have something better to open with against his Pidgeot than Vulkan. As our only fire coverage for now, Hasselhoff takes down his Growlithe, and stays to sleep his next pokemon in order to set it up for Twineedle, who destroys both Exeggute and Alakazam (who goes for a turn-1 recover, weirdly).

We give it a go and see if we can actually dent his Blastoise, but it's no use, we deal no damage at all. As Barney has a higher Special stat that my Wigglytuff, he switches in as a pivot to sleep it, and get a free switch to Kid Rock, who finishes him off.

After the fight with our rival, we're gifted a Lapras! Sadly, as we've seen many teams, due to the Teamlocke clause, Pazos has to stay in the PC until someone from our party dies.

Hey, there's Giovanni! And the president! Let me in! Let me iiiiiiiiin!

Oh yeah, I have the machine gun card key, I completely forgot.

He's like three times my size and could probably knock me out in one hit, but he challenges me to a Pokemon duel.[2]
Hans Giovanni: Why do I hear boss mussic?
Hasselhoff: I'm about to end this man's whole career.

"Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker" - Mumbles Hasselhoff as he throws Giovanni off the eleventh floor of Silph Co, plummeting to his death.

"That... was unnecessarily violent, even by a crimelord standards." - nervously comments Silph's CEO, who gifts me a Master Ball in fear of my Wigglytuff continuing his killing spree.

Whew, we finally saved Nakatomi Plaza Silph Co and it's out of the way. It certainly was a long run, and possibly gratuitously violent, but at least our team is now ready to take on the two Gyms ahead of us! (Fuchsia+Saffron)

Having cleared most of mainland Kanto, how will the team fare against two of the toughest gyms in the region...?

Last edited:

THKS

Long-Time Nuzlocker, First-Time User
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 15, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Ground, Normal
Pokédex Entry
"No matter what I do, I do it just for you."
Arceus... Hasselhoff is not only a true survivor, but also a real action hero. Bruce Willis, eat your heart out.

0 Anonymous

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Gen 1 Machoke sprite always makes me laugh.

Man, talk about a murder spree. F for Giovanni

Die Schläge werden fortgesetzt, bis sich mein Team verbessert

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)