• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Johto Teen A Hardcore Nuzlocke of Pokemon Crystal

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
OP
theoblivinator

theoblivinator

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Poison
HERE WE GO!

agt9DJr.jpg

I missed the screenshot of getting this from the Chansey. I actually managed to roll the odds and nab a Lucky Egg. THIS IS THE ONLY REASON I AM ABLE TO GET THIS UPDATE OUT THIS SOON. HAD I NOT BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN OBTAINING THE LUCKY EGG, THE GRIND PROBABLY WOULD HAVE TAKEN AT LEAST ANOTHER MONTH. THANK GOD!

Anyways I ground the team up to level 77. Once I got the Lucky Egg it consisted of battling the trainers on the Fast Ship Aqua. A few rematches with the E4, and also grinding in and out of Mt. Silver. It was still very tedious.

M2Asidp.jpg
fxb2C4m.jpg
xKDmYqT.jpg

Kappa gets an upgrade over Ice Fang. His moveset is now complete. And once we finished the grind it is time to take care of Cosmo.

ayORRPT.jpg
Wf3ZkzB.jpg
4i1GKtm.jpg
ikm6H71.jpg

I used the Move Deleter to forget Cut.

WflBfho.jpg
A3Q16Qg.jpg

I don't know if this will be all that useful for the battle with Red, but I want options if needed.

VsIR5iy.jpg

Z-One learned Flash over Supersonic. I want Flash to show off collecting all the items in Mt. Silver without having to bang and bump my way around in the dark. That wraps up all the moveset changes, now lets get to collecting. The last collection in the game.

CdIptGv.jpg
s8iAp2z.jpg

Flash really makes this so much better.

fGYQ3Kv.jpg
VqTT31j.jpg
LDfMSzc.jpg
k1gj8JG.jpg
gjsqtSH.jpg
iA4Stg7.jpg
IKjrLw4.jpg
E3LUxFn.jpg
oiwb6de.jpg
zzshqTH.jpg
uv1t5t5.jpg
mAtD0AR.jpg

I'll leave it to you readers to figure out which ones were hidden and which ones were not. 😉
I want to think I got the majority of the hidden items in this game. Unfortunately there isn't very good documentation about them online, Bulbapedia is riddled with errors. You could dig around the Pokemon Crystal Disassembly project for the most absolute comprehensive list. At the very end I believe I pointed out some of the lesser known ones.

But now for the main show, the finale that I've been waiting for. Time to showdown with Red!

6XrHEUw.jpg
9JY2TBi.jpg

HERE.

WE.

GO!

U2n6diJ.jpg
IXLc80y.jpg
jYN0zic.jpg

Pikachu led with Charm which failed. Wilma got an OHKO with Earthquake.

tX9lPvw.jpg
1cgRNWg.jpg
LLRtEj5.jpg

Z-One should be able to tank a Psychic or two.

V9IPJMC.jpg
2m9lBZx.jpg

Espeon used Reflect as I switched in. Then it fired off a Psychic, which like I thought, didn't do a whole lot. Obviously we can't hold out forever though.

eqol3fO.jpg

A Thunder Wave should help even the odds a bit.

CQb4ND1.jpg

A Thunderbolt actually did a lot more than I predicted. Z-One tanks a 2nd Psychic.

FEZs8eL.jpg

And that makes two!

u1XryML.jpg
fwBBLgo.jpg

I'm taking a big gamble here. I'm predicting that Z-One can tank a Solarbeam. To help, I'm still going to paralyze it though.

iErZPAF.jpg
PDhvq6g.jpg

Thunderbolt did not do as much as expected....

4x0bHwG.jpg

NOW THAT IS CLUTCH.

yJmugBh.jpg
ZESFCax.jpg

Venusaur tries to set-up Solar Beam again, a second Thunderbolt managed to Critical Hit!

rOMxndg.jpg

NOW THAT IS DOUBLE CLUTCH!

luqc6Tr.jpg

Three down. Half way there!

9BhnLik.jpg
c754tdt.jpg

Wilma is going to be my Snorlax slayer. Rock Smash is clutch here. It is super effective and has a chance to lower defense. This strategy is what will break Snorlax's Rest/Para-flinch attacks. Wilma can tank Body Slams and Snores and recover with Leftovers.

8DfiTEi.jpg
dchkS0E.jpg

Snorlax used Amnesia. One Rock Smash doesn't do much now, but over time it adds up.

ZHN1rFw.jpg

Case in point.

BrJO1ev.jpg

Eventually Body Slam causes paralysis. If Snorlax uses Snore while asleep from Rest, there is a chance for flinch. Hence the Para-flinch strategy.

fEDDF2x.jpg
4cUsEcY.jpg

It is definitely a grind. But every Rock Smash that lowers the defense stat brings us one step closer.

eCCWqYX.jpg

FINALLY!

UAjB4Qh.jpg
UBeICky.jpg

Time for you to shine Cosmo!

VgrBjNF.jpg

Cosmo tanks the Surf on the switch in.

hDqog79.jpg
nQzxyMS.jpg

Whirlpool traps us. Then Cosmo lands a critical hit Petal Dance. This is problematic since now Cosmo is stuck continuing to Petal Dance. And the final Pokemon Charizard is about to come in... To be honest I was predicting that Petal Dance would have been a 2HKO.

yeDrzZL.jpg
70z42rn.jpg

OH NO! COSMO JUST BARELY SURVIVED THAT. AND HE IS STILL STUCK IN PETAL DANCE...

Q1gLQ4S.jpg

F'S in the chat bois. This death is on me. I had a solid plan, but Cosmo was ambitious and scored a Critical Hit when I wasn't planning for it that turned the plan on it's head. This sucks but his death is not in vain.

ESWUFpJ.jpg
BbSdv3A.jpg
Zpn4iSJ.jpg

Kappa wins it all with one Surf. I wasn't expecting Surf to OHKO but it did!

pbv8zIQ.jpg
zQlzBeu.jpg
NwhInf5.jpg
rwnKfeE.jpg

And there is it. The final battle finished. A successful Hardcore Nuzlocke of Pokemon Crystal done on original hardware. Is that a first for this forum? Maybe or maybe not (I never really checked haha).

Cheers everyone and thanks for coming along with me for this challenge. It was definitely fun and provided some challenging moments that I haven't experienced before. I hope you enjoyed reading along and found it entertaining at the very least. Thanks again and I hope you have tremendous day! :D

I decided to omit this from the main update as to try and keep that more positive. I still want to put some final thoughts down.

Will I do another hardcore nuzlocke? - As of now, no. To be completely honest, I'm disappointed with the lack of activity this run got. To me, it seems like it wasn't that well received nor enjoyed by the majority of users of this forum.

I'm extremely thankful for all the comments and replies and reactions to this challenge from the few core users who took time to post responses to my updates. I just thought there would be more. To me, this is pretty novel idea. I haven't searched a whole lot, but I don't see too many runs that are similar to mine. I figured I was being a little original, maybe I just had my expectations to high, or I'm completely ignorant and there are a plethora of runs on here that used real hardware. Who knows.

If I do decided to record another run to share, I will definitely finish the run before I start posting updates. I've had an itch to do a hardcore nuzlocke of Emerald or Platinum next, both of which I could play on real hardware and share on here (I have a DS capture card as well). I feel like part of this run could have been improved if there were not some huge delays, especially towards the end of the run, that might have kept interest up a bit more. I also realize I'm a little dry in my commentary, that could be part of the problem as well.

Regardless, I don't want to come off a grump. Just wanted to put that out there in case someone asks later. Thanks again everyone for reading!

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
First of all, congratulations! An impressive accomplishment, hardcore Nuzlockes are never easy. I also really enjoyed seeing you use original hardware.

About the amount of comments and activity you got - First of all honestly this isn't a very big forum (nor is it YouTube sadly), and we are united for our love of Nuzlockes but divided over different media and genres we enjoy. Second of all, I suggest you interact with others. Read other Nuzlockes, comment on them, talk to folks on discord or play forum games. Once people get to know you the odds they will check out your run and see if they like it increases. Thirdly, consider playing with your presentstion style. More/less screenshots, different writing styles or extra aids, how you share your thoughts and stories, you'll both hopefully enjoy the creative process and perhaps make a product you like more. Finally, just enjoy it and don't worry too much - even if a few folks read it that's sort of cool that you spread your love of your game / own experience / your art right?

About finishing before you post perhaps that's a good idea as it gives you more control over what you post. The vast majority of folks here do that, though I'm personally in the minority who don't and post as they play as I really enjoy sharing it as "live" as I can, especially when doing blind runs.

Buttom line, don't be discouraged, and I had a great time following!

eggbite

looks like some kind of insect?
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 6, 2022
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
hey i happened to finally make an account the day this run ended! i'm a bit of a lurker but since you mentioned being disappointed by lack of engagement i wanted to comment. seeing it played on original hardware was really fun! your vileplume being named cosmo made me extra engaged cause that's my name and grass types are my favorite type tied with bug! congrats on a successful run as well. =)

OP
theoblivinator

theoblivinator

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Poison
First of all, congratulations! An impressive accomplishment, hardcore Nuzlockes are never easy. I also really enjoyed seeing you use original hardware.

About the amount of comments and activity you got - First of all honestly this isn't a very big forum (nor is it YouTube sadly), and we are united for our love of Nuzlockes but divided over different media and genres we enjoy. Second of all, I suggest you interact with others. Read other Nuzlockes, comment on them, talk to folks on discord or play forum games. Once people get to know you the odds they will check out your run and see if they like it increases. Thirdly, consider playing with your presentstion style. More/less screenshots, different writing styles or extra aids, how you share your thoughts and stories, you'll both hopefully enjoy the creative process and perhaps make a product you like more. Finally, just enjoy it and don't worry too much - even if a few folks read it that's sort of cool that you spread your love of your game / own experience / your art right?

About finishing before you post perhaps that's a good idea as it gives you more control over what you post. The vast majority of folks here do that, though I'm personally in the minority who don't and post as they play as I really enjoy sharing it as "live" as I can, especially when doing blind runs.

Buttom line, don't be discouraged, and I had a great time following!

I appreciate the comments you posted over the course of the run. I didn't want to sound like a complete debby downer with my final thoughts, perhaps I could have reworded what I said to put more of a positive spin on it.

Everything you said is completely fair and stuff I have looked into it. Thinking about it some more, I think the problem mostly lies with me. Most of the runs I see on this forum are just runs I don't enjoy reading. I don't want to read comics or written stories, or runs that heavily focus on plot or character development. The other runs are either hacks, which I'm not a fan of, or runs with huge long sets of rules, again, I'm not a fan of. I really want to read runs that are like the one I did, and I just don't see them on here that much. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

(I mentioned in my OP that I'm sort of a boomer in that sense XD).

Regardless, I'm still very happy that you enjoyed the run and appreciate the comments you left during it. Thank you again! :)

hey i happened to finally make an account the day this run ended! i'm a bit of a lurker but since you mentioned being disappointed by lack of engagement i wanted to comment. seeing it played on original hardware was really fun! your vileplume being named cosmo made me extra engaged cause that's my name and grass types are my favorite type tied with bug! congrats on a successful run as well. =)

I'm glad you made an account to show your enthusiasm for my run. Thank you very much! Cosmo was great and I think folks shy away from using Vileplume/Victrebell in GSC when I think they are great additions to a team that needs a grass type. It is a bummer that Cosmo was lost during the final fight do to my miscalculation.

Also this is for anyone, how do you move this run to completed runs now? I looked in the FAQ post and didn't see anything about how to do it. If someone knows how please share with me! I'd really appreciate it.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Happy to share my opinion, and I can totally understand where you are coming from and there are certainty types of run which I enjoy more and those which I enjoy less (though I often like to try and find hidden gems in genres I wouldn't regularly follow). The things that actually made me check your run were a combination of its simplicity, the fact it is a hardcore challenge which lately I'm quite interesting in, and the use of original hardware, so you can say your run's uniqueness in the forums was one of its hooks. My own runs are usually also gameplay and challenge centered (sometimes with extra rules, but not always - usually in my blind runs I try and keep it simple), though I also enjoy reading story runs.

I believe you are supposed to notify a Moderator and ask them to move this thread.

Jackdaw991

Kanto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
I come back and find you've finished! WOOOOOO! Well done. I'm proud in a way to have seen this come to it's final conclusion. You've done well.

Nope has become my new fave team member (Sorry Poppy) don't you be dissing my grimey boy :P JK

As Ruby said, a moderator/admin can be messaged or I was told that you could apparently report your thread and tag as completed for them to know quicker.

Again, well done. I cannot wait to see what you do next.

Users who are viewing this thread