• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Johto Teen A Hardcore Nuzlocke of Pokemon Crystal

Extravanganza Accordian Demo

theoblivinator

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Poison
Hello all. My name is Joshua. I used to browse these forums way back in the day (Sometimes you have to do do things the hard way) but lost interest in nuzlockes. The site is updated and I guess I can start fresh. I used to have a few runs on here, some completed, but most of them were never finished. I often got bored and wanted to start a new run which caused me to abandon the run I was playing through. Probably not the best thing to do. Anyways I wanted to get back into sharing nuzlockes on this forum so I have one started and ready to go with you all.

I'm going to do a plain jane hardcore nuzlocke of Pokemon Crystal. Pokemon Crystal is my favorite Pokemon game (Platinum and Heart Gold/Soul Silver are a toss up between 2nd place). I figure playing a game I really enjoy will help with the motivation to complete it. Here is the kicker though; I will be playing through this nuzlocke on original hardware. I have a copy of Pokemon Crystal that I just soldered a new battery into, I have a GBA SP as well as a GB Player for the Nintendo Gamecube. I ALSO have a capture card and the ability to screenshot the game feed as it shows up on my computer. This is how I will be sharing the run with you. I hope you enjoy the little bit of hassle I have to go through to get this up here.

RkIxXeG.jpg

As a side note, I don't like randomizers, I don't like ROM hacks (I outgrew them as I aged), and I don't like excessive rules. I don't care if you like/prefer all that jazz, it's just not for me. Call me a boomer and purist if you want. :-P I'm sticking with one of the classics for now.

Anyways here is my rule set:
1.) I can only catch the 1st Pokemon I encounter on a route.
2.) Nickname your Pokemon
3.) If a Pokemon faints, it can not be used for the rest of the run and will be released.
4.) No items used in battle, with the exception of PokeBalls used to catch Pokemon. Held items are allowed as well.
5.) I will not train any member of my team to higher level than that of the next gym leader's ace Pokemon.

These are all pretty standard and common. Two things to notice though; I don't play with a dupes clause. If I run into five Ratattas in row, I'll show you how a real man wins the run with them. Secondly, I don't use the exception that encounters do not count until you have Pokeballs. For instance in Pokemon Crystal, you will travel through Route 29 and Route 30 in the beginning of the game before you acquire Pokeballs. The first Pokemon encountered on those two routes still count in my books and if I don't have Pokeballs, that sucks and I'll tough it out.

I don't think I have anything else to mention. Feel free to comment, ask any questions, or respond in any way below. Lastly, I hope you enjoy the run! :D

byHsXt2.jpg

Like I said Pokemon Crystal is my favorite Pokemon game. I hope the screenshots look nice enough for here. If there is any way I can improve the quality, let me know and I will try my best.

wvDUB6M.jpg

These are my preferred settings. I'm all ready to go now.

JtnEMkC.jpg
9h0d8D1.jpg

I named my character JHawk, which was a nickname I had growing up. Anyways... Lets do this!

P4nSUp7.jpg

I love this little device. I remember being blow away by the features when I got Pokemon Gold when it came out.

JivDEzD.jpg
FRjzTqV.jpg
LWpMKYg.jpg

0hdIySg.jpg
8vn055E.jpg
szbElxR.jpg

Wrapping up stuff with Elm. I really like all three Johto starters, with Chikorita being my favorite. The sad thing is with me playing a hardcore nuzlocke variant, Chikorita can make a run completely impossible at Falkner if you have terrible catches and bad luck. Cyndaquil is easier, but Totodile is the absolutely (even objectively) the best choice here. Rage will completely destroy anything early game and hopefully I'll have some decent catches to round out the rest of the team. Heres hoping!

gj7LWfe.jpg

Always handy.

0MkRMU1.jpg
2mjSzQU.jpg
69fM1yp.jpg

Whenever we find a berry tree, we have to greet them. When the game says "Hey! It's BERRY!" We all say "HELLO BERRY!" Everyone got that?

QXvcJE4.jpg

So I literally just typed a paragraph in my rules about how my 1st encounter on this route still counts even if I don't have Pokeballs. Then I get the GOD luck and don't get a single encounter. Crazy!

v5xiCd5.jpg

Such a nice man to upgrade our Pokegear for us.

WK8ByDp.jpg
WZAhr5p.jpg
1TBTCiM.jpg

Well there is our Route 30 catch done and over.

R9hNI3N.jpg

HELLO BERRY! See it's not that hard.

9oES6ii.jpg
8quABCT.jpg
U2P6Wer.jpg

So I'm sure many of you folks know about the hidden Potion in front of Mr. Pokemon's house by now right?

3UcU2g5.jpg

HEY PSNCUREBERRY!

mYpcPL9.jpg
4e6qHv4.jpg
PkeTfay.jpg

Amcohbo.jpg
AYQSknL.jpg

Wrapping it up at Mr. Pokemon's house.

pkySwRW.jpg
uGqN5pD.jpg

Time to boot scoot and bogey.

tOpnRXs.jpg
ZBOdYY4.jpg
M95XJf2.jpg

The rival has some of the most riveting dialogue in this game 100%.

v3pvByf.jpg
B2ErzhX.jpg
DBC0Fvx.jpg

I couldn't think of a good rival name so I went with the default option.

X5rObws.jpg

If you talk to Professor Elm from this position, he will fly down underneath the text box when you show him the Pokemon Egg.

L9l6tkV.jpg

Told you so.

o0lJajR.jpg

This guy is very handy. Thanks man.

NJGetcf.jpg

We say good bye to our Mother and tell her to keep her grubbing hands off of our hard earned cash.

uaXOWVd.jpg

This guy gets irritated that we already know how to catch Pokemon. Also shoutouts to year 2000/2001 Gamefreak for making the catching tutorial optional. Anyways time to get our Route 29 catch.

3SzrZIX.jpg
9KAjDGR.jpg
UQjmFn8.jpg

I'm reusing some nicknames from previous nuzlockes. Maybe someone will recognize me. Aerosmack is pretty much a go to nickname for any Pidgey line I catch. Time for the next Route.

Bxy39Rk.jpg

Fingers crossed for a Geodude!

JCBvZlW.jpg
os1EGHD.jpg
HVtVIoQ.jpg

Spearow is okay. Kinda bummed that I got him instead of a Geodude though. It's nickname is a wordplay on "Spear". I'm going to call it here for now. In the next Chapter we will figure out who to train up, AEROSMACK or Javeline as well as continue to Violet City. Hope to see you there.

Last edited:

Jackdaw991

Kanto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
Interesting start. My brain instantly went "Geodude in dark cave" but I'm pretty sure Zubat is most common in there by a landslide. Personally, if you're doing hardcore nuzlocke rules, I'd train up both Aero and Javelin. Yes, you may eventually box one, but for the time being, all team members on deck.

SailorVee

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 31, 2021
Pokémon Type
  1. Cute
Totodile is probably the best starter you could have picked for this challenge. Very solid movepool which can handle most of the Johto gym leaders and does well against the E4 as well. I'm not playing the game as a Nuzlocke, but my Feraligatr swept through most of Lance's team with just Surf and Ice Punch. I only needed my Ampharos for his Gyarados.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
That's a really cool system you have running there! Kudos for making the effort.

Interesting, I personally think Cyndaquil is the better starter (as Water types are so common and easy to get, and you are sure to get a Gyarados if you want which it totally OP) but no doubt Totodile is a very solid pokemon (and far better than poor Chikorita).

Whenever we find a berry tree, we have to greet them. When the game says "Hey! It's BERRY!" We all say "HELLO BERRY!" Everyone got that?
😋

We say good bye to our Mother and tell her to keep her grubbing hands off of our hard earned cash.
Mom can actually get you access to some pretty sweet items, though it can take forever and without emulator shenanigans it could be a pain.

Damn, Geodude would have been great. Well, you still can get one in the Dark Cave.

Are you posting as your are playing btw or this is based on a finished run already? Either way looks like a fun run, best of luck!

OP
theoblivinator

theoblivinator

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Poison
Thank you so much for the comments everyone. :D I'll respond below. I also wanted to add a few things I left out by mistake in my first post that can add a bit of context to my run.

I've completed around three or four regular nuzlockes of Crystal. This is my third attempt at a hardcore nuzlocke of crystal. The 1st wiped to Falkner because I underestimated how much of a handicap the level cap rule puts on yourself. I have not made that mistake since. :P The 2nd I started over because I forgot about the no healing items in battle rule and used a Bitter Berry to heal confusion from Fisher Ralph's Goldeen on the route 32. Since I wasn't very far in I just restarted and decided to share the run on here as well.

Also I'm a pretty slow player. In my opinion one of the best ways to play through GSC is to take your time, do the daily events like harvesting berries, finding the weekday siblings, going through the side areas for items etc... I'm not planning on doing daily updates, but something like every other day or every two days seems manageable for the time being.

Anyways...
Interesting start. My brain instantly went "Geodude in dark cave" but I'm pretty sure Zubat is most common in there by a landslide. Personally, if you're doing hardcore nuzlocke rules, I'd train up both Aero and Javelin. Yes, you may eventually box one, but for the time being, all team members on deck.

This was the reason why I wiped to Falkner in my 1st attempt. I didn't train up enough team members and thought my two Pidgeys with my Chikorita could handle the fight. I was mistaken unfortunately lol.

Totodile is probably the best starter you could have picked for this challenge. Very solid movepool which can handle most of the Johto gym leaders and does well against the E4 as well. I'm not playing the game as a Nuzlocke, but my Feraligatr swept through most of Lance's team with just Surf and Ice Punch. I only needed my Ampharos for his Gyarados.

I'm in the camp that Totodile is hands down 100% the best starter for GSC objectively. I've also done speedruns of Crystal many years ago and the fact that just him and his evolutions can solo the game the fastest of the three was enough to set my mind. Now days speedrunners still start with Totodile for the early game since he is still the best, then they use RNG manipulation to catch Raikou (I believe that is the current strategy, I know folks were running with Entei for awhile too). It is pretty interesting!

That's a really cool system you have running there! Kudos for making the effort.

Interesting, I personally think Cyndaquil is the better starter (as Water types are so common and easy to get, and you are sure to get a Gyarados if you want which it totally OP) but no doubt Totodile is a very solid pokemon (and far better than poor Chikorita).

😋

Mom can actually get you access to some pretty sweet items, though it can take forever and without emulator shenanigans it could be a pain.

Damn, Geodude would have been great. Well, you still can get one in the Dark Cave.

Are you posting as your are playing btw or this is based on a finished run already? Either way looks like a fun run, best of luck!

Cyndaquil is probably better if you hands down want a fire type on your team since your other options are few and far between. There are loads of good water types, this is absolutely true. I just want to give myself the best possible chance in the early game before I get more team options from the later routes.

I do like some of the gifts the mother can buy for you and they can be helpful. Normally though I end up spending a lot of money when I get to Goldenrod on TMs and vitamins for the inevitable Eevee gift so I like to have as much money as possible for that time.

I am posting as I am playing for now, but I do have quite a bit of lead over my posts. Right now I'm heading off to the 2nd gym with my save file, even though I'm posting the 2nd chapter today.

Again thanks for the comments everyone. Now here is Chapter 2, ENJOY! (or don't, I'm not your mother).

So we left off wondering if we would train up AEROSMACK the Pidgey or Javelin the Spearow. I like them both. I think Spearow probably edges out Pidgey early game, but Pidgeot edges out Fearow late game. Both are still great and I can't decide on my own. So lets flip a coin.

Heads = Pidgey
Talis = Javelin

7V72NMw.png

AEROSMACK it is! Welcome to the team. Lets get you caught up in levels a bit.

UseKqLP.jpg

There we go.

rcJIh0f.jpg

In the early game, I skip as many battles as I can until I have my team that I would like to train up for Falkner. That way I don't really waste EXP. So I'll come back for you Joey. Mark my words.

rLMs7Xi.jpg
buajBYl.jpg

Easy peasy.

27w2g0y.jpg

Another skippable trainer.

vkay6W0.jpg

New route, new catch. I'd appreciate a Bellsprout.

jJWUAXo.jpg
3ZiPNSO.jpg
yjnCSq3.jpg

Not too impressed with Caterpie-Butterfree. I will consider it if I really have no better options.

rG7X84y.jpg
EmUiWc5.jpg

Fingers crossed again for Geodude!

N39QyrL.jpg
VVd6Vc9.jpg

Instead we get sexy Vexy. I don't mind Zubat-Crobat, but I already have two flying types (three if you count Butterfree). Crobat is great even though its movepool is pretty garbage in GSC. I will consider you Vexy.

Nvox76M.jpg
VzSDdtY.jpg

HELLO BITTER BERRY! I HOPE YOUR DAY IMPROVES!

qLQBDZY.jpg

Nabbing a free Poke Ball and skipping the trainer as well. On-wards to Violet City!

El9cZC4.jpg
wezt3YL.jpg

Spending just a little cash for some extra Poke Balls.

yVWBcKW.jpg

HELLO PRZCUREBERRY! HAS YOUR MOOD IMPROVED!?

gz8HJBX.jpg

New route, new catch. Grabbing something from the grass here locks you out of SudoWoodo later in the game. You could make an argument for waiting until the opportunity to catch SudoWoodo if you already have good catches, but I'm so flying type heavy I'd like a chance at something else.

X5lc1Wx.jpg
5kcndk6.jpg
vDMxnCm.jpg

Welcome Pudgey the pudgy Pidgey I guess.

tCtZdgX.jpg

Here is my team right now. I want four members to train up and fight Falkner with.

hZoqKGR.jpg

And here is what I went with. Time to go fight the trainers I skipped and start grinding them up.

PnP9jw0.jpg
jKiIaq9.jpg
MiXVxSJ.jpg
hdJP8Yt.jpg
AKmNMi8.jpg
TtPpa9S.jpg

We can't say its a true run of GSC without adding Joey's number. I hope he calls me daily. Love this guy.

SDIOcRX.jpg

So, I want to knock out the two required trainers before Falkner, that way I don't accidentally over-level later. The 1st one with a Spearow is pretty tough though, be careful.

H3Jjqbs.jpg
HT874f6.jpg

Thankfully some held Berries help it out. Still pretty close in the end though.

9oUkWZP.jpg
7s0OL6D.jpg

Another pretty close battle. Thankfully Kappa and co. took them out with no losses. Now to finish training in Sprout Tower.

Eljeqv6.jpg
jLNHnlh.jpg
84mQXZv.jpg

Silly me forgot to walk around here at night and have a chance to snag a Gastly. I am playing on real hardware so I do have access to trade evolutions! Hopefully I'm not kicking myself for missing that opportunity later. Anyways, welcome to the team Joey. You'll replace some of the duplicate flying types I have right now with more dupilcate Normal types.

bPHr28r.jpg
F1GLm4R.jpg

Joey literally must've sensed us catching a Rattata and called us as we walked to the Poke Center to heal.

scfKH0Y.jpg
NNguG3F.jpg

L9mOWqw.jpg
c9HoFzj.jpg

9USjr4E.jpg
gxoFEhF.jpg

xIQOr9S.jpg
JFL1pmX.jpg

nv3n51c.jpg
aQDvWCC.jpg

So all the Sages were battled and defeated with no losses. I actually messed up the timing of nabbing some of the screenshots so they aren't as consistent as some of the other trainers. I apologize and will work harder for those in the future!

v8cc7BG.jpg

More riveting dialogue from our Rival.

C3Ca1oB.jpg

I don't think I could beat Elder Li without accidentally over leveling someone. I will finish off the rest of my grinding against wild Pokemon to bring everyone up to level 9 and come back for the HM later.

KlfyOtB.jpg

Also I will not be using this. Saving it for the Ruins of Alph.

bUksZ85.jpg
ta6QGty.jpg
503OgVZ.jpg
bnA02a9.jpg

J6qMQJa.jpg
qGGdks9.jpg

Joey wants more blood on his hands.

NPcnBGl.jpg

Too bad he called when I literally got Javelin to level 9. Joey, you will have to wait for now. And with that, I'm going to end Chapter 2. Next time we will battle Falkner, and head out of Violet City. I hope you join me for the next Chapter and feel free to leave any comments below. Thanks all for reading! :)

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
I see you want to defeat Falkner at his own game with all these flying pokemon :). Too bad about Geodude, still Crobat is a very solid pokemon.

Jackdaw991

Kanto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
I feel like I jinxed it a little :P

I'm curious now about Electric types, since I'm fairly certain Mareep line isn't in the Crystal games? Not that it's important now, but later on.

All of the birds, what are you team sky? I'm not a cop, you can tell me :P

My thinking is: Cyndaquil and Totodile are both equal footing in a regular nuzlocke, but I may be leaning to Totodile for hardcore, just cause it's access to ice punch by Goldenrod is more useful than anything Cyndaquil can give, which gives a lot more edge near the E4. I love Chikorita, but it's much more support than anything else and that may not cut it in Hardcore especially with flying then bug.

OP
theoblivinator

theoblivinator

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Poison
I see you want to defeat Falkner at his own game with all these flying pokemon :). Too bad about Geodude, still Crobat is a very solid pokemon.

Haha it looks that way. I once did a flying monotype challenge run of Soul Silver. I ended up using Pidgeot, Scyther, Gyarados, Murkrow, Xatu, and Crobat! That was a fun run albeit kinda easy since there are many many good flying types in Johto.

I feel like I jinxed it a little :P

I'm curious now about Electric types, since I'm fairly certain Mareep line isn't in the Crystal games? Not that it's important now, but later on.

All of the birds, what are you team sky? I'm not a cop, you can tell me :P

My thinking is: Cyndaquil and Totodile are both equal footing in a regular nuzlocke, but I may be leaning to Totodile for hardcore, just cause it's access to ice punch by Goldenrod is more useful than anything Cyndaquil can give, which gives a lot more edge near the E4. I love Chikorita, but it's much more support than anything else and that may not cut it in Hardcore especially with flying then bug.

Chikorita's line is my absolute favorite and it is a same that it gets stomped with using hardcore nuzlocke rules. Without the hardcore part, you can still use it and just over-level.

Good electric types are also pretty un-common and you'll mostly have to rely on the Thunder TM from Goldenrod for any electric attacks since most don't really learn Thunderbolt. You can get Chinchou/Lanturn, Jolteon, Magemite/Magneton, and Voltorb/Electrode (Electrode is guaranteed in the Rocket Base) or you might hatch an Elekid or Pichu from the Odd egg. If there was a Thunderbolt TM or these Pokemon had better learn sets it would be so much better. Honestly, you can still get electric type coverage with the Thunderpunch TM from Goldenrod, some Pokemon surprisingly learn it like Nidoking and Hypno.

Anyways, lets keep the daily updates going for now while I have the motivation and a stockpile or screenshots shall we?!

Rs0VNaw.jpg
ZpQSQpI.jpg

Our training is finished and it is time to fight Falkner!

YrgRuTB.jpg

Joey should be able to handle the Pidgey unless it uses Mud-Slap a bunch and reduces Joey's accuracy.

nBFKDoN.jpg

But things go well.

btoDMIq.jpg

The next plan is to have Joey get some damage off on Pidgeotto until I have to switch him out.

8tcxXLY.jpg

Big plays here, I think we can survive one more attack and get just a bit more damage off. But it is risky.

iQ58OaT.jpg

Good job Joey! Now lets get you swapped otherwise it's RIP.

DZML8FR.jpg

Same strategy. Do some damage until you have to be swapped out.

4ldet24.jpg

Oh dear. That sucks. So Pidgeotto did some damage, not enough to trigger Javelin's berry, so I figure he could take a hit, heal with the berry, take one more hit, then get swapped.

BUT NO, lets just CRITICAL HIT and completely bypass the held berry.

Again that sucks, but critical hits are apart of the game and honestly it is on me for not playing around them.

Is9gkIv.jpg
Q8oOM6I.jpg
oShlYdX.jpg

AEROSMACK does it on his own though, didn't even need to bring in Kappa. Nicely done AEROSMACK.

0TJMxvx.jpg
atMZNe7.jpg
RCl6Ysr.jpg

Well, one of eight Johto badges down, and one death as well. We can pray and hope that it is the only death in this run, but I get the feeling it wont be. Moving on.

kDB0IWJ.jpg
OFaHoWb.jpg
QzJ50EA.jpg
82iJYEE.jpg

pS2U91r.jpg
rFD2KLQ.jpg

Eventually this will hatch into a Togepi which will promptly be boxed lol.

LI77Wy8.jpg
mVqNGsM.jpg

F's in the comments folks. Good bye Javelin, didn't really know you that long so I wasn't attached yet, but you had potential. Thank you for your service.

qIl8voA.jpg
n8ipPRc.jpg

We can sell off X-Items for extra cash since they are against the rules.

p9omAd9.jpg

Time for some free items. Also I could catch an Unknown if I wanted, but I don't really want to.

cUIt3Fy.jpg
3htBQNC.jpg
b0v5e8f.jpg

That Escape Rope from Sprout Tower coming in clutch here.

n1IKIjQ.jpg
FyqueAE.jpg
1xnFMeT.jpg
dkfsDey.jpg

Some free berries and some free healing items I can use outside of battle if needed. Worth it for one escape rope.

Vma1da9.jpg
MrE4IOj.jpg

New route, new catch.

5jwRBTc.jpg
Jv9s8im.jpg
knG0mTi.jpg

Unoriginal nick-name is unoriginal. I'm not too fond of Ekans. But I've never used one before, and it can get some okay moves. I'll take the type diversity over anything. Welcome to the team for now, but don't be surprised if you are boxed at some point.

y1Jn2ns.jpg
WOylIpO.jpg

Now it is time for the rematch of the century!

swhoZm1.jpg

His team hasn't changed yet. I think the rematch teams change based off of the amount of badges you have. So later his Rattata will get stronger and eventually he will have a Raticate.

7mv3lPh.jpg
Yvn8UbH.jpg

Well that settles that.

Anyways that is it for this update. A little shorter but still progress none the less. Next time we will fight Elder Li and move on towards Union Cave. Thanks for reading and have a great day everyone! :D

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
I guess the best bird won, a painful price to pay but bottom line - you made it!

Ekans is not that bad in future generations with Intimidate. In gen 2 though... at least it has Glare which is pretty solid, and Poison is a pretty good defensive type.

Jackdaw991

Kanto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
Shame about Javelin. I've only ever used Ekans in Pokemon FR and he was useful there. Not sure about it in Gen 2, but Ruby said it best I suppose. Glare can be a useful asset.

OP
theoblivinator

theoblivinator

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Poison
I guess the best bird won, a painful price to pay but bottom line - you made it!

Ekans is not that bad in future generations with Intimidate. In gen 2 though... at least it has Glare which is pretty solid, and Poison is a pretty good defensive type.

Shame about Javelin. I've only ever used Ekans in Pokemon FR and he was useful there. Not sure about it in Gen 2, but Ruby said it best I suppose. Glare can be a useful asset.

Ekans can learn some decent moves in GSC but really the only good one by level-up is Glare. Everything else will come from TMs and such (Headbutt, Return, Dig, Earthquake, Sludge Bomb are a few). I don't mind trying something new and Poison is my favorite type so I'm a bit partial to them. I will give her a shot and see if it works. If she is dragging the team down and I have something better to replace her with, I doubt I will hesitate to do so. It is too bad I don't have the Intimidate ability though for sure, that would definitely increase her usefulness.

ZMz1wZt.jpg

So we left off finishing up battling some trainers we skipped do to the level cap rule. Lets battle Li and acquire the Flash HM!

tyTrLdg.jpg
AKnunqV.jpg
kb0peT6.jpg

And he went down pretty easily. I just used some switching to make sure Medusa gained a bit of EXP from the battle.

hQ20z8c.jpg

So we continue down Route 32 for trainer battles and items to collect. Do you ever wonder what these trainers are staring at all the time. Some don't rotate and I don't suspect the view for this fella is too interesting. Maybe I'm wrong.

MMNNCVz.jpg
cLUfrf7.jpg

Well the 1st trainer is finished and....

fCd5rTd.jpg
0fDm8m8.jpg
hE2qdu0.jpg

I love Joey.

rAQGbN8.jpg

I'll bet 10 Poke Balls that Joey called her right after me.

c5PnF9V.jpg
ZLuc5uZ.jpg

That's what you get for talking to my best friend behind my back.

UOSCBRk.jpg
LPU3rI6.jpg

So did anyone know about the hidden Super Potion by the water on this route? Anyways, TRAINER MONTAGE!

BQ6LdWP.jpg
yetfdX2.jpg
mBp0wjZ.jpg
HpJczsQ.jpg

EiNUWFm.jpg

None of them put up much of a fight. Fisher Henry's Poliwags with Hypnosis were a bit annoying since I can't use Awakenings in battle to remove Sleep, but oh well.

XaXGcf9.jpg
S8byOHZ.jpg

Two free Great Balls. The second one is hidden on the same tile that Frieda of Friday will stand on to give you a Poison Barb. Did anyone know that?

GTyTWCB.jpg
E2FMcg2.jpg

I love how this dude is selling the SlowPoke Tails at a higher price than you can actually acquire in the game.

k0x0RuY.jpg

Some folks forget that in GSC you don't have infinite bag space yet. You have more than you did in RBY, but you still have to manage your inventory space. Make use of that PC item box.

n3eSfR9.jpg
9VGCOpJ.jpg

Nothing really worthwhile to fish up yet unfortunately.

KXWtdL8.jpg
DLQlbze.jpg

And that wraps up Route 32. Everyone battled and all items collected. Maybe now we can move on...

ioPXJyM.jpg
KXLznEm.jpg

Well I guess I can head back and spank you once more before we go through Union Cave. Once we get through there it'll be harder to get back over to this area of Johto until we clear up Sudowoodo on Route 36.

l2WiwSq.jpg

Lets make this quick shall we?

47TsYyq.jpg
9ABy2NP.jpg
0ZCqDc0.jpg
yrchCGY.jpg

Good good. Now on-wards to Union Cave!

fU5BNxc.jpg
MSVv39z.jpg

pSRjbEI.jpg

Well all those extra steps hatched the egg earlier than I expected. *SIGH* You know what that means....

oRb8Rlu.jpg
FndYxG5.jpg
Pza9PxE.jpg
KfXzSs6.jpg

I.

GUESS.

x23zrVm.jpg
QKNbxPJ.jpg

The trip wasn't a complete waste of time thanks to this. I'm sure Joey will appreciate it the most for now.

bRv7su4.jpg
mENMesu.jpg
8A5PP3C.jpg

He didn't run down under the text box again. Too bad.

wHmZYFS.jpg

Yep.

nFNaDoQ.jpg

CAN WE FINALLY MOVE ON NOW?!

That's all for chapter four. Thanks for reading everyone and I hope you have a tasty lunch and/or dinner! :D

Last edited:
OP
theoblivinator

theoblivinator

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Poison
I didn't even remember there was an item called Pink Bow.

You and me both? I assume it boosts....normal moves? I'd say fairy if in Gen 6+

The Pink Bow as far as I know is a Generation 2 exclusive item. It does boost the power of normal type attack by 10%. In later generations it was replaced by the Silk Scarf. And even more obscure bit of knowledge, there is a related item that is also exclusive to Generation 2 called the PolkaDot Bow which has to same effect. It can only be obtained by trading Jigglypuffs from RBY using the time capsule. The more you know!

u8wMmfA.jpg

So may I please get a Geodude in here? I also wouldn't mind Sandshrew.

zUgAdmU.jpg
BjsHb4i.jpg
wZ0SDy9.jpg

I'm really scraping the barrel with some of these nick names.

4cqHuBc.jpg

More items to sell at the mart.

MPx0li2.jpg
D2E3rtL.jpg

Thankfully Kappa was able to win just using a powered up Rage attack against three Geodudes. At level 13 he learned Water Gun which will make the other Rock types a breeze.

4wPEH58.jpg
JWDXVDy.jpg

c7oVeiG.jpg

That makes three free Great Balls!

vAejANb.jpg
EXti2CD.jpg

These two trainers did not pose much of a threat either.

7Q6myke.jpg

This is Swift, and underrated TM in GSC. It is the 1st 60 base power attack that you can get at this point in the game without grinding something to a stupid high level. It never misses and many Pokemon can learn it. Don't sleep on it, give it to something that might be lacking a strong attack.

8INAsQi.jpg
b42x0kk.jpg

Some more free items.

J3CL9Fp.jpg

He also didn't pose much of a threat.

lGAzb78.jpg

ALRIGHT. THIS IS PRETTY MUCH THE LAST CHANCE FOR A GEODUDE UNTIL MUCH LATER IN THE GAME. BLESSRNG IN THE CHAT BOIS.

clOPhli.jpg
QjsCthB.jpg

96thxub.jpg

YES! YES! YES! EASY MODE ACTIVATE FOR THE NEXT HALF OF THE GAME!

VWi0MKz.jpg

Hello PSNCUREBERRY! How are you today?

HrMbtXt.jpg
P8qNqrn.jpg
Dtnem4t.jpg

On my way to grab Wilma from the PC Joey calls again.

nU2M5cG.jpg

Time to shine here!

3FNLoRW.jpg
2UGp4Z1.jpg

Don't forget to manage your inventory. Something I will always preach about.

lhTdiON.jpg
Q3Baygy.jpg

I skipped this guy on Route 33 and came back for him. He is pretty tough, be cautious fighting him.

U38WxmB.jpg

You're not Berry.....

LvhrH0e.jpg
mP3DEYI.jpg
zgg2bUU.jpg

Adios you crazy old fart.

BS7hCq8.jpg

I wouldn't mind catching a Slowpoke here, they are excellent in Crystal nuzlockes. If I was playing with dupes clause it would be mine but I don't roll that way. The hard thing is that Slowpoke Well has a very low encounter rate compared to other caves so I'd be running around for ages trying to find one.

J0TPoxL.jpg
XKGKRKE.jpg
mgGScI9.jpg

And once again I'm eating my own words because it only took two steps for me to encounter a Zubat. The irony.

5rckVRp.jpg
ek4rViw.jpg
K5kx60v.jpg

Kurt forever bound to a wheelchair from now on. That's too bad. But they do make some sick wheelchairs now days.

1JFN4QR.jpg
xjc7lJj.jpg
IimXsKQ.jpg

I love the Rocket dialogue in here.

iEKtINJ.jpg

Neato cheeto.

YO0qlPh.jpg
Jcg0t7V.jpg
5QqcR4j.jpg

I forgot to nab a screenshot where the letter says "Love DAD". In the words of Chuggaaconroy: "THE SLOWPOKE IS YOUR FATHER!"

xJBTHW2.jpg
zTPFpCT.jpg

And that wraps up the Rockets for now.

tATPdom.jpg
moFkfhx.jpg
H7WGDcf.jpg
TwtYEs9.jpg
HcSuv4k.jpg

Did you ever notice that when you teleport with Kurt back to his well it heals your entire party? Again I forgot to grab a screenshot of it, but check it out next time it happens to you.

This seems like a good place to end the chapter so thanks for reading. And I hope you sleep well next time!

Jackdaw991

Kanto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
Chuggaconroy mentions AND you get a Geodude? That's certainly a good update.

OOOOH BUGSY! SOMEONE GOING TO BE SMASHED!

OP
theoblivinator

theoblivinator

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Poison
Chuggaconroy mentions AND you get a Geodude? That's certainly a good update.

OOOOH BUGSY! SOMEONE GOING TO BE SMASHED!

Chuggaa's Crystal Let's Play is probably my favorite of his. I really enjoyed his Emerald one as well.

Damn right :), do keep her safe though and you're pretty much gold up to Morty if luck doesn't betray you.

Another great thing is that my Geodude is female, so even Whitney's Miltank won't be able to use Attract on it, assuming I get to that point.

Av5NIrt.jpg

Today I bring you the first screenshot of this run where I played at night! We need to finish battling trainers in the gym then see how much more we need to grind after that.

V9M2S3G.jpg
4sAQQiQ.jpg
GSgglV1.jpg
ogBu53f.jpg
4S5HYjy.jpg
3Myr9NP.jpg

Alright all done. Again I messed up some of the timings on the screenshots. You'd think by now I'd have a hang of it.

ttjENTX.jpg
nKo8Hlw.jpg

Well I am grinding, so any Pokemon I battle along the way to and from Joey is still technically EXP put to a good use.

THIbcTp.jpg
L29DGxl.jpg
8fsirj9.jpg

Take a hint buddy. And that was all the grinding for that night. The next day I continued to grind on Route 32 since it had slightly better EXP yields. But....

4y6OkpU.jpg
DBh3mQr.jpg

This chapter is quickly becoming how many times can I rematch Joey.

jvvbCgP.jpg
q61dAIL.jpg

We're just beating a dead horse at this point. Anyways.....

41krwgV.jpg

There we go. All done.

YcxnBqe.jpg
DAhNjSn.jpg

I'm not worried in the slightest for this battle.

2zZwozR.jpg
SdnfqhD.jpg

Not even one HP of damage done to AEROSMACK.

7V2LlG5.jpg

And Scyther did 3 HP of damage to Wilma on her switch in. Piece of cake.

sidJrvk.jpg
2CY2HuL.jpg
Z0hLvRE.jpg
EpGWj5o.jpg

Like the TM for Swift, don't sleep on TM49 for Fury Cutter. It is essentially a Bug-type Rage that you don't need to take damage to power up. Very good against your Rival's Bayleef if you need something in a pinch to help out against it. Also we are back to playing at night again!

WdJsyd9.jpg
7zj40ZS.jpg

I'm not worried about this fella either.

HhmreT7.jpg
yAVcYpo.jpg

HA! One critical hit Bite was enough for that Gastly.

X1MUKyE.jpg

Zubat had nothing either. So I am a little concerned about the Bayleef. Razor Leaf has a high critical hit chance which could be problematic if not accounted for.

qAbzHff.jpg

See what I mean?

75l1e2s.jpg

But Medusa managed to Poison the Bayleef in return.

8IqSjir.jpg

That's the last of the Berries I collected.

LW9XZSP.jpg

HNNNNGGG. That's another critical hit right in a row.

WVkMIKw.jpg
d0JUbOo.jpg

But in the end. Medusa is victorious. Good job!

lqooVoV.jpg
bCzxIjH.jpg

0WZGslM.jpg

qMlgYAQ.jpg

Alright, there is a reason why I waited to play at night here. Oddish would be a good addition to my team and there is a 50% chance to encounter one at night. Fingers crossed.

cIxiFao.jpg

HEYO

wHS6cHQ.jpg

This is probably Just Stop's only contribution to the run (unless my party gets rocked by something and I need to bring him out of the box). He did some damage to the Oddish to make it easier to catch.

E1AuzF4.jpg
1YBcUqB.jpg

I like the name Cosmo for a male Oddish. Hopefully he make's it to Vileplume. I'm considering replacing Medusa with him, but that will depend on what else I catch in the future routes.

FaNFaN9.jpg
MsG7DZj.jpg

So long sucker. Welcome to the team Cosmo. This is a good spot to stop for now. Next time we'll make it to Goldenrod, assess our team, and probably start grinding again for Whiteney. I'm not sure if I'll be able to continue daily updates now that I'm getting to the point where grinding will take much longer than it did in the beginning of the game, but we'll see what I can pull off. Thanks for reading and I hope you don't get into a car accident today!

Jackdaw991

Kanto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
I would say poor Just Stop but I don't think Crobat has a great movepool in Gen 2. Oddish can be a solid grass type, very decent type, despite being common in Gen 1. I know why I wouldn't go Bellossom, but why not for your opinion?

Welcome to how many Joey calls will we get this run?

I think Bugsy could have had Scyther and Heracross and been fine...Maybe...

OP
theoblivinator

theoblivinator

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Poison
I would say poor Just Stop but I don't think Crobat has a great movepool in Gen 2. Oddish can be a solid grass type, very decent type, despite being common in Gen 1. I know why I wouldn't go Bellossom, but why not for your opinion?

Welcome to how many Joey calls will we get this run?

I think Bugsy could have had Scyther and Heracross and been fine...Maybe...

Crobat is great utility Pokemon in GSC. You can have it be your Flyer, and it will probably be the fastest Pokemon in a battle, so can use it for status moves like Confuse Ray and Toxic. If you want it to deal good damage, it is better in the later generations for that.

I don't want to use Bellossom because it is EXTREMELY unlikely I'll get a Sun Stone. You can only get it by getting 1st place in the Bug Catching Contest, which is unlikely to happen with the nuzlocke rules.

Bugsy with a lower leveled Heracross would probably be fine, I agree. He could probably even get away with having a Butterfree or Beedrill to be completely honest. I think him having a Pineco would be cool too.

Vileplume is a great pokemon but getting a Leaf Stone in this game is a pain.

Thankfully, you have the chance to even get a Leaf Stone in Crystal. In Gold/Silver the evolution stone are locked to the post game and you might not even have caught the right Pokemon to show them to Bill's father to get them in the first place. There is a trick though to help with the process in Crystal. If you talk to your mother and toggle Daylight's Savings Time on and off, it changes the clock an hour which is useful for triggering phone calls. Some might find it kinda cheesy though.

ALSO QUICK EDIT: I ADDED A TABLE OF CONTENTS TO THE FIRST POST TO HELP ORGANIZE THE THREAD! THAT'S ALL!

qDLsQUV.jpg
v0w4TTB.jpg
hbLYWi2.jpg
oLA3H0c.jpg

Time to move forward and help this poor lad out.

EJx8ju5.jpg

This little puzzle kinda stumped me when I was a little kid, not going to lie.

YaT04Ta.jpg

I screwed up the screenshot here lol. But it was a free Revive which in Nuzlockes is just free money.

vDmqKyn.jpg
mjqoFAC.jpg

To me, "Kwaa" sounds more like something a Spearow would say.

Xaq5467.jpg
wJFUYn7.jpg
FXMaEMv.jpg
hsy11kX.jpg

Nice! Now we can move forward. But first we need to wrap up a few things in Azalea before heading out.

nggL0ef.jpg
DNUFDsX.jpg
rJ5LV3f.jpg

One Fast Ball, and two more next time we are in town.

ZjPFDgf.jpg
JeB5Yem.jpg

And a Charcoal to store in the PC until we maybe get a fire-type.

X5F0Jr0.jpg

MANAGE YOUR INVENTORY!

W9FLVnw.jpg
VcmBqg3.jpg

Another reason for bringing Cosmo to the team. He'll be my Cut Slave.

9RSV9nn.jpg

FINALLY.

YEv1l92.jpg

Who knew about the hidden Full Heal here? Also I forgot to screenshot it but there is a hidden Full Heal back by the entrance to Slowpoke Well.

py66uG9.jpg
heoJTas.jpg
Uk7ilHD.jpg

Some more free items. The Super Potion is a hidden item.

1Uibk6I.jpg
Uf7cUjB.jpg
xFW0eci.jpg
LpCylV9.jpg

AWESOME! Headbutt is amazing in GSC for this point in the game. 70 base power and a chance to flinch the opponent! I'll take like six of these please.

26ZryKU.jpg
yGoEXuM.jpg

I can already feel the improvement. Also I know we said we were done in Azalea but there is one more thing we can do now.

nDUUegG.jpg
lVPLL2Q.jpg
1mJBbJf.jpg
pFgJsjL.jpg

Which is not being called by Joey.

Wb84fHB.jpg
ZYglp5w.jpg

Hm. That's odd.

dVVWSQN.jpg
4ZR6nKt.jpg

For real?!

o2HyzQC.jpg
9PFHj58.jpg
HeTI95y.jpg
94AXyXM.jpg

I couldn't think of a better nick name. I don't really feel like swapping this fella for AEROSMACK, since AEROSMACK is close to evolving at this point.

2Hl5wk6.jpg

Right on.

pLBpTta.jpg
cgEDy2O.jpg

Easy peasy.

ZP8PN9T.jpg

This is the last hidden item in the forest.

XDvxgfp.jpg

Sell this TM for cash imo.

GuyO0hz.jpg

Alright, again I'm playing at night to maximize my chance at catching a Drowzee.

NmofTGV.jpg
a0768GX.jpg
0gDl3Ff.jpg

Instead I get the rare 5% encounter Jigglypuff, which I'm not a fan of.

ONhJLXw.jpg
G1BhIX3.jpg
glv6h2l.jpg
6W0Cd4c.jpg
isO6Ias.jpg
jiq873c.jpg

t4aX14o.jpg
QV4UTyR.jpg

Nothing to challenging here.

pEpml3p.jpg
1k4b8LN.jpg

Call me maybe?

Pbl5iiQ.jpg
kDkj4Lz.jpg

Pit stop at the day care to deposit Joey so I can walk the Odd Egg.

yZiIAqq.jpg

And nab this hidden Super Potion.

8et6GL8.jpg
3AEvxLi.jpg

Another perk of doing this route at night. One more trainer battle for EXP and cash.

eDWoLDv.jpg
SKKyoEM.jpg

If you want, you can register Camper Todd's number and he will call you when the Goldenrod City Dept. Store is having a sale. If you are into that sort of thing. The prices aren't that much cheaper, but it is a sale none the less.

FeIR4X4.jpg

We made it!

Time to call it for now. Next time we'll cruise around Goldenrod and try and get everything done that it has to offer. Thanks for reading and I hope your skin doesn't fall off today!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread