• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Comic Kanto Teen Mon A Fateful Nuzlocke Challenge - LeafGreen edition

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
A little bird weaves the threads of Fate. on indefinite hiatus

ponibutts

nerd
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 6, 2021
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
So after having vague ideas for a story based on the GBC games swimming in my head for over a decade, I finally decided to just say screw it, I'm gonna try. I'm really bad at finishing art projects I start, but these ideas have stuck with me for so long I gotta bring it to life.
Initially, this was gonna be a Yellow locke, but FRLG added to the story and I wanted to take advantage of that. Not to mention the gameplay changes that happened after Yellow. There will be some small references to Yellow, however.
Also! Content warning: there will be swearing, minor blood, and some spoilery stuff.
Homophobia and abuse of people and pokemon

So yeah. Here's A Fateful Nuzlocke Challenge based on Leaf Green!

Rules:
  • Catch only first encounter in each area.
    • Dupes clause is active.
    • Shiny clause is active.
  • If it faints, it's dead. Put it in the dead box.
  • Nickname everyone something alcohol related. (I always go with a name theme in my runs 😛)
  • A team wipe means game over, even if I have pokemon in the box.
The Run:
hWRcQja.png

Read updates on CF!

49329a1642910565b80361f1523311630.png

mxezwqT.png
Wiu5nqZ.png

KjipUqD.png
(I'm not posting the image updates in this post anymore, I'm gonna link to the post that has it instead)
EXTRA 1
PAGE 5
PAGE 6
PAGE 7
PAGE 8
PAGE 9
PAGE 10
PAGE 11
PAGE 12

PAGE 13
PAGE 14
PAGE 15
PAGE 16
PAGE 17
PAGE 18

bytB2DP.png

SP9vqFH.png

cEnW7ly.png
08XPuSi.png

ZYxl9cL.png
SPOILER_lily.png

otbEd33.png

:leechseed:

Last edited:

Garnet

Onion Boy
🌱Featurer
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
Based purely on that first impression, Ollie's father definitely doesn't seem like an easy guy to get along with. Hey, at least the guy has an excuse to get away from him for a while now! Going off chasing after their Pikachu... could be he ends up having to track Stormy all across Kanto, who knows? ;p

Waweezer

Johto League Champion
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 22, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon is known to make weird comics at random, no one really knows why.
I'm not good at writing why I really like something so I'll reply with this, coolio

Yuna

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
I absolutely adore the art style of this comic!

Also any run where the player picks Bulbasaur is a good run in my book. What's there not to love about the adorable little frog-dinosaur?

OP
ponibutts

ponibutts

nerd
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 6, 2021
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
Based purely on that first impression, Ollie's father definitely doesn't seem like an easy guy to get along with. Hey, at least the guy has an excuse to get away from him for a while now! Going off chasing after their Pikachu... could be he ends up having to track Stormy all across Kanto, who knows? ;p
while i was making that panel i was showing screenshots to friends and asking "does he look like a bastard" because that is exactly the kind of impression i wanted him to have, in his one singular panel he's in so far lmao

I absolutely adore the art style of this comic!

Also any run where the player picks Bulbasaur is a good run in my book. What's there not to love about the adorable little frog-dinosaur?
thank you! ;w;
honestly i love all of kanto's starters and i picked bulbasaur 100% in reference to pokespe. that way my comic's version of red has a bulbasaur, and green has a charmander.
...briefly considered editing my starter into pikachu for the sake of it feeling like an updated yellow run, though :p

OP
ponibutts

ponibutts

nerd
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 6, 2021
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
Yes hello I am here with another page.
Wiu5nqZ.png

KjipUqD.png
I almost ended this one with a cliffhanger. Almost. :)
I split pages up to make it easier to make them. It keeps the filesize smaller and is just in general easier to handle. I think for the rest of the pages I'll update once I finish each section rather than when I finish all of it.

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I wonder what ominous foreshadowing "Don't let him back until she can" is. I wonder if Oak is telling Gary to distract Ollie with a journey until something happens. I wonder why Ollie's dad forbids him from having pokemon. The dad seems to be mean and constantly be in conflict with Stormy and Ollie(unless the dad's just a jerk. I feel like he has a bad history with Ollie). I wonder if there's something in the pokemon talking gene that makes things more dangerous to the pokemon he's training. Still Amaretto is so cute and cheerful! I wonder if Sidecar and Brandy will leave once Ollie offers to release them once he finds Stormy. Amaretto clearly will keep following Ollie, but the others look like they want out of there.

Kadew

🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
If you encounter a wild Kadew, best practice is to gently bully her into remembering that she loves to draw. She forgets, sometimes.
Oh my goodness what a precious bean of a bulbasaur! I love her! Little flower is such a cute nickname. And Gary's secret name all scribbled out, best I can make out is Gardenia? Everybody gets a plant name! I'm curious to meet this Lily mentioned in those character profiles, I do love me some good sibling relations, I hope she shows up soon.

OP
ponibutts

ponibutts

nerd
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 6, 2021
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
I wonder what ominous foreshadowing "Don't let him back until she can" is. I wonder if Oak is telling Gary to distract Ollie with a journey until something happens. I wonder why Ollie's dad forbids him from having pokemon. The dad seems to be mean and constantly be in conflict with Stormy and Ollie(unless the dad's just a jerk. I feel like he has a bad history with Ollie). I wonder if there's something in the pokemon talking gene that makes things more dangerous to the pokemon he's training. Still Amaretto is so cute and cheerful! I wonder if Sidecar and Brandy will leave once Ollie offers to release them once he finds Stormy. Amaretto clearly will keep following Ollie, but the others look like they want out of there.
Would you want to stay with someone who openly admits he doesn't want you? Amaretto's just too pure tho. I love her.
Oh my goodness what a precious bean of a bulbasaur! I love her! Little flower is such a cute nickname. And Gary's secret name all scribbled out, best I can make out is Gardenia? Everybody gets a plant name! I'm curious to meet this Lily mentioned in those character profiles, I do love me some good sibling relations, I hope she shows up soon.
Right? I'm having so much fun with my starter being a naive girl! Also, yes, his name is Gardenia! Hoping I can find somewhere to fit in why he started going by Gary. It's a fun little flashback for everyone involved (: Also since you mentioned the sister...

Got an extra for u guys until I get the next part done! The extras will probably all look like this one. I finished it in a single day (:
Let me know if my chicken scratch is illegible, I can fix it.
WoIZY2G.png

Like I said in the first post, this was originally gonna be a comic based on my most recent Yellow run. In that run, I remembered the optional battle. And kicked Gary's ass, obviously. In LG I forgot about it. I caught something and then left for the forest.
And that flashback panel? It was drawn as a separate thing at first and then I decided to use it in this extra. Left to right, it's Stormy, Oleander, Lily, GardeniaGary, and Vee. Stormy is the Rana family pet, Vee is the Oak family's! She's definitely a nod to the rival having Eevee in Yellow.

OP
ponibutts

ponibutts

nerd
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 6, 2021
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
First part of update 3 is done, it's forest time 👀
rVVE4qC.png
when i caught that weedle outside of the forest, the first thing i did after healing was get it to evolve. with weedle and kakuna both duped out, i proceeded into the forest and... found nothing but kakuna and weedle. like, a lot of them. my whole team except kakuna were double digit levels before i ran into something that wasn't a dupe.
as for the comic? we got our first cameo! a good buddy of mine, phali, who was very excited to be an antagonist.

Last edited:

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I wonder why Ollie doesn't want his pokemon to see him get changed? I wonder if his father made him ashamed of the tattoos on his arms. Oh no, this guy looks like pretty bad news. The situation is pretty tense, but it looks like a set up for Stormy to make a dramatic appearance. While I can understand Ollie only keeping out Amaretto due to her poison typing keeping her safe from poison, Ollie would have probably been safer from the ambusher if all three of his pokemon could fight him at once instead of leaving it up to only Amaretto to rush in and get the Weedle away from Ollie in time. I wonder how many antidotes Ollie has, as I imagine he would be a bit more nervous about poison after Brandy and Sidecar got seriously ill from it.

crashcrashcrash

More like trashtrashtrash, amiright
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 11, 2021
Nature
Brave
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Flying
Oh man this artstyle is already so strong! The little details like the Poké ball mark on Ollie’s jacket and the way all the mon hang off their trainers in the cover... Ugh I love it. Also Amaretto might be the cutest Bulba I’ve ever seen even since since page 1, what a good girl ^^

Very intrigued by the decision to skip the Gary battles! The “reluctant trainer” protag is pretty common in nuzlockes but Ollie straight-up saying No to multiple battles is an absolute power move and sets him apart in that subcategory. Plus it lets the comic transition smoothly from the tutorial section of the game without bogging it down with a tackle-fest, so we can get to the action quicker - and it’ll matter that much more when Ollie eventually starts battling!

...Which he might have to do pretty soon uh oh. Fingers crossed for a Pika ex machina asap!

OP
ponibutts

ponibutts

nerd
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 6, 2021
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
I wonder why Ollie doesn't want his pokemon to see him get changed? I wonder if his father made him ashamed of the tattoos on his arms. Oh no, this guy looks like pretty bad news. The situation is pretty tense, but it looks like a set up for Stormy to make a dramatic appearance. While I can understand Ollie only keeping out Amaretto due to her poison typing keeping her safe from poison, Ollie would have probably been safer from the ambusher if all three of his pokemon could fight him at once instead of leaving it up to only Amaretto to rush in and get the Weedle away from Ollie in time. I wonder how many antidotes Ollie has, as I imagine he would be a bit more nervous about poison after Brandy and Sidecar got seriously ill from it.
I was gonna make a short little comic showing a good reason Ollie won't change in front of pokemon but I am struggling to upload just this update haha. :( but basically Stormy is the Pikachu version of cats and dogs that just... sit there and watch you changing. or pooping. or showering. except Ollie can talk with his weird pet and that doesn't make it better.
maybe I'll draw this later anyway I love the idea.
Oh man this artstyle is already so strong! The little details like the Poké ball mark on Ollie’s jacket and the way all the mon hang off their trainers in the cover... Ugh I love it. Also Amaretto might be the cutest Bulba I’ve ever seen even since since page 1, what a good girl ^^

Very intrigued by the decision to skip the Gary battles! The “reluctant trainer” protag is pretty common in nuzlockes but Ollie straight-up saying No to multiple battles is an absolute power move and sets him apart in that subcategory. Plus it lets the comic transition smoothly from the tutorial section of the game without bogging it down with a tackle-fest, so we can get to the action quicker - and it’ll matter that much more when Ollie eventually starts battling!

...Which he might have to do pretty soon uh oh. Fingers crossed for a Pika ex machina asap!
I like adding little details, like Ollie's bruised sternum from Sidecar tackling him.
Ollie doesn't wanna battle he just wants to go home and punch trees

I used up all my wifi data in 2 days on accident so this update brought to you via 128 Kbps suffering and my phone.
also I'm sorry to anyone with external plumbing for that one panel. you'll know the one. (its my favorite)

nuzlocke_p3-2.png

up next will be the final part of this page vs bug catcher!

Last edited:

Garnet

Onion Boy
🌱Featurer
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
Stormy's smug little face when he says "Guess I don't have time to help!" I love this lad so much already, god.

crashcrashcrash

More like trashtrashtrash, amiright
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 11, 2021
Nature
Brave
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Flying
Aww man Stormy's already got such great expressions! The little electricity marks and the way his eyes turn blue make him look so cooool~ And then to turn around and have him be a smug lil bugger first chance he gets is great.

He's so beat up though, I wonder how often he gets out like this. We know it's not the first time but it's probably not the second either... Either way, ack scary Beedrill! Not for much longer though I bet, when a lava cookie's on the line

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
Just how Stormy just shrugs off the guy trying to kill Ollie so casually. Stormy is not moving until he gets his way. He makes such a smug face about not getting a battle song as Ollie is sitting literal inches away from getting poison through his heart. I like the face Stormy makes when Ollie mentions a lava cookie. Food is a pretty surefire way to motivate animals. Things look pretty serious now, so I wonder if Stormy feels like everything will be fine and has a lower sense of danger than the average person, or if he cares that little. It's probably the former. I wonder if Ollie's dad did something to chase Stormy away again, or if Stormy just likes adventuring outside.

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
We've had Stormy for 2 seconds and I already love him so much. The expressions, the scrapes and scars, the attitude- I adore everything about this pikachu! (I also really love that his tail is more like a Raichu tail) I also cannot wait to see what this song is all about 👀

OP
ponibutts

ponibutts

nerd
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 6, 2021
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
Stormy's smug little face when he says "Guess I don't have time to help!" I love this lad so much already, god.
image0.png

Aww man Stormy's already got such great expressions! The little electricity marks and the way his eyes turn blue make him look so cooool~ And then to turn around and have him be a smug lil bugger first chance he gets is great.

He's so beat up though, I wonder how often he gets out like this. We know it's not the first time but it's probably not the second either... Either way, ack scary Beedrill! Not for much longer though I bet, when a lava cookie's on the line
stormy is an escape artiste
Just how Stormy just shrugs off the guy trying to kill Ollie so casually. Stormy is not moving until he gets his way. He makes such a smug face about not getting a battle song as Ollie is sitting literal inches away from getting poison through his heart. I like the face Stormy makes when Ollie mentions a lava cookie. Food is a pretty surefire way to motivate animals. Things look pretty serious now, so I wonder if Stormy feels like everything will be fine and has a lower sense of danger than the average person, or if he cares that little. It's probably the former. I wonder if Ollie's dad did something to chase Stormy away again, or if Stormy just likes adventuring outside.
bug catcher doesn't want to kill Ollie, he just wants to knock him tf out and steal his valuables. if Ollie doesn't regain consciousness that's not the bug catcher's problem (:
We've had Stormy for 2 seconds and I already love him so much. The expressions, the scrapes and scars, the attitude- I adore everything about this pikachu! (I also really love that his tail is more like a Raichu tail) I also cannot wait to see what this song is all about 👀
I really liked how pikachu tails looked in the rgb sprites

the last two updates have had minor art improvements, I'll update those posts when I get a chance

nuzlocke_p3-3.png

Last edited:

Nessi

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 5, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
The way stormy just clings to him is sooo cute X3

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
Using sand attack as a smoke bomb is a pretty cool use of that move.

Users who are viewing this thread