• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Feature team invited you to check out the Hidden Gem Showcase! Give a little love to your favorite runs you think more people should know about!
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Thread Description
Dee takes their factorylocke ruleset through an inaugural run in Unova!

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
Hello everyone! This is going to be a very informal written log of me taking my new ruleset, the factorylocke (read up more about it here!) through Pokemon Black 2. The factorylocke is a custom ruleset that incentivizes the capture and use of atypical, "unnatural" pokemon like Vanillite or Castform. Why Black 2? Well, a few reasons... first is that I really like Unova, and I think Black 2 has an interesting selection of pokemon to choose from under the ruleset. The second reason is that B2W2 are some of the only main series games I haven't yet 'locked in some form!

This will be a casual, informal run through the region, with heavy focus on how my ruleset operates. I've never played a game with it before! Please check up on the factorylocke ruleset linked above, and if it pleases your fancy, maybe take it for a spin yourself!

1) With the exception of the foreman and assembly workers (see rule 2), only unnatural pokemon can be used. (Note: a list of unnatural pokemon can be read below this ruleset.)

2) Every pokemon will have a rigidly defined role:
  • The Foreman – The starter. The foreman must not ever leave the team for any reason. The foreman has no item restrictions. Should the foreman die, a new foreman must immediately be promoted from the ranks of the assembly workers.
  • Assembly Workers – Cannot be unnatural pokemon or legendaries. Up to three times per run, I can use a voucher in a given area to choose to hire an assembly worker instead of an unnatural pokemon. I start with one voucher, gain a second upon clearing the fourth gym, and a third upon the freezing of Opelucid City. Assembly workers cannot hold items or have items used on them in battle, but for every worker on the team, one item can be used in-battle on unnatural pokemon and one unnatural pokemon can hold a held item. Promoted assembly workers become the foreman and have the rules of that role apply. If the foreman dies and there are no assembly workers, one must be hired and promoted immediately, with the next voucher forfeited.
  • Unnatural Pokemon – The factory’s rank-and-file. On their own they cannot hold items or have items used on them in battle, but their production value increases with the help of assembly workers (see above).

3) Only the first unnatural pokemon encountered in any route can be caught, unless an assembly worker voucher has been redeemed (see rule 2.)

4) Dupe Clause: Dupes (defined as pokemon belonging to the same evolutionary family as a living pokemon I have caught) do not count as a first encounter.

5) Gift Clause: Gift pokemon are freebies and do not count towards an area's "first encounter" rule.

6) Token Clause: In an area where there are no viable catches, I receive a token to be redeemed for a second catch at a later time.

7) Any pokemon that faints is fired from the factory and must leave the team to be released/permaboxed.

8) All pokemon on the active team must be within 5 levels of each other. HM slaves are exempt from this rule.

9) Pinwheel Clause: The following areas are split into two areas for a "first encounter":

• Virbank Complex (outside and inside)
  • Reversal Mountain (outside and inside)
  • Giant Chasm (cave and forest)
  • Victory Road (outside and inside)

Below is a list of unnatural pokemon allowed by the factorylocke. This is not an exhaustive list--pokemon unavailable for capture in the main game of Black 2 have been excised!

Mineral Pokemon

Onix family

Sudowoodo family

Nosepass family

Roggenrola family

Ferroseed family

Slimes, Ooze, and Gases

Grimer family

Koffing family

Ditto

Living Constructs

Magnemite family

Baltoy family

Beldum family

Bronzor family

Darumaka family

Sigilyph

Klink family

Golett family

Animate Objects

Shuppet family

Trubbish family

Spirits and Specters

Drifloon family

Yamask and Cofagrigus

Litwick family

Lab-born Creatures

Castform

Extraterrestrials and Extradimensional Creatures

Clefairy family

Staryu family

Lunatone and Solrock

Elgyem family

Food

Vanillite family

Let's start off! This run is just a simple ruleset test, no character notes or ongoing story here. In Aspertia City, I select a Tepig as my starter/foreman. He's male and Bashful; I name him Cinder. Why Tepig? Well, mostly because I've never used one in a nuzlocke before and I think it'll be fun! ^^

Spr_5b2_498.png

Aspertia actually does have pokemon to be caught... none of which are viable under my ruleset, so that's +1 token for me! (Total tokens: 1). After a capture tutorial, we enter Route 19! I started with a voucher, but only Patrat and Purrloin are available for now... let's hold off on spending it. Instead, I'll take another token! (Total tokens: 2). I actually struggle a bit to do meaningful damage with Cinder early on because Ember relies on his weaker attacking stat... I'm sure I can make it work, though!

Moving on past Floccesy Town to Route 20; Sudowoodo can be found swarming here later, so no token for me! I'll come back later. North to Floccesy Ranch and instead of taking a token, I think I'll cash in my voucher and try for an assembly worker! Psyduck or Riolu would be kinda fun, but I'd be willing to swing just about anything... even the Azurill that the game sends my way!

Spr_5b_298.png

She's baby ;;w;;

Her name is Seafoam, and she has a Rash nature and Thick Fat as her ability! I'll admit, I was a bit miffed at getting a baby pokemon for my voucher, especially since I can't get any unnatural pokemon until before the second badge... but she grows on me as I slowly train her up! Having her know Charm is surprisingly useful, though I've got to be careful, especially since due to assembly worker rules, she can't hold an item or have one used on her in-battle...

Oh yes, I almost forgot! Hugh (whom I've named Chaz in this run) has fallen before me in all battles. Though later encounters might not be so easy...

Anyway, I return to the Aspertia Gym, testing out my strategy. Leading with Seafoam to nerf them with Charm before swapping to Cinder is pretty effective! After beating Cheren's two trainers, I return to the ranch to train up Seafoam to lv. 12 and Cinder to lv. 13. I try not to overlevel if I can help it, so matching Cheren's ace seems like a good strat!

The fight is actually pretty simple. I just do the same strategy as I did on the lesser trainers. Since Work Up only raises attack by one and Charm decreases it by two, poor Cheren is in a losing race. Cinder makes pretty short work of both Patrat and Lillipup once they've had their offense nerfed! The Basic Badge is mine!

That's it for my first entry. I'll probably do a badge an entry, and then have a couple of entries for the finale. See you all soon(ish) and wish me luck in experimenting on my new ruleset!

Last edited:

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Nice start! Ah getting the Thick Fat Azumarill is always a bit disappointing. Can't wait to see what the first thing to come out of your factory!

Reactions: Dee

RisingMew

Currently yelling about Sw/Sh
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
A calm and nocturnal creature with a fondness for reading.
Ooh, how neat! B2W2 seem like great games for this ruleset, and I can't wait to see how it goes once you start uncovering some true factory 'mon :0 There's a surprising amount of variety available to you, plus you're already starting to rack up tokens!

Seafoam is indeed baby, though it's a bit sad you missed out on Huge Power for her ;o; Still, you don't really get any other water coverage from true factory 'mon so she's definitely a boon either way!

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Woohoo, another run with a cool new ruleset! :) I like the way you're structuring this, short and sweet but a great intro to how the gameplay of this ruleset is going to work.

• Love

HardcoreNuzlockes

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 27, 2021
Very interesting set of rules!

Too bad about the Thick Fat Azurill but hopefully having a Water type early on will be useful either way.

Good luck with your challenge and I'm looking forward to part 2!

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks to everyone for the positive reaction to this run so far! I'm very pleased you all are coming along for the ride. Perhaps you might try a factorylocke of yourselves one day! :)

Nice start! Ah getting the Thick Fat Azumarill is always a bit disappointing. Can't wait to see what the first thing to come out of your factory!

Tell me about it, haha... xD I mean, I'm sure I can make it work! In one Notepad Run of Black, I had a Modest, Inner Focus Sawk that turned out to be my MVP against Ghetsis (at the cost of the poor lad's life, though ;0; )

Ooh, how neat! B2W2 seem like great games for this ruleset, and I can't wait to see how it goes once you start uncovering some true factory 'mon :0 There's a surprising amount of variety available to you, plus you're already starting to rack up tokens!

Seafoam is indeed baby, though it's a bit sad you missed out on Huge Power for her ;o; Still, you don't really get any other water coverage from true factory 'mon so she's definitely a boon either way!

Thank you! I'm excited to locke b2w2, they're the big blind spot in my experience! And yes, poor Seafoam go the inferior ability... still, her Water-type will come in handy!

Woohoo, another run with a cool new ruleset! :) I like the way you're structuring this, short and sweet but a great intro to how the gameplay of this ruleset is going to work.

Thanks! I'm excited to take my run for a test-drive

Very interesting set of rules!

Too bad about the Thick Fat Azurill but hopefully having a Water type early on will be useful either way.

Good luck with your challenge and I'm looking forward to part 2!

Thank you! I've been developing this for a while, and I still love Seafoam even if she got the lesser ability </3

Let's just jump right into things, shall we? I move on out from Aspertia with my shiny new Gym Badge and Cheren and Bianca have a little reunion. Seafoam is still a baby little Azurill, so I've got her out front to switch train her. Thankfully, now that I have access to Audino, leveling shouldn't be the chore it was before.

Further down Route 20, though, I run into one of the scariest moments in any nuzlocke I've done yet. I almost wipe... because of a Dunsparce. I lead with Seafoam and swap to Cinder, and on the swap, Dunsparse uses Rollout! Just the first hit takes Cinder to under half health D:

I swap back to Seafoam in a panic, and the second hit Rollout takes her to 1/3rd of her health. At this point I assume I'm a goner, but I decide to try for it anyway. The Rollout attack misses (thank heavens!) and Seafoam uses Charm successfully. I swap back to Cinder and Dunsparse misses again. After that I'm able to narrowly win a damage race thanks to its neutered attack stat. I somehow survived the fight with no deaths, but if Rollout hadn't missed, I very well could have wiped...

Scary ;-;

Anyway, in Virbank City, I pick up a token (Total tokens: 3). Heading south, I can finally pick up my first unnatural mons! Due to Pinwheel Clause, the Virbank Complex counts as two separate areas. In the outer complex, I catch:

Spr_5b_081.png

I name him (yes I know that Magnemite are genderless but he feels like a he to me idk) Polarity! Sadly, he has Magnet Pull as his ability... and an Adamant nature. Barring IVs, that's possibly the worst conceivable Magnemite ;w;

Still, I'm sure Polarity will serve me well as my first-ever unnatural pokemon for the run!

Inside the complex, we get our second unnatural mon:

Spr_5b_109.png

His name is Aerogen! He's Quirky and naturally has Levitate as his ability. I'm pretty satisfied with the lot of them!

Anyway, I train up the gang to about lv. 18 on the Audino in the complex, and Cinder evolves!

Spr_5b2_499.png

With our foreman now a pugnacious Pignite, its time to fight Roxie! The battle is actually super easy... Polarity just spams Sonicboom on Koffing, which cannot effectively do anything, and Cinder two-shots Whirlipede with Flame Charge, with it only landing a weak Venoshock in retaliation. And that... is our second badge!

We somehow made it through the slaughter of a Dunsparce of all things, and have our first two proper unnatural pokemon. I'm excited to continue the run! Stay tuned ^^

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Dunsparce are actually pretty solid pokemon early on (I recently used one to easily cruise through Viola's gym using Rollout), and an unlucky Rollout can easily wipe a team so good thing luck was on your side this time. Though it seems to have abandoned you when it comes to nature and abilities :).

Thematically a Magnemite and a Koffing fit the factory vibe quite well! With a party of 4 your team is finally starting to take shape.

• Haha

RisingMew

Currently yelling about Sw/Sh
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
A calm and nocturnal creature with a fondness for reading.
yIKES Rollout could have been devastating there! Thank goodness (and RNG) for those misses!

Adamant Magnemite is an unfortunate blow, which is made worse by the fact that you missed out on Sturdy as well ;o; It seems like this is the 'locke for unfortunate abilities--these underused 'mon aren't doing a lot to make you warm up to them at the moment! Still, you've got some solid type coverage on the team now, and it's no surprise that Roxie didn't pose too much of a threat! Can't wait to see what happens next time :D

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Dunsparce are actually pretty solid pokemon early on (I recently used one to easily cruise through Viola's gym using Rollout), and an unlucky Rollout can easily wipe a team so good thing luck was on your side this time. Though it seems to have abandoned you when it comes to nature and abilities :).

Thematically a Magnemite and a Koffing fit the factory vibe quite well! With a party of 4 your team is finally starting to take shape.

I'll definitely have to rethink my opinion of the Dunsparce line! I most certainly wasn't giving them their proper due. And I had to laugh at your observation--luck certainly does seem to have abandoned me when it comes to natures and abilities! xD

yIKES Rollout could have been devastating there! Thank goodness (and RNG) for those misses!

Adamant Magnemite is an unfortunate blow, which is made worse by the fact that you missed out on Sturdy as well ;o; It seems like this is the 'locke for unfortunate abilities--these underused 'mon aren't doing a lot to make you warm up to them at the moment! Still, you've got some solid type coverage on the team now, and it's no surprise that Roxie didn't pose too much of a threat! Can't wait to see what happens next time :D

Yep, it was honestly just pure luck that saved me from a wipe... and yes, poor Polarity is really the shining anti-example of his species, sadly. I hope to redeem him!

Welcome back! After earning the Toxic Badge from Roxie, there are some wacky misadventures involving Pokestar Studios, Team Plasma, and old Qwilfish-head himself, but we finally make our way to Castelia City! When I'm there, I explore every building I can (it takes quite a while!) to snag as many items and EXP points as possible. And while I'm doing that... a certain someone finally comes into her own!

Spr_5b_183.png

Seafoam has finally evolved! Good for her!

Anyway, I finally make for Burgh's Gym, but he's not there. Iris and Chaz collectively shanghai me down to visit the sewers. While down there, I manage to capture a new teammate despite Chaz's best attempts to kill it while we're engaging in double battles...

Spr_5b_088.png

Meet Jam the Grimer! She's Lax-natured and has Stench as her ability. Anyway, Chaz and I engage in battle with Team Plasma, and as we do so, another exciting event happens:

Spr_5b_184.png

sniffs... they grow up so fast! 🥺

Anyway, we could head back to take on Burgh--but the Relic passage is to the north, and beckons us with some new catches! First on the list is this little buddy:

Spr_5b_524.png

Her name is Quartz, and she's Quirky! And after I-shit-you-not nearly a full hour of encounter farming, I also encounter...

Spr_5b_095.png

Crag! He's... Timid, and has Rock Head as his ability. Boy oh boy... these nature/ability combos, huh! 😅 Anyway, I spend a token getting Crag, but then I proceed to explore the rest of the sewers, including the secret passage to Liberty Garden to get a token, so that's neither a net gain nor a net loss. (Tokens: 3) I also pick up the Leftovers while I'm at it! Sadly, I do have some bad news... while I was looking for Crag, I encountered a Woobat. I foolishly kept Aerogen the Koffing out front, thinking I could run away or at least take a hit if I couldn't. Running away failed... and Heart Stamp crit.

Rip, Aerogen :'(

With that all done, it's time to face Burgh! His gym is no problem, and neither is the man himself--his Swadloon can't effectively damage Polarity and eats Sonicbooms, his Dwebble loses to Seafoam, and Leavanny gets one-shot by Cinder. And that is that! Next time, we'll head north. See you all then!

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Welp, it's been way longer than I intended since a last update... still, I've got some progress to report!

After my last adventure against Burgh, I decided to add a certain someone to my team! Some grinding and a trade later...

Spr_5b_525.png

Spr_5b_526.png

...and our little lassie Quartz has become a Gigalith!

Moving forward, I head north. Route 4 gives me...

Spr_5b_554.png

Jojo the Darumaka! She's Quiet and has Hustle as her ability. I already have a physical Fire-type in Cinder, so she's staying boxed, but it'll be nice to have someone in the wings! And she's not the only pokemon Route 4 has to offer.

Spr_5b_568.png

Spending a token nabs me Freshen the Trubbish! Lax natured with Sticky Hold. She's no Aerogen... into the box she goes. I could go straight to Nimbasa, but instead, I decide to take a detour. The Desert Resort awaits!

The resort is actually pretty scary--between the trainers and the wilds, I have more than a few close calls! Still, I'm able to snag another new pokemon, this one a teammate proper!

Spr_5b_561.png

Vestige the Sigilyph is Relaxed and has Magic Guard as his ability. He joins the team! And a quick jaunt to the Relic Castle surrenders one last catch:

Spr_5b_562.png

Griever the Yamask! Besides having the Mummy ability, he's also... Adamant. These natures, I tell ya. He gets boxed, but that still leaves me with a team of Pignite, Azumarill, Magnemite, Gigalith, and Sigilyph. Not bad!

I do a lot of battling and grinding in Nimbasa City, and snag two tokens, one from Lostlorn Forest and one from Route 16. With the one I spent catching Freshen, that's a net gain of one. (Tokens: 4). After I head to the roller coaster zone and the Gym, I face down Elesa! Quartz takes down Emolga and Zebstrika handily enough, though I blow through my allotted healing items doing so. Her Flaaffy is actually the real troublemaker, constantly hitting hard and threatening to KO Cinder! I somehow pull through to KO, but it was a close fight.

And that's this leg of the journey! Thanks for riding along :]

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Not very much to talk about this time around! After beating Elesa, I head out west, collecting a token from Route 5 along the way (Tokens: 5). After having an encounter with Charles, in which I narrowly scrape through, it's time to cross the Driftveil Drawbridge (Tokens: 6). The wings here will help get my pokemon's base stats up!

In Driftveil, there's lots to do, including checking out a move tutor and grabbing tons of items--but if you'll recall, I just got a voucher from beating Elesa, and I'm going to cash it in!

Spr_5b_570.png

Zorua is our new teammate! He's got a Hasty nature (his name and nature are fixed.) So let's train him up, shall we?

Spr_5b2_571.png

I won't mind telling you that even with Zorua's built-in experience boost, training that little guy was quite the pain!

Anyway, it's time to fight Clay. After taking on his Gym Trainers, it's time for the big man himself! His Krokorok leads things off, but quickly falls to Seafoam's Water-type moves! Excadrill comes out next and here's where things get nasty... it lands not one, but TWO crits in a row (Metal Claw and then Slash, if you were wondering). That's enough to bring down my poor little Azumarill u_u

It also leaves me in quite a pickle... Zoroark is physically frail and can't even damage it neutrally, and both Cinders and Quartz are week. I end up having to rely on Vestige to do the job; even though he can't damage Excadrill neutrally either, he knows Reflect! With Reflect up and a very lucky confusion status from Psybeam, I manage to KO Excadrill, though I have to spend my 1 allowed healing item on Vestige and he still ends up in the low yellow. Finally, I switch to Zoroark for Sandslash and knock it out with a well-placed Snarl.

So, Quake Badge obtained... but at a tremendous cost. RIP, Seafoam :(

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
Neat idea! Nuzlockes are good for incentivizing the use of Pokémon you might not use otherwise, so it's cool to see a new ruleset that takes that concept even farther. I do want to ask, though: how long ago did you play this and how thorough are your notes? It might be more helpful to see this ruleset in action if there were more details—for instance, how did you "narrowly scrape through" against Charles? Was it just a tough battle in general, or did a limitation imposed by your ruleset play a part?

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
@QuietGuardian Thanks! I'm a few badges ahead currently. My notes are... basically non-existent; I did this coming off of my chesslocke, which was extremely well-documented with several thousand words per chapter (and multiple chapters per badge) which left me with some severe burnout, which is why this one is so lackadaisical in response--something I realize now may have hurt my intention to document how a new ruleset functions. In regards to Charles, I don't remember the specifics, but I believe that the main source of difficulty was a combination of him being rough in general alongside the item restrictions, which have consistently proven to be the run's primary source of difficulty.

After beating Clay, it's time for shenanigans at the PWT. The fixed levels of my opponents lead to a thorough lack of challenge, and the Plasma gauntlet afterwards does little more. Once that's all done with, Cheren invites me onto Route 6. Here, I catch a Castform (she's got a Bold nature and is named Equinox).

Spr_5b_351.png

Afterwards, Cheren gives me the Surf TM, which puts me in a pickle--with the death of Seafoam, I don't have any viable Surfers, and won't for quite some time! I decide to catch a Ducklett exclusively for use as an HM slave. After doing the rounds and picking up stuff like the Energy Ball TM in Aspertia and some other goodies in the Sewers, I avoid progressing to visit Mistralton Cave. Aron isn't actually allowed under my ruleset and I already have a Boldore (well, Gigalith) so that's +1 token for me!

Onto Chargestone Cave itself. Now, I could evolve Polarity here, but I won't. With Eviolite, Magneton has superior speed and defenses than Magnezone with only a small hit to HP and Sp. Atk. I think it's worth it! Plus, if I change my mind, I can always come back later. I do pick up some new pokemon, however--a Nosepass named Compass (female, Quirky, Magnet Pull), a Klink named Tin (Mild, Plus as its ability), and a Ferroseed named Gyro (Sassy, Iron Barbs, male).

Spr_5b_299.png

Spr_5b_599.png

Spr_5b_597.png

None of the adversaries in the cave really put up that much of a fight, but I do manage to get Cinders to level up!

Spr_5b2_500.png

Look at dis beefy boy!

Also, while I don't intend to add her to my party, I let Compass gain a level and evolve because why not?

Spr_5b_476.png

While I could elect to take on Skyla immediately, there's more teammates to be gotten! Outside of Mistralton, I zoom my way to the Celestial Tower, picking up a token along the way. (While there, I attempt to make use of Gyro--but he's just not effective enough, so I end up boxing him. Ah, well.) In the Tower, I spend a token alongside my permitted catch to pick up some new teamates!

Spr_5b_607.png

Spr_5b_605.png

Meet Wisp and Roswell! Wisp is male, has Flame Body, and is Modest--if anything ever happens to Cinder, I know who to call! Roswell is also male, is Careful, and has the Synchronize ability. I end up putting Roswell on my team in place of Vestige--I've used Sigilyph plenty of times, but never really had a chance to use the Elgyem line! I think that it should be fun to try it out. After some p a i n f u l training (seriously, the fact that Audino can know Attract, and be holding berries, and have a move that puts you to sleep is just so mean!) Roswell evolves!

Spr_5b_606.png

So now it's time to face Skyla. Although some of her Gym Trainers give me trouble (especially that Sigilyph one!) Skyla herself is a joke. Zoroark for Swoobat, Polarity for Swanna and Skarmory, bada-bing, bada-boom. Done.)

And that's it for this update! See you next time.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Man I can't believe you lost both Aerogen and Seafoam, some of your earliest team members, rest in peace.

Wait so who are your current team? Zorua, Roswell, Cinder, Quartz, Compass and Polarity?

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Here's something I'll bet you didn't know: Munna/Musharna are actually inanimate object Pokemon themselves, being based off of traditional Japanese incense burners called koro. (Yes, it's kind of late to tell you now, but it completely slipped my mind up until now. I think it's really cool.)

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
New Dee run! 👀

And of Black 2! A fine choice. B2W2 are my favorite Pokemon games, and I've 'locked them, what, 3 times now?

Tepig is great! And Emboar kind of looks like a foreman.
pokemon-emboar-with-rocks.jpg

I love the Azumarill line in all its forms—yes, including with Thick Fat. I love seeing Charm be spotlighted! Charm on my Granbull saved me from wiping to the League in my Sun wonderlocke.
dclb6tt-d8792c24-381c-42ff-90ea-31656968bac2.png

Take orders from her or else.

If you're not convinced of the Azumarill line's strength, check out this video:
Further down Route 20, though, I run into one of the scariest moments in any nuzlocke I've done yet. I almost wipe... because of a Dunsparce. I lead with Seafoam and swap to Cinder, and on the swap, Dunsparse uses Rollout! Just the first hit takes Cinder to under half health D:
Early-game Rollout is devastating. *stares at Lass Janice's Defense Curl + Rollout Marill on ORAS' Route 116* I'm glad you were able to avoid catastrophe!

I name him (yes I know that Magnemite are genderless but he feels like a he to me idk) Polarity! Sadly, he has Magnet Pull as his ability... and an Adamant nature. Barring IVs, that's possibly the worst conceivable Magnemite ;w;
I know I made a big deal about liking Thick Fat Azumarill, but I cry at the loss of gen 5+ Sturdy. 😭 Any Magnemite, though, makes Roxie a free win.

At least Levitate didn't let you down. 😤
Oh my gosh, I love Jam as a name for a Grimer. 🥺
pokemon_anime_grimer.jpg

He's here! Much to Chaz's chagrin. >_>

while I was looking for Crag, I encountered a Woobat. I foolishly kept Aerogen the Koffing out front, thinking I could run away or at least take a hit if I couldn't. Running away failed... and Heart Stamp crit.

Rip, Aerogen :'(
5d9a82eb77fd_Confetti%20Cannon%20Koffing.png

Float on up to the vacation in the sky, sweet prince.
I'm so glad you can access Gigalith! Such an underrated Pokemon. 😤

And the desert has given you so many encounters at once! Hooray!
Ooh, an interesting choice to cash in for voucher on Zorua. I was kind of hoping you'd use it on the Serene Grace Deerling at the Seasonal Research Institute to complete a fire-water-grass core.

Excadrill comes out next and here's where things get nasty... it lands not one, but TWO crits in a row (Metal Claw and then Slash, if you were wondering). That's enough to bring down my poor little Azumarill u_u
fe6.gif

Clay is NOT a good capitalist (if there is such a thing).
I'm glad to see Eviolite being used on a main team member—I often see it used on Boldore. :P

I love the Elgyem line! Too bad little Roswell had to go through such painful training. :c

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Man I can't believe you lost both Aerogen and Seafoam, some of your earliest team members, rest in peace.

Wait so who are your current team? Zorua, Roswell, Cinder, Quartz, Compass and Polarity?

My current team is Cinder the Emboar, Polarity the Magneton, Quartz the Gigalith, Zoroark, and Roswell the Beeheeyem! I mostly just threw Compass in there to get her evolved.

Here's something I'll bet you didn't know: Munna/Musharna are actually inanimate object Pokemon themselves, being based off of traditional Japanese incense burners called koro. (Yes, it's kind of late to tell you now, but it completely slipped my mind up until now. I think it's really cool.)

You'd win that bet! I thought they were like Drowzee and based off of dream-eating tapirs because of the nose. I might have to add them as viable, or at least asterisk them... thanks for the heads-up!

New Dee run! 👀

And of Black 2! A fine choice. B2W2 are my favorite Pokemon games, and I've 'locked them, what, 3 times now?

Tepig is great! And Emboar kind of looks like a foreman.
pokemon-emboar-with-rocks.jpg

I love the Azumarill line in all its forms—yes, including with Thick Fat. I love seeing Charm be spotlighted! Charm on my Granbull saved me from wiping to the League in my Sun wonderlocke.
dclb6tt-d8792c24-381c-42ff-90ea-31656968bac2.png

Take orders from her or else.

If you're not convinced of the Azumarill line's strength, check out this video:
Early-game Rollout is devastating. *stares at Lass Janice's Defense Curl + Rollout Marill on ORAS' Route 116* I'm glad you were able to avoid catastrophe!

I know I made a big deal about liking Thick Fat Azumarill, but I cry at the loss of gen 5+ Sturdy. 😭 Any Magnemite, though, makes Roxie a free win.

At least Levitate didn't let you down. 😤
Oh my gosh, I love Jam as a name for a Grimer. 🥺
pokemon_anime_grimer.jpg

He's here! Much to Chaz's chagrin. >_>

5d9a82eb77fd_Confetti%20Cannon%20Koffing.png

Float on up to the vacation in the sky, sweet prince.
I'm so glad you can access Gigalith! Such an underrated Pokemon. 😤

And the desert has given you so many encounters at once! Hooray!
Ooh, an interesting choice to cash in for voucher on Zorua. I was kind of hoping you'd use it on the Serene Grace Deerling at the Seasonal Research Institute to complete a fire-water-grass core.

fe6.gif

Clay is NOT a good capitalist (if there is such a thing).
I'm glad to see Eviolite being used on a main team member—I often see it used on Boldore. :P

I love the Elgyem line! Too bad little Roswell had to go through such painful training. :c

I love your reactions! Very fun as always hehe

I admit, I didn't even consider the Serene Grace Deerling... perhaps I should have given it a second chance!

Welcome back! Last time I caught a cornucopia of pokemon and trounced Skyla. This time, she takes me in a ride across Unova to touch down in Lentimas town. There's a Move Tutor here with Dark Pulse, which Zoroark could really use--too bad I don't have the shards! What I do have, though, is a new pokemon to catch in outer Reversal Mountain--Drifblim! The first one is killed by a crit from Polarity, so I cash in a token to try again. This time I get a Drifblim. She's Impish and has Aftermath as her ability; I'll call her Strata.

Spr_5b_426.png

Speaking of ghosts, the Shadow Ball TM outside the Strange House is very appreciated on Roswell's moveset--and so is this little trickster I catch in the house itself!

Spr_5b_354.png

I call him Vodoun. He's Lonely and has Insomnia as his ability.

Inside Reversal Mountain, I team up with Bianca. No new families here, so a token replenishes the one we spent on Strata. Sadly, however, disaster strikes... I end up in a double battle against a pair of Ace Trainers. Although one of them has a Vibrava, I foolishly keep in Quartz so that she lay the pain on the other's Drifblim... and the dragon's Earth Power crits.

Fare the well, Quartz... 😢

(And yes, for those keeping track, all three of my deaths so far have been to crits. Oy vey...)

Anyway, I add Compass to the team since I'm desperate need of a Rock-type. I've never used the Nosepass line before and Compass's deceptively tricky moveset and fantastic defenses sell me well! She'll do fine.

After exploring the mountain with Bianca, I plaster myself with repels and run into dust clouds until I get enough blue shards to teach Zoroark Dark Pulse. This will probably be his STAB move of choice for the rest of the run! In Undella town, I absolutely humiliate Chaz; Compass wipes out his Unfezant, Polarity takes on Samurott, and then Cinder wipes out Simisage.

That's not all, though--I surf up a new teammate!

Spr_5b_120.png

Say hello to Stargazer! She has a -sp. atk nature (Impish to be precise) and Illuminate, which makes her terrible at her job despite her evolution's potential. Into the box she goes. A quick journey south surrenders a token and some trainers to fight before running into a dead end. This run won't cover postgame, so see you... never.

Up north in Route 13, I cash in the token I just received and also use my normal route's catch to snag these two:

Spr_5b_337.png

Spr_5b_338.png

Each is named after a thematically-important deity: Lunatone is Selene, while Solrock is Amun-Ra. Both have Levitate, of course; Selene is Impish, while Amun-Ra is Relaxed.

Traversing Route 13 takes me to Lacunosa Town, where a couble battle against Zinzolin awaits! Cinder crushes Cryogonal with a Heat Crash, but the grunt's Golbat actually does about 2/3rds of his health with Acrobatics, so I swap out to Compass. The Probopass and Chaz's Samurott get things done in a splash. (geddit?~)

Route 12 has very little to offer except a token, same for the Village Bridge (though I like playing a town-wide game of Where's Waldo with the band to spice up the soundtrack.) Route 11 again offers a token, and then I come to Opelucid City!

Iris bullies me into visiting Route 9 first, and she succeeds. Another token route, which takes my total tokens to a whopping 10! I should be sitting pretty the rest of the game. Returning to Opelucid, it's gym time!

The gym trainers give me no trouble, though the defense-focused veteran seriously wastes my time spamming Protect with uncanny accuracy. At the top of the dueling dragon statues is Drayden himself.

I lead off with Cinder against Drayden's Druddigon. Will-o-Wisp immediately neutralizes it, to the point that between some misses, Drayden wasting turns healing, and Cinder's Leftovers, I'm merely single digits away from having max HP. I luck out insane well against Flygon and manage to 2HKO it with Zoroark's Dark Pulse, the attack making it flinch on its lone turn. Then comes Haxorus.

I decide for a repeat performance from Cinder, but Will-o-Wisp's accuracy decides to act up. It misses 3 times in a row before hitting, and the whole time Haxorus uses Dragon Dance. I immediately pivot to Polarity, who resists all its moves, and pray.

...perhaps I needn't have. I don't know if the AI glitched out or what, but Drayden never once launched an attack against me. Haxorus only used Dragon Dance, over and over again, while burn damage and Flash Cannon whittled it down. By the time it had +6 attack and speed, and I'm sure that launching even a single attack would have probably KO'd some of my pokemon... I'm increasingly glad it didn't do so.

And that's that! Hope you all enjoyed reading, so next time we'll move into the endgame--or near enough, anyway.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I thought they were like Drowzee and based off of dream-eating tapirs because of the nose.
They're a cross between the two, as evidenced by Drowzee's Sun Pokedex entry stating that it's possibly related to Munna/Musharna. But the incense burners are why Musharna has mist coming out of its head.

Here's a word of advice: never, ever, EVER let Vodoun hit himself in his confusion. The Shuppet line has strong physical attack, but horrendous physical defense. Don't ask me how I know this.

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
This is a funky wee ruleset, it's cool to see how it's playing out! I decided to check this run out to give me a break from the emotional wringer of TDWC but now I'm particularly sad about Seafoam and Quartz, how dare

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Ooh, this stretch gives us a lot of ghost types! Fun!

Inside Reversal Mountain, I team up with Bianca. No new families here, so a token replenishes the one we spent on Strata. Sadly, however, disaster strikes... I end up in a double battle against a pair of Ace Trainers. Although one of them has a Vibrava, I foolishly keep in Quartz so that she lay the pain on the other's Drifblim... and the dragon's Earth Power crits.

Fare the well, Quartz... 😢
Quartz as a ghost is not fun, though! 😭 I remember that battle from my own White 2 nuzlocke....
06ef79b3ee0be9f0e243c462356bdd53--funniest-gifs-funniest-animals.jpg

Stargazer @ you:
NK9YZPirSmbkv6GPu_fbsid4YNranfxM1oskT33PSF8.jpg

I'm so happy to see both Solrock and Lunatone getting a spotlight! They're rarely available in the same game.

I don't know if the AI glitched out or what, but Drayden never once launched an attack against me.
Drayden felt bad about Quartz and Stargazer.
Stargazer: "I'm not dead!"

Users who are viewing this thread