• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Want to get a banner into the adspace for yourself? Submissions for new banners are open until September 30th!
  • The Writer's Locke has released it's final episode! Come celebrate a fantastic project with it's last hoo-rah.
  • This month's feature has an ANIMATED TRAILER and a backpack shaped like a spheal, what more could you ask for? Read Endurance: In Our Blood by purplechug!
  • The Hidden Gems Showcase (2022) is now closed. Thank you all who turned out this year! You can find all the cool content that got featured here. I hope you find a new gem to read!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Featurer Suggestion 2021 Extravaganza Reflective

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garish Garchomp

Friendly Neighborhood Landshark
Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
Well hello there! You thought it was over, didn't you?

I mean, it is. For all intents and purposes the Ganza is done and dusted, we've handed out the medals, and we're donating the unused t-shirts to charity. But there's still one last piece of business for us to take care of, and that's, uh, you.

Welcome to the Extravaganza Reflective, a place for open discussion about the event, for guided discussion via some questions below, and about future plans for the Extravaganza.

As with all discussion threads, please follow forum rules. Here are some other guidelines to keep things neat and tidy:
  • We do have some topics for everyone we would like answered. If you are coming in for discussion, please don’t skip over these!
  • Stay topical. This is a space for constructive discussion! If you find yourself coming in just to argue because you don’t like something, but you don't have something constructive to offer, please take a step back.
    • As a corollary to this, try to think of solutions! I know from experience that it's easy to find things that can be improved on, but a lot harder to really iron out a proper way to do so. If you can, though, think on concrete ways to approach a given topic, and stay open-minded to other perspectives (even if they're dissenting, of course).
  • Assume positive intent! We want to make sure nobody approaches a topic in bad faith.
  • Featurers will be participating individually as users. We're not monolithic, we have our own opinions on things, so some of us may chip in with our own two cents. Official responses to questions and discussion topics will be under The Tribunal account.

Now then, here's a reminder as to what all we changed this year:
  • Rules on promos were loosened to allow unlimited promos, both in length and quantity. The promo period was also separated into its own thing again, rather than stretching into the nominations period.
  • Year three of our special categories saw the two from year one voted back in, with Best Antagonist and Best Battle replacing Funniest Run and Best Dynamic.
  • Most Improved categories were made creator-based rather than run-based. Also, Best Worldbuilding replaced Best Redesigns for comics.
  • We changed our voting format from Google Forms to a forum-based system, which allowed us to restrict voting only to users who had been on the forums for 60 days' time.
  • We added better clarifications throughout the Ganza process for accessibility, from category definitions to an explanation of the process of advancing participants to the voting stage.

With that covered, here are a few specific questions we have for y'all to mull over. You don't have to give opinions on all of them, but every little bit of feedback helps us improve the Extravaganza going forward, so it'd be much appreciated:
  1. How did you feel about the changes this year? Did they work as intended? Anything interesting stick out to you? Below are some leading questions with regards to some of them.
    • How did the unlimited promos work out for you not as a promoter, but as a reader of runs?
    • Did the forum-based forms work well as a voting system?
    • Were the process clarifications helpful, or did anything remain unclear to you?
  2. We've had cases of users opting out after nominations have been tallied, mainly due to not expecting to have been nominated in the first place. This is a conundrum for them, as they may feel it unneeded or presumptuous to opt out and have their name up there saying they did. How best can we approach this? Is it a question of simply normalizing opt-outs as okay if you don't want to partake (for any reason), or is there a better system than the current one to move to?
  3. Many runs don't have specific antagonists to point to. Do you think there could be a category that could act as a flip side to Best Antagonist, then? Best Theme, or Best Ongoing Conflict, or some such? Be advised, of course, that for a category to be viable it needs to be broad enough that there are plenty of runs that can be nominated for it in the first place.
    • Alternately, do you agree with keeping Best Antagonist centered around characters/organizations (with the gameplay/meta-based exceptions for SSWL runs), or would you prefer a broader approach?
  4. It's an obvious point to make that activity isn't equal across mediums. However, in recent years in both written and SSWL runs, we have had several instances of advancing participants to voting off a single nomination. We have also, in 2 of the last 3 years, had to cut a category entirely from SSWL. So the question is, how we can help this? Could it mean efforts based on engagement, or could it be down to tweaking the Ganza itself? You absolutely do not need to answer this one, of course; it's a hard question, and a broad one at that, but we felt it relevant enough to pose here for discussion.
And of course, here are more open-ended questions as well! The above are jumping-off points for y'all, but this thread is also just for open discussion if you want to bring something up.
  • Did you enjoy the event this year? Was there anything that made you enjoy it more or less than previous year(s)?
  • What ideas do you have for rotational categories to vote on next year? We only had three options in the poll this year, so we could use some help!
  • Do you have any ideas for changes not listed above?
  • Is there anything else you'd like to discuss regarding how we run the Extravaganza?
  • [INSERT YOUR EXCELLENT DISCUSSION POINT HERE]

Thanks again to everyone for participating! Once again, it's been an honor and a pleasure to host the Extravaganza, and I'd love to hear from y'all so that moving forward it'll be even more of one~

TheTRUEgge

three of them?? this has gotten out of hand!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
Oh boy oh boy it's reflection thread time! I looked back through discord logs to answer this, but I wanted to start out with a huge thank you to the feature team! Y'all really knocked this one out of the park, it was a lot of fun to participate in!!
How did you feel about the changes this year? Did they work as intended? Anything interesting stick out to you? Below are some leading questions with regards to some of them.
  • How did the unlimited promos work out for you not as a promoter, but as a reader of runs?
  • Were the process clarifications helpful, or did anything remain unclear to you?
I really liked the vast majority of changes this year! Best worldbuilding coming to comics was great, forum voting worked exactly as intended, and clarifications on categories and other aspects of the event were excellent. Promos were an interesting experiment, and overall, I enjoyed seeing a lot of runs that I liked (as well as my own runs) get promoted multiple times. However, I can't say that promos gave me more than a few new runs to read, if that. Part of it was that I've read most comics on the forums (and am less interested in the written runs that were promoted), but another part of it was that the sheer number of promos was somewhat overwhelming. To fix this, I would suggest reinstating a limit on the number of promos, though not on their length. I think that the limit of five we used in previous years was good--perhaps allow five plus a self promotion? I think this would help limit the number of promos and possibly lead to more compelling promos that would give people more reasons to check out runs they haven't read yet. However, I can't deny that I adored the chaotic and uplifting energy that unlimited promotions brought about. I loved writing mine, I loved seeing other creators write promotions and gush about their favorite runs, and overall there was an air of community and love in forum spaces during the promo period. I want that to stick around, but perhaps take on a different form? My thought was that we could do a summer event that focuses entirely on promoting the work of each other, with no competitive aspect. People can promote as many runs as they'd like (Maybe no self promos? for flavor) and lift up creators they love.

We've had cases of users opting out after nominations have been tallied, mainly due to not expecting to have been nominated in the first place. This is a conundrum for them, as they may feel it unneeded or presumptuous to opt out and have their name up there saying they did. How best can we approach this? Is it a question of simply normalizing opt-outs as okay if you don't want to partake (for any reason), or is there a better system than the current one to move to?

The system we used for people that opted out before the nomination period appeared to work well this year, and I think that the best move going forward will be to normalize opting out if you don't wish to participate in the ganza. I don't know about how to handle people who opt out during nominations, because I feel like doing so is somewhat unfair to the people who nominated them--especially if it's last minute, because now those people need to think of different folks to nominate on short notice. I think that generally being more accepting of early opt-outs would help to curb this, at least to some degree.

Many runs don't have specific antagonists to point to. Do you think there could be a category that could act as a flip side to Best Antagonist, then? Best Theme, or Best Ongoing Conflict, or some such? Be advised, of course, that for a category to be viable it needs to be broad enough that there are plenty of runs that can be nominated for it in the first place.
  • Alternately, do you agree with keeping Best Antagonist centered around characters/organizations (with the gameplay/meta-based exceptions for SSWL runs), or would you prefer a broader approach?
I think that a category along the lines of "best conflict" would serve well as a replacement for best antagonist. It's a broader category that could theoretically fit any traditional antagonist as well as broader groups/events going on within the narratives of stories. Best theme would be an interesting category in theory, but I think that nominating for it would be very subjective, and difficult to get consensus on. Overall, I would prefer a broader approach to best antagonist. If it's going to be a yearly category, I think it's best to keep it more applicable to as many stories as possible.

It's an obvious point to make that activity isn't equal across mediums. However, in recent years in both written and SSWL runs, we have had several instances of advancing participants to voting off a single nomination. We have also, in 2 of the last 3 years, had to cut a category entirely from SSWL. So the question is, how we can help this? Could it mean efforts based on engagement, or could it be down to tweaking the Ganza itself? You absolutely do not need to answer this one, of course; it's a hard question, and a broad one at that, but we felt it relevant enough to pose here for discussion.

There isn't an easy answer to this question, but I think that some restructuring should be made to better reflect the current landscape of screenshot runs. I am by no means an expert in them--I just write one and read a few--but it's my impression that story-driven SSWLs along the lines of Manic's runs have become much less prevalent in recent years, which makes it much harder to nominate for categories such as "saddest death" or "best main character". I don't think it's unfair to say that SSWL's current landscape is more focused on making one's run unique. This may be through art, your choice of game/ruleset, or an engaging commentary style (or a mix of those!), but ultimately the days of a million vanilla emerald screenshot runs are long gone. I think that creating categories that cater more to this specific knowledge would lead to more engagement with that side of the community--something like "best premise" or "best execution of a premise" maybe? I'm not sure. What I do know is that SSWL is extremely hard to nominate for under the current categories, and I believe that the medium needs specific care to get categories that cater to it.

I'd also like to talk a bit about some miscellaneous things! These are largely talking points borrowed from discussions I had in a few different Nuzlocke servers with a few different creators.

I think that some form of "Best Redesigns" should remain in comics, but I agree that "Best Redesigns" as it is currently defined is a bit vague and easily overlaps with best artstyle. There are two solutions to this that I can see: either change it specifically to "Best redesign", singular, or change it to "best character design", also singular. I think that limiting selection to just one character per nomination would help remove the overlap between it and best artstyle.

That said, best worldbuilding excellent category 10/10 may it stay here forever. Other thoughts on category changes: I think it was a shame that funniest run is rotational in comics; enough comics have humor as a part of them that I don't think an issue of running out of comics to nominate would really happen. By my understanding that's one of the primary reasons for rotational categories at all? I miss funniest run, that's why I say this.

I... swear I had more thoughts. Can't think of any at the moment though. I'm sure I'll think of them eventually, though.

Salt&PepperBunny

Author of Finding Your Roots and Little Lapses
Artist
Godfather
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Flying
Pokédex Entry
Rabbits are so human. Or perhaps, humans are so rabbit?
Can best battle be every year? 🥺 Battles are so integral not just to nuzlockes, but Pokemon a concept.

Winterspheonix

Comic Secret Hoarder
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Flying
  2. Ice
1. I liked the fact there was an explanation to the themeings of the categories, as I remember struggling with Best New last year! The Forum-based forms felt a lil... messy to say the least. I had several friends and myself struggling with them a lot cause they glitched and wouldn't open properly. However, other than that i can see the benefits to them quite a bit and was very easily to click and update. As for promotions, I do like the unlimited section, however, it can be hard when I see several runs ive already read. There werent many I felt I hadnt seen before. However, I think thats hard to do. Because settling a limit may end up making participants feel they need to pick and choose again and that would limit possibly newer or less seen nuzlockes be able to compete with that competition. I think someone did something perfect thought on the forms that could assist. In the forums, one user had long time favorites, and then ones they found recently. It was divided by the spoiler tags and allowed for much easier roaming. They felt the easiest to scroll through, even allowing me to look into their new favourites to see if any new nuzlockes were on there. So I think this kind of spoiler format may assist in TrueEgge's problem above.

2. This one is hard, because of the nature of Ganza itself. Sadly I think it is a necessary evil. Because what happens if someone wants to vote for someone who opted out? And its a majority of people? Suddenly nominations would be a lot more harder because i would feel Id have to ask people if they were opting out via dms and discord rather than just having the information there and knowing. I think normalization is the best way to go. It's okay to say no for whatever reason. It should feel like an optional event like how the summer event is, rather than something expected of them.

3. think mixing it into a category that supports both, because overall theme/conflict creates a more different value to me and would almost erase the anatomist feel. Comments like themeing would be best its own category. I do like the entire of broadening it to an organization and/or force of people. I think if its something too board I'd feel like it should be its own category. As long as it contains the "this is the antaongistic" section, i would be down for it. I think too broad a topic that is negative would be best suited for its own category. (This is also adding on that a lot of nuzlockes do not get to their main antagonist right away, hence where the additional struggle comes from.)

4. I dont read many of these so sadly I dont really have much to say on it sorry.

As for additional notes, I think Best Worldbuilding truly deserves to stay. With stories being more narrative focused and adventurous, Best Worldbuilding deserves to stick around as a main category. It is simply one of the most relevant topics and can even serve in the other categories very well. I really loved promos this year and I had a lot of fun Thanks so much for organizing this again! :D

Last edited:

Winterspheonix

Comic Secret Hoarder
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Flying
  2. Ice
That said, best worldbuilding excellent category 10/10 may it stay here forever. Other thoughts on category changes: I think it was a shame that funniest run is rotational in comics; enough comics have humor as a part of them that I don't think an issue of running out of comics to nominate would really happen. By my understanding that's one of the primary reasons for rotational categories at all? I miss funniest run, that's why I say this.
Sorry for leaping on this. As much as I love Best Funniest... I just.... cannot see it as a main category. I think it does fit best with Rotational. Mainly because I can really only count a handful of comics in my brain that I would dictate as Best Funniest contenders, some have already won the category, and with only a few having comedy coming up frequently/significantly enough that I would feel comfy nomming it. Best Redesigns or Best Battle would feel more relevant to the main categories than funniest due to frequency.(Though as said before I 100% agree Best Worldbuilding should stay as a main category.) I would personally have to skip nomming Best Funniest to wait for the final five and pick between the nominees to handle a annual Best Funniest. Rotational feels like a good enough spot to have the time to allow more gag or funnier moments in comics happen to allow for better spectrum, especially with Nuzlocke comics being less comedic lately and more narrative. (not that they cant be both).

Last edited:
  • Squint
Reactions: DIO

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
I don't have a lot of opinions on all of these, but I do want to plug Egge's reply about SSWL nominations.

TheTrueEgge said:
There isn't an easy answer to this question, but I think that some restructuring should be made to better reflect the current landscape of screenshot runs. I am by no means an expert in them--I just write one and read a few--but it's my impression that story-driven SSWLs along the lines of Manic's runs have become much less prevalent in recent years, which makes it much harder to nominate for categories such as "saddest death" or "best main character". I don't think it's unfair to say that SSWL's current landscape is more focused on making one's run unique. This may be through art, your choice of game/ruleset, or an engaging commentary style (or a mix of those!), but ultimately the days of a million vanilla emerald screenshot runs are long gone. I think that creating categories that cater more to this specific knowledge would lead to more engagement with that side of the community--something like "best premise" or "best execution of a premise" maybe? I'm not sure. What I do know is that SSWL is extremely hard to nominate for under the current categories, and I believe that the medium needs specific care to get categories that cater to it.
As someone who has made multiple SSWLs now, it seems like SSWLs are becoming an increasingly common vector for exhibiting complex rulesets, so maybe a category like "Best Explanation of Ruleset / Game Concepts" could work?

KitkatKK2

Derp
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/She
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon can often be found alone in her room writing or reading. This is because she is an introvert who doesn’t feel like going outside today.
I want to be able to nominate racism as best antagonist

but seriously, a broader category would be nice. Like, looking at Clockwork, the antagonist isn’t so much a person as a (heretofore unnamed) “be mean to Kay” force. Said force isn’t a CHARACTER, but it is the main conflict.

“best conflict” would be a cool replacement category.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
I am likewise in favor of 'Best Conflict' as a replacement for 'Best Antagonist.'

DIO

🍷 The Invader 🍷
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Naughty
Pokémon Type
  1. Flying
  2. Beautiful
Pokédex Entry
You were expecting an unfunny Pokédex entry here, but it was me, Dio!
My only suggestions is to make Funniest Run a permanent category. It's a staple!

oh and make animated nuzlocke a category so i can win by default :D

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
As for the SSWL runs debacle, I agree that it might be helpful to think of some categories that are more gameplay-specific since there aren't as many story-based runs. I actually think making 'best battle' a staple works well here, because lord knows we get some doozies of battles in screesnhot runs. I also think 'worst luck' would be a cool SSWL category. Every screenshot run I've read has at least one moment of "wow...this game hates you and you specifically". And maybe even have an opposite "Best Luck" category for specific moments in the game where things go gloriously right for once.

DIO

🍷 The Invader 🍷
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Naughty
Pokémon Type
  1. Flying
  2. Beautiful
Pokédex Entry
You were expecting an unfunny Pokédex entry here, but it was me, Dio!
I'm gonna add that just because there are "less funny runs" (which I wholeheartedly disagree with, there's been more humour in nuzlockes as of late), doesn't mean they shouldn't be acknowledged. For example, Wanted! is one of the funniest nuzlockes I've read, but it's also very depressing. It doesn't have to be a completely humour-based run to win. Runs with comedic moments should count, as lest we forget, family guy funny moments were a staple in earliest nuzlocke comics.

Winterspheonix

Comic Secret Hoarder
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Flying
  2. Ice
I'm gonna add that just because there are "less funny runs" (which I wholeheartedly disagree with, there's been more humour in nuzlockes as of late), doesn't mean they shouldn't be acknowledged. For example, Wanted! is one of the funniest nuzlockes I've read, but it's also very depressing. It doesn't have to be a completely humour-based run to win. Runs with comedic moments should count, as lest we forget, family guy funny moments were a staple in earliest nuzlocke comics.

They do deserve time in the limelight, that is not the implication, but that doesn't change my points. From my own experience, i dont know many, and i dont see many promoed either in Ganza. (Hence one problem) I actually do like the idea of changing the name potentially to "Funniest Moment" rather than "Funniest Run" as it would open it up to runs that have moments but aren't as focused on humour as others. (As that would also fit with the example you gave of Wanted)

However, that poses the question if other categories like Best Dynamic, Best Battle, Best Redesign exist and are just as relevant, then why not open up the possible slot to them too? This is due to them being more boarder and more universally used more by the majority of the comics.

It also poses the question that, say it gets changed and we try to put Best Funniest in as a permanent slot, what would it replace? Because I feel like all the permanent categories are good staples and deserve to stay/have larger contender pools. If we added it on as an additional category Id be interested in it moreso. But for now I would still disagree in it being a permanent category.

Reactions: ima

Vivace

Designated Meganium Defender
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
He/Him / They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
The Lad Pokemon, Vivace's main powers are photoshop and chatting shit. Manages the unofficial nuzlocke football team.
Gonna second the suggestion to make "Best battle" a yearly category, especially for comics/written. I cannot get enough of seeing other users' interpretations of how pokémon battles work, and I want to see it celebrated in the extravaganza!
To answer the original post, I had a blast with the extravaganza, the changes were good ones (though I didn't participate in 2020 so my perspective is incomplete), and look forward to the next :D

SysterSyn

The almighty dingo, provider of juice.
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 18, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
It possesses only one singular braincell, which it uses to bully fictional characters and write comics about it..
Woo! Another great year and I'm once again eating up all that juicy community spirit. Congrats, thanks, and good vibes to everyone involved :)
Gotta go to work but time to drop some onions first:

I've read a lot of runs, so promos doesn't help me much personally anyway, ha, but please bring the limit back. I feel people felt pressured to write every single run they could think of, which is really nice- but it turned a lot of comments into text walls, which people are less likely to bother reading, and also created lots of duplicates, which hid the lesser known runs that was the whole point of the promo period to begin with.
Voting directly in the forums worked great though! I really liked that, and I didn't have any issues with the process personally either

Perhaps make more of a point of opting-out beforehand? I definitely agree that the event should be optional to everyone- and I think people should be allowed to opt out at a later point if they want to, but on the same vein, the mods are already doing gods work and a lot of people put a huge amount of thought into their votes too- so ideally you want to be alerted sooner in as many cases as possible.

I feel like best conflict will just become a hybrid of best antagonist and best battle and doesn't really bring anything to the table. I don't think it's broad or different enough to warrant adding personally. Pretty sure the racism incident was really just a joke that got out of hand so I don't think it's worth changing the system in place over that.

I can't really speak much for the written or sswl categories, but i feel really all that can be done about that is attempting to bring more attention to them and hope. Perhaps some kind of event in the year to draw some focus in? It's a tricky one

Other points:
Joining the funniest debate with some points from the 100D server. I think the main conflict here is that the category is so different to all the others, and there's not really a solution that will keep everyone happy. A lot of runs DO contain humour, but in most cases it's not the main focus, and being hailed for your humour when you're aiming for a gritty or emotional story is a bit unfair on those other themes that deserve just as much praise if not more. Perhaps bringing more theme-based groups to the table and rotating between those would help with this, maybe not great examples from the top of my head haha, but most emotional, most dramatic, best romance, most wholesome... etc.
Of course, choosing these that they don't overlap with other categories is important too, but perhaps worth discussing if anyone has some juicy ideas?

It should also be clarified somewhere that people can nominate deaths/battles etc. that didn't happen that year so long as the comic updated in the current time-frame, as I noticed there was a lot of confusion over that

That's all off the top of my head but I'll jump back in if I think of anything else.

Thanks for another great ganza everyone!

YumeTsuki

Professional Moron
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 1, 2020
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Occassionally appears on a whim.
  1. How did you feel about the changes this year? Did they work as intended? Anything interesting stick out to you?

Regarding the unlimited promo's as a promoter, the unlimited promotions DID allow for me to give attention to all comic runs I really loved this year, which is the one positive I have to say about it. Though it will always come with the nagging feeling of regret to those that I ended up not featuring even if I featured almost over 50 nuzlocke runs. (I did limit myself to only promo the runs I have had the chance to read) With that said, I originally intended to make a little fanart for every promo that I'd do, but with the introduction of unlimited promo's, that quickly became... Not that feasible.

All that said, without a limit, more space to promote everything that you like and love, I feel like it becomes more likely for certain runs to slip between the cracks and end up in a blind spot. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe some promoters had taken extra time to dig through the promo's that were already given to try and include the forgotten ones. But with a limit I feel like people would take more time to make their promo's matter and include mostly runs that haven't been mentioned yet.

I read a lot of comic runs already and follow them pretty closely. Though my reach is usually more stretched over what is posted on Deviantart Nuzlocke groups than any other platform, with the few exceptions of comics I discovered on last extravaganza and added to my watchlist on Comic Fury. In the end I managed to discover a bunch of precious gems. Though since I've been more up to date than ever, there wasn't much for me to catch up on in the end. Unlike last year, but since last year was my first time, it's also understandable.

Definitely liked this feature a lot. Though I forgot pretty quickly what I had voted for after submitting my votes. xD

I had a pretty clear understanding of what each category meant, but it probably also helped to be in an open group chat with a bunch of the feature-team members. So in that aspect my judgement on this front could've been muddled slightly.
  2. We've had cases of users opting out after nominations have been tallied, mainly due to not expecting to have been nominated in the first place. This is a conundrum for them, as they may feel it unneeded or presumptuous to opt out and have their name up there saying they did. How best can we approach this? Is it a question of simply normalizing opt-outs as okay if you don't want to partake (for any reason), or is there a better system than the current one to move to?

I understand the concern towards being considered presumptious and the question of how neccessary it may be to opt out in the first place, but the Extravaganza is often an unpredictable event, and in the end you are your own worst critic, so you might feel it's an unneccessary precaution to opt-out in advance. But if you don't want to participate, then you should not need to justify your reasons whatever they may be. It would be incredibly childish to hold someone accountable for not wanting to participate.

Personally I would like the clarity of who doesn't want to participate during these events. I take a lot of time and effort to take all the options in account for my nominations because I want the votes I make to have meaning and not be lost in the void. We only get three per category after all, and I feel like the knowledge of who wants to and who doesn't want to participate can make some sort the difference in tallies.

3. Many runs don't have specific antagonists to point to. Do you think there could be a category that could act as a flip side to Best Antagonist, then? Best Theme, or Best Ongoing Conflict, or some such? Be advised, of course, that for a category to be viable it needs to be broad enough that there are plenty of runs that can be nominated for it in the first place.

I've noticed some mentions of combining the two... But combining it with main antagonist would muddle the terms too much in my opinion as I don't relate those two factors as much. It's going to compare abstracts to tangible things and I feel that would end up drowning out one of the two if they aren't divided. I find thematics and conflicts stand much closer, and would be a part of worldbuilding than it does to antagonists. That is to say, I wouldn't throw it into worldbuilding either, since worldbuilding is more than the thematics and conflicts it relates to. It just needs to have it's own category.

I feel like it's explanation could definitely be broadened. Antagonist refers specifically as the opposition to a protagonist. As mentioned before, some runs don't have a clear Main Antagonist (yet) and would therefore be considered not viable candidates, but what of the characters or organizations that stood in the way of the protagonist that have eventually been defeated or shifted perspective? I think those still hold some level of viability in the category.
  4. It's an obvious point to make that activity isn't equal across mediums. However, in recent years in both written and SSWL runs, we have had several instances of advancing participants to voting off a single nomination. We have also, in 2 of the last 3 years, had to cut a category entirely from SSWL. So the question is, how we can help this? Could it mean efforts based on engagement, or could it be down to tweaking the Ganza itself? You absolutely do not need to answer this one, of course; it's a hard question, and a broad one at that, but we felt it relevant enough to pose here for discussion.

I had no reason to involve myself into written and SSWL runs. While I sometimes read a few runs, the reason I so intensively read comics during Extravaganza is so I can make a fair, unbiased decision. I feel like it would be unfair in a way if I would vote on any of those sections while I have obviously not dug through all the content that's been brought out that year.

And it's just not feasible to read all of it at the end of the year in the short time we have to try and make a reasonable decision. Promotions will not help those who aren't up to date to make an appropriate decision the timespan for that is just too short. At most it will refresh some minds on what they would want to vote for if they have already read the runs.

I think both sections would benefit from having a means to be featured throughout the year to garner more attention. I'm not exactly sure of what ways... One that comes to mind for me is kind of like an involved reading session, sort of like an audio-book kind of thing. Which I'm not entirely certain how feasible that would be to maintain... I generally just know Pcaara does this for comics on livestream where she live-reacts to reading comics...
  • Did you enjoy the event this year? Was there anything that made you enjoy it more or less than previous year(s)?

As always it's a joy to find new gems to read. The competition for this year was once again fierce and it's exciting to be part of this.

Neowth

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
I don't really care tbh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
A dork from the North
It was cool to see what other people have been reading, and the longer promo period gave you time to check out the ones that picked your interests.
For some reason I could not vote the forums, current theory is it's either my browser (safari) or there was some kind of add/cookie block going on I could not find and turn off. Huge thank you to the whole team for helping me out with it and providing other ways to vote!! You guys are the best <3

But that being said, I do like the idea to keep the voting here instead of behind links. I guess it makes it more easier to access and professional looking?
For some reason, I never found from the forums itself when one phase was over and other began. I always had to check Discord to be on the track when i.e the actual voting started and the event ended.

We've had cases of users opting out after nominations have been tallied, mainly due to not expecting to have been nominated in the first place. This is a conundrum for them, as they may feel it unneeded or presumptuous to opt out and have their name up there saying they did. How best can we approach this? Is it a question of simply normalizing opt-outs as okay if you don't want to partake (for any reason), or is there a better system than
the current one to move to?

Hmm, interesting. I think when contacting the ones who won the nominations, it would be good to ask if they're alright with it? Or everyone could be informed to contact the staff if they don't want to take part in the ganza at all.

Many runs don't have specific antagonists to point to. Do you think there could be a category that could act as a flip side to Best Antagonist, then? Best Theme, or Best Ongoing Conflict, or some such? Be advised, of course, that for a category to be viable it needs to be broad enough that there are plenty of runs that can be nominated for it in the first place.
I like 'the best conflict' option. Sometimes I feel someone is picked up as 'the best villain/antagonist' because the design or the idea behind them is cool, but we don't even really have confirmation if the popular theories or the tittle of an antagonist is even correct. And this also gives a chance for more light-hearted and newer comics to take part in this category, whatever the conflict is between the characters or a situation.

But since an antagonist and a conflict/theme is completely a different thing, I'd say you just got yourself a new category for the next year, best conflict and best antagonist :)
Best theme is a little bit too abstract I think, since readers might have a different takes on what the comic's theme is compared to the author (which I find more than alright, stories and art is there to bring out emotions and thoughts from its observers) so the noms might be all over the place in the end
If the 'best antagonist' category is kept, I guess that would be the clearest way to put it.

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
I too am in favor of seeing Best Antagonist replaced with Best Conflict and of making Best Battle a yearly category

ima

Finding Balance
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 30, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
  3. Psychic
Okay so hiiii I'm very excited to talk with everyone about this ganza! Honestly, I was really looking forward to the reflective so I'm a little hyped to hear everyone's thoughts! Anyways! I'm just going to answer the questions first and then get to my own little side thing!

1. How did you feel about the changes this year? Did they work as intended? Anything interesting stick out to you? Below are some leading questions with regards to some of them.
I really liked the changes this year!! Despite being my first year, I think things went very smoothly (from the outside perspective anyway lol).

As the reader of the runs, I do have to admit things did feel oversaturated. It was so cool to see so many people promo others, but it did lead to a lot of just scrolling through the page and mostly skimming things. I think a way to avoid the issue is to have people break their promos into increments, maybe putting 5 promos per spoiler other something like that.

I think it did! It worked well enough for me anyway. I honestly thought it was kinda cool to have our own voting system set up. I didn’t have any issues with it! I do think someone brought this up though is having a voting system where you can basically rank the runs in different placements and tally up the votes through there. I think it was a cool idea, not sure if it needs to be implemented but I think something worth looking into!

I think things were perfectly clear!

1. We've had cases of users opting out after nominations have been tallied, mainly due to not expecting to have been nominated in the first place. This is a conundrum for them, as they may feel it unneeded or presumptuous to opt out and have their name up there saying they did. How best can we approach this? Is it a question of simply normalizing opt-outs as okay if you don't want to partake (for any reason), or is there a better system than the current one to move to?
I think everyone agrees with the Ganza being 100% optional, no one should be forced to participate if they don’t want to. No one should be ashamed for not joining, it’s an event that should be fun for everyone involved. I’m not sure how to tackle the rest of this question though if I’m perfectly honest.

1. Many runs don't have specific antagonists to point to. Do you think there could be a category that could act as a flip side to Best Antagonist, then? Best Theme, or Best Ongoing Conflict, or some such? Be advised, of course, that for a category to be viable it needs to be broad enough that there are plenty of runs that can be nominated for it in the first place.
I think keeping it to characters and organizations was fine. I’m not sure what a broader approach would look like other than the different events/struggles the characters going through.

Maybe relabeling Best Antagonist to Best Antagonistic Force can encapsulate the previously stated suggestions (characters, organization, etc), but also capture different events that our cast could potentially go through. Such as weather, wild pokemon (for real-world example, a shark attacking the protag), or sometimes a more internal force within the protagonist. Being your own worst enemy of sorts (ex; [Name]’s Pride, [Name]’s Arrogance etc)

I think if we did go that route, we might have to consult the creators on their opinions. Speaking as a creator, I wouldn’t be offended if people labeled some of my character's flaws, I mean, I wrote them for a reason, and it would be kinda cool to see that acknowledgment from readers.

Sometimes being an antagonist doesn’t make them inherently evil, sure there are some evil guys, but sometimes they’re just a challenge that stands between the protagonist’s goals. And I think people need to remember that more.

1. It's an obvious point to make that activity isn't equal across mediums. However, in recent years in both written and SSWL runs, we have had several instances of advancing participants to voting off a single nomination. We have also, in 2 of the last 3 years, had to cut a category entirely from SSWL. So, the question is, how we can help this? Could it mean efforts based on engagement, or could it be down to tweaking the Ganza itself? You absolutely do not need to answer this one, of course; it's a hard question, and a broad one at that, but we felt it relevant enough to pose here for discussion.
I’ve only read 1 written run and 0 screenshot runs, so I’m not the best person to ask about SSWL. I’m very comic orientated so I am going to be biased in this instance. I do believe if we are seeing a lack of activity for certain mediums, it’s best to follow the same trend in the Ganza. It’s okay to lessen or expand the pool of categories to reflect the community’s activity. You could try to increase engagement, but I don’t have any ideas for that.

I want to say first is that I absolutely enjoyed the ganza this year! It was my first and it was so much fun to be involved with this community! Everyone here is so kind that I honestly can't think of better people to create stories with! I don't really have any thoughts on how to "change" the ganza in the sense of improving it, but I do have some new ideas for categories

I'm not sure if my thoughts are going to be considered controversial or anything, but I do hope it sparks a conversation!​

The categories that were presented this year, Best Antagonist and Best WorldBuilding were really cool to see honestly! I really enjoyed the more story-driven aspects that were given to the runs this year. I kinda want to push it even further though if that's okay.

I'm a little biased when it comes to nuzlockes. I prioritize story above gameplay so the things I will lean into will always be more narrative-driven. With that being said, I do also tend to read more comics than any other medium (i'msosorryscreenshotandwrittenrunsipromiseiloveyoutoo) so the things I will discuss will pertain mostly to that medium.

I have noticed a few story patterns/tropes. For example, let's say we're following a team, in that team there will always be at least two of these members - the soft, sweet wholesome character and the mean baddie you can't help but love. With the frequency of these character types it had me thinking; why don't we just implement tropes as categories? Tropes aren't bad by the way! I know we all tend to avoid them if we can, but tropes are something that will always happen in a story, and sometimes they're desired. It's not a bad thing to have a trope in your run. I think most people confuse tropes and cliches, but even then cliches aren't necessarily a bad thing either. I think it's how we write those cliches that can make it stale, but if we expand upon them to form our own ideas then I believe we have a story that's still worth telling. We've had plenty of discussions about different types of tropes appearing in comics that it seems to me that there are plenty of contenders to choose from and could potentially diverse the ballot!

Most Wholesome Character, Most Loveable Headache, Best Leading Leader (lol), Best Team Dynamic (mon or g), Best Found Family (could potentially conflict with team dynamic), Best Death Romance, Worst Parent, etc​

This also can introduce the topic of genres being categories as well, like Dingo had mentioned earlier [most emotional, most dramatic, best romance, most wholesome, etc] I think that can be really cool to see!! And worth having a conversation about​

I can expand on these thoughts, but honestly, I don't know what else to say that won't come across as pointless jargon. I think you guys get the point I'm trying to make, but if you dooon't 👀 let's talk about it

and if you do! let's still talk about it lol

TheTRUEgge

three of them?? this has gotten out of hand!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
Most Loveable Headache,

This could be an absolutely delightful rotational category! There are so many stinky children it could apply to in comics

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
Answers to Questions:
As a reader of runs, promos honestly do absolutely nothing for me because I already read almost every comic and am aware of the ones I haven't read yet. I start reading new ones whenever I have time and I give everything that's legible enough a chance.

Still love reading promos, though. It's so interesting to see what others have to say about the works I love!

I'm so glad we tried the unlimited promos, what a brave and excellent decision! However, I would never have expected things to turn out the way they did. I thought just a few people would go unhinged and do dozens of promos, but it was, like, almost everyone. This outpouring of love was so fun and nice to see, but there was just So Much that I doubt that there were many people who could keep up with reading the promos. Even I probably missed some.
Personally, I only got around to writing my promos near the end of the promo period, and I felt kinda bad for only doing 5 (longer ones and with images, but still) and discouraged because nobody was going to read them at that point. Nice gifts for the creators, but not fulfilling the purpose of getting more eyes on their work.

I second Egge's suggestion to return to a limited of 5 promos per person, with unlimited length per promo, plus the option of a self promo outside of the 5 slots.

It worked perfectly for me, and it's good that the forum integration made it so that there could be no misunderstandings in who was allowed to vote.
Excellent work on this!

The only thing that was unclear to me was that you can nominate deaths/battles that happened before the particular year, I was surprised to find out about that. Makes sense, but I actually don't think I want this added to the clarifications since I'm worried that if it's more broadly known, people will dig up old stuff from the most popular creators over and over instead of nominating current stuff from a variety of creators.

• We've had cases of users opting out after nominations have been tallied, mainly due to not expecting to have been nominated in the first place. This is a conundrum for them, as they may feel it unneeded or presumptuous to opt out and have their name up there saying they did. How best can we approach this? Is it a question of simply normalizing opt-outs as okay if you don't want to partake (for any reason), or is there a better system than the current one to move to?
There is no other way to handle this than the one that has been practiced so far. Nobody should be punished (how would that even work?) for opting out, no matter how late in the process. It's baffling to me why someone would want to do this after people already nominated them, but forcing them to participate would still be just wrong.

I guess the only thing that would help would be making it even more obvious that you can and should opt out in advance and that it's not presumptuous to do so? The public list of opt-outs is absolutely necessary for not wasting precious nomination slots.

• Many runs don't have specific antagonists to point to. Do you think there could be a category that could act as a flip side to Best Antagonist, then? Best Theme, or Best Ongoing Conflict, or some such? Be advised, of course, that for a category to be viable it needs to be broad enough that there are plenty of runs that can be nominated for it in the first place.
I think a category like Best Theme/Best Conflict would be too abstract and I would prefer to be more lenient in the Best Antagonist category. This is probably the most difficult category to scrape up nominations for since most runs don't have their antagonists doing a lot until very far in, and allowing something like "Racism in Finding Your Roots" (yes) would make more newer runs eligible for this category.
I like the name "Best Antagonistic Force" that ima suggested!

• It's an obvious point to make that activity isn't equal across mediums. However, in recent years in both written and SSWL runs, we have had several instances of advancing participants to voting off a single nomination. We have also, in 2 of the last 3 years, had to cut a category entirely from SSWL. So the question is, how we can help this? Could it mean efforts based on engagement, or could it be down to tweaking the Ganza itself? You absolutely do not need to answer this one, of course; it's a hard question, and a broad one at that, but we felt it relevant enough to pose here for discussion.
I got nothing, sorry. 😔

Other Thoughts:

• Most Improved as creator-based instead of run-based makes so much sense, excellent change!
  • I am once again begging on my knees to add one more permanent category for Comics (without removing another). 🥺 This year I managed a completely filled in all unique comics ballot (last year I had exactly one repeat creator), and there were not nearly enough slots to fit in every creator who I think should get an award. As others already mentioned, a good candidate for a new permanent category would be Best Battle.
    • Last year, the response to this suggestion was that Written and SSWL runs would have to get an extra category too then, which isn't feasible with how little nominations they already get. But the question above just mentioned the option of cutting a category in SSWL, so it seems the need to have all mediums treated the same way isn't set in stone anymore. And also: Best Battle would totally work for all mediums. So maybe?
  • Best Character Design(s) for rotational category please! It doesn't deserve to permanent again since I don't think the problem of it being pretty much Art Style 2 can be solved, but it would be nice to have sometimes.
  • I think the Forums are not yet utilizing their whole potential to call attention to the Ganza and other events and make them easily accessible. I have so many very young or not tech savvy friends who don't have much experience navigating a forum, and they always have a lot of trouble finding the threads again, especially the post with the schedule.
    • Suggestion: Whenever there's an event like the Ganza or the Summer Spectacular going on, there could be some kind of banner or sidebar widget near the top of the front page for the whole duration of the event with the schedule and links to the relevant threads. This would help people who aren't good with forums immensely, and it would also keep people from forgetting about the event after having looked at the thread once.
    • Might also help with the above mentioned "making it even more obvious that you can and should opt out in advance".
  • Lastly: This Ganza was fantastic! It seemed to me that the engagement is growing (compared with 2019 and 2020, which is how long I've been on the forum), the ballots are more and more filled in, and there is more and more variety. Well, in the Comic medium at least... Big, big thanks to the staff and Feature Team who works hard to make this possible, it's so amazing that you run such a massive event every year without fail! I appreciate it so much! ❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread