- Catch only the first Pokemon you encounter in an area.
- If a Pokemon is fainted, it’s considered as dead and cannot be used anymore.
A comic run is a Nuzlocke run that retells your Nuzlocking experience in the form of a comic or graphic novel.
A written run is a Nuzlocke run that relies on prose as your retelling medium. From novels or short stories to ones more like scripts, all of them are considered written runs.
A screenshot run is a Nuzlocke run where you share your Nuzlocke experience via screenshots from your gameplay accompanied with captions. These captions may contain their own written stories or dialogues (runs like this are commonly known as storyshots), or just straight commentary of the events that happened in your gameplay.
- Written Log
A written log run is a Nuzlocke run where you share logs of your adventure from your own point of view as a player in something like journal form. Most of these are commentary runs.
A video run is a Nuzlocke run in video form. Be it a let’s play run or animation/animatics run.
- Other Media
This prefix is for other type of mediums that do not fit in with the rest of the other types.
- Mixed Media
Most people tell their Nuzlocke experience via one medium, but there are times when someone can include other mediums in their run to enhance their run experience. In that case, you should consider which one is the primary medium to your run. If the other medium is infrequent, you don’t need to use that prefix, but if they’re both frequent and used interchangeably, then you can use the Mixed Media prefix along with the individual mediums.
- Core Regions
Most Nuzlocke runs take place in the core Pokemon games. There exist individual prefixes for each of the core regions: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola, and Galar. If your run is for any Pokemon hacks based on these regions, use this prefix too.
The Spin-off Nuzlocke prefix is for runs done in any official spin-off games with their own regions, such as the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, Colosseum series, Ranger series, etc.
- Fan Game
The Fan Game prefix is for Nuzlocke runs that are based on gameplay from fan Pokemon games with an original setting.
For Nuzlocke runs with Pokemon character as they are!
For Nuzlocke runs where the Pokemon are personified.
- Other Adventures
For Nuzlocke runs that are looser on the rules side (Nuzlite runs, runs that apply mercy or bullshit clause), or cannot apply the basic Nuzlocke rules directly to the gameplay (such as in PMD games).
For when you just want to share your adventure from your own perspective as a player. Usually for Screenshot runs, Written Log, and let’s play Videos, though it’s also possible to be done in comic form too.
For runs that are played on a hack of any existing Pokemon games.
Rating prefix. If your run contains mature themes, it is mandatory that you label your thread as mature. You can find our mature content policy [here]. Otherwise, you might optionally label your run as General/Teen to help readers filter content they might want to see or avoid.
|Contains mild swearing.||No references to anything sexual.||Cartoon violence.||None/legal only.|
|Contains harsher language, but is relatively infrequent.||Contains mild sexual innuendo and jokes.||Contains explicit violence and/or mild blood and gore.||Infrequent touches on illegal substances.|
|Excessive swearing, especially using more extreme swear words, or use of slurs.||Sexual references, especially involving rape.||Graphic violence, more detailed blood and gore.||Detailed depiction of use of illegal substances.|
|Blatant hate speech (excluding satire & bigoted fictional characters).||Explicit sexual content.||Realistic depiction of extreme violence.||Encouraging use of illegal substances.|
[Post Thread]button and click it! Usually they’re on the top right of the subforum.
[Prefix….]This is for you to select the prefixes, explained above, that correlate with your run.
- Mature - if your run is considered mature
- Other Adventure - if your run uses Nuzlocke rules differently as explained above
[Thread Title]. This is for you to write down your run’s title, with a limit of 150 characters. Some important notes to keep in mind are to make a title that adheres to the Nuzlocke Forum rules, and also make a title that can give people a quick idea of your run.
- Don’t Stop Me Now (title only)
- Don’t Stop Me Now - No Evolution Run of Pokemon Black (title + rule/game)
[First post body]
- Some friendly greeting/words from you
People are more inclined to read/follow runs that won’t bark at them.
- The run’s title and what game it's based on
It’s written on thread title or tags, but there’s no harm in truly clarifying it! It also gives your thread more solid grounding. You can use a banner or covers if your run has them!
- The run’s rules
People would like to know what kind of rules you imposed on yourself to make your life
- Table of contents/Archive/Index of your updates
So people can get a gist of how long your run has been going on, and also for them (and you!) to easily find your updates.
- Your first update
Show the world your story! While there are people who can post a lot of content in one update, most people post in parts or chapters. Having at least the first update of your run in here will tremendously help people gain a quick understanding of your run.
- There is no word or image limit for one post in Xenforo, so go ham with your run's length!
- Make sure to use the Preview feature to see whether your post is properly formatted and has no typos or broken links (in case you’re crossposting into the forum from another platform).
- Covers/banners are okay to be put without a spoiler, but if you have other large images which you need to scroll on web desktop view to see the whole thing, along with huge collection of words (like rules, or your actual update), put them under a spoiler tag so it’ll be easier to load for people, and also you won’t risk overwhelming them with a giant image file or wall of text.
- You can use Xenforo’s smart editor (which allows you to copy paste your content from another place and edit immediately) or you can switch to using BBcode by clicking on the rightmost gear icon at the format tab.
[Thread Description]. You can use this for a lot of things like telling your run's game if you haven't on the title, the update schedule, some content warning for mature rated thread, or, well, other funny notes if you wish, but it also functions similarly to title. You want people to gain a quick understanding of your run after reading this too.
- No evolution run of Pokemon Black. (rules + game)
- I’m having such a good time. Last update: Chapter xx on DD/MM/YY (quote + update schedule)
- CW: Pokemon Death, body horror. (content warning)
[Tag]. Unlike prefixes which are designated by the staff and usually are subforum specific, the tags are user designated and they're more global. If you click on a tag, it'll give you a forum wide result (including images or other things from other subforums).
- Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Conquest, PMD: Explorer of Sky, etc. (games)
- Wedlocke, Chesslocke, Soul Link, etc. (rulesets)
- CW: body horror, author choose not to put content warning, read and proceed at your own risk, etc. (content warning)
[Options]. There’s an option to “Watch this thread”, which allows you to keep watch on your thread, so the site will give you notifications when someone likes your post or replies in your thread. If you don’t want to receive notifications (and e-mails, by extension), you can uncheck it.
[Post Thread]button and show the world your story!
You can use your signature to put a link or a banner back to your own run. If you participate as an active member of the forum, chances are, people are gonna see your signature and might be interested to check your run.
- Discord Server Updates/Promos
Shilling and self-advertising are frowned upon, but in most Nuzlocke Forums related servers, there are designated channels which purpose is to let people know that you’ve started your new run, or you just updated! You can post a link to your run or your update there and let people in Nuzforum Discords see it.
Content Warning (contains spoiler, click at your own risk, otherwise proceed carefully)
And that’s it for the main guide of how to post your run thread in the Nuzforum! The second part of this guide, or some hot tips that can help you improve your run's thread will be detailed more in the link down below. These tips are not mandatory, but they may be helpful to improve your run's readability and accessibility, thus increasing its engagement with many readers out there.
[Part 2 link]
Now go wild and let the world know about your cool adventure!