• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

Nuzlocke Forums

RubyClaw
RubyClaw
Good question! I think most Nuzlockers I've seen go for the "play first, finish, then write it all down" approach as it gives you far more freedom when writing your story or deciding on what parts of the gameplay you want to put more emphasis on.
RubyClaw
RubyClaw
However I personally prefer to go with the "write it as I go" approach, especially for my blind runs, as it makes sure I write things more or less when I experienced them, giving the readers a true glimpse to how I felt as I played the game.

There is a third in-between option of writing things as you go but with a proper delay which is also rather common.

But in the end, that's up to you and what style you prefer.
trivialuvs
trivialuvs
Thanks for the thoughts! I take notes, kind of like lists of things that happen as I play. Maybe a little like a written log? Then I edit it and make it into a written story. I think It's kind of an in between!
Flop disc
Flop disc
I've tried it both ways and I think maybe starting from like, halfway through gameplay could be a good compromise? That way you can safely play around with the introductory chapters of your story.
Flop disc
Flop disc
I was reading a bit of your avatarlocke this morning and one of the things that struck me was the sort of kitchen sink approach -- including as much as you could from gameplay bc you might not be sure what will or will not pay off. I think hedging your bets is a solid option, there! But with a little more lead time, you could have the room to pare things down in subsequent chapters.
Flop disc
Flop disc
Fun read and a cool concept, btw! The lore of benders and pokemon type affinities is such a cool idea.