• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Work/Job Discussion

Thread Description
A place for discussing the work and tasks we go through to provide for ourselves/our families.

Ardomew

Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
The Violet Wizard. Passionate about art, food, and games.
I thought it'd be neat to have a place to discuss our jobs/workplaces, as well as unusual things that happen to us during the daily grind.

To start with, I've been working at a grocery store for over four years now. It's been a good source of income/experience for me, and I've definitely grown into a more efficient and dependable worker from being there. Our staff is also super nice and helpful, and I feel like I've made good connections with some of my coworkers. It's tiring work, not helped with how erratic my schedule is, but I've really come to enjoy being part of this team.

What's your job/career, and how has it impacted/evolved you?

Fullmental

*Fódlan Winds intensifies*
Tech Team
🎇Contributor
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
That one building with no door for a hero to open.
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Rock, Clever
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon can sometimes be found meticulously editing and re-editing it's own content, never satisfied with the results.
I'm a business analyst specializing in B2B transactions, including data mapping and secure transmission implementation, UAT testing, and production support at a data processing and HCM provider. If you have health benefits, a direct deposit, or have a 401K, and utilize my company as a TPA, my team has a hand in ensuring that any necessary data for you to get paid or receive benefits gets passed along to your providers/banks.

My own job is very flexible in that I am frequently able to shift gears and go from project to project as effort hours are needed. This is both a blessing and a curse - a blessing in that I never feel like I'm burning out doing the same stuff day in and day out, but a curse in that there are some very stressful time crunches involves in a lot of these projects, and factoring in time to learn and get up to speed with a segment of the business I may have otherwise been unfamiliar with can be extremely challenging. Still, I've been working for this company ever since I got out of college, and it's been an amazing experience gaining access to so many different paths my career can take. They actually pay me a fair wage too, so I can't complain much there.

My job has helped me learn to adapt to quickly changing situations, and it's helped improve my leadership skills as someone who frequently goes into a project as a guinea pig of sorts, then gets the rest of my team up to speed if we need more people on the project. I honestly can't believe how lucky I was to land this job fresh out of college, I can't imagine going anywhere else as long as things stay the way there are (that's a long shot, but yeah).

Last edited:

starmouse

All in service of some implacable "just cause".
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is said to be scared of its own shadow. It can often be found sitting in the rain.
I work in an office managing data. I hate it sometimes! People can be really rude on the phone and don't seem to understand that we're just following procedure and that what they want to happen, not happening, is not a matter of incompetence or lack of caring. They are insistently convinced that [insert complaint here] is some kind of mistake or incompetence on our part. They then take out their frustration on me.

I may have just received such a call.

Besides that draining aspect and the regular alternation between complete boredom and overworked stress, my coworkers are really nice and the perks aren't too bad.

I'm switching from full time to part time in a few months and I frankly can't wait. Sorry for the bitterness, but venting helps a little...

Minty Electronica

heeeeeeeyyyyyy, adora~ <3
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It's an azumarill. You caught an azumarril.
I am a real-eff book editor for an indie pub. So first off, everything you've heard about book publishing that isn't from Publishers Weekly or some actual industry publication is a dirty lie. I haven't touched unsolicited manuscripts (the sort sent in by authors without agents) in half a year. Our slush pile is months old. Almost all of our projects are pitched in-house and developed/written by a small stable of hired authors, if we don't do it ourselves (which is more frequent ngl). It's just how things are, lmao.

Most of my job does involve reading, proofreading, general glorified betaing, writing (often ghost-writing or revising the crap out of a manuscript), and a crapton of research, with occasional side forays into marketing (read: spamming book bloggers and awards) and product research/pitching. I accidentally wound up doing a lot of work in children's nonfiction by commandeering one of our children's series, and that chews up a lot of my time.

It's not bad work, but sometimes, projects are slow or tedious (hence ... why I come here from time to time, even though I'm in the office), and imposter syndrome is a real-ass thing. I stopped being hella elitist about Proper Grammar and shiz after I became an editor, largely because I learned half the rules are just strongly worded guidelines, and also, everything I was taught in high school/college about writing is bull. But it's also helped me filter out the stuff that matters in writing, especially because whenever you're looking for potential projects, you give less of a shit about minor flaws that can be edited in a few passes by the editorial team and more about whether or not there's something worth publishing in the first place. That's the upside. The downside is it legit killed my desire to write and publish fiction one day, and now I can pretty much only write longform fiction if it's for for my own exhausted ass. 🤷

Buuuuuut that's being an adult for you. At least I've written and published something, haha.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Howdy folks! I'm currently working as a TSS (Therapeutic Staff Support), which is someone who works one-on-one with kids with autism or emotional disturbances in the school, community, or home settings to help them manage their behavior. My agency is run through a private school for kids with severe disorders, so my clients often have very extreme behavioral challenges. Sooo I get beat up a lot lol. It's a really tough job sometimes, but I have patience like there's no tomorrow so I don't mind it much at all. Honestly, the hardest part is hearing some of the awful backstories these poor kids come with, especially the ones who have the ability to speak about said backstories. Anyway, it's not nearly as bad as my old job working as a veterinary assistant (I was getting minimum wage AND getting treated like shit by employers along with getting bitten and scratched all the time). So I'm happy with where I work, but it unfortunately doesn't pay enough to cover my student debt and allow me to live the life that I want to live.

So, I'm currently taking weekend classes to earn my Master's degree in Occupational Therapy! Only a little over one year left, thank the lord. I know I'm gonna love this job, but the work I have to do to get there is incredibly exhausting. My favorite part right now is fieldwork, where I actually get hands on experience once a week working with an OT. It's only a "level 1" fieldwork, so it's supposed to be mainly observation, but the OT I'm working with trusts me enough to run through treatment programs with patients, give deep tissue massages, and even document progress notes, which is really exciting! After the fall semester, I'll be on fieldwork full time for 6 months. It's going to be rough having no income for that long, but I've saved up over time and thankfully have a supportive boyfriend to help out. I honestly just can't wait to be done with tests and papers for a while!

Anyway, seems like we have quite a variety of different professions in here!!! Very cool thread :)

original nickname

Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
Ice, Cool
I'm a 5 year veteran of the hospitality industry. I've done it all, tended and backed bar, waited and bussed tables, and made so many coffees that I can attempt some not-half-bad latte art. I've worked at a variety of venues, most of them very busy, and almost all of them soul crushing. I learned to dread local sports fixtures and events that would mean an inevitable spike in customers, and what they say about this industry is you rarely remember the nice interactions but the bad ones stay with you a while. This is true.

Recently though, I bailed from a place I had been working for a couple of years (and constantly being passed over for promotion) to work at much, much smaller venue where the owner instantly took me on as assistant manager. It's the kind of place where we can barely fit 16 or so customers, but has a hardy crowd of regulars that have been frequenting it for decades. It seemed daunting at first, but they're all very lovely, and they've made me feel quite at home. I can actually use my real personality when working instead of throwing up a facade to keep from getting burned, and I love being in a place that actually has a sense of community, where both the customers and the staff actually like each other. My mental and physical health has vastly improved, and I can even take my vacation time during the height of summer season, which at other places would have been impossible.

I'm doing this alongside a degree in CompSci as well, so this will probably be my last job in the industry, until I begin to look for something field-related when I (hopefully) graduate.

Obelisk

D O G
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric
Pokédex Entry
Eccentric 'locker obsessed with Magikarp.
I'm an ADS Provisioner at a major telecommunications firm in my area. The job itself is processing orders for dedicated internet access from corporate/commerical customers, working with ISPs to get those orders delivered and then shipping out our routers and activating the order via a call (called a Turn-Up in the industry).

Now, it's one of the most ironic jobs I could have gotten because I'm a profoundly deaf individual who is now on a phone job. It's been interesting work, though! I've learned quite a bit about the ins and outs of different ISPs and how the industry works as a whole - did you know that there's over 35 different carriers available for commercial internet use? The most annoying thing in the job is when a turn-up call goes wrong for some reason. Generally it's a one or two hour call with a single minor issue to resolve, 15-30 minute call if everything is perfect. If the issue is more serious than a basic flaw in the order, oh boy. My longest single call was six and a half hours and we never identified what the problem was. :| (Later, it was found to be the router itself but that took us a month to find out.)

If anything, this job's got me inside the IT field so I'll be able to springboard off in a year or two to a better position.

Missy

i left my heart in alola
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Tough
Pokédex Entry
just missy now
Y'all are like real-ass adults with real-ass jobs. I just came here to share funny summer camp stories but now I feel a little out of my depth. I guess my defence is I'm working this job to mark down experience for when I apply for the education degree program, but I really do like what I do, which is being a camp counselor. Kids are hecks but I also love them a lot.

Had a cabin of 14 11-13 year olds this past week, girls, and they were amazing people. Two of them brought ukuleles and on the rainy day we jammed out to Disney tunes and Broadway tracks. I read them a fic called One Direction Hunger Games; it was a good time.

The boys counselors had it worse off. There was a nightmare cabin with this one kid who:
  1. wandered outside buck-naked a total of three times
  2. ran up and bit our camp director on the arm before running away
  3. ate rocks
  4. licked everything
  5. may or may not have pissed on his counselor's mattress
Yeah, boys' cabins are dens of pure chaos, younger boys especially. Last year, they got into a bug spray war, and I'm pretty sure they burned a hole in the atmosphere just above camp from all the aerosol. The cabin smelled like a chemical factory. It was like a nuclear bomb but for mosquitoes. Those that survived are gonna have little deformed larvae for generations to come.

Not that girls' cabins don't have their challenges. There are more kids with undiagnosed attention disorders than there are those with peanut allergies. Unfortunately, distractions (unlike tree nuts) are not banned from camp. I had a kid that wandered like a reverse weeping angel: the second I took my eyes off her she was GONE.

TrueZero2

Ninja! Comic! Best Match!
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
I had a kid that wandered like a reverse weeping angel: the second I took my eyes off her she was GONE.
Isn't that just a regular weeping angel?

I mainly work customer service in one form or another, but it's mostly voluntary work right now while I job hunt.

I have had plenty of temporary jobs though, so let's roll!

Used to work at ASDA on the checkouts over the Christmas period. For those of you not in the UK, it's the UK arm of Walmart. There were a few shifts that had unusual moments.

1) A woman buys 90 of the little hard foil containers of catfood in one sitting. We're encouraged to banter a little while we deal with customers, so I ask her how many cats she has. She says that she doesn't own any. She owns Ferrets and they like catfood. Rather than scan all of the tins individually I count up the amounts of each flavour and scan one for each, keying the amounts into the system.

2) A day later, I get a pair of guys buying 30 bags of flour and nothing else. I ask them what they need so much flour for, and they say 'Cake'. That was the entire answer.

3) The day after that, I get some folks buying alcohol for a Christmas party. About £400 worth of alcohol, and it's all individual bottles. That means they all have individual security tags, that I have to remove by hand. I get to work dealing with the sea of bottles on my checkout, while I get hold of one of the runners.

They head up the checkouts and provide help where needed. For example, grabbing a sealed DVD when a customer comes up with the display box, or if a till needs a new roll of receipt paper, they'll go grab you one. That sort of thing.

The runner stands near me with a carrier bag on hand for me to put all of the security tags in. I get a decent rhythm going, so while it took 10 minutes, it was purely due to the amount of bottles to work with. Eventually we get through the purchase and I ring up the total, a little over £400. They pay in cash. Cue me counting it out. Cue the runner counting it out (so we can both be sure that the amount is correct). Then the customer gets to take their purchase.

4) Closer to Christmas, I get a family that was doing their weekly shop, and they forgot to grab a jar of horseradish. When they notice, no one wants to be the one to go get it, and after a short back and forth, this family bursts into the biggest argument I've ever seen amongst themselves. I quickly point out that I can send a runner to go get a jar for them, and almost immediately the family snaps back to normal. It honestly felt like I was on a hidden camera show.

Mattman324

he's always watching you know
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
YUUSHA
Pokémon Type
Electric, Steel
Pokédex Entry
KITA KITA KITA
I do temp work inbetween classes that I am taking in the pursuit of a real fucking job. Let me tell you, physical labor in Florida in the summer is only made all the better by the relative lack of people in Florida who give a shit about the workers (ain’t a single damn union in the state).

Yuriakashu

Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/ They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
It consumes graphite and word processors. If it is standing still, something is wrong.
Hello!! Wow, lots of job variation here. I just finished grad school in the spring (MFA in Creative Writing) and am fortunate enough to have a hypothetical job with the same college in the fall. Hypothetical because they still haven't e-mailed me paperwork to fill out, even though everyone in the department's says I have the job. Paranoia's fun.

Anyway: I teach!! I'm an English Composition instructor, meaning I'm the person who teaches freshmen how to get their ideas on the page, format their papers, not plagiarize their sources, and so on. It can be a bit wearing, but I worked as a substitute teacher for local middle schools and high schools before grad school, and ohhhhhhh wow, I much prefer college. Even freshmen have to take responsibility for their actions. And despite the ups and downs, it's super rewarding whenever you see ideas in students' heads click or they get the opportunity to write on something they love.

Nimbostratus

Ambitious But Rubbish
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Flying, Normal
I've had a lot of different jobs, but right now I deliver pizza. I find it pretty enjoyable- it keeps me stimulated without demanding too much of me.

Grunty

legit facecam
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
I am, tragically, at the moment, unemployed. As a recent college grad it's exceedingly difficult to get your foot in the door and after graduation I've had only one phone interview as of yet. Here's hoping my luck changes sooner rather than later, and I'm very lucky indeed to be living with a support system until I can find work.

As for previous jobs though, I really do miss my old grounds crew job. It was manual labor and for-sure hard work but I found it very rewarding. The average day consisted of trash pickup, weed-whacking, lawn mowing, leaf-blowing, and a variety of other tasks like working with asphalt to fill potholes as well as fallen branch removal after storms and such. Pay was dick as a student worker, but damned if I didn't enjoy it. I basically was getting paid to just plug my earphones in and listen to music all day. Sure, it could get hot sometimes, but frankly I thrive in the heat so it was a perfect fit.

Alolan Floatzel

chronic wow-reactor
🎇Contributor
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Water, Cute
Pokédex Entry
[is baby]
im currently interning at two different music admin companies in nyc! one is an artist management and representation company - basically the middleman between musicians and any people they may need to supplement their careers such as booking agents, record labels, concert promoters, etc (although sometimes it gets more personal, like one of our artists i book doctor's appointments for) - and the other is a concert booking agency! both of these placements i've found really fun, especially the latter one since i've taken kind of a shine to the touring industry, and i hope to be working in something like either of these jobs long-term in the future!

Funen1

If you're alive, you can keep moving!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
While not the only type of job I have right now, I still consider myself to be "primarily" a scientific editor, or at least that's the job that's more representative of my skill set. I've been working with two different editing companies, one for over five years and another for a bit over one. Basically what I do is edit and proofread scientific papers written by non-native English speakers such that they'll look like they were written by a native speaker, which is important since these authors are trying to publish their works in English-language journals. I like to think I'm quite good at it despite not being "formally" trained in English (like with an English major in college or something), including being able to edit stuff independently of the content, and my natural attention to detail has helped with this too. The difficulty naturally varies from author to author, but it's still a field I've remained interested in even after some rough patches with difficult assignments.

The biggest problem is really the fact that my jobs with both companies are contract work, meaning I'm subject to how many submissions the companies get and whether they decide to give me any of it in the first place. When I started out, I was making a lot more than I am now, even though my first tax filing afterwards revealed it wasn't sustainable regardless. But the overall amount of stuff I've gotten has also been steadily declining for a few years, which has made me need to take on other work. For the longest time, however, various places I'd applied to, including me trying to venture into new fields, just would not get back to me, or if they did (which was rare in and of itself) they barely let me continue through the interviewing process. I think I can still count the number of phone interviews I've been offered on one hand. It was that ridiculous. Part of why I've barely worked on my storylocke over the past calendar year was because my horrendous job-hunt situation was weighing too much on my mind; I was just too frustrated with everything going on. And I don't think I'll really be out of this mess for a while despite there being some short-term improvements (see below), since I still need to keep applying to better jobs, talking with employment agencies, etc. until I get some sort of break I can build off of.

That said, I've hopefully accomplished a "first step" towards improving my financial situation, having recently gotten a job as a produce stocker at a supermarket. Funnily enough, I had technically applied for a cashiering job (I did have about 9 months' experience as one back in 2013-2014), but when they called me in for an interview they mentioned they needed produce stockers more than cashiers. So I kinda just rolled with it and they gave me the job. This might actually make me more money than both my editing jobs combined, depending on how much work I get from them, though probably only barely. I finished my training period recently, so I'm still getting into the swing of things in terms of a stream of income. But early on it seems interesting enough. My coworkers insist it won't require as much thinking as I get more experience lol, but obviously I'm not there yet. And there's still the matter of trying to get an even more secure job in the meantime. I still have my anxieties from that long period where I couldn't get anywhere with other job applications, but the hope is having any sort of success at all will help me fight those feelings better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)