• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Where are your favorite places to write?

Rhema

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
Be it a local cafe, in the great outdoors, at work, or in your bed. I wanna know which places get your creative juices flowing!

For me personally, I love going to coffee shops. I'm very particular about the noise level, though. Too quiet and I feel awkward and nervous, too loud and I can't focus. Bonus points for having yummy food and drinks right there for me to consume whilst writing.

Tookie

The Immoral Bard
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
This user does not exist. All impressions to the contrary are propaganda pieces and not to be trusted.
Trains and buses, when I'm on them, I find. I keep all my stuff in Google Docs and have them downloaded onto my phone ready to quietly crack on without distractions to kill the journey times. Only downside is my thumbs aren't so great for speed typing.

Otherwise it's when I'm sat in bed and I need to tire the brain out enough that it'll deign to consider actually letting me sleep, the fiend.

Rhema

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My shed! I have a shed I took over. Now that you've reminded me, actually, I'm gonna go there now and get some stuff done
Damn, I would love a whole shed just dedicated to writing. Maybe when I buy a house I'll build a she-shed.

Bug

My mind is racing but my feet just move too slow
Tech Team
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
I think my best places to write are while I am pacing on my phone, drinking, or at work. All of these are TERRIBLE options, but they work damn well. I think I require a bit of distraction to keep myself from over-editing.

Recently, classical music and jazz has also helped me focus and draw out the words, but my time to write for myself has been low.

pkmnMasterWheeler

Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Cute
Either in bed or, oddly enough, at work. I dunno why but most of anything I've written is between customers at work. Actually just when I'm out and about in general, but the most gets done at work V:

Fullmental

*Fódlan Winds intensifies*
Tech Team
🎇Contributor
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
That one building with no door for a hero to open.
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Rock, Clever
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon can sometimes be found meticulously editing and re-editing it's own content, never satisfied with the results.
I like to write outdoors, somewhere quiet. Bonus points for a shady spot near running water or a nearby forest that can mask any city/town noise in the distance.

That said, I don't exactly have such a place in a large city where I currently live. Everything's fully developed here and I'd have to drive a good 20-30 minutes out to find a quiet spot. Then there's the fact that 90% of the time it's 80+ with too much humidity to be comfortable. Also I'm right near two major airports, so noisy jets zooming by are also an issue.

So yeah, I do that maybe once a year.

I typically write at home in my living room where my "work" setup is. The idea is if I'm writing I consider it to be "work" and I want to treat it as such - as opposed to writing on my gaming rig which is where I usually play games or read reddit, the forums, etc.. One thing I've noticed is that I am extremely sensitive to sudden noises or excessive ambient chatter, so I could never write in, say, a café or a city park. Even at home I tend to grab my noise-cancelling headphones so the A/C doesn't bother me. I don't listen to music either - I just like the silence or some fake ambient noise.

Yuriakashu

Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/ They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
It consumes graphite and word processors. If it is standing still, something is wrong.
@Rainbow Robin , a writing shed sounds super cool!!

Echoing others here, but I both like and dislike writing at cafes. It's nice to get out of the house and away from the usual, but also, I sometimes get really self-conscious about what I'm writing in a public setting (no one's going to see, but also, what if somebody does?). I also like hearing my words after I've written them (because it needs to sound PRETTY, gosh darn it), and one can't really do that in a public setting. So, I usually just end up writing at home, either at my (super cluttered) desk, my (too comfy) papasan, or on my bed. Out of the three, bed's the most successful one. I can spread out my notes, get lots of pillows around me, and then ignore all of those pillows as I hunch my back over the laptop screen.

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The reason she guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that she wants them to hurry up and leave.
Trains and buses, when I'm on them, I find. I keep all my stuff in Google Docs and have them downloaded onto my phone ready to quietly crack on without distractions to kill the journey times. Only downside is my thumbs aren't so great for speed typing.

Otherwise it's when I'm sat in bed and I need to tire the brain out enough that it'll deign to consider actually letting me sleep, the fiend.
Saaaame, nowadays I'm way more focused writing on my phone when I'm commuting on the train. Much harder to gear up to write on my laptop which I really need to do right now but shhh... The internet is too distracting hehe

surfe

I am SHOPKEEP. I desire ALL RUBLES.
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
hi
In my room alone with the curtains shut, where nobody could possibly see what I'm writing.

Idk how you all manage to write in public places where people can just look at your screen : (

Bowser's Family Vacation

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Sometimes, I take notes for writing out in public, but all of my actual writing is always done in a private room: my home office, the room no one goes into in my college dorm, or, if I'm really desperate, my room. I don't like to write in the same place as I sleep.

MouseWithADinosaurTail

Luck will travel, but that's why I've got feet
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Though she often appears sweet and polite, the smell of wrong opinions may cause this pokemon to latch bite.
How the bloody hell to you people write on your phones? O.o Id go MAD!

I write at home! Lately ive been enjoying writing outside on the deck under the balcony. But anywhere where I can prop my feet up works great. Nowadays i p much only writr at home, I get way too distracted in cafes and libraries and whatnot. Libraries are more fun for drawing. :3

Feymark

Gay Rights!!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/Him/They
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Warriormale wishes he loved men as much as Feymark. Also, he wishes he could draw them like Feymark.
Saaaame, nowadays I'm way more focused writing on my phone when I'm commuting on the train. Much harder to gear up to write on my laptop which I really need to do right now but shhh... The internet is too distracting hehe
That's so funny, I thought I was weird for using my phone to write and keep all my scripts on my commutes to and from work but MAN, it really helps with creativity...

The internet IS very distracting and being cut off from it underground for 40 minutes is a super good point. It also keeps me awake and from falling asleep on the train.

cross_off

you chase the dragon but it follows you home
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he - him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
it was banished for its violence. it silently gazes upon the old world from the distortion world
phonewriting is power. really nice to do on bus rides and stuff when the alternative is just staring out the window, the only problem I've had with it is memo app starting to eat up space on my phone. one of those things you hate to see, but honestly I'll take that for all the draws it offers. plus I wind up doing it everywhere I can (usually when I'm bored during class or just waiting for code to run on my computer etc etc), and the lack of having to be somewhere to put words down is sick.

whenever I'm on my laptop...basement at home mostly, although anywhere in the house + at the library or various spots on campus work. I've even written stuff while at work once or twice xd. basement takes the cake though mostly because it's cozy, small odds of someone walking in, and it feels like my space which gives a subtle boost to the general creative energy. bop

Garnet

Awkward Gay
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He/She
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
Used to be at my old work I’d get in town an hour early because of the bus schedules in Maine being Bad, so I’d end up holing up at Starbucks with a mango dragonfruit refresher and working on stuff in the corner booth there where nobody could see me even when it was busy by Maine standards. Easily the most productive I’d been with my writing since working on the initial notes/draft of my Splatoon comic. Since I left that job, though, I’ve mostly just been writing either on the bus on my phone, jotting down notes and stuff, or in my room on my laptop. Have been significantly less productive with writing the last couple of months, but my art has improved, so hey. Ya win some, ya lose some :p

Funen1

If you're alive, you can keep moving!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
I've also recently gotten into a habit of writing at work while I'm waiting for my shift to start (usually no more than a half hour, but at least it's something). Kinda surprised me when I realized it was happening, but I guess the lack of outside distractions helps me out there. And of course I use my phone to do it; thank god for the Google Docs app lol. I can't write on buses, however, as I get dizzy reading anything, including on phones, when in a road vehicle (trains are better).

Minty Electronica

heeeeeeeyyyyyy, adora~ <3
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It's an azumarill. You caught an azumarril.
I'd hate to be cliche, but I'm with Garnet on the Starbucks bandwagon, lol. Or, well, cafes in general. While I can write at home, I just keep getting distracted, or it's just less interesting than, say, powering through yet another season of whatever I'm binging at the moment. A nice cafe keeps me focused because I know I have limited time there, plus the ambient noise and whatever I'm eating satisfies my need to mentally wander.

Oooof course, usually, whatever I write while sitting at a cafe is utter shite, so I edit at home.

satanicswirlix

Local King K. Rool Main
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Naughty
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
A Swirlix who came back from Hell. She was literally too angry to die.
In my quiet bedroom during the ungodly hours of the morning. The silence helps me focus more.

lostballoon

sleepytime tea connoisseur
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Fairy
I love to write outside!! There's a coffeeshop near my apartment with a nice patio, so when it's spring or fall I like to shack up there and grind out some chapters! Unfortunately, it's been 80%+ humidity for the past few months. Goodbyeeee productivity.

Rhema

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So many awesome replies in this thread! For some reason I stopped receiving notifications for them, so I’m catching up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)