• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Happy new forum! We decided this was a golden opportunity for us to feature a fresh new imported run!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Fan Thread What's your Favorite rom hacks?

Thread Description
A thread to talk about fan created pokemon games we really enjoyed.

marsroverII

A bot who likes to photoshop.
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Steel
Pokédex Entry
A robot sent to roam mars. They came from far away to share experiences with friendly people.
What's a pokemon hack you've seen that really interested you? do you like hacks that build and add on the base game? or perhaps ones that take place in entire new regions? what hacks have stuck in your minds as ones you feel did what you wish gamefreak would have done?

If i had to choose one personally, i'd say i really like pokemon glazed for all the new things it brings to the table: new region, new story, and plenty of pokemon variety. really felt like its own neat creation.

• Love
Reactions: Bug

Bug

Words Fail
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
OH MAN THIS IS MY THREAD!!
I will forever stan Snakewood. It is, from a craftsman perspective, a poorly made hack. But, as a genuine experience? It is next to none. You'll need a certain kind of patience to endure it, but what I'll think you'll find lying just beneath the surface of this hack is just a kid having fun, no fear for what they are writing, and putting a lot of themselves into the "plot" of the hack.

Now I wont say I wished Gamefreak had done it, because the special part of this hack is the fact that it is fan-made, and that someone devoted themselves to make it.

marsroverII

Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Steel
Pokédex Entry
A robot sent to roam mars. They came from far away to share experiences with friendly people.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
i had never tried snakewood, never seemed to click with me to download it. but i can always appreciate a fan putting in effort and devotion to make something in honor of the series and put it out there.

Jk Howling

The Bane of RP Sites
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Dark
Anything by Drayano tbh! He makes some kickass romhacks, with his latest installment of Renegade Platinum being an absolute masterpiece as far as enhancement romhacks go.

Seriously. Solid difficulty without being batshit crazy. Amazing and unexpected script changes, like the Galactic fights at the Pokemon Mansion or meeting the E4 members throughout your journey. Great buffs to weaker mons as always, making them not only more viable but also more interesting and fun to use. And a ton of variety for encounters, as always.

Not to mention a bunch of amazing features that I've never thought of being possible in enhancement romhacks. I'm talking things like a level/ev trainer who heals you after each battle, and the fact that each member of the E4 can have one of four different teams! I've never heard of even the idea of that for a romhack, but I love it.

I'm honestly pretty bummed that he's planned Renegade Platinum as his final romhack. He's got such a creative mind and amazing results with these projects. Part of me would love to see what he could do as far as making his own region and story, like what Snakewood and the likes does, or even a fangame like Insurgence or Uranium or Phoenix Rising..

I do also wonder and maybe hope a little that he might revisit his older hacks. Y'know, put some new life into them, maybe bring them up to par with his latest one in terms of features. Firered Omega especially, as I'm sure he's gotten a lot more experience and more's become possible since he finished that project.

Sorry this kinda became a ramble about Drayano! Some other romhacks I've enjoyed are Eternal X/Wilting Y, and also Photonic Sun/Prismatic Moon by the same person. They're difficulty hacks of X/Y and uS/uM respectfully. Pokemon Sweet was really fun and unique! Glazed, Prism, Flora Sky, Liquid Crystal.. all really good plays! Dark Rising is fun but also notoriously scary haha.

Ones I haven't tried yet but heard a lot about are Gaia, Clover, and Theta Emerald!

Raderph

A Radical Earthling
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
I'd recommend Der Erif as one of the most unique romhack ideas I've seen in a long time, although it has started to show its age at this point. But it has a unique idea, a solid curve, and some interesting reimaginings of some of the less interesting routes from Fire Red. Make sure you are good and prepared for the point of no return, though, because they are not kidding around. That area will mess you up if you aren't ready for it.

A similarly unique hack is the recent Crystal Clear, which does things to a Gen II game that I'm not sure anyone thought were possible: totally converting the game into an open-world game with a multitude of starter options and starter locations. The hack was taken down, though, to avoid DMCA, so getting it is kind of a hassle these days.

I'm surprised Vega hasn't come up yet, considering its reputation. Vega is one of the best new region/fakemon games, and despite its infamous difficulty curve is very enjoyable on the basis of all the new pokemon, moves, and evolutions of old pokemon. I understand Vega Minus exists to curb back the difficulty a bit, though I haven't played it so won't comment.

If you are a fan of Touhou, or even if you aren't, there exist a fair few Touhoumon romhacks that vary wildly in quality, from the ambitious if lacking World Link to the fairly solid ones developed by forum members. I haven't played a lot of them, though, as Touhou Puppet Dance Performance has kinda eclipsed them entirely in my eyes. It's unironically one of the best Pokemon games ever made, in my opinion.

marsroverII

Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Steel
Pokédex Entry
actually i'm doing a rivallocke with someone in crystal clear! very interesting concept, especially being able to do gyms in any order. i've seen problems arise with the fact wild grass doesn't scale and the tm's don't change depending how far in you are (like my rival getting earthquake after their first gym), but it's an ambitious project that has created very different and enjoyable experiences for us while still being the same game.

Bug

Words Fail
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
actually i'm doing a rivallocke with someone in crystal clear! very interesting concept, especially being able to do gyms in any order. i've seen problems arise with the fact wild grass doesn't scale and the tm's don't change depending how far in you are (like my rival getting earthquake after their first gym), but it's an ambitious project that has created very different and enjoyable experiences for us while still being the same game.
Then maybe you'll enjoy Roaming Red! It's open exploration, and allows you to start from ANY point, and scales appropriately. I actually have a run of it half-finished right now, and it's a doozy. Since it scales based on your own team levels, it is literally impossible to overgrind.

marsroverII

Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Steel
Pokédex Entry
that sounds like a very interesting one. will have to consider that sometime.

Z-nogyroP

oh i am just a bastard
Hacker
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
lizard??? lizard?????
i maintain my stance that pokemon gaia and pokemon kanto black are two of the best fire red hacks out there. gaia is a really well-put-together new region hack with a solid plot and some really beautiful tiles, and kanto black is just one of the best "kanto with a new dex" hacks. it adds a ton of content, everything is viable, and there are multiple difficulty modes so you can tailor the experience to your tastes.

Iola

typically has writer's block
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
She/they please :)
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This friendly ghost lurks around old haunts and sites of interest, wanting to say hi. (Profile pic came from here https://picrew.me/image_maker/95196)
For fangames: Reborn and Insurgence are decent in terms of story and have a lot of interesting premises, but what really makes them shine is how ambitious they are and the Pokemon/battling changes they make. Reborn has these terrains which advantage certain types (think a lot of things like Grassy Terrain but very complex and they fit the Gym Leaders who you have to fight against) and Insurgence has Delta Pokemon which are like Alolan Formes but... there's more of them and there are some amazing designs. Delta Budew has a little blanket and I just 😊

Memento

The Princess of Darkness
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
She is known to spend hours daydreaming about her stories.
Highly, highly recommend Rocket Rising to anyone who wants a Team Rocket experience that's like nothing they've played before. Does it have a few bugs? Yeah. But the creator put his heart into this hack to make it great, and he's currently fixing the bugs. Meanwhile, you can do all sorts of things in this hack, including not only stealing Pokémon, but splicing the ones you keep (my favorite part of the game, actually), making good or bad choices, and have a lot of fun sidequests.

Also, highly recommend Fire Red Advanced (in my opinion, the best FireRed hack out there) and Emerald Advanced (unfortunately not finished yet) by our very own @Z-nogyroP , who made an amazing hack that gives every Pokémon in the dex a chance to shine, an opportunity to be a core team member. Every one has their own niche which makes them special, and you can see the care she put into her hack.

Also, Solar Light and Lunar Dark, while I haven't played it all the way yet, looks really fun, with nothing but Fakemon not related to the Pokedex. Yep, they went all out with the Fakemon. It's also got a really easy level curve thus far, so long as you grind a bit.

Will send a special shoutout to Altair/Sirius/Vega (Minus)/Procyon/Deneb for being extremely fun (although Procyon and Deneb haven't been translated to English yet), all of Drayano's works, Der Erif, Emerald Trashlocke, and even Uranium.

Last edited:

War Anvil

oh? on god?
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Cool, Cute
Pokédex Entry
The programmer is having a nap. Hold out! Programmer!
Then maybe you'll enjoy Roaming Red! It's open exploration, and allows you to start from ANY point, and scales appropriately. I actually have a run of it half-finished right now, and it's a doozy. Since it scales based on your own team levels, it is literally impossible to overgrind.
On that note, FireRed Redux is pretty sweet. You can look around for it, but in the near future it'll be changed to a much improved version called FireRed Revisited.

Now in other news, what the everloving fuck happened to Tailes and Pokémon Jade...?

Bug

Words Fail
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
and Pokémon Jade...?
Do you mean like the Telefang translation that got called Pokemon Jade? Because that is the only one I can think of. Turns out, there is a whole line of games in that series.

War Anvil

oh? on god?
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Cool, Cute
Pokédex Entry
The programmer is having a nap. Hold out! Programmer!
Do you mean like the Telefang translation that got called Pokemon Jade? Because that is the only one I can think of. Turns out, there is a whole line of games in that series.
Nope. I meant that FireRed hack with a few type changes and several Vega/Procyon/Deneb fakemon.

Seems Tailes disappeared from the face of the earth and took that hack with him.

poopawman

High-end Procrastinator
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Used to be frequent, but has matured into a lazy son of a--
As everybody says Drayano hacks, my personal favorite is Pokémon Prism by Koolboyman. I originally found this hack back in 2011 when it was a 4-gym beta and I loved all the new mechanics added such as new types (before fairy godparents existed) that balanced the entire dex, added future necessities such as futuremons, a physical/special split, and even some mystery dungeon action, all in gen 2. This hack was the hack that initially brought me back into Pokémon after dropping the franchise in 2004, when gen 3 abandoned the Game Boy Color, when my friend (allegedly) stole Pokémon Crystal another friend gifted to me, the anime was moved to cable, and I gave my cousin all of my trading cards from Base Set 2 to Neo Genesis (regretting that now). I kept up with the hack development through the years and played the demo (which is archived on the old site in Completed Adventures) back in 2015. And then in 2016, it was announced that under a renovation using Crystal as its base, the complete version would be released on Christmas after the Twitch Plays Pokémon run of it. Alas, because of Pokémon Sun and Moon, the publicity caught the eye of Nintendo, and they sent a cease and desist to Koolboyman and all of the staff working on this game. The file still exists in 4chan somewhere and a smaller team came in and polished all the bugs from the twitch build in patches. Nowadays, the hack as it is has grown bigger: it now includes the Fairy type in place of another type, abilities have been added as well as natures and characteristics, brand new demade music, and there is even a more robust customization than the vanilla games, plus more. There aren't that many hacks that utilize the game boy era, but this is the best one. Note: you might have to play Brown version (a hack of Red) to get some idea of Prism lore, but it is entirely optional.

As for a minor slice of life hack, Crystal Clear is a masterpiece. New music that can be selected from nearly all generations (/some not from Pokémon), a built in soft reset system for shiny hunting, which has been increased x4, your Pokémon being able to follow you (and can be chosen from any of the 6 slots instead of just the top), and best of all, the entire game is open world. You're free to tackle any gym in any order since HMs are no longer badge-locked and trainers scale to your levels with gym leaders having an appropriate team depending on what stage you're fighting them. After defeating a gym leader and gain more badges, you can rematch them anytime by number of badges and each level has a different team appropriate to that level. Also, I believe certain areas have been restored, but don't take my word for it. Again, this is another hack you have to search for because the creator in fear of nintendo shutting it down from the amount of publicity gained has mostly removed it from his site.

But Poopawman, I don't like Crystal! Is there a hack that uses Fire Red or Emerald as a base? (Damn, so much for liquid crystal, the long lost remake to hg/ss) OK, for you gen three-ers, I have two: For lovers of the anime, there is Ash Gray, which closely follow the events of the original series and the Orange Islands, and for the edgelords that read the manga, Red Adventures follow the manga plot but also add minor filler that add color to a fledged-out story. I don't know how far the reboot hack is up to now, but the original Adventures hack go up to the Orange Islands as well. As for Ash Gray, last I played, I remember a bug that needed walk through walls to advance the story because a gate caused the game to crash.

There, 4 (5 if you want to check out Liquid Crystal) recommendations for good hacks that are not Drayano.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Your Majesty
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Also a major Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Pokemon Insurgence isn't a romhack, but it's my current favorite fangame. The darker story can get overplayed at times, and I've heard complaints about some of the dialogue being ham-fisted, but the plot kept me at the edge of my seat wanting to progress further to find out just what would happen next. In addition, there's a large number of Delta Species and new Mega Evolutions scattered through the game, in addition to a few armored forms of Pokemon, although there aren't nearly enough armored Pokemon to qualify as a back-of-the-box feature (I counted like five, and the one armored form I used wasn't even very good).

One word of warning: this game is HARD, and it has a LOT of cutscenes. More than once I've been stuck behind a gym or evil team battle that kept wiping me, and each and every time I challenged that powerful foe, I had to watch a long, unskippable cutscene first. If you didn't like Alola's approach to storytelling, this is probably a game you should skip. Also, if you are soft and squishy like me, you might want to play this game on Easy mode -- it has three difficulty settings, as well as a large number of available 'challenge runs' to look at (who asked for a PP challenge, anyway?)

Also, do NOT, for the love of humanity, enter the magma area without a team that's 1. at appropriate levels for that point in the game and 2. good against Fire and Ground types. Also, stock up on potions and stuff before entering, because the game throws you into an area where you can NOT switch your team, you can NOT buy items, and your only means of grinding is a finite number of grunts before taking on the Big Bad, who of course is locked behind... another long cutscene. At least there's a Chansey to heal you -- this game isn't THAT cruel.

That being said, my next fangame to play will be Pokemon Infinite Fusion, which I'm saving for a blind randomized nuzlocke because plot reasons, but I've been watching Patterrz play it, and it looks pretty good. Sidequests, a wide variety of fusions, and a greatly expanded and improved Kanto map, at least from what I've seen (he's currently in Cerulean). So that's one to watch.

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Steel
On the topic of vega i feel like the sequels procyon and deneb are going to be amazing once they get finished originally i thought the games were stopped in 2012 but when i heard that the team was working on it in 2015 i became hyped to play it again and then they released the 6 gym beta in late 2017 and i tried it and it didn't disappoint and now i'm waiting for the final beta so that Dr.Akimbo can attempt to translate it and play it probably this time.

When it comes to other Fakemon romhacks and fangames i stumpled upon clover in 2018 which i thought was hilarious i heard the clover makers are releasing their final update on the game so that it's completed and solar light and lunar dark which is a fakemon fangame which i thought was very good and it's actually completed and quite fun i believe i knew about clover thanks to hoodlumcallum's walkthrough on it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)