• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke General What are the luckiest moments you've had in your nuzlockes?

Thread Description
When RNG blesses you

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
Any moments that leave you sighing with relief, whether it's surviving a crit on 1 hp or making it through a cave without running into a single zubat. What are some times where you feel blessed by some deity up there?

For me it's in my Sun Nuzlocke. I was training a new team member who's a little slow (so we can't outrun anything), and we ran into a Alolan Rattata who knows pursuit and halves my health with that attack. So if I switch out, the damage would double. I healed up... and it called an ally.

At that point I pretty much thought I was screwed. Two Rattatas using pursuit on my injured and underleveled mon = absolute death. So the options of staying in and switching are equally bad, I chose to take the risk and switch out. And neither of them used pursuit that turn! They both used Quick Attack! My stater took that like it's nothing and wiped both the Rattatas out and it was such a close call. Whew.

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
Getting two shinies during grinding in my Omega Ruby nuzlocke (Shiny Nincada then Shiny Geodude). That's my luckiest moments in my Nuzlocke

pinkshellos

Black Lives Matter !!
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 23, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Flying
Pokédex Entry
A timid Pokémon typically found in groups. The only thing that motivates her more than companionship is food.
The optional Route 22 rival battle in my Firered run, my Rattata got a crit and took out the rival’s Charmander before things could get ugly. Otherwise, the Charmander would’ve out-damaged her, my Bulbasaur would not have stood a chance, and I would’ve wiped before I even got my 1st badge.

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
In my Sword nuzlocke, I accidentally picked a fight with a "crazy strong" trainer in the Wild Area that had level 30 starters, and I had next to nothing to counter them with. If I hadn't had Neutralizing Gas Koffing and it hadn't been sandstorming, I would have wiped right there. As it was, I kept spamming Super Potions on my Koffing while the sandstorm whittled away at Drizzile, praying to God that I wouldn't get critted. That prayer was answered, and I escaped from that battle with the same number of Pokemon I entered with.

Without Neutralizing Gas, Torrent would have finished me.

I... am somewhat nervous about continuing the Sword nuzlocke.

mondograss

Bard of Life
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pokémon Type
Dark, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is infamously irritable, but it comes down from its rage quickly. It is quite loyal to kind, patient Trainers.
This is a... massive spoiler for my storylocke, but it's the one moment I remember the best from any Nuzlocke I've ever done. It's sort of a blend of lucky and unlucky, but I tend to remember my unlucky moments more than my lucky moments.
Down to Iris' last Pokemon, her Archeops. Chandelure is the only Pokemon on my team that still has enough HP to survive an attack from it.
Chandelure survives a Rock Slide, doesn't flinch, (70%) and uses Shadow Ball, bringing Archeops down to exactly 1/8 of its HP thanks to EV training.
Archeops decides not to risk Rock Slide missing and goes for Acrobatics to finish Chandelure.
Chandelure has Flame Body. (50%) Flame Body activates on Chandelure's death. (30%)
Archeops faints to burn damage before it can kill anybody else.
The chance of that happening was 10.5%, not counting the damage roll on Shadow Ball, or any randomness that may have been involved in the AI using Acrobatics over Rock Slide.

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!!
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
My White 2 Run has a lot of them, but this one has to be the luckiest moment on the journey.

Making it out of the fifth Gym Battle was a complete miracle: The Excadrill already murdered three of my Team members; and Sebastian the Servine was the only remaining member without a Type weakness to any of the opponents moves, and my last hope to defeat the Ground Type Gym.

A lot of Items, spamming Leaf Tornados like crazy, and enduring every single attack; that´s how Sebastian barely managed to score the win.
If anything went wrong back then, I would´ve lost the Challenge completely.

Dschubba

Has forgotten she's a diurnal creature.
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
All I can say without going full on run spoilers...well, I'm glad I allowed myself to use Refresh as I pleased. Due to some beautiful RNG consistency, one mon in particular ended up being pretty much a dodge tank with how often I got the little evade notification. Least to say, that'll be fun as hell to draw out one day.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Not wanting to go too far into spoiler territory, but everything Sindri in my White 2 storylocke did was amazing. He saved me from wiping three times. Don't sleep on Watchog, y'all. I'm so excited to write out those moments! ^^

SimplyUnknown

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
This was back before we moved to Tapatalk. I was nuzlocking Storm Silver and I was battling Chuck at the time. I was battling his Poliwrath with my Glaceon who was asleep and holding a Chople berry to prevent Focus Punch. She'd been asleep for 4 turns and Poliwrath was in the very low red because of a Leech Seed I used the first turn. I thought that my Glaceon would wake up and I could use Ice Shard to KO, but she didn't. Surf hit and she survived with 1 HP before Leech Seed killed it. I had never been so terrified in my life.

Also in that same run, I was battling Giovanni and using my starter against his Nidoqueen. He was in the low red and I used Flame Wheel to KO her, and he was poisoned by Poison Point. He survived with 2 HP, but before the poison kicked in, he had leveled up. And had gained 3 HP. If I hadn't gotten that level right then, I would have lost my starter.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
There is a Trumbeak in my Moon run that has twice survived a harrowing encounter with only a single sliver of HP. One of which was a Leer/Pursuit Gumshoos that had already killed one of my other Pokemon.

These weren't affection bonuses, mind you. They were just straight-out clutch hijinks for no clear reason.

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is a Trumbeak in my Moon run that has twice survived a harrowing encounter with only a single sliver of HP. One of which was a Leer/Pursuit Gumshoos that had already killed one of my other Pokemon.
Leer + Pursuit is deadly. I fought Ilima's Gumshoos who used Z-Leer on my Magnemite, and the next pursuit effectively brought him to yellow. If I switched right after the Leer, Magnemite would have died. Still a miracle it didn't spam Pursuit.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
I know, right? I've lost two Pokemon in that very nuzlocke to Leer+Pursuit on the Yungoos line. The early game was harrowing, to say the least.

...honestly, a part of me is afraid to continue the nuzlocke... but I must press on, because I have story plans. BIG story plans.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
I'm in the middle of a Platinum Randomizer and tl;dw I have a lot of Pokemon I can't use because of my rules. Route 211 Celestic Side, which I count as a separate area, only had one encounter that I could get. A 1% Drifblim. Not wanting to waste time searching for it, I wrote the area off without even going there. I go back through on my way to Snowpoint and cut through the grass. The very first encounter?

1% Drifblim.

There was also the time I got two Shinies in two days in an Omega Ruby Wedlocke (A Wurmple on Route 101 and an Abra in Granite Cave that I actually caught). I just wish I'd managed to beat it.

NekoSuave

TFW you lose someone you love to a crit.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
One day, when I continued with my Gold Nuzlocke where I left off, I was heading back to Goldenrod City when I ran into a Lv. 13 Rattata. I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize my lead was a Lv. 5 Zubat until I failed to escape. That rat missed with Hyper Fang, I swapped Zubat with someone else, and I ran. There's no way that little bat would've survived otherwise, so I'm grateful that RNGesus smiled upon me at that moment.

Other than that, there was that one time I ran into a Shiny Purrloin while training for the first gym in my Black Nuzlocke. That cat made me feel so much better. Sand Attack and Growl are godsends against Work Up spammers like the Striaton Trio.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Two that come to mind: one was finding two shinies in a very old Diamond run, and the other was something my Electrode did against Juan's Kingdra in Emerald.
It was at +6 from Double Team spam, and neither of us were really damaging the other much. So just for shits and giggles, I go for Rollout...and he manages four consecutive hits, critting the last one to take it out.
Someone later told me the odds of that were about 1 in 2,000.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
I can't even remember most of them, but there's been a lot of 1HP survivals.

I also tried to switch Meganium into Blue's Rhydon in Soul Silver, since surely it's going to use Earthquake against my Ampharos, right? Uses fucking Stone Edge, which misses. Megahorn would have been worse, but a crit Stone Edge would have most likely killed my starter.

I've also got a weirdly high amount of shinies in my time, but unfortunately never taken one to the end yet. I also got a Walrein which had high HP IVs and I'm pretty sure max Atk/Def/SpAtk/SpDef, with only speed being shit, yet he somehow still outsped both of Drake's Flygon.

PageEmperor

Currently busy grinding in my nuzruns and studying
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
I’ve been having amazing luck rolling female starters as of late. 2 out of the 3 starters I got in Fire Red Advanced turned out to be female, as did my one in Shield and one of the ones I got in Fire Red Omega.

"Absolutely Certain"

without a doubt (MD)
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
no pronouns
Pokémon Type
Steel, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Likes to make jokes. Whether or not this Pokemon's jokes are funny, the jokes are not funny.
am i allowed to talk about my shinies-only renegade platinum run or is that just rubbing it in

there are a few times where SRing or shiny hunting took less than 50 SRs/encounters, which is really nice. i also have a handful of random encounter shinies that i wasn't actively hunting, which is also cool. i attribute it to the lessened shiny rate (1/512) but still, it's good and fun

only marginally related to that renegade run, sometimes i'm enough of a stupid shit to put my team members in Very Bad Situations, but they somehow survive it well enough. something that immediately comes to mind is an older vanilla diamond nuzlocke i did where i sent out my shiny kricketune against a galactic admin's kadabra (this was like, when the azelf lake got blown up). psychic got him to 3 HP, but he was able to survive to enact a killing x-scissor. Most Stressful Day Of My Life!

i have a handful of nuzlocke stories of either pokemon surviving near death or encountering shiny pokemon so at a certain point it's like "eh, just one of those days," but the kricketune one haunts me the most. cello i'm so sorry. you are such a trooper. that is why i brought you to the elite four

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)