• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

What’s the Pokémon that always dies on you

PageEmperor

Currently busy grinding in my nuzruns and studying
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
Both of my gen8 runs, the Rookidee fucking dies. One while catching someone, the other because I wasn't paying attention to the level of a wild mon. The game just doesn't want me to train a Corviknight.

pinkshellos

Black Lives Matter !!
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 23, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Flying
Pokédex Entry
A timid Pokémon typically found in groups. The only thing that motivates her more than companionship is food.
I haven't done enough runs to say this always happens to me, but like a LOT of other runs of various games I've seen, Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot. They're fairly solid mons, I just haven't seen many people successfully take one all the way to the end, including me.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Psyduck tends to die a lot. I seem to be getting it a lot lately, and it just isn't very good. Golduck is pretty decent, but I've only got one alive once and half the battle is the fairly late level 33 evolution. My most recent Golduck was in White 2 a while back, and he was in the half of the team that died. Only Gen 5 mons survived that run, like Iris was purging two foreigners after Marshal killed my Drifblim.

I've also lost both Tyrunt and Tyrantrum, in really stupid situations, but took Aurorus to the end TWICE. Albeit the second time was in Ultra Moon where he was only really on the team for the Elite Four, but he still carried his weight and survived. The other was an X Wedlocke, paired with a fucking Vivillon and I've spoken about this a lot before since they outlived way "better" Pokemon.

Plus there's the Makuhita and Poochyena lines to go with Electrike's, in those "really commonly taken to the end in Hoenn, but I always get them killed" kind of way. For some reason, Zigzagoon is the only early game Hoenn mon I typically have much luck with. Don't say Shroomish either, because I never fucking get it.

I may also be the only person to ever get Maractus in three runs, and the first two died. The last one survived, and that was with the E4 being a slaughterfest where I had to basically rebuild a third of my team with Zekrom and a last minute Heatmor, and Ghetsis killing my Klinklang because I missed at a crucial moment.

sunburstblue

blue stars burn brighter
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Well, her Pokédex No. is #274, which is Nuzleaf. Could anything be more hilariously fitting for this forum?
I've lost a lot of Purrloin/Liepards. They either die straight away as Purrloin, or (if I get them to Liepard) they last until the 6th or 7th gym before things go wrong. I love 'em but they're just so fragile.

It goes without saying that my death count for early-game mons is higher than some rarer late game mons, but I truly have AWFUL luck with some mid/late game pokemon. I have never been able to get a Trapinch all the way to a Flygon, no matter how hard I try.

PageEmperor

Currently busy grinding in my nuzruns and studying
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
Strangely enough I feel as if everytime I announce something as a mon that's constantly died on me I will have a case where the opposite happens. At first I thought the Geodude line constantly died on my watch, but then there were 2 cases of me taking a Golem to the end with no signs of them ever dying and I have a 3rd one on the way to the league too. I also thought Watchog constantly died on me and that ended up as the first 2 stage route 1 creature to be on my HOF teams.

I also recall back 3 years ago I did the then recent Red 3DS VC run and got a Mankey everytime it was available, ALL DIED, so I guess that counts for like 3 or 4 deaths of the same species in just 1 run...

Twi

important wizard
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
Any! (but mainly they/them and he/him, if you need specifics)
Pokémon Type
Psychic, ???
Starters. Always, always, always starters.
Chikorita in Heartgold? Made it to Bayleaf and died. Oshawatt in White 2? Died when I stupidly decided to do the optional Ingo/Emmett fight in Nimbasa. Rowlet in Ultra Sun? Made it pretty far, but died in, I think, the second Guzma fight. (That run is still kicking my ass, by the way. That game is surprisingly merciless sometimes. The Guzma fights are kind of insane if you don't have a good team for them.)

As for specific Pokemon, two weird examples are Slowpoke and Machop. I've tried both of them several times, and they always seem to die before they can really get going.

Although, really the most common thing to die is anything I'm excited to use.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Gyarados and the Watchog line seem to be the worst for me. I've used four of both, and only one Gyarados lived to the end, which hurts me personally because it's a favorite of mine. The really sad part is, it isn't the 4x Electric weakness that gets them killed.
As for Watchog...the only one who didn't die got boxed after Elesa because I also had a Herdier. One Patrat didn't even make it out of Route 2, and the other two both died after Skyla...

Ionbird

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
Early birds in general. With the exception of a Fearow in my Blue run I always seem to lose an early bird in almost all my runs.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
I always lose Noctowl. Even in VC Crystal recently, my only death was to Whitney. It was Noctowl, because of course it was.

I've also lost Sirfetch'd and Chandelure twice, both extremely late into the game. Then there's Primarina. In Sun, it died to Hau on Mount Lanakila, in other words, the last battle before the Elite Four. In Ultra Moon, it died to the double battle in Mount Lanakila, in other words, the last battle before the Elite Four.

I don't have much luck with Unova starters either, unless it's Samurott which has lived three for three, even being the only survivor in a run I completed today.

Shruikan

Bookwyrm
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 10, 2020
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon appears shy and quiet, but bring up a subject that interests them and they can speak for hours nonstop.
Pikipek. In two of my sun Nuzlocke attempts my Pikipek died, and both times it was at the Pokemon School. On the third attempt it lasted a bit longer, with my Trumbeak dying at the fire totem battle. Maybe I shouldn't have named them all after a fictional character who dies in a school fire.

Also despite it being a personal favourite of mine, I have terrible luck with keeping Electrikes alive. They always seem to die on the same route I catch them. ;_;

Alba Corbina

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
I was doing a Wonderlocke once where every Grass type I had died almost as soon as I got them.

Last edited:

Rhema

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
I do a lot of randomized ROM runs, and I'm always SO excited to find a lil' Azurill, only to have it immediately die because it's weak AF.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Whismur, Loudred, and Exploud. Literally every single one that I have caught and even briefly used has died. I've had others like that, but unlike this line there have been exceptions to the rule (Notably the Tepig line).

Kirilish

Nuzlocke Heaven, VO Hell
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 12, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is known for its soft, captivating voice; however, those who look upon its punk-like exterior are never allowed to hear it ever again.
Electric types. Just.....I can never have one in my party for more than two or three gyms. Elektrike? Got her to a Manectric before she was bodied on Galar Route 8. Shinx? Caught on route 202, killed in Eterna Forest. Toxel? I boxed him because he was baby and I didn't want to train him, but after Circhester...god forbid, that poor thing almost made it to the Champion Cup. Lost him in Hammerlocke. Haha. Locke.

bacongun

Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 18, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
they
Pokémon Type
Normal, ???
Pokédex Entry
*unintelligible*
i have a very hard time keeping my starters alive 😔

OofGuy

Ilex Forest Resident
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 12, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying
Pokédex Entry
This user is often rash and impatient, but always tries to show signs of kindness.
Combusken, that Pokémon just never seems to live long enough! Sigh....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)