• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

What’s the Pokémon that always dies on you

Duke_Maniac

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Psychic
I haven’t Nuzlocke’s enough to get a definitive answer but Probably Togetic
Thing always dies around the 4th gym just when I need it

CasualGameFreak

Discord Resident Extraordinaire
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Grass
Pokédex Entry
Despite being a Grass-type, Casual is a flaming lesbian. Fire and Grass don't usually mix, but somehow it works out here.
In my completed Nuzlockes I am 0 for 3 with Bug types. Butterfree, Nincada, and Leavanny were all used and all three of them died.

Rattata is another one that always dies on me. It's part of why I hate the line so much.

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
Pidgeotto. Not Pidgey or Pidgeot; just Pidgeotto. I've done a lot of Johto runs, and I almost always lose my bird in the Radio Tower. Even in Kanto they aren't safe. I ran through every game in the first two generations (besides Green) and I didn't finish a run with the Pidgey line until Crystal.

mondograss

Bard of Life
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pokémon Type
Dark, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is infamously irritable, but it comes down from its rage quickly. It is quite loyal to kind, patient Trainers.
My Staraptor always finds a way to die before my Luxray. Also, bad track record with Chandelure. I always overestimate its speed or defense at some point. I never send it into combat until it's fully evolved, though, so they always die Chandelure.

Elfin Song

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
she/her or he/him
Fire-types. Just ... fire-types. *vague hand motions* Or, actually, fire-types that don't serve as my actual starter. My X run and Gold run had a delphox and typhlosion, respectively, that made it all the way through their respective games, but every other fire-type I've ever tried to use totally died within a few levels. Usually while I was grinding them for their first gym battles, lmao.

SimplyUnknown

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
Psyduck. I've only made it through one nuzlocke where my Psyduck didn't die on me. Out of all the nuzlockes I've done in my life. I don't know why, but I just can't keep them alive.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Well I'm a notorious pokemon killer (as my graveyard section will tell you) but a few that come to mind.

Mankey. I don't know why, very rarely I manage to keep this guy alive until the late game.
Whismur. A bit like Mankey, one of these early game mons you get in many of your Nuzlockes, yet for some reason I can't get to the end. Finally broke the curse on my Omega Ruby run where I got my Exploud all the way to the E4... only to lose it to Drake's Salamance.
Geodude. This might be a bad example as the reason I lose this mon so much, is because I tend to use it a lot. Still, I can pile up a nice tower of pebbles from all my dead Geodudes.
Starters. Yep, I kill them, I'm not proud of that. It doesn't always happen to me, but it is the exception to the rule when I manage to get my starter all the way till the end.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Electrike and Manectric. They usually die early on, except for my most recent run, where my Mega-Manectric got crit through Intimidate by Mega-Gross right at the very end. Because god forbid I don't get haxed these days, right?

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I am not good at keeping Spearow alive.

celebrandas

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 3, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Ice, Steel
I have a tendency to lose most of my early game pokemon. A few specifics are down below, but they can usually be swapped out for their regional counterparts.

Rattata: I think this one really speaks for itself. High speed, decent attack, but frail defenses. I usually lose them to lucky crits or just bad judgement.
Caterpie: Poor little guy is just too frail and slow in most of my runs. I usually lose him to a hit that I think he can take.
Starters: This one really depends on the region. Some regions, I know the starters really well and can generally keep them alive. Others (and hacks that change the starters), I don't know as well.

My current, blind, undocumented run of Rocket Strike has actually had all of these lost in one battle. I lost Raidramon (my Blitzle starter), Stereotype (Rattata), and OwO (Caterpie), all in one fight because I underestimated the level spikes.

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?
I've gotten close a couple times, but I've never quite been able to get a Liepard all the way through a Unova game.

Neotornado

Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
Lillipup's line. I've legit had more success with patrat's line than I do with lillipup's. Most of the time they get the worst nature rolls possible (always Defense/SDefense reducing, with exactly one exception), and the one time I got a good natured one, I had to sac it so I wouldn't get wiped by totem araquanid.

RevenantArcan

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Psychic
I am a scourge on the Budew line's population.

I've used them in my first Plat run way back in the day, then in four of my more runs (White 2, Platinum, Omega Ruby, and Diamond) and only one of them survived. Their deaths were all dumb, avoidable mistakes too. I was so happy when the Diamond one finally made it to the end.

Duke_Maniac

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am a scourge on the Budew line's population.

I've used them in my first Plat run way back in the day, then in four of my more runs (White 2, Platinum, Omega Ruby, and Diamond) and only one of them survived. Their deaths were all dumb, avoidable mistakes too. I was so happy when the Diamond one finally made it to the end.
I think the bigger question is who plays Diamond

RevenantArcan

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Psychic
I think the bigger question is who plays Diamond
The general idea was that it was part of a sequel-ish series where some regions were repeated from my first saga with some differences, preferably an alternate game. Since I'd already done Platinum for the first saga, Diamond was chosen for the "alternate" Sinnoh run.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Remember when I said that I am not good at keeping Spearow alive? Well, I'm even worse with Diglett.

Snow Peregrine 0

Sinnohoan Talonflame (Talonfrost? Talonfreeze?)
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 19, 2019
Deep beneath the cover of another perfect wonder
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Ice
Pokédex Entry
An ice-type subspecies of Talonflame that is found in Sinnoh. It is socially awkward as all hell.
The Fennekin line.

My first Nuzlocke (X), in which I cheated a lot: Wildfire the Braixen. Even though I had a two lives per area rule.

Another X attempt: Teodor the Delphox died in a brutal massacre against a trainer while trying to grind for Victory Road. I promptly gave up.

Y: Fighting Diantha. My plan was to have Radiant the Delphox set up with Calm Mind to withstand Gourgeist's Ghost attacks, then use Flamethrower, and then Shadow Ball on GardevoirI didn't realize Gourgeist's ghost moves were physical...

I'll get a Delphox to the end one day, dammit!

I seem to be bad with starters in general. A Samurott, two Blastoise, an Ivysaur, a Tepig, two Snivy, a Froakie, a Popplio, a Piplup...

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Growlithe. I love this little Fire puppy so much but for some damn reason I can't keep it alive... I usually never get it as my encounter when I want it so badly, and when I finally do I tend to kill them before they even spend more than a few hours on my team. It's not that fragile so I really have no excuse and no idea why it happens every time.

Dschubba

Has forgotten she's a diurnal creature.
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
In any Unova run I ever attempted, I just had the worst luck with Purrloin. It's like every time I want to give that line a chance, it's the horrors of early game Normal STAB that just murder the kitten before it can even evolve. Cheren's gym being the biggest offender of that.

Though I do badly with most very "glassy" mons in general. Reason Nuzlockes really gave me some appreciation for mons with a sold defense...and the beauty of toxistalling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)