• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

[VIDEO] An Idiot's Guide to Unova: Bumbling through Random White - Episode 14!

So, at some point I realized that one way I was de-stressing from writing my Storylocke, was by doing an unrelated Nuzlocke that I was just playing for fun.

After watching through PerishSong's Yellow Nuzlocke (which you can find here and totally should be watching right now), it was brought to my attention that despite having started several Let's Plays in the past, I hadn't done -anything- in recent memory.

So I figured - what the hell? Why not record a Nuzlocke run myself? But standard runs just don't do it for me, so we have ourselves a Randomized White run!
  • 1. One Pokemon Per Route
  • 2. Faint = Death. Perma-box for record keeping purposes.
  • 3. No Items in Battle!
And without further ado, here are the Episodes!

K

Kodart

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As the one randomizer said to the other randomizer: you are one lucky son of a suicune. Dratini AND sigilyph is pretty good going! Plus the rival/swimmer swapsie has some pretty funny mental images going, heheh. And to save on any spoilers, wiki says dubious disc is used to evolve porygon 2 to porygon z and is a random giveaway from an npc later in the game, so probs not that much reason to hold onto it. Thanks for the video and good luck. You may need it~

K

Kodart

Yeah - the wife watched my video and told me that it's used to evolve P2 to PZ, but it has to be held when trading, so I'm SOL. I'll probably sell it to be honest.

While I understand how lucky I am with Phoebe - I really have no idea about Unownhead. I'm just...I've never had a Sigilyph. I dunno what it is or what it does, so this is going to be quite the experiment. I'll probably have another episode out soon, since I -just- released chapter 10 of Untold Legend not that long ago.

D

Degree

I like it Aaron!

nice team this far!
I'm in.

D

Degree

Hey guys, Episode 2 is rendering right now! Episode 3 won't be far behind it either, so be on the lookout over the next couple of days!

BritishAirSnails

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pokémon Type
Grass, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Beware the BritishAirSnail. They come from the sky and leave their slime EVERYWHERE
This is pretty awesome so far! I love randomized runs because you really don't know what you're going to get. You really have gotten lucky on your catches. If you've never raised a Sigilyph before you're in for a treat. They can be just monsters with that high sp.atk stat. I'm not sure how it'll go with the randomized moves, but if you get a good sp.atk Psychic or Flying move, Unownhead will easily become your MVP.

I also freaked when Rita almost went down >.> That was crazy close. Lets hope the rest of your journey goes well!

E

ErynCerise

Nice start so far! Would've liked to see some sidebars, but considering you're doing this as a way to unwind from other stuff, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's all cool. ;) Commentary is nice and easy to listen to, and the randomization looks interesting. I've done random runs before, but not with randomized movesets, so it should be fun to see what kind of moves you run up against. Heck, it already is!

Also, just wondering: is episode 1 supposed to be unlisted? Because that's what its privacy status is set to, while episode 2 is public. :o

EDIT: Also going to add to what everyone else said about Sigilyphs. I love them, both for their Sp.A and cool ability, but also just the design work. Not a kind of look you see very often in Pokemon. Maybe the Natu line is the only other one I can think of that looks anything like this. And Unown, of course, lol. hurrdurr Unfortunately, it looks like yours didn't start out with great moves (the randomizer giveth in some 'mons, and it taketh away in others), so here's hoping she learns better ones as she levels up.

E

ErynCerise

Hey everyone! It's craaazy early in the morning for me to be up, but being a little under the weather tends to mess with one's sleep schedule. While it sucks that I'm up, the benefit is - Episode 2 finished rendering and uploading (as Eryn helpfully pointed out)! First tho:
@DevilofDarkness: I knooow! I've gotten crazy lucky with my catches. Does my luck keep up, however? Or does fate take a bizarre turn? We shall seee....Thanks for watching and thanks for taking the time to comment!

@Eryn: Whoopsie - actually, Episode 2 wasn't supposed to be public. I do mean for them to be unlisted for the time being, I may make them public later. Thanks for that! And I would -love- to add sidebars....I just...y'know...don't know how >.> It's been so long since I've done -any- videos of any kind, I'm just kinda wingin' it. If you guys would like to see them, I'd be happy to add them in when I learn how!
And without further ado, Episode 2!
Episode 3 is already recorded for the most part - I had to split Episode 2 into two episodes due to length, but there may not be enough content left for a whole episode. If there is, I hope to have it up later...uh, today. Thanks again for watching!
Already Episode 3, as promised! A shorter episode this time, as it was originally going to be in Episode 2, but I had to split it to keep the time down. Here we go!

K

Kodart

Oh, ouch, harsh hit to the team this episode! Hey, if the randomizer is mainly picking normal type moves for normal types (I'm assuming there's some sort of type category set-up it can pick the movepool from?) doesn't that mean that every normal pokemon you meet now has a chance to know either explosion or self-destruct? Brr.
You've got pokeballs walking into that fight at a low level too, I usually grind my team up til lvl 14 before going in there. What if he'd had a legendary? That's slaughterville central! Please don't die.. ^^'
Edit: Ha, you updated while I watching! :P Yay~ gonna watch me some three.

K

Kodart

I have a few things that are saving me from wipe-central via Legendary: No legendaries can be used in the trainer's Pokemon, but likewise means I cannot -catch- any Legendaries in the wild. The only legendaries in the game are the statics (like Reshiram and Zekrom).

But, yeah - hefty hit to the team, unfortunately. T-T Whyyy!?

Though Episode 3 kinda makes up for it.

K

Kodart

Good to hear you have a bit of a safety net where the legendaries are concerned, most randomiser runs perish horribly at the hands of lvl 8 entei as far as I've seen :(
Niiiiice catch I get the title reference now, haha. I was like 'switchtowitswitchtowitswitchtowitcooooomeonnn' throughout that whole experience btw, that was a close thing. I'm sure it'll be worth the grind.

K

Kodart

Word's cannot express how relieved I was when I remembered Wit had Cut. I looked at it and thought 'OOOH RIGHT!'. I was afraid I had another Unownhead on my hands.

I'm really...-really- hoping I can keep Ari alive. So far I've not met with much success, but now I know to be on guard for the Patrat line. Watchogs are guardians of all the known universe, and if you fail their judgement, their Patrat minions will come for you T-T

E

ErynCerise

Finished watching episode 2 and followed up with episode 3. Noooooo, Ritaaaaaa ;_; (and also Unownheeeaad). Glad you got some vengeance kills in, at least. Seems like Phoebe and Wit make a good battling pair. Basculin is really good in the early game, since it's a one-stage-only Pokemon. You'll just have to be careful later in the game, when most Pokemon will start getting stronger than her. With any luck, training her from such a low level will mean that the extra EVs will keep her boosted up high enough to stay viable.

Anyway, hopefully Ari will catch up with the others soon! Love that you're continuing the gender-bucking trend with his name, BTW. ;)

E

ErynCerise

Ugh, I know T-T so bummed out about losing Rita and Unownhead - more so after reading all the positive things people were saying about Sigilyphs. Argh! Why me T-T

I really, really hope Ari makes up for it. Heh, I first saw Ari and though 'Ooh! I'll name her Ari. Perfect!' Then I realized that it was male.

I think this is turning into a gender-bucking run, like you said. So far, Phoebe is the only one who's really holding the bar where it is. Wit, while it could be short for Whitney, could also be just 'Wit' for a male, and Ari is much the same way. Time will tell.

E

ErynCerise

Oh man, windows on the outside but not the inside. Clearly there's skeletons or something walled off from the rest of the house, like in that one part of Deep Red. :o

Oooo shiny. And a Lillipup is a great catch, too! Stoutland is a freaking boss Normal type, and was the backbone of my team in my first Black playthrough. Admittedly I had to Google "Loran" to find out what the reference might be. But after looking it up, turns out I do know of the show, assuming it's Turn A Gundam! Does that count for something? Hahaha. I haven't seen the show, but I do have some of the music, which I like. :)

lol, I love that Watchog and his ever-present Judgement is becoming a running gag.

Only other thing I'll add is that 42 minutes is a bit long for a Pokemon LP video. Your commentary is usually able to carry it, so it's not a huge deal, but I'd shoot for around the 15-20 minutes range for future vids, or 30 minutes at most. That's the butter zone I've found during my own videolocke, based on viewer feedback and my own observations.

K

Kodart

Ah that was a good episode, really nice turn around especially with Loran (sooooo jelly I haven't seen a shiny in ages, even though I keep replaying X and apparently have a higher chance of finding them in the hordes there, eh..). Just a heads up, Toxicroak is poison/fighting, so might not be the safest grind-bait around (though its movepool seems pretty safe so far). The other thing to know is that Flatter effects SpAttack, not physical attack, so that combo won't work out. If Ari gets the chance to learn Swagger, that would be the way you'd play it. Good luck with Lenora!

K

Kodart

Reply time!

@Eryn: Evil house is evil. But yes! The reference was indeed Loran Cehack from Turn A Gundam. The reference, though, refers to a point in the show where people begin to believe that the pilot of Turn A Gundam is a woman, forcing Loran to masquerade as 'Laura Rolla', even going so far as to cross-dress during public appearances. I...may find the end result of 'Laura' a bit more attractive than I should.

Also - Harry Ord is my hero. Just sayin'.

Concerning the length - I did worry that this one dragged on a little long. I was torn between how much I should cut out and how much I should keep in - I opted to make this one a little longer since the previous one was shorter than the average I was shooting for (which was the 30 minutes or so you described.)

I'll try to shoot for 30 more strictly in the future.

@Kodart: Yikes...I didn't know that about Toxicroak. I'll bear that in mind for the future.

Ah - and concerning the 'Flatter' combo I mentioned. I was more referring to the fact that Foul Play uses the target's Attack stat - I kept flatter becuase if I came across a target with a high Attack stat, I could use flatter to confuse them, and while they're confused get in my shots with Foul Play. It was the confusion I was gunning for.

Thanks for the well wishes concerning Lenora! I'm absolutely terrified ^_^.

K

Kodart

Oh, hey guys! What's goin' on? Not much here jus- WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

Minor detail here - my volume controls seemed to have gone a bit wonky for my mic, so I'm louder in this episode for some reason. Not sure what the deal is.

K

Kodart

Oh noes, its one of my favourite disappointing pokemon. I say this because I quite like Ekans design, but they were always such a pain to train in the early gens that I kinda gave up on them. Lucky for Melfie she was born in a generation when poison-type became something you could actually have on your team to do non-chipping type damage (I am so impatient, I could never handle having a team that relied on poison/paralysis/wall tactics to slowly wear down the enemy). Viva la venom~
P.s: I've always been happy to see nuzlockers using both areas, they're full of different pokemon after all. Whatever floats your boat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)